PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat X

Mr McGregor
March 25th, 2015, 7:55 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Mortal_Kombat_X_Cover_Art.png

April 14th 2015 for PlayStation 4, XBox One, PC & mobile (TBA for PS3 & XBox 360)

No thread for this? For me, the last game released on PS3 and 360 was the final decision-maker for purchasing, what is now, a last-gen console (bit late, I know) and this game will be one of my reasons for investing in PS4. I'm a big fan of this series and although there are a few other games I'll be interested in for PS4, it's this one I know I will probably spend hours on and get my money's worth.

Mortal Kombat X story is said to be based on the 25 year period following the last game with the roster including a mix of original and new fighters. In terms of gameplay, each fighter has three variations of fighting styles to be tactfully selected before fights, with fights themselves including more interactive environments, more detailed presentation of X-Ray moves and returning 'Brutalities'. There's a dynamic within the online game where you can represent factions (Special Forces, Lin Kuei etc etc) and earn weekly rewards specific to that faction based on it's overall success in the online community. Or something.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSi2LDkyKmI&feature=youtu.be

Roster:

Cassie Cage
D’Vorah
Ermac
Enron Black
Ferra/Torr
Goro (Pre-Order)
Jacqueline
Jax
Johnny Cage
Kano
Kenshi
Kitana
Kotal Kahn
Kung Jin
Kung Lao
Liu Kang
Mileena
Quan Chi
Raiden
Reptile
Scorpion
Shinnok
Sonya Blade
Sub-Zero
Takeda
Tanya (DLC)
Tremor (DLC)
Jason Voorhees (DLC)
Predator (DLC)

I was hoping to post more videos but a lot of the decent ones are age-restricted.

Any interest in this?

RuneEdge
March 25th, 2015, 8:02 AM
Preordered my copy a while back. Loved the last one.

Some of the character changes look cool. I like what they've done with Johnny Cage, Sonya and Cassie. Ermac looks badass in this. :yes:
Can't wait to see some gameplay videos of Jason and Predator.

Mr McGregor
March 25th, 2015, 9:23 AM
There's a bit of a different aesthetic to the characters, more noticeable in cutscenes. More of a cartoony feel compared to the previous game. I'm not sure I like it but definitely feel it's improved Johnny Cage and I really like Kitana's look in this.

Not sold on the new characters yet, the ones which aren't offspring such as D'Vorah and her insect issues, but I'm interested to see how they fit in to the whole story.

Bill Casey
March 25th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Not sold on the new characters yet, the ones which aren't offspring such as D'Vorah and her insect issues, but I'm interested to see how they fit in to the whole story.

Basically Kotal Kahn took over Shao Kahn's kingdom after Shao Kahn was killed...
D'Vorah and Ferra/Torr are Kotal Kahn's most loyal warriors...

It's a power grab in Outworld!

mr sabu
March 25th, 2015, 11:00 PM
it's all about one man

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3513708/mkx_erron_black.0.jpg

kenshi's kid ( takaeda ) also looks amazing

Mr McGregor
March 27th, 2015, 6:04 AM
Latest trailer. Feeling a bit queasy. Please excuse the Russian subtitles - of course it's not age-restricted there because only the gays harm their kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjlUk3W-AZ4

Rancid_Planet
March 27th, 2015, 6:11 AM
I can't wait for this. The last game really has my hopes high as I feel like it's pretty much the perfect MK game. And I've been a fan since the needlessly censored SNES version of the orignal Mortal Kombat.

mr sabu
March 27th, 2015, 7:02 AM
Theres a kpmbat cast on friday ( well friday for most ) at 3pm cst
On twitch tv.. hinted at showing of shinnock, liu and erron black

RuneEdge
March 27th, 2015, 8:15 AM
The quality of Fatalities this year have really stepped up, IMO.

Bert
March 27th, 2015, 4:09 PM
I pre-ordered for PC for about half price on nuvvem. Still deciding if I want that pack with Jason now or not.

Pete Cash
March 27th, 2015, 9:56 PM
It looks the perfect combo of dumb and fun.

mr sabu
March 27th, 2015, 10:04 PM
The quality of Fatalities this year have really stepped up, IMO.

they have... only 2 fatalitys have ever made me cringe, through out the francise

noobs make a wish and takaeda's one they showed off on stream dude rips there spine out threw there mouth via razor whip

Mr McGregor
March 28th, 2015, 9:45 AM
Trailer for Erron Black and IGN's gameplay videos for Shinnock and Liu Kang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNC3-D6b08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GWVODm5pz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtzkDbzGfaA

Everything's very brown I just realised.

