PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo Slice just died from heart failure.

Mark Hammer
June 7th, 2016, 12:18 AM
I'm not making this up.

MikeHunt
June 7th, 2016, 12:26 AM
The greatest and the shitest gone in the same week.

Percussion
June 7th, 2016, 12:39 AM
There've been shittier fighters than Slice, but the irony is readily apparent.

Like I said in the MMA thread though, this is terrible. He was by all accounts a good friend, training partner, and family man. And to parlay street fighter notoriety into mass marketable pro success is actually pretty incredible. Hats off to the man for making a go at it and earning. Again, just very sad. 42 is tragically early.

Eddie Brock
June 7th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Sad. Dude seemed too big for his body if that makes sense.

MikeHunt
June 7th, 2016, 12:42 AM
did he not pop for PED after his last "fight"?

Mark Hammer
June 7th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Speaking of irony he won his last fight due to opponent exhaustion; Dada 5000 would be hospitalized thanks to a heart attack suffered during the bout. Maybe not irony so much as two fat shits fighting each other but it's still noteworthy imo.

Slutty McWhoreface
June 7th, 2016, 1:08 AM
Neither one of those slobs should have stepped foot in an MMA cage.

kangus
June 7th, 2016, 1:14 AM
You can certainly take your shot at Kimbo Slice. He obviously was not, even by his own admission, a technician of any sort. However there is no doubt he was extremely popular and left his mark on the MMA landscape in ways beyond (or in spite of) his in-cage performances and that's the most important takeaway from his career.

Clive Plasma
June 7th, 2016, 4:45 AM
There was talk of him going over to WWE at some point; http://www.wwe.com/article/was-kimbo-slice-almost-wwe-superstar

Hero!
June 7th, 2016, 8:49 AM
Wow. I wonder what backlash there will be on Bellator when both fighters in one of their main events died. Dada came back, sure, but dead he was

Nash Diesel
June 7th, 2016, 1:15 PM
RIP Kimbo Slice. Very entertaining, he would have been awesome in the WWE for sure!

Seanny One Ball
June 7th, 2016, 1:53 PM
This is a shame, I liked Kimbo for what it's worth.

I did not like his 15 minute game of ring a ring a roses with Houston Alexander though. That was begging to be sped up to Yakety Sax.

Nash Diesel
June 7th, 2016, 1:54 PM
This is a shame, I liked Kimbo for what it's worth.

I did not like his 15 minute game of ring a ring a roses with Houston Alexander though. That was begging to be sped up to Yakety Sax.

That fight should have been over in the first round after that Kimbo Plex lol.

OD50
June 8th, 2016, 8:33 AM
Most watched MMA fight ever in the US (vs. James Thompson/7.3 million).
Most watched episode/fight in TUF history (vs. Roy Nelson).
Part of most watched season of TUF ever.
Most watched fights in Bellator history (vs. Dada/Ken Shamrock).
Biggest live gate in Bellator history (vs. Dada).
Largest Bellator crowd ever (Bellator 149).

Impressive stuff for a guy who started to train MMA at 30+.

Spedizzo
June 8th, 2016, 8:46 AM
I remember being in my friend's basement in like 2007 when I was 18 or so and watching his videos on youtube before he ever went into MMA and thinking he was so awesome.

I think everyone deep down always liked Kimbo and wanted to see him do well, despite MMA purists bashing the fuck out of him (as they do all big stars).

The guy obviously wasn't a well rounded fighter, but he had pretty good boxing, heavy hands, and worked hard.

His muscular frame caused major issue with his cardio after round 1 and I think it is quite obvious that anabolic steroids were at play throughout his career.

He always seemed like a decent guy, and people like Ariel Hewani are pretty devastated by the loss of Kimbo so he seems like he was genuinely a humble guy later on in his career. Sad loss in MMA.

Spedizzo
June 8th, 2016, 8:52 AM
Really good article on Kimbo Slice:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/07/kimbo-slice-miami-sleaze-american-racism.html

OD50
June 8th, 2016, 8:58 AM
For all it's technical shortcomings, how often do you hear a crowd this loud?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNIoobk1N68

Seanny One Ball
June 8th, 2016, 1:13 PM
He always seemed like a decent guy, and people like Ariel Hewani are pretty devastated by the loss of Kimbo so he seems like he was genuinely a humble guy later on in his career. Sad loss in MMA.

I've never seen a single interview where he was anything less than a humble, nice bloke. :yes:

He was easily the worst fighter besides Caol Uno in the UFC video games though. They really did not rate him in that game.

Mark Hammer
June 8th, 2016, 6:15 PM
I've never seen a single interview where he was anything less than a humble, nice bloke. :yes:

He was easily the worst fighter besides Caol Uno in the UFC video games though. They really did not rate him in that game.
Werdum was fucking awful in UFC Undisputed 2.

Nash Diesel
June 9th, 2016, 1:38 PM
For all it's technical shortcomings, how often do you hear a crowd this loud?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNIoobk1N68

I just showed my youngest son who didn't know who Kimbo was this fight last night. The crowd was on fire for this win.