PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Georges "RUSH" St. Pierre

Nash Diesel
August 3rd, 2016, 9:56 AM
Soooooooooooo

There have been talks, rumors for quite some time from not just Freddie Roach and other fighters but the man himself that GSP will be returning to compete for the UFC. Now we have GSP coming out saying he wants a shot at Woodley and Woodley is claiming the fight is in the works for UFC 205 in New York at Madison Square Garden.

What are your thoughts on GSP's return and what does that mean for the UFC, the sport of MMA, and the fans in general?

I think it's great. GSP is one of my favorites, easily one of the top 5 MMA fighters of all time if not the best of all time. He's a huge draw, his name still talked about. I just see this as a great thing for everyone including GSP himself. I think the UFC and MMA in general are lacking true superstar names and GSP was the biggest draw next to Brock Lesnar for years. I want to see him against several talents he's never faced (Lawler, Woodley, Wonderboy, Maia) plus rematch some cats like Carlos Condit.

And how will his time away affect him? You look at a guy like Dominic Cruz, he was battling injuries for a good 2 years and he has come back even better than he was imo. Sometimes it's good to take a break especially GSP who was in the toughest division (155 has a valid place in that discussion as well of course) and he took more shots in his last 3 fights than his previous fights combined. But he was still dominant.

The ONLY downside if this fight happens is that I feel it's Wonderboy's title shot to have. But again, it's GSP. He never lost the strap, he beat every top, dangerous dude they gave him. 98% of the MMA fighter community I'd say "They need to take another fight and see where they're at" just like Dominic Cruz had to, just like others. But again, it's GSP. Top draw, best of all time, never lost the strap.

Spedizzo
August 3rd, 2016, 2:30 PM
I will believe it when it is confirmed. GSP comeback rumors have been the equivalent in rumors/anticipation of Jurassic Park 4 and Dr. Dre's Detox Album (did that album ever actually come out??? I think I have been waiting for that for about 14 years)

GSP is one of the GOATs, but with the way MMA has been lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get KTFO at this point

I still think Lawler was the more dangerous fight but GSP had absolutely no interest in that fight. I don't understand why all the sudden GSP is estatic about fighting Tyron Woodley of all people?

All of GSP's fights he has been rumored to parttake in has been in favorable matches - Bisping, McGregor, and now Woodley (who doesn't have the greatest gas tank)

I obviously would be excited to see GSP come back, but of all the potential GSP comeback fights, this is the one that I am the most blahhhhh about

Nash Diesel
August 3rd, 2016, 2:46 PM
GSP is one of the GOATs, but with the way MMA has been lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get KTFO at this point

I agree man. That's something I'm worried about as well. He's 35 now, been out of the game for a couple years and while he is a super athlete, has never really been rocked or in trouble in a lot of wars, but everyone has a point where things start to go south no matter how great you are.

Tyson
August 6th, 2016, 4:42 PM
Consider me opposed to a GSP return.

I love the dude, would rather remember him as the dominant WW/one of the GOATs of the game than a dude who came back for a couple more paycheques and watched the other guy get his arm raised post fight. See: Liddell, Chuck and Silva, Anderson. Dude has nothing left to accomplish, even a "superfight" with Silva is not nearly as intriguing as it would have been 4-5 years ago (a la Money May/Pacman).

Enjoy your retirement, Georges. You've earned it...

Percussion
August 6th, 2016, 7:38 PM
Did he say he's coming back simply for a paycheck or is that just completely made up?

Seanny One Ball
August 7th, 2016, 2:25 PM
I think you know fine well Percussion

Percussion
August 7th, 2016, 3:08 PM
Doesn't mean I want to hear a response any less.

Nash Diesel
August 8th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Consider me opposed to a GSP return.

I love the dude, would rather remember him as the dominant WW/one of the GOATs of the game than a dude who came back for a couple more paycheques and watched the other guy get his arm raised post fight. See: Liddell, Chuck and Silva, Anderson. Dude has nothing left to accomplish, even a "superfight" with Silva is not nearly as intriguing as it would have been 4-5 years ago (a la Money May/Pacman).

Enjoy your retirement, Georges. You've earned it...

I'm definitely a little hesitant but I think it's great if he does return. The time off might have been a good thing and it wasn't time off to recover from injuries like his ACL injuries. That's the difference between him and the names you dropped, they never stopped, and plus they were about 5-6 years older than GSP when they started to fall off.

