PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Maker

Fro
August 14th, 2015, 9:40 PM
This game is gonna be bonkers and deserves its own thread. The online sharing, world making, the way you can combine items to make new hybrids and make your own sound effects to put in the levels... they really went deep on what you can customize. Releases September 11, 2015 on Wii U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9W_y8IlNro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egSHeEkdXGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToyoBTiwZ6c

Bill Casey
August 15th, 2015, 4:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRcEcffvVnU

Rancid_Planet
August 15th, 2015, 6:46 PM
Whoever created that second one is fucking evil.

Fro
August 16th, 2015, 12:22 PM
There will definitely be some evil, evil levels. It's good that they make you beat your own levels before you're allowed to share them, so it can't be truly unbeatable, but the level maker obviously has the advantage of knowing all the secrets and pitfalls. Being able to sort by difficulty and rating when you're playing online will be key.

VHS
August 16th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I would so make a level that would be only Bullet Bills over lava. :yes:

The Doc
August 16th, 2015, 5:38 PM
Damn Nintendo is really trying to sell me a WiiU with a goddamn vengeance.

Also I see these levels and all it reminds me of is the fact that I should never, ever underestimate the ability of people to be sadistic fuckers given half a chance. They should really throw together a user friendly RPG/Zelda maker for the WiiU. I'm sure that putting together a 2D Zelda game has got to be well within the abilities of the system. The only downside being it would probably have to stick to the weapons already in the franchise but over the. . .god how many are there?! Zelda games that's probably enough for most people to pick out a greatest hits list and be perfectly content. I know that or a Metroid Maker would get me on board in a heartbeat. The only issue with Metroid being I think most people are far too stupid to string together a Metroidvania/Castletroid game that wasn't painfully bad.

Version 6
August 16th, 2015, 7:12 PM

Buy one.

If you've always enjoyed Nintendo consoles, you won't be disappointed.

Rancid_Planet
August 16th, 2015, 7:35 PM

Also I see these levels and all it reminds me of is the fact that I should never, ever underestimate the ability of people to be sadistic fuckers given half a chance. They should really throw together a user friendly RPG/Zelda maker for the WiiU. I'm sure that putting together a 2D Zelda game has got to be well within the abilities of the system. The only downside being it would probably have to stick to the weapons already in the franchise but over the. . .god how many are there?! Zelda games that's probably enough for most people to pick out a greatest hits list and be perfectly content. I know that or a Metroid Maker would get me on board in a heartbeat. The only issue with Metroid being I think most people are far too stupid to string together a Metroidvania/Castletroid game that wasn't painfully bad.

I would LOVE to play various other fan's versions of Zelda games.

The Doc
August 16th, 2015, 8:14 PM
You and me both brother. And as long as we're talking old school 2d Zelda it can't really be any more complicated, from a technical stand point, than a Mario level. Now sure you have to plan out your entire dungeon and game to make sure you can get whatever weapon you need to unlock this area or that but I think I could handle that. Hell I used to do that with pen and paper for DnD.

Though I guess I should maybe give Mario Maker a few months to see what ignorance people plop out. It never ceases to amaze me how much people can abuse any system you let them have control over.

Maybe I'm just checking all the wrong sites but is there any official word on what items/suits are in the game. I haven't watched many of the videos but it seems like the only thing I've seen are to variants on mushrooms and I know they've got to have fireballs kicking around at the very least and I'm hoping they have at least one of the flying options and hammer bros for the goddamn win.

Rancid_Planet
August 16th, 2015, 9:28 PM
You and me both brother. And as long as we're talking old school 2d Zelda it can't really be any more complicated, from a technical stand point, than a Mario level. Now sure you have to plan out your entire dungeon and game to make sure you can get whatever weapon you need to unlock this area or that but I think I could handle that. Hell I used to do that with pen and paper for DnD.

Though I guess I should maybe give Mario Maker a few months to see what ignorance people plop out. It never ceases to amaze me how much people can abuse any system you let them have control over.

