PDA

View Full Version : Creating a boot disk

turdpower
April 27th, 2015, 6:34 PM
Alright lads, been going round the houses with this problem.

Someone at work asked me to look at their laptop, it had an issue with Windows 8 where it wouldn't boot properly - it just went straight into the automatic repair mode. I spent a good while Googling this to try and solve the problem and I've done everything you can without a disk. I managed to remove the repair cycle using the CMD prompt window. Basically it has a fault where the OS isn't loading properly so I guess it really does need the disc (or a disc).

I've tried doing this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media, I've made two CD's and tried it on a USB stick and it doesn't appear to recognise this at all. I've asked the person at work and they do not have the CD or don't remember even getting one and I don't have Windows 8 (or know anyone that does really) so I can't just use another disk.

Any advice?

The_Mike
April 27th, 2015, 7:01 PM
They probably didn't get a disc since a lot of OEMs don't bother with one nowadays. When you say it doesn't recognise the USB stick, do you mean it just will not boot from the stick? The BIOS might need to be set to boot from the USB first.

turdpower
April 28th, 2015, 4:13 AM
The bios doesn't appear to have an option to boot from the stick. The built in repair on the laptop (Sony vaio) and the windows 8 limited functionality that I have allow it to run from USB sticks and CDs but I can't get either of these things to work.

The_Mike
April 28th, 2015, 11:28 AM
How are you getting into the BIOS? I think for those kind of laptops you need to hit F2 and should be able to select an external drive to boot from in the Advanced tab.

The Rogerer
April 28th, 2015, 5:23 PM
It's a lottery with which F key it is, or it can be DEL too

RuneEdge
April 28th, 2015, 5:43 PM
I know this is stupidly obvious, but have you not tried burning Windows to a DVD and booting off that?

LOCONUT
April 28th, 2015, 7:20 PM
Control + Alt + Delete

LOCONUT
April 28th, 2015, 7:23 PM
Vaio's are cunts. If there is an Assist button, press and hold that while you power up and it should go right to the boot menu.

turdpower
April 29th, 2015, 4:21 PM
How are you getting into the BIOS? I think for those kind of laptops you need to hit F2 and should be able to select an external drive to boot from in the Advanced tab.

The Sony Vaio has an assist button as GBF says. I've tried fiddling around with the boot options but it doesn't respond to that.

turdpower
April 29th, 2015, 4:22 PM
I know this is stupidly obvious, but have you not tried burning Windows to a DVD and booting off that?

I've tried doing this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media, I've made two CD's and tried it on a USB stick and it doesn't appear to recognise this at all. I've asked the person at work and they do not have the CD or don't remember even getting one and I don't have Windows 8 (or know anyone that does really) so I can't just use another disk.

:blah:

Yes RuneEdge, I have...

The_Mike
April 29th, 2015, 5:37 PM
Do you know the model number of your Vaio?

turdpower
May 2nd, 2015, 12:22 PM
I don't now, I've given it back and suggested they go back to where they bought it (PC World) and either ask for a boot disk or ask them to run a boot disk in store. As I know they have their aftercare service anyway.

RuneEdge
May 5th, 2015, 11:31 AM
:blah:

Yes RuneEdge, I have...
:$

virms
May 6th, 2015, 9:20 PM
Fuck sake, rune. And you pretend to know about phones.

RuneEdge
May 7th, 2015, 3:48 PM
And you all fell for it. :yes: