PDA

View Full Version : UFC 193 SATURDAY NOVEMBER 14TH

Nash Diesel
November 11th, 2015, 5:47 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.ufcvipexperience.com/assets/image/691/320x320%2523/UFC-Event-Thumbnail-UFC-193-UFC-VIP-Experience.jpg?1442261170

Double title event.

Also featuring...

HW Rematch of the Century: Mark Hunt v. Bigfoot Silva

Uriah Hall v. Robert Whitaker

Stefan Struve v. Jared Rosholt

Let us discuss and hope Fanny Batter returns to give us his epic breakdowns. Where the fuck you at FB???

Not familiar at all with who Jed is fighting. I think Rousey v. Holm is going to end 1 of 2 ways: It's either going to be a squash like 90% of R3's other fights....ORRRR Holm is going to pull a Matt Serra/Chris Weidman and shock the world by taking out the p4p best women's fighter of all time.

Can Hunt and Silva give us another classic? Doubtful. I think Bigfoot actually takes this and I think he takes it in the first round via knockout.

Eddie Brock
November 11th, 2015, 6:10 PM
Holly is smart. She won't do what some of the other girls have done. Holly will use lateral movement, and Ronda knows this.

Holly has to get in and out. Remember Ronda is a clinch girl. She needs to be close. She doesn't shoot from far out like wrestlers.

This is like Horiguchi vs. Mighty Mouse. Will be rooting for Holly, but don't see her getting past Ronda.

Nash Diesel
November 11th, 2015, 6:19 PM
I think if Ronda can get in, she's going to eat some punches, but she's going to be able to take Holm down and submit her with ease. I haven't seen a single thing in Holm's arsenal that makes me think she'll do any better than the majority of the one dimensional fighters Rousey has destroyed.

Spedizzo
November 12th, 2015, 9:31 AM
Will Ronda be silly and think she can stay on the outside and strike? I think she might be delusional enough to think she can strike.

Ronda can also eat some strikes trying to clinch.

Although I am not impressed enough with Holly to think Ronda will be in much danger, but hey, anything can happen. Holly is a Greg Jackson groupie so she will be prepared.

Nash Diesel
November 12th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Ronda will do what Ronda does and it works so she's not going to try and prove a point by making this a stand up fight. She's going to be prepared, she's going to be ready and she's super confident. Her confidence is what gets the job done. Her evolution is something to applaud, her striking has improved greatly, and she's snatching arms quicker in the UFC than she did fighting in Strikeforce.

But we always have to look at the X factor of MMA-4oz gloves. Holm hasn't finished anyone in the UFC, she hasn't looked like the killer that I saw headkick some poor girl into next year prior to coming to the big show. But she has the technical ability to make a victory possible. You can't stay on top forever, eventually someone is going to put a 1 in your losses column it happens to every single fighter that's elite. Fedor, Anderson, GSP, Cain V, trust me Jones' time will come, so will Weidman. And it's usually someone you least expect or in a manner you least expected.

Mik
November 13th, 2015, 10:20 AM
I think that Rousey vs Holm is going to be closer than most people think its going to be...but I dont think that its going to be close.

Mark Hunt is going to knock out Big Foot.

Nash Diesel
November 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I keep swaying back and forth on the Hunt-Bigfoot fight.

The only preview I've read was Sherdog and they are saying Rousey wins via armbar in the 4th. Idk if it'll go that long.

Spedizzo
November 13th, 2015, 2:02 PM
Tough card to predict, but here I GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronda via Armbar
Joanna via decision (dont know anything about the other girl)
Hunt via knockout (this is 50/50, either guy can win, strategy will probably be out the window)
Uriah Hall via decision (any guy who beats Mousassi is okay in my book)
Roshhold via knockout (I think Struve's jaw is glass at this point)

Nash Diesel
November 13th, 2015, 2:07 PM
I can't count out Struve. That guy has won more fights while losing than anyone else I know. Seems like he gets rocked about 4-5 times and then boom, slaps on a submission or knocks you out. I was kind of shocked Big Nog and Struve couldn't finish the other and damn that fight was boring as fuck BUTTT Struve was finally FINALLY FINALLY fighting like a 7ft tall guy. This whole time he's been fighting like a fucking Pat Barry type guy with ground and if he can do what he did against Nog and stay healthy, he could be a fucking threat. He just eats too many blows.

Spedizzo
November 13th, 2015, 2:08 PM
People who think this may be Ronda's toughest test:

It won't be

Holms is a boxer who began messing around in MMA this year.

Her boxing hasn't been that effective, her wins have not been that impressive. She has a split decision win against a 5-5 fighter THIS YEAR.... that is 7-8 months ago. You don't just magically improve enough to beat the most dominant women's fighter in the world within a year. Ronda is an olympic judo champion. Her other sole win in the UFC has also been very unimpressive.

Unless Ronda fucks around and keeps the fight standing, there is absolutely no reason at all for her to lose. The only question is whether or not she decides to keep it a boxing fight which she might be arrogant enough to do.

Nash Diesel
November 13th, 2015, 2:13 PM
I was watching a UFC vid hyping up this fight and while it was short, maybe 30 seconds, the only highlights of Holm they showed were her Invicta fights. The problem with Ronda's dominance is that when you've beaten the elite, and done it easily, the UFC has to start looking elsewhere. I feel bad for Tate getting looked over but she has to respect that the UFC doesn't want to burn out another hot rivalry like they did with JDS and Cain. Nobody wants to see those 2 guys fight for a long, long time because they had 3 fights against each other in less than 2 years.

So you have Holm and they use buzzwords to sell her striking ability and talk about her 19 boxing championships and that's cool but when we've seen Ronda wax everyone regardless of how much better on paper they are than her in a certain aspect of MMA, we need more and Holm did not impress in any UFC fight so far. No way is this even close to Ronda's toughest test.

Spedizzo
November 13th, 2015, 4:06 PM
Ronda only has 2-3 more fights left in her at most anyway. She is at the age where she has to start popping some babies out pretty soon. Fighting and training very hard has to take a tremendous physical and emotional toll on your body - especially for a woman, and especially for a woman who isn't into it and has her mind set on other things - such as movies, professional wrestling, having children, etc.

If she ever plans on having children, it would obviously be when her MMA career is over, and as a woman you don't want to do it past your mid-30s, and I assume she has so much other shit she also wants to do before that as well.

After this Holms fight, she realistically only has the Tate fight, and then maybe a Cyborg fight. Otherwise if the Cyborg fight never happens then it would be Tate and nothing or Tate and some random can.

Nash Diesel
November 13th, 2015, 4:19 PM
I think she will definitely go the Gina Carano route. I think there's a strong possibility that if she walks away, she'll be back within 2 years because I don't think someone who was basically bred to compete since birth could fully walk away.

Seanny One Ball
November 13th, 2015, 4:22 PM
She doesn't seem the maternal type but it's good to know that all women will abandon their careers when it's time to pop out babies pretty soon.

On an unrelated note she's seeing Travis "She's lying" Browne apparently.

Nash Diesel
November 13th, 2015, 4:25 PM
She doesn't seem the maternal type but it's good to know that all women will abandon their careers when it's time to pop out babies pretty soon.

On an unrelated note she's seeing Travis "She's lying" Browne apparently.

She doesn't but I think in a recent interview, or one that happened this year at least, she talked about wanting to have a family. Probably because she was denied a real family after her father committed suicide and I can understand that for sure.

Seanny One Ball
November 13th, 2015, 4:30 PM
She is likely incredibly selfish in bed

Spedizzo
November 13th, 2015, 4:44 PM

relax

feminist

but thats what they should all do

Seanny One Ball
November 13th, 2015, 4:45 PM
That is without doubt the only time I have ever been called that

Hero!
November 13th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Tense weigh-in. Ronda looks unhealthy.

Percussion
November 14th, 2015, 1:03 AM
Rousey looked like a dumbass.

https://instagram.com/p/-C0IYyvA2m/

The Law
November 14th, 2015, 3:10 PM
Be shocked if she fought much longer. Nothing left to prove, she can make more money and not work nearly as hard doing movies and WWE.

Pablo Diablo
November 15th, 2015, 1:51 AM
Dominated

Start to finish

Atty
weupirghofwobeuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhg bfjkaenriuwfohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;aweupirghofwo beuriag;feborhfjkerhgjerhusgfkjbaeruhgbfjkaenriuwf ohjweofuibaerdfglhkjl/sndgivlfjaengsfhiledjslnfliejwlfanjs;a

Atty
Holy shit. Ronda just got absolutely destroyed.

Tainted Eclipse
November 15th, 2015, 1:52 AM
so who took those odds?

Defrost
November 15th, 2015, 1:52 AM
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! I should have put money on that.

Tainted Eclipse
November 15th, 2015, 1:54 AM
im pissed i didnt. i knew i should have, i just didnt get around to it because i thought it wasn't gonna happen anyway. damn.

The Law
November 15th, 2015, 1:55 AM
Total ass-whipping. Rousey looked completely out of sorts.

Atty
I thought I should have after the weigh in but couldn't be arsed. Holy shit.

The rematch is going to be the biggest women's draw ever.

Atty
Total ass-whipping. Rousey looked completely out of sorts.

I could buy her losing to a Bella with how she looked.

Pablo Diablo
November 15th, 2015, 1:56 AM
She was exhausted at the end of the first round. Which I guess happens when you keep your head still and take shot after shot to the face from a professional boxer.

Defrost
November 15th, 2015, 1:57 AM
Trying to figure out why the Judo Player thought it was a good idea to box with the boxer to be honest.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 1:59 AM
She was exhausted at the end of the first round. Which I guess happens when you keep your head still and take shot after shot to the face from a professional boxer.

And when you never go long. She was sloppy the whole fight and looked completely outclassed.

I'm still shocked by the whole fight, but at the end of the first felt Ronda was doing the job.