Seanny One Ball
August 8th, 2016, 2:34 PM
If GSP actually comes back he'll be champion again in no time and there'll be nobody beating him anytime soon.

He's the greatest natural athlete in MMA of all time. I'd say even more so than Jon Jones now that we know he's a completely irredeemable cunt.

Nash Diesel
August 8th, 2016, 3:16 PM
I think that GSP will be alright simply because he was so far ahead of everyone else that I don't know if everyone else has even caught up. The top guys are the same age as him, some have been around as long as he has with mixed success. Seriously, Condit, Maia, Lawler, Woodley, Wonderboy, Hendricks, pretty much the entire top 10 minus 1 or 2 guys are mid 30's and have been fighting for close to 10 years. And none of them are or were ever as good as GSP. How many split decisions did GSP win? He fucking owned pretty much everyone he ever fought sans a few bumps. Hendricks, the only SD win for GSP, toughest fight of his career imo and at that time Hendricks was in full on beast mode, and he still lost.

Seanny One Ball
August 8th, 2016, 5:53 PM
I think I scored it for Hendricks the last time I saw it. He hit GSP with some brutal shots. I was watching best of 2012/2013/2014 the other day and that was a great few years for fights. I didn't see a single one live :lol:

Mik
August 8th, 2016, 6:59 PM
Anyone who doesnt think that Hendricks was filled to the gills with roids has simply not been paying attention.

I do think that Wonderboy has the game to shut GSP down though.

Nash Diesel
August 9th, 2016, 9:47 AM
Yeah I would love to see GSP v. Wonderboy. I don't know if Woodley really has anything to offer in a fight against GSP. This is where the lack of "superstars" comes in because when I think of a GSP comeback, I'm not going "YEAH against Tyron Woodley yo!!" Why? Because the motherfucker is a nobody.

Spedizzo
August 9th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Woodley is becoming irritating fast

Went on a rant about how fans shouldn't have the right to say who he should fight next, considering he doesn't go to their job and tell their boss if they should get a raise

Thing he is missing is that unless they are government employees and his taxes go to them, it is the fans who are the reason he gets $$$ in the first place. So as fans of the sports why shouldn't they get to bullshit around and throw out suggestions with who they think he should fight next? ignorant twat

guy is basically a much shittier Rashad Evans (in his prime) to me

and yes, its because they are both black wrestlers who have mediocre to questionable standup, but are so fast and have one punch power that it doesn't matter in some fights

Nash Diesel
August 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM
lol. Hey I'll be honest, I thought the only reason Whitey White gave Tyron the title shot is because he's from Ferguson, MO and didn't want another riot in that shit hole town.

Fuck him. What has he done? Won the belt now wants to fight Nick Diaz lol. It's just laughable, the UFC I hold to a higher standard and the title scene for a few divisions is a joke. Gifted title shots, weight classes held up for catchweight rematches nobody wants to see.

Percussion
August 9th, 2016, 2:05 PM
Hey I'll be honest, I thought the only reason Whitey White gave Tyron the title shot is because he's from Ferguson, MO and didn't want another riot in that shit hole town.

You're being completely tongue in cheek here, right?

Nash Diesel
August 9th, 2016, 2:15 PM
If everyone was gifted a title shot because someone missed weight then I wouldn't have to reach for any excuse as to why he was given one in the first place. But to answer your question I was not being honest, just being a dick about it.

Mik
August 9th, 2016, 5:40 PM
Yeah I would love to see GSP v. Wonderboy. I don't know if Woodley really has anything to offer in a fight against GSP. This is where the lack of "superstars" comes in because when I think of a GSP comeback, I'm not going "YEAH against Tyron Woodley yo!!" Why? Because the motherfucker is a nobody.

Fast and powerful with wrestling that would stop GSP taking him down. Effectively he's got a little more than a punchers chance.

Nash Diesel
August 10th, 2016, 9:36 AM
Fast and powerful with wrestling that would stop GSP taking him down. Effectively he's got a little more than a punchers chance.

Heard it all before and GSP is a master at doing what you think he can't do or using someone's own skill set against them. I'm not saying Woodley doesn't have a chance or that he has a puncher's chance. I'm saying he's a fucking NOOOOOOOBODY and I don't want GSP's return wasted on a dude like this but it is what it is because he's the champ.

kangus
August 11th, 2016, 8:03 AM
Georgie boy gave a really good interview with Bloody Elbow earlier this week. Most importantly he said as of Wednesday he's joined the USADA athlete pool and is eligible for testing. That all but confirms he's coming back.

