Kdestiny
March 10th, 2017, 8:56 PM
I hate this

Honey_Badger
March 10th, 2017, 9:03 PM
Patriots are amazing.

Percussion
March 10th, 2017, 9:21 PM
So far this week they've acquired Cooks, Dwayne Allen, and Kony Ealy by trade and all they gave up was a 1st. They moved back from 2nd to 3rd, moved back from 3rd to 4th, and moved back from 4th to 6th, but still kept picks in a deep draft. Also signed top FA Pro-Bowl CB Stephon Gilmore whIle everyone else was ogling AJ Bouye.

Playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

Kneeneighbor
March 10th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Packers got a good price on Bennett.

Fro
March 10th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Yeah 3 years/18 mil for Bennett is a good deal. He was looking for more so it seems like the market didn't pan out as well as he wanted but I'm glad he went to a good team and can play with A-Rod. With any luck the Pats will square up with him next season in February.

Kneeneighbor
March 10th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Rumor is Cook turned down more money from the Packers earlier.

Kdestiny
March 10th, 2017, 11:50 PM
The Patriots somehow get better.

Meanwhile Chicago is looking a bit like a shit show, better have a killer draft. That's something I don't expect given their history

Fro
March 11th, 2017, 12:28 AM
This has been a wildly aggressive offseason for the Patriots and it's far from over. I don't see them staying put picking at #72 in a supposedly strong draft so there's likely a shoe to drop with an outgoing player. I hope that's a monster Jimmy G trade but it could be Malcolm Butler or Eric Rowe.

Signing Hightower is still key. Without him they'll have a weakness at linebacker without the draft capital to replace him.

But yea this is a lot of fun. They're finally going ALL IN with 40 year old Brady after being forward thinking for 10 years. :panic:

Fro
March 11th, 2017, 1:23 AM
As for the Cooks trade: I love getting the player, I love the aggressiveness but I'm not going to act like we fleeced them. We gave up a 1st and a 3rd which is a lot. He's a small fast guy not someone who can body a CB and go up for the ball. The Pats and Saints have had shared practices in recent years so Bill must like what he's seen.

Paying Gilmore what we did (31 mil guaranteed, 40 guaranteed for injury) could also be an albatross of a deal if he underperforms. The last time we gave someone that money in free agency was Adalius Thomas but again Belichick has seen him a ton since he's coming from Buffalo.

That said, if we can somehow finish the offseason with Butler and Hightower on the roster then we will have a top 5 defense plus the best offense and probably go 19-0.

Chris Scott
March 11th, 2017, 11:14 AM
The Dolphins win the off-season most off-seasons

Difference this time is they are under a quality coach in Gase.

Randolph
March 11th, 2017, 11:57 AM
The Lions are being too quiet for my tastes. They signed a decent OL, but they really need to step up their game to sign some quality cover guys and linebackers. I am sick of seeing our backfield get torched by every QB we faced last year. Drafting a couple is fine, but some veteran talent to compliment them would be much appreciated.

BigAl
March 14th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Lacy to Seattle. One year, $5.55M. Good pickup for them and a good spot for Lacy, I think.

TimeSplitter
March 14th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Yeah, he should pair well with Rawls.

Kdestiny
March 14th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Yeah, he should pair well with Rawls.

Still got Procise too

TimeSplitter
March 14th, 2017, 1:03 PM
Feast Mode to replace Beast Mode.

Fro
March 14th, 2017, 1:23 PM
Obese Mode

Malcolm Butler will visit the Saints on Thursday as it looks like his time with the Pats may be coming to an end. It'll be sad to see him go but I hope he gets a good contract and brings us back a 1st round pick.

ReDPath
March 14th, 2017, 2:26 PM
How do you give a guy with no experience in your organization a huge contract, and not give the guy who if it weren't him and Carroll. You would only have 1 trophy in the last 3 seasons instead of 2?

Bill is such a heartless fuck. Its part of his success, but still.

TimeSplitter
March 14th, 2017, 2:34 PM
Could be that they knew Butler wanted to leave, so they signed Gillmore to replace him.

PurePlayer
March 14th, 2017, 2:51 PM
Lacy to Seattle. One year, $5.55M. Good pickup for them and a good spot for Lacy, I think.

seems like way too much for a overweight running back who hasn't had a good year since like 2014.

PurePlayer
March 14th, 2017, 2:52 PM
Could be that they knew Butler wanted to leave, so they signed Gillmore to replace him.

maybe he wanted to leave because he heard the pats wanted to unload him or not resign him? If the Pats wanted to sign him, I doubt he would want to leave

Honey_Badger
March 14th, 2017, 2:58 PM
It seems, more than not, Butler is disgruntled at the fact the Pats signed another corner and attempted, or rumored to attempt, to trade him. If I were Butler, and I knew Hightower was resigning, I would stay put. He is missing out. That said, as long as Hightower resigns with the Pats, which it looks as though he will, I am happy.

Fro
March 14th, 2017, 3:43 PM
How do you give a guy with no experience in your organization a huge contract, and not give the guy who if it weren't him and Carroll. You would only have 1 trophy in the last 3 seasons instead of 2?

Bill is such a heartless fuck. Its part of his success, but still.

I don't disagree with you on this one, but then again you wanted Bob Kraft to fire Belichick and trade Brady 3 years ago despite all their successes so you must understand that sometimes you should be heartless if you think it's best for the team.

Fro
March 14th, 2017, 4:26 PM
But yea, Bill is definitely a heartless fuck and assuming Butler gets dealt I can't say I'm happy with how they chose Gilmore over him. I don't want Bill to be sentimental and pay for past achievements (he never does) but football-wise the book on Gilmore is that he's long and athletic (hence being a 1st round pick), good in man coverage but he's not eager to tackle (often lets his teammates handle that) which won't fly under Belichick who values tackling above all. Butler is undersized but always gives maximum effort, is solid in coverage and a hell of a tackler. I would rather keep Butler all things being equal since we know he can play our way. Hopefully Gilmore can be coached into that. Bill must look at him as a high ceiling guy who can develop into a truly elite CB like a Sherman or Talib or Revis to pay him what he did. Butler will probably never be that. Hopefully Bill is right and Gilmore flourishes here, in which case maybe we'll say Bill the genius did it again. Or it could blow up in his face like Adalius Thomas.

Best case scenario here, given where we are now, is that we have a year of Gilmore and Butler together then Butler lands his big contract next offseason, elsewhere. But that's looking less and less likely to happen.

Fro
March 15th, 2017, 2:03 PM
Hightower back :wiggle:

Percussion
March 15th, 2017, 4:10 PM
McShay 2017 Mock Draft 3.0

(spoiler for size)
http://i.imgur.com/RDhxhgQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PSgIfMb.jpg
OJ Howard quite early here, but he could well be a home run kind of TE
Wentz gets another weapon
Deshaun Watson goes to QB purgatory
And while I'd be bummed to not get a OT (Ramczyk, Bolles) in the first, I'd have to pull the trigger on Trubisky in that spot

PurePlayer
March 15th, 2017, 4:18 PM
10 carries a game for a guy that goes 14th? I would be so against the Eagles taking him. If you go running back then Dalvin Cook would be a better bet. I would be in serious shock if the Eagles took McCaffrey

Percussion
March 15th, 2017, 4:31 PM
10 or so carries, plus a few catches, plus the return game. 15-20 touches from an explosive back to mix with Matthews & Sproles?

I'd rather have Cook too, but McCaffrey should be a legit asset to whoever lands him.

Honey_Badger
March 15th, 2017, 4:47 PM
If the Browns don't take Garrett at #1 overall, they're as fucking dumb as they come off to be.

The Bengals should take Corey Davis, not a ILB. They struggled with the passing game last year and their offense took a major step backwards after losing Jones and Sanu. That said, losing 2 pro bowl offensive linemen doesn't help any either, so Dalton needs someone, besides a double covered A.J. Green, to catch a pass. Lafell is trash (Pats knew that 2 years ago) and I couldn't even name their 3rd at this point. They've taken a major step back, and it's sad, considering Marvin should be gone but he continues to be paid while our core players are being let go. Oh wait, no, they kept Dre' and Pacman... that's something. SMH. Get the fuck out, jesus.

PurePlayer
March 15th, 2017, 4:49 PM
10 or so carries, plus a few catches, plus the return game. 15-20 touches from an explosive back to mix with Matthews & Sproles?

I'd rather have Cook too, but McCaffrey should be a legit asset to whoever lands him.

I agree that he would be an asset but 14 seems high for not being a feature back, in my opinion.

Honey_Badger
March 15th, 2017, 4:53 PM
The thing with McCaffery is his character and knowledge of the game. For a player to be the squeaky clean off the field, yet that intelligent on it, plus perform at a high-level with an exceptional amount of talent, it's hard to pass on. He could convert to a slot reciver like a Julian Edelman and be very, very successful. If you had the #14 pick in the NFL Draft and knew you had a Julian Edelman in your sights, would you pass on him? I wouldn't.

Percussion
March 15th, 2017, 5:04 PM
If the Browns don't take Garrett at #1 overall, they're as fucking dumb as they come off to be.

The Bengals should take Corey Davis, not a ILB. They struggled with the passing game last year and their offense took a major step backwards after losing Jones and Sanu. That said, losing 2 pro bowl offensive linemen doesn't help any either, so Dalton needs someone, besides a double covered A.J. Green, to catch a pass. Lafell is trash (Pats knew that 2 years ago) and I couldn't even name their 3rd at this point. They've taken a major step back, and it's sad, considering Marvin should be gone but he continues to be paid while our core players are being let go. Oh wait, no, they kept Dre' and Pacman... that's something. SMH. Get the fuck out, jesus.

I totally get the concern over a position of need, and I won't pretend to have kept up with Bengals transactions. But every team in the league would be some varying degree of regretful for passing on Foster. Honestly feel he's the best overall player in this draft. A fucking sideline to sideline wrecking machine who has Keuchly-level instincts.

Not thinking I'll change your mind or anything, just can't help gushing over how good this kid's gonna be.

Honey_Badger
March 15th, 2017, 5:21 PM
Foster is a stud, and the sort of a player Marvin Lewis will target, and most likely draft. I would have no complaints, as it's a solid option, but the Bengals as an organization are not creating opportunities for success. They let 4 of their core offensive players go in the past 2 years, yet rely on Andy Dalton and A.J. Green to carry the load, which we saw last year, is not feasible. I just think you have to try and bring in another play maker on offense, address your offensive line concerns and then worry about defensive play makers.

If you look back at their last 5 drafts, none have been successful. The last successful draft they had was 2012 where 4 of those picks turned out to be key parts of the team. What do they do? They let 3 of those 4 leave town, then sign the biggest bust of that year to a 55MM dollar contract! Bonehead.

3 of their last 5 first-round picks have been corner backs, who combined have a total of 38 starts and 10 interceptions. Bonehead. That's not even 13 a year on average, or 4 interceptions a year, on average... COMBINED! 9 potential seasons between the 3 corners and only 38 starts... What? That's like the Detroit Lions signing 3 receivers back, to back, to back, and all 3 being failures. If at first you don't succeed, try again... and wait... one more time for the ole' hat trick.

