PDA

View Full Version : Planet Coaster

Reech
August 30th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Planet Coaster is an upcoming construction and management simulation developed and published by Frontier Developments for Microsoft Windows due to be released in November 2016. An Alpha version of the game became available on 22 March 2016 for those that purchased the early bird edition which will run continuously until the games general release. The game is a spiritual successor to RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, a game that was also developed by Frontier in 2004. (Stolen from Wikipedia)

Here's a gameplay trailer -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFevO3Yjtk

And here's 4 streams from Gamescom involving interviews with the sexy Senior Producer (and the Lead Designer) and then some demos from members of the community of the latest Alpha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5octpUgBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMnozaVyo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGK7IhZh8fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUygVFFdKE0

Look, go buy this you bunch of twats, it's on Steam for £30/£27 (prices in other regions also exist but fuck them).

Simon
August 30th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I liked these games so much more when they had that isometric layout. The moment you start allowing all sorts of mad angles it becomes a billion times easier for idiots like me to make a complete bollocks of everything.

RCT2 is genuinely one of my favourite games of all time, it actually had a sort of therapeutic effect on me - I find it incredibly relaxing to build a huge park in sandbox mode, keep it closed until it was finished, then sit back and watch it fill up after my big opening day.

EDIT: Just realised you're involved with this. Tell me it's idiot-proof please.

BBF
August 30th, 2016, 11:57 AM
You should genuinely buy this. Its actually really fucking good and made my hankering for theme park disappear completely. Superbly immersive.

Reech
August 30th, 2016, 12:07 PM
EDIT: Just realised you're involved with this. Tell me it's idiot-proof please.

BBF can play it. Proof enough?

BBF
August 30th, 2016, 12:09 PM
JESUS. Headshot.

Reech
August 30th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Look how I show appreciation for your kind words on the work I do. I'm the worst.

The_Mike
August 30th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Like Simon I preferred the isometric perspective for these kinds of games, but this looks pretty spectacular.

Grimario
August 30th, 2016, 7:57 PM
I am pretty much going to buy this because someone from a forum I post on worked on it.

How is that for dedication?

Mr McGregor
August 31st, 2016, 6:06 AM
That Senior Producer is seriously sexy AF tho :drool:

I only finished Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 a couple of weeks ago, in terms of the campaign levels at least. Good fun mostly, with only few ride build restrictions causing frustration, so the creation and detail in this appear pant-wettingly lip-quiveringly bend-me-over beauteous. This looks like a dream to me, and it just has to remain one until it's Mac compatible or I can get it to look so pretty on a shite PC.

#ChiefBeefBelief

Pablo Diablo
October 6th, 2016, 4:14 PM
Was watching a Co-Optional Podcast from last week and there was a decent sized segment on this game with nerdcubed really saying he enjoyed the game. Good on you. Hope this last month or so before release goes well for you.

Reech
October 7th, 2016, 3:42 AM
Cheers guys.

If anyone pre-ordered the 'Thrillseeker Edition' on Steam, you can get access to the Alpha for this weekend only.

Simon
October 7th, 2016, 3:58 AM
How good is my PC going to need to be to make getting this worthwhile Reech?

Reech
October 7th, 2016, 4:40 AM
System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel i5-2300/AMD FX-4300
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GTX 560 (2GB)/AMD Radeon 7850 (2GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
Additional Notes: Minimum specifications may change during development.
RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7-4770/AMD FX-8350
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GTX 980 (4GB)/AMD R9 380 (4GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
Additional Notes: Recommended specifications may change during development.

Reech
October 7th, 2016, 4:41 AM
I would say "pretty good" as we're pushing your CPU/GPU to render all the crowd and the assets

Pablo Diablo
October 7th, 2016, 6:43 AM
Damn those are pretty high recommended specs.

Simon
October 7th, 2016, 7:29 AM
Yeah, fuck you Reech we're not all millionaires.

Reech
October 7th, 2016, 7:55 AM
It'll come down once we optimise it. Jeez.

Grimario
November 11th, 2016, 7:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVa4cdJqPIw

Reech
November 12th, 2016, 6:30 AM
I met Rudi at Gamescom, he's pretty cool and a smart guy.

I did enjoy how he's completely faked up making the coaster as though it was real life. That's a neat twist.

Pablo Diablo
November 17th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Best of luck today.

Reech
November 17th, 2016, 1:32 PM
Cheers.

It's out. Hope everyone who picks it up enjoys it.

Here's a video of me pushing the "button" to release it. https://twitter.com/studioanisa/status/799283767177199616/video/1

Dave
November 17th, 2016, 2:11 PM
Reech, what's going to make the biggest difference to performance with it - better graphics card, more memory or a better processor?

(I'm planning on getting a new PC - for this and for Civ 6 - but I'm not going to be spending a fortune).

Reech
November 17th, 2016, 2:24 PM
You'll need a combo of a good graphics card and memory. Did you check out the recommended specs?

Reech
November 17th, 2016, 2:25 PM
My work machine has 16gb RAM and a nVidia 980 and runs pretty damn well

Dave
November 17th, 2016, 2:38 PM
You'll need a combo of a good graphics card and memory. Did you check out the recommended specs?Yup - though you said they'd come down when you optimised it and they haven't... :shifty:

Basically would I be better shelling out for a higher-end graphics card to pair with an i5, or a cheaper graphics card paired with an i7?

BBF
November 17th, 2016, 2:39 PM
MAKE IT AGAIN BUT THIS TIME FOR MAC

Reech
November 17th, 2016, 2:52 PM
Yup - though you said they'd come down when you optimised it and they haven't... :shifty:

Basically would I be better shelling out for a higher-end graphics card to pair with an i5, or a cheaper graphics card paired with an i7?