Seanny One Ball
August 11th, 2016, 8:18 AM
I like Tyron Woodley :dunno:

Spedizzo
August 11th, 2016, 9:01 AM
GSP -probably- has better/more technical striking, definitely less power, and I see the wrestling being neautralized (who knows, maybe I would give Woodley the edge in the wrestling).

The big thing GSP has in his favor is the ability to push the pace as the fight continues where Woodley will wear out and gas. Stamina will be a key factor if the rounds are close and GSP can remain conscious.

Woodley's biggest attribute will obviously be his power and speed. He can knock GSP out easily if he connects - and GSP has been getting tagged quite often in his latest outings.

Fanny Batter
August 11th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I would say the version of Josh Koscheck GSP beat was as good as Woodley, and the Fitch GSP beat would have given him fits as well with his durability. Jake Shields neutralised him and Rory Macdonald kept him behind the jab all night. So the Georges of then would absolutely be favoured to beat Woodley quite heavily. GSP off 2 knee surgeries and 3 years out? Fuck knows. That's why they fight in a cage and not on paper.

Nash Diesel
August 11th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I think Hendricks was the toughest fight he's ever had but I don't attribute that to GSP losing a step or 2, I attribute that to Hendricks just being a fucking beast as he was really putting it all together with his fights against Fitch and Condit. Plus his wars with Robbie Lawler. But as you said FB, that's they fight in a cage and not on paper because there are so many factors that go into a fight you just never really know what will happen.

And again I'm not saying Tyron Woodley is a garbage fighter, he's the fucking champ and he beat a really really tough motherfucker to win that belt. I'm just more "negative" about him getting a shot in the first place and how lackluster a fight with GSP feels because he's not really a name of any kind so the star power for a returning fight against GSP just isn't there IMHO. I'd rather see GSP fight the winner of Maia-Condit and the winner of that get a title shot (Woodley v. Wonderboy for the title). I mean if GSP isn't going to be able to fight for what, 4 months? Then why have Woodley sit out even more, why have Wonderboy sit out? Woodley doesn't want any part of Wonderboy because he knows that Wonderboy is the top dog (IMO) and if he loses, there goes a big money fight with GSP. So I respect he wants to try and cash in but it just doesn't scream "THIS IS AWESOME" outside of GSP returning in general because GSP rules.

Fanny Batter
August 11th, 2016, 2:44 PM
The ideal scenario would be GSP returning in a 3 rounder against Hendricks while Woodley defends against Wonderboy.

Nash Diesel
August 11th, 2016, 2:50 PM
The ideal scenario would be GSP returning in a 3 rounder against Hendricks while Woodley defends against Wonderboy.

I'd like that as well. Hendricks looked like dog shit in his last fight, he looked like he was barely alive. Part of me wonders if those fights with Lawler plus the Wonderboy KO put a dent in him.

kangus
August 11th, 2016, 2:54 PM
Some people are wondering if USADA put a dent in Hendricks as well. I mean it's kind of unfair speculation but look at his results since the policy was put in place.

Nash Diesel
August 11th, 2016, 3:13 PM
If you ask me, I think the weight cut from 215lbs to 170 is going to fucking kill this idiot. The downside for him is that he's like 5'9", not a lot of MW's that are 5'9" and successful. But again, if he didn't balloon up to 200+, he'd be able to make that cut easier. It's basically like Rumble Johnson. Rumble would get to like 205-210, then struggled like a motherfucker to even make 185 let alone 170. I bet now the dude walks around at like 230. At least.

So if JH would just stop getting up to Serra Weight I think he'd be a much better fighter.

Spedizzo
August 11th, 2016, 4:16 PM
This definitely isn't GSP's toughest fight to date. I agree Hendricks, Condit, Fitch, Koshcheck, etc all posed equal if not higher threats at the time.

It is just the ring rust, injuries, and age that is against Georgie right now that doesn't make GSP the big time favorite he usually was and has me leaning Woodley.

It is like The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak. Each win was wearing him down a little bit more. The Condit fight had GSP rocked with a head kick, the Hendricks fight was a split decision that practically retired GSP.

Woodley could be the 1 in 21 and 1.

