PDA

View Full Version : Cris 'Cyborg' Justino signs with UFC *OFFICIAL*

Nash Diesel
March 27th, 2015, 10:23 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/cris-cyborg-justino-is-signed-to-the-ufc-032615

Basically it's the same exact situation as last time. After she defends her 145 strap July 10th, she will have to make 135 in INVICTA and from the sounds of it win the belt. THEN I'm assuming they will put together the Rousey-Cyborg fight but we're looking at probably mid 2016.

Hero!
March 27th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Holy Shit. This is big news. I wonder what finally pushed Dana into putting this together.

Nash Diesel
March 27th, 2015, 10:57 AM
I think a few things. #1-Rousey is running out of legit competition and while she herself is a draw, it's hard to build ppvs with Rousey v. nobody gives a shit about. #2-Rousey is on her way out, I give her 2 years before she calls it a day for active competition. So before she goes, why not try to put together the biggest WMMA fight of the modern era, since Gina v. Cyborg in Strikeforce?

The twist is the obvious, can Cyborg make 135? If she can't, it doesn't even matter.

Seanny One Ball
March 27th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Cyborg....I honestly hope Rousey kills her dead

The Law
March 27th, 2015, 1:22 PM
Is Rousy v. Cyborg the biggest fight UFC can put together right now? Nothing else is jumping out at me. Rousey needs a real challenge, and she's probably only a few years from switching over to movies and maybe WWE full-time.

Nash Diesel
March 27th, 2015, 2:03 PM
Cyborg....I honestly hope Rousey kills her dead

I am definitely interested in seeing Cyborg at 135. A couple years ago, at 140-145, Cyborg wins this fight 9/10 times. Now, with Rousey's striking evolving and her overall game on point, I say 5/10 Cyborg wins. Cyborg's one of the few women that has power in her punches. I'm not talking liver shots but straight up volume that hurts and can finish, you don't see hardly any females whether they're at 115, 135, 145, with a finishing rate via strikes.

I would not be shocked in any way shape or form if Rousey submitted Cyborg, didn't let go, snapped the arm, accepted the fine, the possible suspension, and called it a day. Once she fights Cyborg, win, lose, or draw, there is no doubt in my mind that Rousey is done with MMA full time.

Is Rousy v. Cyborg the biggest fight UFC can put together right now? Nothing else is jumping out at me. Rousey needs a real challenge, and she's probably only a few years from switching over to movies and maybe WWE full-time.

In terms of WMMA, yes. I think there are still some fights that people would shell out a shit ton of money to see i.e. Anderson Silva v. Jon Jones, Jon Jones moving up to HW and fighting someone like Cain, Werdum, or Dos Santos. Basically anything with Jon Jones lol. The issue with Cyborg is simply she isn't that well known by the casual fan that maybe orders 1 ppv every year or two.

Seanny One Ball
March 27th, 2015, 2:27 PM
To be honest it's two women that aren't exactly well known for being easy to get along with or for being particularly nice so I just want to see the lesser of the two evils win.

At least Ronda is an unquestionably awesome athlete. Cyborg looks a lot like the star of X-Pac's next sex tape.

Nash Diesel
March 27th, 2015, 2:56 PM
To be honest it's two women that aren't exactly well known for being easy to get along with or for being particularly nice so I just want to see the lesser of the two evils win.

At least Ronda is an unquestionably awesome athlete. Cyborg looks a lot like the star of X-Pac's next sex tape.

And Cyborg isn't an awesome athlete? I don't expect a lot of fans to look past LOOKS lol, or to give the 5 year old jokes a rest, but the way you've basically compared them using the "lesser of two evils" argument is pretty much the response everyone is giving.

Ronda looks good enough to fuck and Cyborg looks good enough for Triple H and X Pac to fuck lol.

Seanny One Ball
March 29th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Cyborg is a blatant drug cheat

Eddie Brock
March 29th, 2015, 2:00 PM
Can't wait for this fight let's hope Cyborg makes weight. Finally, a challenger.

Mark Hammer
April 1st, 2015, 6:11 AM
This news isn't quite as big as it seems; Cyborg has been fighting for Invicta (UFC's child promotion) for a couple of years now. The only, and I repeat only reason this fight has not yet happened is because Cyborg refuses to stop shooting nandrolone into her man butt and lifting weights all day in order to drop the few extra pounds for a title fight.

Mark Hammer
April 1st, 2015, 6:13 AM
Cyborg is a blatant drug cheat

What gave it away, was it her balls?

Nash Diesel
April 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
If you take steroids or used to take steroids, you can't talk shit. Just throwing that out there.

Mark Hammer
April 2nd, 2015, 2:39 PM
I've never taken steroids, but even if I had I could still talk shit considering I didn't use them to beat people up.

Nash Diesel
April 2nd, 2015, 2:46 PM
I've never taken steroids, but even if I had I could still talk shit considering I didn't use them to beat people up.

How do I know you weren't training to fight in MMA or boxing or a sport to gain an advantage? I don't give a fuck if you were using steroids to have bigger arms, smaller testicles, ride a bike faster, punch a hole through a dinosaur's chest....You can't do something unnatural and then chastize someone for doing the same shit. Regardless of WHY. I smoke weed, I'm not going to shit on someone for smoking weed to win a pie eating contest just because I smoke weed to not kill people.

Mark Hammer
April 2nd, 2015, 3:00 PM
I hear you. But I've never done steroids.

Percussion
April 2nd, 2015, 3:31 PM
How do I know you weren't training to fight in MMA or boxing or a sport to gain an advantage? I don't give a fuck if you were using steroids to have bigger arms, smaller testicles, ride a bike faster, punch a hole through a dinosaur's chest....You can't do something unnatural and then chastize someone for doing the same shit. Regardless of WHY. I smoke weed, I'm not going to shit on someone for smoking weed to win a pie eating contest just because I smoke weed to not kill people.

Pretty legitimate difference between using steroids cosmetically versus using them as an illegal weapon.

Nash Diesel
April 2nd, 2015, 3:40 PM
Pretty legitimate difference between using steroids cosmetically versus using them as an illegal weapon.

