PDA

View Full Version : UFC 201 LAWLER V. WOODLEY

Nash Diesel
July 27th, 2016, 12:09 PM
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56b4e0941bbee005800df6e8/t/573b8c469f726626705d4db8/1463520337238/UFC+201+Robbie+Lawler

LIVE! July 30th, 2016 from Atlanta GA at the Philips Arena

Main Card

Main Event:
UFC Welterweight Title
Robbie Lawler (c) v. Tyron Woodley

Rose Namajunas v, Karolina Kowalkiewicz (SW)
Matt Brown v. Jake Ellenberger (WW)
Francisco Rivera v. Erik Perez (BW)
Ian McCall v. Justin Scoggins (FLW)

Prelims:
Ed Herman v. Nikita Krylov (LHW)
Ross Pearson v. Jorge Masvidal (WW)
Anthony Hamilton v. Damian Grabowski (HW)
Wilson Reis v. Hector Sandoval (FLW)

Fight Pass Prelims:
Michael Graves v. Bojan Velickovic
Ryan Benoit v. Fredy Serrano
Cesar Arzamendia v. Damien Brown

Kind of a tough card to sell when you look at the last 3-4 ppvs plus the next couple that follow. The main event doesn't really do much for me but I've never really been a big Tyron fan. The main card has some potential bangers like Brown-Ellenberger, well there's no "potential" about that I think the "just bleed" fans will be warm for this one :) Prelims actually have a couple good fights with Ed Herman v. Nikita and Jorge v. Ross. Would I buy this? Nope. It's barely a FOX card. Even if the FLW title was still on the card it just doesn't do much for me compared to what we've seen and what we're going to be getting next.

Percussion
July 27th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Woodley seems like such a good guy ... but I hope Robbie knocks his block off. This is Lawler's time, and Ruthless vs Wonderboy is the fight for the division.

Nash Diesel
July 27th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I agree. I don't want to say that Woodley doesn't deserve the shot, but he's coming off a 19 month lay off and he's on a 2 fight winning streak against 2 guys who weren't even ranked in the top 10 at the time. But the UFC promised him a title shot due to the Hendricks fight falling through and I guess props to them for sticking to their word.....I just think that Wonderboy v. Lawler would have been a much easier sell considering the previous ppvs and the next ppvs. UFC 201 is going to struggle but we'll see. You never know how good a card is until it happens.

Mark Hammer
July 27th, 2016, 1:55 PM
Can you say meh?

Nash Diesel
July 27th, 2016, 1:57 PM
Can you say meh?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0hRsJEQ_hBzChRi2IRuEq5rmvXGBxY 11xVbDuk0V4b4nN68vCcA

Mark Hammer
July 27th, 2016, 1:58 PM
Woodley seems like such a good guy ... but I hope Robbie knocks his block off. This is Lawler's time, and Ruthless vs Wonderboy is the fight for the division.

It should be Condit's time actually because he beat Lawler decisively their last go-around.

So we have a champ who lost handily his last fight vs someone who has been out over a year and is only fighting for the belt because Fat Hendricks missed weight. Joy.

Percussion
July 27th, 2016, 2:05 PM
No argument at all with Condit being at the very top of this group.

Mik
July 27th, 2016, 2:07 PM
I'm not sure that condit beats wonderboy, but it makes for a great match.

Cant see how any time Lawler fights could be meh for anyone. He never has bad fights.

Nash Diesel
July 27th, 2016, 2:15 PM
It should be Condit's time actually because he beat Lawler decisively their last go-around.

So we have a champ who lost handily his last fight vs someone who has been out over a year and is only fighting for the belt because Fat Hendricks missed weight. Joy.

I actually just watched the Condit-Lawler fight twice in the last month, once on Fight Pass once on Fox Sports, and I can definitely see giving the win to either guy but Lawler getting the nod wasn't a robbery or anything. Condit was lucky to even get that fight with his one win over #15 Thiago Alves.....And Condit is hands down my favorite fighter next to BJ Penn so I say that with love and respect to the guy. Should he have been given a rematch? Sure, but not after what Wonderboy did to Hendricks and what Wonderboy did to Rory.

