PDA

View Full Version : Bellator 180: Silva vs.Sonnen, Madison Square Garden, June 24.

OD50
March 25th, 2017, 6:01 AM
Main card (PPV):
Chael Sonnen (29-15-1) vs. Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1, 1 NC) - Light Heavyweight
Fedor Emelianenko (36-4, 1 NC) vs. Matt Mitrione (11-5) - Heavyweight
Douglas Lima (28-6) vs. Lorenz Larkin (18-5, 1 NC) - Welterweight World Title
Michael Chandler (16-3) vs. Brent Primus (7-0) - Lightweight World Title
Aaron Pico (0-0) vs. Zach Freeman (8-2) - Lightweight

Prelims (Spike TV):
Phil Davis (17-3, 1 NC) vs. Ryan Bader (22-5) - Light Heavyweight World title
James Gallagher (6-0) vs. Chinzo Machida (5-2) - Featherweight
Neiman Gracie (5-0) vs. David Marfone (5-2) - Middleweight

Early Prelims (Spike.com)
Ryan Couture (10-5) vs. Haim Gozali (7-3) - Welterweight

Official preview:

Madison Square Garden, "The World's Most Famous Arena" and Mecca of combat sports, will host Bellator's first-ever mixed martial arts event in the state of New York on Saturday, June 24 with Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva. The blockbuster pay-per-view features two of the sport's most recognizable names in Chael Sonnen (29-15-1) and Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1, 1 NC), who will finally meet in a light heavyweight fight that has been brewing since 2011.

The double main event also features Fedor Emelianenko (36-4, 1 NC), an MMA legend that many consider to be the greatest heavyweight fighter of all-time, taking on Matt Mitrione (11-5) in a bout that will undoubtedly produce fireworks between the heavy-handed strikers.

Additionally, the Viacom-owned promotion is adding two world championship bouts. First, Douglas Lima (28-6) defends his belt against top free agent signing Lorenz Larkin (18-5, 1 NC) and then, current lightweight champ Michael Chandler (16-3) will put his world title on the line against the undefeated Brent Primus (7-0).

"As a fight promoter, my goal is to put together the biggest cards possible for our fans around the world," Bellator President Scott Coker said. "Bringing an event of this magnitude to a city and arena like New York and Madison Square Garden has been something Bellator, Spike and Viacom have wanted to make happen for quite some time. On June 24, the goal becomes reality, when we put on the biggest event in promotional history, 'Bellator NYC.'"

Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva takes place Saturday, June 24 and airs LIVE on pay-per-view beginning at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. Prior to the pay-per-view extravaganza, SPIKE will air Bellator 180 LIVE and FREE on both coasts, beginning at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT. Additionally, Bellator 180 prelims will air exclusively on Bellator.com and Bellator Mobile App at 6 p.m. ET/ 3 p.m. PT. Additional contests will be announced in the coming days.

Tickets for the event starting at $60, not including applicable service charges and taxes, go on sale Friday, March 31 at Ticketmaster, TheGarden.com and Bellator.com. Fans can sign up for Bellator Nation here to participate in a presale that will take place Wednesday, March 29-Thursday, March 30.

Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva will be distributed by G&G Closed Circuit Events to bars, restaurants and other commercial establishments throughout the U.S. and Canada. G&G Events is a leading provider of closed circuit television and has distributed some of the biggest events in sports, including De La Hoya vs. Mayweather, Mayweather vs. "Canelo" Alvarez and Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, as well as Bellator 120: Rampage vs. King Mo. "G&G is thrilled about Bellator being back in the pay-per-view business with this tremendous event. We look forward to handling the distribution nationwide and for Canada," said G&G President Nicolas Gagliardi. G&G Events can be contacted at www.ggccevents.com (http://www.ggccevents.com) or by phone at (888) 258-7115.

Additionally, through Bellator's global distribution partners, Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva will be available in over 140 countries around the world.

Sonnen spent a majority of his 44-fight career with the UFC, a run that saw him defeat current middleweight champion Michael Bisping, and compete against the likes of Jon Jones, Anderson Silva (twice), Rashad Evans, "Shogun" Rua, Demian Maia and Brian Stann. In addition to his in-ring action, the West Linn, Ore. native has mastered the art of being in front of the camera, doing broadcast work for both ESPN and Fox Sports. Following a three-year hiatus from active MMA competition, Sonnen returned to the cage against Tito Ortiz at Bellator 170 in January.

"The Axe Murderer" has fought in some of the most memorable feuds and battles the sport has ever seen. His wars with "Rampage" Jackson, Tito Ortiz, Mirko Cro Cop, Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson, Kazushi Sakuraba, Chuck Liddell and Michael Bisping remain some of the more memorable bouts in MMA history. Silva is far from ready to close the book on his illustrious career, returning to action against a man that he has despised for quite some time. In addition to the PRIDE middleweight title, Silva's trophy case includes awards for "Fight of the Year" (2003, 2004, 2007), KO of the Year (2008) and multiple "Fight of the Night" awards, including one for each of his last three fights. He now looks to continue entertaining fans inside the Bellator cage and begins with a bout several years in the making.

A former PRIDE champion, "The Last Emperor" is one of the most revered and respected heavyweight fighters the sport has seen. Stone-faced and quiet, Emelianenko boasted one of the most impressive unbeaten streaks in the history of MMA, not losing a bout between 2001 and 2009. A multi-time world champion in MMA and Sambo, Fedor recently returned to the sport after a brief hiatus, accumulating two decisive wins since his return to action.

Matt Mitrione remains poised to make an impact in the Bellator heavyweight division following two emphatic wins since signing with Bellator in 2016. The Illinois native and standout defensive end at Purdue University earned All-Big Ten honors in 2000 and subsequently earned his way into the NFL where he played six seasons as a member of the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings. Mitrione ultimately found his way into MMA where he became a high-level competitor, defeating the likes of the late Kimbo Slice, Derrick Lewis and Gabriel Gonzaga.

Hailing from Atlanta, Ga. "The Phenom" has been ruling the roost at 170-pounds in Bellator for the better part of three years. A winner of 16 of his last 18 contests, the American Top Team product remains set on doing away with all viable contenders at welterweight and his first step since reclaiming the strap from Andrey Koreshkov comes against one of Bellator's newest signees, Lorenz Larkin.

Set to enter the Bellator fray is a "Monsoon" of violent proportions – unanimously ranked on lists compiling the top-ten welterweights on the planet, Larkin is set to continue his career in Bellator, after inking an exclusive, multi-fight contract last week. A known finisher, the pride of Riverside, Calif. will make his promotional debut a winner of four out of five.

Chandler will look to defend his belt for the first time since successfully defending it in a "Fight of the Year" candidate against Benson Henderson last November. A 16-fight veteran of Bellator MMA, Chandler has consistently proven that he belongs among the world's elite, riding into his bout on June 24 on a streak of four straight victories.

Also a native of Oregon, the surging Primus remains unbeaten after five consecutive wins to begin his Bellator MMA career. At only 31, Primus has been committed to honing his craft since he was 13, going as far as to sell his landscaping business to keep his hopes of someday becoming a champion alive. On June 24, he finally has the opportunity to make his dreams come to fruition.

Mark Hammer
March 25th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I like that Larkin is getting a t.s. He deserved higher profile fights in the UFC.

Mik
March 25th, 2017, 1:47 PM
Fedor should always be main event.

Percussion
March 25th, 2017, 1:51 PM
Yes.

OD50
April 1st, 2017, 5:25 AM
King Mo vs. Ryan Bader has been added to the card, most likely a title eliminator.

Also James Gallagher vs. Chinzo Machida at FW. Chinzo is the older brother of Lyoto Machida while Gallagher is the protege of John Kavanagh/Conor McGregor at SBG. This is probably a showcase fight for the young, undefeated guy in the Irish lovin' MSG/NYC. Gallagher is 20 while Machida is 40. Gallagher is 3-0 in Bellator while Machida is 2-0.

OD50
April 1st, 2017, 5:41 AM
I like that Larkin is getting a t.s. He deserved higher profile fights in the UFC.
For sure, beating Magny and Masvidal back-to-back was impressive. The Tumenov loss was BS as well.

OD50
April 25th, 2017, 4:13 AM
King Mo is injured and we'll get Phil Davis/Ryan Bader II for the LHW title instead. Could be a good fight, I watched the first one live in the arena and it was pretty dreadful, hopefully this will deliver. It will be the main event of the prelims on Spike.

I don't have a problem with Bader getting the instant title shot here, he's coming off two KO wins in the UFC and defeated Davis in 2015.

Nash Diesel
April 25th, 2017, 10:00 AM
I'm kind of thinking the WW title should be the Spike main event but I get why they're doing it I guess....ratings...or something lol. Not sure what a guy who's 0-0 is doing on the ppv main card....but Bellator is kind of like the TNA of MMA so "LOLBellator"

Fanny Batter
April 25th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I love the novelty of the card. Wanderlei and Fedor are 2 guys that O.G. fans are going to tune in for and root for. Sonnen will talk a big game but hopefully get dusted. I want Fedor vs. Wanderlei for the second PPV if both win, the 2 longtime PRIDE champions. The Lima/Larkin fight is high end MMA. Chandler is the biggest homegrown star. Then 2 guys who have main evented FOX shows, both on good streaks, as the "prelim" main event for a title and realistically a spot just behind Jones, Cormier and possibly Gus in the 205 rankings.

OD50
April 25th, 2017, 1:47 PM
I'm kind of thinking the WW title should be the Spike main event but I get why they're doing it I guess....ratings...or something lol. Not sure what a guy who's 0-0 is doing on the ppv main card....but Bellator is kind of like the TNA of MMA so "LOLBellator"
Pico is a super prospect whom Bellator has high hopes for, and I think he was the one who wanted to debut on the biggest stage available, so no lack of confidence there. He was super close to making the US Olympic wrestling team at age 18 or 19 and he won gold at the Golden Gloves in 2009.

Looks like quite a risky fight for you debut though, he's fighting an 8-2 guy who fought for the RFA LW title in his last fight.

OD50
April 25th, 2017, 2:07 PM
Wouldn't shock me if they put AJ McKee on the prelims of this card as well, speaking of prospects.. He made his debut in Bellator as well and is 8-0 now with 6 finishes, pretty sick LHK finish in his latest fight, the Meeko Crocop kick.. He said he wanted on this card, so why not. I used to really dislike his old man back in the day though, boring ass LnP'er. with 21 decisions in 29 wins.

OD50
April 26th, 2017, 4:42 AM
Ryan Couture (10-5) vs. Haim Gozali (7-3) and Neiman Gracie (5-0) vs. David Marfone (5-2) has been added to the prelims. The Couture fight will be on Spike.com while Grace will on the Spike TV broadcast.

OD50
June 21st, 2017, 3:20 AM
Bumping this. Coming up this Saturday.

Spedizzo
June 21st, 2017, 10:32 AM
Chinzo Machida and Ryan Bader should be on the main card. Michael Chandler should be the main event. I know they are trying to get people to buy the event, but still? Ryan Bader vs. Davis will most likely be a shit fight anyway and won't get anyone eager to order. It might actually have the opposite effect. When UFC put Eddie Alvarez/Porier on the pre-lims it was because they knew they would be throwing bombs.

Who is 0-0 Aaron Pico and why is he on the main card over everyone fighting a guy who is 8-2? Is he related to someone at Bellator or Spike?

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 11:14 AM
Chinzo Machida and Ryan Bader should be on the main card. Michael Chandler should be the main event. I know they are trying to get people to buy the event, but still? Ryan Bader vs. Davis will most likely be a shit fight anyway and won't get anyone eager to order. It might actually have the opposite effect. When UFC put Eddie Alvarez/Porier on the pre-lims it was because they knew they would be throwing bombs.

Who is 0-0 Aaron Pico and why is he on the main card over everyone fighting a guy who is 8-2? Is he related to someone at Bellator or Spike?

Why should Chinzo be on the main card? Bader v. Davis I get that because they're more well known among MMA fans but these prelims are airing on Spike. So they want ratings to get there, and trust me, the idea isn't to draw people to the ppv with that fight. Pico was someone I wasn't sure about until someone in here told me he was a huge prospect so I assume that's why.

You think Chandler would draw like Fedor, Wanderlai, or Chael? Ask 5,000 random people on the street who Michael Chandler is and you'll probably find 1 that does.

Mark Hammer
June 21st, 2017, 11:55 AM
Because maybe someone will confuse him for Lyoto and buy the ppv.