BONEHEADS.

Fro
March 15th, 2017, 9:32 PM
HB: speaking of the Bengals I just watched the 2016 highlight reel for Rex Burkhead (http://www.patriots.com/video/2017/03/15/rex-burkhead-2017-free-agent-highlights?utm_content=buffer2d635&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer) and now I'm pumped to have him here. He'll do some damage in this offense.

Running Backs are getting dick all for contracts this offseason. Peterson, Charles, Blount, Latavius Murray all still out there.

Percussion
March 15th, 2017, 9:38 PM
No good reason to tie up valuable cap space on a tread worn back with a bunch of fresh, inexpensive hands chomping at the bit in the draft.

Honey_Badger
March 15th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Burkhead is a stud. He will fit in perfectly with the Pats. Marvin Lewis had zero idea how to properly utilize him and maximize his ability in their offense. Bellicheck will transform the guy into the next Danny Woodhead. Good catching works.

Again, another bonehead move by the Bengals.

PurePlayer
March 15th, 2017, 11:32 PM
The thing with McCaffery is his character and knowledge of the game. For a player to be the squeaky clean off the field, yet that intelligent on it, plus perform at a high-level with an exceptional amount of talent, it's hard to pass on. He could convert to a slot reciver like a Julian Edelman and be very, very successful. If you had the #14 pick in the NFL Draft and knew you had a Julian Edelman in your sights, would you pass on him? I wouldn't.

If cook is there at 14, I would take him over mccaffery. You compare him to Edelman but I've heard comparisons to bell and David Johnson for cook

Honey_Badger
March 16th, 2017, 5:05 AM
Good point.

TimeSplitter
March 16th, 2017, 7:45 AM
Latavius Murray to the Vikings. Likely ends AP's time here. I'm excited. He looks to have pass catching ability, and blocks. Automatic improvement.

Honey_Badger
March 16th, 2017, 8:00 AM
AP to Oakland, possibly?

son_of_foley
March 16th, 2017, 9:12 AM
Latavius Murray to the Vikings. Likely ends AP's time here. I'm excited. He looks to have pass catching ability, and blocks. Automatic improvement.

Dear TimeSplitter,

I am a fledgling Viking Fan. I will ask you for insight and advice and return to you love and adoration.

Love

Patrick

Pablo Diablo
March 16th, 2017, 9:23 AM
We'd have 3 Vikings fans? Almost as bizarre as the amount of Dolphins fans we have.

son_of_foley
March 16th, 2017, 9:26 AM
I think SOB likes the tv series Vikings as well if that counts for anything

Honey_Badger
March 16th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Vikings suck. Eagles suck (hi Morrison & PP). Dolphins suck (hi Chris Scott).

GO PATS!!!

:)

Fro
March 17th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Marshawn Lynch unretiring to join the Raiders would be cool.

Percussion
March 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Fuck getting excited reading the first seven words of that sentence before getting to the latter three..

Fro
March 17th, 2017, 12:46 PM
well it's gaining traction with sources saying there's a good chance it'll happen. he's from Oakland so that's why he wants to go there, aside from them being a playoff contender in need of a RB. Seattle still owns his rights so they would have to release or trade him.

TimeSplitter
March 17th, 2017, 1:00 PM
seattle will probably get a conditional late round pick.

BigAl
March 17th, 2017, 1:07 PM
I hope he does come back. I'd like to see him be the piece that Oakland needs to make a deep playoff run. Beyond that, he's one of my
all-time favorite players and I don't have an Oakland jersey yet. I'll have to get one if he comes back.

Fro
March 21st, 2017, 12:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fractured-friendship-of-aaron-hernandez-and-a-gangster-played-out-in-bone-chilling-court-scene-012208774.html

Not sure how much national attention it's gotten but Aaron Hernandez is back on trial for double homicide (separate from the murder he was already convicted of) and the above article is a wild story of the lead witness in the case, Hernandez's former best friend who was shot in the face by Hernandez but miraculously survived (sans one eyeball). Chilling stuff, definitely worth a read.

BigAl
March 21st, 2017, 12:41 PM
Yeah I read that this morning. Great article. Bradley is an interesting guy to say the least. What a crazy life these two had together.

Percussion
March 22nd, 2017, 3:38 PM
Kiper 2017 Mock v 3.0

(spoilered for huge)

1.) Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

Garrett to the Browns has been my pick in the other two mocks, and I'm not changing it. His phenomenal combine performance -- a 4.64 40-yard dash, 41-inch vertical and 10-foot-8 broad jump, all at 6-foot-4, 272 pounds -- locked in his status as the best prospect in this class. Cleveland was 30th in the NFL in sacks last season (26), and Garrett is a brilliant, natural pass-rusher who had 32.5 sacks in three seasons for the Aggies. Don't overthink this pick, Browns; take the top overall prospect.

2.) San Francisco 49ers - Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford

After the 49ers signed veterans Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley in free agency, I'm moving away from North Carolina signal-caller Mitch Trubisky here. The urgency for the 49ers to pick a QB isn't as high. They could target a developmental prospect in the second or third round (Patrick Mahomes, maybe?) and let him have a redshirt year in 2017. The reality is that San Francisco has many needs on both sides of the ball. Thomas (6-3, 273) is a different kind of player than the D-linemen the 49ers have taken in the first round the past two years (DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead); he'll get after the quarterback from Day 1.

3.) Chicago Bears - Jamal Adams, S, LSU

This might be a high pick for the traditional version of a safety, but Adams is more than that. He's a true hybrid who never has to come off the field, because he can run and cover but also is a beast as an in-the-box defender. His 4.56 40 at the combine was right in line with what I expected. The Bears targeted the secondary in free agency, signing cornerbacks Prince Amukamara and Marcus Cooper and safety Quintin Demps, and the addition of Adams (6-0, 214) would further boost their defensive backfield.

4.) Jacksonville Jaguars - Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

Jacksonville has put a lot of capital into improving its defensive line -- a No. 3 overall pick on Dante Fowler Jr., (2015) and big-money free-agent contracts to Malik Jackson (2016) and Calais Campbell (2017) -- but Allen is almost too good to pass up at No. 4. In this scenario, Allen (6-3, 286) would probably slot in at tackle next to Jackson, but he could kick outside, too. He's versatile enough to play in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense and rush the passer from the inside or at end. He totaled 22.5 sacks over the past two seasons in Alabama.

5.) Tennessee Titans (from Rams) - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

In Lattimore, the Titans would get the top cornerback in the draft with the first of their two picks in the top 18. Yes, they gave former Patriots corner Logan Ryan $16 million guaranteed in free agency, but they need bodies. Plus, long-time starter Jason McCourty turns 30 in August and is a free agent in 2018, so Tennessee could move on with a ready-made replacement. Lattimore (6-0, 193) is an athletic phenom who doesn't have a ton of experience -- he ran a 4.36 40 and had a 38.5-inch vertical at the combine, but he started just one season for the Buckeyes.

6.) New York Jets - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

If the Jets are really going with Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg at quarterback, they're going to need someone to catch passes to try to score some points. At 6-6, 251 pounds, Howard is my top-ranked pass-catcher, even though he wasn't prolific for the Crimson Tide, with just seven touchdowns in his career. He has all of the athletic attributes of a top-tier player, though, and he was one of the most impressive prospects at the combine. There is precedence for a tight end going this high, too -- Vernon Davis (49ers in 2006) and Kellen Winslow Jr. (Browns in 2004) both went No. 6 overall.

7.) Los Angeles Chargers - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

If Jahleel Addae is the Chargers' in-the-box safety, Hooker (6-1, 206) could be their center fielder. He has incredible range, but like Lattimore, he was a first-year starter for the Buckeyes in 2016. One thing that makes Hooker particularly interesting here is that Los Angeles already has one of the top pass-rushers in the NFL in fellow Buckeyes alum Joey Bosa. Hooker is the type of player who can help a great pass rush produce points going the other way on errant throws.

8.) Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

Jonathan Stewart is 30. Fozzy Whittaker is a part-time back at best. Cameron Artis-Payne hasn't shown much in two seasons. Why not take the draft's best back and put him in the backfield with Cam Newton? He's a special athlete with an incredible combination of size (6-0, 240), speed and power. Fournette can produce from Day 1 in the NFL, and that Carolina offense would become even more scary.

9.) Cincinnati Bengals - Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA

The addition of free-agent middle linebacker Kevin Minter makes me think the Bengals won't take Reuben Foster, whom I had going to Cincinnati in Mock Draft 2.0. Pass-rusher is still in play, though, and McKinley is one of the most explosive in this class. At 6-2, 250, he's not huge, but he is suited to play end in today's NFL. Put McKinley in the rotation with Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and Will Clarke, and the Bengals have a stellar foursome.

10.) Buffalo Bills - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

After losing Robert Woods to the Rams in free agency, the Bills have a clear need at receiver. And if Williams falls to No. 10, Buffalo would be getting a guy with a much high ceiling than Woods, not to mention another Clemson wideout to go alongside Sammy Watkins. Williams' pro day moved him back to being my top-ranked receiver. His 40-yard dash was the question, and he ran right around 4.50, which is what he needed. Production wasn't the issue -- Williams (6-4, 218) had 98 catches for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns. Quarterback could still be in play here, too, with the Bills committing to Tyrod Taylor with limited guaranteed money.

11.) New Orleans Saints - Haason Reddick, LB, Temple

No prospect has risen as much during the pre-draft process as Reddick has. He was fantastic at the Senior Bowl, and he was one of the MVPs of the combine, with a 4.52 40, 36.5-inch vertical and 11-foot-1 broad jump. Reddick's value is in his versatility -- he could play inside or outside in a 4-3 or 3-4, with his hand in the dirt or playing on his feet in space. The Saints have made an effort to improve their 31st-ranked defense in free agency, re-signing Nick Fairley and bringing in A.J. Klein, Manti Te'o and Alex Okafor, and Reddick (6-1, 237) would probably play outside in New Orleans' 4-3.

12.) Cleveland Browns (from Eagles) - Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

This might be the ideal situation for the Browns, getting the top overall prospect at No. 1 (Garrett) and the top quarterback at No. 12. This is assuming they don't use draft capital to trade for Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo, who could still be available if the price is right. Trubisky (6-2, 222), who went to high school in Northeast Ohio and is a Cleveland sports fan, completed 68.2 percent of his passes and had 30 touchdown passes and six interceptions in his first season as a starter. The potential is there, but he's green. Trubisky could compete with Cody Kessler and give the Browns some hope for the future.

13.) Arizona Cardinals - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Arizona needs a quarterback of the future, and this is a sneaky spot to grab one -- if he's still around. Carson Palmer, 37, showed his age last season, and backup Drew Stanton hasn't proved he's a starting-caliber QB. So now Bruce Arians, who's a brilliant offensive mind, would get Palmer's heir apparent in Watson, who flashes top-five-pick talent at times but was inconsistent in 2016. At 6-2, 221, Watson has the arm strength, toughness and athleticism to play for a long time. He could back up Palmer in the short term while he adjusts gradually to the NFL. Keep an eye on the secondary here, too; the Cardinals lost their two starting safeties plus a corner in free agency.

