PDA

View Full Version : Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Fro
January 30th, 2015, 7:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12254197/bob-arum-says-fight-manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-jr-finalized-next-couple-days

It's looking like it's going to happen.

1. Who do you think will win?
2. Do you still care about this? I mean for fucks sake these guys are almost in their 40s.
3. Who still watches boxing, honestly?

Judas Iscariot
January 30th, 2015, 7:58 PM
I still don't think it's going to happen.

But I'll be interested if it does, though boxing is a joke these days.

Tyson
January 30th, 2015, 11:22 PM
It's four years too late, I don't care about this fight now.

Pipkin
January 30th, 2015, 11:28 PM
I'm over it, but my Mexican friends are pumped. They love boxing.

Rancid_Planet
February 1st, 2015, 6:33 PM
I'm excited by the fight happening but nothing like I would have been a few years back when they were of equal talent. Manny has only a puncher's chance now. As the more physical of the two fighters, he has started to age far worse than Floyd who will probably just dance around and pittypat Manny into a victory by decision just like he does everyone else.

Floyd was far too smart to fight Manny back when there was a good shot he could've lost.

Percussion
February 1st, 2015, 6:59 PM
I still think Floyd doesn't want that fight. It's not like he needs the money, and he's so close to a clean 50-0 now and eclipsing Marciano's unblemished record to roll the dice that Manny doesn't clip him.

Fro
February 1st, 2015, 7:08 PM
Yeah Floyd posted on social media that the fight is not made yet. Very possible that this will still never happen. I don't follow boxing but it seems like Floyd will just keep fighting lessor and lessor opponents to preserve his undefeated record and thus extremely high earnings and if he were to lose to Pacquiao it would fuck him so not worth it. Floyd will always play this off cool but the truth is he bitched out of fighting his biggest competitor his whole career. I figured since they're late 30s now that it would happen tho, but until Floyd stops pulling so much money on his own he has no incentive

Chris Scott
February 6th, 2015, 6:48 PM
Yeah think most people know its 4 years to late. I'd stil watch it though.

LOCONUT
February 6th, 2015, 7:00 PM
I'm obsessed with boxing. It has worked it's way up to be on par with NBA and MLB for me now.

I don't think this fight is going to happen but I'll happily pay the $150 for the PPV if it does.

The fight to watch this year is Lucas Matthysse vs. Ruslan Provodnikov. It's almost inked for the end of march at Stub Hub Center where I will be front and center with a hole in pocket so I can fiddle with my johnson during the fight.

Beefy
February 6th, 2015, 7:41 PM
Really? I get it four or five years ago but now surely Floyd wipes the floor with him? Pacquaio at the peak of his powers probably loses to Mayweather and at this stage he's way past the peak of his powers.

I'm obviously watching but I don't expect an even fight if it happens.

LOCONUT
February 6th, 2015, 7:53 PM
Floyds legs have looked a little suspect in his last few fights, but I agree that it would likely still be a 1 sided fight.

Beefy
February 6th, 2015, 8:06 PM
Who would you be cheering for?

LOCONUT
February 6th, 2015, 8:53 PM
Huge fan of both guys, but gotta root for the underdog in that one.

Chris Scott
February 7th, 2015, 6:08 AM
wrong thread.

Mik
February 7th, 2015, 6:24 AM
Obviously it should have happened years ago, but I have come to realise over the years that floyd was always a bad match up for Pac.

its interesting really, I think Kahn would beat floyd, pac would beat khan and floyd would beat pac.

Chris Scott
February 7th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Yep Pac's style in his prime was a no no for Floyd, no wonder he's held of the fight until Pac's got older.

Mik
February 7th, 2015, 1:02 PM
I'm saying the opposite. Floyd's game was always a nightmare for Pac. Floyd is a counter puncher and Pac always had trouble with counter punchers, which is why Marquez was always a nightmare for him.

LOCONUT
February 7th, 2015, 3:02 PM
Also Floyd is a fucking giant compared to Manny and nearly as fast. It would look a lot like Floyd/Marquez did had it happened 5 years ago. Now it is probably a better match up for Manny in that Floyd might be a tick less unhittable.

LOCONUT
February 7th, 2015, 3:05 PM
Obviously it should have happened years ago, but I have come to realise over the years that floyd was always a bad match up for Pac.

its interesting really, I think Kahn would beat floyd, pac would beat khan and floyd would beat pac.

About 6 years ago I had a dream that Khan beat Floyd. I woke up and told my wife about it and she had no idea what I why I was telling her this. So yeah, if that ever went down I would definitely put a few bucks on Khan.

LOCONUT
February 7th, 2015, 3:06 PM
In fairness that before Khan got all crazy chinny and looked unbeatable.

Mik
February 7th, 2015, 3:42 PM
I think that Khan might well be a little like Wlad, but in a more competitive division. He'll always be chinny, but there is no reason with his game why he should have to take clean shots on the chin. I said for years that he needed to find his Manny Steward.