Maybe I'm just checking all the wrong sites but is there any official word on what items/suits are in the game. I haven't watched many of the videos but it seems like the only thing I've seen are to variants on mushrooms and I know they've got to have fireballs kicking around at the very least and I'm hoping they have at least one of the flying options and hammer bros for the goddamn win.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Maker

Check the game play section and that's a pretty official rundown of what we know will be in the game.

The Doc
August 17th, 2015, 1:40 AM
Thanks. Damnit I wanted my hammer bros suit. Also the concept of a flying Chain Chomp utterly terrifies me. That's the kind of shit that can never be allowed to get loose in the wild.

Morrison
August 17th, 2015, 2:40 AM

who gives a shit? it wont effect you.

The Doc
August 17th, 2015, 3:17 AM
I more meant I'm endlessly impressed. Hell on my Wii I used to just sit around and do the view Mii's thing just to see how the fuck people managed to make such crazy shit. It wouldn't shock me in the least to find out that given six months of people monkeying with the system if you get some really creative shit.

Bill Casey
August 18th, 2015, 5:47 PM
I more meant I'm endlessly impressed. Hell on my Wii I used to just sit around and do the view Mii's thing just to see how the fuck people managed to make such crazy shit. It wouldn't shock me in the least to find out that given six months of people monkeying with the system if you get some really creative shit.

Penis World confirmed...

The Doc
August 21st, 2015, 7:47 PM
Didn't someone actually write a math equation that shows exactly how long it takes on average for people given the ability to create to start making dicks? What's worse is you just can't stop people because they'll set up rediculously elaborate dicks. I kinda like the idea of setting up some Mario Mazes like they had in SMB3.

Atty
August 21st, 2015, 8:22 PM
Why are dick worlds a bad thing?

I think I'll make a huge fallopian tube level where you make you're way through the female reproductive system and then get shot out the bottom at the end.

Rancid_Planet
August 21st, 2015, 9:33 PM
Why are dick worlds a bad thing?

I think I'll make a huge fallopian tube level where you make you're way through the female reproductive system and then get shot out the bottom at the end.

Sounds like an unreleased level from an Earthworm Jim game.

Fro
August 21st, 2015, 9:38 PM
I'm actually surprised and impressed by the feature they've included that lets your record your own sound effects and put them in levels, since that could lead to some vulgar stuff getting in which Nintendo always tries to curtail. But I love it because it could lend itself to some awesome themed levels like where Rick Flair goes WOOOO every time you hit a block

Atty
August 21st, 2015, 9:39 PM
I'm going more for a platforming version of this, ending with child birth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTmmXC4fd-Y

LOCONUT
August 21st, 2015, 11:31 PM
So wont this kind of end the future of the Mario franchise if everyone can share their dream levels?

Fro
August 21st, 2015, 11:50 PM
I do think it'll end the New Super Mario Bros series for a while, which is a good thing since those games are fun but they've done a lot of them lately and we don't really need anymore. 3D Mario games will carry on though. I so hope an M64 style open world Mario game will be next.

The Doc
August 22nd, 2015, 12:26 AM
So wont this kind of end the future of the Mario franchise if everyone can share their dream levels?

Probably not for a couple of reasons. First unless they start releasing new suits and the such as DLC that's gonna be a bit of an issue. It seems like there are a lot of things missing that are both from former games that I would have liked to have seen come back like the Chargin' Chucks of Mario World and the fire and boomerang Bros of Mario 3, Renzor doesn't seem to be here, no Koopa Kids. There is only so much you can do unless they give us more than is there.

More importantly it's gonna be like fan fiction already is. You're gonna have to dig through miles and miles of garbage to get to the good stuff. The good stuff will be good mind you but not all over the place. And also unless they give you some story options (beyond recording sound effects) you might be a bit blocked there. I know nobody really plays Mario for the story but that doesn't mean it's not kinda entertaining to know why you're doing this that or the other.

Like I siad earlier though I hope that Mario Maker goes huge and it encourages Nintendo to put out the tools for other franchises. Zelda, Metroid and Kirby all sound like franchises that would be no more difficult to piece together than this.