It got optimised, we just didn't adjust the list specs that much. If you put a theoretical PC build together, I'll run it pass the code leads and get a thumbs up/down.

Hero!
November 17th, 2016, 2:52 PM
Congrats Reech. Seeing tons of great feedback for this.

Reech
November 17th, 2016, 2:56 PM
Yup - though you said they'd come down when you optimised it and they haven't... :shifty:

Well, that's tough. We think the i7 is a better bet but it depends on your graphics card. What ones were you looking at? It's a tough balance.

Pablo Diablo
November 17th, 2016, 3:42 PM
For general gaming the usual is that the graphics card is most important. But I'm your case both civ and this game appear to be games that would benefit from the advantages an i7 can give.

RuneEdge
November 17th, 2016, 4:07 PM
So is this supposed to be better than the new Roller Coaster Tycoon? Not really a fans of the 3D versions of the games, but that's the direction that all the games in the genre are heading so I can't really do much about it. Played the beta of the new RCT for a bit a while ago and thought it was an improvement on RCT3.

Dave
November 17th, 2016, 4:09 PM
Well, that's tough. We think the i7 is a better bet but it depends on your graphics card. What ones were you looking at? It's a tough balance.It would be something like

i5-6600 paired with a GTX 950 with 12GB of RAM and an 8GB SSD
i7-6700 paired with a GT730 (2GB) with 16GB of RAM and an 8GB SSD
i7-6700 paired with a GTX960 (4GB) with 8GB of RAM

Pablo Diablo
November 17th, 2016, 4:15 PM
The new RCT from everything i'm reading is absolutely shite. It's being panned on reviews everywhere as Atari rushing their game out in an unfinished form. Suspiciously releasing it one day before Planet Coaster.

Grimario
November 17th, 2016, 5:56 PM
The new RCT from everything i'm reading is absolutely shite. It's being panned on reviews everywhere as Atari rushing their game out in an unfinished form. Suspiciously releasing it one day before Planet Coaster.

Ahaha, some of the stuff is brutal.

RECENT: Mostly Negative (53 reviews)
OVERALL: Mostly Negative (1,754 reviews)

This game is abismal.

I'm a life-long fan of the RCT series and RCT:World has ♥♥♥♥ on them all from a height before promptly walking off laughing into the sunset with one finger raised.

Getting it working? A challenge. It doesn't like doing simple things such as loading, or playing for long durations without a crash.

Once you get it working, it's riddled with bugs and has captured next to nothing from the original games. It's clunky, riddled with UX screwups such as only being able to place fence panels one at a time, ah you know what? I can't be bothered with this review. The game's shocking, DO NOT WASTE £30.00 ON IT.

If you want RCT:World, buy Planet Coaster – one of RCT's original teams have built it and it's highly rated. If you want a classic feel, try Parkitect.

Save your sanity and money, U-turn here. I will never buy another Atari release after this complete scam they call a game,

RuneEdge
November 18th, 2016, 9:17 AM
Those who still prefer the older RCT series, should check out OpenRCT2 at http://openrct2.org/. Basically a open source version of the game that's taken Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and expanded it beyond what the original game could do. Main features include playing it in higher resolutions (I've tested it up to 4k), and also an online mode where more than one person can work on a single park.

Fanny
November 18th, 2016, 9:21 AM
12Gb of RAM? Suck my dick Reech.

Off to buy this now.

Reech
November 18th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I think you'll be fine with 8gb.

Reech
November 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
i7-6700 paired with a GTX960 (4GB) with 8GB of RAM

Lead programmer suggests that one and keep an eye out for a cheap SSD at some point.

Dave
November 18th, 2016, 8:41 PM
Lead programmer suggests that one and keep an eye out for a cheap SSD at some point.Cheers for that - I've ordered it now, so hopefully I'll get to delve in to the game sooner rather than later (well, assuming I have any time)

Reech
April 6th, 2017, 6:38 AM
Not sure if anyone cares too much but tonight, I'll be at the BAFTA awards dressed in a sharp tuxedo and on the red carpet for Video Games as we get nominated for "Best British Game".

http://www.bafta.org/games/games-awards-nominees-2017

Mr McGregor
April 6th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Congrats and good luck Reech. Have heard great things, well deserved nomination.

Grimario
April 6th, 2017, 6:14 PM
You lost to Overcooked. What the fuck? :(

RuneEdge
April 6th, 2017, 6:36 PM
WTF is Overcooked anyway? Planet Coaster on the other hand is actually a well known game. :no:

Grimario
April 6th, 2017, 6:48 PM
WTF is Overcooked anyway? Planet Coaster on the other hand is actually a well known game. :no:

Overcooked is basically a console version of 5 million different browser games. You get an order, you fry the meat, you put it on a bun, you serve it. Things get faster, orders get more complicated, mechanics get more involved. It's fun but fuck, Overcooked? :(

Reech
April 7th, 2017, 1:24 PM
If we had to lose to anyone, we're glad it was them. Phil and Oli have been friends of Frontier for years so we're quite happy for them.

But yeah, a bit gutted!

RuneEdge
January 8th, 2018, 6:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3eYxZedD4&feature=youtu.be

Someone's just made this in Planet Coaster. :eek:

Reech
January 10th, 2018, 5:13 AM
Yup, the office is pretty impressed with that one.

Beefy
January 10th, 2018, 6:09 AM
I don't like roller coasters but even I'd do that one if it existed.