14.) Philadelphia Eagles (from Vikings) - Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State

The Eagles are in a good spot to get their pick of one of the best cornerbacks in a deep class. Several will be on the board at No. 14 with a potential run on pass-rushers at the top of the first round. Conley, the third member of the Ohio State secondary to be picked so far, is rising after the combine, where he ran a 4.44 40 with a 37.5-inch vertical at 6-0, 195. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz needs a new No. 1 corner, and this is a great fit.

15.) Indianapolis Colts - Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Let's be clear here: I don't have Foster, a top-five talent, dropping because of his bizarre combine ejection. He's dropping here because not many teams above the Colts at No. 15 need a true inside linebacker. The Bengals and Saints, for instance, have both signed inside linebackers in free agency. Whichever team takes Foster, though, is getting a big-time, sideline-to-sideline defender with All-Pro potential. Indianapolis has done a solid job of upgrading its roster this offseason, and picking Foster (6-0, 229) is another step toward defensive respectability.

16.) Baltimore Ravens - Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

This is a strange year for offensive tackles -- there are no top-five-type talents in this class. This is about the range where I expect the first tackle to go. Ramczyk, Cam Robinson and Garett Bolles are all on the board, but I'm going with Ramczyk, who's a better prospect at right tackle. Baltimore has Ronnie Stanley, the No. 6 overall pick in 2016, on the left side, and Ramczyk (6-6, 310) would upgrade the right side over former undrafted free agent James Hurst.

17.) Washington Redskins - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

Like I mentioned in Mock Draft 2.0: At what point should a team forget about what's conventional and just take the best football player? That's the value in McCaffrey here. The Redskins like Rob Kelley, but McCaffrey brings a different element to the offense as a runner and receiver, and he can be a return man, too. McCaffrey's 4.48 40 and 37.5-inch vertical at the combine eliminated any doubts about his athleticism.

18.) Tennessee Titans - John Ross, WR, Washington

Don't you think Marcus Mariota would be elated with this pick? He'd get a true field-stretcher in Ross, whose 4.22 40 broke the combine record. That's something the Titans' offense sorely lacks. Ross (5-11, 188) produces, too -- he had 81 catches for 1,150 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. Tennessee has drafted a good, young core on offense, and it could also target a cornerback or linebacker here and with the No. 5 overall pick.

19.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

This pick stays the same as Mock Draft 2.0 -- it makes too much sense. Vincent Jackson is gone, and there's an opening opposite Mike Evans. Davis, who had 331 catches for 5,278 yards and 52 touchdowns in his collegiate career, would give Jameis Winston a fantastic second option. The only issue with Davis (6-3, 209) is an ankle issue that kept him out of the combine, and he might not run a 40 before the draft, so scouts won't have a true number. I don't expect him to drop out of the first round, though.

20.) Denver Broncos - David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)

Njoku can no longer be considered a sleeper after posting a 4.64 40, 37.5-inch vertical and 11-foot-1 broad jump at the combine. He has the size (6-4, 246) and athleticism to run past and jump over defenders. He will be a weapon in the NFL. Experience is a question -- he's a third-year sophomore who only put it all together down the stretch of the Hurricanes' 2016 season -- but he has a high ceiling. This is another spot in which an offensive tackle could go.

21.) Detroit Lions - Charles Harris, DE, Missouri

Pass-rusher and cornerback are the two biggest needs for the Lions, and you can take your pick from a deep class at both positions. Harris (6-3, 253) would give Detroit's D-line a boost -- the Lions had only 26 sacks last season, which ranked 30th in the league. He would play end in Detroit's 4-3, but he could move inside and rush the passer when needed. Harris had nine sacks and two forced fumbles in 2016.

22.) Miami Dolphins - Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky

Laremy Tunsil's expected move to left tackle leaves an opening at guard, and Lamp is the best guard in the draft. He could also move over to right tackle or slide in to center, and his versatility is a plus. Though Lamp (6-4, 309) played in Conference USA, he has the traits to step in and play immediately next season. Miami could also be in play for a linebacker, even with Kiko Alonso locked into a new deal. Florida's Jarrad Davis makes some sense.

23.) New York Giants - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

The Giants' 2007 and 2011 Super Bowl teams featured a fearsome pass-rushing rotation, and this would be an attempt to build out that rotation again. Jason Pierre-Paul and Olivier Vernon are entrenched as starters -- and they have the big-money deals to show for it -- but they played too many snaps last season. Vernon had more than 1,000, and Pierre-Paul was on his way before a groin injury ended his season in December. Barnett had 33 sacks in three seasons for the Volunteers, and he's an all-around 4-3 end at 6-3, 259 pounds.

24.) Oakland Raiders - Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

D.J. Hayden was a miss at No. 12 overall in 2013, and now the Raiders will be looking for cornerback help on Day 1 or Day 2. Enter White, who has what many of the corner prospects above him don't: experience. A four-year starter for the Tigers, White (5-11,192) could have been a Day 3 pick a year ago but made the right decision to return to school. The Raiders think they're Super Bowl contenders, but corner is a gaping hole headed into 2017.

25.) Houston Texans - Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

The Texans could be in play for a quarterback here after trading away Brock Osweiler, though Tony Romo could find his way to Houston soon if he gets his release from the Cowboys. For now I'm sticking with Robinson at No. 25, even if he'll have no idea whom he's blocking for. Robinson (6-6, 322) has been a known commodity for the Crimson Tide, for whom he was a three-year starter, but he isn't a lock to play left tackle. He's a powerful run-blocker who needs to clean up some things to reach his potential as a pass-blocker.

26.) Seattle Seahawks - Kevin King, CB, Washington

Before Sidney Jones' Achilles' injury at the Washington pro day last week, the Huskies had a realistic chance of having two corners taken in the first round of the draft. King (6-3, 200) is a lanky, rangy defender who fits the Seattle mold of bigger defensive backs, and he knows his way around the city. In a great class of cornerbacks, he stands out for his size but can also move, as the 4.43 40 at the combine showed. The Seahawks could be in the market for an offensive tackle on Days 1 and 2 as well.

27.) Kansas City Chiefs - Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina

Jeremy Maclin had a down season in 2016, and the Chiefs' top pass-catchers were tight end Travis Kelce and rookie fifth-round pick Tyreek Hill, who's not a true No. 1 wideout. Jones has moved up my board considerably thanks to his performances at the Senior Bowl and combine, where he ran a 4.45 40 and had a 36.5-inch vertical. At 6-2, 201 pounds, he put up huge numbers for the Pirates last season with 158 catches for 1,746 yards and eight touchdowns. Adding Jones would help open up the Chiefs' offense and give Alex Smith a reliable, productive target.

28.) Dallas Cowboys - Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

Wouldn't this be a Jerry Jones type of pick? Peppers is one of the most well-known prospects in this class, but he's a tweener (5-11, 213) who's polarizing to NFL scouts. The team that drafts him will have to get creative and use him as a hybrid safety who can play the run and cover tight ends. Peppers could also be a great return man. He's a tremendous athlete (4.46 40, 35.5-inch vertical). And Dallas' secondary has been depleted in free agency -- Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox are all gone.

29.) Green Bay Packers - Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Cook's stock is dropping a little bit. He didn't test amazingly at the combine, a couple of shoulder injuries at FSU have worried teams and not many teams in the first round need running backs. But falling to Green Bay here would be considered a great value pick. Green Bay needs a back and will take one at some point -- converted receiver Ty Montgomery is really all it has now -- and Cook (5-10, 210) is one of the best home run hitters out there. Cook gives Aaron Rodgers and the offense some help in the passing game, too.

I came close to giving Green Bay another player here: Oklahoma's Joe Mixon, who is surging up draft boards and might be the most talented back in the entire class. Mixon has notable off-field issues, and some teams will take him off their boards because of that, but I expect him to be picked by end of the second round.

30.) Pittsburgh Steelers - Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston

You might remember Bowser from the time he got in a fight with a teammate and broke an orbital bone the day before a game, but he has made a name for himself from his play on the field, too. He had 8.5 sacks and 12 tackles for loss for the Cougars in only eight games last season. Bowser (6-3, 247) is perfect for a 3-4 team like the Steelers, and he is rising up draft boards after testing incredibly well at the combine with a 4.65 40 and 37.5-inch vertical. Pittsburgh brought back James Harrison, who at 38 could be a mentor to Bowser.

31.) Atlanta Falcons - Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Charlton falls to Atlanta here in this projection because a 4.92 40 at 6-6, 277 at the combine was concerning. He's still a first-round talent, however, and I suspect the Falcons would be thrilled to put him on the other side of Vic Beasley Jr., who broke out with 15.5 sacks last season, and let him get after quarterbacks. Charlton has long arms (34¼ inches) and active hands and takes ideal angles when rushing the passer.

32.) New Orleans Saints (from Patriots) - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

The Saints are trying to pry away restricted free-agent corner Malcolm Butler from the Patriots, but until they do, the position is a weak spot on a defense that gave up the most passing yards per game (273.8) last season. Humphrey (6-0 197) has length, strength, speed and good bloodlines (his father is former NFL running back Bobby Humphrey). I had Haason Reddick going to the Saints with their other first-round pick, and I suspect they'd be happy with two defenders who could step in and play on Day 1
I don't particularly give a rip for Kiper, but some might and it doesn't hurt for convo sake.

And I'd much prefer Mahomes or Bolles here for the Texans. So, eh.

PurePlayer
March 22nd, 2017, 3:44 PM
I just find it interesting how some guys have someone in the top 10 but others have them in the late 20s. Out of curiosity, how close to these mocks end up to the real draft. Has there been any research on that?

Percussion
March 22nd, 2017, 3:58 PM
I just find it interesting how some guys have someone in the top 10 but others have them in the late 20s. Out of curiosity, how close to these mocks end up to the real draft. Has there been any research on that?

- This is by and large because a mock draft is different from a big board. Not all the talent is going to fall in the order of their overall rank depending on team needs and whatnot.

- The accuracy is usually pretty reasonable for about the first 8-10 picks year after year. Accuracy falls after this for the obvious reasons of earlier picks not falling in line and mucking things up from there on out, and simply finding it harder to gauge what better teams of less specific needs may find more value.

CBS tracked a number of popular mocks in 2015 and this is what they found ... 2015 NFL Draft: How accurate were the mock drafts this year? (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25170224/nfl-draft-how-accurate-were-the-mock-drafts-this-year)

Also, they're not intended to be a real time inside info on what teams are intending to do on draft day, but more a ballpark look at where guys might go depending on team needs, work outs, and general draft fall out. And they're also supposed to be just some fun offseason junk to blabber on about. Cause the offseason.

Kneeneighbor
March 23rd, 2017, 9:34 PM
Bears Fan: "Our team can't do any worse than Jay Cuttler."

Bears GM: "Here, hold my beer."

hithit
March 23rd, 2017, 9:55 PM
If Cook falls to GB I would be beyond elated. He's just the type of back GB needs.

Percussion
March 27th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Deshaun Watson, Mitchell Trubisky top QBs in 2017 NFL draft, according to poll of NFL general managers (http://gridironnow.com/poll-of-nfl-gms-favors-deshaun-watson-mitchell-trubisky-among-draft-eligible-qbs/)

Clemson’s Deshaun Watson and North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky are the top quarterbacks in the 2017 NFL draft, according to a survey conducted by NFL.com‘s Charley Casserly.

