PDA

View Full Version : What Sports Do You Watch?

The Law
April 22nd, 2016, 1:53 PM
Kind of curious what and how much everybody watches.

-Saturdays and Sundays in the fall are football all day for me. Also watch the Thursday and Monday NFL games and random college games throughout the week. I watch a fair number of old college football games too, just about everything you could want to see is on Youtube now.

-Sort of a casual NHL/NBA fan. Watch some Pistons and Red Wings games, watch the playoffs for both. Will watch bits of the regular season national TV games.

-Watch all Michigan State basketball games, not super into the rest of college basketball. Watch the NCAA Tournament, regular season isn't of a ton of interest.

-Don't watch a ton of baseball. Watch the Tigers in the summer, that's about it.

-I watch the big UFC pay-per-views. Will watch some of the Fox cards if I don't have anything else to do. Watch some boxing too, not something I follow super close though.

-I watch the majors in golf.

I really don't watch quite as much sports as I used to. When I was younger I would watch every Pistons and Red Wings game. Don't really have the interest or the ability to do that anymore.

G-Fresh
April 22nd, 2016, 2:20 PM
I watch Pistons and Cubs games. Maybe a Rams or Dolphins game once in a while. I watch UFC and boxing if somebody I like is fighting.

G-Fresh
April 22nd, 2016, 2:48 PM
and I also watch Magic tournaments online. I consider it a sport cause it used to be on ESPN.

Eddie Brock
April 22nd, 2016, 5:40 PM
I watch wrestling. I don't want to hear any arguments that it isn't a sport. Save that for another thread.

I don't watch any other sport much. I'll watch a game or two. I enjoy watching basketball and football on occasion. I prefer to watch baseball live. I'd watch boxing or MMA, but you need to pay.

People tend to call me out for being a fake fan when I'm cheering as hard as I can for home teams, because I'm not familiar with the players and other trivial information. Especially when it's a finals game and I'm into it all of a sudden. It's true, I suddenly transform into the biggest fan. All other sports bore me, just a bunch of guys running up and down a court/field with a ball for hours on end.

Fro
April 22nd, 2016, 5:45 PM
Wrestling isn't a sport, it's a soap opera with gymnastics spliced in

Kdestiny
April 22nd, 2016, 6:05 PM
NFL, NCAA Football and Basketball, MLB, NBA, Golf.

I watch UFC when I can and Hockey every once in a while. I used to fall asleep watching ESPN and wake up and watch it before I had to leave.

Hero!
April 22nd, 2016, 7:49 PM
- UFC & Bellator. Don't really seek outside MMA promotions like I do with wrestling.

- NHL & AHL hockey. Watch most Islanders games and hit up several Sound Tigers games a year.

- Getting a little into basketball. My co-workers are huge basketball fans and we watch a lot of highlights at work. I may start following next season.

- I hate baseball, but the guys I work with throw it on every afternoon, so I've started watching it again. Used to be a HUGE Yankees fan when I was a kid and went to several games a year. Go yanks, I guess.

- NFL during the season. Honestly enjoy it for fantasy football more.

- Started following chess this year. Started playing a lot too, so it's really fun to follow. Gonna go to a world championship match later this year.

- League of legends tournaments. Good friend of mine is HUGE into it and got me into watching it. E-sports are getting yuge.

hithit
April 22nd, 2016, 8:04 PM
Pro and college football and basketball and pro baseball, ufc when i can, and very rarely wrestling.

Eddie Brock
April 22nd, 2016, 8:30 PM
Wrestling isn't a sport, it's a soap opera with gymnastics spliced in

I suppose it's an alternative to 22 people running around after a ball and a never ending procession of swan diving when someone gets within 5 feet of them.

Fro
April 22nd, 2016, 9:15 PM
I suppose it's an alternative to 22 people running around after a ball and a never ending procession of swan diving when someone gets within 5 feet of them.

I mean hey I like wrestling too but I just don't consider it a sport. I know you said not to get into this well-worn debate here but sport implies competition not scripted theater.

Clutch
April 22nd, 2016, 9:21 PM
NHL hockey - Ottawa Senators - almost all games

UFC - 4-6 PPVs/yr

NFL - very casual fan, only watch playoffs.

LOCONUT
April 22nd, 2016, 10:05 PM
NFL - in the past few years this has really become my #1 sport. I basically watch all of the games.

MLB - All Dodgers games and various other games throughout the season. Even at work I am almost always listening to games when there is day time baseball and the evening games on the east coast start at 4pm so I always end my day with a game.

NBA - Pretty rabid fan and NBA is my primary betting sport(though NFL is creeping up on that). I watch games nightly during the season.

Boxing - when the schedule is good, boxing is my favorite sport. I record and watch pretty much every televised fight, and I order most of the PPV's. Its been pretty quiet for the last 6 months but we are looking down the barrell of a ton of great fights over the next 5 months +.

I don't care about college football but I will always watch the big bowl games and tend to enjoy it when its on.

UFC I generally dislike but I caught a few fights in the last year that I actually enjoyed.

Rancid_Planet
April 22nd, 2016, 10:19 PM
I watch college football religiously but have no interest in other college sports. The NFL of course. Huge Baseball fan. I follow the NBA during the season but I rarely watch full games. But I love NBA playoff basketball.

I used to follow UFC fairly close but I now only have a passing interest in it.

darkhorse
April 22nd, 2016, 10:24 PM
MLB and NFL. I used to follow the NHL as well, but the lockouts have ruined it for me.

Eddie Brock
April 22nd, 2016, 10:25 PM
I mean hey I like wrestling too but I just don't consider it a sport. I know you said not to get into this well-worn debate here but sport implies competition not scripted theater.

I tend to think of professional wrestling in the same category of sport with gymnastics or skating. Yes, it's rehearsed. The point isn't the contest, but the skill demonstrated in the performance.

Fro
April 22nd, 2016, 10:37 PM
But even in gymnastics or figure skating they're being judged on their performance and are competing to win. Wrestling is like putting on an athletic play. Mark Wahlberg could have filmed an entire boxing match when he made The Fighter and then converted it into a live play but he wouldn't be competing in a sport.

LOCONUT
April 23rd, 2016, 12:29 AM
Scripted or not I think it's pretty fair to consider wrestling a sport for the purposes of this thread.

Besides, don't most wrestling fans watch MMA now anyway?

It isn't as though they are ballet fans.

kangus
April 23rd, 2016, 12:54 AM
I'll watch any and all NHL content, especially during the playoffs. So right now I'm in my element

MLB- I'll watch the Jays if they're on. They have this program up here (and I'm sure every team has something similar) called Jays in 30 where they condense the game to 30 minutes and that's absolutely perfect for someone like me so I usually catch that at night

NBA- Not really that interested, however I'll tune if I'm aware something potentially historic or important is happening and as the playoffs progress I usually pay closer attention

NFL- I'll catch most of the games but I'm not much a fantasy sports guy so if two bad teams are playing I'm probably not watching

I'm not afraid saying I love watching the CFL. I know most of the players aren't NFL calibre but it's a very fun sport to watch.

MMA- Fucking everything. And I'm talking from the very bottom of the card to the top. UFC, Bellator, WSOF, Invicta, Glory(not MMA but ehh close enough)

BJJ- I'm very interested in ADCC, World Jiu-Jitsu Championships, Metamoris. I prefer gi in pure BJJ but hey I'll watch no-gi as well.

Amateur Wrestling- I always love the Big 10 Championships as well as the NCAA finals.

Percussion
April 23rd, 2016, 1:12 AM
NFL - religiously as a whole, the Texans specifically

NCAA football - quite closely as a whole, Florida St specifically

The NFL draft is where the two above merge into an annual Percussion holiday

MMA - all UFC, most Bellator, I miss Japanese MMA tremendously

BJJ - an eye on big competitions, metamoris is terrific

Soccer - the US internationally, an eye on Premier League, Champions League, of course World Cup

Boxing - good grief it's been harder and harder to work up an appetite though

NBA - an eye on the regular season, then care about the playoffs

MLB - somewhat register the regular season, then the LCS and World Series

LOCONUT
April 23rd, 2016, 3:09 AM
CFL is badass. I've caught many TV games in the last year on my Canada travels.

Donald
April 23rd, 2016, 9:42 AM
Just international soccer.

