PDA

View Full Version : UFC 198 WERDUM V. MIOCIC

Nash Diesel
May 10th, 2016, 11:36 AM
https://sports-images.vice.com/images/2016/03/29/why-ufc-198-is-the-card-brazilians-have-been-waiting-for-body-image-1459268837.jpeg?output-quality=75

UFC 198
May 14th, 2016
Live! from Arena da Baixada in Curitiba Brazil

The card is fucking stacked. It's so stacked that Lil' Nog is on the Fight Pass prelims. I can't find one thing bad to say about this card. You have a great HW title fight, the debut of Cyborg, you have Anderson Silva going up against a guy who people were calling the next Anderson Silva. You have Vitor v. Jacare, Shogun is on the card, Maia v. Matt Brown should be awesome.

Eddie Brock
May 10th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I really wish Belfort/Silva II was in the co-main on this card instead

Dream-Evil
May 11th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Silva is out. Apparently requires gall bladder removal/surgery.

Eddie Brock
May 11th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Push Maia forward and Silva to 200, easy fix.

Nash Diesel
May 11th, 2016, 9:43 AM
Push Maia forward and Silva to 200, easy fix.

How long will Silva be out and Maia fights at 170 I don't think he's going to risk climbing toward a title shot at WW and fight Hall.

Percussion
May 11th, 2016, 11:09 AM
But it's an EASY fix Nash, der.

OD50
May 11th, 2016, 1:03 PM
Hall is also removed from 198. Guess they will try to do the Silva fight on a later date, depending on how long AS is out. Gall bladder surgery? No clue how serious that is.

Spedizzo
May 11th, 2016, 1:41 PM
The pain he had was pretty bad if he needed immediate surgery. It almost immobilizes you.

As for the surgery itself, it keeps you in the hospital for a couple days, and you can resume normal activities within 2 weeks.

He should be able to get back into training within a month or so I would imagine. I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to squeeze him on the UFC 200 card... although that is already stacked and would be cutting it close... so I would imagine UFC 201, 202 or so.

Nash Diesel
May 11th, 2016, 2:07 PM
Yeah they should wait until UFC 201. They just added TJ v. Rafael 2 for UFC 200.

Mark Hammer
May 11th, 2016, 4:16 PM
How long will Silva be out and Maia fights at 170 I don't think he's going to risk climbing toward a title shot at WW and fight Hall.

Surely he meant advance Maia/Brown from the prelims to the main card.

Nash Diesel
May 11th, 2016, 4:27 PM
Surely he meant advance Maia/Brown from the prelims to the main card.

I thought that at first but thenI thought maybe he didn't realize that Maia doesn't fight at 185 anymore. With so many damn fighters and people going up and down a weight class, or 3 in some cases, it's hard to keep up.

Eddie Brock
May 11th, 2016, 4:47 PM
Hammer is right.

Nash Diesel
May 11th, 2016, 4:50 PM
Hammer is right.

:yes:

Spedizzo
May 12th, 2016, 8:16 AM
Is Cyborg's fight on the main card? I thought it was, but on that graphic it is all the way at the bottom.

On Wikipedia it is on the main card, along with:

Welterweight - Warlley Alves vs. Bryan Barberena

Replacing the Anderson Silva/Uriah Hall fight.

I have no idea who those guys are.

Nash Diesel
May 12th, 2016, 8:57 AM
Is Cyborg's fight on the main card? I thought it was, but on that graphic it is all the way at the bottom.

She is on the main card.

Barberena is that dude who choked out Dana's poolboy Sage.

Mark Hammer
May 12th, 2016, 5:24 PM

Warley Alves is a monstrous undefeated prospect and Bryan Barberena's punishment for choking out Sage Northcutt.

And yes, Cyborg will be fighting on the main card.

Spedizzo
May 13th, 2016, 9:16 AM
Ok, my main card predictions (really bummed ever since Silva/Hall was called off):

Werdum vs. Miocic: I think Miocic will keep it on the feet, or Werdum will be ignorantly confident in his stand up to keep it on the feet himself and it will cost him. Miocic is a stud with some power, and I just have a feeling Werdum won't be able to take advantage of his elite grappling to get him the W. I hope I am wrong, but I see Miocic winning by TKO sometime before round 3.

Jacare vs. Belfort: The bookies have Jacare has a huge favorite which really caught me off guard. Are we going to get dad bod Vitor, or freak on a leash Belfort? In any case, if I was laying money on the fight I would probably go small on Vitor at those odds, but if I had a gun to my head I would probably pick Jacare to win. Belfort doesn't have the insane overwhelming blitz anymore due to age, new drug testing, whatever, and I can see Jacare out grappling Belfort enough to grind out a win. I say Jacare wins by decision.

Cris Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith: I know nothing about Leslie Smith. I feel like this fight was almost just made to showcase Cyborg in the UFC and start the Cyborg vs. whoever hype train afterwards. Cyborg by KO/TKO in round 1.

Shogun vs. Corey Anderson: I feel like anyone with arms and legs can beat Shogun these days... I don't know much about Corey Anderson though. He has decent record, and it looks more than capable of beating 34 year old Shogun. I would think Shogun maybe trained a little bit for this fight being that it is in his hometown of Curibita... so maybe he won't gas by the middle of round 2? And maybe his chin will hold up slightly? Although I have zero confidence in this pick, I am going to say Shogun wins by decision.

Warlley Alves vs. Bryan Barberena: Going only based on what I heard about the guy.... Warlley Alves by submission in round 2.

Matt Brown vs. Demian Maia: I can't help but feel like UFC is really trying to derail Demian Maia's ressurgence... and I wouldn't blame them. Boring, old, stale, etc. 4 good wins in a row and he is still on the undercard. Nevermind the fact that he is a big name and a former title contender. I can't help but feel like Demien Maia's little revival is sort of like Arlovski's... and that it will end the same way before any real recognition or title shot is given. I think Matt Brown will catch Demian Maia... probably in round 1 or 2 by KO.

Mark Hammer
May 13th, 2016, 12:35 PM
I've lost hardly any interest since Silva pulled out. This card is still stellar.

Nash Diesel
May 13th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Yeah Silva could very well wind up on UFC 200 or 201 so I'm cool with him not being on the card. There's so many names and good fights. I'm getting in the zone. Now that I have FIGHT PASS I was watching Cyborg v. Charmaine Tweet, that was brutal. Need to bust out the Pride GP that Shogun won, that was probably my favorite tournament Pride did and I've only seen like half of it.

OD50
May 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Werdum
Jacare
Cyborg
(Corey) Anderson
Maia

MTR
May 14th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Man I need to budget PPV money into my budget or find people to split it with. I would love to watch this. Maybe I can find a bar or something that is buying it and showing it.

Eddie Brock
May 14th, 2016, 2:15 PM
Werdum
Belfort
Shogun
Cyborg
Maia

Percussion
May 15th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Only caught half of Shogun onward ...

Cyborg looked like vintage chute box.

Jacare looked incredibly comfortable.

Werdum looked like a clown.

Eddie Brock
May 15th, 2016, 1:40 PM
Why was he running after him like that?! Ran right into that punch.

Mark Hammer
May 16th, 2016, 1:38 AM
Shogun/Anderson was a textbook draw. 10-9 Shogun, 10-9 Shogun (maybe), 10-8 Anderson.

And holy shit Miocic. He made Werdum look terrible.

Nash Diesel
May 16th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I don't know if you cats have read up on Matt Brown's time in Brazil but it was oh I don't know how do you say, interesting? Attacked by several fans, cheap shotted by a BJJ coach that I think he used to train with I don't recall.

Congrats to Stipe. I was shocked that he put Werdum out like that. I get that HW can go like that but Werdum has been holding his own against some world beaters.

Cyborg did what she was supposed to do. I don't know if we'll see her back in the UFC anytime soon, seems like this was a test run plus a way to get her on this card that she wanted on badly. To me it's the UFC extending the olive branch and to top it off she came in at 139lbs. so really all she'd have to do is cut an additional 3.5 pounds and she'd be good to go for a future title shot or 3 pounds and she's fighting at Bantamweight.

Who can deny Jacare? These motherfuckers on the post show were talking about MICHAEL BISPING possibly getting a nod over him. Because he beat Anderson, barely. Jacare for sure deserves the next title shot if you ask me. He's not exactly on a winning streak but he should've been given a shot awhile ago.

Percussion
May 16th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I don't know if you cats have read up on Matt Brown's time in Brazil but it was oh I don't know how do you say, interesting? Attacked by several fans, cheap shotted by a BJJ coach that I think he used to train with I don't recall.

Just reading up on this stuff, and it's pretty out of there.

Here's his ex-coach, Rodrigo Botti, getting womped by a friend of Brown's (Vinicius “Pequeno” Lemos) for allegedly trying to sucker punch Brown sometime after the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1Z2N5LCFo

Kinda sounds like Goldy behind the cellcam. Probably not though.

Only in Brazil?

Nash Diesel
May 16th, 2016, 1:18 PM
Brown is one of my favorite fighters, not only to watch but just the wild shit he says outside of the Octagon that has gotten him into trouble (such as his comments about WMMA). With that said, the balls on this guy to roll up to weigh ins, double middle fingers to a gigantic audience, Gracie's turning over in their graves left and right, I really have no idea why Brown did this especially when I can't imagine it's because he doesn't like Brazil considering one of his long time trainers were Jorge Gurgel but again, I don't know the situation because it seems like it was more than just him trying to play the role of a bad guy. And I loved that Maia-Brown fight. Maia really shows you what a ground fight SHOULD look like. He showed that you can have a fight happen on the ground for 15 minutes and it be just as entertaining as a stand up war (or close to it).

Mark Hammer
May 17th, 2016, 1:53 PM
With that said, the balls on this guy to roll up to weigh ins, double middle fingers to a gigantic audience, Gracie's turning over in their graves left and right, I really have no idea why Brown did this especially when I can't imagine it's because he doesn't like Brazil considering one of his long time trainers were Jorge Gurgel but again, I don't know the situation because it seems like it was more than just him trying to play the role of a bad guy.

Genuinely not sure if serious. They were chanting "YOU WILL DIE" and being antagonistic in general (to a man finishing a weight cut), so he flips the bird and you think Brown was the bad guy?

Nash Diesel
May 17th, 2016, 1:55 PM
I said it seemed like there was more to the situation and that Brown wasn't just playing to the crowd. I'm also saying "the balls on this guy" as a positive. If that were me I'd be like, what the fuck is going to happen to me if I do this? lol.