PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember the 80s?

_me
May 14th, 2017, 12:21 PM
I only started watching football about 10 or 15 years ago and then it was just international tournaments. I never got into the leagues until the '10s. So I don't have a lot of history with the game. It seems like the England teams of the 80s had a lot of individual talent but didn't perform as a team well. I keep seeing the same names mentioned as great players but don't know anything about them (aside from reading their Wikipedia pages). Anyone have any info about these guys? Why they didn't reach the top level or (why they did) or who they compare to now? Who would have flourished in the modern open game and who needed the physical nature of the game back then to succeed? Some of the people I am thinking about: Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle, Bryan Robson, Gary Lineker.

As we get into the early 90s in is easier to find more info (but anything interesting about would still be great): Paul Gascoigne, Peter Beardsley, John Barnes.

I know the names and even what they accomplished but I would even take some great tales from the first 5 years of the Premier League legends: Alan Shearer, Eric Cantona.

Anyone want to relive their childhood and talk about your favorites…

RuneEdge
May 14th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I'm assuming based on the age of some of the British lads here including myself, Euro 96 will come up often in these discussions. It wasn't like the first time I watched football, but its the first memory I can recall some what clearly.
The funny thing looking back is that as much I enjoyed some of the moments from the tournament, I don't think I fully appreciated witnessing a major tournament hosted by England, that goal from Gazza, and seeing our national team go as far as being a penalty shootout away from the final. I guess it's partly down to age and the lowering expectations over the years. But if any of those things happened today, I'd lose my shit.

_me
May 14th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Just for reference for everyone: I am in America so I remember WC 1994 since it was here but didn't know anything about the game, let alone the players. I remember 1998 in France (my first football video game purchase) and then after 02 in Korea/Japan is when I was hooked for good. Still didn't know anything about the leagues. That was after 2006. By the 2010 WC, I was following transfers and more week to week stuff and every game was available here in the US.

I have no knowledge of Euros before 2004. I remember watching Greece win and hearing the announcers talk about how remarkable it was but didn't understand it. Seen them since.