No argument at all with Condit being at the very top of this group.

Thumbs up. But still, I would say Wonderboy should have been given the shot and then they could have done a rematch between Condit and Woodley.

I'm not sure that condit beats wonderboy, but it makes for a great match.

Cant see how any time Lawler fights could be meh for anyone. He never has bad fights.

For me it's not really the fight but the whole card itself on paper compared to what we've been given pretty much since last December and we're getting after this card.

Mark Hammer
July 27th, 2016, 2:17 PM
Not meh in the sense that it will be boring (his rematch vs Johnny sure as hell was though and I can see Woodly implementing a similar gameplan) but meh in the sense that this should not be a WW title fight and certainly not a ppv main event.

Mark Hammer
July 27th, 2016, 2:20 PM
Granted I only saw it once I was very passionate in my belief that Condit won 4 rounds, 3 of them clearly, vs Lawler.

Mark Hammer
July 27th, 2016, 2:23 PM
Also count me in for Condit/Wonderboy one day.

Mik
July 27th, 2016, 2:29 PM
The lawler rematch with Hendricks wasn't boring at all. It had Robbie finally overcoming Hendricks trying to beat him by hanging on to his legs by smashing elbows and fists into him during the takedown attempt in round 4 while screaming and one of the most thrilling finishes to any fight, then the stalk down of Hendricks. Lawler stole his soul that fight and look at how he has been since.

Mark Hammer
July 27th, 2016, 3:12 PM
The finishing sequence was the ONLY thing about that fight that wasn't boring. Most of the 25 minutes was Johny burying his head in Robbie's crotch against the cage.

Also, and I hate to admit this because I can't stand Johny Hendricks, but he technically should have had his hand raised. Im glad he didn't, but still.

OD50
July 28th, 2016, 2:55 AM
Pretty uninspiring card. Really hope Lawler wins and Thug Rose is usually entertaining.

Fanny Batter
July 28th, 2016, 1:48 PM
Robbie's had a lot of tough, close fights since he's been back. He's shipped a lot of punches. I see Woodley being the faster fight early, hurting Robbie, forcing him to trade and knocking him out. Hope I'm wrong because this Terminator run from Lawler has been amazing, but chins only last so long and his overdue getting checked.

Rest of the card should be entertaining if light on relevance. Mostly action fighters.

Mik
July 28th, 2016, 2:39 PM
I worry the same too.

Nash Diesel
July 28th, 2016, 2:49 PM
I think what's going to help both men is that they train together. They know the weaknesses, they know what the other is improving on and what they can exploit. Can Woodley's gas tank last? I don't know. He thinks people question his gas tank because he's black (look it up) but he looks like he's one USADA test away from pissing me off.

Mik
July 28th, 2016, 2:54 PM
Nah, they don't train together. Same team, different bases. Woodley aphis barely ever trained at coconut creek and by all accounts lawler pretty much never trains anywhere else.

Nash Diesel
July 28th, 2016, 3:21 PM
ahh ok. I guess I thought they trained together because they kept talking about how they train together. Guess they kind of glossed over that they don't train together daily.

kangus
July 29th, 2016, 8:51 AM
Justin Scoggins is out of his fight against Ian McCall. Apparently it's weight related.

Nash Diesel
July 29th, 2016, 9:50 AM
Justin Scoggins is out of his fight against Ian McCall. Apparently it's weight related.

What's "weird" is that the weigh ins are today and as of yesterday he was 6lbs. over the limit (132, he needs to be no heavier than 126). But he must be completely shut down to back out and not keep trying to cut that extra 6. Missing weight is by far in the top 2 most disrespectful things you could do, right under no showing. Unprofessional.

kangus
July 29th, 2016, 11:11 AM
And in an interview yesterday poor Ian McCall said he was living with his parents because it really helps out financially with raising his child since he hasn't fought for so long. I hope the UFC take care of him.