Right but I didn't just cite the cosmetic usage of steroids I also mentioned "ride a bike faster, punch a hole through a dino, etc.". If it's competition you are using them for, you can't talk shit. If someone is using them for personal use like wanting to look swoll sure, but again, you're still fucking using steroids, you're still taking the cheap way as opposed to doing the fucking work yourself like a real human and not a big fucking pussy.

Seanny One Ball
April 3rd, 2015, 12:39 PM
So are we calling Mark a steroid user just for laughs then?

Percussion
June 18th, 2015, 8:35 PM
White also says Cyborg will be fighting at 145 "for the last time" on 7/9 and "hopefully we see [the Ronda fight] soon."

- Ariel Helwani (https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/611663606225235968)

Not time to get bonkers just yet, but nice to hear Uncle Dana's about ready to cash this thing in.

Nash Diesel
June 19th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Yeah it's about time to do this fight. Ronda has blown through the competition and Cyborg's like Clubber Lang knocking on the door for what many believe will be Ronda's toughest test to date.

Seanny One Ball
June 19th, 2015, 3:47 PM
Clubber Lang? :wtf:

I think you mean Ivan Drago what with all the needles.

Nash Diesel
June 19th, 2015, 4:14 PM
Clubber Lang? :wtf:

I think you mean Ivan Drago what with all the needles.

Naw Clubber Lang (everyone in that movie were on roids :)) In Rocky 3, Rocky was fighting all these mediocre fighters and Clubber Lang called him out on it which lead to the Mickey-Rocky scene where Mick tells Rock that he wasn't ready for Clubber Lang blah blah blah.

Mark Hammer
June 21st, 2015, 7:36 AM
Cyborg couldn't hold Ivan Drago's jockstrap or his needles.

Nash Diesel
July 10th, 2015, 9:44 AM
Invicta FC Results http://sports.yahoo.com/news/invicta-fc-13-results-052610120--mma.html

Cyborg destroyed her opponent in 45 seconds then once again called out RR. We know what needs to be done, hopefully it happens sooner than later. After the winner of Eye v. Tate there's nobody left. Pena? She's not ready for this level. The part that bothers me about Cyborg v. Rousey is that it doesn't even have to be for a belt. You could've done Anderson Silva v. Jones non-title and it would've been huge regardless. Let's do this at 140, each sacrifices a little, Ronda used to fight at 145 and was just as dominant.

Mark Hammer
July 10th, 2015, 12:00 PM
What needs to be done is Cyborg laying off the roids and heavy weights so she can meet the champ in her weight class. Why should Rousey have to accommodate to her whatsoever?

Also Cyborg and Miesha Tate have agreed to meet at 140 lbs. Not that it's official, just that they both appear down.

Nash Diesel
July 10th, 2015, 12:27 PM
What needs to be done is Cyborg laying off the roids and heavy weights so she can meet the champ in her weight class. Why should Rousey have to accommodate to her whatsoever?

Also Cyborg and Miesha Tate have agreed to meet at 140 lbs. Not that it's official, just that they both appear down.

Well if it's not for the title nobody is accomodating anybody. It's basically your standard super fight. I'll be honest, if back in the day Pride and UFC were able to do let's say Fedor v. Arlovski, when they were both champs, and it wasn't for either belt, that would've been fine. Even today, let's say they want to do Weidman v. Cormier, idc if a belt is on the line, it makes no difference to me but I respect that it's just how a lot of fights are done involving 2 champions, or a champion in general.

So yeah with that said, the only TITLE that is on the line is who is the best. Rousey can use the excuse that it should be for the title and Cyborg should drop to 135 but in reality, I just think that's a cover. I don't think she's truly scared of Cyborg and vice versa, they're just playing games to get the advantage in their favor. Catchweight between these 2 would be awesome but I feel like the only way Rousey will EVERRRR agree to this fight is if Cyborg can make 135 and it be for the title. Yet, she was willing to fight Gina Carano who hasn't fought in 5 years at 140.....So all the bullshit aside from both camps, when you factor in those last 2 tidbits I just mentioned, we really know who's holding this fight up and it's not the UFC, it's not Cyborg, it's Ronda. She calls out Ali, she calls out Gina, she even calls out Floyd lol, but come on R3 give us the fight we want and win, lose, or draw call it a day with a fat stack of cash for you and your lesbian entourage.

I love love love Tate but she would get obliterated by Cyborg. I think Cyborg could probably destroy 99% of the women in MMA. Rousey is the only one that I've warmed up to the idea of having a chance after her standup game evolved considerably.

Mark Hammer
July 10th, 2015, 12:42 PM
The champ leaving her weight class is accommodating someone.

And the only reason she was willing to fight Carano at 145 is because she has a tremendous amount of respect for her (and Gina isn't a known drug cheat).

I do agree about Cyborg/Tate. I think Meisha would get fucked up.

Percussion
July 10th, 2015, 12:52 PM
There's not going to be a women's 145 in the UFC anytime soon, so If Cyborg wants to stay in UFC beyond a Rousey fight then she'll need to cut the weight anyway and a catchweight becomes irrelevant.

A catchweight against Tate to ease her in and let fans get a glimpse of her mashing someone to get the hype train really rocking would be just about right though.

Spedizzo
July 10th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Why does Miesha Tate insist on getting into suicidal confrontations?

Nash Diesel
July 10th, 2015, 1:19 PM
The champ leaving her weight class is accommodating someone.

And the only reason she was willing to fight Carano at 145 is because she has a tremendous amount of respect for her (and Gina isn't a known drug cheat).

Where there was that time where Gina was supposed to fight a couple years but couldn't pass her medicals for some reason.

And again, if the 135 title is a non-factor, then she's not really accomodating anyone. I would pay to see a catchweight between Weidman and Robbie Lawler, I wouldn't feel like Lawler is accomodating Weidman by moving up instead of Weidman having to move down. Again this was never about Cyborg wanting to challenge for the title, it's more about the top 2 p4p female fighters who are within 10lbs of each other meeting halfway and showing who the best female fighter is. I could understand if we were talking about Jose Aldo v. Chris Weidman or Lawler v. Werdum.