Casserly, a former NFL general manager, polled 22 teams and confirmed that nine favored Watson while eight picked North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky.

Two teams favored Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes and three were undecided. Zero teams favored Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer.

Could amount to absolutely nothing, but hope this signals a slide for Mahomes to 25.

Bandit
March 27th, 2017, 10:12 PM
If Cook falls to GB I would be beyond elated. He's just the type of back GB needs.

I don't think Thompson would draft Cook in the 1st round. There are some positions that he just simply doesn't value. RB is one of them.

Judging by history, his 1st pick will likely be what he perceives to be the best player available that can do one of the following: rush the passer, cover opposing receivers, protect #12.

My money is on an OLB.

BigAl
March 28th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Raiders move to Vegas approved by a 31-1 vote with Miami being the sole "no" vote. Looks like the team has set a prospective move date of 2019 but that's dependent on them building a new stadium by then.

Fro
March 28th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Happy 3/28 everyone!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8A1slXWkAA8imn.jpg

It's also rule change season. Looks like regular season overtime will be shortened from 15 minutes to 10 which I'm on board with. If this results in an extra tie once in a while, that's cool. Ties in the NFL are underrated, there's nothing wrong them them. I've said it before but I think OT rules for the regular season are perfect (regardless of 10 vs 15 minutes), I would only tweak it so in the postseason both teams get a possession no matter what. But that's a minor complaint and the current rule worked out well for my team last month.

The rule proposal I love which will probably fail is when you kick it through the uprights on a kick off your opponent gets the ball on the 20 instead of the 25. That's very XFL-like but I would enjoy it. Then again it would come into play a lot more in high altitude stadiums and arenas where the ball flies so maybe it's too slanted towards certain locations. Alternatively, I would be in favor of them reverting back to the 20 yard line all the time instead of 25 which could happen.

They're likely making it illegal for you to leap the line of scrimmage and block a FG/extra point kick. Sad!

And they are hopefully improving the replay/challenge system to make it centrally dictated by Dean Blandino which should speed up the process. Cool.

None of these have been voted on yet but we'll see what gets approved within in the next few days.

BigAl
March 28th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Isn't it already a penalty to leap the line of scrimmage, or is that just if you make contact with somebody on the way over? Apparently this rule proposal came from the players' union.

Competition committee is also looking to make it an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty for multiple fouls on the same down in an attempt to manipulate the clock. Call it the Harbaugh Loophole.

Honey_Badger
March 28th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Happy 3/28 everyone!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8A1slXWkAA8imn.jpg

Ha! I love it.

Chris Scott
March 28th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Raiders move to Vegas approved by a 31-1 vote with Miami being the sole "no" vote. Looks like the team has set a prospective move date of 2019 but that's dependent on them building a new stadium by then.

Glad it was Ross who said no, were never leaving Miami and thank god. Feel for those loyal Raiders fans.

Chris Scott
March 28th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Very proud of our owner being the only one with the guts to vote no and not giving into greed when we could have moved.

Beefy
March 28th, 2017, 1:30 PM
That's a bit harsh. I think there's more to the move than greed.

Percussion
March 28th, 2017, 1:31 PM
Like not wanting to play in the Coliseum any longer?

Kneeneighbor
March 28th, 2017, 1:47 PM
Yeah, they desperately need a new stadium, you know, one that doesn't leak sewage into the locker room.

Beefy
March 28th, 2017, 2:02 PM
Exactly. They were going to need to leave there at some point.

I've said before but I think if they were going to leave then Vegas is a perfect landing spot.

Kdestiny
March 28th, 2017, 2:44 PM
Exactly. They were going to need to leave there at some point.

I've said before but I think if they were going to leave then Vegas is a perfect landing spot.

Also, I think Vegas deserves a pro team. It's the perfect market for it really. Could really pay off for them.

Kneeneighbor
March 28th, 2017, 2:52 PM
The Vegas market is great for the NFL. I'm not as sold on NHL though.

For the NFL they only have to fill 8 games. They are going to get a lot of people who will travel in for a long weekend to watch their team play the Raiders. They will also get a substantial amount of money from casinos in town who are buying suites and season tickets and comping them out or including them in travel packages. They Raiders may not have a great home field crowd but money wise they will do well for them selves.

Chris Scott
March 28th, 2017, 3:05 PM
That's a bit harsh. I think there's more to the move than greed.

Our owner Ross used his own money think it was $30m to do our stadium up because it needed it, Miami Dade county gave us nothing and probably weren't arsed if we left. To me he choose fans over money.

The city won't put up anymore money, but why should they and taxpayers fund a rich guys plaything? Davis really needs to sell up, but like his dad he's all about retaining the family business.

It's a great shame for the Oakland fans to go through this again, and I an concerned about the fanbase going forward despite the teams country wide support. And Vegas...ugh. In the long run in my opinion it will be a disaster.

BigAl
March 28th, 2017, 3:11 PM
The Vegas market is great for the NFL. I'm not as sold on NHL though.

For the NFL they only have to fill 8 games. They are going to get a lot of people who will travel in for a long weekend to watch their team play the Raiders. They will also get a substantial amount of money from casinos in town who are buying suites and season tickets and comping them out or including them in travel packages. They Raiders may not have a great home field crowd but money wise they will do well for them selves.

I don't think it'll turn out well at all. Maybe the first couple seasons before the novelty wears off. I don't see them getting a lot of people planning trips to see their favorite teams. I get that Vegas is a destination all its own but I don't see that appeal transferring to the Raiders there. Sure, if people happen to be in Vegas and want to see a game and can find tickets that aren't as overpriced as everything else in town maybe they'll go. But I don't see enough fans planning 3 day weekends for the 8 home games a year to make a difference.

Your point about the casinos snapping up tickets and comping them makes sense. That might come around to hurt the team in the long run though.

Kneeneighbor
March 28th, 2017, 3:16 PM
Well all the NFC teams get there once every 8 years. I will go every time the Packers are there.

They get two of those games a year.

BigAl
March 28th, 2017, 3:21 PM
Vegas isn't cheap and, assuming your theory is correct, this will only jack the prices up on the hotels for 16 Sundays a year in the fall and winter. I imagine that will be a big deterrent to people. Airfare, hotel, food, plus tickets is going to be expensive. I was in Vegas last year and the only reason we could afford to stay on the strip was because my father-in-law let us use his timeshare.

Bandit
March 28th, 2017, 4:49 PM
I would bet money that Raiders games sell out every time they play at home from now on regardless of who's playing and regardless of how good/bad the Raiders are.

Fro
March 28th, 2017, 5:47 PM
Well I'd take that bet since they aren't even moving to Las Vegas for 2 or 3 years. It'll be an interesting dynamic in Oakland with the team moving but not yet moved. They're contenders at least. Maybe they can get a title before they leave.

Kneeneighbor
March 28th, 2017, 7:02 PM
Vegas isn't cheap and, assuming your theory is correct, this will only jack the prices up on the hotels for 16 Sundays a year in the fall and winter. I imagine that will be a big deterrent to people. Airfare, hotel, food, plus tickets is going to be expensive. I was in Vegas last year and the only reason we could afford to stay on the strip was because my father-in-law let us use his timeshare.

Vegas can be as cheap or expensive as you make it. I have stayed at the Stratosphere for $45 or Downtown at what was Fitzgerald's for $30. I regularly get emails from Luxor, New York New York and Excalibur for a $39 hotel room. I just checked flights going in on Sat Nov 4th and leaving Tuesday Nov 7 and it was $220 round trip on Sun Country.

Those prices may go up a little but again its not 16 Sundays its 8. And Vegas is already a destination on Sundays in the fall as people enjoy wagering on NFL.

Beefy
March 28th, 2017, 7:55 PM
Vegas hotels are ludicrously cheap. Even the upmarket ones like the Wynn or the Mandarin Oriental are a fraction of the price of similar standard of room in LA, Paris, London, New York or any other tourist attraction city. I've six nights in the strip next week for hardly anything.

Now if you want to buy a mojito then you're talking serious money but hotels are more than reasonable. I'll probably go if and when the Giants play there.

Mr. Boombastic
March 28th, 2017, 11:20 PM
I know that I am in a distinct minority here, but long term I think the NFL screwing over 3 fan bases in 15 months to move 2 teams to LA where they had trouble supporting one team this past year, even with the new novelty with not having a team for 20 years and putting a team in a gimmick city like Las Vegas is a good short term money move, I feel like this is terrible for the NFL's long term growth.

Couple this with putting the Jags in London in a few years which seems inevitable, I think the NFL is making some very short sited moves that will hurt the shield down the road.

Goodell=Trump, with a slightly better PR team.

Percussion
March 28th, 2017, 11:59 PM
They're not putting the Jags, or anyone else, in London in a few years.

Bandit
March 29th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Well I'd take that bet since they aren't even moving to Las Vegas for 2 or 3 years. It'll be an interesting dynamic in Oakland with the team moving but not yet moved. They're contenders at least. Maybe they can get a title before they leave.

Oh yeah, oops. I meant beginning when they play in Vegas, not "now on."

son_of_foley
March 29th, 2017, 4:37 AM
I know that I am in a distinct minority here, but long term I think the NFL screwing over 3 fan bases in 15 months to move 2 teams to LA where they had trouble supporting one team this past year, even with the new novelty with not having a team for 20 years and putting a team in a gimmick city like Las Vegas is a good short term money move, I feel like this is terrible for the NFL's long term growth.

Couple this with putting the Jags in London in a few years which seems inevitable, I think the NFL is making some very short sited moves that will hurt the shield down the road.

Goodell=Trump, with a slightly better PR team.

I assumed there would be an expansion in a few years that might even get a Mexico City team as well as London

MMH
March 29th, 2017, 6:42 AM
I am massively against a London franchise. I think its a ridiculous idea.

Beefy
March 29th, 2017, 7:23 AM
It won't happen so wouldn't be worth worrying about.

Honey_Badger
March 29th, 2017, 8:02 AM
Las Vegas Raiders. I like the ring of it. If they keep building around the foundation they've already created, I could see them bringing a title to Las Vegas pretty quick.

Kneeneighbor
March 29th, 2017, 10:01 AM
I assumed there would be an expansion in a few years that might even get a Mexico City team as well as London

I would be surprised if they expand any time in the near future. 32 is an excellent number for scheduling and divisions. If they add one they almost have to add a second. 34 would be a bit of a mess.

I also think that even though we had a flurry of movement the past few years that teams are done moving for a while. The only ones I could see considering it in the next 10 to 15 years would be Jacksonville and Buffalo. Virtually all the other teams have newer stadiums or have just put major money into fixing their older one.

Chris Scott
March 29th, 2017, 6:40 PM
I am massively against a London franchise. I think its a ridiculous idea.

Me too and hope it never ever happens.

Jordo
April 4th, 2017, 7:47 AM
Tony Romo has decided to retire and go into broadcasting

Fro
April 4th, 2017, 8:01 AM
Too bad, the league could sure use another competent starting QB. I wanted to see him in the AFC playoffs this year. But good for him, it's probably the right decision.

