PDA

View Full Version : Charging port

Canuck
May 1st, 2017, 2:22 PM
Wondering if anyone can answer a question regarding my laptop's charger port.

It dropped with the plug in and now won't charge. I opened it up and it looks like the section with the port has cracked (not fully through) on the motherboard. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

MTR
May 1st, 2017, 2:50 PM
From my experience from having a charging port go kind of bad on a laptop years ago. I took it to Best Buy. They said they could send it off and it maybe fixable by being welded but it may not fix it long term or it would need a new motherboard which at the point they suggest I just get a new laptop. Again that was years ago.

LOCONUT
May 1st, 2017, 7:44 PM
Does it work fully when you are plugged in?

If you aren't under warranty and can't get it fixed you may want to change it yourself. There are tons of tutorials on youtube.

Canuck
May 1st, 2017, 8:52 PM
I can change the port, but that whole section of the motherboard is cracked off. I can't get any connection to work for power.

LOCONUT
May 2nd, 2017, 4:42 AM
Post or PM me a photo.

LOCONUT
May 2nd, 2017, 6:53 PM
Hurley I don't think it is fixable but post your picture in here. Not really my area of expertise but I think you need to replace the motherboard. Maybe one of the other Bros here can assist

Canuck
May 2nd, 2017, 7:44 PM
https://ibb.co/kh1SwQ

Matthew
May 4th, 2017, 3:45 AM
i wouldn't charge any port unless i really didn't like my boat

The Rogerer
May 26th, 2017, 11:05 AM
That's very fucked. No-one will be willing to repair it for you, you might be able to solder something together but it's probably new laptop time, unless it has some althernative setup to let you dock and charge the laptop.

cbac
May 26th, 2017, 6:07 PM
I agree with the Rogerer.
Pull the HDD and take the rest to a recycle yard and pick up a few bucks.
The bright side is you get a fresh laptop.

Matthew
May 27th, 2017, 2:12 AM
what about boats, though? i know you got some boat info