The Law
November 15th, 2015, 2:01 AM
Horrible strategy to try to out-box a professional boxer. Then again, the previous fighter was supposed to be a better striker and she knocked her out in 30 seconds.

Defrost
November 15th, 2015, 2:02 AM
Holm ended it quick so she could watch the Tenryu show

Beer-Belly
November 15th, 2015, 2:02 AM
:lol:

Pablo Diablo
November 15th, 2015, 2:03 AM
All those people who thought this could happen after the Bethe fight where Ronda showed some sloppy boxing were proved right. I thought she would realize that she couldn't do the same against someone who actually knows how to box but I didn't see any of that. I'll admit I was wrong, thought Rousey was going to win this won as easily as she's won most of her other ones. Well done by Holm though. Can talk all we want about how sloppy Ronda was but Holm just came out and outboxed and outclassed her.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 2:03 AM
Horrible strategy to try to out-box a professional boxer. Then again, the previous fighter was supposed to be a better striker and she knocked her out in 30 seconds.

Ronda always has tried to outdo whatever her opponent's speciality was. It really was just a matter of time before she got Buster Douglassed doing that.

But, Jesus. Wow.

The Law
November 15th, 2015, 2:07 AM
So...be seeing her at Wrestlemania then?

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 2:07 AM
These replays of Holly completely outclassing her remind me of Lord Beerus.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 2:09 AM
So...be seeing her at Wrestlemania then?

Less likely now, I'd say. The rematch will be the biggest women's fight of any kind ever and there's no way she'll branch out to wrestling until after that.

Clutch
November 15th, 2015, 2:10 AM
sooooooo happy to see Ronda get her ass handed to her. This is PERFECT. I love it :hyper:

The Law
November 15th, 2015, 2:10 AM
That was a Cena/Lesnar level domination.

Percussion
November 15th, 2015, 2:11 AM
Ronda's bravado and aggressiveness was met equally and oppositely and then some by the composure and strategy of Holm.

Rousey has Tyson'd her recent opponents before ever stepping in the cage and Holm was psychologically above it from the signing of the fight to the ending bell.

Hats off Holly.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 2:12 AM
That was a Cena/Lesnar level domination.

Cena/Lesnar wasn't that one sided.

The Law
November 15th, 2015, 2:19 AM
Rousey's been taken to the hospital.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 2:20 AM
Well, no shit.

Kneeneighbor
November 15th, 2015, 2:23 AM
Here is the thing about her in UFC; she was very smart with the way she promoted herself. Similar to Lesnar she played the roll well and hyped each of her fights to the tilt and made a lot of cash. From what I've heard from some of the people I know well who have covered her she is a totally different person away from the UFC but she knows how to maximize her money.

Slutty McWhoreface
November 15th, 2015, 2:40 AM
I'll bet that Rousey wishes she went to WWE now... It looks like her stock is about to take a massive plunge.

She over-trained that ego more than her striking offense/defense.

It's about time someone knocked some humility into her manly looking ass.

Eddie Brock
November 15th, 2015, 2:45 AM
HOLLY HOLM STRAIGHT WRECKED THAT. Like that fight wasn't close from like the middle of the 1st round when Holm started landing blows onward.

Fro
November 15th, 2015, 2:50 AM
I love Ronda and root for her but it was fun to see her get knocked out. I love how she has created a WWE-style persona that people seem to either love or hate. I don't watch WWE but I imagine she has a WWE career waiting for her if she wants to eventually make that switch full time but I expect she'll come back and win the UFC title back.

ESPN is showing highlights but they keep on NOT showing the knockout. Strange. Holm's interview on sportscenter just now was really good, she seems really nice and cool.

Slutty McWhoreface
November 15th, 2015, 2:56 AM
Holm made Rousey look like a chump amateur... Holm side-stepped her like she was nothing.

that's what happens when you buy into your own hype and disrespect someone by not shaking their hand before a fight.

Rousey has no fucking class. I hope getting knocked on her flat ass has changed her view on life.

The lovely and humble Holly Holm deserves this. I am genuinely happy for her.

Perhaps Rousey can pose for some more heavily airbrushed photo spreads... heavy around the adam's apple. maybe her and Charlotte can touch dicks in the WWE locker room.

Fro
November 15th, 2015, 3:01 AM
Ronda is a WWE heel except people think it's real. She's brilliant.

Slutty McWhoreface
November 15th, 2015, 3:20 AM
I don't buy for a minute that it's a gimmick. I just think that she's a cunt.

I don't see how she is in any way a WWE "heel." aside from being an ego maniac--she has been heavily affiliated with fellow ego maniac- The Rock.

every interview that I've ever seen/heard with her, she has been an arrogant twat.

These UFC fighters that do ham it up for the camera-- like they are WWE personalities-- get brought down to reality with a well-placed high kick to the chops.

Spedizzo
November 15th, 2015, 3:22 AM
This really put into perspective how overhyped Ronda really was

Ronda never really fought anyone who was above average with the exception of maybe Miesha Tate whose skill set falls right into Ronda's judo.

Holly made Ronda look like a complete amateur and pretty much embarrassed someone hailed as the most dominant champion ever

Ronda is supposed to be able to beat men, Floyd Mayweather, Cyboyg, etc???

A lot was answered tonight

And then she runs out of the cage like a childish twat

her dominant record consists of beating part time moms who went into MMA to lose weight. This is what happens when she fights someone who is a real boxer and trains with Greg Jackson.

Kneeneighbor
November 15th, 2015, 3:27 AM
That's exactly the point, she made her fights must watch and raked in cash knowing that all along. She used every opportunity to sell her self and increase her earnings.

Hero!
November 15th, 2015, 3:28 AM
Will be watching this later. Genuinely surprised, but I did say Ronda looked sickly at weigh-ins. Congrats to the new champ, sounds like she really earned it. Dana is probably crying a river right now, as he will when Mcgregor gets knocked back to the potato farm.

how was mxylplxs title defense? More of the same?

Slutty McWhoreface
November 15th, 2015, 3:47 AM
Yuppers. she's been so used to being the top dog in the female division, that she may never recover from this loss.

I know one thing... she had better take her striking more seriously if she wants to even hang with Holly at all in a possible rematch.

Chris Scott
November 15th, 2015, 6:23 AM
Just watched this, Holy Holm WOW, she was great what a fight by her. Always been a Holly Holm fan, I like her fighting style.

LOCONUT
November 15th, 2015, 6:33 AM
Pretty common stuff. I'd imagine that a ton of money was made tonight. She will never again fight with 18-1 odds so it makes sense that this was the loss.

chatty
November 15th, 2015, 7:02 AM
Boxing skills paid dividend. No martial artist is beating a boxer at stand up and Rousey always takes shots coming in. Holm showed some good takedown offence but simply put this was a boxer putting a lesson on a ground fighter by showing superior footwork and distancing.

Holm isnt even a puncher and you had some people saying she could beat Floyd lol.

AudioDynamite
November 15th, 2015, 8:04 AM
Boxing skills paid dividend. No martial artist is beating a boxer at stand up and Rousey always takes shots coming in. Holm showed some good takedown offence but simply put this was a boxer putting a lesson on a ground fighter by showing superior footwork and distancing.

Holm isnt even a puncher and you had some people saying she could beat Floyd lol.

Doesn't hurt Holm got a damn lucky kick to put her down after a bitchy shove.

lotjx
November 15th, 2015, 8:31 AM
The question will be what kind of champ, Holly will be. Right now, she has to carry that division ie carry UFC. She cannot lose or even look weak in her next title defense. If she does then yeah is a one hit wonder. I am sure Dana knows this and is going to wait to see if Rhonda can go next if she can't then its scrub city. If Cyborg is next and she eats Holly then the division is fucked. Cyborg is their worst possible option.

chatty
November 15th, 2015, 9:42 AM
Doesn't hurt Holm got a damn lucky kick to put her down after a bitchy shove.

Lol Holm absolutely dominated her, it was a one sided beat down. Lucky kick my arse, Rousey was completely stunned of a straight left (which Holm landed at will throughout) and would have been put out anyway, the punch had her near done then she finished her with the kick.

Rousey was completely out of her element against a boxer who knew how judge distance and use footwork to flummox Ronda. Ronda resorted to terrible lunging and telegraphing wild punches because she had nothing else.

Her stand up game is pretty awful tbh, Holm made her look like an amateur.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 10:31 AM
her dominant record consists of beating part time moms

She hasn't beaten Stephanie yet.

The Electrifying One
November 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I'm glad Rousey lost, but mainly because I can't help but always root against the favourite.

What I think is odd here is that before the fight nobody was predicting a Rousey defeat, but now she's lost there's widespread opinion that she had gotten complacent, was egotistical and her streak was against weak opponents.

Whether this is true or revisionist history, the fact that people are already bestowing the same praise they had for Rousey onto Holm makes it all faintly ridiculous.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 11:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaR8QHxqF8

I love Miesha.

Chris Scott
November 15th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Lol Holm absolutely dominated her, it was a one sided beat down. Lucky kick my arse, Rousey was completely stunned of a straight left (which Holm landed at will throughout) and would have been put out anyway, the punch had her near done then she finished her with the kick.

Rousey was completely out of her element against a boxer who knew how judge distance and use footwork to flummox Ronda. Ronda resorted to terrible lunging and telegraphing wild punches because she had nothing else.

:yes:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

AudioDynamite
November 15th, 2015, 11:05 AM

So her shoving her down like a bitch then kicking her in the head THEN ground and pound had nothing to do with it?

Percussion
November 15th, 2015, 11:15 AM
So her shoving her down like a bitch then kicking her in the head THEN ground and pound had nothing to do with it?

It had to do with the culmination of a beatdown.

chatty
November 15th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Your butthurt mate. Rousey got dominated and sparked out. The fight wasnt even close, it was one way domination from start to end. Holm even owned her in the clinch and took her down just for the fun of it.

Torn
November 15th, 2015, 11:19 AM
What I think is odd here is that before the fight nobody was predicting a Rousey defeat, but now she's lost there's widespread opinion that she had gotten complacent, was egotistical and her streak was against weak opponents.

