PDA

View Full Version : Sports Podcasts/Talk Shows/Media

Fro
June 1st, 2016, 9:07 AM
Who do you listen to when you want to hear people talking about sports? This could be podcasts, radio or TV.

I want to throw out a best new podcast candidate which I think everyone should check out: Pardon My Take. This is a 3-times a week podcast with 2 Barstool Sports guys. Barstool is a Boston based site but neither of these guys are Boston fans, it's Big Cat (Chicago guy) and PFT Commenter (Texas guy I think). Side note both of these guys are great follows on twitter for general sports stuff. Their podcast is really funny and they get pretty good (sometimes obscure) guests. Check it out.

That's pretty much my main listen right now. I'm not a big Bill Simmons guy, I don't love him and I don't hate him, so I'll listen to his podcast only when there's an interesting guest on.

I also enjoy Mike & Mike on ESPN radio in the morning here and there.

Any recommendations?

Also, which sports media personalities do you love/hate?

Kneeneighbor
June 1st, 2016, 9:16 AM
The Common Man Dan Cole on 100.3 KFAN in Minneapolis.

_me
June 1st, 2016, 10:21 AM
I listen to 2 college football (Solid Verbal and The Audible), 1 NFL (Dave Dameshek Football Program) and 1 soccer (Football Ramble). I also listen to Simmons (and am trying the new Ringer ones but not that impressed so far).

Rancid_Planet
June 1st, 2016, 3:58 PM
First Take. Every day. I can never catch the show on tv so I listen to the podcast. One of them always pisses me off and I enjoy it. Great chemistry between those two big mouths as well. Shame Skip is leaving.

Chris Scott
June 1st, 2016, 4:17 PM
Around the NFL, a Dolphins, New York Knicks, Boston Red Sox and LFC ones. ESPN fantasy football and college football.

Chris Scott
June 1st, 2016, 4:18 PM
At home on tv I watch PTI and Around the Horn.

Rancid_Planet
June 1st, 2016, 4:19 PM
At home on tv I watch PTI and Around the Horn.

I also listen to those shows in podcast form. ATH is weird because you can't see the scores but you get to hear Tony's dinger button go off every two seconds.

Rancid_Planet
June 1st, 2016, 4:20 PM
Fucking double post.

So I'll just say. BOOBS.

Chris Scott
June 1st, 2016, 4:21 PM
Yeah I started on podcast form too but then seen they were on tv, wash weird with that horn going off

LOCONUT
June 1st, 2016, 5:18 PM
What's your fantasy sports report was the sickest but those guys retired.

Cewsh
June 1st, 2016, 6:02 PM
Fantasy Football Today
Fantasy Baseball Today
The Lowe Post
The Starters
Move The Sticks
Mike and Mike (sometimes)

Fro
June 1st, 2016, 6:14 PM
First Take. Every day. I can never catch the show on tv so I listen to the podcast. One of them always pisses me off and I enjoy it. Great chemistry between those two big mouths as well. Shame Skip is leaving.

Yeah I enjoy them too although I don't watch/listen very often. They're good at what they do and it's too bad Skip is jumping ship. Fox Sports 1 is really making a go at ESPN here but I can never even find it on the cable dial.

I forget if we talked bout this in the NFL thread but I LOVE that Randy Moss and Charles Woodson are replacing Ray Lewis and Cris Carter on ESPN NFL countdown.

Rancid_Planet
June 1st, 2016, 7:01 PM
I get a little tired of Ray Lewis'ssss nonsense and the way Chris Carter pronounces the word "footbaw" drives me insane. The change is greatly appreciated.

Tyson
June 1st, 2016, 10:06 PM
I worked as a delivery driver for seven years, became a huge Jim Rome fan.

Rancid_Planet
June 1st, 2016, 10:15 PM
It's not Ryan it's Ryne!

When I was doing delivery work at night I fell in love with JT the Brick and Ben Maller. Ben is the fucking king of late night sports radio.

Percussion
June 1st, 2016, 11:54 PM
Lance Zierlein locally is terrific. His dad was an oline coach for the 70's Steelers and he's absorbed a wealth of knowledge that he's able to convey very well.

Listened to SVP & Rusillo regularly. Still listen to Rusillo & Kanell, and while Danny can be kinda wooden Ryen is always solid.

Love ATH & PTI. Great hour of sports rundown.

Used to be a fan of Cowherd. His move out west has done a number on him though. Oh well.

Like the Dan Le Batard show. His whiny voice is nails on a chalk board, but he tends to lean in directions I often see similarly.

Mike & Mike is tough. They're good at what they do, clearly. I just don't like the manly man vs metro dweeb schtick. It's too much, often.