Mik
July 29th, 2016, 11:19 AM
What's "weird" is that the weigh ins are today and as of yesterday he was 6lbs. over the limit (132, he needs to be no heavier than 126). But he must be completely shut down to back out and not keep trying to cut that extra 6. Missing weight is by far in the top 2 most disrespectful things you could do, right under no showing. Unprofessional.

Where does taking PEDs come on your list?

Nash Diesel
July 29th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Where does taking PEDs come on your list?

#3.

Mik
July 29th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Haha, I'd have to put it at number 2.

Nash Diesel
July 29th, 2016, 11:41 AM
All 3 are the worst lol.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2016, 12:39 PM
THIS IS IN THE TOP 2 THINGS OF BEING DISRESPECTFUL BUT ALSO THE 3RD THING IS THE WORST LOL

Mark Hammer
July 29th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Missing weight is bad but more irresponsible than 'disrespectful'. It's not worse than cheating.

Mark Hammer
July 29th, 2016, 11:57 PM
ahh ok. I guess I thought they trained together because they kept talking about how they train together. Guess they kind of glossed over that they don't train together daily.

Yeah they're both under the (large) ATT banner but Robbie has claimed that they rarely train together.

Beer-Belly
July 31st, 2016, 12:24 AM
Well, holy shit.

Mark Hammer
July 31st, 2016, 12:30 AM
Gorgeous KO. I'm happy for Woodley. Robbie's a beast but he was an absolute fluke champ. Won the belt via bs decision, lost his last two fights decisively.

Eddie Brock
July 31st, 2016, 12:50 AM
People have been saying all those wars are eventually going to catch up with him.

Mark Hammer
July 31st, 2016, 1:13 AM
I dont know if that KO punch was the result of Robbie becoming chinny though. Tyron blasted him right on the chin. I think being a slightly above average fighter with a fan/judge friendly style is what caught up to him.

Nash Diesel
August 1st, 2016, 9:45 AM
170 is one of if not the deepest, most well rounded divisions in MMA period. There are a lot of close wins in that division at the top. Calling Lawler a fluke champion is pretty disrespectful to the depth of talent that he's fighting against.

Nash Diesel
August 1st, 2016, 10:22 AM
And what does Matt Brown have to do to harden up the body? Practically every single fight he's in, once he gets hit in the body, it's a long night lol. Ellenberger, that was a huge win for him, only his 2nd win in his last 7 fights. And this was a guy who at one point I was like shit he could be fighting for the belt one day soon. Beat the fuck out of Carlos Condit. So yeah, good win for him but sad to see Brown lose because he's amazing to watch. Just needs to get some adamantium so he can survive those body shots.

Spedizzo
August 1st, 2016, 11:40 AM
People were saying all those wars were going to catch up if he got KO'd, or they were going to say he is a beast if he won and was durable

Was his chin weaker when Nick Diaz KO'd him stiff 100 years ago?

It's all hearsay

Woodley blasted him... lets see how Lawler does in his next fight. If he gets rocked and knocked easily then yeah, his chin is prolly fucked and he is mentally broken

If Thompson doesn't get Woodley in his next fight, Thompson vs. Lawler is probably the fight to make, and honestly, I favor Thompson quite a bit in that one

Nash Diesel
August 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM
I see no other option other than Woodley v. Thompson UNLESS GSP comes back. They're not going to put GSP in a non-title fight at 170 just in case someone pulls a Joe Lauzon-Jens Pulver to him. Wonderboy has earned that shot, more than Woodley himself, so I would love love love to see Woodley v. Wonderboy in November-December for sure. If not sooner.

Mark Hammer
August 2nd, 2016, 9:14 PM
170 is one of if not the deepest, most well rounded divisions in MMA period. There are a lot of close wins in that division at the top. Calling Lawler a fluke champion is pretty disrespectful to the depth of talent that he's fighting against.