Atty
August 22nd, 2015, 12:55 AM
Metroid would be a nightmare to do a game like this for. The whole structure of the games say no to this.

The Doc
August 22nd, 2015, 1:37 AM
I don't see why. I agree that creators would have some difficulty with it how much is hard to tell I saw some damned impressive things on Little Big Planet that clearly weren't part of the plan but not everybody operates on that level obviously. I don't see what would be particularly difficult however from the "here are tools, have at it hoss" side of things.

And I certainly don't see it for Zelda or Kirby. And Kirby's Great Cave Offensive was pretty much Metroid Light (or uber hard depending on your opinion. I remember hating trying to get certain weapons to certain areas.)

Rancid_Planet
August 22nd, 2015, 1:58 AM
https://youtu.be/e9x4o1gAzTc

LOCONUT
August 22nd, 2015, 2:49 AM
I've played most of the Super Mario games and I dont feel a connection to the story whatsoever. I know the story so if amazing new gameplay is introduced in a way where acquiring it is reasonably easy than I would be majorly satisfied. I assume its only a matter of time until. The best content is sorted and identified online. The 2D piece has limitations but this should keep me busy for years.

Rancid_Planet
August 22nd, 2015, 2:51 AM
Much like heroine, we will probably lose quite a few people to this.

Atty
August 22nd, 2015, 11:10 AM
I don't see why. I agree that creators would have some difficulty with it how much is hard to tell I saw some damned impressive things on Little Big Planet that clearly weren't part of the plan but not everybody operates on that level obviously. I don't see what would be particularly difficult however from the "here are tools, have at it hoss" side of things.

The entire structure of Metroid is level design where you get items later to unlock passages in earlier places that you couldn't reach before. Perhaps you've heard the term "Metroidvania"

RuneEdge
August 22nd, 2015, 12:12 PM
The thing with Metroidvania games is that you dont have levels, stages or courses. You're working with an entire map. You can't make a part of the game, its all or nothing.

A stage creator for something like Megaman could potentially work but even then you're breaking away from its own structure where you're supposed to tackle bosses in a certain order to get the right weapon upgrades to progress through the game easier.

Mario Maker works well because of how you dont necessarily have to carry something from one stage to the next. You just face each stage as a new challenge. The overall structure and the map of all the levels are not very important.

Atty
September 12th, 2015, 2:05 AM
Having played with this for an hour or two, I've concluded that I'm a self loathing asshole.

Fro
September 12th, 2015, 2:18 AM
I picked it up today too. It's great. And apparently they released a patch so the new items are no longer unlocked in 24 hour intervals but every 15 minutes you play so that's much better. Can't wait to unlock everything and make some monster levels.

Atty
September 12th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Same.

The first level I designed kept changing until it became psychotic. It's basically a bunching of single blocks with springboards you have to jump between and then giant flying turtles springboarding off them towards you. It made me ask myself "do I hate me?" when I tried it out. And I stretched it to the maximum length, naturally.

Fro
September 12th, 2015, 1:21 PM
You should upload it so I can play it :yes:

Apparently there is a quick way to get everything unlocked. I think it's this... play around in editor until it says your next shipment is coming, then to get it to come immediately, basically make a big level and spam it with blocks just fill it up until it says you can't add any more. That triggers the shipment to arrive. Make sure when you get new items you use them so they no longer have the "new" icon next to them. Rinse and repeat.

blackening
September 12th, 2015, 1:54 PM
Got this yesterday too. Only spent a couple minutes and haven't gotten the next tier of stuff unlocked yet. Looking forward to getting some extended time and building something cool. Played a couple of the uploaded levels. Mostly the "don't press anything" type levels. Some creative stuff there.

