PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

The Rick
February 16th, 2016, 1:23 AM
2015-2016 Season is in the books. The Denver Broncos are WORLD CHAMPIONS. Now the road to the 2016-2017 Super Bowl is on.

The Rick
February 16th, 2016, 1:26 AM
Im hoping that my Broncos can keep Miller, but he's going to cost quite a bit. I think we could either swing Miller, or Jackson and Oswiller. But I think we really need to see what develops from other teams first. While I'd like to keep Miller, I really don't want to be hamstrung by multiple big long contracts (potentially Oswiller's and Miller's), when there are other good options out there.

Also It's nice that we have our DB situation settled for the next season or two. Talib is a knucklehead, but aggressive at tackling in the open field. Which makes him such an asset from a DB standpoint. Harris is a lock down corner, and Roby is not far behind him. Our safeties are just fine.

Atty
February 16th, 2016, 1:33 AM
The Lions are winning it this year.

Grimario
February 16th, 2016, 1:46 AM
Chip Kelly is going to show the Eagles what they are missing out on.

Chris Scott
February 16th, 2016, 6:08 AM
Looking forward to the draft and free agent signings, even though it looks like Dolphins are losing Lamar Miller.

TimeSplitter
February 16th, 2016, 7:41 AM
Forte and Doug Martin will be interesting to follow in free agency. The past few seasons, running backs haven't been offered big contracts. Forte would be an ideal fit in New England, but I won't count Miami out if they lose Miller. Martin will either stay in Tampa, or go to Tennessee.

My Bengals have a lot of free agents this year, and they won't be able to keep them all. Marvin Jones is likely gone, probably follows Hue to Cleveland, and the whole secondary are free agents. I'd like them to cut Burfict, but I don't see that as a likely scenario.
My hometown Vikings only have two real spots of need, WR and Tackle. One will be solved in the first round.

Is there a consensus #1 pick in the draft this year? I've heard a lot about the Ole Miss Tackle, but he's also mired in controversy.

Kneeneighbor
February 16th, 2016, 8:57 AM
The Vikings O Line needs more than just one tackle. They are also in need of help at WR like you said but also could use secondary help. The Vikings will be in for a rude awakening this year jumping from a last place schedule to a first place schedule.

Percussion
February 16th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Is there a consensus #1 pick in the draft this year? I've heard a lot about the Ole Miss Tackle, but he's also mired in controversy.

Can't see it being anyone other than him or OSU's Bosa.

Percussion
February 16th, 2016, 11:27 AM
The Vikings will be in for a rude awakening this year jumping from a last place schedule to a first place schedule.

It's only a two game difference. Those two games matter, but it ain't like it was years ago when a quarter of your schedule was affected by where you finished.

Chris Dolmeth
February 16th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Yeah, obviously things will change, but their schedule doesn't look very hard. They'll have Carolina on the road, but they get Indy, Houston, and Arizona at home.

Matthew
February 16th, 2016, 12:20 PM
sorry to shut this thread down so early

the bills win the superbowl this year

mods, do your job, close this baby up.

onto 2017-2018 now

Fro
February 16th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Off to a good start with Shady McCoy looking like he's got a suspension coming his way for stomping cops in the club.

Chris Scott
February 16th, 2016, 1:22 PM
sorry to shut this thread down so early

the bills win the superbowl this year

mods, do your job, close this baby up.

onto 2017-2018 now

About as much chance as that as you finishing above me in RFF. Dolphins will finish 2nd in that division.

PurePlayer
February 16th, 2016, 1:24 PM
Bold statement for a team that went 1-5 in that division and pretty much got blown out by everyone. Their only win was against a very banged up Pats team that wasn't really playing for much.

Chris Scott
February 16th, 2016, 1:33 PM
Nah I know but I'm confident with the coach changes and hopefully get some decent offensive line players.

Grimario
February 16th, 2016, 6:59 PM

Are NFL teams going to care about his suspension for taking improper benefits? Or are you talking about him possibly being linked to his team mates window falling + drug arrest incident?

Reading up on some cuts this morning... Lions cut Joique Bell and Bears cut Jermon Bushrod (who I think I signed last season in Madden...)

Fro
February 16th, 2016, 7:56 PM
Is there a consensus #60 pick? I need to start checking out who the Patriots might get. :grumpy:

Grimario
February 16th, 2016, 8:15 PM
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals-Sign-Aussie-Rules-Player-Joel-Wilkinson/d92a4b37-be97-40f8-ad6d-cb02f47334c7

Former Aussie Rules player signs for Cardinals.

Fro
February 16th, 2016, 8:37 PM
Jerod Mayo is retiring after 8 seasons. :sadwave: Sad to see him go but glad to see him go out on his own terms before getting more banged up and go out as a Patriot lifer. Not a huge loss for the Patriots... he's a Belichick-favorite lauded for his leadership skills but he had devolved from a perennial tackles-leader into a sub package guy in 2015 after 2 straight season ending injuries. His option wouldn't have been picked up anyway and this retirement makes you wonder if the Pats told him they weren't interested in keeping him at all, but it would have been nice to see him back as a veteran role player. Salute.

Spedizzo
February 17th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Is there a consensus #60 pick? I need to start checking out who the Patriots might get. :grumpy:

Does it matter?

Guaranteed they will win the AFC

PurePlayer
February 17th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Does it matter?

Guaranteed they will win the AFC

A little early for that, isn't it? I think Pitt, Kansas City(if they add a couple pieces), and a healthy Cincy team will have something to say about that. And oh, the super bowl champs.

Jordo
February 17th, 2016, 2:33 PM
This off season is going to suck pretty bad for me. As a guy who rooted for a shitty team free agency and the draft were more rewarding than the season most the time.

It'll still be interesting to see what the Rams do, I'd imagine they'll actually attempt to make a big splash this off season. I'd bet a big name WR ends up in LA. Alshon Jeffery is a free agent ya? I wouldn't be surprised if you see the Rams go after him hard.

They'll almost surely get some big offensive pieces they've been missing for over a decade now. The defense is pretty great the o line (if healthy) is passable if not pretty damn good and they have an absolute stud running back.

I expect the rams to make some real noise this off season into next season

Kdestiny
February 17th, 2016, 3:01 PM
Jeffrey will be tagged

Grimario
February 17th, 2016, 7:17 PM
Good news for 49ers fans!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25485818/nfl-strength-of-schedule-49ers-falcons-at-no-1-packers-at-no-32

:(

Percussion
February 17th, 2016, 7:29 PM
Before a single offseason move?

Judas Iscariot
February 17th, 2016, 8:00 PM
Giants tied at 30th :boink:

Fro
February 17th, 2016, 8:20 PM

we doing QB rankings now?

Torn
February 18th, 2016, 5:28 AM
Predicting strength of schedule doesn't really mean anything at this point.

Fro
February 18th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I agree the strength of schedule rankings 1 to 32 are misleading but you can still look at schedules and get a general feel for it even this early in the offseason. I look at the whole AFC East as having a tough schedule in 2016 because the 2 divisions they play (AFC North and NFC West) happen to be divisions that yielded 2 playoff teams each in 2015. So we all have the Steelers, Bengals, Seahawks and Cardinals as 4 of our 10 out-of-division opponents. The Jets in particular have it tough because then you add 2 games vs the Patriots and their two fellow 2nd placers which are the Colts and Chiefs. That's half their schedule vs teams people would probably project as playoff teams.