And I get what you are saying as well Percussion, but Invicta isn't going anywhere and they seem to have a great working relationship with Zuffa/UFC so I wonder if they do this what will that do for Invicta having the top female fighter in the world on their roster and not on the UFC's roster. That could be an issue as well from the UFC's perspective.

Percussion
July 10th, 2015, 3:30 PM
And I get what you are saying as well Percussion, but Invicta isn't going anywhere and they seem to have a great working relationship with Zuffa/UFC so I wonder if they do this what will that do for Invicta having the top female fighter in the world on their roster and not on the UFC's roster. That could be an issue as well from the UFC's perspective.

You wonder if they do what exactly?

Eddie Brock
July 10th, 2015, 3:50 PM
This is just the GSP/Silva hype all over again. Still waiting for that.

Why does Miesha Tate insist on getting into suicidal confrontations?

Tate absorbs a lot of damage on the feet in some of her fights. I really don't like her chances against Cyborg.

Percussion
July 10th, 2015, 3:57 PM
This is just the GSP/Silva hype all over again. Still waiting for that.

Except GSP & Silva had a steady diet of guys to defend against in their respective weight classes, whilst the leap wasn't ever really worth it for Georges.

Rousey's just about got a clean cupboard with a career exclamation mark in a Cyborg fight, and if Cyborg wants the UFC it goes through 135/Ronda. And they're a tailor made matchup.

They're going to fight.

Nash Diesel
July 10th, 2015, 4:05 PM
You wonder if they do what exactly?

This=the fight between Cyborg and Rousey.

Percussion
July 10th, 2015, 4:11 PM
This=the fight between Cyborg and Rousey.

It will be with her on UFC's roster, not Invicta's.

Nash Diesel
July 10th, 2015, 4:14 PM
Except GSP & Silva had a steady diet of guys to defend against in their respective weight classes, whilst the leap wasn't ever really worth it for Georges.

Rousey's just about got a clean cupboard with a career exclamation mark in a Cyborg fight, and if Cyborg wants the UFC it goes through 135/Ronda. And they're a tailor made matchup.

They're going to fight.

I think there was something of worth for GSP to move up. He was clearly head and shoulders above his competition and the same with Anderson. Yes they had a steady flow of challengers but the really good ones were few and far between. I remember they even talked about doing it at a catchweight and both guys were champions so again, going back to the idea of this (the fight between Cyborg and Rousey) needing to be for the title, I don't think it does. But the downside as we've all pretty much agreed is that this fight will only happen at 135 and for the title. Invicta might get shown on Fight Pass but the UFC hasn't been about inter promotional fights for over a decade. They want it all under the UFC banner.

Word on the street is that this was supposedly the last time we'd see Cyborg at 145 and that she would be making an attempt at 135 in her next fight but who knows if that will still happen. If I were the UFC I'd make it a catchweight at 140 just like they were going to do for Gina. Gina was never going to make 135, she could barely make 145, so if she beat Rousey she wasn't going to get another fight unless she could make 135 and I don't think she's ever fought at that weight in MMA. Again, she missed weight a few times trying to drop to 145 so I'm thinking she probably can't unless she's slimmed down over the years.

Percussion
July 10th, 2015, 4:19 PM
There's more than this fight for Cyborg though. She wants to defeat Ronda and continue in the UFC, so that means 135. There's no point to her beating Rousey at a catchweight and then moving down in weight to stay in UFC.

Mark Hammer
July 10th, 2015, 5:00 PM
I think there was something of worth for GSP to move up. He was clearly head and shoulders above his competition and the same with Anderson. Yes they had a steady flow of challengers but the really good ones were few and far between. I remember they even talked about doing it at a catchweight and both guys were champions so again, going back to the idea of this (the fight between Cyborg and Rousey) needing to be for the title, I don't think it does. But the downside as we've all pretty much agreed is that this fight will only happen at 135 and for the title. Invicta might get shown on Fight Pass but the UFC hasn't been about inter promotional fights for over a decade. They want it all under the UFC banner.

Word on the street is that this was supposedly the last time we'd see Cyborg at 145 and that she would be making an attempt at 135 in her next fight but who knows if that will still happen. If I were the UFC I'd make it a catchweight at 140 just like they were going to do for Gina. Gina was never going to make 135, she could barely make 145, so if she beat Rousey she wasn't going to get another fight unless she could make 135 and I don't think she's ever fought at that weight in MMA. Again, she missed weight a few times trying to drop to 145 so I'm thinking she probably can't unless she's slimmed down over the years.

Since Silva was the one that wanted the fight so bad he should have done what he needed to to make GSP's weight. GSP said he would have gladly fought Silva, in his own weight division. He just didn't care for the idea of moving up in weight to fight a much bigger man who couldn't keep Georges' name out of his mouth. Can't say I blame him.

OD50
July 11th, 2015, 3:01 PM
For sure. It would probably be similar to Cyborg/Marloes Coenen.

Nash Diesel
July 13th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Since Silva was the one that wanted the fight so bad he should have done what he needed to to make GSP's weight. GSP said he would have gladly fought Silva, in his own weight division. He just didn't care for the idea of moving up in weight to fight a much bigger man who couldn't keep Georges' name out of his mouth. Can't say I blame him.

Anderson had said various times that he would meet him at like 175 or even try to get to 170 since he actually fought at that weight in the past. I think GSP was the only person who didn't want the fight. The UFC, the fans, Anderson, their peers, and a lot of people gave GSP as good of chance as any especially considering GSP's extremely solid grappling ability. I don't blame GSP because unlike Anderson, GSP had quite a few challengers that kept popping up while GSP would be out with injuries. Silva was running out of people, he didn't really have any money making fights at 185 and while I think he could beat Jones, I don't think he really wanted to bark up that tree lol.