I wish you could make slopes though. :(

The Doc
September 12th, 2015, 2:35 PM
The entire structure of Metroid is level design where you get items later to unlock passages in earlier places that you couldn't reach before. Perhaps you've heard the term "Metroidvania"

Yes, I'm familliar with the Metroidvania/Castletroid term. The fact however is that the GAME mechanically is no more complex and is arguably less complicated than Mario. The primary issue being as stated by Rune that you do have to think int larger scales than you normally would for Mario. But five minutes of scanning the insane shit people have already built for Mario Maker tells me that people have the time and expertise to piece together Metroid. Especially when you remember that the "all or nothing" part essentially breaks down to replacing Keys with guns.

Any fucker who can design a level of Mario that essentially plays it's goddamn self via combinations of springs, music boxes, power ups placed so you can pass through enemies and every moving platform being timed perfectly so it moves you to the right place at the right time could design a passable Metroidvania game in their goddam sleep.

Even if THAT were impossible Kirby and 2d Zeldas should be a walk in the park even if it was just a dungeon creator with no overworld to speak of.

Also, DEAR GOD. Two hours of playing this at a friends house and. . .WHY ARE PEOPLE SO MEAN?! I saw an underwater level that gave me flashbacks of the original ninja turtles game. Right down to watching the clock and thinking, well fuck it it's time to get hit because I'll be invincible for a few seconds and then I'll be out of the level instead of dead and restarting. So many sadistic people out there!!!!! Why am I piloting a a Koopa Klown Kar through flame wheels?!

RuneEdge
September 12th, 2015, 3:56 PM
Yes, I'm familliar with the Metroidvania/Castletroid term. The fact however is that the GAME mechanically is no more complex and is arguably less complicated than Mario. The primary issue being as stated by Rune that you do have to think int larger scales than you normally would for Mario. But five minutes of scanning the insane shit people have already built for Mario Maker tells me that people have the time and expertise to piece together Metroid. Especially when you remember that the "all or nothing" part essentially breaks down to replacing Keys with guns.

Any fucker who can design a level of Mario that essentially plays it's goddamn self via combinations of springs, music boxes, power ups placed so you can pass through enemies and every moving platform being timed perfectly so it moves you to the right place at the right time could design a passable Metroidvania game in their goddam sleep.

I think you're still underestimating the work required for a true MetroidVania game here. Either that or you're missing the idea behind Mario Maker. There's a reason why MetroidVania has become a subgenre rather than being thrown alongside other side scrolling shooter/adventure games. It's not something you can casually decide to do and then create on a Wii U with just your controller. Sure there are people out there who can make a Metroid game, but they're few and far between. And these are the kind of people who'd take their creation seriously enough to actually build on their computer with dedicated software and programming know how.
Mario Maker works because its small, quick and simple. You can make a Mario stage in 5 minutes. You couldnt even mentally plan out the structure of a Metroid game in 5 minutes.

Atty
September 12th, 2015, 4:18 PM
You should upload it so I can play it :yes:

Apparently there is a quick way to get everything unlocked. I think it's this... play around in editor until it says your next shipment is coming, then to get it to come immediately, basically make a big level and spam it with blocks just fill it up until it says you can't add any more. That triggers the shipment to arrive. Make sure when you get new items you use them so they no longer have the "new" icon next to them. Rinse and repeat.

I will upload it when I think it's perfect. I've played with it a lot now and always being able to tweak it is just so much fun. It's loads better today after I toyed with it. Also have downloaded some levels to edit them. If the creator is Japanese, they tend to be insane but you can play around with them and make them much more fun/beatable. One was a castle and it ended with flying giant Bowser with flying giant Bowser Jr. on his shoulders. Redesigned it so it wasn't quite as brutal to get to and so there was an extended area (not just lava and that bridge) to battle them. And a hidden flower, of course.

Also love thinking of alternate routes. Like, one level I'm making was just you going higher and higher without a floor below last night. Now it has platforms below that you can fall to and finish the level that way. Not just death if you miss that one springboard.

