PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Bad Collin
June 16th, 2015, 6:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

This needs its own thread.

What are we expecting from this? They better not fuck with the story or the music.

No release date yet.

http://i.imgur.com/gtlyKIh.png

Simon
June 16th, 2015, 6:44 AM
Seems like they are sticking with the music from the original based on the trailer. I even felt like I recognised the sound of the train, which is a nice touch.

Please don't fuck it up. :happysad:

Bad Collin
June 16th, 2015, 8:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CbjFbNX.jpg

JP
June 16th, 2015, 8:19 AM
That trailer is magnificent.

I'd like to see them use the orchestral score that's been released on Distant Worlds. Anything but the God awful PC remastered music.

G-Fresh
June 16th, 2015, 10:22 AM
I hope they do fuck with the storyline. I want what the og Japanese version was suppose to be.

The_Mike
June 16th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I'm tempted to moan about how we're getting yet another remake and yet another company seems out of ideas and is trading on the past when it bothered to actually make decent products, but to be honest all I've wanted from Square is another Final Fantasy like VII for about 15 years. If that means they just have to remake FFVII, fine. Maybe the team that works on it will realise how to make a good Final Fantasy game.

G-Fresh
June 16th, 2015, 10:45 AM
FF has pretty much sucked since 9 (except X-2). I welcome the remake and hope they do more.

The_Mike
June 16th, 2015, 11:00 AM
X-2 was a great game. A shame it gets so much hate for the somewhat goofy Charlie's Angels vibe but it was fun and had a much more enjoyable combat system than X itself.

Bad Collin
June 16th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Um, 10 was great and X-2 sucked guys

The_Mike
June 16th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Bzzz. Incorrect.

Tainted Eclipse
June 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM
10 was great and i never got into X-2 enough to play past the first couple hours. im fairly excited about this but know it must end up sucking. no way they can recreate the charm of ff7's world with their current art direction. i'll still consider getting a ps4 to play it, i love ff7 too much not be pretty interested.

JP
June 16th, 2015, 11:44 AM
X was very good and X-2 a great reinvention of existing systems.

But XII, XII is the masterpiece. Me and Stan will fight anyone who disagrees. :squint:

G-Fresh
June 16th, 2015, 11:49 AM
The battle system for 12 is wack.

JP
June 16th, 2015, 11:57 AM
The battle system for 12 is wack.

I'm going to presume wack means amazeballs. :yes:

I understand why a lot of people feel that way though, it was such a departure from what came before. As it is, I got the chance to like how mmorpgs handle and that is essentially how the battle system in XII is built.

Only thing I didn't like, running to regain MP. Meant you never really got the chance to sit back and appreciate how ridiculously incredible it looked.

Matthew
June 16th, 2015, 12:04 PM
never played ff7 this game better be good or i will never trust any of you shitheads

The Doc
June 16th, 2015, 12:26 PM
It's past time Final Fantasy 7 got it's long awaited remake. (And I can't seem to find 6) I like that Square actually has/had the common sense to remake or at least re-release it's classics every so often with most systems lacking backwards compatibility and I don't want my living room looking like the Angry Video Game Nerd lives there. At this point I don't see why square doesn't just release something similar to what Rare is doing. "Hey, here's absolutely everything you give a shit about from forever!" I'd settle for that.

The game looks great, sounds great. I'm hopeful that any changes they do to the gameplay are either minor or clear improvements. As somewhat of a purist I hated the FF1 remake that used MP instead of memorization like the original. That just made things so much fucking easier. To the point that it felt like I was just enjoying the story instead of the challenge. Which would have been fine my first time but I was there for a stroll down memory lane grinding and all.

I would love an after game cheesey as all hell way to raise Aerith. I loved those absurdly difficult dungeons in FF1 and FF2 remakes where you descended into hell fighting mostly badguys from future and alternate titles and just enjoying the world afterwards and it would make for a fun moment as long as it was after the story had officially ended. MAybe some other fun stuff just to goof around.

I'd love for them to expand the games in the Golden Saucer just cus they can. Maybe toss in some Square classics like Rad Racer just to fill the joint out a bit.

Other than that just hoping for fun. And that they go and work out the rights to Parasite Eve. That book is over twenty years old the author should be over the moon if someone wants to buy the rights again.

The Doc
June 16th, 2015, 12:28 PM
never played ff7 this game better be good or i will never trust any of you shitheads

While it's fun it is quite possibly the most overhyped game in the history of the universe. Personally I find you can literally tell when a person started gaming by if they swear by FF7 of FF6. I'm not gonna talk about all these damn youngins on my goddamn lawn but. . .don't put me on that list of untrustworthy whippersnappers if you don't think this game is the bees knees.

G-Fresh
June 16th, 2015, 12:37 PM
4 is better than 6.

The_Mike
June 16th, 2015, 1:12 PM
JP why does someone so awesome have such awful Final Fantasy opinions? XII was garbage. I would fight you but we'll have to sit through five unskippable cutscenes that make no sense first. :p

The Doc
June 16th, 2015, 2:25 PM
My dislike of XII isn't even the cut scenes it the battle system works too well and not well enough. I had those gambits set so well that the game literally played itself while I leveled up my pokemon. I don't remember the entire chain but it was like, attack, if flying us magic, if weak heal, if really weak use potion, if this person attacks attack what they attack. And since the living monsters were farther along in the dungeon they'd navigate the dungeon largely without my help. Twas great.

Then BAM this plant dragon shows up and BAM Shiva shows up and I have no idea how to take active control of a battle because I've been so used to being a passive participant. But that's mostly on me you know?

4 is better than 6.

My only real dislike of 4 are three major things. First how everybody who died or sacrificed themselves along the way both come back from the dead making their deaths kinda meaningless long term, and two they are alive and they stick me with a crappy party instead of getting down here and helping the fuck out. Finally Zeromus has got to be amongst the worst end bosses of all time. And I mean all fucking time that about ruins the game.

JP
June 16th, 2015, 3:13 PM
JP why does someone so awesome have such awful Final Fantasy opinions? XII was garbage. I would fight you but we'll have to sit through five unskippable cutscenes that make no sense first. :p

That's something I've never got, criticism of the story and characters. I think they're both outstanding. There hasn't been better character scripting or voice acting in any ff game, for me.

The 13 series actually anger me with how far the quality level fell. :mad:

The Rick
June 16th, 2015, 3:23 PM
I'm nervous for this game. It's all about how the combat is handled. If they take it the route of these last few years of games, I'm going to be very disappointed. But I will still probably play it due to my love of the world.

Tainted Eclipse
June 16th, 2015, 3:23 PM
ff12 just didnt feel right, never got into it. lacked the charm and atmosphere of the previous games, which is really where final fantasy has always had its value. the storyline never much interested me and i didnt care for the battle system.

The Rick
June 16th, 2015, 3:27 PM
I think part of the reason that quite a few of us have so much invested in these earlier worlds is because of the text based story. You had to read so much, and your brain had to commit so much that you couldn't help but be invested in these games. They all have their flaws, but dammit I'd love to replay through just about any of them over what SquareEnix has been giving us these last 5-10 years.