Percussion
August 31st, 2015, 6:10 PM
Being full aware that photos can be deceiving what with lighting, angles, depth, etc ... you gotta be freakin kidding me ...

https://scontent-dfw1-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/s750x750/sh0.08/e35/11202980_1482132452097529_1228694018_n.jpg

Nash Diesel
August 31st, 2015, 7:00 PM
lol I know right? Its like Rocky v Thunderlips. The fact Tate said shed fight Cyborg is noble it really is but no...just no....

Mark Hammer
August 31st, 2015, 7:06 PM
Cyborg is gross.

Mark Hammer
August 31st, 2015, 7:06 PM
Trailer Park Miesha would still get it though.

Percussion
August 31st, 2015, 7:09 PM
I'd beat the shit outta Cyborg to get to Trailer Park Miesha.

And hey, is that you in the background bro'in out there, Hammer?

Nash Diesel
August 31st, 2015, 7:11 PM
Theres something about Cyborg that does it for me. Tate is the standard though, something about her just makes life worth living.

Hero!
August 31st, 2015, 7:30 PM
Any context around that picture? Interview, movie, etc?

Percussion
August 31st, 2015, 7:32 PM
Fight Valley (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4280822/)

kangus
August 31st, 2015, 8:04 PM
Stop updating the thread god dammit, I keep checking MMA sites expecting to see this news.

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 12:07 AM
Tell Cyborg to stop being a fucking manlady who makes movies on the side.

OD50
September 1st, 2015, 5:01 AM
lol I know right? Its like Rocky v Thunderlips. The fact Tate said shed fight Cyborg is noble it really is but no...just no....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_DLOiqUQAAQ2Fx.jpg:large

Cyborg is a lot bigger than most think, 5'8"/175 lbs (when not cutting). Dropping 40 lbs to fight RRR means a shit load of weight cutting and probably storing away some of them supplements.

OD50
September 1st, 2015, 5:02 AM
Yeah, I see the jeans.

Spedizzo
September 1st, 2015, 8:23 AM
Why didn't Taminman Snuka get into MMA? She looks like Chris Cyborg.

Matty C
September 1st, 2015, 12:35 PM
Cyborg is huge. Have any of you ever cut weight? It's become almost trivial in conversation now but it's hard and not always healthy. Given the importance if estrogen to women and it's relationship with fat cells cutting massive amounts of weight is pretty much dangerous for a woman.

I'm not saying it won't happen. Money has a way of motivating people, even past what's healthy. I'm just saying that a catch weight really makes more sense. I've read that Rouseys cut is hard as well. If they wait for Cyborg to properly slim down, if she even can, the opportunity could be gone. Just make it happen.

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 12:49 PM
Cyborg is huge. Have any of you ever cut weight? It's become almost trivial in conversation now but it's hard and not always healthy. Given the importance if estrogen to women and it's relationship with fat cells cutting massive amounts of weight is pretty much dangerous for a woman.

I'm not saying it won't happen. Money has a way of motivating people, even past what's healthy. I'm just saying that a catch weight really makes more sense. I've read that Rouseys cut is hard as well. If they wait for Cyborg to properly slim down, if she even can, the opportunity could be gone. Just make it happen.

So you're suggesting they bring Cyborg in for the opportunity to knock Rousey off her perch, and then what? Cyborg wouldn't compete there anymore because they won't have a women's 145 and Rousey goes back to 135 with a big fat stain on her. Sure if Ronda were to take Cyborg out it would be incredible for her, but that's still a real if.

Nash Diesel
September 1st, 2015, 1:06 PM
The real challenge IMHO would be seeing Rousey go back to 145 and defeat Cyborg.

I think what bothers me the most about this shit is hearing Rousey say she'd fight Ali's daughter, she'd fight Gina Carano, and not once did she say "but it has to be at 135". I know they offered Gina a title shot, that chick struggled to make 145 so unless she's thinned out I don't think that was ever a realistic fight. But again, you're willing to defend the title against someone who hasn't fought in 5 years and you're willing to fight Ali's daughter, but not Cyborg? Hmm.

The ultimate reality is that the #1 reason that we're going to hear is that Cyborg needs to make 135 due to the UFC wanting to bank on whoever gives Rousey her first loss and there isn't another weight class for Cyborg. She's obviously not dropping to Strawweight lol. And I can respect that.... For me as a fight fan I will be happy if it happens but I respect why it won't and I don't think it ever will under the terms the UFC are giving Cyborg.

People can say what they want but the other reality is that Ronda and Cyborg is the ultimate women's MMA fight to make. It reminds me of Anderson Silva v. GSP or Silva v. Jones and just like those fights I don't think we'll get the luxury of seeing it go down outside of maybe a video game. It's too bad, because Ronda's skillset has evolved pretty well and Cyborg is more badass than people remember from Strikeforce (imo). I think the fight would be tremendous, the story writes itself, tons of money to be made.

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 1:22 PM
Rousey respects Carano immensely. She detests steroid cheats. That one ain't hard.

The Laila Ali thing I never took seriously. A TMZ question on the street guy asked Laila and she said yes of course she'd beat Ronda. Ronda responded saying she knows where to find her. There was never a real inkling of an actual fight.

Nash Diesel
September 1st, 2015, 2:02 PM
I just find it funny that Rousey will say things like "I'd make an exception for Gina and fight HER at 140 but not Cyborg"...out of respect? Right. Chick hasn't fought in 5 years, of course it'd be a money fight, but 5 years out of the game when the game has evolved considerably for WMMA in that time is basically just another 30 second Ronda fight. At least with Cyborg, who again 5 years ago failed a piss test one time in her entire career and hasn't tested positive since....at least with her it's someone who's active, someone who people think has an actual chance unlike every other fighter Rousey has in her division to go up against.

Like I said, the real challenge would be Ronda going BACK to 145 and fighting Cyborg. But that's in a perfect world where there aren't 20 different reasons as to why RONDA shouldn't fight Cyborg. Lack of 145 weight class being the real bitch in this all. Although part of me wonders if Rousey would even agree to it if there was a 145 division as I feel she's riding that "she did PEDs 5 years ago" shit till the day she retires.

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 2:14 PM
What's funny about Ronda have a ton of respect for Carano? It's actually very rational. And her time away from the sport is irrespective to the discussion. It's not something Ronda has any control of.