Kneeneighbor
April 23rd, 2016, 2:50 PM
MLB, NFL NCAAFootball, some NHL playoffs. And since becoming head fast pitch coach I find myself watching countless hours of opponents games and breaking down film.

Tyson
April 23rd, 2016, 4:09 PM
My list, in order:

-NHL, diehard Canucks fan
-NFL
-NCAA football
-international hockey tournaments
-the last two rounds of NBA playoffs
-March Madness
-major soccer tournament (Euros/WC)
-darts (somewhat fascinated by it, would love to go watch in person someday)

Hero!
April 23rd, 2016, 4:56 PM
agree on major soccer tournaments. Euro & World Cup are a blast. Trying to keep up with one of the many soccer leagues full time just seems impossible because it's never on over here. I like to watch MLS they few times it'll be on at the bar.

Rancid_Planet
April 23rd, 2016, 6:09 PM
I try so to watch soccer but I just can't cram any sports into my bloated sports hole. I enjoy the game but I'm not the kind of person that tunes in and out of something easily. I tend to either follow something intensely or not at all.

DDT
April 23rd, 2016, 6:20 PM
The only sport I regularly watch is sumo. Sure, a lot of pomp and circumstance, and the actual bouts don't usually last more than a dozen seconds max, but hot damn can it be exciting.

Chris
April 23rd, 2016, 6:59 PM
No tennis fans here then. I try to watch all of the Grand Slams and at least some of the bigger ATP events if Sky Sports are kind enough not to bounce the matches around all of their channels.

I can get drawn in to the big matches at the world snooker championship and some of the other major events on the calendar.

I'm a very late-comer to the premier league - I've only been watching and following it proper since the 2013/2014 season. Looking forward to the Euros this summer.

Rancid_Planet
April 23rd, 2016, 8:03 PM
I could enjoy playing tennis or golf. But watching either doesn't interest me much.

Chris Scott
April 24th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Football
NFL
NBA
Boxing
UFC
College football & basketball
NHL
Little bit of baseball
Little bit of Tennis
Rugby League

NWo4LifeOr2Years
July 25th, 2016, 4:31 PM
Being a "crusty old fart", I grew up when baseball was king.

Mets fan since 1969. If you know anything about mlb and the Mets, you know how fortunate that makes me!
I was also there in 1986 when the ball rolled through Bill Buckner's legs....

I watched nfl football for a number of years, but the constant rules changes and $$$ marketing just ruined it for me after a while. I watch the super bowl now but fall asleep every year, that half time show does me in lol.

Simmo Fortyone
July 25th, 2016, 6:28 PM
Aussie Rules - I love going to VFL (one level below AFL) and local league games, but my interest in AFL is waning a bit because of the over-controlling by the governing body.
Soccer - going to Melbourne City matches, and the occasional NPL/FFA Cup match
Rugby Union - going to Melbourne Rebels games, watching Wallabies games
Cricket - going to Melbourne Stars games, watching other BBL games, watching test matches over the summer. However I reckon I haven't watched a one-day match for about a decade
Cycling - only the Tour de France
Tennis - only the Australian Open and Wimbledon
Basketball - NBA and NBL
NFL - the second half of Thursday and Sunday night games coincide with my lunch breaks on Friday and Monday, so go to the pub up the road from work to watch them
Darts - whenever it's on. I love it
Ultimate - US Open, US Nationals and world championships, on top of whatever I go and see live. Never watch the MLU or AUDL, they're both completely unwatchable to me because I'm a purist flog
NHL - the occasional Blackhawks game because my gf's dad is a big fan, and going to Melbourne Mustangs games once or twice a season
Olympics - however much I can physically handle

I'll watch just about anything

Sports I never watch because they're shit to watch
- Rugby league
- Baseball
- Golf

Judas Iscariot
July 25th, 2016, 7:27 PM
Baseball has just become so painfully slow that I find myself following it more through sites and on sports talk radio than actually sitting down and watching a game. It makes me question my Americaness.

Chris Scott
July 25th, 2016, 7:33 PM
Plus it's pretty boring too.