Dreyski
June 16th, 2015, 5:14 PM
X was very good and X-2 a great reinvention of existing systems.

But XII, XII is the masterpiece. Me and Stan will fight anyone who disagrees. :squint:

:heart: Listen to JP, he speaks the truth.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/FinalFantasyXII

Final Fantasy XII is a complicated and detailed game noticeably different in storyline from other Final Fantasy games; whilst other games focus on individual characters, XII is less about people and more a story of Nations and nationalism, and the lengths some will go to gain power and control destiny. That's not to say it isn't a character study, with Judge Gabranth's clouded conscience and dark history being one of the major subplots - and hence why he's on the boxart. It's full of intrigue and interweaving stories, tactical team-based fighting, well-crafted dialogue and limit breaks (here called Quickenings). It explores the ideas of freedom, revenge, loyalty, peace, and the importance of dreams. It's also a deconstruction of the "Find powerful McGuffin to save the world" plot that's been around as long as the genre has, taking a much more sombre look at the pursuit of what is essentially a Weapon of Mass Destruction and the lengths to which people would go to gain — or regain — power.

The_Mike
June 16th, 2015, 5:20 PM
That's something I've never got, criticism of the story and characters. I think they're both outstanding. There hasn't been better character scripting or voice acting in any ff game, for me.

The 13 series actually anger me with how far the quality level fell. :mad:

I won't disagree XIII was a massive step down in pretty much every way, including the story and characters. I just found XII to be largely incoherent. Aside from Ashe, none of my group had clear goals, and every ten minutes we were given an info dump from random people about some other people, all of whom were hundreds of miles away. There's a deep story somewhere in there, but it was not presented well at all, being buried among atrociously long-winded dialogue and CGI schmozzes.

Atty
June 16th, 2015, 5:23 PM
Wanted this for years... Decades, almost. Very happy it's being done but am very worried that they'll screw it all up. I just don't trust post XIII Square.

Obviously a day one buy and all, but worried all the same.

Mark Hammer
June 16th, 2015, 6:14 PM
Poor decision to remake this over 6.

JP
June 16th, 2015, 6:44 PM
I won't disagree XIII was a massive step down in pretty much every way, including the story and characters. I just found XII to be largely incoherent. Aside from Ashe, none of my group had clear goals, and every ten minutes we were given an info dump from random people about some other people, all of whom were hundreds of miles away. There's a deep story somewhere in there, but it was not presented well at all, being buried among atrociously long-winded dialogue and CGI schmozzes.

I've always struggled with why I felt XII was a level above anything else they've come up with (beyond sticking my tongue out, eyes shut and hands over ears), why the criticims of the story made no sense to me, or that the battle system was somehow simple.

That link Stan posted puts it better than I could have ever hoped to have. I'll push it one further; it's collectivism. The many rather than the few. How things effect all and not only some. The way the game is made lends itself to me feeling positive towards it; society over individualism.

Main titles in the Final Fantasy series and how they represent different political, economic and social ideologies.

If I actually make it to Uni to study Politics this side of ever, there's my dissertation. Bish, bash, bosh.

G-Fresh
June 26th, 2015, 11:34 PM
I ain't even gonna waste my time on this shit if it ain't turn based.

The Rick
June 27th, 2015, 4:17 PM
Poor decision to remake this over 6.

Nope. I don't know if they could do FFVI justice. It is still perfect in the sprite world it is in.

Atty
June 27th, 2015, 7:49 PM
Plus, they'd probably have Mark Hamill voice Kefka.

The Doc
June 28th, 2015, 1:17 AM
Plus, they'd probably have Mark Hamill voice Kefka.

And that's a problem in what universe? Though honestly as much of a pain in the ass as it would be I'd prefer FFVI to just be high end sprites that weren't feesible on the SNES over models.

Atty
June 29th, 2015, 9:43 AM
Exact same looking sprites at higher resolution and a not flat looking map. That is all 6 needs.

The Rogerer
June 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I could never get past the incongruous graphics in FF6. Detailed enemies, chibi player caracters, poorly digitised Amano drawings for portraits. Sort it out*

*Don't sort it out, you can't sort anything out anymore.

The Doc
June 30th, 2015, 2:44 PM
I did have some issues with that as a I got older, not so much as a kid when that just seemed like it was the way you did things.

Morrison
June 9th, 2019, 11:56 PM
https://youtu.be/aTCmN8TtkgQ

another short trailer for the release date reveal. march 3rd, 2020. square enix e3 presentation is tomorrow, where we'll probably get a bunch more info.

JP
June 10th, 2019, 6:40 AM
https://youtu.be/aTCmN8TtkgQ

another short trailer for the release date reveal. march 3rd, 2020. square enix e3 presentation is tomorrow, where we'll probably get a bunch more info.

On my fucking birthday?

God loves me.

JP
June 10th, 2019, 6:43 AM
That said, I really could do without Aerith doing her best Vanille impression.

Simon
June 10th, 2019, 6:45 AM
Can anyone TL;DR for me and confirm whether the Golden Saucer is gonna be in the remake? Could be a dealbreaker for me.

JP
June 10th, 2019, 6:59 AM
That fucking music is in my head now you bastard.

Tainted Eclipse
June 10th, 2019, 7:41 AM
They better still have the honey bee inn

RuneEdge
June 10th, 2019, 7:51 AM
Can anyone TL;DR for me and confirm whether the Golden Saucer is gonna be in the remake? Could be a dealbreaker for me.

Theres been rumours that the game will be episodic and the first part is completely contained within Midgar.

Simon
June 10th, 2019, 9:28 AM
That would be good. As incredible as the original was, I always found it a bit weird and anti-climactic that it started with this stunningly detailed, deep city, and then once you escaped to the world map it was sparsely populated with loads of smaller, isolated towns. It detracted from the sense of being in a living city that you got with Midgar.

Morrison
June 10th, 2019, 9:40 PM
https://youtu.be/vcGoJnswGb8

Morrison
June 10th, 2019, 9:41 PM
https://youtu.be/wlj8h9tua2A

expanded trailer.

incredible presentation for this game. the combat system seems like a terrific middle ground, bringing battles into the standard of this generation without totally abandoning what came before it. and i love that they also include the hot buttons for people who want a more purely action game. having a choice is great. that guard scorpion fight looks intense.you've got materia, you've got them fighting weird lizard things in the sewers, barrett and cloud are cursing, they didn't completely cover up tifa. seems very, very promising. the size of this is going to be insane, even with cutting the fat.

Hero!
June 10th, 2019, 10:25 PM
Ok. Looks like I might actually get into this.

Simon
June 11th, 2019, 3:35 AM
I hated that cunt scorpion.

JP
June 11th, 2019, 7:18 AM
This genuinely looks brilliant.

I hated 15. I wasn't FF. It just wasn't. The battle system was too far removed. This looks much more like it.

RuneEdge
June 11th, 2019, 8:10 AM
That reveal was amazing. Just love how everything looks, the characters, the scenery, etc. The bar at the Avalanche hideout, the Shinra tower, when Cloud's walking through the train. Just perfect. Nothing was redesigned and made to look different or weird from the original. Its just like how you'd imagine it would look. :heart:

EDIT
Also they basically confirmed that the first game is going to be just Midgar, and its expected to be long. You get the feeling that they're going to flesh out the different portions of the game and give it more dialogue and character. You can already see a bit more personality in Cloud which I actually love since it has always been my main criticism of the character
Everything looks amazing and even more epic. I can't wait.

RuneEdge
September 15th, 2019, 6:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x1AGz8DwtY

Summons look badass in this. They're basically like huge characters that fight alongside you, rather than being just an attack move.

G-Fresh
September 15th, 2019, 5:55 PM
I'm so happy that there will be a turn-based classic mode for this. I wasn't even gonna bother with it.

Badger
September 15th, 2019, 7:12 PM
This is gonna be fuckin great I'm sure. Thought I was gonna have to wait til 40 until this came out at one point.

Back when I was living at studen acommodation during my final year at uni, was playing through the original game and had the volume turned up loud at the scene where Aeris died and was fighting Jenova, got a knock on the door thinking noise complaint and the student neighbours high-fived me for recognising FF7 hshahaaa!

Managed to only get it for a fiver in GAME at the time when I got it. Fuckin bargain!

MMH
September 15th, 2019, 7:47 PM
I really don't like the look of this. I looks like any other modern Square Enix Final Fantasy game. All the characters faces look the same which takes some doing as there are different sexes and races involved. They make all their characters very android like and unlovable, shame as Squaresoft were great at putting character into their sprites too.

To echo DVDA a turn based option will probably entice me into buying/trying the game.

Has there been any Cait SIth sightings yet? What does he look like?

Also why are modern HUDs shit? Grey/blue things with tiny fonts that you can barely see.

Also the buster sword looks stupid on a "real" person

Badger
September 15th, 2019, 8:02 PM
Man you guys are being a bit picky. Hey maybe I'm more easily amused.

Morrison
September 15th, 2019, 8:04 PM
I really don't like the look of this. I looks like any other modern Square Enix Final Fantasy game. All the characters faces look the same which takes some doing as there are different sexes and races involved. They make all their characters very android like and unlovable, shame as Squaresoft were great at putting character into their sprites too.

To echo DVDA a turn based option will probably entice me into buying/trying the game.

Has there been any Cait SIth sightings yet? What does he look like?

Also why are modern HUDs shit? Grey/blue things with tiny fonts that you can barely see.

Also the buster sword looks stupid on a "real" person

nothing on cait sith, vincent, yuffie or cid, since they're all brought into the story after the initial midgar sequence. unless they've changed things up, they probably won't show in this game or it's marketing, and they'll save their reveals for the hype of the follow up, whenever the hell that is ready to come out.

we haven't seen red xiii yet, though. i suspect their will be at least one more dose of info and gameplay vids before the game releases, i'm thinking in either december or january, so i'm curious if they reveal him before the game comes out.

overall, i'm loving the way this seems to be turning out. the characters all look good, what we've seen of midgar seems to have the look and feel down. i'm a huge ff7 fan, and that's with admittedly never really playing much of the game. i watched my brother play it when we got it way back in 1997 or 1998, and have since then watched other playthroughs on twitch and youtube. i got it on my vita a couple years back and made it to kalm, but truthfully the random encounters and turn based combat were just never big with me, i'd lose energy and momentum in playing myself, so this turn to be more of an action game with some menu/command based options is exciting for me, though i love the fact they're including options for play-styles, so that everyone who loved the original can come in and experience this remake without feeling like it's 100% removed from the game they came to know.

Badger
September 15th, 2019, 8:26 PM
Cloud having a huge-ass buster sword is great. Maybe not "realistic" as such but fuck it's awesome.

RuneEdge
September 15th, 2019, 8:33 PM
Almost every video game character with a sword, has a big ass sword. Kind of a weird thing to criticise.

MMH
September 16th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Almost every video game character with a sword, has a big ass sword. Kind of a weird thing to criticise.

And that's awesome on a cartoon style character. It just looks weird on a realistic character. I wouldn't want them to change it as that's his gimmick but I dunno, I just don't love it.

I love FF7 though ,certainly one of the best of the series (and indeed of all time) but I would prefer if they tried to make a good new FF rather than a reskin of a classic.

RuneEdge
September 16th, 2019, 12:56 PM
The remake is trying to stay as faithful to the source as possible. There's no other way to have gone with this really.

I personally think the remake looks amazing. The remade music is brilliant, the character models all look exactly like how people would've imagined, the game mechanics look like the nice balance of old school and modern games. Its like everything's changed while nothing's changed either. Its almost perfect.

MMH
September 16th, 2019, 3:52 PM
The remake is trying to stay as faithful to the source as possible. There's no other way to have gone with this really.

I personally think the remake looks amazing. The remade music is brilliant, the character models all look exactly like how people would've imagined, the game mechanics look like the nice balance of old school and modern games. Its like everything's changed while nothing's changed either. Its almost perfect.

The faces of the characters have nothing though. I know its not finished yet but they look like every other Square Enix character. Totally expressionless androids, it's an issue I have had with their games for years and a reason why I have lost my love for FF games.

I will be interested to see how they deal with the humour in FF7. It will be important for them to get the right balance.

Badger
September 16th, 2019, 5:21 PM
I hope "this guy are sick" is included. :lol:

Badger
September 25th, 2019, 5:30 PM
Well here's the released box art for the game:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--bG_b7GXe--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/plxor360kefercrgwagc.jpg

Looks pretty sweet though they probably should've made it clear on the box that it's onlypart one.

RuneEdge
September 25th, 2019, 8:18 PM
Considering the timing of everything, it wouldnt even surprise me if the next part isnt even on this generation of consoles.

Atty
September 25th, 2019, 10:08 PM
I'd be shocked if it was on the same gen.

Rancid_Planet
September 25th, 2019, 10:28 PM
Well here's the released box art for the game:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--bG_b7GXe--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/plxor360kefercrgwagc.jpg

Looks pretty sweet though they probably should've made it clear on the box that it's onlypart one.

Hey its rated Rancid Planet. Nice.

Atty
September 25th, 2019, 10:31 PM
If Cloud does not cross dress, this is a huge missed opportunity.

Badger
September 26th, 2019, 1:18 PM
Hey its rated Rancid Planet. Nice.

:lol:

Badger
September 26th, 2019, 2:29 PM
Considering the timing of everything, it wouldnt even surprise me if the next part isnt even on this generation of consoles.

However this first part came out way earlier than I anticipated, thought I was gonna wait til I was 40 in a few years just to play the first part. Hopefully ět's not too spread out.

RuneEdge
September 26th, 2019, 2:53 PM
However this first part came out way earlier than I anticipated, thought I was gonna wait til I was 40 in a few years just to play the first part. Hopefully ět's not too spread out.

