PDA

View Full Version : Retro Gaming

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bagel
February 23rd, 2017, 8:56 PM
Thought this could be a good topic for this board. Since December I've been doing most of my gaming on the Sega Genesis. The original works the way it should, but ran into a dead battery issue with several games.

Been playing through the EA NHL series which has taken more of my time than the more current versions of the game.
Set up a room with a PS2, NES and the Genesis so far.

Anybody ever own a Dreamcast? Is it shit?

First it was the NES until I discovered the Genesis in seasonal cleaning and clearing.
Got a couple online companies I buy from, one who did a quick turnaround on the game battery repairs.

Any recommendations for Genesis games? I've been heavily into most EA sports games with that but outside of NBA Jam or Mortal Kombat I don't really have anything else.

Jarrod1983
February 23rd, 2017, 9:17 PM
I broke out my Super Nintendo recently. I burned one and ran through Super Star Wars, Final Fight and Batman Returns.

I enjoyed Jurassic Park on Sega. There was the option to be a dinosaur in the Sega version which was fun. I remember playing the hell out of Ninja Turtles and Aladdin on Sega when I was kid.

My room in my house has PS 2, 3 and 4. I got a N64 and a Wii. Rounded out by my NES, Super NES and a Sega. I got Atari box sets for Christmas with all the games already built in but haven't weaseled it in my set up yet.

Dreyski
February 23rd, 2017, 10:12 PM
The Dreamcast wasn't shit, but it was let down by lack of decent software (I think my brother only had three games for his) and 3rd party support.
As for Genesis Megadrive games, you can't go far wrong with the Streets of Rage series. If you have two players, a good one would be Star Control (if you can find it).

Most of my retro gaming now is done via emulators/ROMs for the Spectrum, Amiga, SNES & N64.

The Law
February 23rd, 2017, 10:25 PM
I loved the Dreamcast, that thing was way ahead of its time. Online play was so fucking cool for 2000.

Trying to remember my favorite Dreamcast games. The 2K sports games were really good for the time. Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Fighter.

I still play some Nintendo 64. No Mercy, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart. I've been thinking about getting a few more games, wouldn't mind playing Star Fox and Mario Golf again. I have my PS2 but don't play it a ton. I have some games for it but they're mostly sports games that are obsolete.

wardy
February 23rd, 2017, 10:33 PM
I still play the Micro Machines games on the Mega Drive. I don't think there's a funnier gaming experience than 4 players attempting to get on that fucking sponge boat at the same time and trying to bash each other into the water in the process.

Rancid_Planet
February 23rd, 2017, 10:44 PM
I have got to get a replacement N64 and SNES. Both mine bit the dust a while ago.

You know what system seems to always stay plugged in to one tv or another in my house? My fucking Gamecube.

Pablo Diablo
February 23rd, 2017, 11:01 PM
Can't wait for Rosk to come in and talk about that one game of his that he tried to get us all to play.

Bagel
February 23rd, 2017, 11:29 PM
I still play the Micro Machines games on the Mega Drive. I don't think there's a funnier gaming experience than 4 players attempting to get on that fucking sponge boat at the same time and trying to bash each other into the water in the process.

That sounds fucking hilarious. I've just been enjoying the older game systems a lot more than the new stuff lately. Don't any longer have a PS1, but the 2 plays those games. I remember years ago making a 2 hour tape of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and Die Hard Trilogy gameplay which was mostly blowouts and the Minneapolis level getting crushed by taxis, and DHT going around shooting people in the face.

Eddie Brock
February 24th, 2017, 12:28 AM
I was able to score a cartridge of Banjo-Kazooie, and I'm having fun playing it. Can't wait to get to Banjo Tooie.

Jarrod1983
February 24th, 2017, 4:25 AM
I'd love to play the Die Hard trilogy. Favorite movie of all time. I still have a copy of Die Hard for NES. That one is worth a penny or 2. Game is tough though. I'll get the game genie out if I don't want a challenge and am just looking to kill some Terrorists!

I still argue with a pal of mine about who would win in a fight. John McClane from Die Hard or Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon. I'm locked with McClane but for some reason he thinks Riggs would win.

Simon
February 24th, 2017, 5:01 AM
I'm waiting for an upgraded SNES to come out, which seems likely given the success of the classic NES. I've heard playing the original SNES on a modern TV is a waste of time but hopefully the updated version will sort the blurriness out.

The Rosk
February 24th, 2017, 5:03 AM
Can't wait for Rosk to come in and talk about that one game of his that he tried to get us all to play.

Fuck off mate.

I built a games cupboard in which I had my NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube/PS2/Saturn/Dreamcast/XBox all linked in to one TV. Then I had a kid. Now the kid lives in the room with the cupboard. Now I never play in it.

Life.

Peter Griffin
March 4th, 2017, 5:36 PM
I would love to have a Mega Drive again, games that come to mind as my faves:
Micro Machines series (was always spider :lol:)
Fifa series
Ristar
Aladdin
Lion King
Castle of illusion
Mickeys wild adventure
Sonic series (spinball got on my tits mind)
Golden axe

a good few more that I forget atm.

RuneEdge
March 4th, 2017, 9:39 PM
I'm waiting for an upgraded SNES to come out, which seems likely given the success of the classic NES. I've heard playing the original SNES on a modern TV is a waste of time but hopefully the updated version will sort the blurriness out.

There are ways to fix that, depending on how much you're willing to spend. Basically old analog signals from retro consoles look like shit on today's TVs, so you have to buy some kind of video amp/scaler/convertor/line doubler to sort that out. You can get a cheap solution for under £30 or pay £200+ for something that works with the least amount of problems.

The most well known scaler in the retro gaming community is this one:
https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

Rancid_Planet
March 4th, 2017, 10:39 PM
I was able to score a cartridge of Banjo-Kazooie, and I'm having fun playing it. Can't wait to get to Banjo Tooie.

I fucking love the Banjo-Kazooie games.

God the first game is good. The second felt like almost too much. Plus the StopNSwap crap that they let everyone down on.

Murphy
March 5th, 2017, 3:12 AM
I play the SNES pretty much every day with my lad. Mario All Stars is such a favourite that I spent £20 getting Super Mario World from EBay. We also play Bubsy, which is great fun.

Want to get Donkey Kong Country, but that will cost about the same on EBay. As for the picture etc, it's not too bad at all.

Got the PSII out the other day, but he isn't keen yet. Despite the plethora of wrestling games I have on there. Oh yeah, Raw and Royal Rumble are firm favourites on the SNES also. :yes:

Rancid_Planet
March 5th, 2017, 3:24 AM
I can still hear the sound that Luna makes when you punch her, ringing in my head.

JP
March 5th, 2017, 8:29 AM
Emulators make it so easy to play things you missed first time around, bloody amazing.

Murphy
March 6th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I can still hear the sound that Luna makes when you punch her, ringing in my head.

:lol:

The 10 punches on the turnbuckle is just wrong.

Dreyski
March 6th, 2017, 2:49 PM
I fucking love the Banjo-Kazooie games.

God the first game is good. The second felt like almost too much. Plus the StopNSwap crap that they let everyone down on.

I remember 100%ing the first game before that was even a thing. I then played the second game on an emulator and I couldn't get far into it at all. It was a common theme for the later Rare games to overegg everything (see also DK64 and Mr Nuts).

RuneEdge
June 26th, 2017, 4:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YYhbNFu.jpg http://i.imgur.com/3g2ebo6.jpg

Yes. It's happening. :panic:

And if the thought of that alone wasn't exciting enough, check out the game list.

http://i.imgur.com/r3TdyQo.jpg

:hyper:

Throwing Star Fox 2 in was a great move. :yes:

I'm currently trying to figure out where to buy one of these. Cuz there's no way I'm missing out.

Nash Diesel
June 26th, 2017, 4:11 PM
Secret of Mana....I need that game.

I currently own a Dual Retro which lets you play NES and Super NES cartridges, it's awesome for $45, well worth it. I also have a WiiU which has 90% of these games. Still, I'd buy it just for Mana I think haha.

Beer-Belly
June 26th, 2017, 4:12 PM
I can't wait to never be able to find one. Nintendo says they're producing significantly more units than the NES Classic, but I'll believe that shit when I see it.

They could have easily priced it at $120 considering it includes the unreleased Star Fox 2.

Judas Iscariot
June 26th, 2017, 4:22 PM
I still have a working SNES and a ton of games but I might try to just get this anyway.

MikeHunt
June 26th, 2017, 4:30 PM
I can't wait to never be able to buy one!

MikeHunt
June 26th, 2017, 4:31 PM
Just buy a raspberry pi and run an emulator on it.

Beer-Belly
June 26th, 2017, 4:31 PM
Just buy a raspberry pi and run an emulator on it.

How hard is that, though?

MikeHunt
June 26th, 2017, 4:35 PM
Plenty of step by step guides online.

Reech
June 26th, 2017, 5:05 PM
If anyone happens to know some good places for SNES roms, you know, my inbox is always welcome for that information.

Reech
June 26th, 2017, 5:17 PM
I was super hyped when it was announced.

I mean, super. But it's £80. £80. Hype bubble burst.

Had a Pi 3 lying around that I'd picked up a few months ago. Think I'll make use of that tbh.

Nash Diesel
June 26th, 2017, 5:27 PM
I was super hyped when it was announced.

I mean, super. But it's £80. £80. Hype bubble burst.

Had a Pi 3 lying around that I'd picked up a few months ago. Think I'll make use of that tbh.

If it makes you feel any better....if you bought these games in good condition, even without the box, you'd be paying about 20 times that total. This is a steal, $100+ US=worth it.

RuneEdge
June 26th, 2017, 5:32 PM
I want one for the sake of having it. The SNES is my all time favourite console.
I already have two original SNES consoles at home (PAL and NTSC). I have SNES games on my phone, my tablet, my 3DS, PSP, PC, laptop, but fuck it. I still need one of these. :hyper:

Didn't care too much about the NES Mini, but this I have to have.

Nash Diesel
June 26th, 2017, 5:35 PM
If I didn't already have the Dual Retro and the WiiU, I'd get it for sure. The only thing I don't like about the mini's in comparison to like the Sege Genesis console pack they sell is that you can't play the cartridges. The Genesis with the 40-50 games can play Genesis games, my Dual can play both NES and Super NES, that's a big deal to me when consoles, GOOD consoles, are hard to find at a reasonable price. $100 for this deal though, it's worth it.

RuneEdge
June 26th, 2017, 5:42 PM
If it's functionality that you want, this and the NES Mini were never going to be good value for money. Having said that, if this is anything like the NES Mini, it'll be running Linux and will be hacked to run games from most retro consoles anyway, which I plan on doing to add the rest of the SNES library.

Eddie Brock
June 27th, 2017, 12:19 AM
This looks great, but I hope the amount of units they produce can keep up with consumer demand or that production doesn't end prematurely. For some Star Fox 2 will be worth buying the system alone. I predict that this will be a better seller than the NES Classic. I imagine with how the NES Mini went and the inclusion of Star Fox 2, Nintendo will make a lot more of these to be sold.

Rancid_Planet
June 27th, 2017, 12:26 AM
I think Kotaku is already reporting this will only be sold through Christmas.

Atty
June 27th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Disappointed in the lack of Chrono Trigger.

Beer-Belly
June 27th, 2017, 1:11 AM
I think Kotaku is already reporting this will only be sold through Christmas.

Does Nintendo not like money? Jesus Christ.

The Rosk
June 27th, 2017, 3:20 AM
I wanted both this and the NES mini, but both are sold out. Fucking bollocks to it.

Nash Diesel
June 27th, 2017, 1:49 PM
Disappointed in the lack of Chrono Trigger.

Great soundtrack, never played the game though. I love listening to video game soundtracks on youtube.

Fro
June 27th, 2017, 2:20 PM
I wanted both this and the NES mini, but both are sold out. Fucking bollocks to it.

The SNES Classic doesn't come out until September.

Mark Hammer
June 27th, 2017, 2:26 PM
Legendary list of games there but I'd rather spend that kind of money on something from the current gen. I can play all of those minus Star Fox 2 already. More 'unreleased' sequels like that would guarantee sales at that price tag though.

Nash Diesel
June 27th, 2017, 3:04 PM
The SNES Classic doesn't come out until September.

Maybe he meant pre-order?

Legendary list of games there but I'd rather spend that kind of money on something from the current gen. I can play all of those minus Star Fox 2 already. More 'unreleased' sequels like that would guarantee sales at that price tag though.

Totally agree. I imagine this would be more for people who aren't savvy with the whole "emulator" stuff or don't have WiiU, old consoles, etc. Convenient and worth the cost when you consider how much it would cost to buy these games today, used, including the console. Some of these games, out of the box and used, are like $70-80/each. Crazy.

Reech
June 27th, 2017, 3:27 PM
All of the UK retailers sold out of pre-orders within minutes.

Nash Diesel
June 27th, 2017, 4:07 PM
All of the UK retailers sold out of pre-orders within minutes.

That's what I figured because I have a couple friends online who have already talked about how pre-orders are going to be non-existent by the end of the day haha.

Stocky
June 27th, 2017, 4:37 PM
Kinda wish it had mario brothers all stars on it and super cricket but its a good list of games there.

Nash Diesel
June 27th, 2017, 4:57 PM
Kinda wish it had mario brothers all stars on it and super cricket but its a good list of games there.

I think the only reason it doesn't is because the NES mini has them...well I don't know about Lost Levels but it does have the other 3. I have this for the Wii and I remember renting it for the Super NES when I was like 12. It's super fun but it's weird playing it, and then playing the original versions because the graphics on All-Stars game were updated along with the music.

RuneEdge
June 27th, 2017, 4:58 PM
I'm guessing All Stars wasn't added in since its on the NES Mini (minus Lost Levels). Looking back, swapping one of the Kirby games for Chrono Trigger might be the only change I'd make if we had to stick within the game limit. I wouldn't say its the best 21 games you could get on the console, but they've included the ones that IMO made the most sense if you wanted to showcase the SNES.
If I had it my way, I'd also have the other two Final Fantasy's, Killer Instinct, the Mortal Kombat's, Bomberman's, a localised Secret of Mana 2 and a bunch of other JRPGs.

EDIT
Or what ND said. :yes:

Atty
June 27th, 2017, 5:43 PM
Great soundtrack, never played the game though. I love listening to video game soundtracks on youtube.

It's fantastic. One of my favorite games ever.

It was on the original Wii's Virtual Console but it disappeared when they went to the Wii U. I've been wanting to replay it (again) for a few years now and have kept waiting for it to show up on the Wii U. Because of this, it was the first thing I looked for on the SNES Mini.

The Rosk
June 27th, 2017, 5:59 PM

It will sell out, like the NES Mini did.

Hlebsfall
June 27th, 2017, 7:10 PM
If anyone happens to know some good places for SNES roms, you know, my inbox is always welcome for that information.

There you go, there's a SNES emulator and pretty much every game for it.

https://pirateproxy.cc/mobileproxy/torrent/8028980/%5BSNES%5D+Super+Nintendo+Games+Collection+%5B765+ ROMS%5D+%2B+Snes9x+1.53#comments

And here's a Mega Drive one while I'm at it

https://pirateproxy.cc/mobileproxy/torrent/7337249/Sega+for+PC+%28Every+Genesis%2C+Mega+Drive%2C+N+32 x+Rom+and+Emu+EVER%29

Eddie Brock
June 27th, 2017, 10:37 PM
If I have some cash I'd buy the system myself. The thing is that Star Fox 2 can be unlocked by completing the first level of the first game. I still haven't bought the Megadrive one yet, though.

Ramsay
June 28th, 2017, 3:21 AM
If I have some cash I'd buy the system myself. The thing is that Star Fox 2 can be unlocked by completing the first level of the first game. I still haven't bought the Megadrive one yet, though.

The Mega Drive one isn't an official release by sega - its essentially a licensed emulator with a terrible sound capacity in it going by my experience with AtGames units. A large number of the games in there were never even released for the mega drive also. If i remember correctly it says there are 80+ games on the unit and only about 40 are actual mega drive games

Save your money on this one...

The Rosk
June 28th, 2017, 3:30 AM
Reech - how do I make one of these, but for the NES as well, and make it so I can play everything on my massive TV? You are a geek so I assume you know this. Please treat me like a moron.

MikeHunt
June 28th, 2017, 3:36 AM
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/491954136/retro-game-console-32gb-with-over-6400?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_a-electronics_and_accessories-video_games&utm_custom1=db31a34c-7681-4e3b-ba4e-9a321b602d2b&gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOqStpqRy 9-Gv_JU8j5Kw-wuuBn2SxuMq8FE5Yj0Ydm4aAmeX8P8HAQ

just buy that.

or this

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/519148610/retro-game-console-128gb-over-6400-games?ref=related-2

Reech
June 28th, 2017, 3:39 AM
Reech - how do I make one of these, but for the NES as well, and make it so I can play everything on my massive TV? You are a geek so I assume you know this. Please treat me like a moron.

Depends on your tech knowledge and experience with a Raspberry Pi.

The Rosk
June 28th, 2017, 4:32 AM
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/491954136/retro-game-console-32gb-with-over-6400?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_a-electronics_and_accessories-video_games&utm_custom1=db31a34c-7681-4e3b-ba4e-9a321b602d2b&gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOqStpqRy 9-Gv_JU8j5Kw-wuuBn2SxuMq8FE5Yj0Ydm4aAmeX8P8HAQ

just buy that.

or this

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/519148610/retro-game-console-128gb-over-6400-games?ref=related-2

That looks fucking awesome.

Can someone please tell me what the negatives of this are? £110 for 6400 games and it's ready to go?

Reech
June 28th, 2017, 4:41 AM
Literally none from what I can see. It's just £110.

The setup he listed on the second one has everything you'll need. It lists wi-fi (but that's part of the Pi) but you'll never need it. He's even fitting a heatsink which will mean it'll last longer. It's "good to go" in the box. It'll likely never need the OS updating.

Just make sure his Etsy reviews make him legit enough that he's not stiffing you on the ROM listings.

Beefy
June 28th, 2017, 4:47 AM
From what I gather you can do it cheaper if you want to put it all together and do all the installation yourself. I wouldn't know where to start. I'd happily pay £110 for that.

Reech
June 28th, 2017, 4:50 AM
From what I gather you can do it cheaper if you want to put it all together and do all the installation yourself. I wouldn't know where to start. I'd happily pay £110 for that.

The Pi and gubbins is like £40 or maybe a bit more for a nice case, although you'd need to find a place to buy "classic" pads. I'm just going to use a 360 pad on mine. Once you've spent time putting the ROMs together for the thousand games (which is just time consuming), setting up a new Pi is like 10 minutes tops.

Beefy
June 28th, 2017, 4:52 AM
Can you connect multiple other pads to it for local multiplayer?

Reech
June 28th, 2017, 4:56 AM
It has 4 USB ports so "yes?".

Unconfirmed by my own eye/hand though.

Beefy
June 28th, 2017, 4:58 AM
Please go out and buy one to check for me. Thanks.

Reech
June 28th, 2017, 5:02 AM
Ask Rosk, he's buying one.