Whether this is true or revisionist history, the fact that people are already bestowing the same praise they had for Rousey onto Holm makes it all faintly ridiculous.

Yeah good post. It's classic behaviour of a large subset of MMA fans. As soon as someone loses they were never that good in the first place, everyone they fought was trash, etc. People lose fights. Playing down previous accomplishments ie 7 title defenses in a row and becoming the biggest draw in the sport in the process is hilarious behavior and if anything losses like this (same with losses like Fedor's, Anderson's), should put into perspective how impressive that was. Jose Aldo will get the same shit if he loses to McGregor.

chatty
November 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Holm looked past her best when she left boxing, her best years were behind her and she hasnt really looked all that good in MMA up till now tbh. Its no doubt why Rousey was favourite.

I think it does highlight the lack of depth in the womens division though when a past best pretty much feather fisted former boxer dominates and KOs the best female fighter with ease.

Rousey is still a great female MMA fighter but her division is poor, her last fight was against an accountant who took up the sport four years ago to get fit FFS.

Chris Scott
November 15th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Watched it again and you can hardly say Holly pushed Rhonda down, she was hit with a left again and was kinda stumbling to the mat anyway.

Percussion
November 15th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Who gives the first fuck if she did shove her down?

It's a fight ... don't get shoved down.

Pablo Diablo
November 15th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Even if she did push her down though, we all realize that's just a different type of "takedown" right?

Hero!
November 15th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Yeah good post. It's classic behaviour of a large subset of MMA fans. As soon as someone loses they were never that good in the first place, everyone they fought was trash, etc. People lose fights. Playing down previous accomplishments ie 7 title defenses in a row and becoming the biggest draw in the sport in the process is hilarious behavior and if anything losses like this (same with losses like Fedor's, Anderson's), should put into perspective how impressive that was. Jose Aldo will get the same shit if he loses to McGregor.

:yes: So much fucking truth. A week ago Ronda was fighting a "shallow pool" and "easy wins" and now she's being trashed because she finally lost.

Every great loses. It's all about the rebound. Btw, for anyone thinking her stock has gone done: This loss is on every major news outlet. And no, the headlines are not about Holmes, they're all about Ronda. She still makes Dana a lot of money and she's gonna keep making a lot of money in any venture she goes into.

Chris Scott
November 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Who gives the first fuck if she did shove her down?

It's a fight ... don't get shoved down.

Even if she did push her down though, we all realize that's just a different type of "takedown" right?

Yeah I know what you're both saying, I was basically saying that she hardly shoved her down it was more from another left that had her on her way.

Percussion
November 15th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah I know what you're both saying, I was basically saying that she hardly shoved her down it was more from another left that had her on her way.

My timing sucks, I was still considering AudioDynamite's nonsense.

Fanny Batter
November 15th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Was hoping that would happen after the weigh in. Bullrushing Holm then having an autistic rage when she had the audacity to show a bit of mettle. Then not touching gloves. Then the shot after the bell in round 1. Karma for not respecting a genuinely good human in Holly. Do that to a spastic moron like Bethe but treat the good sports properly.

Finish was fucking mega. What is it with the head kick being an exclamation point for dominant upsets?! Gonzaga/Cro Cop, Dillashaw/Barao, now this. This is why we love the sport, incredible scenes. Holm showed her credentials as a clinical striker, if she has a timid opponent she will pick apart from the outside but lacks the output to be emphatic, but she is a top matador.

Personally, I would look to do Holm vs Tate around March then the winner facing Rousey at UFC 200. No need benching Holm until July, especially when Tate herself has a fanbase to the point of it surely doing a decent buyrate. Maybe even do it at the Superbowl weekend. I think Holm would beat an aggressive Tate quite handily setting up the biggest fight of the year.

The Law
November 15th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Ronda losing was best for business. So much more interest in this division for next year than if Ronda had won again. Holm vs. Tate would be a big fight, winner fights Rousey at UFC 200. Cyborg is still lurking. Before the only thing we had was the superfight against Cyborg. Now there's probably two years of big fights set up.

Clutch
November 15th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Ronda losing was best for business. So much more interest in this division for next year than if Ronda had won again. Holm vs. Tate would be a big fight, winner fights Rousey at UFC 200. Cyborg is still lurking. Before the only thing we had was the superfight against Cyborg. Now there's probably two years of big fights set up.

:yes: exactly

Tainted Eclipse
November 15th, 2015, 12:55 PM
ronda losing is best for the division but bad for her. so much of her appeal was the fact that she was SO much better than all her competition. maybe she will still be able to be a major name in MMA and culture in general but she's not what she was anymore.

lotjx
November 15th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Tate couldn't beat Rousey, twice. Why anyone thinks that Holmes/Tate is going to be a big fight is out of there mind. The only big fight is Rousey/Holmes II. No one wants to see Cyborg fight, but Cyborg. She has to pass a drug test possibly, so good luck with that. I don't see it being that good for business in the short term. Holmes is not going to be the draw Rhonda was. Tate has never been a draw. The big money is in the redemption of Rhonda. That could work for the long term, but short term..the women's division is terrible.

Percussion
November 15th, 2015, 1:03 PM
I want to see Cyborg fight.

chatty
November 15th, 2015, 2:02 PM
Tate couldn't beat Rousey, twice. Why anyone thinks that Holmes/Tate is going to be a big fight is out of there mind. The only big fight is Rousey/Holmes II. No one wants to see Cyborg fight, but Cyborg. She has to pass a drug test possibly, so good luck with that. I don't see it being that good for business in the short term. Holmes is not going to be the draw Rhonda was. Tate has never been a draw. The big money is in the redemption of Rhonda. That could work for the long term, but short term..the women's division is terrible.

Why not - A beats B and B beats C doesn't mean C cant beat A. It'll not be as big as Ronda v Holm II but it will still be a big fight. Cyborg, if on anything, would be able to pass a drug test easily - the drugs testing in combat sports (well sports in general) are laughably well behind those producing the drugs. Most athletes are juiced to the max and already getting away with it.

Seanny One Ball
November 15th, 2015, 2:34 PM
That headkick reminded me of Yves vs Josh from back in the day

Eddie Brock
November 15th, 2015, 2:35 PM
Rousey's standup is appallingly bad. You could walk into any boxing gym in the country and see boys of 12 or so who have a better grasp of the fundamentals than she does. Credit to her though, she's headlined shows without having an ounce of standup ability but all the overrating of her was crazy.

Tate's the obvious challenger for Holm if they don't do an immediate rematch, isn't she?

chatty
November 15th, 2015, 2:43 PM
I dunno what was the highlight of the fight. Holm pivotting and hitting a sweet chin music on Ronda or where she ducked under her telegraphed punch - I laughed so hard at both those moments, Holm was great.

Spedizzo
November 15th, 2015, 3:11 PM

Womens MMA is very new. The talent level isn't great. Some of Ronda's opponents got into MMA recently and got into it just to lose weight. Most of them do not nearly have the kind of money and training camps Ronda has. Miesha Tate is her only real opponent and her best rival.

Ronda has been the most overhyped female of the 21st century when she really is just an exceptional judo athlete who mostly dominated part time moms in a new sport. This was her first fight against someone who is a legitimate fighter who had a real training camp (Jackson MMA) and she made Ronda look like a fucking idiot in every aspect of the fight.

Ronda's striking was pitiful, she couldn't get it to the ground like she wanted, and her strategy of plodding forward against a technical striker with good footwork was head scratching. For someone as overhyped as she was for beating the level of competition she has, the backlash she got was expected. She isn't a humble athlete and for the most part is an immature and childish twat.

I, like most, thought Ronda would dominate based on the small sample we saw against mostly filler opponents. But we were wrong and she was truly exposed. This is absolutely nothing like Anderson Silva or Fedor who have been beating legitimate competition in MMA for years and years. And you would be insane if you think Jose Aldo got the same response.

Chris Scott
November 15th, 2015, 3:27 PM
I dunno what was the highlight of the fight. Holm pivotting and hitting a sweet chin music on Ronda or where she ducked under her telegraphed punch - I laughed so hard at both those moments, Holm was great.

Both were along with every left she kept tagging her with.

Chris Scott
November 15th, 2015, 3:28 PM
In fact the more I look at Holm, the more I fancy her.

Percussion
November 15th, 2015, 3:29 PM
In fact the more I look at Holm, the more I fancy her.

She's a preachers daughter ... just sayin'.

Seanny One Ball
November 15th, 2015, 3:50 PM
Are none of you aware that if you can be touched you can be hurt?

Fucking hell with the overreactions.

Chris Scott
November 15th, 2015, 4:24 PM
She's a preachers daughter ... just sayin'.

Haha guess I'm sticking to just looking then.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 6:57 PM
:yes: So much fucking truth. A week ago Ronda was fighting a "shallow pool" and "easy wins" and now she's being trashed because she finally lost.

Every great loses. It's all about the rebound. Btw, for anyone thinking her stock has gone done: This loss is on every major news outlet. And no, the headlines are not about Holmes, they're all about Ronda. She still makes Dana a lot of money and she's gonna keep making a lot of money in any venture she goes into.

This.

The rematch is almost always bigger. The SummerSlam rematch was a much bigger as a match than when Brock ended the streak. Same for Shawn/Taker at 26, where what they did a year prior let them build it as the biggest match ever. Rocky/Clubber II was the bigger fight because you knew Rocky could be hurt and lose. Same will be true here. Especially when there's a shocking upset, it just plants the perfect story.

Really, thinking about it including wrestling terms, the only major rematch I can think of that wasn't in some way bigger than the first is Rock/Cena II.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 7:13 PM
Love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hmfzFh56Vo

chatty
November 15th, 2015, 7:14 PM
This.

The rematch is almost always bigger. The SummerSlam rematch was a much bigger as a match than when Brock ended the streak. Same for Shawn/Taker at 26, where what they did a year prior let them build it as the biggest match ever. Rocky/Clubber II was the bigger fight because you knew Rocky could be hurt and lose. Same will be true here. Especially when there's a shocking upset, it just plants the perfect story.

Really, thinking about it including wrestling terms, the only major rematch I can think of that wasn't in some way bigger than the first is Rock/Cena II.

Ali/Frazier II, Rock/Hogan II, Leonard/Duran II. If Floyd/Pacquaio were to fight again the second would pale in comparison to the first. It all depends on whats at stake in the second tbh.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 7:19 PM
True, but it also depends if there was some upset in the first too. If Floyd ever lost, the rematch would have been huge

Spedizzo
November 15th, 2015, 8:55 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

Nash Diesel
November 15th, 2015, 9:49 PM
Yeah Im still wondering where the Holm supporters suddenly came crawling out of lol.

Totally not what I expected to go down but there was always a chance regardless how subpar Holm looked against even more subpar talent prior, she has hands and they wear small 4oz gloves. Props to Holm what a nice knockout over the best of the best.

Nash Diesel
November 15th, 2015, 10:01 PM
And can the fucking world shut up about her being "exposed". Nobody claimed she was on Holms level striking and there isnt anyone in the top 10 that Ronda hasnt mowed through that makes me think theyd do better the next time trying to do what Holm did. Its like saying Chael exposed Andersons weak TDD we all knew he had since Pride.

Atty
November 15th, 2015, 10:02 PM
The most curious thing in the rematch will be whether Ronda tries to be Ronda. She constantly tries to outdo her opponents in their specialty and if she sticks to her game/doesn't try to do that, we could well see the exact opposite fight. I have the feeling that she'll be like Rocky not wanting to go southpaw though and think it'll prove something if she wins a boxing match, which is how she could well lose again. It really was a matter of time before she couldn't outdo her opponent at their game, I just thought she'd course correct if she realized she was getting beat like she was in the first round. I had the feeling that she could lose after the weigh in, but it wasn't anything worth going on or anything different from that voice in the back of my head that goes "will this be the time?" before every fight of hers.

Honestly thought her first loss would be to a McMahon.

Nash Diesel
November 15th, 2015, 10:17 PM
She hasnt really ever tried to outdue her opponents. So she knocked out Bethe, Bethe was not some world class striker. Everyone else, multiple skills, Ronda subbed or knocked them all out in seconds.

Clutch
November 15th, 2015, 10:22 PM
the bookies must be crying a river today lol

MikeHunt
November 15th, 2015, 10:43 PM
i doubt it mainly due to not many people betting on the fight due to the odds being mental in favour of rousey, i mean no one is chucking a couple of 1000 on an 18/1 shot ever.

Spedizzo
November 15th, 2015, 10:45 PM
The women's bantamweight division has not developed enough to justify the hype that Ronda has gotten. Joe fucking Rogan crying when she beat Beth Correira who got into MMA to lose weight calling her the best MMA athlete ever when you got freaks like Jon Jones around? That, and her arrogance (just look at her last tweet before the fight, her disrespect toward every single opponent) is why so many people are happy she got KTFO.

She is an exceptional judo athlete, but some of her opponents pretty much don't have full training camps in their career up until they face her (and their value rises) because they have no money while she can train with anyone in the world whenever she wants. Most of her opponents got title shots after 1 or 2 wins in the UFC. If a female equivalent Sage Northcutt was in the women's division she would be given a title shot around now and have already been fed to Ronda while she is green and still not truly experienced. That's how shallow the division is.

Its no fault of her own, and UFC gives her the best they have to offer... But there isn't much competition. It was also inevitable that eventually someone was going to come along with a much more complete game than Ronda who would dethrone her because it's obvious she has many holes in her game and it happens in every sport... But the backlash was to be expected.

And her corner is insane too. "Beautiful Ronda" while she's getting destroyed..wtf are they thinking? Nick Diaz tweeted she needs new trainers and he is right.

Mik
November 16th, 2015, 6:17 AM
Nick Diaz is hardly one to talk there. His corner are about as bad as it gets. Not to mention he thinks that he has won every fight he's ever had.

I dont think that its ever nice to see a woman get knocked out cold, but Rousey has been asking for it (I dont mean in that sense), she has been too enamoured with her own skills and too dismissive and disrespectful of her opponents. I get that she has to get into 'fight mode' and to find something offensive about her opponents to be able to get there (Holm has done nothing wrong in the build up to justify the way she behaved at the weigh ins or with the pre-fight handshake). But there is a difference in being disrespectful there and being disrespectful in the Octagon. Believing that she can be a world champion boxer, believing that her striking is better than everyone else's in the division when she's trained it for 4 years and someone like Holm has trained for 20, believing that she was invincible and that the rest of the division is years behind her...thats arrogant and it has clearly come back to bite her. She had no decent gameplan for the fight with Holm, she walked forward in straight lines, bullrushed, chin up in the air, tried to take down and had no plan b whatsoever.

What she found wasnt someone else who was invincible, it wasnt someone new who has come along and destroyed all in her path. Holm might not have struggled as much as some may want you to believe. She's found it difficult to apply a decisive game with women who HAVE respected her striking and have fought accordingly, defensively, looking for opportunities, mixing wrestling in to try and take advantages of her inexperience. But Holm was calm, she wasnt over-awed, she is significantly more experienced in prize fighting than Rousey was and most importantly she was capable of executing a gameplan. It must've been easy training really. Work on not getting into a clinch (the idea that a boxer might have no ideally how to get out of a clinch is ridiculous since its a huge part of boxing), use footwork to get away from any rushes, if you're taken down protect your arms at all costs...all of which is focused towards forcing Rousey to fight a stand up game where she has an alarmingly high opinion of herself, then its all yours.

Everyone talked about how invincible Cain was and his unstoppable cardio. He soon found that taking clean punches and not being able to get his own off wore down that gas tank pretty quickly and so did Rousey. She took so many clean shots in just over one round. Holm was literally winding them up and telegraphing them and Rousey had no head movement whatsoever, her legs were gone from under her.

I'm pleased for Holm, but I am not entirely sure that she'll replace Rousey now. I think its one of those 'style make fights' kinds of things. Holm has a game that could well beat Rousey more than Rousey could beat her, but I wouldnt necessarily expect Holm to beat Zingano or Tate...or Cyborg, even though Rousey has certainly beat the first two.

I think that Rousey will have to adapt now. McGregor talks about the exhaustion of being the face of the UFC and Ronda has done it for longer than he has. She needs a new camp. If she wants to be dominant she needs to be more Judo-centric than she's been the last few fights, because obviously thats her greatest strength. If she had fought Holm with defensive striking and worked in for the take downs I think that she would've worn Holm down and eventually secured an arm bar, it was foolish to try anything other in hindsight. She has lost that aura of invincibility that had the likes of Zingano, Davis and Bethe beaten before they even stepped into the Octagon though, so I do think that she might find her fights being a little more competitive now (ie people not trying to flying knee her into oblivion).

It does really make a mockery of anyone that claimed her to be a top P4P fighter though. She has one dominant discipline that she has trained most of her life and its just been humbled by someone with another dominant discipline that she has trained most of her life. To put her anywhere on a list with people like Mighty Mouse, Jon Jones, Jose Aldo is an insult. The women's bantamweight division is light on skill in the same way that the Men's heaviest UFC division always has been until the likes of Werdum come along (but if you look at the male heavyweights, there's not a whole load of well rounded fighters up there). If you look at Joanna Jędrzejczyk in the fight before and how she adapted to someone not being afraid of her and Cláudia Gadelha as her likely next opponent, there is a lot more well rounded skill there than at Bantamweight.

Still, always fun to see a shock isnt it?

Beer-Belly
November 16th, 2015, 7:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu5Px81YKUc

chatty
November 16th, 2015, 8:27 AM
Its always fun watching a asshole get their ass handed to them. This probably comes in second only to Chino bashing Adrien Broner up for me, some of the fanboy meltdowns only make it all the better. Reading back through some threads on the MMA and boxing boards with people saying Rousey would flatten Mayweather with ease has been equally laughable and embarrassing, you basically have a lot of sensible people saying that her only shot would be to get him to the ground and in a submission but that would not be easy against a guy who is by far the most fluid combat athlete in the world for movement, speed, accuracy and in this case would have a massive power advantage yet you have a group who would not have it - pretty hilarious.

Rousey can come again, I honestly don't think she can beat Holm but she is still dominant over the rest of the division. I do think Holm may struggle a lot more with Tate and Zingano despite Rousey having a better time with them - thats how comat sports works, its not as simple as beating the person who beat A/B/C means you will.

Its good for the division though, whatever your thoughts are on Rousey she has been a massive influence in giving credibility to female combat sports and hopefully that continues, its still in its infancy (which is why its ridiculous to compare them to their male counterparts) but hopefully this acts more as a catalyst to grow it rather than just a good marketing run and then slipping back into the background like what happened in boxing in the 90s.

Chris Scott
November 16th, 2015, 8:46 AM
wrong thread

chatty
November 16th, 2015, 10:21 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/ExhaustedWindingDassie.gif

Nash Diesel
November 16th, 2015, 12:29 PM
So do we see a rematch before Holm defends her title? Hard to say. Ronda has been busy, she just fought less than 3 months ago, this fight if I remember correctly was not supposed to go down until January originally. She has a lot on her plate these days, nobody who has been in her position has had as much on her plate, not GSP, Iceman, Tito, Jones, Anderson, none of them. She wants to rest until UFC 200, that'd be smart.

UFC 200 could be:

Holm v. Rousey 2
Holm/whoever she defends against prior to 200 v. Rousey
If Holm is still champ, gets injured, they could Rousey v. Tate 3, winner gets title shot.

I'm not huge on immediate rematches but I think that if you're a dominant champion like Rousey, Anderson, you should get one. GSP didn't get one because Serra was his first title defense.

