Simon
July 31st, 2017, 9:00 AM
Same as usual boys!

If things go well...

Being realistic...

Worst case scenario...

It's a big season for...

Keep an eye out for this young lad...

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...

Murphy
July 31st, 2017, 9:45 AM
If things go well...

Top 4. Don't see us competing at the very top. That said, without hoping to jinx anything, we have a settled team and the big spenders have a lot of players that need to settle in, so who knows. Especially if we can get going at Wembley. Big if there though.

Being realistic...

Competing with Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton, maybe West Ham, for 4th.

Worst case scenario...

Struggle hard at Wembley and get relegated. :D

It's a big season for...

Erik Lamela and Harry Winks. Trippier will just slot right in at right-back. Last chance saloon for Vincent Janssen too.

Don't keep any eye on the youth, sadly, other than what I hear on here from Simon.

To not lose any more. Walker wasn't ideal, but the money we got, it's clear that we were quite happy for him to move on. I expect Barkley to join and that's quite meh to me, especially the wage he'll be on. Doesn't improve on what we have for me.

Andy
July 31st, 2017, 10:01 AM
If things go well... Top 4, Europa League triumph

Being realistic... Top 6, maybe a good run in a cup

Worst case scenario... Mid table, no trophies

It's a big season for... Ox if he stays. Wenger I guess.

Keep an eye out for this young lad... the only youngster I see getting much game time is Holding.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need... Replacement for Sanchez if he goes, right back if Ox goes. Seems like there's a decent chance of Elneny and Wilshere going so another midfielder probably.

MMH
July 31st, 2017, 10:04 AM
If things go well...

I dont see any reason why we can not challenge the top 4. We have some flaws in the squad still but generally its strong.

Being realistic...

7th place again. Boring.

Worst case scenario...
Nothing gels as we have had a large turnover of players. We have a tough start to the season and may never recover from it. Anything below 7th is not enough.

It's a big season for...

Wayne Rooney I suppose. I'm not holding my breathe though.

Kieran Dowell has been scoring some cracking goals in pre season. I'm not convinced Koeman fancies him though. Im hoping that Jonjoe Kenny gets some time at RB. He is a proper old school RB, can tackle, can cross and is a good all rounder.

A target man like Giroud would be ideal. Could also do with a bit of pace going forward. At the back we have no left back cover and could really do with another centre back. Keane has looked really promising so far but Mori is dead and Jagielka and Williams are playing like they are running in molasses.

Murphy
July 31st, 2017, 10:05 AM
I fully expect Wenger to play severely weakened teams in the Europa League, no? I just can't see him giving that competition much thought.

Peter Griffin
July 31st, 2017, 10:11 AM
If things go well...

Automatic promotion

Being realistic...

Play-offs

Worst case scenario...

Mid table mediocrity and Mel goes mad and we have 3 managers in 1 season again.

It's a big season for...
Bradley Johnson I think, He has all the tools and has shown glimpses, If he puts it all together consistently I believe he can be one of the best CM's in the league.

Mason Bennett, Make or break season as far as his Derby career goes for the 21 year old 'veteran' :lol:

Centre back (Bin Shackell), Wide forward, Maybe another CM, Butterfield just isn't cutting the mustard for me (I would start with Hudd, Bradley and Bryson).

RFF Champ
July 31st, 2017, 10:22 AM
Won't get the plaudits from who? Butters is a class act.

Form fairy has had a busy 6 months, Peter.

Beefy
July 31st, 2017, 10:27 AM
If things go well...
Champions.

Being realistic...
Top six definitely. I think we'll be top two though.

Worst case scenario...
Injuries to key players as we've a tiny squad. The stadium deal collapses again drying up the magic well of money that has built such a strong side, the players don't get paid, the big names leave in January and we struggle all year.

It's a big season for...
Ryan Leonard. Wants to play Championship football next year. We've turned down bids from Millwall and Sheffield United and it looks like we'll let him run down his contract and leave for free instead of selling now. He'll need to play well to get his big move next year.

Dru Yearwood is getting a huge amount of buzz. 17 year old, converted winger now playing central midfield. Has been the stand-point player in pre-season and rewarded with a four year contract.

A centre half (Rob Kiernan should be joining today), a midfielder if there's any chance of losing Leonard and a couple of Premier League U21s to give us depth at the back and in midfield.

Peter Griffin
July 31st, 2017, 10:30 AM
Form fairy has had a busy 6 months, Peter.

Time change, people move on.