The Rosk
June 28th, 2017, 5:02 AM
Just make sure his Etsy reviews make him legit enough that he's not stiffing you on the ROM listings.

What the fuck does this mean. I know what a ROM is I think but what are you talking about. I am beyond shit.

Reech
June 28th, 2017, 5:20 AM
OH HOW THE SHOE IS ON THE OTHER FOOT. Maybe if you did some research, you'd be able to Reech your potential. Eh eh? ;)

A rom is just a file. Each game is a rom. You use an emulator per console. So, you need a SNES emulator and roms of each game. The emulator then "loads" a rom as though you put the disc in the console.

The "stiffing you on the rom listings" is me doubting he has that many or that they all work but I'd assume his reviews call any of those out.

The Rosk
June 28th, 2017, 5:45 AM
OH HOW THE SHOE IS ON THE OTHER FOOT. Maybe if you did some research, you'd be able to Reech your potential. Eh eh? ;)

A rom is just a file. Each game is a rom. You use an emulator per console. So, you need a SNES emulator and roms of each game. The emulator then "loads" a rom as though you put the disc in the console.

The "stiffing you on the rom listings" is me doubting he has that many or that they all work but I'd assume his reviews call any of those out.

Yes, but look what happened - I chucked a cross on the T-Zone and you scored. I smashed a cross on your instep a yard out. I cut a curving through ball into your path through three players and you scored.

Now you are helping me. Look at what we do for each other.

Hlebsfall
June 28th, 2017, 6:50 AM
You can do it yourself if you wanted to save some money. It's not that difficult

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192/amp

A raspberry pi 3 is about 30 quid.

Hlebsfall
June 28th, 2017, 6:52 AM
Oh and talking of ROMs, here's a link to a single download which I think has every game released on every console up until about the GameCube. Download size is about 30gb

https://archive.org/details/No-Intro-Collection_2016-09-06

Beefy
June 28th, 2017, 8:04 AM
I might just install something on my PC to run those ROMs for now. Spent a little time this morning looking into whether I'd trust myself to put together a Raspberry Pi setup myself and it looks feasible

Simon
June 28th, 2017, 8:05 AM
How will the graphics look like on the bigger modern TVs? I'm guessing the official SNES will have upscaled (if that is the right word) but will the snide ones off Etsy?

Hlebsfall
June 28th, 2017, 8:24 AM
The emulation software in the NES Mini was pretty much identical to what was already out there. I can't see that what's in the SNES mini would be any better than current SNES emulation software like snes9X

RFF Champ
June 28th, 2017, 9:11 AM
You can do it yourself if you wanted to save some money. It's not that difficult

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192/amp

A raspberry pi 3 is about 30 quid.

Package it all together and sell them on here for £80.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 6:57 AM
Sod it, I just bought this. Think I've got everything else that I'll need (other than maybe a micro SD card, I'll have a rummage at home) so hopefully can get the whole lot for £35.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Raspberry-Model-Quad-Core/dp/B01MQ22LA9/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498732676&sr=1-5&keywords=raspberry+pi+3

I'll let you guys know how easy it is to set up. If I can do it anyone can.

The Rosk
June 29th, 2017, 7:15 AM
Well, I was going to buy that Etsy thing but I may well hold off until I see how Beefy gets on now.

Simon
June 29th, 2017, 7:26 AM
Yer samesies. Beefy the canary in the mine. Hlebsfall are you saying that the emulator makes the graphics fine on a big TV? I played N64 on a modern TV a while ago and it was blocky to the point that it wasn't really worth bothering with.

RuneEdge
June 29th, 2017, 7:47 AM
Well, I was going to buy that Etsy thing but I may well hold off until I see how Beefy gets on now.

Buy what Beefy bought, and you can actually use your PS4 controller on it via the USB port and save a little cash from that as well. Its literally the same as that £110 thing posted earlier. The difference is the packaging and the software being pre-installed for you.
The set up can be a bit of a pain if done from scratch, but you can find downloads online where everything's done for you and its literally a case of "just copy these files onto your SD card, copy your roms into this folder, pop your SD card into the thing, and you're good to go".

RuneEdge
June 29th, 2017, 7:49 AM
Yer samesies. Beefy the canary in the mine. Hlebsfall are you saying that the emulator makes the graphics fine on a big TV? I played N64 on a modern TV a while ago and it was blocky to the point that it wasn't really worth bothering with.
If you're talking about playing the actual N64 on your big TV then the emulator will always look better since its working with a digital signal as opposed to the old analog signal that everything back then used.

Simon
June 29th, 2017, 7:55 AM
I don't know why I ask these questions because I never understand the answers. Basically my understanding was that the blockiness is because the games were designed for the smaller TVs of 20 years ago, and so look shit on much bigger modern TVs, which is why the original consoles look shit but the new ones have been remastered or something to make them look fine?

Reech
June 29th, 2017, 8:20 AM
Yes.

Also, I'm setting up my Pi for emulation and already have setup a Pi as a media server, so if anyone has any issues, get in touch.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 8:38 AM
Buy what Beefy bought, and you can actually use your PS4 controller on it via the USB port and save a little cash from that as well.

You don't even have to use it by USB - the Raspberry Pi 3 has Bluetooth connectivity. PS3 and PS4 pads supposedly work perfectly with it.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 8:41 AM
I don't know why I ask these questions because I never understand the answers. Basically my understanding was that the blockiness is because the games were designed for the smaller TVs of 20 years ago, and so look shit on much bigger modern TVs, which is why the original consoles look shit but the new ones have been remastered or something to make them look fine?

As RuneEdge said, it should look better than using old hardware on a modern PC but to a degree you're going to have the issue that you're describing. GTA3 looks way better running on my PS2 on a 14" portable TV than the remaster does running on my PS4 in my front room.

RuneEdge
June 29th, 2017, 9:58 AM
The thing with old consoles is, the resolution back then were much lower than today. Today we have HD resolutions, which is 720p and beyond. 1080p is the current standard that most TVs use today, and we're slowly moving to 4K (which is a fancy name for 2160p). Consoles back in the day were running at 240p and sometimes 480p. So yeah, you're basically stretching 240 rows of pixels that your retro console is producing, and sending that across the 1080 that your HD 1080p TV has, which creates the blocky look. Consoles today give out 1080 rows of pixels, which fit perfectly onto the 1080 pixels on your TV, so there's no stretching involved. To put it simply.

Regarding the screen size, the smaller the TV is, naturally there's less stretching involved. So even if you're stretching the PSX's 240p onto a 1080p, if the TV itself is literally smaller like 14", it won't look so blocky to the human eye.

The Rosk
June 29th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Fucking hell RuneEdge.

The Rosk
June 29th, 2017, 10:20 AM
So Beefy where are we on the Raspberry Pi 3 building? Come on dickhead.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Well right now our friends at Amazon are dispatching it to Belfast where it will go to a company called Parcel Motel. They will receive it by tomorrow and then bring it down to a locker at a petrol station in Dublin where I can pick it up.

So hopefully it will get here on Saturday.

I'm going to buy an SD card tonight and do the downloading of the software and all of those ROMs that Klebs linked to yesterday.

So we're close.

The Rosk
June 29th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Too late Beefy. I've bought the same thing.

wardy
June 29th, 2017, 11:06 AM
That looks fucking awesome.

Can someone please tell me what the negatives of this are? £110 for 6400 games and it's ready to go?
The controllers for these things are almost always shit. Like when your mum buys you a GAMEST4R TURBO joypad instead of an official one.

I play the Mega Drive, SNES and N64 on our big LCD all the time and have no issues. The graphics are poor but they don't impact on whether the game is playable at all. Maybe it's because I'm used to it but it's probably because I'm not a wanker.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Too late Beefy. I've bought the same thing.

Ok so you can be the guinea pig then!

Reech
June 29th, 2017, 11:19 AM
My top tip was to buy a Pi, a case, a power supply and the SD card from somewhere like RS-Online.

Looks like you all missed out on it.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 11:26 AM
How is that a top tip? The power supply is one of the 18 different mobile phone chargers anyone has got lying around, SD cards can be bought anywhere and the case was included in the Amazon listing I put up.

Jesus Reech.

Reech
June 29th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Your power supply is key. It's not just "another one" like you have on your mobile. If you get the wrong one, you'll either fry your motherboard or not have enough power to run it and the USB devices you're trying to use.

TOP. TIP.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 11:41 AM
No it isn't. It's a bog standard 5v USB charger like almost every modern non-Apple phone uses.

FUCKING HELL REECH

EDIT - ok it needs to be 2.5A as well but I'm pretty sure I've got that covered.

Reech
June 29th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Beef mate, I didn't see your apology. I'm assuming you're still writing it up.

MTR
June 29th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Debating buying what I need to do this as well.

Donald
June 29th, 2017, 1:12 PM
May get this, I spent hours playing Mario and Donkey Kong country as a weeee lad.

Beefy
June 29th, 2017, 7:18 PM
So Reech may have been more right than I initially gave him credit for. All my Android chargers are 1.5A and so aren't powerful enough. Bloody Reech.

That said, my iPad charger is powerful enough so screw you Reech, I win.

Eddie Brock
June 29th, 2017, 9:04 PM
I haven't played any of the RPG's from Square, Kirby's Dream Course, this Street Fighter release, or Super Punchout. And I've only briefly messed around with the Star Fox 2 prototype in emulation so I can't judge that one. Challenging games, but challenging in a good way, except for Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts.

Reech
June 29th, 2017, 9:41 PM
So Reech may have been more right than I initially gave him credit for. All my Android chargers are 1.5A and so aren't powerful enough. Bloody Reech.