This really is great and can't wait to have everything unlocked. I want to have Bowser Jr in his flying copter thing to spit out of a pipe. I need more unlocked to make this happen. :hyper:

The Doc
September 12th, 2015, 7:24 PM
I think you're still underestimating the work required for a true MetroidVania game here. Either that or you're missing the idea behind Mario Maker. There's a reason why MetroidVania has become a subgenre rather than being thrown alongside other side scrolling shooter/adventure games. It's not something you can casually decide to do and then create on a Wii U with just your controller. Sure there are people out there who can make a Metroid game, but they're few and far between. And these are the kind of people who'd take their creation seriously enough to actually build on their computer with dedicated software and programming know how.
Mario Maker works because its small, quick and simple. You can make a Mario stage in 5 minutes. You couldnt even mentally plan out the structure of a Metroid game in 5 minutes.

Ignoring that they are a subgenre because there are enough of them and they are definable enough to make it so that not a good reason not to allow it. I agree it would take hours or days to make a decent Metroid game, I disagree with you that people with that kind of dedication wouldn't love to have the tools at their fingertips rather than trying to learn how code and all the other bits necessary. Again have you seen the rediculous shit that people have already put together on Mario Maker?!

Which also doesn't take away from other things that are similarly easy to Mario. I can't see a Kirby game being overly difficult or as someone else mentioned Megaman or Sonic (though obviously that's Capcom and Sega respectively)

Fro
September 12th, 2015, 7:24 PM
I just unlocked everything. The process I said above works and you can unlock everything basically right away. I don't think it was a bad idea to have things unlock gradually so as to force you to try everything out but instead of time released they should have made it by accomplishments. Like: build and complete a level with these 10 elements to unlock the next 10 elements. That would have been better, but their patch made it super quick to unlock everything anyway.

In the course world, you can see the "success out of attempted" stats for a level but the #1 thing I would add would be the ability to sort by success %. That way you can sort through by easy, medium or hard. The 10-live challenges are really cool though- those are the pre-loaded levels and they are clever, short levels. I haven't tried 100-live challenge yet.

Being able to follow makers is cool, already found some good people who make great levels that aren't crazy difficult. It doesn't seem like there's an option to search by friends but I guess once we start sharing we will just all follow each other.

Fro
September 12th, 2015, 7:51 PM
I just uploaded a course:

065A-0000-0029-99AC

Morrison
September 12th, 2015, 8:20 PM
Ignoring that they are a subgenre because there are enough of them and they are definable enough to make it so that not a good reason not to allow it. I agree it would take hours or days to make a decent Metroid game, I disagree with you that people with that kind of dedication wouldn't love to have the tools at their fingertips rather than trying to learn how code and all the other bits necessary. Again have you seen the rediculous shit that people have already put together on Mario Maker?!

Which also doesn't take away from other things that are similarly easy to Mario. I can't see a Kirby game being overly difficult or as someone else mentioned Megaman or Sonic (though obviously that's Capcom and Sega respectively)
no. you are severely underestimating the game design and overestimating the dedication of a general audience.

Atty
September 13th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I just uploaded a course:

6143-0000-0027-7FD5

it is very basic, I really just wanted to test out how to upload

also this one:

065A-0000-0029-99AC

Mario 3 one is still basic but it does something that far too few courses I've tried have done and that's have a platform that you can't yet see but trust will be there. Mario's at it's best when you can run and jump throughout. That's what I keep tweaking and tinkering with in my levels. Too many makers just spam enemies and Bowsers and then call it hard. Sure, there's a place for enemies, but it's not to make levels unfair. That's one thing I'm trying to fix on a castle I've done: I'm happy with the level but want this one part where you make a leap of faith and keep bouncing off enemies work correctly.

I like the outline of your stage very much.

The Mario World stage is cheap at the end, but it's clear you're just testing out all the elements/characters and seeing how they work.

One thing in general that people (not you) need to work on is understanding that there are no checkpoints and designing levels accordingly.

Rancid_Planet
October 1st, 2015, 1:57 AM
Dude used a Metroid level layout with Mario Maker.

https://youtu.be/7R2LYAJAfxQ

He details how it all is supposed to work and what he did here:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/41232/designing-a-metroid-game-within-super-mario-maker

Fro
October 1st, 2015, 9:17 PM
I made a new one, and it's epic. Try it out:

E607-0000-0082-8DB4

Multiple paths and lots of hidden power ups. Also you guys should post yours! And let's follow each other!