Percussion
April 4th, 2017, 8:26 AM
Pretty bummed. Was hoping to roll the dice on his flimsy health while drafting/grooming a youngster (Trubisky, Mahomes, Peterman, Kelly) in the meantime. Ah well.

Fro
April 4th, 2017, 8:41 AM
Tony Romo has the third-highest passer rating in NFL history (min. 3000 attempts) behind Rodgers and Brady.

Honey_Badger
April 4th, 2017, 8:49 AM
Tony Romo is now an emergency back-up QB for any and all teams should they lose a starting QB, see Derek Carr, late into a playoff season.

Fro
April 4th, 2017, 8:51 AM
I doubt he will come out of retirement but teams will certainly inquire.

I mean, there are playoff caliber teams who want him now so what would spark him to change his mind mid-season?

Honey_Badger
April 4th, 2017, 9:55 AM
We have no idea the offers on the table for Romo from those playoff caliber teams. In a situation where a starter goes down, Romo now holds the cards and it's his hand to deal. Out of curiosity, what teams that are current playoff teams want him now?

Fro
April 4th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Texans, Broncos.

I just don't see a situation coming about that's better than being the QB for one of those teams. Football isn't like baseball where you can pull a Roger Clemens and decide to play the 2nd half of the season because you're old. I mean, you can, but learning a new playbook and developing chemistry with your receivers and offensive line mid season would be a tall task and would make him even more prone to injury IMO. If he wants to compete for a super bowl he should sign now.

The exception would be if Dak gets hurt. In that scenario I could see him returning.

BigAl
April 4th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Dumb question, but did the Cowboys cut him? I don't remember reading about it but that's not saying much. If they didn't cut him and he retired, wouldn't they retain his rights?

son_of_foley
April 4th, 2017, 10:22 AM
How long would you retain the rights for in these scenarios?

BigAl
April 4th, 2017, 10:25 AM
I think for a long while, to avoid players "retiring" to get out of contracts whenever they see fit. Take Lynch, for example. He's been gone for a season and, with the rumors of his possible comeback, there have been discussions about what the Raiders would have to give up to get him from Seattle.

Fro
April 4th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Dumb question, but did the Cowboys cut him? I don't remember reading about it but that's not saying much. If they didn't cut him and he retired, wouldn't they retain his rights?

They have not cut him yet but are expected to soon. It's a confusing situation because if he's retiring no matter what then I don't think they need to cut him. But in either event (whether they cut him or he files his retirement paperwork and they put him on the retired list) I think they have the same dead cap hit.

Fro
April 4th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Actually I just saw this tweet:

If not cut, timing of "official" retirement also would matter for cap purposes. Transaction after June 1 = spread cap hit over 2 years.

They can cut him now but designate him as a post June 1 release which would spread the cap hit. That makes the most sense since Romo probably won't wait until June 1 to retire.

Fro
April 4th, 2017, 11:22 AM
CBS has replaced Phil Simms with Tony Romo as their top color commentary guy for NFL broadcasts. He will be paired with Jim Nantz in the booth.

There were rumors about this but I didn't think they'd hand him the gig immediately. That's an impressive job to land and now I'm even more certain his retirement is permanent.

I will miss Simms just because he was a staple of my sundays but I love the move. Simms came off pretty dumb a lot of the time. But I'd still like to see him retained by CBS and just pushed down to the second broadcast team.

BigAl
April 4th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I've never heard any of Romo's commentary. Hopefully he'll do well.

Honey_Badger
April 4th, 2017, 11:36 AM
WOW. What a job offer, incredible.

Mr. Boombastic
April 4th, 2017, 9:12 PM
Phil Simms is awful, a lot of people give Joe Buck crap, but Phil Simms is nearly as loathesome. Good for Romo.

The Law
April 5th, 2017, 11:23 AM
This really does have a huge impact on this coming season, if Romo had signed with either the Texans or Broncos you'd have to see them as big players in the coming season and now it's hard to see either being contenders.

Dude had an amazing career. Not Hall of Fame worthy, but was one of the best QBs in the NFL for nearly 10 years. Got a lot of shit he didn't deserve because the Cowboys never won a Super Bowl while he was their quarterback.

Fro
April 5th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Agreed that he shouldn't make the HOF but I would say Romo was a hall of fame talent whose career was bogged down by injuries and some inopportune "chokes" in big games.

Fro
April 5th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Has Richard Sherman worn out his welcome in Seattle? It would be shocking to see him traded but the Seahawks GM says the trade talks are real. Strange situation. I can understand why they aren't happy his outbursts on the sidelines and publicly challenging both his defensive and offensive coaches on their playcalling.

He's a punk but I'd take him in New England I suppose. :chin:

BigAl
April 5th, 2017, 12:42 PM
I'd take him in Indy in a heartbeat, wearing out his welcome or not. While I don't necessarily like him questioning his coach's playcalling, you have to take the good with the bad for Sherman.

BigAl
April 5th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Agreed that he shouldn't make the HOF but I would say Romo was a hall of fame talent whose career was bogged down by injuries and some inopportune "chokes" in big games.

IF he does make it to the HOF, which he shouldn't, I'd like to see him get in before TO just to see TO's meltdown.

Pipkin
April 5th, 2017, 12:52 PM
The Sherman stuff is so stupid. I don't know why the front office insists on making this a story when it doesn't have to be. If they want him gone, then get him out. I don't think they do though, he's the only reliable cornerback they have left on a team whose strength is its defense, which is build from the back forward. Even if they do move him, what are they getting back? Seriously, who is giving a haul of picks or talent for a guy who's been such a headache? Is it worth getting one of a handful of troublemakers out of the locker room and potentially costing yourself a shot at another Super Bowl for a 3rd round pick? Just shut up and handle it behind closed doors.

They seem to be trying to embarrass Sherm the way he embarrassed the coaching staff with his tantrums last year, which I find very distasteful.

The Law
April 5th, 2017, 12:59 PM
The thing with QBs is so much of it is tied to team success. I don't think there's a lot of question Eli Manning is going to get in, but is he better than Romo or is it just that he won Super Bowls? And if you did a time warp and put Romo on the 90s Cowboys teams instead of Troy Aikman, I think they would have similarly been a dynasty and won multiple Super Bowls.

Pipkin
April 5th, 2017, 2:01 PM
I hadn't thought about it in these terms before but I was at Romo's last game. I watched his career end in person at my first NFL game. It was such a long and winding road from there to here that I hadn't even connected the two events in my head yet. I hope somebody comes calling during the season and he goes though. I'm not a Romo or Cowboys fan or anything, but I like watching the guy play Quarterback. I was disappointed when he got hurt because I wanted to see him play. I told my buddies that I thought we were going to see two playoff teams for the first quarter, then I think I might have backtracked on that statement when Dak came in. After watching him play I told the Cowboys fans sitting next to us that I thought Dak looked good and I thought they'd be fine until Romo got back, but I figured it'd be a 3-4 weeks.

Fro
April 5th, 2017, 7:22 PM
The Sherman stuff is so stupid. I don't know why the front office insists on making this a story when it doesn't have to be. If they want him gone, then get him out. I don't think they do though, he's the only reliable cornerback they have left on a team whose strength is its defense, which is build from the back forward. Even if they do move him, what are they getting back? Seriously, who is giving a haul of picks or talent for a guy who's been such a headache? Is it worth getting one of a handful of troublemakers out of the locker room and potentially costing yourself a shot at another Super Bowl for a 3rd round pick? Just shut up and handle it behind closed doors.

They seem to be trying to embarrass Sherm the way he embarrassed the coaching staff with his tantrums last year, which I find very distasteful.

I think they'd get more than a 3rd round pick (possibly a 1st) but I'd still not move him. Like you said it could cost them a SB since he's so good at such an important position. I don't think they're trying to embarrass him necessarily, just send a message that no one player is bigger than the system (as a reaction to his behavior). But agreed that it's a bad move to air it out like this publicly.

The thing with QBs is so much of it is tied to team success. I don't think there's a lot of question Eli Manning is going to get in, but is he better than Romo or is it just that he won Super Bowls? And if you did a time warp and put Romo on the 90s Cowboys teams instead of Troy Aikman, I think they would have similarly been a dynasty and won multiple Super Bowls.

Agreed. I mean, Eli Manning has a worse career passer rating than Jay Cutler but he has rings and durability.

Torn
April 5th, 2017, 7:38 PM
Selfishly I am delighted that I won't have to watch Romo play in another team's uniform. He is my NFL hero. He carried some bad Cowboys teams on his back and was an absolute joy to watch. So pleased he was able to have that 2014 season even if he never got the ring he deserved. Can't wait to hear his commentary, he is a very charismatic guy and clearly has an incredible mind for the sport.

I hadn't thought about it in these terms before but I was at Romo's last game. I watched his career end in person at my first NFL game. It was such a long and winding road from there to here that I hadn't even connected the two events in my head yet. I hope somebody comes calling during the season and he goes though. I'm not a Romo or Cowboys fan or anything, but I like watching the guy play Quarterback. I was disappointed when he got hurt because I wanted to see him play. I told my buddies that I thought we were going to see two playoff teams for the first quarter, then I think I might have backtracked on that statement when Dak came in. After watching him play I told the Cowboys fans sitting next to us that I thought Dak looked good and I thought they'd be fine until Romo got back, but I figured it'd be a 3-4 weeks.

I assume you are talking about the Seahawks pre-season game he got hurt in? He played his last game in Week 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEeMM1Zcpb0

Mr. Boombastic
April 5th, 2017, 7:46 PM
I'm not sure whether or not Eli would make the Hall of Fame, but he absolutely should not be, at least with his current body of work. He is basically a slightly above average qb, at best, who had two good postseasons. Even the Super Bowls it is not like he carried them in the playoffs it was more the D line than anything.

Romo is not a Hall of Famer either, but I would put him in over Eli

Judas Iscariot
April 5th, 2017, 7:48 PM
It's impossible to deny that especially for an undrafted free agent, Romo was pretty Damn good and made me mad.

But let's face it he's probably going to get laryngitis announcing a big game. He just has a knack for that sort of thing.

Tyson
April 5th, 2017, 9:12 PM
It's impossible to deny that especially for an undrafted free agent, Romo was pretty Damn good and made me mad.

Romo was good but isn't HOF material; FTR, I had totally forgot that he was undrafted.

Eli gets in the HOF.

EDIT: I just checked Eli's career numbers, had no idea how good they are. Very impressive...

Honey_Badger
April 5th, 2017, 9:22 PM
Eli is a HOF QB and after he wins the NFC title this year, which I believe they will, he will all but solidify his case.

Fro
April 5th, 2017, 9:34 PM
EDIT: I just checked Eli's career numbers, had no idea how good they are. Very impressive...

Eli's only impressive number is 199 consecutive starts. Otherwise his numbers are below average for his era.

Tyson
April 5th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Eli's only impressive number is 199 consecutive starts. Otherwise his numbers are below average for his era.

Sarcasm, I hope? I realize your lips are firmly planted to Brady's ass, but that is one Mark Hammer/DVDA "US Politics" shit-level take there.