RuneEdge
March 28th, 2015, 7:18 PM
they have... only 2 fatalitys have ever made me cringe, through out the francise

noobs make a wish and takaeda's one they showed off on stream dude rips there spine out threw there mouth via razor whip
Its hard to make you cringe considering the limits of how realistic the visuals are.

Having said that, some of them are still pretty cool. Like this one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7JXVLJJkw

Bill Casey
March 29th, 2015, 12:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9iKqMis3Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWqTym2cQU

mr sabu
March 29th, 2015, 1:14 AM
Its hard to make you cringe considering the limits of how realistic the visuals are.

Having said that, some of them are still pretty cool. Like this one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7JXVLJJkw

ok that was creatively incredible .. and yeah still getting this game don't care if they make me a lil queezey

Mark Hammer
April 1st, 2015, 5:03 PM
There's a bit of a different aesthetic to the characters, more noticeable in cutscenes. More of a cartoony feel compared to the previous game. I'm not sure I like it but definitely feel it's improved Johnny Cage and I really like Kitana's look in this.

I am more excited to play as Ferra/Torr, Erron Black, and Kotal Kahn than any other character old or new. Very, very good character designs imo.

Also Goro. I've pre-ordered this on PS4 (MarkHammer925) so I get him as my reward. I appreciate the mystique they've kept about him, not revealing any gamplay/fatalities as of yet.

Mr McGregor
April 1st, 2015, 7:41 PM
I am more excited to play as Ferra/Torr, Erron Black, and Kotal Kahn than any other character old or new. Very, very good character designs imo.

Also Goro. I've pre-ordered this on PS4 (MarkHammer925) so I get him as my reward. I appreciate the mystique they've kept about him, not revealing any gamplay/fatalities as of yet.

Definitely excited about Ferra/Torr and Erron Black. After seeing more gameplay footage, even D'Vorah and Cassie Cage are starting to grow on me. Even Shinnok, who I've never liked and is just a total bastard, he looks amazing in this.

It's interesting that you mention the mystique, I'm trying to avoid watching too many videos on the game because I want to be able to play it and discover the Fatalities as a disgusting surprise for the first time in person and under my command. But also I heard earlier that with the Brutalities, they wanted to keep the arcade type tradition where you have to discover these for yourself and there'll be no reference to the button commands or the gameplay requirements to execute these. I mean, I know they're going to be all over some Wiki guide within a few days, but I think that's kind of neat to make you work for it. A little. If you want.

mr sabu
April 3rd, 2015, 10:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5yYb1fpxnw&feature=youtu.be

wrong video

Rancid_Planet
April 3rd, 2015, 11:17 PM
I'm most excited for the story mode. The one from the previous game was simply outstanding. I want more of that please.

mr sabu
April 4th, 2015, 8:12 AM
Avoid all gaming websites... theres early copys being streamed on uplay so people will post spoilers

RuneEdge
April 4th, 2015, 9:04 AM
Goro looks awesome. Seems much faster compared to the version in the previous game.

Mark Hammer
April 4th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I realize it's a nod to the original MK but I thought the "half-man half-dragon" thing had been written out of cannon and instead he's part of an actual race.

Either way Goro looks awesome.

Newf
April 4th, 2015, 1:06 PM
Yes and no. He's Shokan, but Shokan are half-human half-dragon, sooo you're right on both counts.

http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Shokan

Apparently there are races within the Shokan, explaining why Kintaro is more tiger-looking and Sheeva and Goro are more dragon looking.

Pablo Diablo
April 6th, 2015, 2:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G51h3xi-2M

Now that's a trailer

VanillaJello
April 7th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Who the hell was the John Marston looking fella at 1:05? Can't wait!

Edit: Apparently he's called Erron Black

Mr McGregor
April 7th, 2015, 5:40 AM
There are some chaps in there I haven't heard about being in the game - 0:15 looks like Noob Saibot (possibly with zombie Jax or someone else?), Nightwolf at 0:59, a flamboyant looking Rain at 1:01, Baraka at 1:04. Cool trailer.

VanillaJello
April 7th, 2015, 9:38 AM
There are some chaps in there I haven't heard about being in the game - 0:15 looks like Noob Saibot (possibly with zombie Jax or someone else?), Nightwolf at 0:59, a flamboyant looking Rain at 1:01, Baraka at 1:04. Cool trailer.

That's absolutely Noob Saibot... and you're right about the rest as well... I wonder if they're just NPC's... or actual "hidden" characters.