Simon
July 31st, 2017, 10:46 AM
If things go well...We win the league. It's a big ask but we have the most settled side of any of the contenders and were the best team in the league over the second half of last season.

Being realistic...We don't quite reach the levels of the previous two years as we have stood still while everyone around us has spent big, and we end up fighting for the CL spots - there's probably going to be fuck all difference between third and sixth this year, so it's a toss-up whether we make to four or not.

Worst case scenario...Can't see a major implosion, I think worst case scenario is we're the worst of the leading pack and finish sixth, possibly seventh if an up and coming team like Everton have a good season.

It's a big season for...Trippier is the obvious choice I guess, he's stepping into some big shoes and while there are certain things he does a lot better than Walker, overall I don't think he's up to the same standard. Once Lamela is back fit he could have a huge impact too.

Keep an eye out for this young lad...not sure any completely new names will be making an impact this season, although Edwards has just - finally - signed a new contract and so will be closer to the first team (Poch has a policy of not playing any youngsters who are holding out on signing new deals, preferring to give opportunities to the kids he knows are staying longer-term). Onomah and Walker-Peters are both going to be in the first-team squad this season and there are high expectations for them.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...ideally a proper replacement for Walker, a striker and an attacking mid, but I suspect we won't get much, money is tight with the stadium move and Poch seems to trust Janssen and Trippier to be good enough. This summer has very much been about keeping our current squad together and, Walker aside, we've managed it.

Beefy
July 31st, 2017, 10:51 AM
Worst case scenario...
Injuries to key players as we've a tiny squad.

As soon as I posted this it was tweeted out that Ben Coker has broken his leg today. :(

son_of_foley
July 31st, 2017, 11:00 AM
If things go well...
Champions.

Being realistic...
Top six definitely. I think we'll be top two though.

Worst case scenario...
Injuries to key players as we've a tiny squad. The stadium deal collapses again drying up the magic well of money that has built such a strong side, the players don't get paid, the big names leave in January and we struggle all year.

It's a big season for...
Ryan Leonard. Wants to play Championship football next year. We've turned down bids from Millwall and Sheffield United and it looks like we'll let him run down his contract and leave for free instead of selling now. He'll need to play well to get his big move next year.

Dru Yearwood is getting a huge amount of buzz. 17 year old, converted winger now playing central midfield. Has been the stand-point player in pre-season and rewarded with a four year contract.

A centre half (Rob Kiernan should be joining today), a midfielder if there's any chance of losing Leonard and a couple of Premier League U21s to give us depth at the back and in midfield.

I wonder if quoting it will cause more injuries.

Phil Brown was on the radio yesterday jinxing the fuck out of injuries btw

Andy
July 31st, 2017, 11:23 AM
I fully expect Wenger to play severely weakened teams in the Europa League, no? I just can't see him giving that competition much thought.

I really hope not. We haven't come close in the CL for a decade so this season is probably Wenger's best chance of leading Arsenal to a European trophy. There's also an argument for the Man United strategy of it being a better way back into the Champions League.

Also I'm hoping we go to some random countries people don't fancy and that there'll be tickets to be had. I'd love to go on a couple of trips.

Hlebsfall
July 31st, 2017, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I'd love a trip to somewhere like Botev Plovdiv, I had a great time when I went to watch them on my mates stag a couple of years ago.

Anyway..

If things go well...

Top four. Arsenal seem further away than ever from challenging for the title, so that's out of the question

Being realistic...

6th of 7th depending on how Everton do. Looking at the current squad and sticking with Wenger, I can't see there being any improvement from last season.

Worst case scenario...

They fall even further away

It's a big season for...

Wenger, to show that the board were justified in giving him a new 2 year contract, and that he's the right choice to move the team forward.

As Andy said, only Holding will get any real first team action. Keep an eye on Nelson if he plays in the league cup.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...[/QUOTE]

A central midfielder. Xhaka and Ramsey isn't good enough and you can't rely on a half dead Cazorla coming back into the team. Elneney and Coquelin are shit, and Wenger should be more ruthless in moving mediocre players like these on. Also a decent centre back wouldn't go amiss. What do I expect? Probably a 5th choice panic buy transfer target near deadline day as usual.

MikeHunt
July 31st, 2017, 4:11 PM
If things go well...
Champions and a cup

Being realistic...
2nd place and a cup

Worst case scenario...
3rd place and no cups

It's a big season for...
Pedro Caixinha

Alfredo Morelos could be great could be shite. We shall see...

Right back, left back and Jamie Walker.