PurePlayer
February 18th, 2016, 11:15 AM

I think a lot of that has to do with the division. Cowboys should be a lot better. NFC East plays the AFC north this year and you know the Ravens are going to be better than they were last year. They also play the NFC north which has the Packers and Vikings. I think the rankings are a bit misleading.

Percussion
February 19th, 2016, 1:00 AM

Far from a consensus of course, but just for shiggles ...

NFL.com's 4-round mock (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000636952/article/fourround-mock-draft-browns-bolts-snag-qbs)

Jordo
February 20th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Predicting strength of schedule doesn't really mean anything at this point.

They just base it on win/loss from the previous year rght? I mean there is no concrete evidence that is going the change strength of schedule between now and week one

Chris Dolmeth
February 20th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Some teams will get better in the offseason, some will get worse. It's stupid to judge strength of schedule right now.

Bandit
February 22nd, 2016, 1:35 PM
Some teams will get better in the offseason, some will get worse. It's stupid to judge strength of schedule right now.

Agreed.

Panthers went from 7-8-1 in '14 to 15-1 in '15. Redskins went from 4-12 to 9-7. Vikings 7-9 to 11-5.

Then on the flipside you have the Ravens going from 10-6 to 5-11; Cowboys from 12-4 to 4-12.

Grimario
February 22nd, 2016, 11:20 PM

Obviously teams will change in the off season. Isn't the article I posted nothing more than "compared to how teams went in 2015, this is how your teams schedule looks"?

Some stuff I have been reading up on today...

Laquon Treadwell (apparently best in draft class WR) won't be running the 40 yard at the combine

Jets release Antonio Cromartie
Eagles extend Malcolm Jenkins with a 5 year 40.5m deal
Broncos sign DT Phil Taylor (means Jackson is gone, maybe?)

Fro
March 1st, 2016, 7:21 PM
So pretty big day today with the franchise deadline. Lots of guys tagged this year:

Baltimore Ravens - Justin Tucker, K
Buffalo Bills - Cordy Glenn, OT
Carolina Panthers - Josh Norman, CB
Chicago Bears - Alshon Jeffery, WR
Denver Broncos - Von Miller, OLB
Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Berry, S
Los Angeles Rams - Trumaine Johnson, CB
Miami Dolphins - Olivier Vernon, DE (Transitional)
New York Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson, DE
Washington Redskins - Kirk Cousins, QB

Cousins gets $20 million if he plays on the tag which is kinda crazy given where he was a year ago. And the Eagles re-sign Bradford for 2 years/ 36 million/ 26 guaranteed. Paying Sam Bradford 18 mil a year? Yeesh.

Kdestiny
March 1st, 2016, 7:22 PM
I wouldn't let Bradford pay my team that much to start at QB...

Randolph
March 1st, 2016, 8:04 PM
Just shows how important franchise QBs are. These guys like Bradford and Cousins never would have been paid top dollar ten years ago, but we have a competent QB shortage right now. Maybe this upcoming draft class (which is QB heavy) can change things up.

Fro
March 2nd, 2016, 7:55 PM
So Joe Flacco the non-elite QB is now the highest paid player in the NFL. For now. Luck will break the bank.

This MTV Cribs-style interview with Ochocinco is a good watch. He's the man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eH9GWTQuzw

Percussion
March 2nd, 2016, 8:12 PM
Damn that dude comes off as insecure.

The Law
March 2nd, 2016, 10:07 PM
No one's ever made more money while doing less than Bradford. Never been anything above average, now heading towards $150 million in salary in his career.

Tagging Cousins is probably the right move. If it turns out last year was an aberration, you can let him go or sign him to a much smaller deal. If he has another big season, he's proved himself worthy of a long-term contract or you can tag him a second time. He played like a $20 million QB for the last ten games last year, just depends on whether that improvement was real or a fluke.

PurePlayer
March 3rd, 2016, 11:03 AM
Just shows how important franchise QBs are. These guys like Bradford and Cousins never would have been paid top dollar ten years ago, but we have a competent QB shortage right now. Maybe this upcoming draft class (which is QB heavy) can change things up.

Except that this year's draft class is being projected as weak.

The contract for Bradford seems like a lot but the market was bare and it was a supply/demand type of thing. The good thing is that it is only 2 years so they can either move on or sign him again if he performs. The guy had a decent season last year coming off 2 ACL injuries and missing 3 games.

Percussion
March 3rd, 2016, 11:10 AM
And the contract is said to be completely front loaded so they can effectively pull eject after this year if Bradford doesn't impress.

Grimario
March 3rd, 2016, 5:44 PM
Big name releases to wake up to...

Arian Foster and Charles Johnson both cut.

Percussion
March 3rd, 2016, 8:03 PM
Hate seeing Foster's time up here, fun as shit to watch and interesting to listen to. BUT, it's a business and all that jazz.

PurePlayer
March 4th, 2016, 11:42 AM
The guy is made out of glass.

Grimario
March 5th, 2016, 8:31 PM
Wendell Williams has broken Johnson's 40 yard time at one of the regional combines. 4.19s... wonder if that means he gets the 1 million Adidas put up.

Fro
March 6th, 2016, 8:00 PM
So Peyton Manning is officially retiring. I'd say he slotted himself in as the 3rd best QB of all time. His 5 MVPs will probably never be matched.

Chris Dolmeth
March 6th, 2016, 8:14 PM
Colts should hire him to run the team like Elway right away

hithit
March 6th, 2016, 8:52 PM
So Peyton Manning is officially retiring. I'd say he slotted himself in as the 3rd best QB of all time. His 5 MVPs will probably never be matched.
Behind who exactly?

Fro
March 6th, 2016, 8:59 PM
Brady and Montana being 1A and 1B

Kdestiny
March 6th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Nah

Pablo Diablo
March 6th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I can't say I disagree with Fro here.

Percussion
March 6th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Nah

Nah who?

hithit
March 6th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Manning is better than both. He is the best statistical qb ever, and he is tied for most wins all time. Add in 2 super bowls and he is the best ever.

Percussion
March 7th, 2016, 12:02 AM
I'll take coming up clutch in big games over some extra yards. And it ain't like Montana or Brady are short on some extra yards or MVPs either.

Barely .500 in playoff games with some real stinkers is a son of a bitch for a best ever argument.

Fro
March 7th, 2016, 12:21 AM
People often call Peyton the greatest regular season QB of all time but he and Brady are actually about equals in terms of efficiency. Manning has a career regular season passer rating of 96.5 and Brady has one of 96.4. Manning has the totals in his favor (career passing yards and TDs) though that gap will be closing as Brady plays on. Brady will pass Manning in terms of wins this season or the next. Brady has always turned the ball over less and you could make the case Manning has had better weapons (better offensive weapons but not as good of a defense of coach). When you consider all of that along with Brady winning twice as many Super Bowls and just generally being a better, more clutch playoff QB and I'm not sure how you can rightfully put Manning ahead. Manning got his corpse dragged to his second SB and in the first one he played a crappy Bears team (and had 3 TDs, 7 INTs during that playoff run) while Brady is known for his 4th quarter SB winning drives.

If you're picking QBs to lead your team in a Super Bowl is anyone taking Manning over Brady? I don't think Manning vs Brady is a debate anymore after Brady got his 4th ring in such clutch fashion. Manning vs Unitas, Elway, Young, Marino, Aikman... That's where I think it gets interesting. But like I said, I think Manning put himself ahead of those guys with the way he finished his career.