Eddie Brock
November 16th, 2015, 3:00 PM
I just don't think there's any way she isn't fighting Rousey next.

Neither the UFC nor obviously Holly want to risk Holly losing and derailing Holm/Rousey 2. Now that she's champion Holm gets points and will make money fighting Rousey again. It's also a fight that she dominated so she should have confidence that she can do the same. The only way I see Holm/Rousey 2 not happening is if Ronda doesn't want it, and I don't think that's likely. She's already said that she'll be back so I don't think she's retiring.

Nash Diesel
November 16th, 2015, 3:08 PM
Yeah I don't think she's retiring, but I do know that UFC 200 is what, 8 months from now? They might want to keep the Holm train hot and risk the rematch. MIGHT being the key word. But it definitely buys the UFC some time to sort out a challenger if Ronda wins the rematch. Holm is still a mystery against others in the division, just because you beat Ronda doesn't mean you can do the same to everyone else. So she could go in there with Tate or Cat or McMann or whoever and get whipped and then what? The big money rematch goes out the window. It's also a good thing for Ronda. She had really nothing in stone after this fight.

Zyphlin
November 16th, 2015, 3:18 PM
Ronda has been the most overhyped female of the 21st century when she really is just an exceptional judo athlete who mostly dominated part time moms in a new sport

So in a way, Ronda was female American Royce Gracie? Someone who absolutely is talented, but somewhat narrow in their talent, and benefited greatly from competitors that simply weren't as adept or skilled at performing in this particular arena or against this style of opponent?

Nash Diesel
November 16th, 2015, 3:38 PM
People who think this may be Ronda's toughest test:

It won't be

Holms is a boxer who began messing around in MMA this year.

Her boxing hasn't been that effective, her wins have not been that impressive. She has a split decision win against a 5-5 fighter THIS YEAR.... that is 7-8 months ago. You don't just magically improve enough to beat the most dominant women's fighter in the world within a year. Ronda is an olympic judo champion. Her other sole win in the UFC has also been very unimpressive.

Unless Ronda fucks around and keeps the fight standing, there is absolutely no reason at all for her to lose. The only question is whether or not she decides to keep it a boxing fight which she might be arrogant enough to do.

Sped goes where the wins go, look at this post before the fight and then his posts after Rousey lost. Suddenly she's overhyped and only good because she fights part time moms.....

Percussion
November 16th, 2015, 3:44 PM
So Miesha Tate, Sarah Kaufman, Sara McMann, Alexis Davis, and Cat Zingano are nothing but part time moms now ... ?

Nash Diesel
November 16th, 2015, 3:47 PM
So Miesha Tate, Sarah Kaufman, Sara McMann, Alexis Davis, and Cat Zingano are nothing but part time moms now ... ?

Apparently. I'd love to see Holm against any of these women.

Hero!
November 16th, 2015, 3:48 PM
Yeah Im still wondering where the Holm supporters suddenly came crawling out of lol.

It's amazing, isn't it? A week ago, she didnt stand a chance, 18:1 odds!!! Now she's this world class mega elite boxer that everyone KNEW would expose Ronda "the sham" Rousey as a fraud.

sam_elmendorf
November 16th, 2015, 3:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Nash Diesel
November 16th, 2015, 4:08 PM
It's amazing, isn't it? A week ago, she didnt stand a chance, 18:1 odds!!! Now she's this world class mega elite boxer that everyone KNEW would expose Ronda "the sham" Rousey as a fraud.

I'm a fan of what Rousey does in the cage, not a fan of her personality but that's irrelevant. I just don't understand where people are coming from because how can you praise Holm but knock the shit out of Rousey's competition? That's basically saying Holm isn't shit either lol.

The same thing will happen to Jon Jones because a lot of fans do not like him personally because of what he's done outside of the cage and I get that, it's hard to be a fan of someone like Jones but you watch....When he loses, and he will, motherfuckers will yap about it like he wasn't shit while the smarter fans will sit back and enjoy the show lol.

Spedizzo
November 16th, 2015, 7:57 PM
Sped goes where the wins go, look at this post before the fight and then his posts after Rousey lost. Suddenly she's overhyped and only good because she fights part time moms.....

People can't be wrong? Obviously perception was wrong and that's part of the entertainment of the sport.

I elaborated my points in detail plenty about the small sample size of women's MMA and the quality of opponents. Read my posts instead of worrying about people jumping on or off bandwagons like children

If you don't think she was overhyped in the slightest at all then you are insane. "The greatest pound for pound fighter on the planet" does not perform like that

keep bringing up Jon Jones, Aldo, Anderson Silva all your little hearts desire but their level of competition was on a different level

I would expect Conor McGregor to get some shit from fans if he gets brutally knocked out by Aldo, but he has not garnered the hype Rousey has

Spedizzo
November 16th, 2015, 8:22 PM

I don't think anyone said they knew Ronda would be exposed

Spedizzo
November 16th, 2015, 8:25 PM

No, Cat Zingano is I am assuming if she makes 18k a fight when she isn't fighting Rousey and is a mom. And while those names might be good (most of them only have like ~3-4 UFC fights) that is essentially ALL of women's MMA in a nutshell. A vast majority of women's MMA fighters compete part time.

Ronda's last opponent had her first MMA fight 3 years ago for fuck sake and already had a title match? That says it all.Practically any woman in the world who wins 6-7 matches in any organization gets a title shot.

Percussion
November 16th, 2015, 8:43 PM
No, Cat Zingano is I am assuming if she makes 18k a fight when she isn't fighting Rousey and is a mom. And while those names might be good (most of them only have like ~3-4 UFC fights) that is essentially ALL of women's MMA in a nutshell. A vast majority of women's MMA fighters compete part time.

Ronda's last opponent had her first MMA fight 3 years ago for fuck sake and already had a title match? That says it all.Practically any woman in the world who wins 6-7 matches in any organization gets a title shot.

Even if it were all of women's MMA it's still women Rousey has fought and defeated, and more importantly it's women who didn't start MMA just to lose weight or to earn extra money to supplement their babysitting income or whatever broad brush you're wanting to paint them with just because of the tired Bethe Correia story.

sam_elmendorf
November 16th, 2015, 8:53 PM
Taz says the fight was fixed. What kind of hole is he in to try to get publicity out of that.

lotjx
November 16th, 2015, 9:53 PM
We treat Brock like a God, but wasn't he like 6-2 and the competition in the heavyweight was sorta trash.

The Law
November 16th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Brock was 5-3 in MMA fights and 4-3 in the UFC.

The Law
November 16th, 2015, 10:16 PM
So do we see a rematch before Holm defends her title? Hard to say. Ronda has been busy, she just fought less than 3 months ago, this fight if I remember correctly was not supposed to go down until January originally. She has a lot on her plate these days, nobody who has been in her position has had as much on her plate, not GSP, Iceman, Tito, Jones, Anderson, none of them. She wants to rest until UFC 200, that'd be smart.

UFC 200 could be:

Holm v. Rousey 2
Holm/whoever she defends against prior to 200 v. Rousey
If Holm is still champ, gets injured, they could Rousey v. Tate 3, winner gets title shot.

I'm not huge on immediate rematches but I think that if you're a dominant champion like Rousey, Anderson, you should get one. GSP didn't get one because Serra was his first title defense.

I think if I were the booker I might go with Holm v. Tate in March, winner fights Rousey at 200. Holm's first defense will generate some interest, and she either gets a quality win or the belt ends up with Ronda's old rival. And then assuming Rousey beats Tate we can do the Rousey/Holm rematch at the end of 2016. Winner gets Cyborg in early 2017.

lotjx
November 16th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Tate getting a title match while being Rousey's tackling dummy seems a bit odd. Cyborg is probably who Holmes should face if Rousey is not ready, but I am pretty sure Dana knows that Cyborg will HH destroy due to the horse pills. I am thinking Dana may throw some fresh meat to Holmes and then do the rematch.

If Rousey is overrated with one loss, what the fuck is Brock? Holy shit, I didn't know he was that bad, no wonder he took the fake sport vacation package. Good on him.

Atty
November 17th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Tate's becoming rather hugely underrated. I think they'll fast track the rematch not because Holly will lose in the meantime, but because she could. This fight as much as any shows us that we can't always predict what will happen and Holm/Ronda II is the biggest potential money maker everyone involved will ever see.

With Tate, there's every chance that she'll be champion in the next year, regardless of who wins the rematch. She knows Ronda so well that I could see her beating her. Kind of thought she would be the one to do it before Saturday happened. Last time they fought, she seemed to go off her game plan and play into Ronda's strengths and still went three rounds.

The Law
November 17th, 2015, 1:17 AM
Well, since everyone has decided that Ronda is a garbage fighter the transitive property would indicate that anyone she beats is also trash.

Eddie Brock
November 17th, 2015, 1:30 AM
With Ronda not being champion anymore could open up her vs. Cyborg at a catchweight of 140? Then, maybe Holm and Miesha for the belt with Ronda getting the winner or something.

Percussion
November 17th, 2015, 1:45 AM
If Cyborg wants to fight in UFC she can make weight. A male SHW isn't coming in to have a catchweight with a current HW, they just make 265 or scram. Before the lighter weights were adopted there weren't FW's challenging LW's to catchweight fights, they just made 155 or scrammed.

Why should it be different for Cyborg?

Eddie Brock
November 17th, 2015, 2:55 AM
See this mentality is the problem. You're acting like that's the most insane thing you can suggest, all the while, Ronda mentions losing weight and steroids in the same breath creating the narrative that the only reason she can't make the weight is because of said steroids. Is making a catch weight really that big of a deal?

chatty
November 17th, 2015, 6:18 AM
I don't think anyone is saying Ronda is a bad fighter tbf. With the level of hype she had it was always going to be a big fall when she she fell and people would over-react but obviously their is some valid points. Ronda is a great Judoka and thus far that style has been effective against everyone she has faced but there was always going to be a point when she would have to vary her style against someone who could combat that.