That said, my iPad charger is powerful enough so screw you Reech, I win.

Is this the apology? Or is it still forth coming? ;)

Man, wish I could've been there to see the dawning realisation that I was right on your face.

Got my ROMs and put my RetroPie on my SD. Need to plug it all in now and see how it is. Think I'll use an old 360 pad for a controller.

The Rosk
June 30th, 2017, 5:20 AM
What is a 2.5A charger?

Why can't I just buy this? https://thepihut.com/products/official-raspberry-pi-universal-power-supply?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=3748998148&gclid=CIiU1qyd5dQCFU-T7Qodvy8LKw

£7?

Beefy
June 30th, 2017, 5:25 AM
You can, that's perfect.

Beefy
June 30th, 2017, 5:34 AM
Is this the apology? Are is it still forth coming? ;)

Man, wish I could've been there to see the dawning realisation that I was right on your face.

Got my ROMs and put my RetroPie on my SD. Need to plug it all in now and see how it is. Think I'll use an old 360 pad for a controller.

You weren't right - you said I should have spent £12 more than I did in order to get a power supply. I said I didn't need to because I'd have one.

I did think I had loads that would be good enough though, which wasn't the case.

Are you just putting RetroPie on the SD? Do you need to put the OS on it too? I don't think you do not to but I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

The Rosk
June 30th, 2017, 5:42 AM
Reech lost out on £100 and a clear £50 profit by playing Clubs instead of making me one and taking advantage of my idiocy.

Reech
June 30th, 2017, 5:43 AM
You weren't right - you said I should have spent £12 more than I did in order to get a power supply. I said I didn't need to because I'd have one.

I did think I had loads that would be good enough though, which wasn't the case.

Are you just putting RetroPie on the SD? Do you need to put the OS on it too? I don't think you do not to but I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

I just flashed the SD with RetroPie using the DiscImager software.

Reech
June 30th, 2017, 5:44 AM
Reech lost out on £100 and a clear £50 profit by playing Clubs instead of making me one and taking advantage of my idiocy.

I'm okay with that, you feel like the type to hold a grudge if you ever found out.

The Rosk
June 30th, 2017, 5:50 AM
I'm okay with that, you feel like the type to hold a grudge if you ever found out.

I would have applauded you and thanked you for your efforts. I don't think you understand how much I would pay NOT to do something mundane.

Reech
June 30th, 2017, 5:52 AM
You'll be back. You'll be like Alex suckling at my knowledge for scraps but now I know I can charge you whilst I just joke with him that I'm going to invoice him.

The Rosk
June 30th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Could I play Amiga games on this with a mouse, as well as NES/SNES games??>>?!??!???>?>?>?>?>??????!?!?

Beefy
June 30th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Supposedly yes. But Amiga emulation is tricky because of the Amiga Operating System, Workbench, so I don't think it'll be as plug-and-play as all the other emulators.

I'm definitely going to be trying to get that working so I'll let you know.

RuneEdge
June 30th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Anything up to the PSX and N64 era. It starts to struggle with Dreamcast games.

Beefy
June 30th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Wow. It got there at midnight tonight! Need an SD card still.

The Rosk
July 2nd, 2017, 2:08 PM
What was the best walk through place to do it all?

Reech
July 2nd, 2017, 2:48 PM
Gizmodo or lifehacker. Think RuneEdge linked to them.

Reech
July 24th, 2017, 8:38 AM
Finished setting up my Pi.

Has 3 console's worth of games and uses my Playstation 4 pad on bluetooth so no cables. Bonza.

Hlebsfall
July 24th, 2017, 8:49 AM
Yeah, I done mine the other day as well. Just SNES and MAME so far. I'd recommend enabling scanlines, or installing something like video manager because the games can look pretty blocky otherwise. https://youtu.be/hH1_GMAvCdc bonus with doing video manager is that it will put a mock TV overlay over the screen as well, so you don't have to deal with the ugly black borders as the games are in 4:3.

RuneEdge
July 24th, 2017, 9:45 AM
Kinda losing hope on ever getting the SNES Mini. Preorders seems to run out in a matter of minutes. Fuck Nintendo and their supply issues. :(

RuneEdge
September 12th, 2017, 8:59 AM
Nintendo tweeted the SNES Mini will continue to ship into 2018, and that they're re-releasing the NES Mini. :yes:

Pablo Diablo
September 12th, 2017, 9:42 AM
They realized they liked money.

Eddie Brock
September 12th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Good on Nintendo for stepping up, though I feel they took too long to do this. I wonder what made them change their mind. I'm not even going to bother with the online retailer shenanigans, going to grab one casually.

Rancid_Planet
October 15th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Got one.

I'm checking out of life as of now.

It's 1994 again motherfuckers.

Rancid_Planet
October 15th, 2017, 10:13 PM
You can buy happiness.

It cost me 87 dollars including sales tax.

The Law
October 15th, 2017, 10:24 PM
I can't wait for the N64 version of this.

Rancid_Planet
October 15th, 2017, 10:26 PM
I can't wait for the N64 version of this.

Omg I will GoldenEye the fuck out of that thing.

Mark Hammer
October 16th, 2017, 12:16 AM
Nintendo is a very smart company. I saw that they're doing an N64 mini, that shit is sold.

Mark Hammer
October 16th, 2017, 12:21 AM
I may have counted my chickens there, the N64 is only being speculated. But surely it will be a thing. Way too much money to be made and Nintendo knows it. But if/when it happens make those controllers wireless.

Rancid_Planet
October 16th, 2017, 1:35 AM
Yeah I've read the GameBoy mini is probably going to be a thing as well.

There is just a ton of cash to be made here.

I have crawled back out of my cave to announce that I am to the Vanilla Dome in SMW, cleared 50cc in the fist three cups of Mario Kart, made it to the third circuit of Punch Out and now I'm kicking with some Donkey Kong Country because some evil fatass crocodile king done stole my banana hoard. It's cool tho. Got my boy Diddy backin me up and we gon get all them shits back and find all the secret areas.

Back to my lair.

RuneEdge
October 16th, 2017, 4:43 AM
I have doubts about how soon they could put out a N64 mini. It's recently come to light that the SNES mini in terms of its hardware is literally the NES mini inside a SNES shell and different software installed. Hackers are currently working towards being able to swap them around so that you can play the NES games on the SNES and vice versa. A N64 mini would most likely require new hardware so, I'd bet that would take Nintendo more time.

Nintendo recently registered some Gameboy related trademarks, which is where the Gameboy mini rumours came from. So that's more likely of the two right now. I'm curious to know if this will actually be a mini portable or a "consolized" Gameboy. I'd love it if they could make a tiny Gameboy you can carry around with you. Those familiar with the Gameboy Micro will know they were able to make a almost credit card sized GBA over a decade ago. Something tiny like that with preloaded games and maybe WiFI for link cable emulation would be amazing.

Having said that, as much as I like these kind of re-releases of old consoles, I'm hoping it doesn't take anything away from the Virtual Console that we're all hoping the Switch eventually gets. If given the choice, I'd rather have all these games on the Switch where I can play on the go or docked to the TV at the same time.

Eddie Brock
October 16th, 2017, 2:13 PM
What if they add online multiplayer? They promised such a feature for games on the Switch. So it would be a nice run, maybe limited to just a few of the games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

The Law
October 16th, 2017, 3:28 PM
They've got to do it. They'll be printing money with those things.

Eddie Brock
February 24th, 2018, 2:31 AM
I bought a copy of Metal Gear Solid for PS1 the other day and have been glued to it since, even more so than GTA or Mario (I'm playing it on my TV in the dark which again feels really addictive for a 20 year old game).

MGS's story is well written, it has great graphics for its time, a color palette comparable to a mercury streetlight (which gives off a blueish glow) and a comprehensive facility layout where everything meets together as it should.

wardy
February 24th, 2018, 7:47 AM
I still play my old consoles and they all look fine on a new telly. It's just a matter of whether you personally can put up with the dated graphics.

Hero!
February 24th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Old consoles look best on CRTs, which is great cause I had several old CRTs laying around and sold them off to a guy putting together a Smash Melee tournament.

if y’all haven’t, get a Raspberry Pi and build a RetroPi. I won a RasPi in a contest last year and put together a little system that plays NES/SNES/Genesis/Saturn games.

Psycho666Soldier
February 26th, 2018, 8:41 AM
I still play my old consoles and they all look fine on a new telly. It's just a matter of whether you personally can put up with the dated graphics.

Depends how old you go, really. Most N64, PS1 and PS2 games have an awful blur that makes every look more splotchy and watered down than normal. It can make a game with dated graphics look even worse. Conker's Bad Fur Day is a great example.

I've been getting into some old PS1 games lately. Recently started Digimon World 1 and 3, but DW1 is one of the only games from my childhood I still own the same copy, so it keeps freezing in an important spot. So in its place, I started playing Star Ocean: The 2nd Story. Both have consumed my life considerably.

RuneEdge
February 26th, 2018, 10:39 AM

Depends on how picky you want to get. Retro consoles hooked up directly to the TV will pretty much always have blurry washed out visuals, and also give you some input lag. Most people won't care, but if you're someone that does, you're better off getting a Raspberry Pi or some other form of emulation device.
The difference looks something like this:
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--YaZ9Re7Q--/c_fill,fl_progressive,g_center,h_358,q_80,w_636/qg3qymcavesnccgcd1gh.jpg

Retro consoles were made to be played on CRTs so viewing them on a modern flat panel will give you something like the image on the left. An emulator would give you a more "pixel perfect" image like the one of the right.

Or you can do what I and other retro snobs do and get an "upscaler" like this:
(spoilered for size)
https://i0.wp.com/www.videogameperfection.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ossc-final_1.jpg
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

You plug your retro console into that, and then a HDMI out into the TV. You get all the benefits of emulation like visuals and input lag, with the luxury of using the actual console. :yes:

Bagel
February 26th, 2018, 1:11 PM

Same here, between NES and Sega Genesis I've had no issues with graphics seeming any worse than I remember then, while using a modern, updated/upgraded TV from long ago.

Most of my gameplay of late has been the PS2. Working my way through The Warriors. Fun but annoying, having to go around tagging a bunch of shit but instead I just go looking for people to beat up and take money from, because I'll just need to go and buy more paint anyway.

Nash Diesel
February 26th, 2018, 5:02 PM
I have a Retro Duo and plus the WiiU store has a bunch of old games. On the Retro I've been alternating between Bad Dudes and Rampage on the NES and Maximum Carnage, Alien 3, and X-Men Mutant Apocalypse. I just bought Bulls v. Blazers about 2 months ago for $3.

On the WiiU I've been playing a lot of Castlevania II, Ninja Gaiden II, and I just downloaded Yoshi's Island for the N64 which is pretty wild.

Eddie Brock
February 26th, 2018, 6:06 PM
The best way I've found to play PS1 games is on the PS2 with component. It’s sharper than the PS3, and it doesn't force the smoothing filter. Outside of emulation they look the best there at native res.

Hero!
April 17th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Megadrive mini coming to Japan in 2018. Genisis Mini coming to US at some point, supposedly. Being produced by AT Games, who make the current shit Genesis emulator machines you can buy that are super garbage, so i wouldnt expect this to be great.

https://i0.wp.com/www.seganerds.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/sega-fes-MD-mini.png?resize=780%2C405

Good news, though, is that Sega Ages is coming to Switch. Games announced so far:

Phantasy Star (Master System)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Master System)
Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive / Genesis)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive / Genesis
Gain Ground (Arcade)

Basically old Sega games on VC for the switch. If the initial 15 games do well, Sega says they'll expand to Saturn and Dreamcast games. Clockwork Knight and Ready 2 Rumble PLEASE!

RuneEdge
April 19th, 2018, 7:47 AM
Dreamcast games? :hyper:
Gimme some Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure, etc.

Eddie Brock
April 25th, 2018, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I think this is the sweet spot.

Just build a full blown console. One that plays everything from Master System all the way to Dreamcast on one box. Get the fans involved, put a poll out on which shell they go with, and include a controller (which would cover everything) and about 500GB-1TB of storage on it to cover everything. But turn it into a bit of an event like Sega is back in hardware, go all the way. Make the shell replaceable. Sell it with a Dreamcast shell, but allow people to buy a Master System, Mega Drive or Saturn shell to replace it with. Go even further if you want and make it online and re-sell old games via their own store on it.

And I'm sure they won't, but if they go the extra mile and support netplay? That would be so amazing I've waiting for years for something like this. Can go further if they bring in SEGA CD games, but I know that’s harder to emulate.

Psycho666Soldier
April 25th, 2018, 8:23 AM
Yeah, I think this is the sweet spot.

Just build a full blown console. One that plays everything from Master System all the way to Dreamcast on one box. Get the fans involved, put a poll out on which shell they go with, and include a controller (which would cover everything) and about 500GB-1TB of storage on it to cover everything. But turn it into a bit of an event like Sega is back in hardware, go all the way. Make the shell replaceable. Sell it with a Dreamcast shell, but allow people to buy a Master System, Mega Drive or Saturn shell to replace it with. Go even further if you want and make it online and re-sell old games via their own store on it.

And I'm sure they won't, but if they go the extra mile and support netplay? That would be so amazing I've waiting for years for something like this. Can go further if they bring in SEGA CD games, but I know that’s harder to emulate.

You realize the bit about other sega consoles was in reference to the games coming to the Switch, right? The Mega Drive Mini is strictly Genesis.

Hero!
April 25th, 2018, 9:19 AM
Yes, the Mini Gensis/Mega Drive is similar to the NES and SNES minis and the Sega Ages collection will be downloadable versions of old Sega games available on the Switch.

Nash Diesel
April 25th, 2018, 12:12 PM
I recently bought the X-Men game for Sega Genesis for like $10. I can't even begin to tell you guys how many hours of my life have been dedicated to this game. We used to rent it all the fucking time. The fact this game still works with the shape it's in is astonishing.

Psycho666Soldier
April 25th, 2018, 8:41 PM
I recently bought the X-Men game for Sega Genesis for like $10. I can't even begin to tell you guys how many hours of my life have been dedicated to this game. We used to rent it all the fucking time. The fact this game still works with the shape it's in is astonishing.
You talking about the first one where you can play as Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit or Colossus, or X-Men 2 where Psylocke is a one of the characters? I loved both of them, but I think the first one definitely ate up most of my time as a child.

Also, Adamantium Rage was my shit.

Randolph
April 26th, 2018, 1:27 AM
I won't waste money buying new old consoles. I have been able to play most NES, SNES, Sega and other early games on my computer since 2002. I would rather invest in the old systems I already have if I wanted to play old games (ie buy old SNES games and play my old Super Nintendo).

Nash Diesel
April 26th, 2018, 10:20 AM
You talking about the first one where you can play as Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit or Colossus, or X-Men 2 where Psylocke is a one of the characters? I loved both of them, but I think the first one definitely ate up most of my time as a child.

Also, Adamantium Rage was my shit.

This is the one where it's Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit, and NIGHTCRAWLER. They do have a special ability where you can call upon other X-Men like IceMan, Jean Grey, etc.

http://img2.game-oldies.com/sites/default/files/packshots/sega-genesis/x-men-usa.png

This is what you're thinking of I believe:

https://www.loveroms.com/assets/data/sega-genesis/11002front-2120.jpg

I won't waste money buying new old consoles. I have been able to play most NES, SNES, Sega and other early games on my computer since 2002. I would rather invest in the old systems I already have if I wanted to play old games (ie buy old SNES games and play my old Super Nintendo).

I'll say this...The Retro Duo is worth it because the updated console is basically like buying a brand new system as opposed to hoping your 30 year old system is going to stay in tact forever. Let me put it this way, I've probably owned 7 NES' in my life. 6 of them were within the last 15 years that I would get from garage sales or pawn shops and they would all crap out within a year. So the Retro def holds up and it was only $40 on Amazon.

My ex's mom bought me the Sega Genesis that has the built in games for like $45 at Best Buy about 4-5 years ago. It's ok, you can use regular Sega controllers and it plays most games so that's a plus. I wish my consoles held up but seriously, not even $100 and I have 3 of the top systems of my childhood haha. I've spent more in games than I have in the actual consoles.

Never got into playing them on the computer. I used to have a couple computer games, like when Max Payne first came out we would hit the bong and play that shit for hours. Matrix baby!

Hero!
April 26th, 2018, 11:17 AM

RetroPie, my guy. I put one together like nothing and use it to play old 8 and 16-bit games. BOTW got me interested in playing all the old Zeldas again, so I bring my Retropie to work and play Legend of Zelda during my lunch break for like a week now.

Psycho666Soldier
April 26th, 2018, 9:53 PM
This is the one where it's Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit, and NIGHTCRAWLER. They do have a special ability where you can call upon other X-Men like IceMan, Jean Grey, etc.

http://img2.game-oldies.com/sites/default/files/packshots/sega-genesis/x-men-usa.png

This is what you're thinking of I believe:

https://www.loveroms.com/assets/data/sega-genesis/11002front-2120.jpg

I actually meant Nightcrawler. Colossus is in that second one with Psylocke. Both dope games, though. That first one is just extra nostalgic for me.

Eddie Brock
April 27th, 2018, 7:14 AM
Still wishing for the N64 Mini... will throw money at you, Nintendo.

Nash Diesel
April 27th, 2018, 9:33 AM
Still wishing for the N64 Mini... will throw money at you, Nintendo.

I miss the days of 20 of us getting together to play WCW v. NWO Revenge, No Mercy, Goldeneye, Turok, Mario, just a great system.

Eddie Brock
April 28th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I miss the days of 20 of us getting together to play WCW v. NWO Revenge, No Mercy, Goldeneye, Turok, Mario, just a great system.

I loved No Mercy, and wow you're definitely reminding me of a fun youth with my friends. We’d duel it out on Tuesdays after school. It was a blast! World Tour was beast, also.

Rancid_Planet
April 29th, 2018, 12:06 AM

Best wrestling games ever are still the n64 ones.

Dreyski
April 29th, 2018, 6:20 AM
Except when No Mercy wiped all your data at the end of each storyline :mad:

Eddie Brock
April 29th, 2018, 2:36 PM
I remember having a lot of fun with WrestleMania 2000. However WCW/nWo Revenge is pretty good too, to the point where you should get the one with the roster you prefer.

Mr. Boombastic
April 29th, 2018, 2:40 PM
Wrestlemania 2000 is better than No Mercy. No Mercy has a few more wrestlers and modes, but Wrestlemania 2000 was so much smoother playing with 4 players and had fewer flaws like was mentioned above.

Eddie Brock
April 30th, 2018, 12:40 AM
I love both these games equally. If you were to take features from one game onto the next and et cetra then it would be the complete game. It's like choosing identical twins, but having to keep one. As for Revenge, it's good, but it's bare bones. There's no story to anything, and there's an edit mode not a create-a-wrestler. It was great for its time, but WWE blew it out of the water.

Fro
May 24th, 2018, 9:52 AM
I bought Super Mario 64 on Wii U for $10 and I've been playing that. Gotten up to about 50 stars in the last week or two.

It holds up very well IMO and plays well on Wii U.