Cyborg looks like a fucking klingon while being been proven to at the very least toy around with PED's. The idea that Rousey should feel compelled to cater to her is silly.

Nash Diesel
September 1st, 2015, 2:21 PM
How many people wanted to see Jon Jones drop to 185 to fight Anderson Silva? Or Silva drop to 170 to fight GSP? The common talk was Anderson move up to 205, GSP move up to 185, or do a catchweight. I'll admit that Cyborg has for sure been the more vocal of the two in wanting a fight and she's the one who has to adjust her way of life to put this fight together to accomodate the champ. I 100% get that. But on the flipside, I wish that there was a way to put the belts off to the side and just do it at 145 or even 140 if Cyborg can even make that weight and still perform like people expect her to. That's a big thing, will this even be the fight people were wanting to see?

Again, let's say Jones dropped to 185, all dehydrated, frail looking, probably half dead lol....Do you think he's going to be the same Jon Jones that people saw at 205? Doubtful. But you never know.

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 2:30 PM
- Jone Jones and Anderson Silva were fighting in real weight classes that existed. Cyborg in the UFC is not.

- In some non-real world hypothetical, yes, I'd love to see Rousey/Cyborg at their most healthy of weights, drug free, titles be damned, no tomorrow whatever scenario. But that's just what that is, non-real world, and it's pointless to talk about.

Nash Diesel
September 1st, 2015, 2:55 PM
There's nothing wrong with discussing hypotheticals, especially with a fight like this that will probably never happen. If you feel that way why even comment about it? Why feel the need to simply argue points that you don't care about? Just to puff out your chest?

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 2:58 PM
Ok, what would you like to discuss about it?

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 3:00 PM
After this though I have dibs on discussing Mike Tyson in his prime having trained MMA since birth fighting a lion. A lion that talks, ya know, so he could hype the fight of course.

Nash Diesel
September 1st, 2015, 3:58 PM
After this though I have dibs on discussing Mike Tyson in his prime having trained MMA since birth fighting a lion. A lion that talks, ya know, so he could hype the fight of course.

So acting juvenille is the route you want to go? Sherdog has plenty of room for the likes of you.

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 4:04 PM
No, I clearly want to discuss hypothetical fights that are probably never going to happen. No thoughts?

Nash Diesel
September 1st, 2015, 4:09 PM
No, I clearly want to discuss hypothetical fights that are probably never going to happen. No thoughts?

No, you clearly want to be a keyboard warrior.

I think there's a big difference between being a douchebag talking about Mike Tyson v. a talking Lion and people discussing Cyborg v. Rousey. If your agenda is simply to be argumentative, let's give you a big round of applause and when you step away from the computer remember how good it made you feel...

If you need the link to Sherturd let me know I can PM it to you. The last thing I personally want to have happen because it kills off an MMA poster around here but you're being juvenille.

Percussion
September 1st, 2015, 4:18 PM
Oh, so you want to really discuss Rousey/Cyborg now ...

OD50
September 2nd, 2015, 6:34 AM
This is a pretty great fight to muse about, it's not like people are talking about Fedor vs. Mighty Mouse or some retarded shit. Cyborg fights at 145, Rousey did as well before dropping down to 135 (to avoid Cyborg in Strikeforce some would say..). RRR even fought as high as 70 kilo/155 lbs in Judo.

BJ had no trouble moving up 15 pounds to fight WW king GSP, and despite getting rinsed he became a bigger draw/star for it at LW afterwards.

Percussion
September 2nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
No one has said Ronda couldn't move up to take the fight. Of course she could. But it's a shit deal for UFC to make the fight at aything above 135. Unless of course they create a new division for Cyborg, and there's been zero indication of that happening. This is one way or no way as right now and all parties know that.

Mark Hammer
September 2nd, 2015, 2:56 PM
I used to be adamantly against Rousey moving up to 145 for this fight but I've warmed to it. Rousey's currently the most well-known UFC fighter on it's roster, simply for starching librarians and soccer moms (and of course her Rasslemania appearance). Holly Holm is a wildcard and she might put up a fight but I think it's time for Rousey to face a real challenge and truly earn her merit.

Of course I still believe Cyborg might be able to make the weight if she'd stop juicing and lifting heavy weights. She does seem awfully big in frame however and in her fairness every fighter she's beaten has been considerably smaller than her.

Mark Hammer
September 2nd, 2015, 2:58 PM

Cyborg probably has to supplement estrogen at this stage.

OD50
September 2nd, 2015, 3:12 PM
Part of me wants Rousey to just say fuck it and step up to fight Cyborg at 145, step up and become legendary by slaying the beast. It would be the Hogan/Andre or Rocky/Drago of WMAA. :lol:

I have a feeling that Cyborg at 135 would be as much of a threat to RRR as non TRT Vitor was to Weidman.

Spedizzo
September 2nd, 2015, 3:13 PM
Markus

You just woke up from a bad hangover and also have food poisoning

Cyborg just had a full 3 month training camp and is ready to fight you

You have 5 minutes to get up and fight her

Can you take her???

Mark Hammer
September 2nd, 2015, 3:18 PM
If her pores are leaking synthetic testosterone then it'd be about 60/40 in my favor.

OD50
September 2nd, 2015, 4:00 PM
Big Nog was Pride HW champ when he took on 375 pound Bob Sapp (Nog weighed 230) in 2002 in a non-title fight. That fight is one of the things that made Nog legendary. Massive 145 pound weight difference.

Just saying. :wiggle:

Nash Diesel
September 3rd, 2015, 10:04 AM
Great points OD about legendary fighters who claimed legendary status by moving up. This aspect of the Cyborg-Rousey fight, where we're approaching the idea of Ronda moving back to 145 in a superfight, I don't think we've really touched on that here. I WISH Cyborg fought for a promotion that the UFC would see as an equal, just like they did with Pride when they sent Iceman and others over there back in the early Zuffa years. Invicta has a shit ton of talented women that the UFC pluck due to their relationship, like a development system almost. But they're just not at the level of name value that the UFC would see as a smart business move I ASSUME to cross-promote just like they never had the WEC 170 champion fight GSP until they liquidated that division into the UFC and Condit still didn't get an immediate title shot, he fucking lost his 1st fight in the UFC. So that's why we always wind up back at the whole "It has to be @ 135 because there isn't a 140, 145, etc. in the UFC".