LOCONUT
February 7th, 2015, 8:40 PM
It was a wet dream also I forgot to mention.

Chris Scott
February 8th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I'm saying the opposite. Floyd's game was always a nightmare for Pac. Floyd is a counter puncher and Pac always had trouble with counter punchers, which is why Marquez was always a nightmare for him.

Interesting point I see what you're saying. I just think Floyd has trouble with fast hands.

LOCONUT
February 20th, 2015, 7:46 PM
Omg

Defrost
February 20th, 2015, 7:59 PM
This fight is years too late. It is gonna be boring. I am gonna spend the $100 to watch it.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 20th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Not sure if there's been and higher grossing fight since Trinidad/De La Hoya but we can expect a similar fight here. That said I'll be watching lol.

Tyson
February 20th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Four years too late. Go on Manny, smash that ass clown Floyd...

UK Blue
February 21st, 2015, 5:43 AM
I would LOVE to see Floyd get sparked the fuck out. Get Pac back on the PEDS.

Judas Iscariot
February 21st, 2015, 5:48 AM
Not on topic at all, but I watched Rumble in the Jungle the other day for the first time, and how brilliant was that?

LOCONUT
February 21st, 2015, 6:03 AM
This fight is years too late. It is gonna be boring. I am gonna spend the $100 to watch it.

Four years too late. Go on Manny, smash that ass clown Floyd...

Perhaps a bit late but still the absolute biggest fight of this generation. If the fight is good it will go down as one of the all time greats. The hype machine for this is absolutely unrivaled. As annoying as the public presentation of the negotiations have been you really have to appreciate the payoff. This is going to shatter every financial boxing record in history and will likely be the two biggest single paydays in sports history. It isn't as if these guys are bums. They are both still absurdly elite even if they have each lost a step.

Chris Scott
February 21st, 2015, 6:05 AM
Is it defo confirmed? Thought Floyd came out and said nothing's been signed.

LOCONUT
February 21st, 2015, 6:06 AM
It's now official.

Chris Scott
February 21st, 2015, 6:08 AM
Sweet.

LOCONUT
February 21st, 2015, 6:10 AM
5 years ago Floyd runs away with it. I actually think it will be a better fight now. FLOYD UD12.

Chris Scott
February 21st, 2015, 6:14 AM
I've not seen Manny in his last couple of fight, has he slowed down?

Mik
February 21st, 2015, 9:01 AM
Oh yes.

Chris Scott
February 21st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Floyd for me then on points.

Fro
February 21st, 2015, 2:03 PM
So Mayweather is the pretty significant favorite. But I say Pacquiao will pull off the upset. And I'm basing this on my roughly zero knowledge of either fighter.

Clive Plasma
February 21st, 2015, 3:13 PM
Floyd beat the Big Show so I'm going with Floyd.

Spedizzo
February 21st, 2015, 4:33 PM
I meant to vote for Mayweather but voted for Pacquio in this poll.

:slap:

Brian M.
February 21st, 2015, 5:08 PM
I'll try to find a bar around here that's showing this, or try to go to a gathering at a friend's house. I know plenty of people will pay it but $100 is an absurd price to throw on one boxing match. That's the price I pay to watch big sporting events live, never mind on TV.

LOCONUT
February 21st, 2015, 6:22 PM
Maybe if you have any friends you guys could split it.

Hero!
February 21st, 2015, 8:32 PM
This will certainly be a Hooters/BWW night.

Chris Scott
February 23rd, 2015, 8:49 PM
$100 for a pay per view boxing event?

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 25th, 2015, 3:40 PM
But you can get Wrestlemania for $9.99.

Simmo Fortyone
February 25th, 2015, 4:55 PM
Head says Floyd but the heart says Pac

Fro
April 30th, 2015, 9:54 PM
Tyson on Floyd @ 1:00 is too good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA24sDTpMuA

The Law
April 30th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Turns out one of the Buffalo Wild Wings around here is showing it so I'll hit that up. Should be an awesome time. I'm taking the day off from trying to be a good person and cheering from Floyd. We grew up in the same town and I've been following him since he first broke in. I'm going with Floyd by decision.

Hero!
May 1st, 2015, 1:52 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/sports/for-the-mayweather-pacquiao-winner-a-bevy-of-belts.html?smid=tw-nytimes

Pretty useful article for those having trouble understanding what titles are on the line, the significance of boxing titles, etc. I'm not a boxing guy outside of the big fights, so this was pretty useful to me.

Atty
May 1st, 2015, 2:43 PM
Don't see how Manny has a chance. Floyd knocked out a giant.

Seanny One Ball
May 1st, 2015, 2:55 PM
I love Floyd Mayweather but Mike Tyson rinsed him there.

Floyd clearly is one of the greatest of all time though, fuck Colin Hart.

The Law
May 1st, 2015, 3:26 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/sports/for-the-mayweather-pacquiao-winner-a-bevy-of-belts.html?smid=tw-nytimes

Pretty useful article for those having trouble understanding what titles are on the line, the significance of boxing titles, etc. I'm not a boxing guy outside of the big fights, so this was pretty useful to me.

The title situation in boxing is such a hilarious clusterfuck. Four champions in each weight class. None of the titles can mean anything in that situation.

It doesn't matter for this fight, because here they're fighting for legacies. But it's a big problem that if someone asks "who's the champion?" there's no logical answer to the question.

111 titles in 17 weight classes. And we thought the WWF during the invasion had too many titles.

"The Ring Magazine might well also give out a title belt." They might, or might not. The fuck?

Atty
May 1st, 2015, 3:38 PM

Floyd clearly is one of the greatest of all time though, fuck Colin Hart.

Vince needs to get on Floyd/Tyson for WrestleMania 32. 100,000 seats, yo.

Tyson
May 1st, 2015, 11:28 PM

Love that.

Team Pacquiao for the win, I want to see Floyd get knocked the fuck out.

McBain
May 2nd, 2015, 3:03 AM
Fairly clear that Mayweather is the big favourite, but as usual I will be cheering on the underdog. It just so happens that the bar I'll be watching it in will be full of Filipinos as well, so really hoping for a big result.

Hero!
May 2nd, 2015, 7:43 AM
Does anyone really believe that this isn't rigged?

mr sabu
May 2nd, 2015, 7:53 AM
rigged or not

one of them is going to walk out having a bigger ego then coming in

Hero!
May 2nd, 2015, 8:27 AM
Pacquiao is definitely doing the J-O-B tonight. No way will anyone in charge of the boxing commission let Floyd eat a loss. There's too much money to lose if Floyd jobs out.

Donald
May 2nd, 2015, 9:13 AM
think all American sports are rigged, at least in big money-making games/matches.

Matthew
May 2nd, 2015, 9:59 AM
well that just goes to show your level of intelligence

(very low)

The Law
May 2nd, 2015, 10:08 AM
I was thinking about how I would book this and I think a controversial decision for Mayweather would be best for business. Keep the streak alive, give Pacquaio a claim to victory, force a rematch. A draw is too sketchy and doesn't satisfy anyone.

Atty
May 2nd, 2015, 11:13 AM
Floyd will not lose a decision unless he is absolutely pulverized, Rocky I style. Even then, I could see the judges ignoring Apollo Creed killing him for the entire middle rounds and being sneaky little bees.

Really looking forward to this. Only boxing match I can really say that for anymore. UFC has so completely supplanted and destroyed boxing that I can't really see myself caring about anything in the sport after this (that isn't a Rocky movie or a game made by Nintendo.) Really a shame as I used to love the sport. Watched the Rocky films dozens of times growing, have seen most everything Tyson ever did, loved Lennox Lewis, Hollifield and used to watch classic boxing. 15ish years later, this is the only fight I can imagine caring about and I'm looking forward to it in the same way I did for Dark Knight Rises, where I know it's going to be sort of over after it.

If Floyd wins, I see nowhere for him to really go. If he properly loses, it's the perfect ending. Kind of see this as the last fight, unless CM Punk decides to take up boxing.

Judas Iscariot
May 2nd, 2015, 5:07 PM
First fight I'm watching live since Tyson/Holyfield and the ear incident.

Hope Pacquaio beats the shit out of him even if he loses.

virms
May 2nd, 2015, 8:38 PM
What time does this start? Has it started already? :panic:

JP
May 2nd, 2015, 8:43 PM
I have not been this excited for a fight since Lewis vs. Tyson.

SeanMooneysClassyJackets
May 2nd, 2015, 8:57 PM
Too little too late for me. Always that bad taste that Mayweather has ducked this for five years until he's seen Pacquiao on the slide. For that alone I hope he gets beaten, as champions should be built of sterner stuff. Can't see it happening though.

Golovkin has kept me plenty entertained over the past year anyway. This is one you stay up for for the sake of the event.

Fro
May 2nd, 2015, 8:59 PM
What time does this start? Has it started already? :panic:

I believe the main event is expected to start around 11 or 11:30 eastern time so another 2 and a half hours but the undercard is probably already started. I'm going over to a friend's to watch. I'll have to think back but it might honestly be the first boxing match I'll watch live and in entirety. At very least the first in about 10 years.

SeanMooneysClassyJackets
May 2nd, 2015, 9:01 PM
Undercard is on now. Main event should start in around two hours from now.

mr sabu
May 2nd, 2015, 9:07 PM
nevr watched anyhting box related before so gonna give this a shot

virms
May 2nd, 2015, 9:08 PM
Oh shit I got plenty of time. Sweet. Another margarita for me.

SeanMooneysClassyJackets
May 2nd, 2015, 9:11 PM
nevr watched anyhting box related before so gonna give this a shot

In the meantime, for the sake of a little colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNWVUyT1lE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imwGeX1SRFk

Chris
May 2nd, 2015, 10:17 PM
Just reading the BBC Sport live updates, and it says that people in the Phillipines could experience a power cut because of the surge in TV useage for the fight. They're trying to get people to turn off their fridges and washing machines during the show.

Never been a fan of boxing, but I love an underdog so I really hope Manny gets the win.

The Rosk
May 2nd, 2015, 10:57 PM
Anyone got a link to listen to the fight? I'm in a house in America in the middle of fucking nowhere which hates boxing. Radio 5 doesn't work here...

Lousaka Romon Polite
May 2nd, 2015, 11:23 PM
link please

virms
May 2nd, 2015, 11:50 PM
why is the burger king with mayweather?

Defrost
May 2nd, 2015, 11:55 PM
why is the burger king with mayweather?

Sponsor I'd assume

Does Buffer seem ill to anyone else?

virms
May 2nd, 2015, 11:56 PM
Yeah his voice sounds rough.

Beefy
May 3rd, 2015, 12:10 AM
Mayweather is ridiculously good.

Beefy
May 3rd, 2015, 12:14 AM
That's better... Come on Manny!!

Pipkin
May 3rd, 2015, 12:27 AM
This has been better than I expected it to be.

virms
May 3rd, 2015, 12:34 AM
I think Pac is gonna have to get a KO to win this. Or really fucking turn it up.

Mik
May 3rd, 2015, 12:43 AM
Not sure why I bothered getting up to watch the most predictable fight you could imagine. It's 5 years too late. Think this is probably me just about done with boxing. So few fights or fighters left worth watching anymore.

Atty
May 3rd, 2015, 12:54 AM
Floyd has the formula down. He's so quick and accurate that he just avoids and wins decisions. At times it's like he's almost not trying and just walking through the motions.

Mik
May 3rd, 2015, 12:56 AM
I think that khan is the only fight worth seeing for Mayweather. Fast, high volume, powerful, the same size, good reach and not on the decline. Obviously floyd at his peak would pick khan off easily, but he isn't at his prime anymore.

Atty
May 3rd, 2015, 12:58 AM
Manny post fight is a bit depressing to listen to. He didn't realize he was being toyed with. Floyd worked him right into his style.

virms
May 3rd, 2015, 12:59 AM
And its fucking obvious Floyd will go for 50-0. He is saying no now because his contract is up after the next fight. The 50-0 is gonna be Mayweather's true big money fight. For him.

Atty
May 3rd, 2015, 1:01 AM
With no contract, he can milk so much money to go out 50-0.

Wait... They are counting Big Show?! Already 49-0

virms
May 3rd, 2015, 1:02 AM
Tyson vs. Mayweather

in a cage

surrounded by tigers

The Rosk
May 3rd, 2015, 1:02 AM
This is why I've never got into boxing. It's so fucking dull and predictable. Would love Khan to give him a go because there were openings there that haven't been there before.

virms
May 3rd, 2015, 1:03 AM
With no contract, he can milk so much money to go out 50-0.

It's like the little fucker won the lottery but gets to say how much he won. Ridiculous.

Atty
May 3rd, 2015, 1:04 AM
I could go for Star Trek Khan vs. Floyd.

Not new Star Trek Khan, old Star Trek Khan.

I'd suggest Floyd fight the Gorn, but we just saw that.

virms
May 3rd, 2015, 1:05 AM
Floyd vs Lesnar.

Atty
May 3rd, 2015, 1:06 AM
If Vince could talk him into it and market it as him going for 50-0 at Mania...

Against the man who murders streaks...

Mik
May 3rd, 2015, 1:10 AM
This fight was Lewis vs Tyson 2.

virms
May 3rd, 2015, 1:11 AM
This is why I've never got into boxing. It's so fucking dull and predictable. Would love Khan to give him a go because there were openings there that haven't been there before.

IF anything Kahn will be fight 50.

LOCONUT
May 3rd, 2015, 1:13 AM
Lads don't forget that 5 or 6 years ago I had a dream that Khan defeated Mayweather. If the fight happens lay your cash on King Khan.

Pipkin
May 3rd, 2015, 1:13 AM
I'm a layman when it comes to boxing, and I was super into the fight for a few rounds. But when Mayweather really took control it became incredibly boring to watch. For somebody that really watches and understands the sport, it's probably different (like how I love a defensive struggle in basketball or the NFL), but for me, the second half of the fight bordered on unwatchable.

LOCONUT
May 3rd, 2015, 1:19 AM
I'm a layman when it comes to boxing, and I was super into the fight for a few rounds. But when Mayweather really took control it became incredibly boring to watch. For somebody that really watches and understands the sport, it's probably different (like how I love a defensive struggle in basketball or the NFL), but for me, the second half of the fight bordered on unwatchable.

As a massive fan I have a pretty deep appreciation for the way Mayweather works but for this fight with all the hype there was really no way not to be disappointed by seeing a typical Floyd performance.

MikeHunt
May 3rd, 2015, 3:36 AM
Not sure why I bothered getting up to watch the most predictable fight you could imagine. It's 5 years too late. Think this is probably me just about done with boxing. So few fights or fighters left worth watching anymore.

this. all of this.

MMH
May 3rd, 2015, 6:32 AM
After watching last night I think I just dont get boxing.

Mayweather did fuck all yet the Sky commentators were wanking over him being brilliant. Yeah he negated Pacquiao which is all well and good but how about doing something himself? He barely threw or landed a punch himself. Brilliant! Masterclass! Fuck off!

Bad Collin
May 3rd, 2015, 6:52 AM
It's his defensive skill and reactions, some of his movement was breathtaking. You watch Mayweather fight and it seems that he's unhittable. It was never going to be a slugfest but there are plenty of them about if you want them.

Mik
May 3rd, 2015, 6:56 AM
It was a masterclass in movement, defence and accuracy. Mayweather is a master technician. The way he judges space and counter punches is exceptional. However he is a points fighter and it's boring. Manny would've been an excellent opponent at his peak 5 years ago when he was smashing Hatton, Margarito, Cotto, De La Hoyo, Mosley et al. He was strong, explosive and had energy to burn, he threw constantly and was always throwing fast combinations, he never stopped working. But even then he was outreached and looked tiny in comparison to the people he was fighting. These days he is more of a politician than a boxer and while it's impressive how floyd managed to negate him, Marquez did it better...manny has always been susceptible to counter punchers. It was a big payday for manny and an easy fight to add to his legacy for floyd.

McBain
May 3rd, 2015, 7:02 AM
I didn't bother to get up for this in the end. As people say, predictable.

Hero!
May 3rd, 2015, 9:49 AM
:lol: protective booking to the max. Easy set up for fight 2.

MMH
May 3rd, 2015, 10:25 AM
It's his defensive skill and reactions, some of his movement was breathtaking. You watch Mayweather fight and it seems that he's unhittable. It was never going to be a slugfest but there are plenty of them about if you want them.

I get that, he did get hit though, and he got hit more than Pacquiao so I dont understand why Mayweather was such an obvious winner.

Hero!
May 3rd, 2015, 10:30 AM
Because the bookers like him better.

Chris Scott
May 3rd, 2015, 11:05 AM
After watching last night I think I just dont get boxing.

Mayweather did fuck all yet the Sky commentators were wanking over him being brilliant. Yeah he negated Pacquiao which is all well and good but how about doing something himself? He barely threw or landed a punch himself. Brilliant! Masterclass! Fuck off!

Yeah was so annoying how the sky commentators were sucking his balls all fight. I also agree about whst say about Mayweather but can see why people like his style and how he goes about it. Me personally I don't like it.

Kimura Kid
May 3rd, 2015, 12:15 PM
Mayweather's not out there to entertain you or make the fight exciting for you. His job is to win boxing fights and take the least amount of damage physically possible. That's the sweet science.

Everyone complaining about Floyd's style is acting as if Mayweather just turned and ran. Every exit from the ropes had a left hook. Every step forward Manny took was met with a heavy jab. Every time Manny tried to exit the pocket, Floyd stepped forward and tried to hit the body.

Watching Floyd make one of the best active boxers miss 81% of his punches was amazing! If you can't appreciate that than your watching the wrong sport.

Pablo Diablo
May 3rd, 2015, 12:31 PM
The biggest problem is that the fight was so hyped up that there were so many people who had no idea how Mayweather fights. So in their head they have visions of Rocky or that youtube video they saw of some crazy KOs and Mayweather's style (especially against top quality fighters) is nothing like that. Even myself who expected this style still was hoping that it'd be something different but it was a smart fight from Mayweather again. Unfortunately it didn't help boxing as a whole because they were unable to gain any new fans.

Fro
May 3rd, 2015, 12:33 PM
Who the hell was that guy who interviewed Pacquiao after the fight in the ring? Dude was being such a douchebag to Manny with all his questions. He was basically like "lol you actually thought you won that fight?! Floyd was kicking your ass shouldn't you have done more to try to win??" It was brutal all his questions were so douchey I wanted Manny to punch that guy in the face so badly.

Chris Scott
May 3rd, 2015, 12:38 PM
Not debating Mayweather is out to entertain us and I know his style, Pacquiao tried to solve the puzzle, and failed like everyone else.

I like old style heart on sleeve boxing, people who gave the sport it's true dignity by doing just that and also risking everything for glory I both victory or defeat.

Fro
May 3rd, 2015, 12:54 PM
Some random thoughts from a non boxing fan:

- Having the Burger King guy in Floyd's entourage walking up to the ring made me laugh but I also wondered how much Floyd made on that. I'm guessing it was in the tens of millions of dollars. In general, the amount of advertising they crammed in was a little much considering it was a PPV event (movie trailers, Gatorade, Floyd constantly mentioning his sponsors in his interviews, etc). Jimmy Kimmel also made me laugh in Manny's entourage.
- Why the hell did they sing the Mexican national anthem? That was weird. I guess it was because Mexico seemed to be the main sponsor of the fight? Seemed like all the ads on the ring were Mexican. Or do they always sing the Mexican national anthem at fights in Vegas?
- I thought the fight itself was fine. I came into it having not seen much of these guys but aware that Floyd is a defensive fighter and expecting a boring bout that went to a decision and it actually was a little more exciting than I anticipated. I thought Floyd won and was the better fighter (his length and size advantage was apparent) but I'm not sure if I was just buying into what the announcers were saying and the unofficial judge cards they kept showing. Most of the time the punches and counter punches are so fast that I can't tell if they landed or not until they show the slow motion replay. I think the whole fight should be shown in slow motion tbh. I don't know how the judges determine if the punches land unless they are watching replays. I mean some are obvious to catch live but many are hard to tell if they were blocked or not, even on a high definition big screen television.
- My eyes kept going to Tom Brady in the background because his face was perfectly inbetween the top two ropes for most of the fight lol.
- Manny is now saying he fought through a shoulder injury which sounds like sour grapes and leveraging for a rematch to me. My guess is Manny will clamor for a rematch but Floyd won't agree to one and Floyd will go out 50-0 by beating a couple scrubs like you guys have said.

Seanny One Ball
May 3rd, 2015, 1:34 PM

I had it on the radio and less than halfway through I was into my copy of this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjU5WDUxNQ==/z/Yp0AAOSwpDdU628K/$_86.JPG

It was more entertaining and despite being a list of things that had already happened...it was less predictable.

The Law
May 3rd, 2015, 2:07 PM
Shit booking for Floyd to squash Manny like that. Should have left it open for rematch.

I'm not a huge boxing guy, but I thought was a perfectly entertaining fight. Maybe it was just the atmosphere, maybe because we were all sitting around slamming beers and yelling at the TV. There's just nothing in sports that beats a big fight. Kind of sad that this feels like it's it for boxing. No idea how long it will be until there's another must see fight.

Seems clear that Floyd is doing two more fights to get to 50-0 and then hanging it up. Beat Marciano, two more big paydays. Shame he didn't fight in an era with better competition.

Seanny One Ball
May 3rd, 2015, 3:36 PM
I'm so sick of that "better competition" attitude.

In 50 years people will be saying the same damned thing about their undefeated golden boy not being near the level of the likes of Mayweather.
Romanticise the past and you will still never romanticise it as much as Bert Sugar or Nat Fleischer.

Beer-Belly
May 3rd, 2015, 3:36 PM
I'll stick with fake fighting and UFC.

Chris Scott
May 3rd, 2015, 4:13 PM
Shit booking for Floyd to squash Manny like that. Should have left it open for rematch.

I'm not a huge boxing guy, but I thought was a perfectly entertaining fight. Maybe it was just the atmosphere, maybe because we were all sitting around slamming beers and yelling at the TV. There's just nothing in sports that beats a big fight. Kind of sad that this feels like it's it for boxing. No idea how long it will be until there's another must see fight.

Nah honestly watch it 2nd time on your own like I did before and you soon know how boring the fight is.

JT4104
May 3rd, 2015, 4:51 PM
I laugh when anyone thinks Floyd is going to get into a damn firefight....that doesn't get you anywhere. While guys like Maidana/Mattyhsee are killing each other for 1.2 million Floyd is making a 100mil to fight in a BOXING match. It's a sport of hit and not be hit and Floyd is the master.

I dont understand the heart on the sleeve guys as those guys can barely talk or put together a coherent sentence. I love guys like Floyd, Hopkins and guys like that. I dont need to see two guys stand in front of each other and just throw bombs with reckless abadndon, that isn't boxing.

Chris Scott
May 3rd, 2015, 5:32 PM
Like I've said each to their own, but it's funny how good Mayweather and Hopkins are there never going to be the heroes of boxing or get the respect of boxing fans.

virms
May 3rd, 2015, 7:36 PM
Fuck sake. Ring side seats were 40k and up. :lol:

Here I was pissed a ringside seat for a wwe house show was 112. :lol: basically a new car vs a good bottle of whiskey.

Atty
May 3rd, 2015, 9:11 PM
I'll stick with fake fighting and UFC.

Boxing and UFC?

Fanny Batter
May 4th, 2015, 6:41 AM
I think what will have boxing struggling in the next few years is that the money and power involved in boxing for the top flight boxers is so astronomical is that guys like Manny, Hopkins, Floyd, Calzaghe etc. haven't needed to go out there and do the honours for a young lad, look up at the lights and a star is born. Tyson had Holmes presumably paying off a divorce and Spinks in semi-retirement mode to flatten, De La Hoya had the overweight, aged version of Julio Cesar Chavez to beat up a couple of times. Manny and Floyd themselves had De La Hoya and big regional stars like Hatton, Barrera, Cotto etc. to build a legacy on. Who are the big stars nowadays? Froch is a big name in the UK but has no interest in doing the business for a DeGale or Ward now that his career has peaked and his skills start to diminish. Juan Manuel Marquez seems to be dragging his heels towards retirement instead of getting beat up by the younger, bigger Danny Garcia. Hopkins was happy to Hopkins his way to a decision loss against Kovalev. The days of seeing the ghost of Roberto Duran being given a pair of gloves and told to take his beating by Vinny Paz or William Joppy are long gone. Not that's a bad thing, Alzheimer's after all exists, but it feels that vital component of boxing's progression has slowly died.

Hero!
May 4th, 2015, 8:59 AM
Anybody else see the report that Floyd's gonna vacate his belts to give younger guys a chance at winning them? Interesting move. With retirement looming, it was bound to happen sooner or later, but I wish someone could have beaten him for the titles.

The Electrifying One
May 4th, 2015, 10:07 AM
They played the mexican national anthem cos it's 5th May weekend and mexican Americans celebrate that as much as/more than Mexicans in Mexico.

Do you get points in boxing for successful evasion or blocking? I thought it was just for hits. The way the media and people here are talking it's like Floyd got points for blocking.

Spedizzo
May 4th, 2015, 10:17 AM
The boxing 'purists' piss me off how much they rave about Mayweather's "masterful performance."

He can keep his masterful performances, I am done watching boxing.

MUCH rather watch any UFC event over a top billed boxing event.

After the 6th round passed, I was painfully bored.

Seanny One Ball
May 4th, 2015, 10:57 AM
That's something that always confuses me about fight fans of any variety....no matter who they're watching they get horribly disappointed unless it turns into a slugfest.

This is precisely why I have no beef with Wladimir Klitchsko or Floyd Mayweather, hell it's why Lyoto Machida was considered an unequalled phenomenon when he entered the UFC.
It's important to attack for sure, but why bother if the other guy is trying to and failing because he can't get to you so you smack him around with counters until he loses his shit?

LOCONUT
May 4th, 2015, 11:11 AM
UFC is for unsophisticated, classless brutes. There is a reason they gear all the marketing toward uneducated meatheads. It's about a half step up the ladder from cock fighting.

Boxing is a graceful science that requires an elevated taste level to appreciate that most UFC fans don't have the IQ to understand. Anything beyond "boom smash grunt tap out" is basically beyond you.

It's also the most homoerotic sport on the planet yet most of the fans are homophobic, racist dimwits.

Seanny One Ball
May 4th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I like how you say that to me a guy who literally just mentioned how most fight fans of any type get disappointed when it doesn't turn into a slugfest.
This thread is a boxing thread and everyone in it is pissed that the fight didn't develop into a slobberknocker so that flies directly in your own face.
Way to completely miss my point champ.

Spedizzo
May 4th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Lyoto Machida is probably my favorite fighter in the UFC. I am gutted after his last loss since he now is pretty much finished as far as relevance goes.

I prefer UFC over Boxing because a UFC PPV offers more value for your dollar than a Boxing PPV. Whether it is the marketing or whatnot, it is what it is. The heavyweight champion in boxing fought the other night, and outside the most hardcore of fans, who the fuck even knew???

Boxing is definitely more of a science and art as a whole than MMA is. I agree. But don't kid yourself, it is still glorified rock-em-sock-em robots. If someone is paying $100 for a PPV, they are probably hoping to be entertained at the same time, or at least see a couple fights worth watching. The bar I was at didn't even bother to play the fights before the Mayweather/Pacquiao hype started.

The generalization that all UFC fans are racist idiots who just want to see blood is old and silly. The sport of UFC is completely different than the Chuck Liddell/Tank Abbott days/Tapout days.

I don't want to turn the thread into a UFC vs. Boxing thread.

Mayweather clearly outclassed Pacquiao. I think they will have a rematch because Pacquiao is playing up his shoulder injury/thinks he won, and there aren't many more "big matches" left in the current landscape that the average joe will be interested in.

Nash Diesel
May 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM
UFC is for unsophisticated, classless brutes. There is a reason they gear all the marketing toward uneducated meatheads. It's about a half step up the ladder from cock fighting.

Boxing is a graceful science that requires an elevated taste level to appreciate that most UFC fans don't have the IQ to understand. Anything beyond "boom smash grunt tap out" is basically beyond you.

It's also the most homoerotic sport on the planet yet most of the fans are homophobic, racist dimwits.

