PDA

View Full Version : The Official Ultimate Fighter Season 22 USA v. Europe Thread

Nash Diesel
September 23rd, 2015, 10:20 AM
http://independent.bbvms.com/mediaclip/2514960/pthumbnail/608/340.jpg

Coaches McGregor and Faber have been pretty fucking hilarious so far. Kind of sad we're 2 episodes in already and there isn't a thread but I feel like this show is probably going to be coming to an end in the next few years. Once they hit 30 they might call it a day.

Anyway...So far we've had some amazing fights to get into the house and last week Team USA's Ryan Hall and his Cody McKenzie one trick pony move paid off against Team Europe's Frantz Slioa. Hall is a master of leglocks.

The catch this season is that due to how awesome the fights were to get into the house, DW decided to bring back 1 fighter from Europe and the US who didn't make. This would mean 9 fights. Which means that someone isn't going to the quarter finals. Dana said he will literally decide who had the top PERFORMANCES and those 4 will move on leaving a 5th man shit out of luck. So McGregor brought back his buddy who IMO was robbed of a 3rd round, Russian born Irish bred Artem Lobov, and Faber brought back Johnny Nunez, who ironically was submitted in 30 seconds by Ryan Hall.

I think the banter between McG and Faber, which so far is pretty "friendly", has been fun but what I love is watching Faber train guys and the way McG trains was very cool. That's really the highlight for me, seeing the fighters methods of training and what they bring to the table both physically and mentally. McGregor gave a great pre-written speech off his iphone talking about how he's not there to show you how to jab or be best friends or any of that shit, it was cool, suggest everyone to check it out.

Dream-Evil
September 28th, 2015, 2:42 AM
"DON'T BE GOIN TO YOUR FUCKIN' BACK LIKE A BITCH, FOR FUCKS SAKE."

Conor flipping his shit during the second fight was amazing. Understandable too, the guy wasn't listening.

Nash Diesel
September 28th, 2015, 9:45 AM
I'm surprised more coaches don't flip the fuck out like that. You hear it sometimes but never to that level. Then Urijah walks by and just kind of twists the knife by saying "Maybe you should start hitting up those morning practices, it's not about you it's about these guys". There was another coach on TUF that was like this, I think it might've been one of the seasons Bisping coached where he wasn't there that often, can't remember though.

Mik
October 2nd, 2015, 4:29 AM
I cant see how McGregor could possibly be there as much as Faber considering his schedule over the past year. He hadnt even been home for something crazy like 5 months.

Nash Diesel
October 2nd, 2015, 10:25 AM
I cant see how McGregor could possibly be there as much as Faber considering his schedule over the past year. He hadnt even been home for something crazy like 5 months.

Yeah he made a good point on the newest episode about how he's on his own journey but I will say this, he is a very different type of coach than most of what we've seen on the show and I mean that in a good way. The way he slows everything down, shows them little things here and there, how they train without pads and how he had the Polish Zombie go 3 full 5 minute rounds at 50% with Saul just to get a feel of what it's going to be like at the fight.

And I love watching Faber, the guy is a master and really seems to genuinely enjoy what he's doing as a coach not just on the show but at Alpha Male as well.

Plus, who doesn't love these 2 going at each other? It's been pretty cordial, nothing really intense but there was a preview of someone in a blue jersey shoving Conor, I think one of the asst. coaches. Faber's too chill imo for all that bullshit.

Nash Diesel
October 8th, 2015, 11:55 AM
All tied up now. Saul with a Jon Fitch-esque win over Billy Q. By the way, these guys are roughly the same age and Saul is right, he looks like he's 40. And he's gigantic for a 155er. Looks like he was a 250lbs. pro wrestler in another life lol. So yeah, 2-2. Nothing to really take from this new episode. The teams both went out to dinner together, no bullshit. But again, the banter between the coaches is great. Nothing insulting that could lead to blows...yet...just comical.

Dream-Evil
October 8th, 2015, 5:17 PM
Yeah, little digs here and there about how Faber is gonna buy Conor some sandals make me chuckle. None of this over the top, breaking doors in half shit. Just little fun jabs.

Nash Diesel
October 8th, 2015, 5:33 PM
You know, sometimes I don't mind when things get heated, I just don't like when it comes across as forced. Faber and McGregor could easily play it up, shove each other every 5 seconds, get in each others face. Maybe if they were actually going to fight that's how it would be but honestly this show is giving Conor the platform to show people that he's not just a loud guy. I'll be honest, this show is what made me somewhat of a fan of Tito Ortiz. Just the way he was with the team and how he conducted himself, very professional, almost the opposite of what you'd expect considering how he is building up fights. Conor, same way. Night and day. For now.

son_of_foley
October 9th, 2015, 6:38 PM
Loving this. Was worried you guys were massively ahead but the Saul fight was on here last night. Mcgregor is trying to build dillishaw vs Faber in a big way

Nash Diesel
October 12th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Is it me or do the European fighters look at least 1 weight class bigger than the Americans?

Nash Diesel
October 22nd, 2015, 9:27 AM
I think last night's episode was pretty good. You had McG doing his thing, riding Faber. Notice everytime Conor makes a comment he pans to his teammates to see if anyone is reacting, most of the time they were just kind of sitting there like wtf is the point of this lol. The whole TJ-Ludwig-Alpha Male situation.... I don't know if it was really Conor's place to ramble about it like a Sherdogger and look what happened because of it. People got hot.

The fight was very good. Julian kind of reminds me of Luke Rockhold on the feet the way he was bouncing around, throwing everything he had but less polished. Baghdad being an elite level striker, I was a little surprised he didn't throw MORE. Should've gone to a 3rd I was kind of leaning toward Baghdad but I was fine with the decision.

The end was the shit though, Faber showing up late with those USA sandals and Conor was almost shocked how expensive they were. $29 is expensive for some shit ass sandals.

Nash Diesel
December 10th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Tomorrow night folks, we have the TUF 22 finale. Headlined by Edgar v. Mendes-a great fucking fight to make, and a co-main of Edson Barboza v. Tony Ferguson-another great fight! The finale is Ryan Hall v. Artem Lobov. Saul Rogers was supposed to fight Artem but apparently he lied on his Visa and now can't get back into the US. Hall, who's been training in Ireland with Artem and McGregor, got the nod.

What I find funny is this finale to my knowledge is the first time we're seeing 2 guys who were eliminated going after the contract. Artem lost a decision to get into the house but was brought back after Dana did the switcharoo and added a 9th fight to the first round, and Hall lost a majority decision to Saul.

I have to say, I"m fucking shocked that Artem made it this far. His stance just looks like someone should've been able to whip his ass by now, it was almost BJ Penn bad lol. But he finds his spots and has great power. It just seemed the Americans were too tentative, nobody was really going for it, they were fighting not to lose, the Europeans were fighting to win. Plus the Europeans all looked about 2 weight classes bigger than the Americans lol.

OD50
December 11th, 2015, 6:06 AM
Edgar/Mendes is interesting, hope it doesn't end up being kind of a stale mate like Edgar/Faber.

Chris Scott
December 13th, 2015, 6:24 PM
Shame about Saul Rogers and his visa problem, I honestly think he would have won this. How did Hall end up getting picked?

Nash Diesel
December 14th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Shame about Saul Rogers and his visa problem, I honestly think he would have won this. How did Hall end up getting picked?

I think he lost to Saul in the quarter finals. Shocked the kid who Saul beat in the semis didn't get the nod to be honest.

Chris Scott
December 14th, 2015, 12:56 PM
That's what I was thinking.

Nash Diesel
December 14th, 2015, 2:46 PM
The other thing I noticed was how they didn't have really anyone from TUF on the card. Usually the prelims are littered with them but not this year. Only 1 fight on the prelims consisted of fighters from this season. Not even that Than Le dude who was incredible to watch.