Rancid_Planet
May 29th, 2018, 11:36 PM
A month or two ago I got the idea to go back and play old Tony hawk games. So I started with 3. I kicked it's ass and after walking around with Wish by Alien Ant Farm stuck in my head for weeks I decided to move onto the classic THPS 4.

Only to not be able to find the motherfucker anywhere. I know I had it somewhere. I have all of them (well the good ones. Nothing after 8) and I quite literally tore the house apart trying to find it.

I didn't even want to play it THAT badly but it was a matter of principle. Even after Chelsie told me "Honey you can buy it on amazon for literally 2 dollars" I did not stop looking.

Well long story short I ordered it from amazon and when I get home tonight I have to reassemble the living room and all the closets from where I destroyed them last night.

Fro
May 30th, 2018, 2:53 PM
A month or two ago I got the idea to go back and play old Tony hawk games. So I started with 3. I kicked it's ass and after walking around with Wish by Alien Ant Farm stuck in my head for weeks I decided to move onto the classic THPS 4.

Only to not be able to find the motherfucker anywhere. I know I had it somewhere. I have all of them (well the good ones. Nothing after 8) and I quite literally tore the house apart trying to find it.

I didn't even want to play it THAT badly but it was a matter of principle. Even after Chelsie told me "Honey you can buy it on amazon for literally 2 dollars" I did not stop looking.

Well long story short I ordered it from amazon and when I get home tonight I have to reassemble the living room and all the closets from where I destroyed them last night.

these games were classic

Rancid_Planet
May 30th, 2018, 10:34 PM
these games were classic

They really are. Talk about a game to just zone out and lose yourself in. Something about them just always made them a perfect time killer.

Fro
May 31st, 2018, 10:35 AM
They really are. Talk about a game to just zone out and lose yourself in. Something about them just always made them a perfect time killer.

the soundtracks are so classic too. for whatever reason they had all songs that get stuck in your head. off hand I'm not sure of the one you mentioned but just talking about these games makes Blitzkrieg Bop get stuck in my head.

hey! ho! let's go!

Pablo Diablo
May 31st, 2018, 11:52 AM
You can’t mention tony hawk songs without mentioning the classic Superman by Goldfinger

Rancid_Planet
May 31st, 2018, 4:46 PM
the soundtracks are so classic too. for whatever reason they had all songs that get stuck in your head. off hand I'm not sure of the one you mentioned but just talking about these games makes Blitzkrieg Bop get stuck in my head.

hey! ho! let's go!

Also from 3. I know because of just playing it through. Those soundtracks were actually what got me to start giving rap music a chance as before that I was a rock only guy.

My copy of THPS 4 just showed up. Happiness.

Eddie Brock
May 31st, 2018, 7:00 PM
I have to say, I never played TH1, but the second one was a game that marked my life. That said, I couldn't help but think how it feel outdated. It might have been great two decades ago but I can't see it having relevance today. I adore it. It was just really special to play back in the day... love TH wish they'd got a remaster like Crash n.sane trilogy.

Rancid_Planet
May 31st, 2018, 10:22 PM
Yeah the first two are really hard to play now. Basically they just don't let you do nearly enough. 3 is fun but the levels feel really tiny. THPS 4, Underground 1 and 2, American Wasteland and THPS8 are the best games to go back and replay. Something I used to do all the time but it's been a few years.

I just started up 4 this afternoon before I had to leave for work and just skating around College brought back so many memories of playing games of horse and graffiti with my brother all night long.

Eddie Brock
June 1st, 2018, 4:20 AM
These games are nostalgic for me. I used to play 2 and later 3 on PC, and I had 4 for GCN. A few years ago when I bought my N64, I got Banjo-Kazooie and THPS2 with it. Banjo-Kazooie didn't work, so I spent a lot of time playing that. I lost interest at 4. I wasn't a fan of punk music at the time but these games got me into it more.

Psycho666Soldier
June 1st, 2018, 11:44 AM
I actually found a copy of THPS2 at a thrift shop for like 3 bucks a few weeks ago. Played the shit out of it for like three weeks straight. It really made me want to go back and play the first one, but not having manuals is a killer. I need to find a copy of THPS3, though, because that game was king for me.

I was more a fan of THPS4 then most were, but the game kinda lost it's charm for me. Underground 1 and American Wasteland were the shit, though.

Mr. Boombastic
June 1st, 2018, 9:07 PM
Memory cards have ruined some classic games for me lately, for whatever reason none of my N64 memory cards work anymore, so for like 40% of the games that require them, they are basically unplayable unless I just want to have like a 15 hour game marathon.

Also my PS2 just no longer reads the memory cards in the first slot, but it will in the 2nd slot, but certain games will not recognize the 2nd slot memory card for some reason. For example, I wanted to play GTA San Andreas while my wife went out of town, but it's not exactly the type of game you play in one sitting. Very frustrating.

It is one of the pros about playing, nes/snes/sega over some of the 2nd or 3rd generation systems, as they usually have a password or battery backup memory.

Rancid_Planet
June 1st, 2018, 11:11 PM
I actually found a copy of THPS2 at a thrift shop for like 3 bucks a few weeks ago. Played the shit out of it for like three weeks straight. It really made me want to go back and play the first one, but not having manuals is a killer. I need to find a copy of THPS3, though, because that game was king for me.

I was more a fan of THPS4 then most were, but the game kinda lost it's charm for me. Underground 1 and American Wasteland were the shit, though.

Underground 2 really was inferior to the first one wasn't it? I mean the first one had an actual story to follow. The second had a lame Jackassy kind of story they cobbled together. And some of the levels were uninspired.

Peter Griffin
June 2nd, 2018, 6:12 AM
I bought Super Mario 64 on Wii U for $10 and I've been playing that. Gotten up to about 50 stars in the last week or two.

It holds up very well IMO and plays well on Wii U.

Can you buy old n64 games on the switch in the same manner? I am debating Switch vs Xbox One to go alongside my Ps4.

Fro
June 2nd, 2018, 9:45 AM
Can you buy old n64 games on the switch in the same manner? I am debating Switch vs Xbox One to go alongside my Ps4.

To my knowledge no but I don't own a Switch. I know they have said they aren't doing a virtual console on Switch like they did on Wii and Wii U. Too bad because that might put me over the top to buy a Switch as well. They have said however that this doesn't mean they won't still re-release old games on Switch just that they aren't using the "virtual console" banner so we'll see. Many people are speculating that they're moving away from virtual console because of the success of NES mini and SNES mini and that N64 mini may be next up although it's not been announced.

I will add that if I were not a Wii U owner I would be all over Switch because if I hadn't already experienced or had access to Mario Kart 8, Zelda, Splatoon & Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, those would be enough to put me over the top along with my unrelenting desire to play Mario Odyssey. But as a Wii U owner I don't care much about getting MK8 again even though it's my favorite game of the decade and I got like 500 hours out of it.

Peter Griffin
June 2nd, 2018, 10:02 AM
Cheers :yes:

Morrison
June 2nd, 2018, 1:51 PM
get a switch, unless you're a big fan of halo and gears of war. i can't even remember the last time i turned on my xbox one. their exclusive titles are almost non-existent, so you're not missing out on much, and the switch offers up a totally different experience.

Peter Griffin
June 2nd, 2018, 4:22 PM
:yes: That was what I was thinking myself, I mean I do like those series and I played Sunset Overdrive which I enjoyed,And from what I gather the backwards compatibility options are pretty expansive But I haven't owned a Nintendo since the 64 so it would certainly feel a lot fresher. I kinda wish they had a version of Achievements/Trophies but hey ho.

Psycho666Soldier
June 3rd, 2018, 8:25 PM
Underground 2 really was inferior to the first one wasn't it? I mean the first one had an actual story to follow. The second had a lame Jackassy kind of story they cobbled together. And some of the levels were uninspired.

Absolutely. Plus, the first one really gave you that feeling of starting as your average street skater punk who gets noticed, sponsored, and makes it to the big leagues. As someone who grew up skating, that was such an immersive angle for the game, especially when it came to creating your own special and choosing what company you wanted to sponsor you and all that. Underground 2 had some fun goals, and some of the Jackassy cutscenes were amusing, but yeah, the story was almost non-existent and it didn't really feel like it did anything new.

Rancid_Planet
June 4th, 2018, 1:44 AM
Absolutely. Plus, the first one really gave you that feeling of starting as your average street skater punk who gets noticed, sponsored, and makes it to the big leagues. As someone who grew up skating, that was such an immersive angle for the game, especially when it came to creating your own special and choosing what company you wanted to sponsor you and all that. Underground 2 had some fun goals, and some of the Jackassy cutscenes were amusing, but yeah, the story was almost non-existent and it didn't really feel like it did anything new.

I totally agree. On all points. Underground 2 felt kind of empty. American Wasteland had a really fun story as well. Better dialogue and insane levels made me fall in love the first time I played it.

RuneEdge
June 4th, 2018, 2:15 AM
:yes: That was what I was thinking myself, I mean I do like those series and I played Sunset Overdrive which I enjoyed,And from what I gather the backwards compatibility options are pretty expansive But I haven't owned a Nintendo since the 64 so it would certainly feel a lot fresher. I kinda wish they had a version of Achievements/Trophies but hey ho.

Besides a few exclusives, the majority of the games on the Xbox One will be the same as what you can already play on the PS4. Plus you have to fork out another £40 a year for the online. The Switch on the other hand will cost half of that for online, and give you a larger range of games and gaming experiences that you can't get anywhere else.
I think I've bought more games for the Switch in its first year than I've bought for any other console in the same time frame.