Newf
April 7th, 2015, 11:24 AM
No, it's Zombie Smoke, calling himself Enenra. More of that scene is shown in the first 25 minutes of story mode that IGN released.

RuneEdge
April 7th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Was gonna say. The attire on that Noob/Zombie Smoke guy looks identical to Smoke's 2nd attire from MK9.

Mr McGregor
April 7th, 2015, 12:00 PM
No, it's Zombie Smoke, calling himself Enenra. More of that scene is shown in the first 25 minutes of story mode that IGN released.

Bugger. Other than gameplay, I'm trying not to see too many videos for all the spoils.

I wonder if they're just NPC's... or actual "hidden" characters.

All NPCs apparently. One of the Wikia pages lists a total 15 NPCs from earlier games, most of which I haven't seen footage of and no mention of Noob anywhere :\ Newf is accepting responsibility for this oversight.

the_man_diva
April 9th, 2015, 2:56 AM
I'm so absolutely stoked for this game, the perfect thing to keep me occupied until Arkham Knight finally drops. Seriously, I watched the first 25 minutes of the story, and I absolutely dug it. I love the fact that because they altered the timeline in the last game, all bets are off this go-around and it's not going to just be a rehash of MK 4, and that basically we're jumping two years, five years, and even 25 years into the future. I'm so happy that Cage, Sonya, and Kitana are back, because I love playing as them... but these new characters have really impressed me and I'm most excited for Erron Black (can't believe it took THIS long to get a cowboy character) and Cassie. Kotal Kahn's design looks so bad-ass.

VanillaJello
April 11th, 2015, 2:40 PM
Been watching Daredevil this weekend... got me thinking...

Who wins in a fight, Daredevil vs. Kenshi?

mr sabu
April 11th, 2015, 9:04 PM
telepath vs the man without fear

this one gose to kenshi

Mr McGregor
April 13th, 2015, 6:38 AM
A kredible review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7bbChQrWg

mr sabu
April 14th, 2015, 1:42 AM
pc version is a bit of a bust atm

RuneEdge
April 14th, 2015, 5:18 AM
pc version is a bit of a bust atm

What do you mean?

mr sabu
April 14th, 2015, 8:16 AM
steam released the game a tad to early, theres a 3 gig download base game and thats it

it has very few features and crashes when you try to do anything

theres a feature there doing called stream install where the game installs while your playing but the other parts of it arn't downloading due to someones error

so until steam is fixed all the pc can do is choose your faction and navigate the menu thats all ( no story, no online, no towers, no 2 player )

ps4 and xbox1 are fine

Psycho666Soldier
April 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM
So did anyone else lose sleep last night playing the game? I know I did. The story mode is fucking awesome. Far better than MK9's.

Pablo Diablo
April 14th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I just picked it up. Will be playing it when I get home. I loved the story in 9 so looking forward to it.

VHS
April 14th, 2015, 3:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXSpJopli0

Pablo Diablo
April 14th, 2015, 3:33 PM
If this were most other forums it would be a perfect time to mock the "pc master race"

VHS
April 14th, 2015, 4:00 PM
Yeah, IGN is the worst w/ that stuff too. It's hard not to look at comments. Every time you do, you want to kill someone.

RuneEdge
April 14th, 2015, 6:08 PM
Its one thing watching videos, but playing this in 1080p and at 60fps on your own TV...:eek:

This game looks lovely.

mr sabu
April 14th, 2015, 10:31 PM
pc version is now working fine..

othger then the odd bit of lagg it's fine ( despite being able to play gta 5 on high )

:) having a blast in test your luck

VanillaJello
April 15th, 2015, 6:04 AM
My story version is blocked out on PS4. Wonder if it's still downloading?

mr sabu
April 15th, 2015, 6:43 AM
do the tutorial, see if it unlocks after that

if not it should be downloading in the background ( theres 29 parts up to about 30 gigs )

Hero!
April 15th, 2015, 7:38 AM
Damn, this isn't out for another 6 weeks on the PS3. Lame.

VanillaJello
April 15th, 2015, 8:56 AM
do the tutorial, see if it unlocks after that

if not it should be downloading in the background ( theres 29 parts up to about 30 gigs )

Probably still downloading then. Only played about an hour last night. I did finish the tutorial, though. It was still unable to play it this morning. Hope when I get home it'll be downloaded off PSN.

Mark Hammer
April 15th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Damn, this isn't out for another 6 weeks on the PS3. Lame.

I'm surprised they're porting it at all on last gen systems.