Even before the fight their was many who pointed out her stand up game was fairly weak, her punching and stance technique was pretty poor but she was able to use aggressiveness and strength to make that effective against others who were also fairly weak in that area. Come to fighting someone who is masterful in that area it was always going to be a challenge to overcome, I think most fell victim into believing that Rousey was strong enough and technically apt enough to be able to take Holm down and that is where the fight would be won.

I also think most didn't think that Rousey would be exposed so badly on her feet. Now a few things happened here that really brought her out of her element. Her footwork was no where near up to standard for fighting a boxer, especially a counter puncher at that. She really was out of her element, she just basically followed her around swinging wildly telegraphed punches.

Also her defence was terrible, I mean literally non-existant. Holm is known to be relatively feather fisted in boxing and shouldn't really be putting a hurt on with simple jabs and straight lefts, no doubt the change from 10-4 oz gloves have an effect but it shouldn't be that drastic. I don't think Rousey has a bad chin but she clearly has defensive issues, no head movement and doesn't have an IQ for conceiving punching combinations and if you don't see the punches then they have much more effect.

Credit to Holm who was well prepared to deal with take-down attempts also and pulling off the perfect game plan for herself but Rousey was exposed in that particular area, she is a good striker in her division but is miles behind Holm and would be against any top level boxer/kickboxer tbf.

As for the strength of the division, I think we all knew it was never that great - it isn't terrible but the fighters are unfairly compared to their male counterparts and I think thats unfair considering most of the male fighting styles have been practised for upwards of over centuries, females just haven't had that depth of combatants to make the divisions that strong yet as it is fairly new and it wikll only improve with time as long as it gets pushed.

Personally I hope they see this as a plus for the sport as with more marketable fighters the womens division could grow in strength, maybes you will get more female boxers jumping across and open the division out and give it more depth. You have some pretty good and known female fighters in Rousey, Holm, Tate and Cyborg, getting a round robin going between them could be fantastic.

Spedizzo
November 17th, 2015, 9:21 AM
Those are great points. Ronda up to this point was the most dominant fighter we have seen in the women's division without question... but it isn't insane to step back and say that the women's division is in its infancy and is still developing. When the competitors are getting titles shots for 2 wins inside the UFC, that means a lot of fighters are unproven and there are question marks everywhere.

I think the comparison of Ronda as a Royce Gracie type pioneer for Women's MMA is a great comparison, she is world class in a specialty (has Olympic level judo) and brought women's MMA to the public eye. But eventually someone will come along, adapt, and beat her.

Many of those who lost to Ronda fell right into her trap. Ronda wants you to bull-rush her so she can use her judo and do what she does best. In some cases, fighters like Beth Correira were no match to begin with and shouldn't have had a title shot at all so it made Ronda look like she was a Mike Tyson worldbeater when she took the fight to them.

Holly Holm was the perfect storm to beat Ronda. A technical striker with great footwork who let Ronda come to her, who also had a great training camp and team to prepare for her judo takedowns. Ronda kept getting tagged and kept getting frustrated. She kept doing the wrong thing plodding forward with amateur haymakers against a technical boxer. That is an area in which she was exposed. She had in between rounds to adjust her gameplan with her corner (who are awful) and she changed nothing.

To me, those aren't characteristics of the greatest pound for pound fighter of the 21st century who had Joe Rogan crying last fight. When she was tested she reverted to fighting like she was in a high school hallway. She looked like Forrest Griffin did against Anderson Silva. I am not taking away from any of her accomplishments, but I do not disagree with those who are saying maybe she isn't pound for pound #1 in the world, can beat men, can box with Floyd Mayweather, can wrestle Cain Valasquez, etc? Some of her hype (from myself include) was a bit far-fetched.

She was 12-0 in a very young division against a couple of alright opponents, and the rest against cans. How is that any fucking different than Shane Carwin going 12-0 as a heavyweight all via first round finish against other guys who can take your head off?? He wasn't called a "once in a lifetime athlete" like Ronder Owsey.

She is a great judo competitor and had a lot of us thinking maybe she was the complete MMA package and that the hype was real, but when in hot water she proved she is not all she is made out to be

Atty
November 17th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Ronda Rousey (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/ronda-rousey-fighter) and Floyd Mayweather have shared quite a few verbal sparring sessions over the years, but following a knockout loss over the weekend at UFC 193, the recently retired pound-for-pound boxing king actually defended his old foe.

Mayweather made a statement on Monday following allegations that he told his friend and hip-hop star 50 Cent to post a photo that mocked Rousey's loss (https://instagram.com/p/-H4mZqML6H/) to Holly Holm (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/holly-holm-fighter) over the weekend. The photo depicted a famous seen from "Rocky IV" where someone dies after a boxing match but the person has been replaced by Rousey after she was knocked out by Holm.

Mayweather vehemently denied that he told 50 Cent or anybody else to go after Rousey following her loss and he actually defended her because he's seen people be fans one minute and turn into piranha the next.

"I haven't really spoke to anyone about the Ronda Rousey situation, just to set the record straight," Mayweather told Fighthype.com (http://fighthype.com/mayweathernews/mayweather_defends_rousey_against_trolls.html) this week. "I don't have anything against MMA fighters. It's just like boxing; you win some, you lose some. A true champion can take a loss and bounce back.

"I don't think it's cool how everyone is trolling her on social media. Certain things you have to learn. People will love you on Friday and then Sunday morning, it's nothing but negative comments and people making jokes and people making fun about you, which I don't think is cool."

Rousey has only one statement via Instagram (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-ronda-rousey-breaks-her-silence-promises-i-ll-be-back-111515) since her loss to Holm on Saturday but the backlash she's received online has been overwhelming. Everyone from Presidential candidate Donald Trump to Lady Gaga (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/haymaker/lady-gaga-takes-a-shot-at-ronda-rousey-after-knockout-loss-at-ufc-193-111515) to Laila Ali (http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-laila-ali-to-ronda-rousey-the-best-in-the-world-don-t-get-beat-up-like-that-111615) have taken shots at Rousey after her loss.

Mayweather actually took the high road and had nothing but praise for Rousey after the first loss of her professional MMA career.

While he may have had his issues with Rousey over the years, Mayweather hopes nothing but the best for her when she returns and hopes she can do so with the same championship qualities that got her to the head of the table in the first place.

"I'm pretty sure she's a very, very strong person, but we still have to take into consideration that she has feelings," Mayweather said. "Everything happens for a reason. This was already written. Listen, if God says, 'In Floyd's career, I don't want him to lose,' you know what? I wasn't going to lose. That doesn't mean that I haven't took a loss before.

"I'm not talking about boxing; I'm just talking about life. When you lose a loved one, that's taking a loss. I think that everything is just a learning experience. In due time, she'll be able to bounce back and make some noise again in mixed martial arts."

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-floyd-mayweather-defends-ronda-rousey-amidst-intense-public-bashing-111715?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

Floyd is class.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Those are great points. Ronda up to this point was the most dominant fighter we have seen in the women's division without question... but it isn't insane to step back and say that the women's division is in its infancy and is still developing. When the competitors are getting titles shots for 2 wins inside the UFC, that means a lot of fighters are unproven and there are question marks everywhere.

I think the comparison of Ronda as a Royce Gracie type pioneer for Women's MMA is a great comparison, she is world class in a specialty (has Olympic level judo) and brought women's MMA to the public eye. But eventually someone will come along, adapt, and beat her.

Many of those who lost to Ronda fell right into her trap. Ronda wants you to bull-rush her so she can use her judo and do what she does best. In some cases, fighters like Beth Correira were no match to begin with and shouldn't have had a title shot at all so it made Ronda look like she was a Mike Tyson worldbeater when she took the fight to them.

Holly Holm was the perfect storm to beat Ronda. A technical striker with great footwork who let Ronda come to her, who also had a great training camp and team to prepare for her judo takedowns. Ronda kept getting tagged and kept getting frustrated. She kept doing the wrong thing plodding forward with amateur haymakers against a technical boxer. That is an area in which she was exposed. She had in between rounds to adjust her gameplan with her corner (who are awful) and she changed nothing.

To me, those aren't characteristics of the greatest pound for pound fighter of the 21st century who had Joe Rogan crying last fight. When she was tested she reverted to fighting like she was in a high school hallway. She looked like Forrest Griffin did against Anderson Silva. I am not taking away from any of her accomplishments, but I do not disagree with those who are saying maybe she isn't pound for pound #1 in the world, can beat men, can box with Floyd Mayweather, can wrestle Cain Valasquez, etc? Some of her hype (from myself include) was a bit far-fetched.

She was 12-0 in a very young division against a couple of alright opponents, and the rest against cans. How is that any fucking different than Shane Carwin going 12-0 as a heavyweight all via first round finish against other guys who can take your head off?? He wasn't called a "once in a lifetime athlete" like Ronder Owsey.

She is a great judo competitor and had a lot of us thinking maybe she was the complete MMA package and that the hype was real, but when in hot water she proved she is not all she is made out to be

Let me just say this...Ronda Rousey is STILL the most dominant fighter in WMMA. 1 loss does not somehow make Holly Holm the most dominant fighter in WMMA. Did you anyone claiming this see her previous 2 fights in the UFC? That's not domination. That's not running through the elite of the WMMA division with ease time and time again.

Shane Carwin=Ronda Rousey? That's new.

It's arguable to say that Holly Holm didn't deserve a title shot. Wow, she was a champion in Women's boxing. It's not like Ronda hasn't defeated champions and Olympians of other sports in the past and most had to actually fight someone ranked in the top 10 of this "young" division. A lot of these women who Ronda beat have been staples of WMMA for some time and are not just some random housewives.

I think the issue I have with the flip flopping opinion you and others have is just that, you went from praising the fuck out of her, to completely dogging her. Praise Holm's victory, speak about what Ronda did wrong, but there's a right and wrong way to do it. Acting like a troll, acting like you saw this coming a mile away is ridiculous.

chatty
November 17th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Holly Holm is the most dominant female in combat sports. No other athlete has achieved what she has, male or female tbf.

Mik
November 17th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I would expect Conor McGregor to get some shit from fans if he gets brutally knocked out by Aldo, but he has not garnered the hype Rousey has

If McGregor got knocked out by Aldo, it wouldnt be a huge surprise really. Aldo is possibly the greatest fighter in the history of the UFC. However if he lost to Aldo looking absolutely terrible in an element of his game he said that he could be world champion in...then he might get the same abuse. If McGregor gets knocked out, it will not be after two rounds of looking like an absolute striking amateur, I think we all know that.

Tate getting a title match while being Rousey's tackling dummy seems a bit odd. Cyborg is probably who Holmes should face if Rousey is not ready, but I am pretty sure Dana knows that Cyborg will HH destroy due to the horse pills. I am thinking Dana may throw some fresh meat to Holmes and then do the rematch.

If Rousey is overrated with one loss, what the fuck is Brock? Holy shit, I didn't know he was that bad, no wonder he took the fake sport vacation package. Good on him.

Honestly, you dont really know what you're talking about.

Brock WAS overrated and he WAS considered to be exposed when he was beat, but what he achieved in MMA was considered and still is considered incredible. Holly Holm is not called Holly Holmes.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Everyone knew Brock didn't have hands, it showed in the Carwin fight. There was no exposing a guy who was coming in at 31 years old with only wrestling to his cred. Just like Ronda, we all knew her hands were anything compared to Holm or even some of the people she beat. I can't even think of a striker she beat with her hands.

Percussion
November 17th, 2015, 11:17 AM
See this mentality is the problem. You're acting like that's the most insane thing you can suggest, all the while, Ronda mentions losing weight and steroids in the same breath creating the narrative that the only reason she can't make the weight is because of said steroids. Is making a catch weight really that big of a deal?

You didn't answer my question.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I think Cyborg will make 135 and we'll her and Ronda fight by the end of 2016. She's not cutting to 140 for the fuck of it. This loss Ronda suffered, it sucks, but she'll bounce back and we'll see that dream fight no doubt.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 11:37 AM
And Taz is a dumbass. Yeah I'm sure Ronda was like yeah I'll take a fucking dive, have my entire jaw destroyed just to take a break. I'm the first to point out the similarities in the fanbases, the way the UFC promotes and how it relates to pro wrestling but come on....Taz says "They don't want someone to sit at home for 5-7 months with the belt and not defending it" That shows how little he truly follows the sport or just shows he's being ignorant for ratings. Having Ronda sit out for awhile would be great for the division, win or lose, I just don't get why some wrestlers think that MMA=Pro Wrestling.

Spedizzo
November 17th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Let me just say this...Ronda Rousey is STILL the most dominant fighter in WMMA. 1 loss does not somehow make Holly Holm the most dominant fighter in WMMA. Did you anyone claiming this see her previous 2 fights in the UFC? That's not domination. That's not running through the elite of the WMMA division with ease time and time again.

It's arguable to say that Holly Holm didn't deserve a title shot. Wow, she was a champion in Women's boxing. It's not like Ronda hasn't defeated champions and Olympians of other sports in the past and most had to actually fight someone ranked in the top 10 of this "young" division. A lot of these women who Ronda beat have been staples of WMMA for some time and are not just some random housewives.

I think the issue I have with the flip flopping opinion you and others have is just that, you went from praising the fuck out of her, to completely dogging her. Praise Holm's victory, speak about what Ronda did wrong, but there's a right and wrong way to do it. Acting like a troll, acting like you saw this coming a mile away is ridiculous.

No, Shane Carwin is not Ronda Rousey, my point is they essentially have the exact same UFC credentials except Ronda Rousey is a "once in a lifetime athlete" because Joe Rogan said so.

And I NEVER said I saw it coming a mile away. If you read any of my posts I was just as shocked as everyone else. After the loss I took a step back, and I realized that some of her hype was warranted, but a lot of it was greatly exaggerated.

There are tons of trolls out there, but a lot of them are feeding off the fact that they don't like her because of what a twat she can be and are just happy to take a face plant.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 12:04 PM
The comparison with Carwin isn't even close. Ronda's been destroying established talent left and right, Carwin beat a bunch of cans, then went 2-2 against top 10 competition. And he was actually met with some extreme hype especially after the Gonzaga victory. I won't deny that Rogan and others like him have built her up to an absurd level but that's on them. At least they're not turning around after the loss and claiming this and that left and right and dogging her.

Spedizzo
November 17th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Everyone knew Brock didn't have hands, it showed in the Carwin fight. There was no exposing a guy who was coming in at 31 years old with only wrestling to his cred. Just like Ronda, we all knew her hands were anything compared to Holm or even some of the people she beat. I can't even think of a striker she beat with her hands.

There is not having hands, and there is the display Ronda put on against Holly at UFC 193. I don't think you ever have to have taken a boxing or kick boxing class in your life to simulate that performance. You CAN'T be a "once in a lifetime athlete" in MMA with hands like that.

And to stick with the Brock comparison... Brock wasn't as hyped as Ronda (the MMA purists never really accepted Brock), and when he lost he was considered exposed. Like Mik said, he is considered a success for his accomplishments just like Ronda is. She is a pioneer of women's MMA and is an all time great... but come on man, the hype was unreal. People were literally at the point wondering if she can beat male bantamweights.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 12:31 PM
There is not having hands, and there is the display Ronda put on against Holly at UFC 193. I don't think you ever have to have taken a boxing or kick boxing class in your life to simulate that performance. You CAN'T be a "once in a lifetime athlete" in MMA with hands like that.

And to stick with the Brock comparison... Brock wasn't as hyped as Ronda (the MMA purists never really accepted Brock), and when he lost he was considered exposed. Like Mik said, he is considered a success for his accomplishments just like Ronda is. She is a pioneer of women's MMA and is an all time great... but come on man, the hype was unreal. People were literally at the point wondering if she can beat male bantamweights.

Are you implying that there are not female martial artists who could defeat a male martial artist? The hype was unreal but what does that have to do with anything?

chatty
November 17th, 2015, 12:37 PM

Holm wasn't just a women's boxing champion tbf, she was THE womens boxing champion, no1 P4P, held titles at three different weights at the same time (ranked no 1 in all three weights) and pretty much beat a whose who of womens boxing - Mia St John, Jane Couch, Christy Martin, Mary Jo Sanders, Anne Sophie Mathis. She's got far more combat experience than any female in MMA even if it isn't directly in that sport, add in her nine fights in MMA and the lack of depth in the division and she was more than deserving of a shot. (She has done kickboxing too but only had eight amateur fights even though they talk about her like she was world champ).

I would say its harder to achieve in womens boxing than MMA because even though womens boxing is poor it still has a massively deeper talent pool than MMA. Also Holms era was stacked - MSJ, Martin, Couch, Mathis achievements piss all over the likes of Tate, Correia, Zingano etc.

chatty
November 17th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Are you implying that there are not female martial artists who could defeat a male martial artist? The hype was unreal but what does that have to do with anything?

Its highly unlikely any female martial artist would be able to beat the same level main counterpart of the same weight tbf. Males are just naturally stronger, a built for better endurance, bodies are tougher to break down etc.

You could get Rousey and some other top ones who could maybes beat some domestic level fighters but when they think they could be competitive in the same weight category of males its just for hype imo.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Well of course it's just hype, it's nothing to take serious and if you do you're an idiot.

And I respect what Holm did in boxing but this isn't boxing. It's MMA. Yes, Holm was dominant against Rousey, but where was that Holm in her debut with the UFC? It's 1 fight. That doesn't suddenly change the fact you put on a couple snoozefests prior and were only given the title shot because Ronda ran through the rest of the division and Dana didn't want to lose out on Tate-Rousey 3 for down the road. Holm wasn't given the title shot because of who she beat in boxing, MMA, she was the best option that didn't require a rematch, for boxing bred Dana White. Holm made the most of it, and it'll take a consistent showing like she did against Ronda to really say that she's the most dominant female MMA fighter. Especially when she hasn't fought anyone BUT Ronda Rousey. The rest of her resume is a joke.

Percussion
November 17th, 2015, 1:00 PM
Couple of quick hitters ...

- Ronda Rousey's been hyped to the moon. That hype didn't come from nowhere though. She's a rare talent and has put it down in the cage to warrant a majority of her praise. Ok.

- Rousey's gone through a soft division when compared to her male "superstar" contemporaries. The women she's beat as a group are not void of talent themselves though, they're statues ranking-wise just hasn't been forged through the depth of competition that we see on the men's side. Ok.

- Holly Holm is a fantastic talent in her discipline who's made the transition well, obviously. She should have been seen by more as stiffer competition than she was given credit for going into this fight, but her lackluster UFC debut and Rousey's mountainous hype got in the way of that. Ok.

Finally, Holm is quite good, as Rousey is quite good. These facts don't have to be mutually exclusive. A rematch of the two shouldn't be expected to be a carbon copy of the fight we just saw either. A ton of variables went into making that fight a monster win for Holm, and a ton of variables will go into making a rematch a completely compelling fight. And ultimately all of this could be very good for WMMA.

chatty
November 17th, 2015, 2:14 PM
Well of course it's just hype, it's nothing to take serious and if you do you're an idiot.

And I respect what Holm did in boxing but this isn't boxing. It's MMA. Yes, Holm was dominant against Rousey, but where was that Holm in her debut with the UFC? It's 1 fight. That doesn't suddenly change the fact you put on a couple snoozefests prior and were only given the title shot because Ronda ran through the rest of the division and Dana didn't want to lose out on Tate-Rousey 3 for down the road. Holm wasn't given the title shot because of who she beat in boxing, MMA, she was the best option that didn't require a rematch, for boxing bred Dana White. Holm made the most of it, and it'll take a consistent showing like she did against Ronda to really say that she's the most dominant female MMA fighter. Especially when she hasn't fought anyone BUT Ronda Rousey. The rest of her resume is a joke.