I'm not a huge Eli guy, but I can definitely respect what he's done: 7th all-time in TDs, 8th all-time in passing yards, 2 Super Bowls...below average, my ass... :wtf:

Fro
April 5th, 2017, 10:50 PM
Sarcasm, I hope? I realize your lips are firmly planted to Brady's ass, but that is one Mark Hammer/DVDA "US Politics" shit-level take there.

I'm not a huge Eli guy, but I can definitely respect what he's done: 7th all-time in TDs, 8th all-time in passing yards, 2 Super Bowls...below average, my ass... :wtf:

He has 2 rings which is very impressive and I respect him for that, especially doing it both times against the dynasty of his time. But that aside, he is top 10 in those all-time stat categories because of his # of starts and the passing era he played in, not because he was an above average QB. Hell, Carson Palmer will probably move into the top 10 in touchdown passes this year (needs 15 more). Much like when baseball numbers became inflated due to steroids, his all-time stats are inflated and soon enough the top 10 of those lists will be filled with modern QBs. But like I said, 199 consecutive starts is no small feat.

His career stats are remarkably similar to Jay Cutler when you look at efficiency rather than all-time totals:

Cutler: 61.9 Cmp%, 7.2 Y/A, 4.6 TD%, 3.3 INT%, 233 Y/G
Eli......: 59.7 Cmp%, 7.1 Y/A, 4.7 TD%, 3.2 INT%, 239 Y/G

Basically the same effectiveness.

Judas Iscariot
April 6th, 2017, 1:02 AM
So because Eli has never missed a game due to his durability, that should be held against him... Riiiiight....

Fro
April 6th, 2017, 9:24 AM
I'm not holding it against him, I'm commending him for it. The record for most consecutive starts goes Favre 297, Peyton 208, Eli 199 and I have a ton of respect for that type of ironman streak in any sport. Especially football where there's so much contact and violence. Favre and Cal Ripken are the kings. Eli won't reach Favre but he's making a good run at it.

But the fact that he's 8th and 7th in all time passing yards and touchdowns respectively isn't very impressive to me outside of proving his durability. Vinny Testaverde was 6th all time in passing yards when he retired. Like Eli, that showed that he had been around for a long time, not that he was an all time great.

Honey_Badger
April 6th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Eli sucks, but he will get in for two reasons: 1. His last name. 2. His 2 SB wins.

Morrison
April 6th, 2017, 1:29 PM
I'm not holding it against him, I'm commending him for it. The record for most consecutive starts goes Favre 297, Peyton 208, Eli 199 and I have a ton of respect for that type of ironman streak in any sport. Especially football where there's so much contact and violence. Favre and Cal Ripken are the kings. Eli won't reach Favre but he's making a good run at it.

But the fact that he's 8th and 7th in all time passing yards and touchdowns respectively isn't very impressive to me outside of proving his durability. Vinny Testaverde was 6th all time in passing yards when he retired. Like Eli, that showed that he had been around for a long time, not that he was an all time great.

good lord.

Fro
April 6th, 2017, 1:58 PM
I don't understand how what I'm saying is at all bold or inaccurate. He's never missed a game in 13 years. He's played at the same effectiveness of Jay Cutler, on average. He's won 2 rings. This is the book on Eli Manning. But please elaborate on why you disagree with this assessment.

Fro
April 7th, 2017, 9:41 AM
Aaron Rodgers and Olivia Munn broke up. Curse of Munn lifted and Packers confirmed winning the NFC this year.

son_of_foley
April 7th, 2017, 9:53 AM
I am willing to take the curse on. To protect everyone else

Mr. Boombastic
April 7th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I don't get the Olivia Nunn hype. She is like a 6 at best. She is a like a retarded looking version of Winnie Cooper; I don't get it?

son_of_foley
April 8th, 2017, 4:39 AM
That's my exact type

BigAl
April 8th, 2017, 8:33 AM
AP to visit NO this coming week.

MTR
April 12th, 2017, 1:41 PM
St. Louis is suing the NFL over the Rams relocation. This should be interesting.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/st-louis-suing-nfl-over-rams-relocation/article_501e2349-c9c9-5a70-9743-2583f89948d9.html

Fro
April 12th, 2017, 3:16 PM
I hope they win since the NFL is scum but I doubt much will come of this. A small settlement perhaps.

MTR
April 12th, 2017, 3:48 PM
I doubt they even get a settlement. The NFL has money to spend on lawyers to drag this out and what not make it eventually make the city and county give up.

I honestly hope they win as well considering they didn't follow their own guidelines when making this decision. They just saw the dollar signs that asshole Kroenke was waving around.

Okay maybe I am still a bit bitter about this....

TimeSplitter
April 13th, 2017, 8:11 AM
While I'd like the city to win the case, if the lawsuit happened this time last year, I'd be more interested. This just seems like a "we thought of something too late" approach.

BigAl
April 13th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Lynch has reportedly started reinstatement proceedings. Wants to play in OAK or anywhere Sherman is traded to. Also looks like the Hawks would take a $9MM cap hit.

Fro
April 13th, 2017, 7:46 PM
RIP Dan Rooney

and Eli Manning caught scamming fans with fraudulent memorabilia lol, that whole family is such scum.

hithit
April 13th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Yea, that Peyton really is a terrible person...

Fro
April 13th, 2017, 11:09 PM
I know I rag on them too much, but yea, Peyton's done some very detestable things to protect his image.

MTR
April 14th, 2017, 10:52 AM
While I'd like the city to win the case, if the lawsuit happened this time last year, I'd be more interested. This just seems like a "we thought of something too late" approach.

Yeah I agree. This would have been better to do almost as soon as the Rams relocated instead of waiting so long.

At the end of the day I don't see anything coming out of this lawsuit.

The Law
April 14th, 2017, 11:57 AM
This Eli story feels like it could be big. If he did what he's accused of isn't that the sort of thing that would get him suspended a couple games?

ReDPath
April 14th, 2017, 4:00 PM
Aaron Hernandez found not guilty of 2012 South End Double Murder. More than likely to try to repeal the other verdict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsLoC27nXxU

Percussion
April 15th, 2017, 11:11 AM
This is absolutely heartbreaking ...

Ex-Ravens tight end Todd Heap accidentally kills 3-year-old daughter (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/04/15/ex-ravens-tight-end-todd-heap-accidentally-kills-3-year-old-daughter/?utm_term=.7fe4a2a1a6b0)

Former Ravens tight end Todd Heap accidentally killed his three-year-old daughter Friday at his home in Mesa, Ariz. According to the Arizona Republic, police confirmed the tragic event, saying that the 37-year-old was moving his truck forward in his driveway and didn’t realize his daughter was in the path of the vehicle.

Police said she was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead. According to authorities, Heap was not impaired, and an investigation into the incident is continuing.

Hope he can somehow find peace in his life after this.

Judas Iscariot
April 15th, 2017, 11:28 AM
That is so awful. Jesus.

MTR
April 15th, 2017, 11:28 AM
:cry:

Beefy
April 15th, 2017, 2:29 PM
I've read stories like that before and they're just horrible. How do you go on after that?

The Law
April 15th, 2017, 7:42 PM
Hate hearing stories like that. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Can't imagine having to live with killing your kid. Can't be careful enough backing out when there are kids around.

Chris Scott
April 16th, 2017, 2:52 PM
Wow first I've read of this terrible that. I pray he can find peace.

BigAl
April 17th, 2017, 5:05 PM
Very interesting piece in this week's SI. I'm sure it's probably been discussed before but I've never heard it:

With four seconds left in Week 17 of the 2003 season, Cardinals QB Josh McCown tosseed a game winning TD. At the time the biggest effect was that it kept the Vikes out of the playoffs. Had AZ lost that game, they would have had the worst record, not the Chargers, and with it the #1 pick. AZ presumably would have replaced McCown with Eli, who may have agreed to play in AZ. Chargers would have had the #2 pick and could still have picked Rivers, but without trading Eli to the Giants they wouldn't have had an extra first round pick, a pick they used on Shawne Merriman. There's always the chance they took Merriman second overall and rolled the dice on QBs in the next round. That leaves the Giants to most likely choose their second choice for QB, Big Ben. AZ wouldn't have had the chance to pick Larry Fitzgerald, who most likely would have gone to the Browns. And who knows maybe the Steelers pick for a QB with the 11th pick. Maybe Rivers if he's still available, or maybe Matt Schaub. The 2004 Draft and the NFL today could have been very, very different if McCown throws an incomplete pass.

Percussion
April 17th, 2017, 5:21 PM
Andre Johnson will retire as a Texan (https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/17/andre-johnson-will-retire-as-a-texan/amp/)

Usually don't care for ceremonial silliness like this, but with the way Dre left the club and seeing as we're puddle deep on tradition/history and the fact that he's an all-time gamer and genuinely really good dude, this is actually rather satisfying. Hope we hang up his no. 80 for good as well.

_me
April 18th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Are there any quality NFL QB who only started for the their college team for one year? Cam is about the only one I can think of and that is just because he was only there one season. He won the JC national championship the year at Blinn before he won the NCAA national championship at Auburn. The fact that Trubisky couldn't even win the starting job last year at UNC is a gigantic red flag to me.

Fro
April 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Kurt Warner only started his senior year in college. Of course he also went undrafted and then played Arena Football before making it in the NFL.

2017 schedule should come out soon, then the draft next week. Exciting week and a half coming up.

The Law
April 18th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Matt Cassel wasn't amazing, but he had a few quality years as a starter after never starting a game at USC.

I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else but there's probably somebody from a QB factory school who didn't get a chance to start until their senior year because they were stuck behind somebody really good.

Kneeneighbor
April 18th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Joe Flacco only started one year and that was at Delaware.
Kurt Warner only 1 year as a starter at Northern Iowa.

Fro
April 18th, 2017, 1:22 PM
Some moderately noteworthy news today: the Bucs have been chosen as the Hard Knocks team this year.

Fro
April 18th, 2017, 1:56 PM
And now some Patriots news dropping:

Patriots extended a restricted free agent offer sheet to Bills RB Mike Gillislee. It’s for 2 years, $6.4M, source said. $4M in the 1st year. If the Bills don't match they'll get a 5th round pick from the Pats. Of course the last Bills RFA signed away by the Pats was Chris Hogan. This seems to be the exact same tactic: putting a lot of money in the first year to make it tough for the cap-stricken Bills to match.

Also, Danny Amendola has agreed to a restructure (i.e. salary reduction) with the Pats. As expected. He was scheduled to have a cap hit of $7.7 million this year which was never going to stick since he only had 200 receiving yards last season and figures to be the 5th or 6th option going forward. But I'm glad he's back (or at least potentially back - could still get cut). Very dependable punt returner and seems to come up big for us in the playoffs with touchdowns in both his Super Bowl appearances.

Fro
April 18th, 2017, 2:01 PM
Surprising to see the Pats invest this much in free agent running backs. They gave Burkhead over 3 mil and now Gillislee would get over 3 mil/season. They haven't had a single RB make over $2 million since 2010. Now they could add 2 in the same offseason. I like it though - with Brady on the back 9 of his career it's good to lean more on the run game. Gillislee with a career Y/C of 5.6 granted in a small sample size (865 career rushing yards).

LaGarrette Blount has to be frustrated by this Pats offseason but such is life.

BigAl
April 18th, 2017, 2:06 PM
I thought I read somewhere the other day that the Pats might try to get rid of Blount...any truth to that?

Kdestiny
April 18th, 2017, 2:08 PM
I thought I read somewhere the other day that the Pats might try to get rid of Blount...any truth to that?

He's a free agent, yeah?

BigAl
April 18th, 2017, 2:11 PM
Is he? I missed that. I thought he was signed through the 2017 season. Whoops.

Fro
April 18th, 2017, 2:11 PM
Correct. He's a free agent and if the Bills don't match the offer for Gillislee then it's all but assured that Blount will be playing elsewhere next year after his 18 TD/1100 yard 2016 season. You don't get rewarded for past achievements around here.

TimeSplitter
April 18th, 2017, 2:36 PM
I don't think I'll understand why Blount hasn't accepted the Pat's standing offer, especially after the low deals for FR RB's this and last offseason.

Fro
April 18th, 2017, 2:48 PM
I don't think I'll understand why Blount hasn't accepted the Pat's standing offer, especially after the low deals for FR RB's this and last offseason.

Well let's say the Pats offer was 1 year/1.5 million (guessing), and you're 30-year old Blount coming off a career year with this being probably your best last chance for some decent money, I can see why he wouldn't sign for that. But you're right that the landscape is very poor for free agent RBs.

BigAl
April 18th, 2017, 2:52 PM
One of the things that he has working in his favor is that his number of career carries is fairly low for a 30 year old back, compared to other free agent RBs. He may have a little more left in the tank.

Kneeneighbor
April 18th, 2017, 3:11 PM
I am holding out some hope of Blount to GB.

TimeSplitter
April 18th, 2017, 3:18 PM
I am holding out some hope of Blount to GB.

That is a pretty good fit.

Gampo
April 18th, 2017, 4:55 PM
As a Vikings fan.. I'd hate to see GB get a high quality RB :lol: ...but as a football fan in general I agree with you guys that Blount would be an excellent fit there.

Percussion
April 18th, 2017, 10:56 PM
Are there any quality NFL QB who only started for the their college team for one year? Cam is about the only one I can think of and that is just because he was only there one season. He won the JC national championship the year at Blinn before he won the NCAA national championship at Auburn. The fact that Trubisky couldn't even win the starting job last year at UNC is a gigantic red flag to me.

To be fair, Marquise Williams had already established himself as an up and coming player the year that Trubisky redshirted. That was Williams first year as the starter. After that, Williams improved his completion percentage but really broke out as a runner. It was working, I don't think you could expect NC to bench Williams for Trubisky at that point. And then the Tarheels did win the ACC when Williams was a senior.

I don't hold why Trubisky sat on the bench against him as a prospect, it's no real legitimate red flag. But his resultant inexperience should certainly weigh in to the evaluation. His whiteboard interviews should weigh accordingly to any coach/GM. In the end though he put up a monster year, one single year or not, that can't be ignored. The arm talent, the athleticism, the poise ... his goods appear awfully for real.

Percussion
April 19th, 2017, 6:58 AM
Aaron Hernandez kills himself in prison (http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/04/19/aaron-hernandez-kills-himself-prison/Hkp9wdGcZImoMBomJLMNVJ/story.html?s_campaign=bostonglobe%3Asocialflow%3At witter)

Aaron Hernandez committed suicide in prison Wednesday morning, the Department of Correction said.

According to a statement from the department, the former New England Patriots star was discovered hanging in his cell at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., at approximately 3:05 a.m.

Still didn't see any light at the end of this. Bananas all the way around, this story.

BigAl
April 19th, 2017, 7:06 AM
What light could he possibly have seen, other than being able to occasionally see his daughter in the visitor's room? He was still serving a life sentence.

But yeah, bonkers story from beginning to end.

ReDPath
April 19th, 2017, 7:10 AM
Why not take the chance with the retrial/appeal of the first case and get that overturned possibly?

Guilty conscious I suppose. To think he could've been a 2 time champ since all that murdering went down.

Very weird story.

BigAl
April 19th, 2017, 7:17 AM
Maybe his lawyers told him there was no chance of getting a new trial? I'm by no means an expert in law, but don't you need an excuse other than "I want a new trial" to appeal anything? Not saying that I think he did the right thing, but I get why he did it.

This whole thing was like an episode of When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong.

Beefy
April 19th, 2017, 7:20 AM
He was bang to rights over the first conviction. It's the lack of a potential for parole in the future which is the killer (as it were).

Torn
April 19th, 2017, 7:50 AM
Why not take the chance with the retrial/appeal of the first case and get that overturned possibly?

Guilty conscious I suppose. To think he could've been a 2 time champ since all that murdering went down.

Very weird story.

You are trying to rationalise the actions of a murdering psychopath. That is why it doesn't make sense.

Fro
April 19th, 2017, 7:57 AM
That is like the 7th Patriots transaction in the last 24 hours, wild day.

Maybe his lawyers told him there was no chance of getting a new trial? I'm by no means an expert in law, but don't you need an excuse other than "I want a new trial" to appeal anything? Not saying that I think he did the right thing, but I get why he did it.

This whole thing was like an episode of When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong.

I'm pretty sure homicide convictions have an automatic appeal process, at least in Massachusetts. You always get an appeal. I highly doubt he would have won it though.

Fro
April 19th, 2017, 8:00 AM
The Patriots visit the White House today, by the way. That will have an interesting vibe.

BigAl
April 19th, 2017, 8:07 AM
I'm pretty sure homicide convictions have an automatic appeal process, at least in Massachusetts. You always get an appeal. I highly doubt he would have won it though.

Gotcha. I had no clue but that makes sense. I knew death penalty cases have an automatic appeal.

Honey_Badger
April 19th, 2017, 1:03 PM
As heinous as his crimes were, I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain and sorrow he felt being locked up for the rest of his life, with no chance to see his family or hold his daughter. I can understand why he did what he did. It's a sad situation all around.

Fro
April 19th, 2017, 3:12 PM
Under Massachusetts law, Aaron Hernandez suicide voids murder conviction (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/under-massachusetts-aaron-hernandez-suicide-voids-murder-conviction/)

So because he committed suicide, his previous homicide conviction is nullified which could have an effect on his victim's family getting paid from his estate in a civil case. When you think about it, killing himself is a classic Patriots move because it's exploiting a loophole in the rulebook. I bet John Harbaugh is already whining about getting the rule changed.

also, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7_fZz6AcPg

BigAl
April 19th, 2017, 3:18 PM
Technically there is no "victim" now, right? He was found innocent of two murders and because of a loophole in MA law the Odin Lloyd case goes back to step 1, before the trial. I'd imagine the Lloyd family would be hard-pressed to prove Hernandez did anything since the case that convicted him hasn't happened in the eyes of the law. Interesting case.

I wonder if this will have any impact on his estate trying to get any money from the Pats/NFL from his voided contract?

Beefy
April 19th, 2017, 3:56 PM
That is bullshit

MTR
April 19th, 2017, 3:59 PM
The family can still win a civil suite again his estate though even if the conviction goes away in my view. OJ lost the civil suite after being found not guilty. They may not able to use the conviction but they can still use all the evidence used in the trial I would assume to prove their case.

Honey_Badger
April 19th, 2017, 4:26 PM
Gronk is such a goon.

stylepoints
April 19th, 2017, 9:12 PM
As heinous as his crimes were, I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain and sorrow he felt being locked up for the rest of his life, with no chance to see his family or hold his daughter. I can understand why he did what he did. It's a sad situation all around.

Ikr? I mean, drinks were spilled, the guy just did what he had to do :dunno:

Percussion
April 22nd, 2017, 12:09 PM
Less than a week away from draftpartytime, who else has their wishlist ready?

Like to find a RT because we have fuck all there. ILB, S, CB, and TE are all areas that need addressing as well. And QB just kinda goes without saying.

So, hoping for one of these guys, in order, at 25 come Thursday night..

Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin
Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
Forrest Lamp, OL, Western Kentucky
Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

... big list, yes, but this draft looks very fluid so keeping plenty of viable options on the table.

Fro
April 25th, 2017, 8:59 AM
AP to the Saints is a done deal. I like that, from a purely entertainment perspective. Saints at Vikings on MNF week 1 will be fun. I'd like to see them in the playoffs again - missing the playoffs in 4 of the last 5 years when your QB is Drew Brees shouldn't happen.

Mike Gillislee to the Pats also done as the Bills fail to match the offer sheet.

Kneeneighbor
April 25th, 2017, 9:43 AM
Come on Blount to Green Bay!

Would be a nice compliment to Ty Montgomery and then the Packers wouldnt need to spend a high pick on RB and could use it on defense.

son_of_foley
April 25th, 2017, 9:58 AM
Going to actually try and watch some of the draft this year.

Not really sure what the Vikings need as I'm completely new to the sport but yeah tips on what to look for would be useful

BigAl
April 25th, 2017, 10:06 AM
First year not watching the first round in long, long time.

I remember watching the entire draft while writing my senior college thesis over the span of one weekend in 2006. Great weekend.

Kneeneighbor
April 25th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Not really sure what the Vikings need as I'm completely new to the sport but yeah tips on what to look for would be useful

Well you can skip day 1 because they dont have a pick. :lol:

Their O line was bad but they added some free agents, will probably draft some in later rounds. They need a D Tackle and could use some LB help.

Beefy
April 25th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I'm 'working from home' so I can stay up and watch all night Thursday.

Also booked my flight earlier to go to Metlife for Seahawks @ Giants week seven.

Fro
April 25th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Blount being linked to the Giants. He had 18 rushing TDs last season, the entire Giants team had 6 (last in the NFL). Seems like a good fit.

Beefy
April 25th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Blount, Perkins & Vereen definitely seems like a good trio. Decent mix of skills there. If McCaffery makes it to 15 on Thursday I'd love to see them trade up to get him too.

Percussion
April 25th, 2017, 2:54 PM

Guys of note at positions of need (I think) for the Vikes @ 48..

OL - Dan Feeney, Dion Dawkins, Taylor Moton, and Dorian Johnson
RB - Alvin Kamara, Joe Mixon, and Donta Foreman
DT - Malik McDowell, Caleb Brantley, and Montravious Adams

Any one these guys should pay pretty immediate dividends.

Kneeneighbor
April 26th, 2017, 9:30 AM
Lynch officially to the Raiders.

Vikings will pass on 5th year option for Bridgewater.

TimeSplitter
April 26th, 2017, 9:41 AM
Yeah, I think it's tough for them to pick up his option with his injury.

Kneeneighbor
April 26th, 2017, 9:50 AM
Yes they would have to guarantee him $11 million if he is injured.

Fro
April 26th, 2017, 10:01 AM
NFL reporter Ed Werder among the many ESPN layoffs today (70-100 layoffs expected). This is supposedly going to hit a lot of their on-air talent. Interesting dynamic as they start their coverage of the draft.

Kneeneighbor
April 26th, 2017, 10:25 AM
My guess is he gets a large bonus if hes apart of the coverage and that's why he got the ax today as opposed to a week from now.

