PDA

View Full Version : PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Mikey_Jones
August 8th, 2017, 5:19 AM
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS is a last-man-standing shooter being developed with community feedback. Players must fight to locate weapons and supplies in a massive 8x8 km island to be the lone survivor. This is BATTLE ROYALE.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/578080/PLAYERUNKNOWNS_BATTLEGROUNDS/

It's a 100 person last man standing on a huge map which you can do solo, in a pair or as a group of 4. It's a ton of fun and has picked up a lot of steam lately - it had over 500,000 concurrent players at one point. It's still in early access so there's changes all the time but generally they are good for the game. They've recently added a first person mode as well. It's a bit pricey at £27, especially for a game still in early access but it's been worth it so far

Anyone else been playing this recently?

Reech
August 8th, 2017, 5:30 AM
I generally avoid Early Access on principle.

There's not much office vibe for it, which is surprising. Thought most of my lot would be all over it.

Reech
August 8th, 2017, 5:51 AM
Realised that my post was just poo-pooing.

I have also heard it's a lot of fun and is getting a ton of support from the developers so will hopefully be worth playing for a long time once the initial buzz has died down.

RFF Champ
August 8th, 2017, 6:39 AM
This looks like a better version of The Ship.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 8th, 2017, 7:42 AM
My mates from Uni play it and wanted me to play too, however it's one of them games where I feel like if I'm not good at it - it'll just be shit.

...and I never get better at things anymore.... so I'd be perpetually shit. :happysad:

Wasn't there some "thing" recently about micro-transactions or something becoming an issue? Or did I skim read some article incorrectly.

RuneEdge
August 8th, 2017, 7:46 AM
Seen this become quite popular amongst YouTubers recently. Was planning on giving this a go at some point until I realised its £27 and still in early access. And judging by the Steam comments, it looks like everyone's been shitting on the devs for breaking their "no micro-transactions until full release" promise.
I'm OK at FPS games but not good enough to compete against a decent player consistently. So having micro-transactions which allow players to have an edge on top of this kinda ruins the fun for me. I don't know the details about what the purchases get you in the game, but I don't like the sound of it. And also, seeing the early access cost £27, and then the devs breaking their promise just sounds like yet another dev group getting greedy once their game became popular and the money started rolling in. It wouldn't surprise me at this stage if this turns into yet another game that never gets a full release in the end, since financially they're doing well with the game in its current state.

Reech
August 8th, 2017, 8:00 AM
This looks like a better version of The Ship.

Fuck me that was a good game.

Assassin's Creed ripped off in a fun way though for their MP.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 8th, 2017, 8:02 AM
Completely randomly, Rampage Jackson plays it .. Live on Twitch..

https://www.twitch.tv/rampageishuman

Well... that's worlds colliding...

Pablo Diablo
August 8th, 2017, 8:08 AM
RuneEdge the micro-transactions are solely for skins, so it's not a competitive advantage sort of thing if that's what would turn you off.

People are still upset about that though because it is micro-transactions all the same and they can't even claim they need these micro-transactions because they're running out of money. They have been making a killing off of it.

I only have a laptop, so that's what's kept me from getting into this game.

RuneEdge
August 8th, 2017, 8:50 AM
My understanding is that you pay something like $2.50 for a key, that opens a crate with random stuff inside. Do these not have guns or whatever in them?

BTW, that's another thing some people moan about, which is the fact that you pay money and not even know what you're getting. But to be fair, its the direction that the game industry is heading.
It sort of started with FIFA Ultimate Team and it's "packs" system, and now other games like Gears of War, Halo, etc have adopted it.

Pablo Diablo
August 8th, 2017, 8:51 AM
The crates just contain skins. And yes the whole gambling system of micro-transactions is annoying.

Reech
August 8th, 2017, 8:58 AM
Loot crates are the current thing in the games industry. Everyone's trying to jump on that bandwagon.

RuneEdge
August 8th, 2017, 9:16 AM
To be honest, I don't really mind the system if it was implemented in a way that made it reasonable. Most games I play, you could end up spending shit load of money and not get anything close to your money's worth.
On the other hand there are games like WWE Supercard that reward you by basically guaranteeing you something good after X amount of random draws, so you know eventually you'll get something decent.

But I guess that's all a moot point if in this case its all about skins and nothing more.