This is a pretty stupid load of shit. Calling him a fluke champ is acknowledging his bullshit 'wins' over the prior champ and a couple of his challengers.

Mik
August 3rd, 2016, 4:50 AM
Lawler wasn't a fluke champion. He just had close fights, but then it's a close division with a lot of talent, he knocked out the number one contender (it doesn't matter whether Rory was winning or not, it was a close fight until Rory lit him up and turned the tide with a couple of kicks, but Ronbie had been putting cash in the banks with his one-twos to Rory's nose all night. I must've watched that fight maybe a dozen times). I don't think that his chin is gone necessarily, he just played into Woodleys game too much, he planted his feet, stopped moving and allowed Woodley to feint him onto his power right. Stupid from Lawler considering how much his game really has improved. He shouldn't have even bothered moving from the feint, Woodley NEVER throws the left with any menace or power, might as well just let him throw those, it's always the right. If he had watched the Dan Hardy breakdown he would've known that.

I dont blame Woodley for wanting the big fights, but I don't think he's going to get GSP or Diaz. I think he's going to get Wonderboy.

Mik
August 3rd, 2016, 4:51 AM
This is a pretty stupid load of shit. Calling him a fluke champ is acknowledging his bullshit 'wins' over the prior champ and a couple of his challengers.

You not agreeing with things doesn't make you correct. You need to be able to understand things beyond your own personal opinions.

Nash Diesel
August 3rd, 2016, 10:01 AM

His wins weren't bullshit. They were close and they were legendary fights for the most part. I didn't think anyone was ROBBED. They were just ultra competitive and close. We're not talking Bisping-Hamill decisions or even BJ Penn-Edgar 1 decisions. A fluke champ is someone like Matt Serra, no disrespect, but his record showed he was not an elite level fighter before and after the GSP win. Robbie Lawler, he had some ups and downs but his return to the UFC has been anything but a fluke. Again, the disrespect you are showing and not respecting the depth of the division where you're going to get close fucking fights, it's unwarranted. I get you are passionate, so am I, but to me it's just disrespectful toward Lawler and who he's fought and what he's accomplished.

Nash Diesel
August 3rd, 2016, 1:32 PM
Mugs....feel free to vist the GSP thread I started but I want to keep this one particular item in this thread because it pertains to Woodley.

Why, on God's green Earth, did he call out Nick Diaz? Motherfucker hasn't won a fight in 5 years lol.

And Idk about you guys, but I am fucking sick to death with the call outs. It's getting so bad that MMA sites are doing articles about how annoying it's become. Especially when everyone from 125 to HW call out Conor McGregor lol. But it also doesn't help when someone asks them who'd they like to fight next as it seems to be some WWE approach to match making. It really pissed me off when Woodley did it. GSP, whatever. He's been rumored to return for awhile so it's understandable. But Nick fucking Diaz? Fuck off Woodley.

Spedizzo
August 3rd, 2016, 2:38 PM
I am more bothered by the fact that Tyron Woodley thinks he is in a position to call out

I have never been excited about a Tyron Woodley fight

especially when he calls out Diaz because he knows he will just take down Diaz and lay and pray because the Diaz brothers refuse to train in wrestling

Nash Diesel
August 3rd, 2016, 2:42 PM
Woodley honestly is one of the last dudes in top 5-10 of any division that should be making any claims to anything. He was GIFTED a fucking title shot, and props to him for making the most of it as he's not a terrible fighter or anything he's real good. But come on....Luck against Condit, last win was against Kelvin Gastelum over 16 months ago prior to the Lawler win. He was given a shot because he beat Hendricks on the scale. Wonderboy beat the fuck out of Rory and Hendricks, the top 2 guys that weren't the champ.

Percussion
August 3rd, 2016, 6:27 PM
Think Woodley is just looking for a big payday and, right or wrong, he feels Diaz brings that.