First Take is a fucking abomination. It's the National Enquirer of sports media. Just utter guttershit.

Rancid_Planet
June 2nd, 2016, 2:57 AM
I love First Take but I'll be the first to admit that I probably watch it for the same reason people watched Springer.

Kneeneighbor
June 2nd, 2016, 8:57 AM
I always enjoyed Scott Ferrall late at night.

Fro
June 2nd, 2016, 1:21 PM
I really dislike Bomani Jones. Or rather, I really dislike The Bomani Jones show. He's fine in small doses like when he used to be a guest on LeBetard or when he's on Around the Horn. But his radio show is so bad and it stinks that it's on during the evening commute. He needs a partner because he stinks at being a solo host. Half the time I flip it on and it's dead air because he leaves long pauses when he's talking to himself.

Hero!
June 2nd, 2016, 4:15 PM
Boomer & Carton is on all morning at work, Mike's On in the afternoons. My coworkers also love to throw on awful baseball talk shows all day and it bores the shit out of me.

Spedizzo
June 3rd, 2016, 9:14 AM
"OK Golic… If the Jets don’t win this weekend, I will wear a Patriots jersey all day Monday. But if they do… You have to wear my Jets hat!"

Mike & Mike = awful pre-commercial teases, commercials, and back and forth jabs about how one is a feminine vegan and the other is a brawny carnivore. Oh and sometimes Chris Carter will come on the show and give us all some words of wisdom too. :wanker:

I used to listen to them on SiriusXM every morning on the way to work, but I had enough of them. They are ESPN schills who talk about nothing that you couldn't conjure up on your own without even being knowledgeable of the sport. I am convinced they know absolutely nothing about any sport and just read historical statistics that some intern hands off to them.

If you want to listen to someone who will give you a real opinion and then takes calls from people agreeing/disagreeing and also gets big time guests to come on his show, listen to Chris "Mad Dog" Russo on Mad Dog Radio on SiriusXM. He is on during the afternoons, I think 3 or 4PM EST. You will either love or hate his voice, but he is an awesome radio personality.

Fro
June 3rd, 2016, 9:36 AM
I like Mike & Mike but I know a lot of people don't. It's vanilla, they're not exactly in the hot take business, but they're just good at what they do and it's a very crisp show. I'm not going to listen to their "best of" podcast but since they're on locally I flip to them on my morning commute for 15-20 minutes. I like a traditional show like theirs in the morning where I'm just getting recaps and broad reactions to yesterday's sporting events. 8AM is too early for rants/comedy bits/hot takes. But beside that, I think Greeny is a great broadcaster and Golic is good enough in the ex-player role. Most ex-players stink when they get daily radio shows but he's gotten good at it and their chemistry, while sometimes too cutesy, is hard to deny.

Pipkin
June 3rd, 2016, 7:35 PM
I generally listen to the best of Mike & Mike podcast and watch Around the Horn and PTI daily. Mike & Mike can be annoying at times, but I strongly disagree that they don't know anything about sports - that's just a dumb thing to say. Yeah, they ask absurd questions sometimes and frame things in odd ways to make a story, but that's what that type of show is. They definitely lean on the stereotypes too heavily though, and I usually zone out when they talk anything besides sports.

Fro
August 5th, 2016, 1:53 PM
I really can't stress enough that if you're into American sports and have a sense of humor, Pardon My Take is hysterical. It's my go-to podcast every Monday-Wednesday-Friday for my commute. For the most part they satire sports talk shows but they also have great guests and shoot the shit about non-sports stuff. Check it out:

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake

Anyone else on this already? I can't be the only one! It's ranked higher than the Bill Simmons podcast.

Chris Scott
August 5th, 2016, 2:22 PM
Never heard of that one, I'll give it s try.

Percussion
May 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM
So Mike & Mike are no mas.

Not bothered really as I was never an actual fan. But in all fairness after 17 years and basically becoming the framework for successful national sports radio broadcast ... well, just well done fellas and good luck with what's next.

Fro
May 26th, 2017, 9:30 PM
Make no mistake, Mike & Mike was a top notch show (or still is, though the chemistry may deteriorate now that Golic hates Greeny). I listen to it over the 2 local morning sports shows in Boston which both suck. This is sad news and while I think Greeny is a talented host, he shouldn't go solo. Plus for me at least, with him moving to TV I won't be able to watch. Drive time radio is important to me, morning TV isn't.

I will say that Trey Wingo is a good replacement. I'll probably still listen when that launches. Although it's hard to say if Trey can be good for 4 hours daily until he actually gets in there and does it.

Great sports radio hosts like Greeny don't grow on trees so it's sad he's moving to TV. That's the big loss here IMO, more so than the break up.