Droid
September 4th, 2015, 2:32 AM
I see it as Rousey has the right to refuse Cyborg if she chooses because cyborg is not in her division and isnt willing to make the weight for the division. Just because some people have decided to fight people bigger than them or fight at catch weight doesn't mean Rousey has to or should have to. If it never happens then it is what it is. It seems to me like it is Cyborg who is the issue of it not happening though. Everytime they ask her about her moving down to 135 she always can't give a difinitive answer. It's almost always a stupid smile and an I don't know from her. A while back I read one of her ex trainers say she could make the weight but it's a mental thing. You get used to the way you do things to prepare for your next fight and then having to lose another 10 pounds just seems like the process is so much harder to the fighter. I think if Cyborg really wants to make it happen she will make the weight and stop playing stupid and stop trying to get the champ in the number 1 mma organization to cater to her.

McBain
September 4th, 2015, 6:29 AM
I think there's a big difference between being a douchebag talking about Mike Tyson v. a talking Lion and people discussing Cyborg v. Rousey.

:lol:

This line tickled me for some reason.

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2015, 10:55 AM
A possible fight between Cyborg and Cindy Dandois might be going down January 16th @ 140lbs. Cyborg is claiming nothing has been signed and the date has been changed 3 different times already for when she would fight next. I don't know how I feel about this one, Cindy is a decent fighter but very inactive. Looking at her record she's only fought 3 times in 4 years. I wasn't even sure who she was until 5-6 months ago I saw some sexy pics of her and Tate on Instagram and then found out she was an MMA fighter.

OD50
November 24th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Why not do the Ronda/Cyborg 140 catch weight now that the title isn't relevant anymore? I mean not "now", whenever Rondas face and ego heals up. Do RRR/Cyborg and Miesha Tate/Holly Holm as the main/co-main of the same show.

The crutch for not doing Ronda/Cyborg at CW was always the title factor, wasn't it?

Percussion
November 24th, 2015, 11:58 AM
So are we just going to have a Cyborg-weight now?

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2015, 12:10 PM
No, this is her gradually making the move to 135 to be a UFC fighter. See, they COULD do a super fight now with her and Ronda since the belt was really the last crutch they had to rest on. But the reality is that if Ronda loses then the UFC would want to keep banking on Cyborg, put her against Holm and if she's never cut to 135 successfully and she misses weight it'd be for nothing.....Especially if Cyborg would beat Holm in a non-title fight due to missing weight.

If Cyborg lost to Rousey at 140, oh well, no harm no foul and Cyborg goes back to Invicta and Rousey moves on. But they (UFC) can't take that chance knowing how uncertain Cyborg getting to 135 is.

OD50
November 24th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Nah, Franklin weight.

What I'm saying is that why should 5 pounds come in between a "dream fight" (5 pounds up isn't the same for Ronda as 5 pounds down is for Cyborg)? When Ronda was champ it was complicated because of the title of course, but now that she isn't it's not. Everyone from Dana to Ronda to her rabid fans have used the Cyborg doesn't deserve to fight the champ, the champ doesn't have to move up in weight excuse, now that's she's not champ what's stopping her from taking the fight if the only crutch was the title?

It's interesting that there has been plenty of CW fights in the past but when it comes to Cyborg/RRR it seems to be completely out of the question.

Percussion
November 24th, 2015, 12:19 PM
No, this is her gradually making the move to 135 to be a UFC fighter. See, they COULD do a super fight now with her and Ronda since the belt was really the last crutch they had to rest on. But the reality is that if Ronda loses then the UFC would want to keep banking on Cyborg, put her against Holm and if she's never cut to 135 successfully and she misses weight it'd be for nothing.....Especially if Cyborg would beat Holm in a non-title fight due to missing weight.

If Cyborg lost to Rousey at 140, oh well, no harm no foul and Cyborg goes back to Invicta and Rousey moves on. But they (UFC) can't take that chance knowing how uncertain Cyborg getting to 135 is.

That's really my point, if the goal is to have her there to stay for a few then she shouldn't have a bankable fight (Rousey, Tate, Holm) until she's shown she make a legitimate weight class. If it's just a one off then sure, they could match her up at 140 with whomever and cash in, but I don't think that's either what they want or what they should want.

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Nah, Franklin weight.

What I'm saying is that why should 5 pounds come in between a "dream fight" (5 pounds up isn't the same for Ronda as 5 pounds down is for Cyborg)? When Ronda was champ it was complicated because of the title of course, but now that she isn't it's not. Everyone from Dana to Ronda to her rabid fans have used the Cyborg doesn't deserve to fight the champ, the champ doesn't have to move up in weight excuse, now that's she's not champ what's stopping her from taking the fight if the only crutch was the title?

It's interesting that there has been plenty of CW fights in the past but when it comes to Cyborg/RRR it seems to be completely out of the question.

Trust me I'm a huge supporter of this fight but I've had to swallow the pill that while the title makes it easier, the fact that if Cyborg wins, where does the UFC go from there? They don't want her to go back to Invicta and they're not even close to being big enough to do a super fight between 135 champ Holm and Invicta 145 champ Cyborg. The UFC wants that fight under their banner and unlike other CW fights where Franklin win lose or draw could still go to 205 or 185, there's nowhere for Cyborg to go without making 135. I've heard that she has to make 140, then make 135-I'm assuming with Invicta-before they would put that Rousey title fight together.

And again, while the title was the last real crutch, now it comes down to business.

Percussion
November 24th, 2015, 12:21 PM

But 140 isn't "cruising" between actual weight classes for the ladies here. The argument would be more appropriate to two guys fighting at 275/80 or below 155 before the lighter weights arrived, and those things never happened either even though there have been fighters that could have been accommodated for.