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 11:59 AM
Because maybe someone will confuse him for Lyoto and buy the ppv.

haha, I guess.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 2:04 PM

He's arguably the most intriguing mma prospect the sport's seen.

Natural Born Fighter (http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19671777/aaron-pico-next-mma-superstar)

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 2:08 PM
I need to keep my ear to the ground because to be honest outside of today and the last time I brought him up months ago, I've never heard of him. Before, or since. But that's also because I'm so fucking distant from MMA these days I can barely keep up with the top 5 guys and not just the top 5 of each division I mean like the top 5 in general like McGregor, Jones, etc.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 3:22 PM
Someone on sherdog (I know, nonetheless) summed up his background heading into his debut..

Wrestling:
As a freshman in high school, Aaron won the California State Championships at his weight class. He was undefeated on the season with no match being within 10 points. This is especially impressive as California does not have extra divisions depending on the size of the school like most other states. He was regarded as the P4P best HS wrestler in the country as a freshman.
As high school wrestlers weren't a challenge and he did not have plans to wrestle in college, this was the last he competed in folkstyle (traditional American style) wrestling.
He won Cadet National and World Gold Medals twice in freestyle wrestling (2012 and 2013).
He won Junior Nationals twice and medaled at the Worlds both years taking Silver in 2014 and Bronze in 2015 (in 2014, he lost to 2016 Olympic Gold Medal Winner Hassan Yazdani-Charati 9-2 in the finals).
He then moved on to senior level competiton competing against much older men. He took 2nd at the US World Team Trials at 65kg losing to Frank Molinaro in a best of 3, 2 matches to 1. Frank went on to take 5th at the Olympics.
6 wins to 0 over reigning Hodge Trophy winner (collegiate wrestling's equivalent of the Heisman Trophy) Zain Retherford.
Aaron has stated since his youth that he is a better boxer than a wrestler.

Boxing and Pankration:
He won the national PAL championship in 2008 and was national junior golden gloves champion in 2009. He won most outstanding boxer at both tournaments.
In pankration, he was a national champion in 2008.
Won the golden cup European pankration championship.
Won California state championships in both sports.
Undefeated as an Amateur Boxer

He was training part time at AKA while still competing in Freestyle wrestling events for years until he officially retired from wrestling to focus on MMA in the spring of 2016.

Also read he's been training not only at AKA but with Eddie Bravo on the ground and Freddie Roach standing up.

Here's the kid boxing 7 years ago..

https://youtu.be/lATI_y7-AAQ

Spedizzo
June 21st, 2017, 3:53 PM
Why should Chinzo be on the main card? Bader v. Davis I get that because they're more well known among MMA fans but these prelims are airing on Spike. So they want ratings to get there, and trust me, the idea isn't to draw people to the ppv with that fight. Pico was someone I wasn't sure about until someone in here told me he was a huge prospect so I assume that's why.

You think Chandler would draw like Fedor, Wanderlai, or Chael? Ask 5,000 random people on the street who Michael Chandler is and you'll probably find 1 that does.

No, Chandler obviously wouldn't draw like the above mentioned, I mentioned that as a cynical fan.

Exactly the reason I would have Chinzo on the main card is because he is related to Machida and because he looked good in his last fight from what I remembered.

I have no idea who Aaron Pico is, even if he is a prospect. He has no professional fights. I consider myself a pretty up to date fan of MMA, I doubt any average or casual fan will have any idea who he is when ordering the PPV.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 4:10 PM
I have no idea who Aaron Pico is, even if he is a prospect. He has no professional fights. I consider myself a pretty up to date fan of MMA, I doubt any average or casual fan will have any idea who he is when ordering the PPV.

Who said they would?

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 4:11 PM
So basically we're looking at a kid who has that BJ Penn-type hype coming in to MMA? Sounds good to me. Interested to see what his hands look like now as opposed to when he was 11-13 years old.

Who's the other big prospect, young black dude I can't remember his name but I think he's had maybe 1 or 2 fights already. I can't even tell you what promotion, I just remember reading about a younger black dude who was coming in to MMA and he was some high level type wrestler.

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 4:12 PM
Who said they would?

Nobody did. It's a partial response to a post I made in response to him saying Michael Chandler should be main eventing. Keep up slick.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 4:47 PM
Nobody did. It's a partial response to a post I made in response to him saying Michael Chandler should be main eventing. Keep up slick.