Anyway it's fun to rank but either way, farewell to one of the best QBs we'll ever witness.

Percussion
March 7th, 2016, 12:43 AM
True that. Peyton is a legit legend. Johnny Unitas brought the era of the passing attack to the forefront of classic football, and likewise and then some Peyton brought the next evolution of the passing attack that we see in modern football every Sunday now. He made dummy calls and mind games cool. 3rd best of all time is absolutely no knock.

With the massive influence the QB position has on games now days I'd really like to see the league make a separate award for best regular season QB opposite a league MVP for all other positions. This would be like the Cy Young in baseball. And in honor of Manning's achievements, and certainly for his regular season greatness, this could be dubbed the Peyton Manning Award. Maybe even the Unitas-Manning Award for their similar contributions to the position. A deserved kickass honor.

Pablo Diablo
March 7th, 2016, 11:51 AM
I see a news story about the Patriots picking up Gronks option to have him through 2019. Was that ever something that the Pats weren't going to do?

Fro
March 7th, 2016, 12:49 PM
No, it was very much expected, basically a no brainier. The only way they wouldn't have done it would be if he kept getting injured and couldn't stay on the field, which was a concern when he signed the extension in 2012. But he's been healthy the last 2 years now. His contract is very team friendly - cap hits of 6, 7, 11 and 12 million for the next 4 years.

TimeSplitter
March 7th, 2016, 1:05 PM
I want the Rams to sign RG3, just for trolling purposes.

Fro
March 7th, 2016, 4:30 PM
Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell traded to the Dolphins

Grimario
March 7th, 2016, 6:15 PM
De'Anthony Thomas possibly in a trade to 49ers... guess that would be the end for Hayne there.

Chris Scott
March 7th, 2016, 6:22 PM
Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell traded to the Dolphins

And Dolphins looking to release Brent Grimes.

Grimario
March 7th, 2016, 8:15 PM
DeMarco Murray traded to Titans. Is this an EVERYTHING MUST GO sale in Philly?

Fro
March 7th, 2016, 8:46 PM
Chip Kelly set them back years

PurePlayer
March 7th, 2016, 8:54 PM
Trading away Murray and maxwell is going to give them a lot more wiggle room in free agency and more draft picks now. So because they were able to pull these trades off it definitely quickens their rebuilding if you want to call it that. Obviously they need to hit on their picks and free agents

PurePlayer
March 7th, 2016, 8:55 PM
DeMarco Murray traded to Titans. Is this an EVERYTHING MUST GO sale in Philly?

It is a fix everything chip did wrong sale

Grimario
March 7th, 2016, 9:20 PM
It is a fix everything chip did wrong sale

:happysad:

Looking good as a 49ers fan then.

TimeSplitter
March 7th, 2016, 9:40 PM
Kelly was fine as a coach his first year in philly, but was an awful GM.

PurePlayer
March 8th, 2016, 10:36 AM
No, it was very much expected, basically a no brainier. The only way they wouldn't have done it would be if he kept getting injured and couldn't stay on the field, which was a concern when he signed the extension in 2012. But he's been healthy the last 2 years now. His contract is very team friendly - cap hits of 6, 7, 11 and 12 million for the next 4 years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/08/rob-gronkowski-tweets-about-being-underpaid/

I was waiting for him to notice his light salary for being the best tight end in the game.

TimeSplitter
March 8th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Maybe his party boat cost too much money.

Chris Scott
March 8th, 2016, 1:04 PM
Calvin Johnson announced his retirement today, another great player gone.

Beefy
March 8th, 2016, 1:11 PM
Such a shame he was injured when the Lions came to Wembley a year or so back. What a player.

Kdestiny
March 8th, 2016, 1:13 PM
Gone far too soon.

Chris Scott
March 8th, 2016, 1:14 PM
Such a shame he was injured when the Lions came to Wembley a year or so back. What a player.

Was just reading he had quite a few injuries last 2 years or so.

Beefy
March 8th, 2016, 3:27 PM
Yeah he missed a chunk of 2014 including that game in London. I think he played pretty much every game last season but he's definitely not been 100%. That performance on Thanksgiving this year was sensational though.

In other news, JPP has re-signed with the Giants.

Grimario
March 8th, 2016, 7:00 PM
Seahawks have waived Jesse Williams :(

Shame he could never catch a break from illness.

Chris Scott
March 8th, 2016, 7:07 PM
Yeah he missed a chunk of 2014 including that game in London. I think he played pretty much every game last season but he's definitely not been 100%. That performance on Thanksgiving this year was sensational though.

In other news, JPP has re-signed with the Giants.

Watched the thanksgiving game and he was brilliant. 9 seasons though? Shane he couldn't get couple more behind him.

Chris Scott
March 8th, 2016, 7:08 PM
Mario Williams to Dolphins 2 year deal :yes:

Morrison
March 8th, 2016, 7:17 PM
rumor mill saying ryan matthews also on the trade block for the eagles.

i was all for shipping off maxwell and alonso. i would've liked to see murray get another chance here, but clearly relations were broken after the disaster that was last season. but now matthews? the best back we had last year? put all our eggs into the aging sproles basket? we're gonna draft an RB? it really does just feel like howie roseman trying to give the finger to chip kelly by jettisoning every player he had a hand in bringing here. we gonna cut agholor next?

Chris Scott
March 8th, 2016, 7:40 PM
How good are Maxwell & Alonso? Not seen anything of them really.

Morrison
March 8th, 2016, 7:43 PM
maxwell was a decent corner in seattle, when he was part of terrific defensive system. he got a big free agent contract from us and played about league standard for a defensive back, if not a little worse. seems he needs the correct system to realize his potential.

alonso had a great rookie year in buffalo and then went down injured. he had a tremendous pick in the endzone against the falcons in the first game of 2015 for us, and that was the highlight of his year. he was injured and ineffective the rest of the way.

Chris Scott
March 8th, 2016, 7:49 PM
Nice one, hopefully they fit in well with the Dolphins.

hithit
March 8th, 2016, 8:16 PM
Packers showing interest in forte. Hope he comes here just as a giant fuck you to the bears

hithit
March 8th, 2016, 8:18 PM
Oh, and fro, this guy has a more valid claim as best ever than brady and montana:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Starr

Percussion
March 8th, 2016, 8:38 PM
What's his more valid claim?

hithit
March 8th, 2016, 8:52 PM
5 rings, no loses in the title game. 9-1 playoff record. Don't really need much else.

Percussion
March 8th, 2016, 9:19 PM
I'm not discounting Starr's accomplishments, they're great, just questioning how his claim was more valid.

Fro
March 8th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Brady's claim to the throne is the truest. I have looked into the flames and seen him drawing a burning sword from the fire and thrusting it into the heart of the usurper Roger Goodell to reclaim the crown that is his by right.

hithit
March 8th, 2016, 11:43 PM
I'm not discounting Starr's accomplishments, they're great, just questioning how his claim was more valid.

Going off of fros reasoning he has a more valid claim.
I honestly dont have an opinion about whos the best ever, i really just like messing with fro.

Kdestiny
March 9th, 2016, 2:40 AM
Irvin expected to go to Oakland. That defense could be scary if they had a few DBs

Chris Dolmeth
March 9th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Well a great pass rush can make a subpar secondary look good.

After getting Graham out of nowhere last year, I'm kinda expecting the same this year. Would surprise me if they end up trading with the Bears to get Bennett. I just want both Bennett brothers on this team.

Kdestiny
March 9th, 2016, 11:18 AM
It would be very odd if they traded for Bennett. I don't even know what they would give up. A 5th rounder? After the Marshall trade I don't really know.

Chris Dolmeth
March 9th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I want them to get Bennett for a couple reasons. It might make Michael more okay with not making as much money as he should. Plus, it'll free up Graham from having to block so much. That said, wouldn't shock me at all if they traded for Bennett and just cut Graham.

TimeSplitter
March 9th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Bengals re-sign Iloka, smart move
Lions sign Marvin Jones. It's going to be tough for anybody to replace Calvin, but I'm not sure he's a number 1 wide out.

PurePlayer
March 9th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Marvin Jones is going to be really good I think. I wanted the Eagles to get him. Obviously, he isn't going to be a Calvin Johnson but not many receivers are.

TimeSplitter
March 9th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Having watched him in Cincy the last three years, he is good. But he got most of his targets when AJ Green was being double teamed.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 1:43 PM
Saw this on Twitter

Yay trade!
Booo trade!
Yay trade!
Boooo trade!
Yaaaaaaay trade!
Booooooooo trade!

#Dolphins

Haha sums it up.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 1:46 PM
Dolphins going for back-to-back offseason titles. They could be building an offseason dynasty here.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 1:49 PM
Haha yeah.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 1:50 PM
Morrison you heard anything about trade being off because of an injury to Maxwell?

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 1:52 PM
The trade is back on and a done deal. There was a hang up with Maxwell's shoulder but he's now been cleared by Miami.

PurePlayer
March 9th, 2016, 1:59 PM
Yeah it's back on. The Eagles have also signed Chase Daniel which probably means Sanchez is gone and signed Rodney Mcleod to 5yr 37 million. They really needed a safety after losing Thurmond to free agency.

PurePlayer
March 9th, 2016, 2:00 PM
Dolphins going for back-to-back offseason titles. They could be building an offseason dynasty here.

it's crazy how they have so much cap room. I guess losing Grimes, etc freed up a lot of space for them. Still that Suh contract is way too big. The Giants signing of Jenkins is much needed for them but it seems like a ton of money. He is the 2nd highest paid cb.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 3:02 PM
:ugh:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdIKZo2W4AAirKn.jpg

PurePlayer
March 9th, 2016, 3:40 PM
That's what happens when you don't draft well and have to rely on free agency. That recipe rarely ever works as seen by the win pct of the teams on there.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 3:41 PM
Off season Champions us.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 3:42 PM
it's crazy how they have so much cap room. I guess losing Grimes, etc freed up a lot of space for them. Still that Suh contract is way too big. The Giants signing of Jenkins is much needed for them but it seems like a ton of money. He is the 2nd highest paid cb.

You think Suh contract is still big even after the reconstructed one Dolphins sorted out?

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 3:43 PM
That's what happens when you don't draft well and have to rely on free agency. That recipe rarely ever works as seen by the win pct of the teams on there.

I always thought the free Agent deals are the best way to go for teams.

Torn
March 9th, 2016, 3:45 PM
It's the same value contract Chris, a restructure just converts an amount of his salary to signing bonus so it's spread across the length of the contract instead of all this season.

Dolphins showing how to do the exact opposite of showing how to be a successfully run franchise so far.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 3:52 PM
Ah got you.

Why what are Dolphins showing so far to make you think that? Maxwell and Alonso will be good additions and although Grimes is the better CB, he's 32 I think and Dolphins are happy to get rid of the baggage.

Torn
March 9th, 2016, 3:53 PM
I always thought the free Agent deals are the best way to go for teams.

No it's completely the opposite. Free agency is where good players get overpaid like they are great players by desperate franchises and every high value long term deal on a merely good or average player has the chance of seriously negatively impacting the future of the franchise. Most players who reach free agency are highly likely to perform well below what they are being paid. The best teams in the NFL avoid massive splashes and use free agency to sparingly to fill needs, improving through the draft and signing depth. The bad teams try and spend to improve straight away and end up making their problems a whole lot worse.

PurePlayer
March 9th, 2016, 3:55 PM
Ah got you.

Why what are Dolphins showing so far to make you think that? Maxwell and Alonso will be good additions and although Grimes is the better CB, he's 32 I think and Dolphins are happy to get rid of the baggage.

Alonso had a good rookie year, missed all of the next year, and was terrible last year. He was very small for a linebacker and seemed to be afraid to make contact, probably because he wasn't fully comfortable with his knee yet. However, he is still only under a million so the value isn't bad.

Maxwell is decent and would make for a good 2nd corner but he is getting paid way to much especially based on his performance from the year before.

edit: I will be the first to say that I liked the Maxwell signing last year. It is also hard to judge any of them in Chip's scheme with how much time and plays they have to spend on the field.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 3:57 PM
Chris Scott, I'd like to publicly invite you to switch allegiances and become a Patriots fan. I forget how you landed on the Dolphins but you aren't too far down the rabbit hole to change. I would give you the stamp of approval no questions asked.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 4:11 PM
FORTE TO THE JETS

BROCK TO THE TEXANS

FREE AGENCY OFFICIALLY STARTS IN 45 MINUTES LOL

Torn
March 9th, 2016, 4:17 PM
BROCK TO THE TEXANS

Well well well well well well

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 4:24 PM
No it's completely the opposite. Free agency is where good players get overpaid like they are great players by desperate franchises and every high value long term deal on a merely good or average player has the chance of seriously negatively impacting the future of the franchise. Most players who reach free agency are highly likely to perform well below what they are being paid. The best teams in the NFL avoid massive splashes and use free agency to sparingly to fill needs, improving through the draft and signing depth. The bad teams try and spend to improve straight away and end up making their problems a whole lot worse.

Alonso had a good rookie year, missed all of the next year, and was terrible last year. He was very small for a linebacker and seemed to be afraid to make contact, probably because he wasn't fully comfortable with his knee yet. However, he is still only under a million so the value isn't bad.

Maxwell is decent and would make for a good 2nd corner but he is getting paid way to much especially based on his performance from the year before.

edit: I will be the first to say that I liked the Maxwell signing last year. It is also hard to judge any of them in Chip's scheme with how much time and plays they have to spend on the field.

:yes:

I was listening to a Dolphins podcast and I believe Maxwell was quite good at Seattle albeit with excellent coverage but he played a lot of Zone and Coverage which our defensive coordinator is looking to go.

Percussion
March 9th, 2016, 4:24 PM
Wanted to move heaven and earth to go after Goff or Wentz, but happier with Osweiler than I would have been with Cook, Lynch, Hackenberg, Prescott, etc. And thank fuck no more Brian Hoyer.

Lamar Miller would be excellent now.

EDIT: Lamar is excellent now. Ha.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 4:28 PM
Chris Scott, I'd like to publicly invite you to switch allegiances and become a Patriots fan. I forget how you landed on the Dolphins but you aren't too far down the rabbit hole to change. I would give you the stamp of approval no questions asked.

Haha, as much as I actually like Patriots I just can't. My love affair with Dolphins is to deep now. I'm currently saving up to go back to Miami to watch a game around November time. Gutted I missed them at Wembley this past October as I was on holiday, although we got embarrassed by our rivals Jets, so it wasn't all bad I did.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 4:28 PM
Wanted to move heaven and earth to go after Goff or Wentz, but happier with Osweiler than I would have been with Cook, Lynch, Hackenberg, Prescott, etc. And thank fuck no more Brian Hoyer.