OD50
November 24th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Cyborg coming down to 135 healthy and safely without being a shallow ghost of herself is the ideal scenario of course, my thinking is what if she can't? Never do one of the last reaming "dream fights" because of 5 lbs? Of course, I'll admit that the fight lost some of it's lustre to me after Ronda got flatlined. Chuck Liddell/Wand was pretty cool but it would have been a lot better before Wanderlei nearly died twice at the hands (and feet) of Hendo and CC.

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Cyborg coming down to 135 healthy and safely without being a shallow ghost of herself is the ideal scenario of course, my thinking is what if she can't? Never do one of the last reaming "dream fights" because of 5 lbs? Of course, I'll admit that the fight lost some of it's lustre to me after Ronda got flatlined. Chuck Liddell/Wand was pretty cool but it would have been a lot better before Wanderlei nearly died twice at the hands (and feet) of Hendo and CC.

Oh man trust me, I want to see Rousey v. Cyborg regardless if Rousey lost in her last fight or not.

Percussion
November 24th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Again, where do they go from a Cyborg victory in that dream fight? From there she'd have leverage to say "no, 135 is too much of a cut for me", and a huge win to back her up.

I'd love to see that fight too, but from UFC's point of view a one-off fight is not anywhere near the same business as trying to have Cyborg in tow for a few in a real weight class.

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Oh yeah right now I'm just saying in general I want to see the fight regardless of any reason holding it back. I've already stated why it's not going to happen unless Cyborg makes 135.

Percussion
November 24th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I was more asking OD in reference to just not delivering on a dream fight ...

You and I are oddly on a same page here ... ;)

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I was more asking OD in reference to just not delivering on a dream fight ...

You and I are oddly on a same page here ... ;)

Woops my bad.

OD50
November 24th, 2015, 1:14 PM
I'm hypothesizing in the scenario that Cyborg absolutely, positively cannot get down to 135, should the fight never happen because of it or should they do it at 140? Hopefully she can and we won't have to speculate about it.

Percussion
November 24th, 2015, 1:21 PM
This may sound harsh, but how would UFC know if she absolutely, positively can't get to 135?

OD50
November 24th, 2015, 1:27 PM
I'm sure some doctors/nutritionists could determine that. One nutritionist said on the MMA Hour that he definitely could get Cyborg down to 135 though, can't remember the name (NOT Dolce..).

Percussion
November 24th, 2015, 1:33 PM
Right, I'm sure you could get competing doctors/nutritionists on both sides really.

In the end it's just about the business for Dana & Co. and they surely don't want to give Cyborg the opportunity to hold any of the cards. And like it or not, they shouldn't.

Sucks for us fans, but so goes the fight game.

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2015, 1:51 PM
If the UFC were not as big as they are and this was 2004 I have no doubt this fight would go down. But it's no different than why Vince McMahon doesn't do co-promoting with New Japan and do a gigantic dream card ppv. The UFC doesn't want someone else getting the rub off UFC's name.

Nash Diesel
March 8th, 2016, 10:54 AM
So there's a strong rumor floating around the Cris Cyborg will be fighting at the upcoming UFC 198 event on May 14th in Brazil. It's apparently going to be a catchweight fight. This was something I read on another message board via a Brazillian blogsite that apparently has good cred with it's audience so I don't know if it's actually true or not. She's been talking on social media about wanting to be on this card and since she is technically a Zuffa fighter, it could possibly happen. As we all know, you have to take these rumors for what they are and Cyborg hasn't really shown to make a solid effort to cut below 145 so who knows.

OD50
March 9th, 2016, 5:39 AM
Why not do Holm/Cyborg at 140 that was talked about earlier? Now that Holly's lost the title there really shouldn't be any problems.Holly has said she wants that fight as well.

Who should be next for Tate though?

Ronda:
+ Huge history/rivalry with Tate
+ Defeated Tate twice by submission.
+ Long reigning champion
- Got destroyed in her last fight.
- Questions about motivation/shape.

Cat Zingano:
+ Defeated Tate and stopping her in the process.
- Inactive for 1+ year.
- Submitted by Ronda in 0:14
- Injuries/personal issues.

Holly Holm:
+ Former champ/rematch
+ Destroyed Ronda Rousey.
- Submitted by Tate.

Amanda Nunes:
+ 3-fight win streak
+ Fresh challenger.
- Stopped by Cat Zingano.

Nash Diesel
March 9th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Dana needs to see when Ronda is actually going to be ready. I like that both Holm and Tate are not wanting to play the waiting game. I wouldn't mind Nunes v. Tate. Something totally different, Nunes has never fought Rousey either so she's not one of the laundry list of names that were rinsed in seconds lol. I did find it odd that she was the slight underdog in her last fight because she was ranked a few spots higher for sure, but I guess it was back and forth on the odds between the 2 but that other chick had really nothing but a split decision over Kauffman....

If Cat was more active I would go with her. IMHO Tate was winning their fight and I thought the stoppage was a tad earlier but I get it, it just left a bad taste in my mouth knowing Tate could've lasted and wind up winning the fight. Cat is beastly though but she hasn't fought since Ronda handled her in 15 seconds. I'm just not a big fan of people getting title shots coming off a loss especially when that loss was in a title fight. It'd be one thing if Cat was a replacement for someone but she wouldn't be. It's why I hated Gus getting the shot against Cormier simply because the UFC gambled on Gus winning the belt to do Jones-Gus 2 and he still lost, close, but still lost.

So I'm leaning toward Nunes. Holm v. Cyborg at 140 would be the shit. 2 bad ass strikers going at it. I 100% get the UFC not wanting to give Cyborg a fight due to never making weight below 145 (to my knowledge) but I think she could make 140. She's a big woman, as long as I've known her she's never been small.

Mik
March 9th, 2016, 10:57 AM
It'll be Ronda. They'll wait for however Ronda needs to wait to make the fight. As much as Tate would like to fight someone else, Ronda is the big pay day and there is always a risk that Tate loses a rematch to Holly or Cat and then there's no way that she'll get to fight Ronda again. I reckon they'll wait, probably until UFC 200 if Rousey can get off the couch and make it back in time.

Nash Diesel
March 9th, 2016, 11:00 AM
That's the weird thing. I've heard in the past that Ronda wouldn't be ready to go until the Fall. Then I heard a few days ago that all of the sudden Ronda's movie commitments have been pushed back and now she's ready to get back in and train so she might be ready to go by July. 4 months is not a long time compared to 6-8 so if DW says R3 will fight at UFC 200 I don't think Tate will have an issue.

Eddie Brock
March 9th, 2016, 9:55 PM
So there's a strong rumor floating around the Cris Cyborg will be fighting at the upcoming UFC 198 event on May 14th in Brazil. It's apparently going to be a catchweight fight. This was something I read on another message board via a Brazillian blogsite that apparently has good cred with it's audience so I don't know if it's actually true or not. She's been talking on social media about wanting to be on this card and since she is technically a Zuffa fighter, it could possibly happen. As we all know, you have to take these rumors for what they are and Cyborg hasn't really shown to make a solid effort to cut below 145 so who knows.

I read that Cyborg was campaigning for that, but I'm not seeing anything about the UFC giving her a fight. Where are you seeing that? I'm not sure any opponents make sense right now. I guess Cat by default, but why would she want that fight? I don't know what anyone's path is at this point though. If It's going to be Ronda-Tate who fights who to decide who's next? Nunes can't be more than one more win away from a title shot, right? Holm vs. Nunes? Could be cool.

Nash Diesel
March 10th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I read that Cyborg was campaigning for that, but I'm not seeing anything about the UFC giving her a fight. Where are you seeing that? I'm not sure any opponents make sense right now. I guess Cat by default, but why would she want that fight? I don't know what anyone's path is at this point though. If It's going to be Ronda-Tate who fights who to decide who's next? Nunes can't be more than one more win away from a title shot, right? Holm vs. Nunes? Could be cool.

http://blogs.oglobo.globo.com/mma/post/cris-cyborg-lutara-no-ufc-198-em-curitiba.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=compartilhar

The UFC is looking for an opponent for brazilian fighter Cris Cyborg. The organization ruled by Dana White will announce soon that Cyborg will fight in Curitiba, on 14 May. The bout will be a catchweight between 61 kg (bantamweight) and 66 kg (featherweight).

Sources close to the fighter confirmed to this blog what the Brazilian press had been speculating in recent days. Cyborg, finally, will fight in the biggest MMA event in the world. She debuted in MMA in 2005 and has always been seen by most of the media as the most dangerous and feared female fighter on the planet.

Cyborg is featherweight champion Invicta, but this division does not exist in the UFC. Dana White always did everything to avoid Cyborg. It was a blatant way to protect Ronda Rousey, who was elected as the poster girl of women's MMA. No Cyborg around, no one would question Ronda.

With the Round defeat to Holly Holm last year, media pressure and the declaration of own Holm that would go up in weight to face Cyborg, the doors opened again to her.

Cyborg told this blog this week that could not cut for more than 65 kilos. She has fought for the UFC open new weight categories for women. For now, there are only the BW division and straws (52kg).

Good muay thai fighter and the most devastating knock out female artist in MMA, Cyborg is one more UFC 198 star, who also have Fabricio Werdum, Vitor Belfort, Ronaldo Jacare, Demian Maia and Rogerio Monotouro. The event will be armed at the Arena da Baixada football club stadium Atletico Paranaense.

CARD EVENT (so far):

Heavyweight: Fabricio Werdum x Stipe Miocic
Middleweight: Ronaldo Jacare x Vitor Belfort
Catchweight: Cris Cyborg x TBD
Weight-welterweight: Demian Maia x Matt Brown
Weight-heavyweight: Rogerio Nogueira x Patrick Cummins
Middleweight: Thiago Sledgehammer x Nate Marquardt
Lightweight: Evan Dunham x Léo Santos
Weight-welterweight: Bryan Barberena x Warlley Alves
Lightweight: Francisco Massaranduba x Yancy Medeiros
Weight-welterweight: Serginho Moraes x Kamaru Usman

Nash Diesel
March 28th, 2016, 3:04 PM
Checked Yahoo Jesus news and yep, Hell has frozen over as Cyborg Santos will be making her official UFC debut at UFC 198 against Leslie Smith at 140lbs. Some of you might remember Leslie as the woman who went all Cactus Jack, losing like half her ear against Jessica Eye lol. Good night Leslie.

Fanny Batter
March 28th, 2016, 3:54 PM
If she can get to 140 healthily, she should be able to get to 135 within 9 months or so. Holm, Tate, Rousey, Cyborg and Zingano with Nunes floating around is a very top heavy division. She kills Leslie Smith, a journeywoman who barely got by a Japanese midget last week.

Nash Diesel
March 28th, 2016, 4:02 PM
When I saw it was Leslie Smith and not a bigger name I thought, well, at least they'll keep Cyborg's streak alive of fighting less than desirable competition lol. The UFC more than likely though doesn't want to put anyone of worth against Cyborg because if Cyborg did beat them badly it'd for sure knock them down a couple pegs in the rankings. If Cyborg loses to Leslie Smith, then the anti-Cyborg fans can write her off completely without breaking a sweat. If Cyborg loses to Leslie Smith, weight cut or whatever excuse-doesn't matter, people will have a fucking field day with that.

Eddie Brock
March 28th, 2016, 4:10 PM
Hope they make it a four hour card with seven fights.

Werdum vs. Miocic
Belfort vs. Jacare
Silva vs. Hall
Shogun vs. Anderson
Maia vs. Brown
Cyborg vs. Smith
Lil Nog vs. Cummins

That's as sick as it gets.

Nash Diesel
March 28th, 2016, 4:23 PM
They won't but damn I'd hate to be the guy who has to figure out who's on the main card and who isn't. I think it's obvious the first 4 fights will for sure be on the ppv card or they could switch around Brown-Maia and do Shogun-Anderson as the FS1 headliner. Personally that's what I would do as the Maia-Brown fight has real title implications whereas the majority of the big names from Brazil on this card are not going to be sniffing a title shot anytime soon.