Ratings never mean anything though really as long as they can market it. I mean they were happy to put Toney in with Corture without him even having a fight, Brock had two and one was a loss. Its all about cash really.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 2:22 PM
Ratings never mean anything though really as long as they can market it. I mean they were happy to put Toney in with Corture without him even having a fight, Brock had two and one was a loss. Its all about cash really.

You could've put Rousey against a broomstick and it would draw a big rating because it's Ronda. Doesn't matter really who it's against, people are tuning in to see what is going to happen with Ronda. Will she finally lose? How quickly will she beat this opponent? Will this opponent take her beyond the first 20 seconds of the fight?

I assume you meant "rankings never mean anything". And I'll be honest, it seemed like the UFC didn't do anything out of the ordinary to hype this fight. Ronda on talk shows, they did the usual media rounds, nothing out of the ordinary to sell Holm as a legit threat. Like I said days ago, the only highlights they would even show of Holm were her Invicta fights because the UFC fights would make her an even bigger underdog and rightfully so.

Spedizzo
November 17th, 2015, 3:35 PM
If they are fighting a dwarf, a complete amateur, or me or you maybe. The male skeletal mass weighs much more than the female skeletal mass and is no comparison. But I am not getting into that debate.

Ronda's insane hype (glad you admit it) has a lot to do with it. She is a great fighter, and anyone who denies that is blatantly trolling. But she clearly proved after that performance that we should all take a step back before anyone ever calls her a "once in a lifetime athlete" again - that is all I am saying.

Was I on the Ronda hype band-wagon? Yeah, I haven't watched enough Women's MMA or seen enough of Ronda other than her destroying the level of competition she was given to know otherwise. But I saw that awful inexcusable display at UFC 193 and I know enough about MMA to know that when an MMA competitor is in hot water, that is not a fucking "once in a lifetime athlete." :stickpoke:

This wasn't a case of Anderson unable to defend the takedown against a national wrestling champion, Fedor getting caught in a submission against the world's greatest black belt or clipped by an H-bomb, or whatever, this was the proclaimed world's greatest women's mixed martial artist looking like a fish out of water in all aspects of the game for a round and a half, utilizing a shit gameplan, not adjusting her gameplan, awful corner, just overall meh.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/17/ronda-rousey-face-video-fight-holly-holm/

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 3:46 PM
You don't think the likes of Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, etc. that are considered once in a lifetime athlete never found themselves in hot water? Again, I do think sometimes the hype for certain fighters like McGregor and Rousey can be over the top but you're pretty stuck on that so I ask, is he wrong? She IS a once in a lifetime athlete, she does deserve that nod in the MMA world just like I would say that about Fedor, Jon Jones, GSP, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, Aldo, these are special fighters that for sure deserve the high praise because they've earned it. Ronda didn't get where she is because the UFC is fake and Dana White booked her to be the shit, she's done more for women in general in sports than most women have ever done. She's influential, she brings in great numbers, she is the biggest star the UFC has ever had and it took me a good year to admit to that but it's true.

Spedizzo
November 17th, 2015, 4:04 PM
That's my point... What makes a great is how do you react when you are in hot water?

She has proven that she throws gameplan and technique out the window (when she couldn't get and keep Holly down), gets emotional, and plods forward with telegraphed amateur style boxing against a legitimate boxer who has footwork and is picking her apart. When Holly got out of that armbar she took a deep breath and verbally told her opponent she was broken.

Everything else you mentioned has more to do with definition of "once in a lifetime athlete" I suppose. When you are 12-0 in the women's division of the UFC for beating the likes of Beth Correira, Cat Zigano, Miesha Tate, Sarah Kaufman, and Alexis Davis you are at the top of a division and a pioneer of the sport - but not the next coming of Muhammad Ali. And when you lay a goose egg like this, it is going to set you back and give ammunition to the trolls - and rightfully so.

I am not questioning her drawing power or how influential she is.

She is still at the very top of the division. But I still think the division is in its infancy. As someone said, she is a Royce Gracie type pioneer to the division.

I look forward to a rematch and still think she would and should be the favorite. But if she sticks with the same team and doesn't change training camps then I think Holly and Team Jackson is a smart bet to make some $$$.

Percussion
November 17th, 2015, 4:05 PM
This wasn't a case of Anderson unable to defend the takedown against a national wrestling champion, Fedor getting caught in a submission against the world's greatest black belt or clipped by an H-bomb, or whatever, this was the proclaimed world's greatest women's mixed martial artist looking like a fish out of water in all aspects of the game for a round and a half, utilizing a shit gameplan, not adjusting her gameplan, awful corner, just overall meh.

Actually it was just those things. It was Rousey getting boxed to shit by one of the best women boxers of all-time.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 4:12 PM
Actually it was just those things. It was Rousey getting boxed to shit by one of the best women boxers of all-time.

Exactly. The fucking obvious happened. Rousey got outboxed by one of the best out there. If Holm was going to do anything it wasn't going to be subbing her with an armbar, it was going to be outclassing her on the feet. There was a reason Holm was such an underdog, 2% of the population on Earth that doesn't train with her gave her a realistic chance. If she was that great, the odds would've been better, the fans would've been more supportive.

Spedizzo
November 17th, 2015, 4:24 PM
Did you guys watch the same fight? Holly controlled the distance, beat her in the clinch, out worked her in the clinch, avoided all takedowns, avoided her olympic judo takedown, took Ronda down, escaped Ronda's armbar, picked her apart with strikes, and won with a fucking vicious head kick. Pretty much, she beat the living shit out of her in all aspects of the fight!

I have never seen that shit go down in a boxing fight.

When Ronda realized she couldn't do fuck all she keep plodding forward and had no choice but to utilize her amateur boxing skills (because she couldn't get it to the mat because her clinch was ineffective, she couldn't get the takedown, and she couldn't control the distance!) and that is when she got lit up.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/08af25ef4252b138

Odds mean nothing and have been adjusted for their next fight. Women's MMA is in its infancy, like I said and there isn't enough history to base anything off of other than Ronda has destroyed all of her previous opponents so Vegas prepared for all of the money to come in on Ronda.

A lot of the smarter people made a nice penny off Holly. I am not one of those people sadly.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 4:31 PM
Did you guys watch the same fight? Holly controlled the distance, avoided all takedowns, avoided any of her judo takedowns, took Ronda down, escaped Ronda's armbar, escaped the clinch multiple times, and won with a fucking vicious head kick. Pretty much, she beat the living shit out of her in all aspects of the fight!

I have never seen that shit go down in a boxing fight.

When Ronda realized she couldn't do fuck all she keep plodding forward and had no choice but to utilize her amateur boxing skills (because she couldn't get it to the mat because her clinch was ineffective, she couldn't get the takedown, and she couldn't control the distance!) and that is when she got lit up.

She fought a perfect fight there's no question. Reminded me of Weidman v. Anderson. He had Anderson on the feet, on the ground, everywhere it went, he controlled it and then blam, Anderson started prancing around and got dropped for it.

But the majority of the feet took place on the feet, where Rousey is not very good at compared to Holm and that's what won Holm the fight. Saying "outboxed" was not the right term to use but it was true, she was outclassed on the feet and that's where the fight was truly won, on the feet. Holm kept it standing, that's what won her the fight, that's what should've won her the fight, that's the only way anyone thought she could win is if she kept it on the feet and did exactly what she did. You couldn't have executed a better gameplan.

That's the thing, nobody is taking anything away from Holm except those knocking Ronda and her accomplishments.

Bert
November 17th, 2015, 5:13 PM
Rousey only thought about using her ground game after she was knocked silly. I still like her though, I'm not a bandwagon fan like some people.

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 5:18 PM
Rousey only thought about using her ground game after she was knocked silly. I still like her though, I'm not a bandwagon fan like some people.

I have no doubt that it's possible she was believing her hype like no other. Someone mentioned Rocky 3, and while I don't think Ronda was facing cans like Rocky was, I do believe when he fought Clubber Lang he got a wake up call and he had to go back to the drawing board, hook up with Apollo, and blam, whipped Clubber. I don't think Rousey will come in and try to bang with Holm again, she's going to work hard on her WRESTLING, her striking defense.

OD50
November 17th, 2015, 5:22 PM
HH = Clubber Lang
RRR = Rocky

Does that make Miesha Tate = Apollo Creed??

Nash Diesel
November 17th, 2015, 5:25 PM
HH = Clubber Lang
RRR = Rocky

Does that make Miesha Tate = Apollo Creed??

lol I don't think Ronda's going to be asking Tate for advice on anything anytime soon.

I've heard Floyd say he'd work with Ronda.

What I need to know is, why did she stop working with Cesar Gracie and his camp? She seemed to fit in perfect with those guys and what a great camp of fighters. Diaz Bros, Jake Shields, Gilbert, those are 4 top guys right there she could've been working on various elements of her game.

chatty
November 17th, 2015, 6:25 PM

I dunno about that, I saw it the otherway around, she went to try and take down Holm almost immediately against the cage but Holm had her sussed, she then did get Holm down and again she slipped out of it, she tried a third time and again was slipped - it was after that she resorted to following Holm around trying to land haymakers.

Tyson
November 17th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Brock was 5-3 in MMA fights and 4-3 in the UFC.

Still bummed about it; that illness robbed him of his MMA career, really wish he would have had a healthy 5-8 year run...

Nash Diesel
November 19th, 2015, 6:04 PM
How long before we hear if anyone failed any drug tests?

What would it do to the MMA world if Holm tested positive for a banned substance? She just looks so fucking big compared to the other 135ers and Ronda was a decent sized bantamweight and it seemed like Holly was just twice the size of her.

Percussion
November 20th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Hollywood Holm ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijI_tsYG2c&feature=player_embedded

Seanny One Ball
November 21st, 2015, 4:41 AM
Spedizzo has been a catalyst for mma discussion this year. Good man.