Nash Diesel
August 11th, 2016, 4:34 PM
And that's the wrestling fan in me coming out going, do I really want to see GSP come back and lose to Tyron Woodley? I'd rather he come back and lose to someone super established.

OD50
August 13th, 2016, 5:38 AM
Some people are wondering if USADA put a dent in Hendricks as well. I mean it's kind of unfair speculation but look at his results since the policy was put in place.
Hendricks and his camp was acting very strangely in the lead up to the GSP fight iirc. Lots of weird shit with the WADA/Vada/testing situation.

kangus
August 13th, 2016, 5:48 AM
Haha, I remember that. And poor Georges in his thick Francophone accent was trying to explain the differences between WADA and VADA and it just ended up being a complete trainwreck.

Mark Hammer
August 17th, 2016, 5:36 PM
Hendricks and his camp was acting very strangely in the lead up to the GSP fight iirc. Lots of weird shit with the WADA/Vada/testing situation.

Yes, not to mention his utter inability to make weight and being visibly fat during his recent fights. I haven't followed any online speculation but I personally thought it was a bit obvious that the USADA crusade and Hendricks' steep decline correlated.

John Cocktoastin
August 24th, 2016, 1:20 AM
I am in utter shock that Kangus did not create this thread.

I always had a begrudging respect for GSP on account of his victories over my boy BJ Penn. I also used to get annoyed with him playing it safe by opting for the decision at times instead of letting it all hang-out...

I had similar complaints about early day Machida fights-- his defense-based, unorthodox karate-style used to drive me fucking batty...

until Shogun got ahold of him.

But, I never got to sit back and enjoy GSP's work. Now I can watch him without bias.

25/2 is nothing to scoff at; One of the greatest MMA fighters of all time.

and he's still young... I'm hoping for the money match in Tyron Woodley-- though Bisping would be interesting as well.

The talk of Silva doesn't really do much for me.

Nash Diesel
August 24th, 2016, 9:58 AM
haha I did beat Kangus to the punch :)

Yeah I think Matt Serra shook GSP quite a bit. That was the first time I ever heard of an MMA fighter seeing a sports psychologist after a loss, plus he tapped to the strikes so it wasn't like he got knocked the fuck out, so I'm sure that contributed to his mentality being what it was. You know, I can appreciate GSP and I know there are frustrating fights where you're like, come on dude you fucking killed Matt Hughes why are you holding back!...but man the way he'd pretty much use his opponents strengths against them and play their game and beat them at it, impressive. And to his defense, I wasn't expecting him to run through everyone like he did with Hughes because he had decisions before the Serra fight, and I think the level of talent at 170 is just so top notch that the guys he was going 5 rounds with weren't guys that were getting stopped. Condit, Diaz, Alves, Hendricks, they maybe had 1 stoppage prior to fighting GSP.

I can def see the pro's to saying GSP is the GOAT.

Spedizzo
August 24th, 2016, 10:06 AM
GSP can't be the GOAT because Jon Jones is the GOAT

before the age of 29 Jon Jones cleared out the LHW division in its entirety, has gone 23-0 in a division of killers where one punch equals night night, and literally beat the fuck out of all my heros - Rampage, Machida, Shogun, Rashad Evans, Belfort

the only current legitimate LHW he hasn't fought is Anthony Johnson, and lets be honest, if Jon Jones fights remotely smart and doesn't engage in the way Tex did (2 bulls locking horns), he is going to submit Rumble by round 2 or 3

he also systematically broke down everyone else, all while having coke orgys

but if Jon Jones wasn't the GOAT then GSP would be the GOAT

Nash Diesel
August 24th, 2016, 11:11 AM
The one nod I heard people give GSP over Jones is that LHW doesn't have the depth that WW has. GSP couldn't clear out his division because every time he'd beat the top 5, another new set of top 5 talent would take their place. There are times where you can look at the top 10-20 and go "I could see any of those guys as champion" because that's how deep it can get. 205, not so much. But again I think there are 4-5 guys who have a strong case...GSP, Anderson, Jones, Fedor, you could probably throw in the likes of Aldo, Mighty Mouse, they're just not big big names like the others mentioned.

Mark Hammer
August 24th, 2016, 6:40 PM
I am in utter shock that Kangus did not create this thread.

I always had a begrudging respect for GSP on account of his victories over my boy BJ Penn. I also used to get annoyed with him playing it safe by opting for the decision at times instead of letting it all hang-out...