Beefy
July 31st, 2017, 4:26 PM
What's the story with Kiernan MH? I know he's had a shocker but has it been since day one at Rangers?

MikeHunt
July 31st, 2017, 4:34 PM
He's crap, I think Pedro wants rid.

He was fine in the championship but looks an absolute bombscare and very low on confidence. Same can be said for Danny Wilson.

Beefy
July 31st, 2017, 4:46 PM
He's supposedly signing for us this week

Dreyski
July 31st, 2017, 4:52 PM
If things go well... Top 2.

Being realistic... Sell our 'best' players, finish top half.

Worst case scenario... Sell our 'best' players, Mowbray walks, administration.

It's a big season for... Darragh Lenihan. If he stays, it would be a big boost to our promotion prospects, especially becuase Mulgrew ain't going to play a whole season.

Keep an eye out for this young lad... David Raya. The young keeper got his big chance last season as part of a defence that conceded 2 goals in 5 games. The position is his to lose.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need... A central defender, a striker, and a back-up/experienced keeper, If the first two are 'bully boys' that would be much appreciated too.

MikeHunt
July 31st, 2017, 4:52 PM
I'd be concerned.

Simon
July 31st, 2017, 4:59 PM
Stan Accy is Joe Rankin-Costello any good? I only ask cos in every single game of FM I've played on 17 he gets bought by a big club early on but never amounts to anything. I'm sick to death of him and I've never even seen him play.

RuneEdge
July 31st, 2017, 5:52 PM
If things go well...
League title, I guess

Being realistic...
2nd or 3rd behind City and Chelsea, and one of the domestic cups.

Worst case scenario...
Finish 5th or worse.

It's a big season for...
A few guys in the team. The obvious one is Pogba. This is the year where he's supposed to show what he's capable of. With a year under his belt, better understanding of the team and the manager, plus with Matic being brought in, he'll be low on excuses for not living up to his price tag.
The next one is Martial. He's turning into one of those players who's good, but not consistent enough. Like Nani in the past, he's not good enough to start, but then makes the argument that he needs a run of games to perform better. Competition in the league will be tight as ever, which won't afford him many chances. If he has a season like the last, I fully expect him to be sold in the next summer. His incredible potential is why he's still here.
Luke Shaw is in the same position. Maybe worse since he's probably 3rd choice at left back now behind Blind and Darmian. And funnily enough, he's the only "proper" left back out of the three. Injuries have hampered his progression and while it could be excused every once in a while, this has been his problem for the last 2 seasons now. He was also one of the few players the manager openly called out for his lack of commitment and fitness, so he's got a point to prove here with a fresh start. Has always had a lot of potential but like Martial, we'll probably cash in on him in the summer while he's still young and worth something.

Andreas Pereira, if he counts. He's 21 now I think, and people have known about him for years. Came from our youth set up, and from the same "class" as Januzaj. While Januzaj was promoted to the senior team 3 years ago, Pereira was left behind. Not sure why since their abilities at the time seemed like they were on a similar level. Pereira stayed with the United reserves (whilst making the odd friendly and League Cup appearance) until last season where he went on loan to Granada. He pretty much became a first team player there and started over 30 games for them last season.
He's now back and has featured in a few games this preseason. Not sure where he fits into this side though since his natural position is at #10 (where we have a handful of options). But Jose's apparently blocked any chance of him going out on loan again and looks like he's going to use him.
I'm expecting him to start the League Cup games and maybe used as squad rotation in the league for fitness reasons. He definitely has the potential to nick a spot on the bench or even the starting XI if one of the regulars start slacking, so I'd keep an eye on him.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...[/QUOTE]
I personally would be happy with what we have. The manager wants a winger though. Perisic is the one we're after, but I'm concerned with the price tag and where it leaves the wingers we currently have.
Sources in France link us to Aurier, who (while not needed) would be gladly welcomed.

Dreyski
July 31st, 2017, 6:10 PM
Stan Accy is Joe Rankin-Costello any good? I only ask cos in every single game of FM I've played on 17 he gets bought by a big club early on but never amounts to anything. I'm sick to death of him and I've never even seen him play.
Chances are he'll be on the bench most games - he's played in a couple of the pre-season friendlies - but he hasn't stood out in the past two seasons as a prospect in the reserves or anything.
https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/development-squad/profiles/midfielder/joe-rankin-costello/
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/15318715.Three_Academy_graduates_who_could_make_th eir_breakthrough_for_Rovers_in_League_One_next_sea son/