Morrison
June 4th, 2018, 3:22 AM
I think I've bought more games for the Switch in its first year than I've bought for any other console in the same time frame.

same. i got my switch back in october, a week before odyssey came out. eight months later and ive got 20 games for it. i think i maybe have 50 for my ps4, and i got that the week it came out in 2013, and a good handful of those are some free ps+ titles. and theres still so much in the eshop that i want, and so much still to come. nintendo had really managed to hit the sweet spot with the switch. more than half my switch library are smaller indie titles, too.

The Rosk
June 4th, 2018, 4:00 AM
https://ia801907.us.archive.org/32/items/Edge_Special_Edition_-_The_Making_Of..._2016/Edge_Special_Edition_-_The_Making_Of..._2016.pdf

Free 120 page PDF of an Edge special edition magazine “The Making Of..” if anyone wants something to flick through.

Peter Griffin
June 4th, 2018, 5:24 AM
I think you fine gentleman have made my mind up :cheers:

Eddie Brock
June 5th, 2018, 8:00 PM
I liked all the Pro Skater ones and THUG 1, but THUG 2 was disappointing. The story mode was ridiculous, and the levels weren't great. I ordered SSX 3 on Amazon for $15, I got it today, and there was no disc inside the case! Typical, but just maybe, very slight chance however, the seller forgot to put the disc inside.

Rancid_Planet
June 5th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I liked all the Pro Skater ones and THUG 1, but THUG 2 was disappointing. The story mode was ridiculous, and the levels weren't great. I ordered SSX 3 on Amazon for $15, I got it today, and there was no disc inside the case! Typical, but just maybe, very slight chance however, the seller forgot to put the disc inside.

It's happened before. You habe to contact that person. 15 bucks is 15 bucks.

Rancid_Planet
September 4th, 2018, 12:52 AM
Well I'm losing hope on the N64 classic happening anytime soon.

So I ordered a replacement N64 system and some games.

Eddie Brock
September 4th, 2018, 5:28 PM
Part of me hopes that we're not hearing anything about it because they're in the process of working out a deal with Microsoft. It'd make sense after working with Nintendo on the Minecraft port.

Now Sony making a mini Playstation that had like 50 classic games on it with two original controllers packed in? Maybe memory slots so if you had old saves you could pick up where you left off 20+ years ago or whatever? That I'd see flying off shelves.

Rancid_Planet
September 4th, 2018, 9:45 PM
If they don't work out something with MS then the N64 classic is going to be a bit of a letdown.

No Rare games can appear on it if they didn't use Nintendo licensed characters. So no Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, no Goldeneye 007 but that wouldn't have happened anyway because Nintendo doesn't ever bring back games for stuff like this if they involve licensing issues.

So also no WWF games.

Basically it will have Mario 64, the Zelda games, Mario Kart, the Mario Party games, DK64, and probably Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64 for sure.

It's gonna be tough. I'm sure it will still come out but I'm aching to play some of these games NOW. I feel like this Christmas will be for the two classics already out.

Eddie Brock
September 5th, 2018, 1:38 AM
So, I revisited Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie in the last several weeks and 100%'d both of them for the first time, and the games still put a smile on my face the whole time I was playing. I know BK isn't a series everyone with an N64 got into, but it's hard to deny how good/memorable these games are to this day. I remember taking so long to beat Grunty in Tooie as a kid, but now, it's a breeze.

Rancid_Planet
September 8th, 2018, 9:58 PM
100 percenting Tooie is a fucking accomplishment.

Rancid_Planet
September 9th, 2018, 4:10 PM
Well my N64 system showed up. As did my copies of Mario 64, Banjo and StarFox 64.

I'm already 31 stars into Mario. This game still rocks. God it takes me back. I haven't played the original version in 15 yearsish.

Eddie Brock
September 9th, 2018, 10:11 PM
I'm playing Yoshi's Woolly World, and it's bringing back memories of Yoshi's Story. You got to get Yoshi's Story. Pokémon Snap and Pokémon Stadium are definitely part of the experience. Spider-Man 64 was a gem. Was always fond of Snowboard Kids too. Got all the stars in Mario probably a year or so ago, bust out Star Fox once every few months, and play Kart multiplayer once in a while.

Rancid_Planet
September 10th, 2018, 2:30 AM
I really should get Yoshi's story. I had it back in the day but as I recall the control stick went out on my controller or something and I couldn't play it right away. Then when I finally got a working controller I had moved on to other shit and it just sat in the pile forever.

I watched my brothers play Stadium a lot and I rented Snap once or twice and had a total blast.

Hero!
October 18th, 2018, 6:19 PM
This system is incredible and everyone should get one

Morrison
October 18th, 2018, 7:33 PM
Omg I will GoldenEye the fuck out of that thing.

i doubt many rare games will be on there unless mircosoft and nintendo work out some kind of deal.

Rancid_Planet
October 18th, 2018, 9:49 PM
i doubt many rare games will be on there unless mircosoft and nintendo work out some kind of deal.

Yeah I hadn't considered the licensing issues either. Even if a deal is worked out with MS there is basically no way we'd get Goldeneye 007.

Or for that matter Wrestlemania 2000 or No Mercy. Probably no Star Wars games either.

I think the only Rare game that would definitely be on this thing would be DK64 because Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong name and likeness.

Rancid_Planet
October 18th, 2018, 9:51 PM
This system is incredible and everyone should get one

I gotta know.

What game did you go to first?

Hero!
October 18th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Starfox to unlock starfox 2

Mark Hammer
October 18th, 2018, 11:16 PM

You may very well be right, but imagine an N64 mini without Goldeneye.

Spudz Mackenzie
October 19th, 2018, 1:03 AM
Well, the NES and SNES Minis have both been hacked to include more games.

That'll probably happen to the Nintendo 64 mini. So, once it is, add all the Goldeneyes and Perfect Darks, and.... Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers you want to it.

Eddie Brock
October 19th, 2018, 1:04 PM
I'm seeing these units going for $500 on eBay that have been modded to include an HDMI port so you can enjoy a crisp picture in 1080...anyone have or tried out one of these HDMI N64s?

RuneEdge
October 20th, 2018, 9:20 AM
I'm seeing these units going for $500 on eBay that have been modded to include an HDMI port so you can enjoy a crisp picture in 1080...anyone have or tried out one of these HDMI N64s?

The picture quality is as clean as you can possibly get. It will look like its running on an emulator. The reason it costs so much is because the mod kits are hard to get a hold of, and then the installation is quite difficult with all the fine soldering work required.

Having said that, for $500 you're better off getting a RBG modded N64 and then a good scaler that will convert the scart output to HDMI. The picture quality would be almost identical, and the scaler would work with other console (that use scart) and provide the same picture quality for all of them.

Matthew
October 20th, 2018, 10:22 AM
fuck em runey fuck em up clap clap

RuneEdge
October 20th, 2018, 6:02 PM
I'm on fire right now.

Simmo Fortyone
October 21st, 2018, 8:43 PM
I have SNES Mini and play the shit out of it.

That said, I'm going to look into this Raspberry Pi bizzo

Version 6
October 21st, 2018, 10:59 PM

If you can find something like that for sale that comes pre-loaded with a fuckton of roms and doesn't require any setup - let me know.

Version 6
October 22nd, 2018, 4:16 AM
Nvm just bought one. will let you know what its like

Version 6
October 22nd, 2018, 5:34 AM
Where can I find a good rom pack

LOCONUT
October 24th, 2018, 3:00 AM
Have you checked up your arse?

LOCONUT
October 24th, 2018, 3:01 AM
https://nicoblog.org/rompacks-romsets/

Mark Hammer
October 24th, 2018, 9:49 PM
Have you checked up your arse?

He said rom packs, not dicks.

Version 6
October 25th, 2018, 12:41 AM
Had a look and can confirm that there were none.

Well, no rom packs anyway.

Version 6
October 25th, 2018, 6:49 PM

I bought a Raspberry Pi (retropie) console, in a NES style case with SNES style controllers.

Comes preloaded with the emulators and Kodi.

There's a little bit (but not much) set up required and you'll have to sort the Roms out yourself but its honestly very quick and the tutorials make it a piece of piss, even for a technodunce like myself.

I subscribe to Netflix (US and AU), Hulu, HBO Now, Stan and probably other shit I've forgotten about, an I've been watching stuff on Kodi that isn't on any of those streaming services (Beavis and Butthead for instance).

Best $130 I've spent in ages. Let me know if you want the link to the store I purchased from and I'll PM you.

Rancid_Planet
October 25th, 2018, 10:27 PM
I bought a Raspberry Pi (retropie) console, in a NES style case with SNES style controllers.

Comes preloaded with the emulators and Kodi.

There's a little bit (but not much) set up required and you'll have to sort the Roms out yourself but its honestly very quick and the tutorials make it a piece of piss, even for a technodunce like myself.

I subscribe to Netflix (US and AU), Hulu, HBO Now, Stan and probably other shit I've forgotten about, an I've been watching stuff on Kodi that isn't on any of those streaming services (Beavis and Butthead for instance).

Best $130 I've spent in ages. Let me know if you want the link to the store I purchased from and I'll PM you.

Yeah send me that link please.

Version 6
October 26th, 2018, 12:39 AM
It's an Australian store, so the shipping would fuck you up.

Mark Hammer
October 26th, 2018, 12:44 AM
Just get ZSNES and downoad some free roms ffs. And buy one of those $20 USB controllers at Wal-Mart. What is wrong with you people?

Version 6
October 26th, 2018, 1:03 AM
Just get ZSNES and downoad some free roms ffs. And buy one of those $20 USB controllers at Wal-Mart. What is wrong with you people?

But I like having a nice looking console with loads of games on it. $130 is a steal IMO.

