PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 red ring uh oh!

Badger
April 28th, 2015, 3:09 PM
Ok so been out oftown, turbed on xbox360 it started red ringing. I'm unplugging ro leave for an hour and hopefully it willcool. Anyone else have this happen and how they fixed it?

MikeHunt
April 28th, 2015, 3:10 PM
Just buy a second hand arcade model. They are like 50. Sorted

Badger
April 28th, 2015, 3:12 PM
It is quite old, but kinda want it fixedtonight so I can watch Extreme Rules. Will consider that but any quick fixes?

RuneEdge
April 28th, 2015, 3:17 PM
Were you playing any games or something when it first happened? Or did it just RROD while it was idle?

Badger
April 28th, 2015, 3:30 PM
No, just turned it on and it started. Guy at mywork who's on the ball with this kind of stuff says itcould be a loose hard drive.

Clive Plasma
April 28th, 2015, 3:50 PM
Stick it in a bucket of rice

Badger
April 28th, 2015, 3:52 PM
Workmate was right, hard drive!

RuneEdge
April 28th, 2015, 3:55 PM
Possibly, if its happening as soon as you turn it on. Check all the cables at the back cuz that also gives you the lights if any of those (or even the ports) are faulty. As you're probably aware, the lights are supposed to be like error codes. So it could be a number of things.
The widely known RROD light issue comes from overheating of the console, which in most cases would require the console to run for a bit before it actually creates the problem. Hopefully thats not the case with yours.

EDIT
Nice work from your mate. :yes:

Badger
April 28th, 2015, 4:27 PM
He's got everyconsole under the sun at his house and his Dad's in IT so he knows his shit.

Rip
April 28th, 2015, 6:05 PM
Trip the over-heat and it re-sets, or fries.

Badger
May 1st, 2015, 9:15 AM
Never had that red ring situation before so was shitting myself. Was gonna go get a new one, but now know the hard drive is a valuable tip and has saved me money. My mate Mac who was honestly struggling with this problem too as he was at my flat yesterday and he's normally good with xbox had it happen playing Red Dead Redemption before of all games (amusing irony) and had to get a new xbox.

Might get a new one eventually, but at least there's still life in this one.

Pablo Diablo
May 1st, 2015, 10:20 AM
Red Dead Redemption was the game that made me buy a new PS3 back in the day. Well at least it was the disc that was in when the drive suddenly died.

Newf
May 1st, 2015, 10:39 AM
I had this happen when I hooked my Xbox up after a move. For some reason I thought to try it with the harddrive out and it worked. So then I put the harddrive back in but gave it a bit of a smuck. It still worked. Go figure. :dunno:

Badger
May 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
Fascinated to know how a loose hard drive causes that, probably just hardware fault.