PDA

View Full Version : Next list Topic?

The Rick
January 31st, 2015, 2:19 PM
So what would people like to do for our next list reveal topic? I would like to do a best TableTop games. This would include RPGs, board games, card games, and the like.

I think most of the video game topics have been done, and haven't had enough of a rest to redo just yet. Not enough people on here have PS4/Xbox Ones to do a preliminary best of system. Maybe someone has a better idea though.

Dreyski
January 31st, 2015, 2:32 PM
Where x = a number chosen by the Rick:

Top x sports franchise games (Champ manager/Fifa/Pro Evo/Madden)
Top x 16-bit games (not sure of gen, include home computers as well)
Top x RPG

Kdestiny
January 31st, 2015, 2:38 PM
Sports Franchise list would be interesting

The_Mike
January 31st, 2015, 2:59 PM
Top x shooters? Top x strategy games? I suppose genre is a well we can plumb for a while.

Fro
January 31st, 2015, 3:44 PM
honestly I think these lists are cool but it's kinda been done to death in regard to video games. I would like to see you switch it up and do something in the sports forum

table top games could be fun tho

Kdestiny
January 31st, 2015, 3:56 PM
Yeah, maybe board games?

The Rick
January 31st, 2015, 4:02 PM
I'm trying to gage the interest. I think many have cooled on the video game lists. If an idea takes off then great.

The_Mike
January 31st, 2015, 4:07 PM
If we really want to branch out from video games, how about getting some meaty discussion in the OT forum? Top 10 US Presidents? Top 10 UK Prime Ministers?

darkhorse
January 31st, 2015, 5:21 PM
Favorite Female Video Game Characters

turdpower
January 31st, 2015, 5:27 PM
Sports games for me, you'd get alot of more interest of people who post in the footy forum too.

Psycho666Soldier
January 31st, 2015, 5:56 PM
I suggest a break from the next list. Let it brew for a bit and bring discussion to the video game forums in other ways. I think once everyone gets away from the lists, they'll be a bit more engaged in the other threads that are updated or created. Give it a couple months. Maybe even 4 or 5. Then once it's been a while, pick something like Stan Accy suggested or maybe best villains. Best villains could be sweet. Best story. Best of some common aspect of video games rather than console or genre. I think we did characters, but I think villains or something else along what I suggested could be a deeper list that has some unexpected results.

Even still, I vote taking a break for a bit.

Hero!
January 31st, 2015, 6:00 PM
Yeah, maybe board games?

How many board games do people realistically know, though? Rick knows loads because that's his thing, but I've barely played anything outside of the classic ones you play as a kid.

The Rick
January 31st, 2015, 6:09 PM
I suggest a break from the next list. Let it brew for a bit and bring discussion to the video game forums in other ways. I think once everyone gets away from the lists, they'll be a bit more engaged in the other threads that are updated or created. Give it a couple months. Maybe even 4 or 5. Then once it's been a while, pick something like Stan Accy suggested or maybe best villains. Best villains could be sweet. Best story. Best of some common aspect of video games rather than console or genre. I think we did characters, but I think villains or something else along what I suggested could be a deeper list that has some unexpected results.

Even still, I vote taking a break for a bit.

That is probably the best suggestion.

How many board games do people realistically know, though? Rick knows loads because that's his thing, but I've barely played anything outside of the classic ones you play as a kid.

You're probably right.

Hero!
January 31st, 2015, 6:38 PM
Maybe we combine table top, board, and card games? I've played a few different table tops and have probably played more TCGs than I care to admit.

Tabaschritar
January 31st, 2015, 7:11 PM
This has to be #1, right?
http://www.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic.phtml?picid=137

I've always wanted to play a tabletop game, but never could find a group that I liked. Played a shit load of Catan my first go-around in college, though.

The Rick
January 31st, 2015, 7:31 PM
Maybe we combine table top, board, and card games? I've played a few different table tops and have probably played more TCGs than I care to admit.

So kinda like my opening post?

darkhorse
January 31st, 2015, 7:50 PM
I'm in favor of a tabletops list.

Hero!
January 31st, 2015, 7:54 PM
So kinda like my opening post?

I completely misread it originally, but yes, like that :p

Atty
January 31st, 2015, 9:26 PM
Next list should be me listing off the definitive lists of our lists.

Or even The Top Rajah Video Game Lists List. We rank our favorite lists in order.

The Rick
March 1st, 2015, 1:10 PM
Here is a suggestion.

What game had the best music over all? Now we wouldn't be talking about the best single song, but I bet that would probably influence some people's choices.

Cubesphere did a big music thread a while back, and that would be a good place to start.
https://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?137732-Video-Game-Music&highlight=video+game+music

Atty
March 9th, 2015, 11:32 AM
That actually could be good for the cross section. Soundtracks would make games like Vice City show up and that would be crossed with the retro greatness of the Mario theme with the perfection of the Zelda music over the years.

The only tricky thing would be how to count votes for series. Like, if someone votes for Ocarina and another votes for Link to the Past, they'd need to be one vote as Ocarina just reused all of LttPs music.

The_Mike
March 9th, 2015, 2:01 PM
Best gaming series soundtrack then? Still not an ideal solution because a) Final Fantasy will just win and b) it kind of hobbles individual games that might have had stand-out soundtracks or songs (Portal for instance) or series where the soundtracks changed quality a lot, because the well known series will just be heavy hitters.

Another idea occurred to me - best main/opening theme in video gaming. I think that opens up the field a lot because it relies on a specific and defined track from a game and there's a decent overlap in series where the main theme tends to be the same so it's not so crucial you pick x specific title. It gives random games that had amazing main themes and not much else a look in too, like Lotus Turbo Challenge 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQSsq7HCNHw

DaSaintFan
March 9th, 2015, 4:06 PM
You could always turn it to brand-specific consoles? Best Atari2600/5200 games? Best Commodore games? and so on...

The Rick
March 9th, 2015, 5:17 PM
You could always turn it to brand-specific consoles? Best Atari2600/5200 games? Best Commodore games? and so on...

We've tackled most of those snes, nes, n64, psx, ps2, game boy, pc. If people were enthused for it, that's be great. It might be best to take a break, and hit this back up at the end of May when we're leading into E3.

Dreyski
March 9th, 2015, 5:18 PM
A lot of these have either already been done, or would appeal to only a few people (even for the VG forum). The Mike's idea about opening theme might have some legs though...if this wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_oW6AOXkdE

Dreyski
March 9th, 2015, 5:23 PM
Or worst game...which might work if you take a shortlist of names and do it like the POTTY (votes, muliple choices allowed, top x go through)