Hero!
April 15th, 2015, 10:17 AM
They usually keep porting games to the last gen systems for a few years at least. Not everyone is jumping on a new system till they go on sale. I certainly won't be buying a PS4/XB1 for a couple more years.

The Rick
April 15th, 2015, 1:53 PM
My story version is blocked out on PS4. Wonder if it's still downloading?

Mine was locked until I did the tutorial, and one tower. Love the game, and it looks great. Tight responsive controls just so good for a fighter. We need to get the PS4 people together sometime soon. :yes:

VanillaJello
April 15th, 2015, 9:56 PM
Mine was locked until I did the tutorial, and one tower. Love the game, and it looks great. Tight responsive controls just so good for a fighter. We need to get the PS4 people together sometime soon. :yes:

The tower unlocked it for me too! Thanks!!

Definitely down for a PS4 meet up.

Pablo Diablo
April 15th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Yeah I also needed to do a tower to unlock it, seems strange.

the_man_diva
April 16th, 2015, 6:42 AM
Loving this game. Decided to get it for X1 even though I have 360 because the game just looked absolutely gorgeous in videos. It's addicting and you can definitely tell a drastic difference in each variation of characters. Finished story mode in one day and I definitely enjoyed it, although I kind of wish every character had their own chapter, it would've been nice to see certain people's side of the story as well... but I have to say I definitely enjoy Cassie Cage, she's my favorite (it helps that I'm a huge Sonya fan and really like Johnny Cage).

Story mode started right up for me without having to finish or do tutorial mode... I played a bit of a traditional tower, but hadn't finished it all the way. I will say this, I tried to stay away from videos and was pretty successful before the release of the game.... which made the fatalities and brutalities all the more disturbing to view for the first time (along with x-rays). Pretty cool shit. You can definitely tell which characters are showing up later on as future DLC outside of the announced Jason, Predator, Tonya, and Tremor. Some of the cameos from previous characters was definitely awesome and the after-credits scene in the story mode definitely sets up a wonderful story for the next game that I can't wait to see.

EDIT: Also, SUPER happy that this game also introduces its first gay fighter.

Excel
April 16th, 2015, 3:28 PM
Who's the gay fighter?

Hero!
April 16th, 2015, 3:38 PM
You are.

Excel
April 16th, 2015, 3:59 PM
Oh you

mr sabu
April 16th, 2015, 6:21 PM
kung jin

Spedizzo
April 16th, 2015, 6:24 PM
What is the general consensus on the game?

mr sabu
April 16th, 2015, 7:36 PM
i enjoyed it

VanillaJello
April 16th, 2015, 10:48 PM
http://kotaku.com/meet-mortal-kombats-first-gay-character-1698060987

Also, when he fights with Liu Kang:

Kung Jin: "You never accepted me!"

Liu Kang: "I am aware of your 'proclivities'."

Kung Jin: "Thanks for the reassurance!"

I think it's almost more interesting they had a character NOT being ok with him being gay.

And the game is fantastic... especially when you get in a "King Of The Hill" match and you're waiting your turn to fight and watching everyone else fight. Like a spectator sport, really.

Pablo Diablo
April 17th, 2015, 1:45 AM
A bit shorter of a story this time around. Now to figure out who I want to play as.

the_man_diva
April 17th, 2015, 1:52 AM
I was never big on Liu Kang, honestly. I like Kung Lao now but it took a lot of years for me to warm up to him. I think I started liking his character during Shaolin Monks (wish they'd do another game like that). In any event, I find it so interesting that Liu would be not okay with Kung Jin as I hadn't seen that intro scene.

I love, however, that Cassie Cage kind of says the shit the fans have been saying for years. When she faces Kung Lao in any fight, Kung Lao goes...

LAO: "Oh, the lesser Cage."
CASSIE: "Liu Kang Lite."
LAO: "A mouth seeking a fist."

LMFAO, I died.

Bill Casey
April 17th, 2015, 2:41 AM
Cassie: "Hey, Humpty Dumpty!"

Quan Chi: "Only a fool would speak to me thusly!"

Cassie: "Only a dork would say thusly!"

VanillaJello
May 8th, 2015, 8:21 AM
Anyone still playing?

Love the Jason character... but don't like playing as him.

Psycho666Soldier
May 8th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Jason has a lot of awesome nods to the movie series, awesome brutalities and fun fatalities, but his play style is a slower one that takes some getting used to.

mr sabu
May 9th, 2015, 2:56 AM
gonna take a steep learning crub to master jason.. he's slow but hurts like a fucking tank.

his move where he walks and sleeps at the end can be prevented by doing the x-ray or a hard knockdown so your awake before there up again