He asked who Pico was and why was he main card. You gave a brief answer. His reply that casual fans wouldn't know him wasn't continuous at all a response, partial or not.

That would be keeping up, after all.

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 5:09 PM
He asked who Pico was and why was he main card. You gave a brief answer. His reply that casual fans wouldn't know him wasn't continuous at all a response, partial or not.

That would be keeping up, after all.

Your reply was odd though. "Who said they would?" Who said they wouldn't?

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 5:15 PM
Your reply was odd though. "Who said they would?" Who said they wouldn't?

Right. Who began any question that would beget his response. And no one would ask why they wouldn't, as that's obvious.

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 5:21 PM
Well I think in a way dude is saying why put this guy on the main card with Phil Davis/Bader in a title fight on the prelims? Prospects making their debut on the main card of a ppv at MSG is pretty big and sets the tone for this kid to deliver, I get that, but I also get the idea that maybe this is too big of a spot for him and Davis/Bader, being 2 recognizable names in this sport, 2 of the top 5 guys at LHW in the World, are fighting on the prelims. But the prelims are on Spike so that's probably going to give them more eyes than what the ppv will....To which that I say, maybe they should have put this kid on the prelims, it'll get more eyes on him than the ppv buys will.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 5:42 PM
They've invested in the kid. They're hoping he's their Jon Jones, GSP, Conor, etc. And here we are taking about him more than we would if he were just on the prelims.

Nash Diesel
June 21st, 2017, 5:47 PM
They've invested in the kid. They're hoping he's their Jon Jones, GSP, Conor, etc. And here we are taking about him more than we would if he were just on the prelims.

Ah yeah I remember when GSP made his MMA debut at MSG on the main card while Chuck Liddell defended the LHW title on the prelims.

In all seriousness, I get it. Never said I didn't get WHY they were doing it. (and yes I know YOU didn't imply that I didn't know why they were putting him on the main card). And I think we'd be talking about this kid regardless but the fact that it's somewhat of a negative conversation "Why is this guy on the main card?" doesn't exactly mean it's a good thing...I think too many people are convinced "any publicity is good publicity" is a real thing. I'm sure you're not one of those people, we can just pretty much count on you saying the opposite of what I'm saying so no need to respond, just make a negative of my post and that's the majority of your replies.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 5:49 PM
What?

Mik
June 21st, 2017, 6:01 PM
Just tell him to fuck off.

Pico looks like he has all the tools, just need to see how his chin holds up.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 6:11 PM
Is Aaron Pico the greatest prospect in MMA history? (http://www.espn.com/mma/)

This is the espn main mma headline story. Not Fedor, not Wandy, certainly not Phil Davis or Ryan fucking Bader. Not even Conor for now. This kid. And that's clearly not the lead Bellator should want to bury on the prelims.

Percussion
June 21st, 2017, 6:17 PM
Rumor has it his chin held up better than Josh Thompson's..

But truly it will be thoroughly interesting to see how he handles the first time he gets clipped solid by a legit pro. His demeanor and whatnot make me think he'll be more alright than not. These gym rat wrestlers always seem to be made of granite, chin and all.

Nash Diesel
June 22nd, 2017, 12:14 PM
Just tell him to fuck off.

Pico looks like he has all the tools, just need to see how his chin holds up.

Why don't you do it for him?

Pico will kick ass.

Is Aaron Pico the greatest prospect in MMA history? (http://www.espn.com/mma/)

This is the espn main mma headline story. Not Fedor, not Wandy, certainly not Phil Davis or Ryan fucking Bader. Not even Conor for now. This kid. And that's clearly not the lead Bellator should want to bury on the prelims.

Definitely agree 110%. Once people realize WHY this kid is on the main card then it softens the blow. Plus, you have to think they want a big fight on Spike, Davis v. Bader 5 rounds for the LHW championship is a big fight I don't care if people like their style or not.

Rumor has it his chin held up better than Josh Thompson's..

But truly it will be thoroughly interesting to see how he handles the first time he gets clipped solid by a legit pro. His demeanor and whatnot make me think he'll be more alright than not. These gym rat wrestlers always seem to be made of granite, chin and all.

Agree on that last part for sure, this kid seems to be ready to rock.