Big
October 26th, 2018, 4:25 AM
I got the raspberry pi a year ago. I hooked up my PS4 controller to it because the SNES controllers were a bit laggy in how quickly they responded to button pushing. It came preloaded with every Atari, NES,SNES, Gameboy, Sega, Gameboy Color, NDS, NeoGeo & Sega CD game that has been released, as well as many N64 & PS1 games. It's a bit tedious playing N64 games with a PS4 controller, but other then that no problems.

Eddie Brock
October 26th, 2018, 8:27 PM
If you want complete ROM sets, as in every game released for the NES for every country do a search for "GoodNES" or "GoodSNES." They'll typically have a number on the end of the file name as well. Additionally the Pi 3 still runs some N64 games poorly, not to mention most Dreamcast games. GameCube is out of the question right now on the Pi and likely will be for a while.

Simon
January 10th, 2019, 6:18 AM
I have a SNES emulator on my phone which syncs up to a controller...fuck me lads, Super Mario Kart is still BRILLIANT. Not just "this is shit compared to nowadays but the feelings of nostalgia make me happy" - it's still really good fun.

wardy
January 10th, 2019, 8:45 AM
It's arguably the best Mario Kart for me because it doesn't use the 'rubber band' gameplay to help you catch up if you're shite. You can lap or be lapped by the computer controlled characters which rarely happens in the other games.

Rancid_Planet
January 10th, 2019, 11:44 PM
It's arguably the best Mario Kart for me because it doesn't use the 'rubber band' gameplay to help you catch up if you're shite. You can lap or be lapped by the computer controlled characters which rarely happens in the other games.

I haven't played it in years but I do recall the N64 version being the same way. Once you got good you could just lap everyone and 2nd place wound up so far behind you that it didn't matter.

I think the "rubber band" cpu play started with Mario Kart Double Dash. But even then if you got good enough you could learn to actually dodge blue shells and still lap everyone no matter how many the cpu characters amazingly had.

Then by the time Mario Kart DS came out it was totally fucked. No matter how perfectly you played there would always be someone right up your ass as you crossed the finish line. Pretty much all subsequent games have had the same issue. Although I don't think any were as bad as the first DS version.

Mark Hammer
January 11th, 2019, 12:17 AM
I love Mario Kart but I've always felt the system where the further back you were the better items you got was a shoddy way to help shitty players.

Version 6
January 11th, 2019, 12:23 AM
I have a SNES emulator on my phone which syncs up to a controller...fuck me lads, Super Mario Kart is still BRILLIANT. Not just "this is shit compared to nowadays but the feelings of nostalgia make me happy" - it's still really good fun.

You can say that for so many Nintendo titles.

I played Super Mario World all the way through about 6 months ago. Still an absolutely brilliant game, nearly 30 years on.

Rancid_Planet
January 11th, 2019, 12:41 AM
I love Mario Kart but I've always felt the system where the further back you were the better items you got was a shoddy way to help shitty players.

Lol my 8 year old just discovered Mario Kart with his new Switch and told me the same thing. He was like "why should you get a reward for being bad at the game?.

I had no explanation to give him except reminding him that if he was ever getting beat and was in last place he would be so happy with all those blue shells and lightning bolts.

wardy
January 11th, 2019, 1:01 AM
I absolutely hate that. You should be able to choose whether you want it that way or with completely random items, no matter what position you're in.

Psycho666Soldier
January 11th, 2019, 10:17 AM
You can say that for so many Nintendo titles.

I played Super Mario World all the way through about 6 months ago. Still an absolutely brilliant game, nearly 30 years on.

I actually just played through SMW a week ago. While it was a bit easier than I remember it being, I can completely confirm this. Such a purely fun game with excellent stage design and graphics. And the soundtrack is so catchy(even if it's basically the same song stylized in different ways).

wardy
January 11th, 2019, 10:56 AM
My favourite Mario game. Much easier than 1 and 3 though.

Mr. Boombastic
January 12th, 2019, 10:08 AM
I actually just played through SMW a week ago. While it was a bit easier than I remember it being, I can completely confirm this. Such a purely fun game with excellent stage design and graphics. And the soundtrack is so catchy(even if it's basically the same song stylized in different ways).

SMW is easier if you are just simply trying to beat it, but getting to 100 percent completion is the real challenge.

RuneEdge
January 12th, 2019, 10:34 AM
SMW is easier if you are just simply trying to beat it, but getting to 100 percent completion is the real challenge.

This. :yes:
If you're not playing this game to unlock all 96 exits and every Yoshi coin, then you're not really playing the game.

Mark Hammer
January 12th, 2019, 12:53 PM
I absolutely hate that. You should be able to choose whether you want it that way or with completely random items, no matter what position you're in.

The game would be soooooo much better if the items were completely random or better yet if there was a percentage for obtaining each item with the better ones being less common (for everyone).

You get hit with a blue turtle shell (or 2) literally every time you're in first place for any extended amount of time. It's tedious knowing it's coming at all times and being forced to be prepared to slam on the brakes at any moment so you can maybe catch 2nd and 3rd place racers in the blast.

wardy
January 12th, 2019, 12:55 PM
This. :yes:
If you're not playing this game to unlock all 96 exits and every Yoshi coin, then you're not really playing the game.
Even then it's still not as hard as 1 or 3.

Mark Hammer
January 12th, 2019, 1:00 PM
I don't remember 3 being particularly difficult at all. SMB1 though for sure was NES hard.

RuneEdge
January 12th, 2019, 6:25 PM
If you're trying to play every level, 1 and 3 might be harder. I always remember using warps and whistles to play those games, which made them significantly shorter and easier. So I can't vouch for just how hard they were.
I think the two things that made Mario World easier was how quickly you can earn and stack up a fuck ton of 1UPs, and also how you had a fair few stages where you can use the cape to just fly the whole way through (plus there was the blue Yoshi that made it even easier once you got him).
Besides skipping the stages entirely, the difficulty of the levels were harder to cheat your way through in Mario Bros 1 and 3.

wardy
January 12th, 2019, 6:44 PM
Aye, we're talking about playing every level in all 3 games. 1 and 3 have much harder levels towards the end compared to SMW IMO which makes them harder games.

World is the ultimate Mario game though.

Rancid_Planet
January 12th, 2019, 11:31 PM
I've never beat SMB 3 without warping through most of the game. It's two bitches and a bastard.

SMW world is fairly easy outside of the advanced Star Road levels.

Psycho666Soldier
January 13th, 2019, 3:05 AM
I echo the sentiments that SMW is still pretty easy even if you're trying to get all the exits and Dragon Coins, because that's exactly what I did. On that note, I find the Dragon Coins pretty pointless in comparison to Red coins in later stages.

Simon
January 13th, 2019, 10:27 AM
I remember the Lost Levels on Mario All-Stars seeming way harder than any of the original games.

Also my condolences to anyone unfortunate enough to play Mario Is Missing thinking it was a proper Mario game. I only borrowed it off a mate and was still heartbroken, imagine spending £40 on it.

RuneEdge
January 13th, 2019, 11:02 AM
The harder difficulty was exactly why Lost Levels never made it outside Japan on the NES (where it was called Mario Bros 2). I remember finding warp pipes in that game that actually took you BACK to previous worlds. :lol:

Mark Hammer
January 13th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Also my condolences to anyone unfortunate enough to play Mario Is Missing thinking it was a proper Mario game. I only borrowed it off a mate and was still heartbroken, imagine spending £40 on it.

This applies to every kid that ever played it I'm sure.

That box art... then popping it in the NES when you get home... then "wtf is this shit"

Simon
January 13th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Was it on NES as well? I had it on SNES.

RuneEdge
January 13th, 2019, 11:42 AM

You could also get it on the PC.

JP
January 13th, 2019, 12:30 PM
I don't remember 3 being particularly difficult at all. SMB1 though for sure was NES hard.

I played through 3 again recently.

3 is much, much easier than 1 or SMW until you hit World 8.

Worlds 1 through 7 are an absolute cake walk. The difficulty jump come World 8 - especially if you're going for every level - is obscene.

Mark Hammer
January 13th, 2019, 12:49 PM

I think so? Or maybe I'm thinking Mario's Time Machine. Another shit educational game that used the Mario brand to trick kids into playing it.

Rancid_Planet
January 13th, 2019, 4:09 PM
Yeah if I wanted to learn I wouldn't be playing video games.

Stop trying to be a book video games.

Version 6
January 13th, 2019, 5:58 PM
Super Mario World is the GOAT.

And as others have said, if you haven't got that little gold star next to your save file, you haven't really finished the game.

For ages, that little star eluded me, until I found Soda Lake.

Rancid_Planet
January 13th, 2019, 7:14 PM
All this talk about playing SMW through to 96☆.

Now I have to do it again.

Simon
January 14th, 2019, 4:58 AM
What's this gold star you're all on about?

RuneEdge
January 14th, 2019, 5:10 AM
What's this gold star you're all on about?

Unlocking all 96 exits.

Rancid_Planet
January 14th, 2019, 6:36 PM
You have to beat every level in every way you can. Red dot levels have two exits. Ghost houses as well.

Then there's completing Star Road and then beating all the bonus levels.

JP
January 14th, 2019, 6:49 PM
How would people feel about a community run through of SMW for the 96?

Anybody who wants to starting the game at roughly the same time and keeping thoughts, experiences and random shit in a thread dedicated to it.

Psycho666Soldier
January 14th, 2019, 6:55 PM
If I didn't JUST do it, I'd be in. I'll gladly comment in the thread if you all decide to do it.

JP
January 14th, 2019, 6:57 PM
There's always fucking one. :squint:

Doesn't have to be SMW, could be anything which people are happy to play with a set target in mind.