PDA

View Full Version : Professional Gaming

Bad Collin
October 15th, 2015, 1:48 PM
Does anyone here watch professional gaming?

The League of Legends World Championships is on BBC 3 now. I have no idea what is going on but it's amazing to me that gaming is on a mainstream TV channel.

Simon
October 15th, 2015, 2:03 PM
My mate's little brother gets paid to play in tournaments and stream his sessions. I'm not sure exactly how it works but it's paid for a £3k computer to play on. Mental.

Pablo Diablo
October 15th, 2015, 2:27 PM
I watch Dota 2 professional play. It's a bit strange to do I know, especially since these days I probably watch it more than I play it. I really can't explain it, but I suppose it's just recognizing people who have much more talent than you and appreciating it I suppose.

RuneEdge
October 15th, 2015, 3:15 PM
My mate used to play in Tekken and Street Fighter tournaments back in the day. Cash prizes were involved, but cant remember how much we're talking here.

There are a few documentaries about this sort of thing, that are worth checking out. Especially the ones about Dota 2, which I think is the biggest eSport game at the moment. Its so big in South Korea that some of the top Korean Dota players were once brought in to give a motivational speech to the South Korean footy team.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
October 15th, 2015, 4:10 PM
I like to watch people play Hearthstone (card game) and/or CS:GO (Counterstrike...) in the background while I'm in the "office" (....playing computer games....).

Saying that I've watched a couple of DoTA2 games... and whilst it's fun, I suck at it so I hate people for being so much better than me.

If people are "interested" (and I use the term loosely) Twitch.tv is the "big thing" at the moment. Can see a variety of streams of solo players or teams. Even watch some guy buy/trade/whatever FIFA players - whatever tickles your pickle.

Mikey_Jones
October 15th, 2015, 6:13 PM
Big fan of e-sports, both playing and watching. Won a bit of money playing FIFA over the last few years, and love watching either Hearthstone or Counter Strike on Twitch

Hero!
October 15th, 2015, 6:18 PM
League of Legends ran MSG Summerslam weekend. Just think about that for a second: WWE had to book Barclays and a fucking LoL tournament ran MSG. Mind blowing.