PDA

View Full Version : Having a crack at Mortal Kombat X

Nordberg
January 18th, 2016, 4:33 AM
Had a rough few weeks at work and it's awfully cold outside, so I felt the need to smash people's face in. Where I live, the game isn't even available, so I had to do a cheeky download.
Anybody else played this? I'm a couple of hours in, and satisfied, it's a cool game. I like the variety available and it plays better than the 9th installment.

Psycho666Soldier
January 18th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I love it. At times, I think the variant system is kind of annoying(I'd rather have a hybrid of move selections for each character and spend more time making other characters), but the gameplay is ace. The new characters are unique and all play well for the most part. I also like the story more than MK9's, which started well but fell flat about halfway through. In general, it's great to see MK return to form after falling from grace around the Deadly Alliance era. Some good ideas that came from those games, but the gameplay was too clunky.

Who're your favorites to play with?

Nordberg
January 19th, 2016, 3:11 AM
I've really only just broken into it but I've been playing through the basic tower with Predator, who is really cool to play with, at least for a near novice like me. I did the tutorial with Scorpion and gave him a wee run too, and otherwise I've just dabbled with who looks cool.
I live in Japan where it's completely unavailable so I've looking forward to letting my Japanese mates give it a go. I can't wait to see their reactions because they've never come across the series before. How and when does story-mode unlock?

VanillaJello
January 19th, 2016, 10:35 PM
When MKX came out state side we also had an issue with story mode unlocking. They had to patch the game to make the story work. Wonder if you're having the same issue?

Nordberg
January 20th, 2016, 12:14 AM
I think it's because I skipped out on the tutorial half way through. I was very impatient to just get going.

Nordberg
January 21st, 2016, 3:30 AM
Ah, actually, it seems I didn't download the whole game because my HDd was full. Instead I had downloaded the basic, non-story version of the game.

Psycho666Soldier
January 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM
Weird. I didn't even know that was an option. I was going to say that you should be able to launch into the story without any issue. We did when my roommate first bought it.

I recommend trying out Takada. He takes some time to get used to and you have to find the right variant, but once you figure out his combos, he's ridiculous.

Nordberg
January 23rd, 2016, 12:37 AM
I think uncharted had the same a while back. You didn't have to download the multiplayer etc.
anyway I took your advice. Takeda is awesome. A lot of variety in his moves and quite easy to use. Reminds me of Dhalsim in street fighter a little.
Move also played about with the three fighting styles features Scorpion's very fiery one is great, and better than the one which I assumed was default. Same for Raiden.

darkhorse
January 23rd, 2016, 3:33 PM
I was gonna get the game today until I saw this:

http://cdn3-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2016/01/mortalkombatxleditions.png

There's an XL edition coming out on March 1st (as well as DLC packs for those who already have the game) for the PS4 and Xbox One. It includes new characters (Alien, Leatherface, Triborg, Bo’ Rai Cho, Goro), as well as Kold War Scorpion, the Brazil Skin Pack, the Kold War Skin Pack, and the Apocalypse Pack.

In addition, all editions (PS4, Xbox One, and PC) get a new stage for free that's based off The Pit from the first Mortal Kombat, complete with Pit Fatality:
http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2016/jan/22/mortal-kombat-xl-pit-stage-fatality/

I might just wait and get the XL disc when it comes out.

Nordberg
January 25th, 2016, 3:50 AM
Rotten timing on my part. I got the game a full three days before XL was announced. Ah well, it'll all be DLC eventually.

darkhorse
March 2nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
I played Mortal Kombat XL last night, and I love it. Bo Rai Cho's hilarious, and Alien's got an awesome victory scene, in addition to great fatalities. I was also pleased to see that the Pit's stage fatality still works the same as it did in the original Mortal Kombat game.

Nordberg
March 3rd, 2016, 7:25 AM
I'll pick it up again after a couple of weeks off. In fact, fuck it I'll get the lads around and have a tournament. cant wait to check out the new characters.