Bill Casey
October 14th, 2015, 9:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8b_5QhXmH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLnVUO5j9w

Fro
October 15th, 2015, 5:12 PM
My new masterpiece:

"Threat Level Midnight"
F913-0000-00A6-9079

It's a SMB3 Ghost House. Long, but lots of power ups. Not too difficult.

Randolph
March 23rd, 2016, 12:12 AM
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/chrisrandolph?type=posted

I have been playing this thing for five months and still am not sick of it. I wish they would make a Sonic maker!

Bill Casey
March 23rd, 2016, 12:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_7Qj8KRgI

Fro
April 3rd, 2016, 3:11 PM

I have been playing this thing for five months and still am not sick of it. I wish they would make a Sonic maker!

Nice, I'm checking yours out now. You should check out mine too:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Wisdom_God?type=posted

Randolph
April 3rd, 2016, 4:31 PM
Nice, I'm checking yours out now. You should check out mine too:

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Wisdom_God?type=posted

I'm away from the Internet for the next week, but I see your profile and will play your levels when I get home. Thanks for the stars!

Nash Diesel
April 4th, 2016, 10:18 AM

It is truly incredible. I got it for my birthday in December and play it all the time. 34 years old and my 8 year old self is living the dream lol.

Randolph
April 4th, 2016, 1:11 PM
It is truly incredible. I got it for my birthday in December and play it all the time. 34 years old and my 8 year old self is living the dream lol.

It is a game that hardly gets old, because there are constantly new levels being made. I enjoy seeing some tough levels get tackled on Youtube and then taking them on myself. Beating a level with a 0.20% completion rate gives me better joy than most shooting games nowadays.

Bill Casey
April 7th, 2016, 7:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLO8u-aOOCI

Fro
April 7th, 2016, 8:01 PM
that awesome

LOCONUT
April 7th, 2016, 9:57 PM
Cool level but that guy bugs.

Bill Casey
April 12th, 2016, 5:32 PM
Bob Ross creates his own little Super Mario World...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlezT6arSZM

Which leads to endless frustration from players...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opr8T8-x9Jc

And someone beating it...

Bill Casey
May 24th, 2016, 1:32 AM
One of the best bosses in a Mario game ever...
Mecha Bowzilla...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gERS4Uxmd7k

Rancid_Planet
May 24th, 2016, 2:44 AM
The WiiU price drop needs to happen.

Nash Diesel
May 24th, 2016, 3:08 PM
I need to really sit down and figure out how to do a bunch of the wild shit I see people pulling off. Are they buying add-ons or some shit, idk, but it's rad and I want to know how.

Fro
May 24th, 2016, 3:38 PM
I need to really sit down and figure out how to do a bunch of the wild shit I see people pulling off. Are they buying add-ons or some shit, idk, but it's rad and I want to know how.

There aren't any add ons to my knowledge (except one: the Big Mushroom which you need a particular amiibo to unlock). You gotta just keep shaking items to see if they have an alternate version. And then it's just adding things on top of each other, combining things, etc.

I was like 2 months into the game before I realized the sound items also have alternate versions lol. I was wondering how people got that dance music to play.

Nash Diesel
May 24th, 2016, 3:53 PM
There aren't any add ons to my knowledge (except one: the Big Mushroom which you need a particular amiibo to unlock). You gotta just keep shaking items to see if they have an alternate version. And then it's just adding things on top of each other, combining things, etc.

I was like 2 months into the game before I realized the sound items also have alternate versions lol. I was wondering how people got that dance music to play.

Ah fuck I totally spaced one of my kids telling me about shaking various items to see if they have an alternate version. No wonder I was having zero luck finding any additional add on's lol. Thanks Fro!

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2016, 10:24 AM
Mario Maker is coming to 3DS. :hyper: