PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of old laptops

Andy
January 5th, 2015, 9:07 AM
New years resolutions and crap jobs etc. I have to get rid of two ancient laptops. Any way to guarantee all data is gone other than taking a hammer to it?

The Rogerer
January 5th, 2015, 9:11 AM
I watched The Fall where they guy took the hard drive out of the laptop and bashed it up. Then for some reason he went on a cat and mouse chase with the police where he threw the rest of the laptop into a pond in the Botanic Gardens. Not sure why, just remove the hard drives and take the rest to an electronic waste.

If you can boot up the laptops you can just erase the hard drives from the command prompt I guess.

MikeHunt
January 5th, 2015, 9:18 AM
I think smashing it up would e more fun

The_Mike
January 5th, 2015, 1:55 PM
Stick DBAN on a flash drive or CD, boot it, wipe everything, then you don't have to worry. Add a drill to the equation for complete piece of mind.

Andy
January 5th, 2015, 5:54 PM
Wiped as much as I could then took a hammer and crowbar to them. Satisfying.

turdpower
January 5th, 2015, 7:24 PM
What you got to hide?

The_Mike
January 5th, 2015, 7:51 PM
Wiped as much as I could then took a hammer and crowbar to them. Satisfying.

Wiped how?

Grimario
January 5th, 2015, 8:47 PM
It's an old laptop... I assume he used a wet wipe.

Miotch
January 5th, 2015, 10:08 PM
I would just pull the hard drive and stick it in a case. Instant external. Then return the rest to Best Buy or wherever you have that will recycle the rest.

The Rogerer
January 6th, 2015, 5:48 AM
Please bear in mind that if you destroy a hard drive with data still on it, ghosts can now read the data.

LOCONUT
January 6th, 2015, 1:06 PM
Attach a dead bald eagle to it and throw it in the ocean.

MikeHunt
January 6th, 2015, 2:13 PM
I'm surprised andy didn't have an aneurism doing something so MENTAL and WILD!!!!