Judas Iscariot
July 25th, 2016, 7:36 PM
Boring, slow, whatever you want it to call it, it's a drag to get through games. Playoff baseball is absolutely phenomenal and the slow aspect of the game actually feeds greatly into the tension, but the regular season is very rough.

Murphy
July 26th, 2016, 7:35 AM
I feel a bit for my wife because when she married me, I only really watched football and wrestling, with a bit of snooker and tennis.

Now, it’s a bit like this;

Football – Mostly the Premier League. I won’t watch all the televised games, but definitely over 50% of them. I’ll also watch Champions League and Europa League when Spurs are in either of those. The odd game from Spain as well. Usually Barca/Madrid. Sacking off internationals now, with the exception of tourneys.
Wrestling – Just WWE these days. But now with the brand ‘extension’ I’ll be adding Smackdown to Raw and NXT. Of course, it’s a given that I watch the PPVs too. I’m sure in time I’ll be back to sacking one of Raw or Smackdown off.
Cricket – T/20 mainly. But I’ll also dip in and out of England test matches and one day matches. Happily watch the IPL if I have time though, as well as the Big Bash League.
Rugby League – Love a bit of this. Started watching in about 2011 and was loving it. Watch it a lot less now that I watch other sports, but I’ll watch the play-offs etc.
Rugby Union – I’ll catch the Six Nations, England tests and the odd Ireland test. Also like to watch the Northampton Saints if I get the time.
Snooker – Used to be a big fan, now just watch the final session of finals.
Tennis – Same as snooker. Will watch Grand Slam finals.
Golf – My father in law has really gotten me into this and I’d love to go and play. I like to watch the majors, as well as the Ryder Cup, obvs.
Pool – Mosconi Cup!
Darts – Was a huge fan. Now I don’t even catch most finals. I will watch the PDC World Final though.
NBA – Play-offs and the odd Knicks game.

Sounds worse than it is, although my wife won’t watch anything sport related, with the exception of Olympic sports. She watches NXT Take-Over shows with me and is enjoying the Cruiserweight Classic.

Have no love for the NFL, F1 or Baseball. Could enjoy the NHL if it was on a channel I had. It’s exclusive to Premier Sports over here, which nobody has.

NWo4LifeOr2Years
July 26th, 2016, 7:54 AM
Baseball has just become so painfully slow that I find myself following it more through sites and on sports talk radio than actually sitting down and watching a game. It makes me question my Americaness.

Baseball is America lol...

A beautiful day in the grass at the park with the fam....

But definitely more a thinking man's game than an eye candy game with a hundred bells and whistles going off made for today.

I think things turned when every kid stopped playing it every day after school in his neighborhood. Of course nowadays, folks don't even let their kids play in the neighborhood lol......

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2016, 8:03 AM
Take it your Knicks fan like me Murphy? You should try NFL again if you've already not.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2016, 8:04 AM
Boring, slow, whatever you want it to call it, it's a drag to get through games. Playoff baseball is absolutely phenomenal and the slow aspect of the game actually feeds greatly into the tension, but the regular season is very rough.

Yeah can't get into the regular games me, maybe I'll try again once it's playoff time.

Murphy
July 26th, 2016, 9:34 AM
Take it your Knicks fan like me Murphy? You should try NFL again if you've already not.

I am indeed, Sir. It's the MSG connection. Just always loved that place, loved the people. It does stem from wrestling, I'll be honest in my geekery. Not a word, but I'll go for it.

I'm sure I could get into the NFL, it just hasn't happened yet. I even have two buddies who regularly go to Wembley. But not feeling it yet.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Good stuff mate. The NFL will come.

Yeah I've liked them since the 90's and went a game at MSG in 2012.

Percussion
July 26th, 2016, 11:14 AM
But definitely more a thinking man's game than an eye candy game with a hundred bells and whistles going off made for today.

Curious, what game did you have in mind here with all it's bells and whistles and so little thinking?

Judas Iscariot
July 26th, 2016, 12:31 PM
There are a lot of bells and whistles at baseball games when they have to pump in blaring noise to wake up a crowd that's fallen asleep because the batter has to make sure his gloves and helmet are still on and the pitcher has to walk around the mound to get the circulation in his legs going after every pitch.

Percussion
July 26th, 2016, 12:43 PM
And what with all of the strenuous thinking going on ...