Spedizzo
June 22nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
My point about Pico is I would have thought they would put him on a free Spike TV card where they might get a few million viewers and some exposure before they put him on a Bellator PPV. I don't recall a prospect ever going straight onto a main card PPV

remember, some people have to actually consider spending money on this, and casuals who realize there is a Bellator PPV on Sat night look at the card won't know who he is will just see that fight and think of it as a filler

Spedizzo
June 22nd, 2017, 12:34 PM
I personally could care less who is on the card

The card looks good, I don't know if I would buy it on PPV though (cross that, I definitely wont)

I am trying to find a bar around me that will play it

Mik
June 22nd, 2017, 12:34 PM
Why don't you do it for him?

I'm not the one being dragged into yet another pointless back and forth with you.

Mark Hammer
June 22nd, 2017, 2:35 PM
Ah yeah I remember when GSP made his MMA debut at MSG on the main card while Chuck Liddell defended the LHW title on the prelims.

In all seriousness, I get it. Never said I didn't get WHY they were doing it. (and yes I know YOU didn't imply that I didn't know why they were putting him on the main card). And I think we'd be talking about this kid regardless but the fact that it's somewhat of a negative conversation "Why is this guy on the main card?" doesn't exactly mean it's a good thing...I think too many people are convinced "any publicity is good publicity" is a real thing. I'm sure you're not one of those people, we can just pretty much count on you saying the opposite of what I'm saying so no need to respond, just make a negative of my post and that's the majority of your replies.

I got a chuckle out of this.

Fanny Batter
June 24th, 2017, 9:58 PM
Davis vs. Bader might be the worst 2 fight series of all time. 40 minutes of shite. Bader with for me the worst title winning effort of all time.

Mark Hammer
June 24th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Yeah that was awful. Should have been a draw honestly, or at least defending champ should get the handicap benefit when a fight turns out as even and uneventful as this one.

Fortunately Bellator belts aren't actually world titles, as much as the promotion would like you to believe.

Fanny Batter
June 24th, 2017, 10:56 PM
Mike Goldberg is fantastic. I think the welterweight division in Bellator is great, Rory with a fixed schnozz might be the best in the world.

Percussion
June 24th, 2017, 11:05 PM
:lol:

Fanny Batter
June 24th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Aaron Pico did not live up to the hype.

Tainted Eclipse
June 24th, 2017, 11:07 PM
hahaha what a shit show.

Fanny Batter
June 24th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Quite funny how James Gallagher is actually younger than Pico, has had actual fights to show he might have prodigal talent, but hasn't had the comparitive hype. Pico will need a long rehab process, but he is young and could do it. Can't see him fighting anybody else with an 80%+ win rate in the next three years. From tonight though, I got Bubba Jenkins vibes more than a young BJ Penn.

Mark Hammer
June 24th, 2017, 11:21 PM
I hate to say it but ND just teabagged the Aaron Pico hipsters itt.

Fanny Batter
June 24th, 2017, 11:29 PM
Oh shit hahahaha poor Bellator.

Tainted Eclipse
June 24th, 2017, 11:32 PM
this card has gone from bad bad to funny bad.

Percussion
June 24th, 2017, 11:35 PM
I hate to say it but ND just teabagged the Aaron Pico hipsters itt.

I don't understand being inflammatory here.

I'd think any mma fan would find the Pico story fascinating to watch for the sake of interest in the sport.

And Nash himself said, itt, that he thought Pico would kick ass.

Fanny Batter
June 24th, 2017, 11:35 PM
That stool move was the greatest night in the history of our sport.

Fedor and Wand to get knocked out now to go from bad bad to funny bad straight to sad bad.

Giovanni Cresva
June 24th, 2017, 11:45 PM
the last emperor vs mitrione who reminds me of my older brother for some reason lol.

Also cant wait for the axe murderer vs chael "p" sonnen and the "p" stands for icon

Mark Hammer
June 24th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Wasn't being inflammatory at all, just pointing out that his "why is this guy on ppv" response was fair enough.

Fanny Batter
June 24th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Double knockdown now fucking hell! Sad that Fedor goes out on his back like so many legends. Mitrione's a good man to be fair.

Giovanni Cresva
June 25th, 2017, 12:00 AM
what is this shit?? i wanna see chael vs silva??

