PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Resolutions 2015

The Rick
January 1st, 2015, 7:12 PM
What are your gaming resolutions for this year? Is there something you really want to focus on, or get away from? Is there a back-catalog that you really want to tackle? Are you wanting to cut back on your gaming purchases, or possibly increase them?

I'm including both my video game resolutions with my tabletop gaming resolutions.

1. Play more of my Playstation Plus games.

I have tons of games I've gotten from my PS+ subscription, and i've really not taken advantage of it. Hell I don't think I played more than a handful in 2014. This is despite my owning both the PS3 and a Vita.

2. Make more room for home console gaming.

I'm planning on picking up a PS4(although Xbox One is kinda calling my name) this year, so that should help take care of this. I really jumped into my board gaming in 2014, but I have that now nailed down to the one night a week and the odd event night in a month. Additionally I want to play a bigger percentage home console to my handhelds. My 3DS and Vita received most of my video gaming time in 2014. I don't think I played this much on my handheld since I got my GameBoy Advanced. That year I was hard pressed to not have the purple console on my person. Castlevania, and Fire Pro Wrestling were played to death.

3. Attend more gaming conventions

I went to a local gaming convention that collected all aspects of gaming. They had some video game tournaments(Smash Melee, Street Fighter IV, etc...), board games space, a LARPing arena, as well as many booths with people showing off their crafts dedicated to gaming.

I also attended Geekway in St. Louis. It was a great time playing board games through a weekend. I have some friends that moved from my area to the STL. I'm trying to coordinate attending this convention again as well as hitting some of the great breweries in the area with said friends.

4. Get 10 people into the board gaming space

I've stepped up in my board game group, and have started making small events. I was able to attract a few people to come out that hadn't played games since their youth, and those games are the classic games most people insult. I'm getting better at pairing new people to games, and have gotten better at teaching games. One of the biggest barriers to people and board games is the rules. If you told someone that they would have to read 12 pages before they could play their video game, they'd probably pick another game. That is something I have to be able to tackle, and then convey to the people willing to play.

5. Keep better management of my gaming back catalog.

I don't mind if I buy more than I did last year. I'm pretty good at not over extending myself, but I could definitely cut down on my wasteful spending. I've purchased both board games and video games that I probably won't play. At least with the board games, I can include them in a math trade at Geekway. With my video game purchases, they are digital and are just wasted spending that I won't get anything for.

I've long since made peace with the fact that I will never play all of my video game back catalog. I still have games that I have marked that I want to play from my gaming past, but I don't have the same guilt when looking over the games I haven't played. I'm fine with where my back catalog is at, but making sure that the catalog doesn't grow in epic proportions as it has in the past.

So do you have any gaming resolutions for 2015?

Bert
January 1st, 2015, 7:24 PM
Play more Steam games or at least give them a try.

I tried Unholy Heights and Fight The Dragon today. Both alright games.

Kneeneighbor
January 1st, 2015, 7:29 PM
Purchase a new system. Something to compliment my NES, Super NES and PS2

The Rogerer
January 1st, 2015, 7:41 PM
1920 x 900

The Rogerer
January 1st, 2015, 7:41 PM
Ha Ha Haaaaaaaa

turdpower
January 1st, 2015, 8:02 PM
Whilst submitting my list for the best computer games. It dawned on me how much I loved Command and Conquer and then I decided I wanted to try out similar games from that genre. So that really.

Psycho666Soldier
January 1st, 2015, 8:09 PM
Completing some of the games I've had back cataloged for years.

Bad Collin
January 1st, 2015, 8:37 PM
I'm getting married in August so i'm just going to enjoy what I can before responsibilities take away my gaming time.

Pablo Diablo
January 1st, 2015, 8:47 PM
Until you have a kid your responsibilities really shouldn't change too much. Outside of maybe having to set up a house but that's a shorter term responsibility change.

turdpower
January 2nd, 2015, 6:39 AM
He's from liverpool, of course he has a kid, :)

Bad Collin
January 2nd, 2015, 7:45 AM
I'm not from Liverpool. The plan is to buy a house and have a kid soon after, i'm going to be snatching game time where I can in 2016.

Kneeneighbor
January 2nd, 2015, 5:56 PM
I've decided I'm going to play Techmo Super Bowl. One season with every team. May have to create a thread on it. For now I'm just going to get started.

Bert
January 2nd, 2015, 6:36 PM
I remember beating Matthew in that game because I made Michael Vick run every play.

Kneeneighbor
January 2nd, 2015, 7:03 PM
Umm Vick isn't in Super Techmo Bowl.

Dreyski
January 2nd, 2015, 11:22 PM
Wait for, buy, and play The Phantom Pain

Kneeneighbor
January 3rd, 2015, 6:50 PM
Update: I'm 7-0 in my first season with the Falcons. I'll start a new thread in a few days once I'm at a proper computer and not posting from an iPad.

Fro
January 3rd, 2015, 7:26 PM
My resolution is to get my Mario Kart 8 online versus ranking above 10K.

Donald
January 3rd, 2015, 9:12 PM
I'm beating the backlog PS3 games I have. Working on Lego Marvel at the moment.

turdpower
January 4th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Whilst submitting my list for the best computer games. It dawned on me how much I loved Command and Conquer and then I decided I wanted to try out similar games from that genre. So that really.

I bought Age of Empires at the weekend from a second hand game shop. It's OK, but not quite as good as CC so far.

The_Mike
January 4th, 2015, 1:39 PM
I really liked AoE but I hear AoE II was a massive improvement. Never played that one, at the time I didn't have enough RAM or something ridiculous. Now I'm trying to shove Skyrim onto a RAMdisk. It's mad how things changed so quickly.

Command and Conquer was great, I loved all of the games except the Red Alert 3 expansion which was astonishingly loathesome, despite starring Ric Flair.

The Rogerer
January 10th, 2015, 12:07 PM
My resolution is that I'm not going to buy any games for the rest of the year. I generally buy a shocking amount, so it's going to stop. My one allowed exception is the Phantom Pain because I'm not convinced it's even going to come out this year, so if they manage it, I'll get it. I promise to post in here if I break my resolution.

MMH
January 10th, 2015, 1:14 PM
He's from liverpool, of course he has a kid, :)

Hes a Liverpool fan. Of course hes not from Liverpool...

Matthew
January 10th, 2015, 1:16 PM
bert isn't lying

Fanny
January 10th, 2015, 3:57 PM
My resolution is that I'm not going to buy any games for the rest of the year. I generally buy a shocking amount, so it's going to stop. My one allowed exception is the Phantom Pain because I'm not convinced it's even going to come out this year, so if they manage it, I'll get it. I promise to post in here if I break my resolution.

how many games have you bought since this post?

JP
January 10th, 2015, 4:11 PM
Get myself a PS3 and play all the exclusive games I've never had the chance to.

Bert
January 10th, 2015, 6:03 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/tecmo-super-bowl-2013-gives-classic-game-up-to-date-nfl-rosters/

Rancid_Planet
January 13th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I'm actually into my gaming resolution already. I'm going to play every single Fire Emblem game (Sans Japanese exclusives) in order starting with the Gameboy advance first installment. I've played some of the games before and always had a blast. This year I become a Fire Emblem hardcore.