I just realised I kinda unintentionally alluded to how long this game took to be made. I was actually referring to the fact that the next gen consoles are expected to release around Christmas 2020. The same year this comes out.

Badger
September 26th, 2019, 2:55 PM
I just realised I kinda unintentionally alluded to how long this game took to be made. I was actually referring to the fact that the next gen consoles are expected to release around Christmas 2020. The same year this comes out.

Fair enuffski. :yes:

Atty
September 26th, 2019, 3:02 PM
Even more than a full on remake, I'd love a FF7 remaster like the one that was just put out for FF8. That's all I really want. Same exact game, with smoothed out and consistent visuals/character models.

The next parts of the Remake or, even worse, just the final part being exclusive to next gen seems more than probable.

Badger
September 26th, 2019, 3:08 PM
Even more than a full on remake, I'd love a FF7 remaster like the one that was just put out for FF8. That's all I really want. Same exact game, with smoothed out and consistent visuals/character models.

The next parts of the Remake or, even worse, just the final part being exclusive to next gen seems more than probable.

FF7 remaster for PS4 has already been done dude.

RuneEdge
September 26th, 2019, 6:54 PM
The FF7 remaster is actually coming out on Nintendo Switch in cart form, in a double pack with FF8.

Kinda cool to see a physical copy of the game on a Nintendo format after all these years and especially the history of the game's development.

Tainted Eclipse
September 27th, 2019, 2:39 PM

I want a game with the same graphics and everything with the only difference being including all the extra stuff that it was always rumored was supposed to be in the game but they didn’t have time to include it all

Badger
September 28th, 2019, 7:42 PM
Honestly, I'm happy and intrigued with the new graphics. If you want basically the same game with the same graphics, get the PS4 version.

Atty
September 29th, 2019, 12:05 AM
FF7 remaster for PS4 has already been done dude.

I don't really count that. The FF8 one is more of an improvement over the original. At least in terms of what I've played of it so far.

FF7 looks the same to me but you can fast forward.

Badger
September 29th, 2019, 2:46 AM
I don't really count that. The FF8 one is more of an improvement over the original. At least in terms of what I've played of it so far.

FF7 looks the same to me but you can fast forward.

Wanna know the best thing about FF8 Remastered?

After about 20 years, was finally able to beat Omega Weapon!!! :hyper:

Atty
September 29th, 2019, 5:55 PM
It’s also nice that it’s a game I haven’t beaten dozens (plural) of times and have forgotten much of. Feels really fresh with the nicer paint job.

RuneEdge
September 29th, 2019, 6:04 PM
With the way the box art of the remake looks, and the fact that it doesnt state that its part 1, it makes me wonder how that game will end.

By not saying its a multi part game, I imagine its going to be released or marketed like how they did Final Fantasy X-2, or FF13 Lightning Returns or whatever, where the original game (from my understanding since I didnt play FF13) was somewhat of a complete story and then you had sequels.

With this remake, I could see them presenting it as "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and then "Final Fantasy VII-2". But then that means the first part would have to close off like a full game in its own right and the next part being like a sequel. So I'm not sure how they're gonna do this and how I should feel about it.

Atty
September 29th, 2019, 9:09 PM
I haven't read up on it, but I keep expecting the first part to be almost all Midgar.

If it has to be broken into parts, having the first part basically be a redo of disc one and ending with SPOILER would be my choice.

RuneEdge
September 29th, 2019, 9:38 PM
Thats what everyone is expecting. But is that really a appropriate way to end a game? That was more like a season finale type ending, rather than a series finale. I mean it needs to end in a way where you wouldn't need to play the next game and the first game itself would've some what provided a full ending of some sort.

At least that's how I'd feel if the game didnt acknowledge that its a "part 1" of a story.

Morrison
September 29th, 2019, 9:57 PM
they've acknowledged it'll be multiple parts constantly for a long time now, the game itself looks great and it appears it's going to stay pretty faithful to the tone of the original. is 'part 1' being missing from the box art worth any breath? i give zero shits if someone buys the game with certain expectations and gets left hanging, especially if they had a great experience playing the damn thing.

Atty
September 29th, 2019, 10:14 PM
It should end with a cliffhanger to make people care about playing the next game.

Cloud gets assimilated by the Borg and Barrett is forced to fire on him. Boom.

RuneEdge
September 30th, 2019, 8:38 AM
they've acknowledged it'll be multiple parts constantly for a long time now, the game itself looks great and it appears it's going to stay pretty faithful to the tone of the original. is 'part 1' being missing from the box art worth any breath? i give zero shits if someone buys the game with certain expectations and gets left hanging, especially if they had a great experience playing the damn thing.

No one's up in arms about it. People are just questioning why this is the case. No one's gonna not play the game because it this.

Morrison
March 2nd, 2020, 5:23 AM
the demo just got released on the ps store. cant wait top try this shit out.

RuneEdge
March 2nd, 2020, 8:20 AM
Played the demo when it leaked online a few weeks ago. Its such an amazing nostalgia trip if you played the original. Everyone do yourself a favour and play the demo. It's awesome.

Badger
March 2nd, 2020, 3:49 PM
Nearly done with work, cannot wait to get home to try this! :hyper:

Badger
March 2nd, 2020, 7:54 PM
Loved the demo. Played it on normal mode and the Scorpion fight was quite challenging and barely survived. Getting used to switching modes and characters during battle.

MMH
March 4th, 2020, 10:02 AM
I still think Aeris looks awful.

A totally non descript looking character.

Caito
March 4th, 2020, 9:52 PM
Just played thru the demo.

got a good chuckle out of Barrett singing the “battle is won” tune.

- - - Updated - - -

Def didn’t survive Scorpion the first go round on normal.

Peter Griffin
March 6th, 2020, 4:16 AM
Glad I wasn't the only one to struggle with scorpion haha

Badger
March 6th, 2020, 7:44 AM
I had like one or two potions left to heal before beating him. Hard motherfucker.

G-Fresh
March 27th, 2020, 1:26 AM
So what edition did ya'llz order? I got the deluxe digital version so I could get the Chocobo, Cactuar, and Carbuncle summons.

Peter Griffin
April 8th, 2020, 9:08 AM
Boomerang just despatched this to me :hyper:

RuneEdge
April 8th, 2020, 9:53 AM
Boomerang just despatched this to me :hyper:

I literally read this and got the notification of mines being dispatched. Apparently arriving tomorrow. :hyper:

Im off work for 14 days in 3 weeks time, so I'm gonna have to try and hold off from playing though.

Psycho666Soldier
April 8th, 2020, 11:43 AM
I have mine pre-ordered digitally. I'll be able to play it at 11pm tomorrow night.

Who needs sleep, anyway?

G-Fresh
April 8th, 2020, 7:06 PM
I'm even gonna chill out on the pills tomorrow night so I know what's goin on Friday. I'm so fuckin hyped for this.

Badger
April 9th, 2020, 4:22 AM
I literally read this and got the notification of mines being dispatched. Apparently arriving tomorrow. :hyper:

Im off work for 14 days in 3 weeks time, so I'm gonna have to try and hold off from playing though.

I’m off for 2 months due to illness so I know what how I’ll be spending my time!

Every Cloud has a silver lining pun intended.

Badger
April 11th, 2020, 8:43 AM
Oh I love this game! Playing it with my FF7 shirt on lol!

Tainted Eclipse
April 11th, 2020, 9:30 AM
watched some youtube videos and im just too much of a curmudgeon on this topic to be interested in this. i was interested in an actual remake, not a totally different game.

Psycho666Soldier
April 11th, 2020, 12:58 PM
watched some youtube videos and im just too much of a curmudgeon on this topic to be interested in this. i was interested in an actual remake, not a totally different game.

There's a lot of good in it. For me, it's just a more immersive way to experience the world, with a lot of details and character development better fleshed out. Ideally, I'd like a proper JRPG remake as well. But the gameplay actually blends the turn-based elements with the Action RPG skin very well, while not actually changing the story more than filling in some spots with more activity.

That said, I'm not expecting to change your mind on this. If you're wanting a core JRPG experience from it, you're probably just not gonna like it. But if you liked any of the games since XII, this really does feel like a much more polished version of the direction they've been going. Especially compared to XV.

Badger
April 11th, 2020, 2:12 PM
I’m liking there being more expansion and sidequests, but yeah those who were hoping for a more straightforward remake I agree that this may not be for them.

The music, graphics and gameplay are sweet oh and the voice-acting for Barrett is top notch, suits the character well.

Psycho666Soldier
April 11th, 2020, 2:42 PM
I've honestly just been feeling out over all the little details. That moment when I realized I could just move the camera up and see the plate oppressing you from above - that was pretty awesome.

Tainted Eclipse
April 11th, 2020, 3:05 PM
just tell me the one thing i do want to know: do they have the honey bee inn bath scene?

Psycho666Soldier
April 11th, 2020, 3:59 PM
just tell me the one thing i do want to know: do they have the honey bee inn bath scene?

Haven't been that far yet(I left off last night after landing in the Sector 5 Church), but I know the Honeybee Inn and the cross-dressing bits are still included, so I have hopes.

So far, no real scene or detail has been glossed over. Even when I think, "Oh, man, this tiny little detail that is probably irrelevant but matters to me wasn't included," it always ends up popping up just a little later.

Tiny spoiler for anyone not wanting to ruin similar experiences:
I thought they weren't going to have the little mini-game in Reactor 5 where all three of you have to press the buttons at the same time to open a security lock. Not only did they slip it in, they also gave a reward for doing a slightly harder version of the mini-game.

Badger
April 12th, 2020, 8:39 AM
Still in the Sector 7 slumsmyself and not even got to the second Mako reactor bombing yet. I do look forward to see what they do with the Honey Bee inn scene though,

RuneEdge
April 12th, 2020, 12:01 PM
I'm in the same place, doing the side quests. It really does feel like a overly padded version of the original game. I think the fact that I've played the original means I'm eagerly anticipating the various parts of the story to unfold without any patience.
There's something in this game for everyone. New players and players of the original. But like people said, if you're looking for a proper 1:1 remake, then this ain't it.

I do have a couple of minor issues with the game.

1. I wish I could change the damn controls. I dont like how X brings up the menu and TRIANGLE is to interact with stuff. I want to be able to swap them around. I think that would make more sense.

2. I dont like how you can hear all the NPCs as you walk past them, especially when they start almost talking over the one main character you're having a conversation with.

Other than that, its good so far. :yes:

MMH
April 13th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Is this still a multi part thing or is it the whole game in one?

I mean I will give it a go eventually even with the standard Square Enix character models, but I dont think I can justify paying full whack for part of a game when Persona 5 Royal is on the market too...

Badger
April 13th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Is this still a multi part thing or is it the whole game in one?

I mean I will give it a go eventually even with the standard Square Enix character models, but I dont think I can justify paying full whack for part of a game when Persona 5 Royal is on the market too...

This is just the first part.

I bought Persona too but I justify that with being currently off work for a while plus being stuck indoors due to this pandemic so needs something to do!

Peter Griffin
April 13th, 2020, 1:14 PM
Even though yes it is the first 'part', It should really be looked at as the first in a new series of games. This have been redone and fleshed out excellently. Even if you rush you should be clocking 30 hours or so. But with all the collectables, Materia, Side quests it is very much a full game experience.

Atty
April 18th, 2020, 10:20 PM
After having thought about it, I love this game. How much I love it in the long term will depend on how the next entries turn out. Absolutely love the combat system in it and loved seeing characters and set pieces fleshed out.

For those worried about it only being part of a game, it's a full game. Dropping 60-70 hours into this would not be a surprise. I'm going through on hard mode now and am somewhere in the 50s, but I'm doing everything I can find to do.

Spoiler on a 20+ year old scene:
The dropping of the plate segment is so good. Caring about the little side characters and then switching the lolpwned to help save people in Sector 7, it added a ton to that sequence.

Psycho666Soldier
April 19th, 2020, 4:56 AM
This is a huge ass post with a lot of gushing, so bear with me:

I'm just going to say right now that all around, this game was fantastic. If I want to get nitpicky, which I certainly did at points in the game, I could pull out some flaws that bothered me which I'll cover here. Almost all of these are down things to do with the music or plot changes. But overall, I could understand or appreciate most of the changes because it facilitates the my main judgment of this game: it pays massive homage and respect to the original while forging its own path that is satisfying on its own.

Atmosphere/Aesthetic: One of the things this game just nailed perfectly is the atmosphere. Despite the incredible graphics that are far beyond anything seen in the Final Fantasy games, let alone VII, it doesn't sacrifice the aesthetic of the original. Color palettes, distinct, at time blocky shapes, familiar landmarks just rush you with nostalgia in a way that makes you feel like you've been transported into the FFVII world, seeing what it would look like if it was your real life. It's basically like seeing a polished version of the original's concept art and the cutscenes. So many times throughout, I found myself just taking the time to soak in the environment and fawn over every little detail. I said it before, but there is nothing like being able to just look up at the oppressive plate towering above you. This is enhanced by details like being able to see the materia slotted into your weapon, and even reflecting the linked slots and specific placement. There's also a remarkably accurate re-mapping of the locales. Knowing things would be different by nature of expanding, I felt the geographic layout of everything mostly mirrored the maps of the original.

Let's also not forget the many conversations of the basic civilians and deeper exploration of the impact on the common person in Midgar that shine a whole new light on the actions of the original.

Music: The music was handled 90% wonderfully. I loved most of the new arrangements for the classic pieces. It probably helps that I've been getting into the idea of leitmotifs lately, but this is something the Final Fantasy series and many video games have been doing for years. They take a basic theme, melody, or rhythmic idea, and contextualize it differently through new instrumentation, style, or key, to convey the connection to a character or overarching theme while reflecting how it's significant in different scenarios. Aerith's theme and the FFVII theme were some wonderful example of this use. The key thing for me is that I think what makes these new arrangements acceptable is the fact that for every new variation, the game mostly pairs that with a version identical to the original with modern sound technology. For example, the Mako Reactor theme. I felt this was one of the stronger arrangements in the whole game, and coupling that with a battle edit version felt like such an immersive new way to explore a classic. Whenever all the teases of Sephiroth or JENOVA's theme kept getting spliced increasingly throughout the game, it sent chills down my spine. And for what it's worth, I liked all the brand new pieces that were included, and ultimately and happy they weren't afraid to bring in new musical elements.

I also actually really enjoyed the contemporary remixes you heard through the music discs. While not all of them were perfect, considering most of these themes were based on tracks that aren't normally in this portion of the story, I think it was a nice way to squeak in a bit of nostalgia while having fun. When I heard the jazz blues version of Barret's theme the first time, I was just smiling from ear to ear hearing how they transformed it.

That said, the other side to all this is there are some themes that never get a proper arrangement that sounds right, and that bothered me. The Turks theme is an example, as without the snaps and minimalist percussion with heavy bass hits, it just felt flat and non-descript. But the most egregious example is the fucking Wall Market theme, or "Oppressed People" There's a more faithful version that plays for a minute before it transitions into the weird, dub-style battle edit version that permeates the Sector 6 area. This hits for me because this was one of my favorite themes from the original. To be saddled with one of the most bleh remixes as an alternative and spend the entire Wall Market experience listening to "A Whole New World ~Vegas Remix~" while going through one of the most retconned stages of the whole game - it's just salt in the wound. That's not to say I don't like the new Wall Market aesthetic and really pushing the idea of it as a tourist attraction, but it definitely loses some of its seediness by virtue of the new theme.

While that did sour me a little, the overall aural experience was a treat, and some of the new tracks, like Avalanche's theme, found a way into my heart.

Gameplay: This is the cream of the crop, here. The one saving grace that will always override any other complaint about this game. They really nailed this. I know mostly everyone was skeptical about the new battle system. I was included in those that were supremely bummed there would be no traditional turn-based system. But what they created not only perfects the Action RPG style they've geared towards the last few iterations, it incorporates the ATB system in a unique and meaningful way. While you can mostly get away with a hack-and-slash mentality early on, the game starts pushing you into a corner to think more strategically by the time you get to Reactor 5. It's basically turn-based in the sense that your most effective actions come from the ATB-dependent abilities, but you have to control the battle in the meantime with your basic attack and defense. This becomes even more poignant once you have a full party. Certain enemies are handled better with Barret, whereas Tifa is great for staggering enemies and building up quick ATB slots to support the party. It starts becoming a matter of swapping between characters to build them up to an ATB gauge, and choosing how you want them to interact or approach the enemy from different angles. And by the end of the game, I found myself wanting to play as all characters pretty equally, with a huge bias for Tifa.

The challenge is high in this game. I played on Normal difficulty, and while I only died maybe two times, achieving victory was a cathartic sigh of relief for every boss, and even some of the random battles. It is easy to stock up on items, and the game's generosity in healing your party after big moments makes it rarely feel like the, "Need to get to a save point and use my tent" vibe, which is probably a good thing for some. But that said, it only really helps in between each battle when your massive stockpile of potions are locked behind an ATB bar. It keeps you on your toes, and makes you have to think like a JRPG in an action setting: I found myself making great use of spells like Haste and Regen much like I would in the original.

And the optional quests are a blast. While some of the NPCs are unimpressive, and there's sort of a formula of "Go to this area for a quest, then come later for an stronger monster," it never feels recycled or too fetch-quest like. Part of that is the way the characters interact and each sidequest having some kind of plot attached to it that's fully acted. The other is that they don't load you with so many sidequests that they have to repeat their selves. They don't wear out their welcome, and some of the rewards are pretty satisfying. Peppering these with some great mini-games that are both new and nostalgic both keeps the game feeling fresh and caters to the spirit of the original.

Story: I'm kinda lumping both plot elements and the handling of locations here, but I think this is easily the most divisive aspect of the game. The ending is going to piss a lot of people off, and like Atty said, my opinion can drastically change depending on how they handle the sequels. But before I get to the ending…

What the game does well for most of the story is that it fills in the blanks between the major plot points of the original. Up until Wall Market, it mostly stays this course. Small moments and aspects of dialogue remain, without being placed out of order for the most part. Meanwhile, the new content serves both as an excuse to get 40+ hours out of Midgar and, more importantly, to characterize everyone better. We get more of the socially awkward Cloud that belies his Ex-SOLDIER badass exterior. We feel more of Barrett's passion for the planet, and Tifa's desire to get to know and understand Cloud more than they did as kids. And of course, we get much more attachment and sympathy for the members of Avalanche. Knowing what comes next, some of the moments between Cloud and Jessie can be so heartbreakingly bittersweet. Spoilers, particularly those who haven't played the original:

The entire chapter surrounding the dropping of the plate was heart-wrenching. Not only did you spend much more time with Avalanche to feel more hurt by the loss of those characters, but you also got more time to be in the slums. Seeing the people making the most of their situation and dealing with the ramifications of the Shinra/Avalanche made you feel more urgency, especially when they covered aspects like the evacuation effort. Everything following this was some masterful storytelling and acting that really brought the characters to life.

However, upon arriving at Wall Market, the story starts making some notable departures, and the gap only grows wider through the rest of the game. I want to say upfront that I'm ultimately thrilled with what they did with Wall Market, and all musical complaints are rectified upon entering Corneo's mansion. Now I'll have to get in to specifics, so the following are both spoilers on the original and the new game:

I generally get why they did it, but I'm a bit torn on the change of how Cloud ends up cross-dressing. In the original, it's pretty much the whole point of being at Wall Market. Here, they keep all the sidequests and mini-games, but they have no bearing on Cloud dressing up. On top of that, it's almost kind of shoehorned in just before entering Corneo's mansion. This ends up making the sidequests feel more pointless, and while I took the Johnny path and enjoyed it for what it was, it completely changed the vibe of the activities. It also had me increasingly worried that they were going to skip over Cloud getting in a dress and retcon one of the most memorable moments of the whole game.

Those complaints aside, I did enjoy the new characters and getting a feel for the community and the underbelly if Wall Market, all while building the intrigue of Don Corneo so much more, who they fucking nailed.

Past that, both the journey to Shinra HQ and the events occuring in it are drastically changed, and this is where I'll get into the nitpicky. The former was actually a pretty good retelling, and I liked the asserted idea that this whole time you were climbing over Sector 7 wreckage. I'm pretty sure the original never says this, but it definitely added a new element to the journey. But with the actual Shinra HQ, changes like Domino being an inside man for Avalanche felt a bit convenient, and him telling you where to go to spy on the meeting takes away some of the exploring element. And while I get why they changed everything surrounding the order of events for Hojo and Shinra's murder, it kind of sapped a lot of the mystery out of the section where you're mysteriously broken out of your jail cells and you're following a trail of blood. And it's kind of dumb, but I'm bothered that Red XIII isn't introduced via Hojo trying to mate him with Aerith.