Lamar Miller would be excellent now.

EDIT: Lamar is excellent now. Ha.

WHAT? Is it confirmed.

Edit: Wow £24m on a 4 year deal with £14m upfront and had bigger offered elsewhere.

Percussion
March 9th, 2016, 4:30 PM
Per Schefter.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 4:31 PM
Yep just seen them.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 4:32 PM
Yep Lamar replaces Arian Foster in Houston.

The AFC South is having a busy offseason. Jags get Ivory and Malik Jackson. Texans get Brock and Miller. Titans get Demarco Murray. Colts getting their 2016 free agency participant banner ready.

Beefy
March 9th, 2016, 4:35 PM
This is awesome. It's Transfer Deadline Day. In Reverse. On Steroids. Love it.

Kneeneighbor
March 9th, 2016, 4:36 PM
Well well well well well well

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdIdsoqXIAA3VYl.jpg:large

Percussion
March 9th, 2016, 4:37 PM
Hoyer was constantly playing from behind against shell coverages. He was terrible when games were undecided.

Kneeneighbor
March 9th, 2016, 4:38 PM
Hoyer also lead in passer rating 91.4 to 86.4 and QBR 59.6 to 48.8.

Kneeneighbor
March 9th, 2016, 4:39 PM
Also this clearly means RG3 to Denver!

Percussion
March 9th, 2016, 4:40 PM
Hoyer also had 6 years and 17 starts to have begun to figure out playing QB.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 4:45 PM
Hoyer sucks, after that playoff performance there was no way they could go into the season with him as their starter. Brock very well might suck too but at least he has the possibility of not sucking.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 4:48 PM
This is awesome. It's Transfer Deadline Day. In Reverse. On Steroids. Love it.

Lol.

Can't wait 10 minutes Sky Sports News.

Percussion
March 9th, 2016, 4:51 PM
Hoyer sucks, after that playoff performance there was no way they could go into the season with him as their starter. Brock very well might suck too but at least he has the possibility of not sucking.

Right. I'll absolutely take Os even just hopefully growing from his first 7 starts versus Hoyer continuing on whatsoever.

Judas Iscariot
March 9th, 2016, 4:53 PM
Jenkins and Snacks.

UNSTOPPABLE AND UNBEATABLE

Torn
March 9th, 2016, 4:55 PM
Giants joining in the terrible contracts for cornerbacks merry go round in the NFC East.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 5:07 PM
Yeah I'm hearing the Giants made Jenkins the 2nd highest paid CB in the NFL (not sure by which metric) and he was the 25th best CB in 2015 according to PFF.

Kdestiny
March 9th, 2016, 5:22 PM
Trevathan to Chicago.

I like that

Judas Iscariot
March 9th, 2016, 5:23 PM
Giants are $200 million under the cap, they can do whatever they damn well please.

Kdestiny
March 9th, 2016, 5:30 PM
Including overpaying for a mediocre CB

Kdestiny
March 9th, 2016, 5:42 PM
Eagles end up with the 8th pick, so not a bad trade off there

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 5:49 PM
Eagles end up with the 8th pick, so not a bad trade off there

Yeah ended up ok for Eagles.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 5:50 PM
Confirmed Grimes and his wife both released. Dam, she's one crazy woman.

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 5:56 PM
Also this clearly means RG3 to Denver!

Kaepernick to Broncos, 49ers trade up to guarantee they don't miss out on Goff/Wentz.

Alex Mack (honestly, why didn't our very own Alex Mack take Cleveland in Madden CFM?) has signed with Atlanta. Matt Schaub to back up Matt Ryan as well. Soliai (one of my regular FA signings in Madden) released. Busy day there.

And Travis Benjamin confirmed for Chargers.

Fuck, I forgot how exciting this shit is.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 5:59 PM
The RGIII talk to Denver is funny, I want it to happen for so many reasons.

Beefy
March 9th, 2016, 6:02 PM
Jesus, the Giants have emptied the bank for Olivier Vernon.

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:04 PM
Jesus, the Giants have emptied the bank for Olivier Vernon.

82m over 5 with 52 guaranteed. Holy shit.

Torn
March 9th, 2016, 6:07 PM
Here is a photo of Janoris Jenkins covering Dez Bryant

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8m-p_IacUtO6METpkSjKFqppDyA=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3885220/Image_14.0.png

Judas Iscariot
March 9th, 2016, 6:07 PM
BIG BLUE WRECKING CREW

Torn
March 9th, 2016, 6:08 PM
The Vernon contract is just utterly absurd :lol:

Judas Iscariot
https://media.giphy.com/media/gKlFXa0eIe99u/giphy.gif

MMH
I feel like a Jewish kid at Christmas here.

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:10 PM
Matt Cassel to Titans on a 1 year deal. Who are the Cowboys getting to play for Romo when he breaks something again?

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 6:11 PM
82m over 5 with 52 guaranteed. Holy shit.

WOW.

Judas Iscariot
March 9th, 2016, 6:13 PM
I wonder if the Giants are ever going to pay any fucking attention to the linebacker position ever again

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:14 PM

Who do you support again?

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:17 PM
Alex Boone gone to Vikings for 4 years. Guess that leaves a fairly large hole on an already pretty shitty OL at SF :( Poor Staley.

Beefy
March 9th, 2016, 6:19 PM
Who do you support again?

Who is he in Madden?

Beefy
March 9th, 2016, 6:20 PM
Other than "fucking boring"

Pablo Diablo
March 9th, 2016, 6:21 PM
That is silly money for Vernon

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:22 PM
Who is he in Madden?

Saints... but I thought he said he supported Cleveland or Chicago or something. Or had a soft spot or whatever it is MMH does.

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:29 PM
I must be following the wrong Twitter accounts. There hasn't been any action for 5 minutes or so.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 6:30 PM
I'm sure he supports Saints.

I might have said I have a soft spot for both the Browns & Bears.

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:34 PM
I'm sure he supports Saints.

I might have said I have a soft spot for both the Browns & Bears.

Yep, Saints.

Back in the 80's during the NFL UK TV boom all my mates supported the Bears. Me being an awkward arse wanted to follow someone who wasnt so successful.

So I ended up with 2 teams I had a soft spot for which was the Browns because Jim Brown is a hero of mine and the Oilers because I liked their uniforms.

Good reasons to have a soft spot, I suppose.

Grimario
March 9th, 2016, 6:40 PM
Oooo.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
.@NFL announces it fines coach Andy Reid & GM John Dorsey, docks the team 2 draft picks for violating anti-tampering policy.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#KCChiefs lose the 2016 third-rounder and 2017 sixth-rounder for their infractions. Team also fined $250,000. Reid fined $75K, Dorsey: $25K

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2016, 7:12 PM
Second that Oooo.

Fro
March 9th, 2016, 7:18 PM
They cooperated with the investigation and let the NFL in their doors and got hammered. Goodell is a snake. I admit I didn't see it when it was happening to the Saints but now I feel for other teams when it happens.

Who gon get his wrath next?

Judas Iscariot
March 9th, 2016, 7:51 PM
The Patriots.

Beefy
March 9th, 2016, 7:57 PM

There you go, you've got Fleener.

MMH
March 9th, 2016, 8:04 PM
Other than "fucking boring"

Id say I have been involved in the most exciting games in our leagues short history personally....

MMH
March 9th, 2016, 8:05 PM
There you go, you've got Fleener.

Have we signed Mikey to control him?

Otherwise meh, hes not that great in real life. Its something I suppose. We dont really have a lot of cash to splash around right now.

Kdestiny
March 9th, 2016, 8:19 PM

Otherwise meh, hes not that great in real life. Its something I suppose. We dont really have a lot of cash to splash around right now.

I feel he is an upgrade for sure. Can be a good receiver for Brees

MMH
March 9th, 2016, 8:24 PM
I feel he is an upgrade for sure. Can be a good receiver for Brees

I think his real life worth is over exaggerated by his fantasy potential personally.

Still, its not a terrible signing or anything. Decent enough.

JRSlim21
March 9th, 2016, 8:55 PM
I'm guessing the Giants are gonna target a LB in the draft. Maybe they will attempt to sign Laurinaitis.

Reese had to go for broke on his defense. So many holes.

The Law
March 9th, 2016, 9:54 PM
Love the Eagles undoing everything Chip Kelly did. Getting rid of Murray and Maxwell's contracts are good moves regardless of what they got. Alonso is a little tougher to part with, but for a first round pick it was definitely worth it.

Kdestiny
March 9th, 2016, 11:55 PM
I think his real life worth is over exaggerated by his fantasy potential personally.

Still, its not a terrible signing or anything. Decent enough.

Nah, he's pretty good. I follow the Colts pretty closely and was a bit upset when they chose Allen over Fleener

Grimario
March 10th, 2016, 1:38 AM
Kaepernick to Broncos, 49ers trade up to guarantee they don't miss out on Goff/Wentz.

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
I believe that Colin Kaepernick will be the Broncos' target as Brock Osweiler's replacement... and I expect them to be successful.

:chin:

Chris Scott
March 10th, 2016, 5:35 AM
Love the Eagles undoing everything Chip Kelly did. Getting rid of Murray and Maxwell's contracts are good moves regardless of what they got. Alonso is a little tougher to part with, but for a first round pick it was definitely worth it.

Yeah swapping draft picks with Dolphins has actually be a good deal all round for them.

Mikey_Jones
March 10th, 2016, 5:52 AM

I am available in free agency for the right price

Beefy
March 10th, 2016, 6:13 AM
The Giants will probably give you $18m a year if you hang around long enough.

Beefy
March 10th, 2016, 12:38 PM
http://mmqb.si.com/2016/03/10/olivier-vernon-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-blockbuster-contract

Cool piece describing what happened yesterday to get Vernon to New Jersey.

Kneeneighbor
March 10th, 2016, 12:47 PM
If free agency makes you feel good about your team you probably have a shitty team.

PurePlayer
March 10th, 2016, 1:07 PM
Even with all the additions the Giants made on defense they are still average. They have no linebackers and their 2nd safety is a backup. Even their additions are decent but not great.

Beefy
March 10th, 2016, 1:09 PM
It's only day two of free agency. The issues at linebacker, free safety, wide receiver and the right side of the offensive line should all be addressed.

It shouldn't be too difficult to be competitive in the NFC East. Giants managed that this year with probably three decent players (Eli, Beckham and DRC).

PurePlayer
March 10th, 2016, 1:14 PM
It's only day two of free agency. The issues at linebacker, free safety, wide receiver and the right side of the offensive line should all be addressed.

It shouldn't be too difficult to be competitive in the NFC East. Giants managed that this year with probably three decent players (Eli, Beckham and DRC).

I agree they will be competitive in the division as all the teams should this year.

I get it's day 2 of free agency but how much more money can they spend to actually improve? They will obviously need to address most of their problems in the draft, right?

Beefy
March 10th, 2016, 1:31 PM
Apparently they somehow have almost $30m left. Restructuring Cruz helped a lot. Hopefully they'll fix things in the draft but that is what has got them in this mess with so many holes and so much cap space in the first place.

Honey_Badger
March 10th, 2016, 1:35 PM
Minnesota signing Alex Boone is the best fit of free agency so far this year. One or two more strategic moves like that may take them from Wild Card to Conference Champion. Give Bridgewater some protection and he can be efficient enough to win games.

Kneeneighbor
March 10th, 2016, 1:44 PM
Minnesota signing Alex Boone is the best fit of free agency so far this year. One or two more strategic moves like that may take them from Wild Card to Conference Champion. Give Bridgewater some protection and he can be efficient enough to win games.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/legomessageboards/images/f/ff/Purple-kool-aid-man.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140623060251

PurePlayer
March 10th, 2016, 1:48 PM
Apparently they somehow have almost $30m left. Restructuring Cruz helped a lot. Hopefully they'll fix things in the draft but that is what has got them in this mess with so many holes and so much cap space in the first place.

Is Odell still on his rookie deal? That will probably use up a shit ton when they renew him.

Beefy
March 10th, 2016, 2:32 PM
Yeah he's got another two years on it. It's possible that that will coincide with Eli walking away.

Judas Iscariot
March 10th, 2016, 7:35 PM
Holy shit the Giants signed a linebacker.

Keenan Robinson to join the new big blue wrecking crew.

JRSlim21
March 10th, 2016, 8:43 PM
Depth move. We could use another.

Percussion
March 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Absolutely absurd, but I absolutely love it ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdR3IFLVIAAMwbN.jpg:medium

Spedizzo
March 11th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Johnny Football has left the building

Chris Dolmeth
March 11th, 2016, 1:59 PM
I really hope for his sake nobody signs him. Dude needs to go to rehab

Chris Scott
March 11th, 2016, 2:04 PM
Yeah hopefully he's left out for a year and he sorts his head out.

Chris Scott
March 11th, 2016, 2:05 PM
So not looking likely Broncos are going to match Dolphins offer for TJ Anderson. Mad few players they've lost last week or so.

Percussion
March 11th, 2016, 2:10 PM
Rehab would do absolutely nothing for Manziel as he doesn't want it for himself.

Chris Dolmeth
March 11th, 2016, 2:24 PM
Which is why teams need to blacklist him

Spedizzo
March 11th, 2016, 3:04 PM
Honestly I thought after the first 25 incidents that maybe it is just Manziel being young and silly

but no, the kid is a sociopath and will end up in a Hernandez situation or a Ethan Couch/Affluenza Teen situation if he keeps heading down this path

Football is the last thing that should be on his mind. He has potential (quickly fading), but no team should touch him with a 10 foot stick. His playing ability does not even come close to the baggage he comes with

So.... Cowboys, Jets, or Bills? who will sign him first? Jets seem to be fading away from the typical media circus they are used to since Rex has left town... so I say it is between Cowboys and Bills!

Chris Dolmeth
March 11th, 2016, 3:52 PM
If anyone signs him, it'll be Dallas.

Chris Scott
March 11th, 2016, 4:17 PM
RGlll Jets then maybe?

Fro
March 11th, 2016, 4:35 PM
I don't think Manziel will end up like Aaron Hernandez, that seems like a stretch. I agree that I hope no one signs him but whatever, he's a bust, his NFL career is probably over, he's not really even an interesting point of discussion anymore. Just a Jamarcus Russell-esque burnout.

Sanchez to the Broncos but it seems like they want him as a backup and are still looking to bring in Kaepernick.

Chris Hogan fantasy sleeper 2016.

Judas Iscariot
March 11th, 2016, 5:13 PM
Is Manziel the second biggest bust in history next to Ryan Leaf?

EDIT why did I not include Russell

Chris Dolmeth
March 11th, 2016, 5:15 PM
Jamarcus Russell says sup

Fro
March 11th, 2016, 5:17 PM
no because Jamarcus Russell.

Fro
March 11th, 2016, 5:34 PM
I think there's probably other bigger QB busts as well since Manziel was only drafted 22nd, but off the top of my head I can't think of any. Surely there were some QBs who went top 15 and did nothing that we're forgetting.

The Law
March 11th, 2016, 5:39 PM
Steaming hot take: Mark Sanchez isn't any worse than Manning was last year.

Fro
March 11th, 2016, 5:44 PM
It's hard to be as bad as Manning was last year. He was the worst QB in the NFL in 2015, and arguably the worst QB to get significant playing time in the last several years.

Percussion
March 11th, 2016, 6:05 PM
I think there's probably other bigger QB busts as well since Manziel was only drafted 22nd, but off the top of my head I can't think of any. Surely there were some QBs who went top 15 and did nothing that we're forgetting.

Rick Mirer - 2, Heath Shuler - 3, Blaine Gabbert - 10, Christian Ponder - 12, EJ Manuel - 16

Torn
March 11th, 2016, 6:22 PM
The 2011 draft has 3 QBs alone that were just as bigger busts as Manziel, if not bigger relative to draft position. Second biggest bust in history not even narrowing it down to QBs is a laughable comment.

Torn
March 11th, 2016, 6:30 PM
Given Justin Gilbert's career so far he's probably not even the biggest Browns bust of the 2014 draft let alone ALL TIME EVER.

Fro
March 11th, 2016, 9:10 PM
Yea judas is a real ass hat.

I actually have to say I'm impressed with the Giants additions though, they might be good this year. And if not it'll be fun to see them underperform and be screwed with all those big contracts and realize they should have kept coughlin.

Kneeneighbor
March 11th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Rick Mirer - 2, Heath Shuler - 3, Blaine Gabbert - 10, Christian Ponder - 12, EJ Manuel - 16

Todd Marinovich was 24th but he is up there too.

Chris Dolmeth
March 11th, 2016, 10:31 PM

Kid me had a Mirer jersey :nono:

hithit
March 11th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Dan McGwire, David Carr, Cade Mcnown, and Akili Smith all make the list too.

Judas Iscariot
March 12th, 2016, 2:44 PM
My plan to generate bust discussion worked perfectly.

I rule.

Fro
March 12th, 2016, 3:29 PM
Martavis Bryant facing a 1-year suspension for violating the substance abuse policy. Would be a big blow to the Steelers.

Kdestiny
March 12th, 2016, 4:18 PM
Looks like that be may be a new Josh Gordon.

Bears sign Freeman. They have quietly had an excellent off season

Tyson
March 12th, 2016, 9:28 PM
If anyone signs him, it'll be Dallas.

This. Jerry Jones is on record as saying Romo is his starter going forward, the Manziel interest has been there in the past, the Cowboys are not adverse to hiring dudes with questionable character.

Dallas gets the attention grab by signing the local boy, JM gets to learn and watch behind Romo for a couple years.

Randolph
March 13th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Johnny Football is the prime example of why only half-competent QBs are getting huge contracts nowadays. He flamed out in the most spectacular way possible and this scares NFL teams to even pin their hopes on unproven rookies. Many would rather spend their money on QBs that would have been backups 15-20 years ago. Granted, many of them are getting contracts with downsides to lessen the risks, but they are still banking on them to win games for them.

Will Cleveland try to draft a QB and risk the same situation, or do they trade for or sign a Kaepernick or RGIII?

Percussion
March 13th, 2016, 1:23 AM
Johnny Football is the prime example of why only half-competent QBs are getting huge contracts nowadays. He flamed out in the most spectacular way possible and this scares NFL teams to even pin their hopes on unproven rookies. Many would rather spend their money on QBs that would have been backups 15-20 years ago. Granted, many of them are getting contracts with downsides to lessen the risks, but they are still banking on them to win games for them.

Will Cleveland try to draft a QB and risk the same situation, or do they trade for or sign a Kaepernick or RGIII?

Cleveland should draft a QB. They have two studs staring them in the face. But, it's Cleveland so they'll likely trade for Kaep and continue to Cleveland.

And I don't know where you get that teams aren't counting on unproven rookie QB's when they certainly are. Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, Mariota, Winston. It's not like Manziel's problems are some kind of contagion. His is isolated dumbass, no need to worry about it rubbing off. And these youngsters aren't going to all work out either, but guys like EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder never should have been taken where they were to begin with. That only smacks of desperate team builders and not to whether or not young QB's are there to be had and can be depended on. It does take a bit of discernment though.

Kdestiny
March 13th, 2016, 10:22 PM
Hicks to Chicago. Starting to get really excited now.

Percussion
March 15th, 2016, 1:33 PM
Turning the corner on the combine and free-agency, anyone have their draft wishlist narrowed down?

Picking late in the first stinks, but this draft isn't demonstrably top heavy and so a few names are keeping a very good profile. We have definitive soft spots at DT, C, and OT, with plenty of other areas of concern as well.

Duane Brown's health will be our key to what door to open as this plays out, so my first two options are assuming Brown isn't trusted to contribute readily, with the following a combination of need and opportunity ...

Jack Conklin, OT, Mich St
Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

So ya, anyone else have their best laid plans for late April yet?

Kdestiny
March 15th, 2016, 1:36 PM
Chicago will go best player available. I have seen a few mocks with Wentz dropping to them which I don't see happening, but I'd be so down for it.

Otherwise no real expectations, maybe Alexander from Clemson or Buckner from Oregon if he drops a bit

Percussion
March 15th, 2016, 1:47 PM
Couldn't imagine Wentz getting past San Fran.

Alexander is the best CB in this draft, imo.

Kdestiny
March 15th, 2016, 2:05 PM
Hargreaves and Ramsey will go top 8 I reckon.

Both are good, Ramsey is a crazy athlete. Neither will be available past the top ten, Wentz as well.

Percussion
March 15th, 2016, 2:10 PM
I don't see Ramsey as a corner. He can certainly do that, and that versatility is golden, but he's a space eater in the defensive backfield more so.

And Hargreaves is very good, but I'd rather have Mack every day.

Fro
March 15th, 2016, 3:57 PM
Patriots trade Chandler Jones to Arizona for Jonathan Cooper (guard) & 2nd round pick (61st overall). I like the deal, but sad to see Chan Man go. He is very energetic and personable in his interviews and social media, and a damn good player. But this was in the cards.

Chris Scott
March 15th, 2016, 4:34 PM
Why home come you traded him?

Kdestiny
March 15th, 2016, 4:39 PM
Huge move for both teams and addresses needs for both.

Torn
March 15th, 2016, 5:18 PM
Turning the corner on the combine and free-agency, anyone have their draft wishlist narrowed down?

My wish is Jalen Ramsey at 4 but I'm not sure he makes it past San Diego. Not sure Myles Jack or Joey Bosa are fits especially given McClain's resigning regarding Jack. If Goff/Wentz are still there I will probably prefer a trade down than to take one but I flip flop daily on whether picking Romo's replacement here is a good thing or not. Please no to Elliot at 4, he could be the second coming of Walter Peyton and I'd still not want to pick him so high.

Kdestiny
March 15th, 2016, 5:19 PM
I think the Cowboys would love to see Ramsey still at 4, though I see them going Bosa

Percussion
March 15th, 2016, 5:59 PM
My wish is Jalen Ramsey at 4 but I'm not sure he makes it past San Diego. Not sure Myles Jack or Joey Bosa are fits especially given McClain's resigning regarding Jack. If Goff/Wentz are still there I will probably prefer a trade down than to take one but I flip flop daily on whether picking Romo's replacement here is a good thing or not. Please no to Elliot at 4, he could be the second coming of Walter Peyton and I'd still not want to pick him so high.

As much as I love Ramsey, I honestly think you guys would be off your collective rocker to not take Goff or Wentz. Those two are legit, and how often does a team just fall into a situation to have a seamless franchise QB transition. Just look at every team scouring the QB bargain bin or at what marginal QB's are getting in free agency. Just look a couple hundred miles south for goodness sake.

So ya, hope you take DeForest Buckner. :D

Chris Scott
March 15th, 2016, 6:02 PM
No, Denver matched Miami's offer for CJ Anderson and keep him now. Next option, Foster maybe?

Grimario
March 15th, 2016, 7:03 PM
Are Titans going to take Tunsil at #1? I keep reading that that would mean he plays RT or Lewan moves across the other side... is that a pretty simple thing to do like in Madden? I can't imagine being a blind side tackle for a RH QB is a pretty different prospect to open side. Having your dominant hand on the outside would be a big thing to lose as well.

Is someone going to trade up to guarantee they get Goff/Wentz? I assume that is all highly dependent on how the Kaepernick thing goes... if he ends up in Cleveland, they take Ramsey, if he stays or ends up in Denver, they take one of the two QB's and that means you have a heap of teams scrambling to get the other one. Can just see him going to Denver, Rams trading up to #1 and 49ers starting the season with Thad Lewis and Paxton Lynch/Connor Cook at QB :happysad:

Percussion
March 15th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Are Titans going to take Tunsil at #1? I keep reading that that would mean he plays RT or Lewan moves across the other side... is that a pretty simple thing to do like in Madden? I can't imagine being a blind side tackle for a RH QB is a pretty different prospect to open side. Having your dominant hand on the outside would be a big thing to lose as well.

Be awfully surprised if Tenn doesn't take Tunsil, he's that good. Also figure they have Lewan move to the right. It's not advanced acrobatics to switch, but it's also not so simple. The footwork is the biggest adjustment, the kickstep, shifting weight, and hip adjustment. Depends on the player how well a guy can pull it off. Some guys make a living as a swing tackle, some guys get so entrenched in the muscle memory devoted to mastering one side or the other. I think Lewan is agile and has the footwork enough to move over and allow a talent like Tunsil to be a stud on the blind side though.

Grimario
March 16th, 2016, 2:09 AM
Patriots trade Chandler Jones to Arizona for Jonathan Cooper (guard) & 2nd round pick (61st overall). I like the deal, but sad to see Chan Man go. He is very energetic and personable in his interviews and social media, and a damn good player. But this was in the cards.

And you signed Chris Long to replace him.

You get a guard that you needed, probably freed up some cap space and get a second round pick... that sounds like a great bit of business.

TimeSplitter
March 16th, 2016, 6:10 AM
Great trade for both teams. Patriots (who love 2nd round picks) get that and a guard with great promise, if he can stay healthy. He also makes under $700k this year, so it frees up a great deal of cap space. Chris Long is also a good signing. I may be annoyed that the patriots win a lot, but you got to respect how Bill works as a GM.

Fro
March 16th, 2016, 7:45 PM
Patriots traded for Martellus Bennett. Looks like they gave up a 4th and will get a 6th back as well. I like it. Back to a double TE-set.

Rancid_Planet
March 16th, 2016, 8:02 PM

Is someone going to trade up to guarantee they get Goff/Wentz? I assume that is all highly dependent on how the Kaepernick thing goes... if he ends up in Cleveland, they take Ramsey, if he stays or ends up in Denver, they take one of the two QB's and that means you have a heap of teams scrambling to get the other one. Can just see him going to Denver, Rams trading up to #1 and 49ers starting the season with Thad Lewis and Paxton Lynch/Connor Cook at QB :happysad:

From what the local sources are saying, Lewan would definitely move to RT as the feeling is he would be better there anyway.

I don't care. Just protect Mariota. For the love of fucking God protect Mariota. The kid has all the skills but he just got jackhammered last season. Absolutely beat to shit. That simply cannot be allowed to continue.

Chris Dolmeth
March 16th, 2016, 8:37 PM
Patriots traded for Martellus Bennett. Looks like they gave up a 4th and will get a 6th back as well. I like it. Back to a double TE-set.

Really wish the Seahawks made this deal. Fuckin Patriots..

Kdestiny
March 16th, 2016, 9:05 PM
Crap. Though with his whining he will fit right in

Fro
March 16th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Crap. Though with his whining he will fit right in

How about Shea McClellin? Just signed with the Pats for 3 years. 81 tackles in 12 games last year. Any good?

Pats are raking up former 1st round picks. McClellin, Chris Long, Jonathan Cooper and Donald Brown.

Jimmy Zero
March 16th, 2016, 11:20 PM
McClellin sucks.

IMO he's a back up/special teamer, at best. He's not good enough to be a starter.

Kdestiny
March 17th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Yeah, Shea is trash. He can rack up tackles, but is out of position way too often.

Percussion
March 17th, 2016, 1:04 PM
Jon Gruden says Carson Wentz is the most NFL-ready QB he's seen in years (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/jon-gruden-says-carson-wentz-is-the-most-nfl-ready-qb-hes-seen-in-years)

Wentz’s experience in a pro-style scheme is what has Gruden fawning over him. The offense he was running at North Dakota State is one Gruden can instantly recognize.

Grain of salt with Gruden's infatuation with any young QB, but really this kid is a stud. He's been running things pro passing concepts and directing protection and route adjustments for a couple years already. Hope to fuck Cleveland doesn't get their stink all over him.

PurePlayer
March 17th, 2016, 1:08 PM
Donald Brown is pretty terrible as well

Kdestiny
March 17th, 2016, 2:12 PM
If Cleveland gets Wentz he may be ruined

Fro
March 18th, 2016, 7:30 PM
RIP Tray Walker

This is quite spooky... from December...

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/24559/rookie-cornerback-tray-walker-hopes-to-avoid-ravens-locker-room-curse

Percussion
March 18th, 2016, 9:14 PM
Chip Kelly made the Titans a ridiculous trade offer to get Marcus Mariota (http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/chip-kelly-marcus-mariota-trade-draft-philadelphia-eagles-offer-deal-first-round-031816)

"Last year the Eagles offered the Tennessee Titans -- and I know this -- a 2015 first-round pick, a 2015 second-round pick, a 2016 first-round pick, they said 'take any of our quarterbacks' -- that's Bradford, that's Sanchez, that's whoever -- [and] take anyone on our defense; we want that No. 2 pick,'" Schrager told Colin Cowherd on The Herd. "The Titans said no."

Grain of salt and all that, but I've also never heard of Peter Schrager to be of any disrepute. And this would be a doozy to up and claim just cuz.
If true, just wow. I mean, we knew Kelly had a Mariota-boner certainly, but that is ginormous.

Recap - Two firsts, a second, and effectively Sam Bradford and Fletcher Cox ... for Mariota.

Idk ... great fodder if nothing else.