Also can someone explain to me why Rachel Nichols continues to have a job? She is terrible at reporting and I find her terribly annoying and they are not keeping her around for her looks because she is unattractive. I just can never figure that one out.

Fro
April 26th, 2017, 10:34 AM
I adore Rachel Nichols. I've never seen her current NBA show "The Jump" since it's on during the work day but she's delightful in general. I wish she would have taken Chris Berman's seat on Monday Night Countdown instead of Suzy Kolber.

If I had to power rank ESPN female personalities I'm not sure who would rank above her. Doris Burke in the #2 spot.

Fro
April 26th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Actually Suzy Kolber is pretty great too so I'll walk that back a little. Kolber is a good anchor/reporter, Nichols is more of a fun personality.

What I meant to say was I wish Nichols would have gotten the Sunday NFL Countdown host gig instead of Sam Ponder.

Kneeneighbor
April 26th, 2017, 11:21 AM
I absolutly cannot stand her. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that she was the one constantly reporting on the Bret Favre saga when he kept retuning but she never had any new info on it. Just a bunch of stand ups outside the stadium rehashing the same info over and over.

TimeSplitter
April 26th, 2017, 11:50 AM
I like Ed Werner, and I'm sure someone will hire him within the week. I'm not sure who else will be ousted.

BigAl
April 26th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I'm thinking a lot of the part time guys will be let go. The guys who show up on SC maybe two or three times a month. Like, for instance, Doug Glanville for baseball coverage. He's on SC once in a while so I'd imagine he gets the ax.

Kneeneighbor
April 26th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Here is a (http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091) running list on Deadspin

And a note from the article

Additionally, The Hollywood Reporter reports (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/layoffs-hit-espn-as-network-sheds-air-talent-997616) that Karl Ravech, Ryen Russillo, and Hannah Storm will see their roles “significantly reduced.”

Percussion
April 26th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Russilo's one of the few reasons I tune into to ESPN much at all anymore. Hm.

Fro
April 26th, 2017, 1:26 PM
official statement from Marshawn Lynch (sorry for size)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-WvZ-kUIAA3WXS.jpg

BigAl
April 26th, 2017, 1:51 PM
Dilfer is gone from ESPN.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Lynch can do in Oakland. He's one of my favorites and I hope he can make it work.

Fro
April 26th, 2017, 1:58 PM
Yep Dilfer gone and also Danny Kanell and MLB writer/reporter Jayson Stark. I've been in situations like this where my company was doing mass layoffs and it's crazy but this type of day at ESPN where famous sports media stars are getting axed must be next level wild.

The Law
April 26th, 2017, 2:26 PM
Definitely feels like a watershed moment in sports media. ESPN has been the giant for decades, now they're forced to make dramatic cuts to survive. Started a couple years ago when they let go of Bill Simmons and Keith Olbermann and today they fired like half their on-air talent.

Feels like they're basically done covering the NHL beyond game highlights, no more in-depth coverage. Understandable, but really sucks for hockey fans. If I were Fox Sports I'd probably try to make a niche for myself of being a place to go for good hockey coverage, ESPN has cornered the market on football, basketball, and baseball.

Big thing I wonder about is whether we're seeing the popping of the rights fees bubble. ESPN's in trouble because they paid so much for the NBA, MLB, and NFL rights packages. If live sports rights fees are going down that's going to be a big hit to WWE, who has come to really rely on their rights fee as their biggest source of revenue even as their viewership has declined.

Kneeneighbor
April 26th, 2017, 2:34 PM
Yep Dilfer gone and also Danny Kanell and MLB writer/reporter Jayson Stark. I've been in situations like this where my company was doing mass layoffs and it's crazy but this type of day at ESPN where famous sports media stars are getting axed must be next level wild.

Of that group the only one who makes it on my radar is Jayson Stark and I feel like he is a bit passed his prime. Dilfer does nothing for me and I wont miss him in the least.

Morrison
April 26th, 2017, 3:55 PM
My guess is he gets a large bonus if hes apart of the coverage and that's why he got the ax today as opposed to a week from now.

Also can someone explain to me why Rachel Nichols continues to have a job? She is terrible at reporting and I find her terribly annoying and they are not keeping her around for her looks because she is unattractive. I just can never figure that one out.

you have asinine standards if rachel nichols is considered unattractive.

Kdestiny
April 26th, 2017, 4:07 PM
I would be ecstatic if the Browns didn't take Garrett at 1. Hear that they may go with Trubisky. If they go that route I certainly hope the Bears either trade to 2 or make sure he drops to 3 for them

Kneeneighbor
April 26th, 2017, 9:52 PM
you have asinine standards if rachel nichols is considered unattractive.

She used to have hideously bad teeth. Shes had a lot of work done. Also if you look there are a few videos of her doing interviews at colleges that are not shot in a big time professional level. She is not done up with gallons of make up. She is a wreck.

In addition the woman never fucking blinks. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Tmn93Cz8I) 1 time in that 23 second stand up.

Beefy
April 27th, 2017, 5:19 AM
Happy Draft Day everyone.

son_of_foley
April 27th, 2017, 5:49 AM
Don't watch the Kevin Costner movie guys. Honestly.

Beefy
April 27th, 2017, 5:58 AM
I thought it was ok. Marc Sessler got destroyed again on the Around the NFL podcast yesterday for his drunken gushing review of that film.

BigAl
April 27th, 2017, 7:29 AM
I won't say that I liked the whole movie. The trading of picks was ridiculous. But I did like Chadwick Boseman in it. I thought it was decent overall.

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 9:21 AM
The particulars were nonsense, but seeing the paths for all those involved each winding their way toward the big day was entertaining.

Chris Scott
April 27th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Was a decent movie.

Honey_Badger
April 27th, 2017, 2:01 PM
If Myles Garrett is not the #1 pick, there are some absurdly dumb GM's in the NFL... well, Cleveland, I shall say.

I think R. Foster falls to the Bengals and they get the steal of the 1st round. Foster is a legitimate first year pro bowl player, and the Bengals would highly benefit from that type of presence in the middle with Burfict.

I could see the Patriots taking that cat from Michigan, turning him into a DE and him becoming a pro bowl player.

Ummm... what else...

Jacksonville should take the LSU RB whose name I can't pronounce or spell correctly. :)

New Orleans desperately need to use their 2 1st round picks on DB's. Good God, they are horrible in the backfield.

Really intrigued to see what Tennessee does with #5 and #18. They're 2 solid picks away from a division title and possible AFC Title game spot. I was high on them last season around this time, and everyone shit on me. I am high on them now, and you'll will see the rise of Marcus this year.

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 2:11 PM
I see Tennessee going DB and then WR/TE with their two first round picks

Honey_Badger
April 27th, 2017, 2:15 PM
Lattimore and Corey Davis would be a nice 1-2 punch for them.

I'm calling it now and sticking to my guns... Tennessee versus New England in the AFC Title Game this year.

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 2:19 PM
I could see the Patriots taking that cat from Michigan, turning him into a DE and him becoming a pro bowl player.

Who?

Kneeneighbor
April 27th, 2017, 2:19 PM
Lattimore and Corey Davis would be a nice 1-2 punch for them.

I'm calling it now and sticking to my guns... Tennessee versus New England in the AFC Title Game this year.

:lol: Are you drunk?

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 2:29 PM
Who?

Taco

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 2:34 PM
Taco

Ok, guess I didn't get the need to turn a de into a de.

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 2:46 PM
And there's a better chance the league goes back to leather helmets than Taco Charlton making it to 72..

Honey_Badger
April 27th, 2017, 4:18 PM
:lol: Are you drunk?

It's funny, I said Tennessee would make a run at the playoffs or the division and finish above 8-8 last year, and I received the same sort of response. I wish I could go back and find the posts, but I suck at searching on this site, so screw it. I will just say "told you so" when it happens, again.

Taco

Jabrill Peppers

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 4:21 PM
Jabrill Peppers

There's a better chance of the league going to tacos for helmets than Peppers either becoming a de or lasting until pick 72.

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 4:22 PM
He's too small to be a DE, especially on a team that runs a 3-4

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 4:22 PM
There's a better chance of the league going to tacos for helmets than Peppers either becoming a de or lasting until pick 72.

I think he goes to Pittsburgh in the first

Honey_Badger
April 27th, 2017, 4:25 PM
No one ever said he would go to 72, I just said he would go to New England. DE was a bad call though, more of an outside linebacker. I still see Bill making magic and trading up for some picks. This draft is deep and loaded, and it will be tough to sit back and watch such talent come off of the board for 71 picks.

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 4:26 PM
I think he goes to Pittsburgh in the first

I've got him going to NO to finish the first, but could easily see him land in Dallas, GB, or Pitt.

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 4:28 PM
No one ever said he would go to 72, I just said he would go to New England. DE was a bad call though, more of an outside linebacker. I still see Bill making magic and trading up for some picks. This draft is deep and loaded, and it will be tough to sit back and watch such talent come off of the board for 71 picks.

I could see him playing middle for sure. Not sure how good of an edge rusher be would be

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 4:34 PM
Middle ... linebacker?

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 4:38 PM
He's a SS in base defense and a moneybacker in the box at most in sub-packages. He's not taking on guards on the regular, he'd be ineffective .. and get killed.

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 6:20 PM
Middle ... linebacker?

Middle linebacker yes. He can do coverage and run support but is by no means a pass rusher

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 6:24 PM
Middle linebacker yes. He can do coverage and run support but is by no means a pass rusher

He can provide coverage and run support. But he's likewise by no means a middle linebacker.

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 6:43 PM
Looks like Garrett is set to go at 1.

Damn

Fro
April 27th, 2017, 6:55 PM
it was crazy to ever think otherwise

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 6:58 PM
The idea of Trubisky being a franchise qb isn't crazy.

Judas Iscariot
April 27th, 2017, 7:11 PM
Just heard a rumor an hour ago on local sports talk the Giants are looking to trade up for Patrick Mahomes to groom him behind Eli for a couple of years.

They're gonna have to start looking for a QB eventually but this team is built to win now, not three years down the road.

The have other stuff to shore up.

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 7:11 PM
it was crazy to ever think otherwise

I was holding out hope. Not all teams have essentially everything they need like the Patriots do

Judas Iscariot
April 27th, 2017, 7:13 PM
I'm morbidly curious see the the vitriolic reactions Jets fans are going to have no matter who they pick.

If they pick another quarterback I think all of their brains might explode at once.

Fro
April 27th, 2017, 7:34 PM
Bold Prediction: the Pats trade Malcolm Butler, but not to the Saints.

(This could also happen tomorrow in the 2nd round)

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 7:36 PM
So exciting. I love draft time!

Fro
April 27th, 2017, 8:03 PM
70,000 people there, wow. nice set up in Philly.

doesn't feel right without Boomer tho

Kdestiny
April 27th, 2017, 8:04 PM
Cities are vying for the draft the same way they would for a Super Bowl it seems

Fro
April 27th, 2017, 8:05 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOdell

Percussion
April 27th, 2017, 8:06 PM
Fired 100 people and kept Mel motherfuckin' Kiper...

ugh