Percussion
June 25th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Wasn't being inflammatory at all, just pointing out that his "why is this guy on ppv" response was fair enough.

There was always a fair argument to both sides of the kid being on the main card. So the result, in a sport as anything-can-happen as mma, has you (benignly) talking about teabagging people? Ok, mark.

Fanny Batter
June 25th, 2017, 12:06 AM
Yeah, the result was going to create a buzz either way. Retrospectively smart to have it on PPV considering Davis vs. Bader was terrible. It was entertaining. Predicting Sonnen by KO after landing the spinning back fist that led to his downfall 5 years ago.

Fanny Batter
June 25th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Am I on drugs? Dave Navarro national anthem?!

Fanny Batter
June 25th, 2017, 12:51 AM
Chael just killed Bellator as a PPV entity. What a dull fight.

Mik
June 25th, 2017, 7:11 AM
Almost knocked out twice with a guy with one knockout win. Pico's chin didn't hold up all that well this time around. Nor did his claims that he could be a worth champion level boxer.

Fanny Batter
June 25th, 2017, 7:30 AM
There's no offence without defence. You can throw pretty heavy bag combinations all day but if you can't cope with what comes back you're not going to be successful.

Percussion
June 25th, 2017, 11:15 AM
To be fair, his boxing credentials weren't simply pretty heavy bag YouTube videos. This was just a completely shit display of respect for his opponent.

Maybe he comes in with some concern for the other guy next time and he still gets tuned up, idk, but walking forward chin up like that against a game pro is always gong to lead to problems for just about anyone.

And I agree with Brendan Schaub, at 5'7 with a 70" reach, the kid should consider 145.

Mik
June 25th, 2017, 11:53 AM
It's sad to see that fedor couldn't be more finished. Absolutely flat footed, looked nothing like the Fedor of old. I really think that he is the BJ Penn of the heavyweight division. Always undersized and a remarkable record, dominant in a time when he was a two dimensional fighter in a world of one dimensional fighters who then stayed two dimensional when the sport became three dimensional. Rested on his laurels, didn't continue developing, relied on abilities that weren't what made him successful initially and probably should've retired instead of watching the sport pass them by.

Spedizzo
June 25th, 2017, 12:46 PM
-Well I never heard of Pico outside of this forum and probably won't again
-Fedor fight was embarrassing
-Chael fight made me feel bad for anyone who paid to watch 2 guys who are irrelevant in today's MMA in a humpfest. Chael winning like that did nothing other than piss people off considering their win didn't really even matter. I just wanted to see a good fight

Spedizzo
June 25th, 2017, 12:47 PM
It's sad to see that fedor couldn't be more finished. Absolutely flat footed, looked nothing like the Fedor of old. I really think that he is the BJ Penn of the heavyweight division. Always undersized and a remarkable record, dominant in a time when he was a two dimensional fighter in a world of one dimensional fighters who then stayed two dimensional when the sport became three dimensional. Rested on his laurels, didn't continue developing, relied on abilities that weren't what made him successful initially and probably should've retired instead of watching the sport pass them by.

Fedor used to get his ass kicked throughout his career but his chin could hold up, now it can't

Mik
June 25th, 2017, 1:01 PM
Like BJ Penn.

Spedizzo
June 26th, 2017, 8:26 AM
sadly yeah

although BJ didnt get tagged this often (maybe I didnt notice it as much, because he also dealt out punishment and was more dangerous)

I marked out in round 2 last night, but in round 3 we had gassed out BJ

Nash Diesel
June 26th, 2017, 9:51 AM
This was one of the craziest cards ever.

Heath Hardy with a great debut.

Pico with a not so great debut.

Bader winning gold against Phil Davis in a not so great fight ha.

Michael Chandler losing his title because he rolled his ankle.

McGregor Jr looked great as usual.

Wanderlai being dry humped by Sonnen in the main event of their 2nd ppv only in the most famous arena in the world.

And of course, the hilarious yet sad Fedor v. Meathead fight.....This is how far our man Fedor has fallen people. Arguably the GOAT in many circles, and his last fight ever might be this future comedic knockout countdown shit.

Seriously....what the fuck was this show? And I say that using the word FUCK with a chuckle behind it. Pride couldn't have booked this better. Or Rizin haha.