LMFAO

I think most people who don't follow boxing religiously think that every fight should look like what Rocky v. Apollo looked like lol. With that said, I think the hype was too much so it was never going to live up to the expectations of those negative toward the fight. It's just the way Mayweather fights, he's not someone who goes balls to the wall and that's why he's 48-0 and looks like he's still in his early 20's. He's smart, technical, and again, just because it wasn't a bloodbath doesn't mean that the performance shouldn't be praised. I honestly don't know what people expected, if you paid $100 for this that's on you. Boxing is not that exciting to me, but neither is baseball, so I'm cool with someone thinking that "most UFC fans" don't have the IQ, or the tolerance for boxing these days but luckily I'm not "most UFC fans" or even agree with anything you said as it pertains to "most UFC fans" because it's not true in the least. Maybe the casual fans sure, but casual fans of boxing expect the same shit as casual MMA fans do which is why you have the responses you are hearing, because there were a shit ton of casual fans watching that ppv for a stupid amount of money.

Seanny One Ball
May 4th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Boxing is definitely more of a science and art as a whole than MMA is. I agree. But don't kid yourself, it is still glorified rock-em-sock-em robots.

:wtf:

Explain in what ways boxing is more artistic and scientific than MMA.

I'd love to see the reasoning behind that.

Surely the sport which involves more use of the body and has greater capacity for utilisation of attributes would be considered the more "scientific" application?

Spedizzo
May 4th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I am not a sports/combat sports analyst. But here I go:

It is WAY easier to be successful in MMA than it is in Boxing with a lesser amount of training.

Brock Lesnar went up the UFC ranks in a short time due to just his wrestling ability. If Brock Lesnar trained Boxing after his first tenure in the WWE and then went into a professional boxing fight, it would look worse than his Overeem fight. For fuck's sake, CM Punk at over 35 years old with no experience is giving MMA a go... you can't do that in boxing.

You can be average in a variety of mixed martial arts and make it to the top of UFC. You have to be an absolute expert boxer to make it to the top of the boxing ranks.

And I am a huge UFC fan and not saying a UFC fighter couldn't beat a Boxing fighter or whatever... but in regards to training and getting technique down-pat, Boxing is definitely more difficult.

Seanny One Ball
May 4th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Ahahahahah that has to be the weirdest way anybody ever had of looking at that.

You're massively wrong of course but that is quite funny.

Spedizzo
May 4th, 2015, 11:57 AM
:mtr:

Seanny One Ball
May 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Hey you did better than GBF mate, don't worry.

Nash Diesel
May 4th, 2015, 1:49 PM
Comparing boxing and MMA is like comparing a tree to the piece of paper you write on. They have barely anything in common so arguing which one is better, more scientific...pointless. If you're an MMA fan first, don't fuck with boxing unless you appreciate the sport already. It's like watching a karate tournament or a collegiate wrestling tournament and wondering why it's not like Best of the Best or a WWE match. I honestly couldn't tell you which one is more scientific just like I couldn't tell you which one is more scientific between baseball and basketball. They have a couple things in common, valid arguments could be made on both sides, but if you're not a fan of BOTH then you're just probably clueless or rooting for your favorite.

Spedizzo
May 4th, 2015, 2:53 PM
All I know is there is an MMA sub forum on here

I don't see one for Boxing

MMA wins

Nash Diesel
May 4th, 2015, 5:03 PM

MMA wins

lol, very true.

Judas Iscariot
May 4th, 2015, 6:50 PM
Klitchko just fought at MSG and no one gave a shit. If it were an MMA event there'd a buzz. Boxing is dead and this fight didn't revive it, it didn't bring back the casual fan such as myself that wants to get back into it but can't in this day and age.

Bill Casey
May 4th, 2015, 7:51 PM
They're doing it wrong...
Only one of the announcers should be praising the chickenshit politicking wifebeating champion...

LOCONUT
May 4th, 2015, 9:40 PM

MMA wins

Keeping up with the Kardashians is way more viewed than The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and almost any other quality show I can think of. Thanks for reinforcing my point. Enjoy eating a giant turkey leg for dinner.

Fro
May 4th, 2015, 10:54 PM
The Sopranos actually got very good ratings, much better than the Kardashians. I bet Breaking Bad was more watched in its final season too although it had low ratings for most of its run.

Manny now getting rotator cuff surgery and out for 9 months. I bet there is some real need for this and some amount of bullshit. his camp is totally playing it up as the reason he lost but I don't really buy it.

Rancid_Planet
May 12th, 2015, 7:52 PM
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0512/594218/mayweather-pacquiao-shatters-ppv-record/

Holy shit. 4.4 MILLION ppv buys.

Beer-Belly
May 12th, 2015, 11:52 PM
Not really surprising. It's the last boxing event that anyone will care about for the foreseeable future.

Rancid_Planet
May 13th, 2015, 1:12 AM
I knew it would be killer but it basically broke the old ppv buys record by double.