PDA

View Full Version : If Wenger goes, who should replace him?

Simon
February 16th, 2017, 7:27 AM
So it looks like, after 20-something years, it might be the end of Wenger at Arsenal. For the first time since he joined (I think?) the club are acknowledging the possibility that he might leave, and after yet another season of likely stasis it might be the right time to look for a new manager. This isn't a thread for debating the pros and cons of Wenger as Arsenal manager, so keep that discussion to every single other fucking thread in this forum :D over the years we've always had debates about which flavour of the month might be in line to replace him, but now it looks like it might actually happen we can look at legitimate contenders...I've created a poll with the bookies' favourites.

BBF
February 16th, 2017, 7:38 AM
VIeira would be the worst choice. He's nowhere near ready, tactically naive and struggled with NYCFC last year.

Mik
February 16th, 2017, 7:45 AM
David Moyes.

Then LVG.

The Jose.

Beefy
February 16th, 2017, 8:30 AM
Michael Laudrup.

Fanny
February 16th, 2017, 9:20 AM
Sean Dychsshhche

son_of_foley
February 16th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Seeing him called "Yogi" makes me cringe. I'm sure this wasn't your doing Simon but it just feels so naff

Simon
February 16th, 2017, 10:58 AM
It's his name. Do you refer to the legendary British managers as Alexander Ferguson and William Shankley?

Andy
February 16th, 2017, 4:56 PM
Allegri is most appealing of those choices IMO.

G-Fresh
February 16th, 2017, 5:39 PM
Ralph Hassenhuttl is the right dude for the job.

_me
February 20th, 2017, 1:34 PM
Who ever it is they will not finish in the top 4

Mik
February 20th, 2017, 5:09 PM
Not been a lot of Arsenal boys in here considering this is their favourite subject.

Fanny
February 20th, 2017, 6:34 PM
probably because they don't have a Plan B

connorboy
February 21st, 2017, 1:00 PM
Allegri is most appealing of those choices IMO.

This. He'd never leave Juve for arsenal though at least not yet

Simon
February 21st, 2017, 1:09 PM
Thing is, the Italians have no culture of hanging around in the job (look at Palermo for a great example - 11 managerial changes in the last 15 months, including seven between November 2015 and April 2016) so it's fairly plausible that he could end up at Arsenal if no bigger job is available. Don't forget, Klopp had bigger clubs interested in him than Liverpool over the last couple of years he was at Dortmund, but the timing meant that none of them needed a manager by the time he was available. That said, this summer it looks likely that Barcelona will be looking for a new manager, possibly Madrid too if Zidane doesn't win every competition going as their board demands, or Allegri could just end up on the weird Italian merry-go-round where the top players and managers switch between Juve, Milan and Inter seemingly without any worry about rivalries.

Andy
February 21st, 2017, 5:15 PM
I think there's a really good chance Wenger ends up at either Barca or Real this summer.

son_of_foley
February 21st, 2017, 5:16 PM
Palermo have a mental owner though and have done that for years including hiring gattuso when they were relegated. I don't think the are the archetypal Italian club

StevieV
February 21st, 2017, 6:41 PM
It really doesn't matter. May as well appoint Tony Adams.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
February 22nd, 2017, 2:37 AM
Judging by their acute expertise Arsenal should have a group of fans run the team as some sort of "board".

The Beer Monster
February 22nd, 2017, 4:36 AM
I don't think it matters who it is, it's the one after them that might stick.

Simon
February 22nd, 2017, 5:21 AM
Palermo have a mental owner though and have done that for years including hiring gattuso when they were relegated. I don't think the are the archetypal Italian club

They're an extreme version but the culture in Italy is to bin the manager as soon as things turn sour. Most 'sacked' managers are actually put on gardening leave and continue to be paid, which is why you see teams cycling through managers and bringing the same ones back on a loop. Of the top Italian clubs Inter have had six managers in the past five years, Milan have had seven, Roma have had five, only Juventus have had any real consistency with two.

Murphy
February 22nd, 2017, 8:32 AM
Leonardo Jardim being linked today in some French publication.

Romford Pele
February 22nd, 2017, 6:46 PM
How do you know?

Mik
February 22nd, 2017, 7:18 PM
Maybe he heard it in some French publication?

Romford Pele
February 23rd, 2017, 3:46 AM
Who ever it is they will not finish in the top 4

Sorry I actually meant it in relation to this post.

There is more chance than not we will suffer in the short term as we will undoubtedly need a director of football, sporting director and other roles in addition to a new manager and these things take time to find the right people and get together.

I think at this point though, most fans are willing to roll the dice in regards to the manager as it has been proven we will not challenge for/win the title or champions league under him again, despite all the other good things he has done for the club.

I voted for Simeone purely on the fact that he is a winner and would get the squad playing to its full potential. However, I do think that unlikely due to the fact he is probably too difficult for our passive board, does not speak english ( to my knowledge) and has a different playing style.

I dont know much about Allegri but you.cant argue with his record in Italy.

Murphy
February 23rd, 2017, 6:21 AM
How do you know?

BBC had a link to it. Just another name to throw out there.

Dreyski
February 23rd, 2017, 6:24 AM
Owen Coyle's looking for a job...:chin:

Murphy
February 23rd, 2017, 6:26 AM
As is Pardew. :D

Romford Pele
February 23rd, 2017, 7:49 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

He seems to be going to a lot of Sutton matches now. Paul Doswell should be worried.

Beefy
February 23rd, 2017, 8:07 AM
Michael Laudrup. He's the absolute perfect fit for Arsenal. Everything about him as a person, him as a winner, his approach to the game. A couple of shit months at Swansea shouldn't impact that.

Simon
February 23rd, 2017, 8:11 AM
You're always going on about Michael Laudrup. Let it go Beefy, you're never going to meet him.

Romford Pele
February 23rd, 2017, 8:13 AM
Hahaha

I love the fact that Vieria is on the list. He has been persona non grata at the club for years.

RFF Champ
February 23rd, 2017, 8:18 AM
Michael Laudrup. He's the absolute perfect fit for Arsenal. Everything about him as a person, him as a winner, his approach to the game. A couple of shit months at Swansea shouldn't impact that.

He'd love all the selling of youth players that Arsenal do.

Dreyski
February 23rd, 2017, 4:12 PM
Ranieri :whoa:

Mik
February 23rd, 2017, 8:10 PM
At least he's got recent experience of winning the league.

The Rosk
February 28th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Probably bollocks but there's a story going round that Allegri has told friends he's taking over at Arsenal in the summer. Bit of a backwards/sideways step I would have thought.

Hlebsfall
February 28th, 2017, 12:58 PM
There was a report last night saying that in January Wenger had turned down 30m a year to go manage in China. I'm pretty certain the only way he will leave the club is in a coffin.

Simon
February 28th, 2017, 1:43 PM
Is that a wry comment or a threat?

Mik
February 28th, 2017, 5:22 PM
That's just the kind of loyalty and commitment that we are always criticising players for not having. What a guy.

Simon
February 28th, 2017, 5:25 PM
I hope Wenger signs with a Chinese side and buys Sanchez before he's even got off the plane.