Nash Diesel
August 4th, 2016, 9:09 AM
Think Woodley is just looking for a big payday and, right or wrong, he feels Diaz brings that.

I think that's pretty obvious. Doesn't take away from the fact that it's stupid and 100% wrong to be throwing Diaz's name out there when A-the guy hasn't won a fight in 5 years and B-it's completely disrespectful toward top ranked guys like Wonderboy. This shit, people calling out others, people like Dan Henderson getting a title shot because 6-7 years ago he knocked out Bisping and now they're holding up ANOTHER division for these stupid fucking fights. Yeah I'm also talking about McGregor v. Nate Diaz.

I mean don't get me wrong, if belts weren't involved, as a match maker, as a fan, I'd be more interested in putting those fights together and seeing those fights than holding up divisions and giving title shots to people who don't deserve them at all no matter how you spin it. I don't see Nick Diaz as a money fight because even the biggest fans of him would have to think it's bullshit he'd get a title shot based on beating BJ Penn in 2011 and saying weird shit that is inaudible 90% of the time.......The mug already was gifted a title shot against GSP to get owned for 5 rounds, laid on the ground against Silva, he's done zero but serve a suspension in 2 years.

Percussion
August 4th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Why, on God's green Earth, did he call out Nick Diaz?

I think that's pretty obvious.

Yes, of course.

Nash Diesel
August 4th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Rhetorical question lol. Kind of. I mean he THINKS it's a big payday but is it really? Does Nick Diaz truly hold any drawing power? Fighting GSP will always draw big numbers but even then that was over 3 years ago. Woodley could have called out Royce Gracie and had the same result lol.

Spedizzo
August 5th, 2016, 7:58 AM
Diaz has drawing power.

After Nate beat Conor and become a mini-superstar himself, Nick's name I assume only went up in value.

His last couple of fights in the UFC haven't been wins, but look who he fought and how the fights went down. GSP did what GSP does, and Condit fought one of the most cautious fights ever.

The Anderson Silva fight technically doesn't count anymore since it is a No Contest, but even so, he fought a pound for pound great who was juicing at a higher weight class and stood in his face for 5 rounds.

Diaz brothers really do have that cult following where win or lose, people are invested in their fight style, lifestyle, and awkward personalities.

And besides, someone drugged him for his fight against GSP anyway!

http://deadspin.com/nate-diaz-on-2013-loss-to-georges-st-pierre-somebody-1784714433

Some more Nick Diaz/Woodley news:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/4/12382568/ufc-mma-news-nick-diaz-fires-shots-tyron-woodley-social-media

GSP/Woodley betting lines have opened up, and GSP is a slight favorite.

GSP has tons of ring rust, I believe will have his wrestling neutralized by Woodley, and I think I would even give Woodley a slight advantage in the stand up over GSP as well - in power at least. GSP's advantage is getting past the first 2 rounds, because Woodley tends to gas afterwards. If it becomes a wrestling match, Woodley will have to use a lot of energy throughout.

Nash Diesel
August 5th, 2016, 11:48 AM
1 win in 5 years does not warrant a title shot. That's all I'm going to say. Don't care how you slice it. This gifted title shots are fucking absurd. The message is, be a complete fucking idiot and never win=title shot lol. Woodley shouldn't even be champion, what did he do to deserve a title shot over Wonderboy?

GSP I totally get. Even though he's been gone for almost 3 years, I totally get it even if I personally think he should get a "warm up" just like Dom Cruz when he fought Mizugaki and killed him lol. Diaz....The dude hasn't won a fight in 5 years, been suspended for 2 years, will no fucking doubt fail another drug test because he "don't give a fuck". It's a complete waste of time. Woodley, he doesn't want to be a real champion. He's calling out 2 dudes who haven't fought in 2+ years lol. There's a laundry list of contenders like Wonderboy, Maia, Condit, even Lawler, all waiting for a piece and this dunce is calling out people who aren't even fighting. What's next, calling out Royce? Tito Ortiz? Chuck Liddell????