PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new game...

Romford Pele
October 22nd, 2015, 9:11 AM
Ok guys, so I am getting to that point where I want to play something other than FIFA, and need to look at a PS3 game to buy...

Some important qualifications:-

- I have limited time so can't play likes of Final Fantasy that take over my life

- No American sports games aside from NBA or NHL as dont play them

- My favourite genres are sports, beat em up, strategy or retro games

So any suggestions?

Donald
October 22nd, 2015, 9:19 AM
Lego games are fun. Enjoyed Lego Jurassic World the most.

darkhorse
October 22nd, 2015, 9:26 AM
I don't know whether or not you have Ultra Street Fighter 4, but I recently got around to picking that up and I'm enjoying it.

Beefy
October 22nd, 2015, 9:33 AM
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Romford Pele
October 22nd, 2015, 10:05 AM
Great ideas so far guys...

Donald, I have played Indy and Lego Star Wars so have done that before, but cheers.

Ultra Streetfighter 4 is a good shout

Beefy
October 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
If you haven't played The Last of Us then you should play The Last of Us. Journey too. Those are the two best PS3 games IMO.

Romford Pele
October 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
I'm ignorant, but what genre are these games?

Beefy
October 22nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
The Last of Us is a third person post-apocalyptic action game made by the guys who made the Uncharted series of games. It is about 12-15 hours long. Graphically the best game of the generation I think it is fair to say. Masterful story which is being made into a film.

Journey is more of an experience than a game. It is a PSN download. About three hours long. It is incredible to anyone who has any kind of soul (GBF thought it was meh).

Reech
October 22nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Completely lazy of me, but here's a good list to start working as a base.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps3?sort=desc

Mr McGregor
October 22nd, 2015, 12:16 PM
The Last of Us is excellent and ridiculously immersive, which makes it difficult to put down. One of few games I've played where the experience of the story is the main replay value, not high scores or records or side missions or anything. There's an online multiplayer mode also if you want to play even further, but it's not a patch on the single player.

Journey pulls you in with it's complete lack of dialogue. I can see why some may not get it, it's like a painting that's meaning becomes clearer the more you explore it. The soundtrack is super-nice, it's like the game is tucking you into bed with a little stroke.

It's a shame the WWE games haven't been any better - they might've satisfied your beat-em-up/American sports type criteria. I avoided Street Fighter while they insisted on making additional mega/hyper/super/ultra/alpha versions of the same game. Not sure if they've finally settled on one yet.

I heard Fez was pretty good. It's a pixel-art (retro) puzzle-platformer type and currently on sale via PSN.

Romford Pele
October 22nd, 2015, 12:43 PM
What are people's thoughts on Tekken now? I used to love a bit of Tekken tag on ps2

Matthew
October 22nd, 2015, 2:55 PM
there is a tekken tag 2 now

it is basically the same

online play will humble you though.

lot of customization and shit. it is fun. i haven't bought it, still fumbling about with tekken 6

MMH
October 22nd, 2015, 3:58 PM
Catherine.

What a game. A weird adultish game with a strange storyline and levels that are strategy based puzzles. Can be got on PSN for fairly cheap I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HELNxOzcVpw

Gary J
October 22nd, 2015, 4:27 PM
Yeah I really enjoyed Catherine I got it when it was free on PS Plus. I think it's £4 at the moment.

wardy
October 22nd, 2015, 6:37 PM
Well seeing you 2 perverts are into a game called 'Catherine'.

darkhorse
October 22nd, 2015, 7:01 PM
Sounds fairly intriguing though. I checked it out and it got decent reviews.

Judas Iscariot
October 22nd, 2015, 7:05 PM
Play all the Dark Souls games. You won't need to geta new game for years.

LOCONUT
October 22nd, 2015, 7:49 PM
Bubble Spinner

RuneEdge
October 22nd, 2015, 7:55 PM
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Don't overlook this suggestion.

Beefy
October 22nd, 2015, 9:57 PM
Catherine is ok. I know a lot of people who love it.

Underlying issue with Catherine is that there very little game there. Not enough anyway to bring me back as soon as I found the first bit I couldn't work my way by,

Atty
October 23rd, 2015, 1:06 AM
Not really how far into Catherine I got. I actually found the non dream bits to pretty boring. Sure there are the "what did I just wake up with?!" moments, but the stuff at the bar/cellphone were so dull that I just lost interest in the middle. I liked the puzzle segments a lot and the overall vibe to the game, but the dull moments were too dull to keep me invested in a game.

Ozanne
October 23rd, 2015, 3:44 AM
When was Catherine free on the PSN, must have somehow missed that one?

The Last of Us is the best shout here, not too long a game if you don't have all the time in the world and one of the best stories in video games.

Beefy
October 23rd, 2015, 4:53 AM
It was free about 18 months ago.

Another suggestion I'd have would be the Batman games. Arkham Asylum then Arkham City, both a huge amount of fun with combat which is ridiculously simple, fun and satisfying.

Romford Pele
October 23rd, 2015, 11:15 AM
Get them both, or will one suffice?

Reech
October 23rd, 2015, 11:32 AM
Definitely get Asylum. Don't just get City.

Romford Pele
October 24th, 2015, 3:10 PM
Decided on asylum, last of us and PAC man. Cheers guys.

Romford Pele
October 27th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Been hooked on Arkham Asylum last 2 days. What a game, utterly addictive.

Reech
October 27th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I didn't enjoy City that much and Knight wasn't the same awesome as Asylum.

Beefy
October 27th, 2015, 12:23 PM
A lot of people prefer City. I definitely think that he should try that as it is so cheap now.

Asylum is amazing though. I'm only playing through Knight now but Asylum is still the best of the three IMO. Just one of the tightest, most well put-together games I've played.

City polishes some of the elements introduced in Asylum (combat, the gadgets) and gliding is immensely satisfying, but the open-world environment takes something away from the story.

Atty
October 27th, 2015, 1:18 PM
The combat and gliding were what really put City apart. Story wise, the edge goes to Asylum up until the last five minutes. City opened great and closed with a bang—that type of bookend leaves the audience very happy.

I'd point towards Knight now as the tops, but not everyone will feel that way. The new game plus run really cemented that for me. I really started to like driving the Batmobile and combat with it in the second run but it did feel off and forced in places on the first run. Then again, I'm the person that LOVES the Mako in Mass Effect 1 and wishes it were in the other games, so I may just be a silly bitch when it comes to vehicles in games.

The story really came together in the second run too. Maybe it was the pain killers and not being able to move after being Brock Lesnared when I did new game plus, but everything made sense and I found myself really appreciating things that I didn't even notice on the first run.

Really the Arkham series reminds me of Mass Effect a lot, where I feel the first game in each was the most impressive, established everything, built a whole universe and backstory, told the best story, was totally immersive but the controls and presentations were so refined in the follow up games that the originals go overlooked.