I had similar complaints about early day Machida fights-- his defense-based, unorthodox karate-style used to drive me fucking batty...

until Shogun got ahold of him.

But, I never got to sit back and enjoy GSP's work. Now I can watch him without bias.

25/2 is nothing to scoff at; One of the greatest MMA fighters of all time.

and he's still young... I'm hoping for the money match in Tyron Woodley-- though Bisping would be interesting as well.

The talk of Silva doesn't really do much for me.
Kangus is not the world's only GSP fan.

Mark Hammer
August 24th, 2016, 6:43 PM
The one nod I heard people give GSP over Jones is that LHW doesn't have the depth that WW has. GSP couldn't clear out his division because every time he'd beat the top 5, another new set of top 5 talent would take their place. There are times where you can look at the top 10-20 and go "I could see any of those guys as champion" because that's how deep it can get. 205, not so much. But again I think there are 4-5 guys who have a strong case...GSP, Anderson, Jones, Fedor, you could probably throw in the likes of Aldo, Mighty Mouse, they're just not big big names like the others mentioned.

Not sure how anyone could consider Aldo for p4p but not Conor. Ignoring the result of their fight (if you can call it that, it was more of a rape) Conor literally epitomizes what p4p means.

John Cocktoastin
August 24th, 2016, 10:40 PM
...Ignoring the result of their fight (if you can call it that, it was more of a rape)
I'll bet you liked that didn't you?

oh wait, that's right: you only approve of male on female rape.

my bad.

Mark Hammer
August 25th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Nah, I loved it when McGregor did it to Aldo.

Nash Diesel
August 25th, 2016, 9:45 AM
Not sure how anyone could consider Aldo for p4p but not Conor. Ignoring the result of their fight (if you can call it that, it was more of a rape) Conor literally epitomizes what p4p means.

I think it goes back to the fact Aldo went 10 years without a loss. Just because Conor beat him doesn't mean anything. Weidman beat Anderson Silva, should we consider Weidman the GOAT?

1 punch=rape? Maybe in your weird world. And key word, PROBABLY could throw in the likes of Aldo and MM. I wouldn't make the argument, I'm always going to look at the first 4 as I mentioned as the only arguments for GOAT.

Nash Diesel
August 25th, 2016, 9:46 AM
I'll bet you liked that didn't you?

oh wait, that's right: you only approve of male on female rape.

my bad.

You will find that Mark is extremely anti-Brazil. Any time a fighter from Brazil loses or anything negative, this dude is throwing ticker tape parade for a month straight before he vanishes into thin air.

Mark Hammer
August 25th, 2016, 9:48 AM
That would explain why Claudia Gadelha is my favorite WMMArtist then.

Nash Diesel
August 25th, 2016, 10:06 AM
That would explain why Claudia Gadelha is my favorite WMMArtist then.

I'll admit I've never once heard you talk about her or praise her, or any Brazilian fighter but I have heard plenty of your bias and absurd negative rants toward them on a thousand different occasions.

Mark Hammer
August 25th, 2016, 2:05 PM
Good for you and thanks for making this about me. But you'll find I have always been a huge supporter of Conor's and have always found great disdain in his obnoxious naysayers. Maybe thats why I enjoyed the 13 second KO? Nah you're right, its probably 'cause 'murica.

Nash Diesel
August 25th, 2016, 2:07 PM
Good for you and thanks for making this about me. But you'll find I have always been a huge supporter of Conor's and have always found great disdain in his obnoxious naysayers. Maybe thats why I enjoyed the 13 second KO? Nah you're right, its because 'murica.

No, YOU make it about you, did you see your posts upon return last week, almost nothing but negativity. We've done this dance enough over the years but as it pertains to your feelings about fighters from Brazil, it's almost always if not always negative. That's why we all joke about how if someone says "Weidman's win over Silva was a fluke both times" we know you'll come out of your cave to rant about it lol. There's plenty more examples.

Mark Hammer
August 25th, 2016, 2:12 PM
Calm down and shut up about me please. Im sorry I like Conor McGregor.

Nash Diesel
August 26th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Calm down and shut up about me please. Im sorry I like Conor McGregor.

It has nothing to do with you liking McGregor. I like McGregor as well, get over yourself lol.

Anyway....Here's a good article from a month ago about GSP saing he could EASILY fight at 155 upon return if he wanted to..

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/26/12025798/georges-st-pierre-says-he-could-easily-fight-at-lightweight-in-ufc