For the sake of this game, though, I do like the retcon of Shinra's death. I remember being a bit disappointed and shocked that the presumed main villain was killed off before ever really doing anything. Barret deserved his moment to tell him off, and the character definitely earned a more climactic ending.

The Ending: Speculation and potential concerns aside, this ending was a wild fucking ride. I'm including pretty much the entirety of the final chapter, because it's non-stop throughout. The final clash is on an incredibly epic scale, and it definitely has shades of the Bizarro Sephiroth fight(no, it's not Bizarro Sephiroth). This is all spliced with some wonderful character work, voice-acting, and musical cues and swells that just bring the whole package together. Enough so that I think it makes for a highly satisfying conclusion for both the new and old fans, even if the old fans aren't a fan of the proposed direction they're taking.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR BOTH GAMES AHEAD:
Clearly, the plot devices they're using here are a means to make an excuse to take the game in whatever direction they feel like without having to stay close to the original. And naturally, that's a bit scary. What's beautiful about it is it's about fighting against fate to make the future you want to see, and well...many people always wanted to find that secret that let you revive Aerith. The concept that Aerith, Cloud, Sephiroth, and occasionally everyone else can see glimpses into the intended future, one that the Whispers seek to keep intact - is very bold, and I think makes for some intriguing story hooks to keep old fans on their toes going forward.

Naturally, this implies that there's a chance Aerith won't die, and that the rest of the games may share very little with the original when it comes to even basic plot points. But I think this game has proven otherwise in some cases. I believe that while the order and details of events may be changed, the idea here is that certain events are unavoidable. When you think about it, the game begins diverging when Sephiroth makes an early appearance to start fucking with Cloud's head. From here, the game starts slowly inserting other changes, to the point that the Shinra HQ portion is a majority different. This leads to moments like the party confronting President Shinra before he dies. And there's the kicker: President Shinra still dies, despite the drastically different circumstances surrounding it. Red XIII still joins the party. The crew still make an escape from Midgar and set out on a journey to stop Sephiroth.

And I think in the end, Aerith still dies. Maybe it's delayed. Maybe it happens different. But it'll still happen. And probably catch us more off-guard and hit us even harder than before.

Some people think it's a time travel thing, and I think it's more a matter of embracing the multiverse theory by letting people see visions of the future. I don't think Sephiroth or Aerith are from the original timeline trying to do things different. I think Sephiroth is so tapped into the lifestream that he's able to see the future rather clearly and is trying to change it to reach a future where he succeeds. He's gaining power to rival the arbiters of fate, which is why he's able to take Cloud to places like the Edge of Creation. Aerith, being Cetra, also has a strong tie to the Lifestream, so it makes sense that she knows so much, too.

Ultimately, I think a lot of main story elements will still remain intact, as they've already been set-up in this installment, but we'll see new characters and have some of the plot arcs completely changed around one major event. Like maybe you don't march in a parade at Junon, but you're still trying to sneak on a boat to get to another continent (though, that's a bad example because I don't want them to cut that).

Overall, I'll withhold an official opinion on the future of the series until I see it play out. But on its own, the Final Fantasy VII Remake was damn near a masterpiece. It had me deep deep deeeeeeep in the feels with all sorts of nostalgia and appreciation for the new context. The battle system was incredibly handled and loads of fun to experiment with. The music was superb. And regardless of complaints about differences, the story was told so well and incredibly compelling, with some of the best character work I've had the pleasure to experience in a video game. Whether as an old fan or someone new to it, I highly recommend this, and can't wait to start digging into the replay content just so I can experience it all over again.

Atty
April 26th, 2020, 9:55 PM
For your Wall Market bit in one of the tags, on my hard mode replay I got totally different quests than on my first play. Love that minor differences in choices can change what quests you get. Didn't expect that.

For the ending:
Now that they opened the door to it, I hope they go and do their own thing in the next games. Don't hold back on it. Don't do what Star Trek did with their alternate timeline and just redo Wrath of Khan. Do something new and fresh using familiar characters and settings. Lead it to a 'better ending' for this world. I love the bittersweet OG ending, but using that as a base to lead to something else for the characters would be refreshing.

Aerith plays as knowing too much, especially on replay. With her knowing how to break the timeline, I'm thinking that she came back through the lifestream (Sepy too) to alter the past. They can't top her original death so, with the story as it is, I say don't even try. Take it in a new direction.

Peter Griffin
April 26th, 2020, 11:10 PM
Aye doing certain quests in wall market cancels out others, So if you want the trophy for all quests you have to replay chapter 9.

Badger
April 27th, 2020, 10:11 AM
Almost near the end, took a break halfway through playing to play Persona 5 Royal. Couple of spoilers ahead:

Seems there’s no hot tub scene at the Honeybee Inn unless I didn’t trigger it correctly. Cloud dancing on stage though before getting dressed up. :rofl:

Also good to see the Avalance guys get more backstory. Although I obviously knew Jessie was gonna die, I still nearly teared up at her death scene on the Sector 7 pillar.

Badger
May 5th, 2020, 7:20 PM
Finished this the other night, lot more fights in the last couple of chapters than I thought. Final fight was intense, Cloud and Aerith both dead, Tifa's HP in the red and Sephiroth nearly dead but Tifa was on limit break. If I'd chosen to try and revive them he'd probably have killed me so made the snap decision to Somersault his bitch-ass instead. It worked and I'm glad she got the final blow! :)

Ending Spoilers

If Biggs ends up surviving because destiny was changed then does Wedge survive too as it is unconfirmed if he died in the first place, all we heard was the Whispers throwing him through glass.

I'm looking forward to see what they do in the future parts, but hope they don't pay too much fan service and have most if not everyone survive. Personally I think they should stick with Aerith's death as that is one of the most pivotal moments of the orig7nal game.

Also going through Hojo's wards was pretty weary and felt like padding.

Atty
May 14th, 2020, 12:49 PM
Finished this the other night, lot more fights in the last couple of chapters than I thought. Final fight was intense, Cloud and Aerith both dead, Tifa's HP in the red and Sephiroth nearly dead but Tifa was on limit break. If I'd chosen to try and revive them he'd probably have killed me so made the snap decision to Somersault his bitch-ass instead. It worked and I'm glad she got the final blow! :)

Ending Spoilers

If Biggs ends up surviving because destiny was changed then does Wedge survive too as it is unconfirmed if he died in the first place, all we heard was the Whispers throwing him through glass.

I'm looking forward to see what they do in the future parts, but hope they don't pay too much fan service and have most if not everyone survive. Personally I think they should stick with Aerith's death as that is one of the most pivotal moments of the orig7nal game.

Also going through Hojo's wards was pretty weary and felt like padding.

For something in your spoiler
I think that Aerith should end up living and Cloud dying to set up the final. Tifa swapping with Aerith would be the easy move, but killing Cloud could throw everything into chaos leading to the final part.

Badger
May 15th, 2020, 5:10 AM
For something in your spoiler
I think that Aerith should end up living and Cloud dying to set up the final. Tifa swapping with Aerith would be the easy move, but killing Cloud could throw everything into chaos leading to the final part.

That’s an interesting take but I wonder how would they go about Cloud being killed because of his backstory the Lifestream sequence with Tifa and Cloud? The Cloud reveal would have to happen first in some sort of way I reckon before they off him.

Mazer
June 8th, 2020, 4:16 PM
Do you love Final Fantasy VII? Do you love strategy and deceit? Do you love your fellow Rajahites?

If you answered yes or no to any of these questions, you should play Final Fantasy VII Mafia in the BG Forum.

JP has constructed a labor of love based on the game. If you haven't played mafia before, its basically a game based on team play and identification. "Town" tries to eliminate the "Scum/mafia". Mafia will try to eliminate town before being discovered. Most people can piece it along fairly well on a first play-through. And there's a fair amount of support from the group as you pick it up. This would be a great game to get started on, because you'd be familiar with the overall story/dynamics between characters.

Started playing the mafia games here last year, and its probably my favorite thing on here currently. Fun strategy that gets more fun with repeated play. Some of the posters are really good, and will try to break down everything in detail. But you can win by being generally aware of dynamics and playing smart. You can really dive in, or have a lot less time spent and still have fun.

I realize I'm really advocating, but we've been playing more regularly and would like to find a few more regular and/or semi-regular players.

Check it out if interested:
https://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?t=154448&p=8159033#post8159033

Peter Griffin
June 8th, 2020, 4:41 PM
I'd love to but I'm thick as fuck.

Mazer
June 8th, 2020, 4:44 PM

I don't buy that, but even if it was true....there's good company in that group. You'd be surprised how much we blunder into success or failure.

You should give it a run.

Psycho666Soldier
June 8th, 2020, 5:16 PM

I'd love to see you give it a shot, PG. You might find you have more of a knack for it than you'd think.

Peter Griffin
June 8th, 2020, 5:39 PM
OK I'll give it a shot.

Psycho666Soldier
June 8th, 2020, 5:54 PM
Badass. Just click the link Mazer said, find the most recent post where someone signed up and add your name to the list.

CWE
June 8th, 2020, 6:11 PM

We have plenty of people who play who are thick as fuck. You'd fit right in.

Jarrod1983
June 8th, 2020, 7:18 PM
We have plenty of people who play who are thick as fuck. You'd fit right in.

:wave:

I'll admit to needing to be spoon fed information more than once.

Caito
June 10th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Even better..... normally we force JP into a drunken Gin haze....

which I’m pretty sure is actually the point of Mafia Games.

Morrison
February 25th, 2021, 7:53 PM
holy ff7 news.

first off, YUFFIE.

https://youtu.be/F7bEoGile7Q

ps5 version of remake titled INTERGRADE, as well as a DLC side-story with yuffie as the main character. i assume this is going to be available on the ps4, as well.

Morrison
February 25th, 2021, 7:53 PM
FF7 BATTLE ROYALE... on mobile.

https://youtu.be/4ZD6_UkiORY

not gonna lie, i'd be down to play this if it was on PC or console. i'm sure someone will find a way to get it working on PC, but hopefully if it does alright they'll find a reason to get it on consoles and PC.

Morrison
February 25th, 2021, 7:54 PM
and then EVER CRISIS... another mobile game.

https://youtu.be/sOkpCjBGK3g

which looks like the exact kind of thing a certain portion of people wanted the ff7 remake to be, with an upgrade in visual style/fidelity but staying very strict with the original game. on top of that, it seems the game will span the ENTIRE ff7 universe timeline, with advent children, before crisis, crisis core and dirge of cerebus all being a part of the playable game. they say it's a chapter based single player game, but i wonder exactly how much of the original games that are incorporated are actually going to be playable. having the entire games in there, with this updated style, and only releasing it for mobile, seems like a super odd decision, if that's what it ends up being.

Badger
February 25th, 2021, 7:59 PM
Yeah I’m with you and gonna wait to see if it’s on console or PC. Playing games like that on a phone just isn’t the same for me but hope they do well.

Psycho666Soldier
February 25th, 2021, 8:03 PM
holy ff7 news.

first off, YUFFIE.

ps5 version of remake titled INTERGRADE, as well as a DLC side-story with yuffie as the main character. i assume this is going to be available on the ps4, as well.

I don't normally say this sort of thing, but

Yuffie is my waifu and I want this like yesterday.

Bert
February 25th, 2021, 9:08 PM
holy ff7 news.

first off, YUFFIE.

Ps4 to ps5 upgrade is free but the yuffie dlc you have to buy.

I didn't buy it on ps4. I probably will on ps5.

Morrison
February 26th, 2021, 10:53 AM
holy ff7 news.

first off, YUFFIE.

so it's been confirmed that the yuffie DLC is a ps5 exclusive, which kinda sucks.

JP
February 26th, 2021, 11:12 AM
FF7 Remake is one of this month's PS4 games on PS Plus.

Not bitter I bought it a few months ago, oh no.

Pablo Diablo
February 26th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Patient Gamer pays off again.

Maybe at long last I'll finally properly play FF7....

Bert
February 26th, 2021, 3:20 PM
FF7 Remake is one of this month's PS4 games on PS Plus.

Not bitter I bought it a few months ago, oh no.

Well if you ever get a ps5 you get a free upgrade to that version. :dunno:

JP
February 26th, 2021, 3:58 PM
Well if you ever get a ps5 you get a free upgrade to that version. :dunno:

I'm not particularly one for playing games again.

*remembers I just bought a Switch specifically so I could get 3D All Stars before it got pulled*

I'll shut up now.

Morrison
September 14th, 2023, 5:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVL-ygqw3w

they are fucking nailing this remake series, especially with how they are presenting it before each release. i'm so fucking hyped.

Jenova
October 12th, 2023, 11:04 AM
Already preordered the deluxe edition.

Kdestiny
April 3rd, 2024, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVL-ygqw3w

they are fucking nailing this remake series, especially with how they are presenting it before each release. i'm so fucking hyped.

Ended up being excellent. Just finished it up. Went in not being a FF head, but this one has me hook line and sinker. I didn't want to put it down.

Peter Griffin
April 4th, 2024, 8:27 PM
I enjoyed it a lot ... No where near as much as the first part of the remake mind. I feel like they stuffed almost too much side content into it, which is a me thing admittedly as im somewhere between casual and hard-core gamer.

In the main story there were a couple of elements I didn't particularly care for which mainly involved being in control of someone other than cloud.

Psycho666Soldier
April 4th, 2024, 8:38 PM
I'm gonna be doing a full in-depth review in the next week or so, but overall I loved it. I loved all the extra content, and particularly that most of it was optional so you didn't have to do it. I think the ending is executed a bit worse than Remake, and there are some nitpicky changes that bothered me a bit, but overall I thought it was such a fun game with way more exploration of the characters.

The combat is still supreme.