PDA

View Full Version : NJPW US TV Deal

Defrost
November 24th, 2014, 3:21 AM
http://fightnetwork.com/news/52253:njpw-to-air-on-axs-tv-in-2015/

AXS TV has released a trailer for their 2015 programming and includes New Japan Pro Wrestling as part of the lineup for the new year.

The LAW can report that AXS TV has a deal to run 13 episodes (including the 2013 G-1 Climax tournament) and the first episode will feature the Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada match from the 2013 Tokyo Dome show.

The broadcast team will consist of Mauro Ranallo and UFC heavyweight Josh Barnett and will be taped in December.

AXS is the former HDNet. I think it is available in more homes than Destination America.

McBain
November 24th, 2014, 3:31 AM
Interesting.

son_of_foley
November 24th, 2014, 5:51 AM
Home to great tv shows like

The World's Greatest Tribute Bands
Drinking Made Easy
Gene Simmons Family Jewels

That's what we do now right?

Ringo
November 24th, 2014, 9:54 AM
Would be amazing if New Japan is actually available in more homes than TNA a few months down the line. Mauro Ranallo and JOSH BARNETT!

Cewsh
November 24th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Yeeeeeessssssss

Matthew
November 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM
i have this channel

thank you mark cuban

MikeHunt
November 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Home to great tv shows like

The World's Greatest Tribute Bands
Drinking Made Easy
Gene Simmons Family Jewels

That's what we do now right?

Hhhahahahaha!

Nash Diesel
November 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
http://fightnetwork.com/news/52253:njpw-to-air-on-axs-tv-in-2015/

AXS is the former HDNet. I think it is available in more homes than Destination America.

Naw TNA has them beat by about 20 million homes but the real issue with these channels is that not every cable/sattelite provider offers them outside of a bundle package. Thinking about switching providers just to ensure I'll have more than the WWE and ROH to watch each week. Being able to see New Japan outside of youtube would be incredible.

Defrost
November 25th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Fridays at 9PM EST starting January 16th

Beer-Belly
November 25th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Cool, I get it in my area.

Defrost
November 26th, 2014, 3:18 AM
Some notes from Meltzer's podcast

This was going to be announced, but they were afraid of it being swallowed up by TNA to Destination America. So NJPW proposed that they announce it as part of the NJPWWorld Press Conference on the 1st. However, no one told whoever made the commercial and it ran with NJPW as part of the 2015 lineup.

Obviously if the first 13 episodes go well there will be more NJPW on the network.

The 13 episodes cover January 2013 - May 2014. NJPW's idea was that the first 6 episodes would cover the 6 Tanahashi vs Okada matches and build it as the greatest wrestling rivalry in the world. The network nixed that idea.

This was a big shock to a lot of people. New Japan was super tight lipped about it. Jeff Jarrett had no idea this was happening.

McBain
November 26th, 2014, 3:21 AM
Tanahashi's fucked now though anyway, right?

edit - no forget it, thinking of another guy with a weird name.

Defrost
November 26th, 2014, 3:25 AM
No, he's fine. Are you thinking Tatsu?

McBain
November 26th, 2014, 3:32 AM
So why would they nix such an idea? Are they not running those matches anymore then?

Defrost
November 26th, 2014, 3:34 AM
So why would they nix such an idea? Are they not running those matches anymore then?

They didn't want to devote a month a half to just 2 guys. They want more variety basically.

McBain
November 26th, 2014, 3:42 AM
I think it would be a pretty sweet idea, maybe they can do it later on with someone else.

Ringo
November 26th, 2014, 6:53 AM
But they would have been replays...?

Ringo
January 10th, 2015, 6:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCGTR9hiZg

SMASH!

GA-PLONK!

OD50
January 10th, 2015, 6:26 AM
:lol: Awesome.

Mauro Ranallo and Josh Barnett right?

Kneeneighbor
January 10th, 2015, 1:04 PM
Damn, I looked and I don't have the channel available, even on extended packages.

Bad Collin
January 10th, 2015, 2:57 PM
I need to find a way to watch this

MikeHunt
January 10th, 2015, 3:04 PM
Watchwrestling.ch will have it

Ringo
January 11th, 2015, 10:25 PM
METZLERHYPE

Dave Meltzer
‏@davemeltzerWON

The best one hour pro wrestling TV show I ever saw was a 1986 episode of World Wide Wrestling with a Flair vs. Windham match.

It is now a very distant second. The 3rd episode of New Japan on AXS is like nothing I've ever seen before.

Story telling, announcing, post-match, how it led to the next step, I defy anyone to not connect with that show.

I'm told the episode I'm talking about debuts Jan. 23 at 10 pm.. they are running a two hour block the second week.Will repeat 1/30 at 9

Hero!
January 11th, 2015, 10:35 PM
hyyyyype

Beer-Belly
January 11th, 2015, 10:45 PM
It's just older matches, right?

Ringo
January 11th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Yep, as described earlier in this thread.

Beer-Belly
January 11th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I should have just checked. I don't have a problem with the show consisting older matches because I doubt I've seen most of them.

McBain
January 11th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Preparing to jizz.

Defrost
January 12th, 2015, 12:32 AM
The episode he's talking about is the Tanahashi vs Okada Invasion Attack match

virms
January 12th, 2015, 1:28 AM
Everything has been hyped in this. I will be watching.

Ringo
January 13th, 2015, 1:55 PM
Alvarez and Meltzer said Ranallo's commentary for episode 3 (Okada/Tanahashi from Invasion Attack) is perhaps the best announcing call for a wrestling match ever. Up there with JR doing Flair/Steamboat. And that Barnett is great too.

Loving all this gushing. :lol:

Cewsh
January 13th, 2015, 2:10 PM
Meltzer has been brick hard for about 2 weeks straight. Somebody needs to get him to a hospital.

Defrost
January 14th, 2015, 5:38 PM
This promo is a bit better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8_m_yICC3Y

Ringo
January 14th, 2015, 5:42 PM
Yeah, they must have realised their mistake.

Also, Barnett & Bas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef7w9v_twug

Ringo
January 16th, 2015, 1:57 PM
Full match listings:

January 16
Tanahashi vs. Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 7

January 23
Okada vs. Hirooki Goto, 2013 New Japan Cup finals
Shinsuke Nakamura/Tomohiro Ishii/Jado vs. Minoru Suzuki/Lance Archer/Taka Michinoku

January 30
Tanahashi vs. Okada, Invasion Attack 2013

February 6
Okada vs. Togi Makabe
Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt

February 13
Okada vs. Prince Devitt
Tanahashi/Makabe/Jushin Liger/Captain New Japan vs. Karl Anderson/El Terrible/Tama Tonga/Bad Luck Fale

February 20
Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi
Satoshi Kojima vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Karl Anderson

February 27
Tanahashi vs. Tesuya Naito, G1 Climax finals

March 6
Nakamura vs. Naomichi Marifuji
Naito vs. Yijiro Takahashi

March 13
Okada vs. Naito, Wrestle Kingdom 8

March 20
Nakamura vs. Tanahashi, Wrestle Kingdom 8

March 27
Nakamura vs. Tanahashi, Invasion Attack 2014

April 3
Okada vs. AJ Styles, Wrestling Dontaku
Ibushi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
The Forever Hooligans vs. The Young Bucks

April 10
Okada vs. AJ Styles, Yokohama Arena
Takashi Iizuka/Toru Yano vs. Suzuki/Shelton Benjamin

One Ishii match. :(

Tainted Eclipse
January 16th, 2015, 4:30 PM
i STRONGLY DISAPPROVE of that lineup

JRSlim21
January 16th, 2015, 6:58 PM
I'm shocked there's not more Devitt, although that could end up being free promotion for the E

Defrost
January 16th, 2015, 7:03 PM
Not much in the way of Juniors at all. Devitt's best matches around this time were with Gedo and Alex Shelley

Defrost
January 16th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Anyone watch?

Panther52
January 17th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Anyone watch?

i would love to have watched, but I don't get the package with axs on directv :(. really wish they had the Saku v Nakamura match from WK7 somewhere on the lineup. Mauro and Josh woulda had fun with that me thinks.

Defrost
January 17th, 2015, 1:48 AM
Episode 1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ewk5q_njpw-axs-ep-1_sport

Ringo
January 17th, 2015, 9:27 AM
Was brilliant I thought. So refreshing to hear such great commentary and we got SUBTITLES. Ranallo knows everything! Loved him listing Brunzell, Orton and Bob Holly when trying to suggest a dropkick that compares to Okada's. Perhaps a bit too heavy on the fact listing early on but by the end both he and Barnett were doing a terrific job.

Tanahashi: "They get cheered for their baby faces. I'm just a guy with short arms and legs" :lol:

thesamuelcooke
January 17th, 2015, 9:59 AM
Ranallo, while much more knowledgeable, sounds so much like Scott Hudson vocally that it kind of grated on me.

Hero!
January 17th, 2015, 12:40 PM
God damn, I am in love with this concept. This match is two years old, we all know the finish, we all know the story, but Barnett and Ranallo do a brilliant job of making everything seem important and make you think the match is unfolding live as it watch it.

Guess ill just add this extra hour of wrestling to my week....

Percussion
January 17th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Ranallo clearly should be the voice that bridges NJPW to a US wrestling audience.

Hero!
January 17th, 2015, 2:25 PM
I know it'll be on this show in a few weeks, but after episode 1, I had to watch okada/tana from invasion attack. What an absolutely brilliant match. I can't wait to see it presented with Ranallo and Barnett commentating.

Ringo
January 17th, 2015, 2:29 PM
I think it's on next week? Double header I believe?

Hero!
January 17th, 2015, 2:36 PM
According to the schedule above it's on in 2 weeks!

Ringo
January 17th, 2015, 2:42 PM
I know but I swear Meltzer said something about the Invasion Attack match being part of a double header. Could be in the third week.

Defrost
January 17th, 2015, 4:58 PM
Next week they are showing two episodes because there are no MMA Fights. The second episode will be Okada vs Tanahashi from Invasion Attack. They will replay that episode the week after too.

Panther52
January 17th, 2015, 7:58 PM
Episode 1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ewk5q_njpw-axs-ep-1_sport

Thanks for posting the link Defrost. I don't get Axs so it's much appreciated. :)

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
January 19th, 2015, 7:12 PM
Loved the concept, Ranallo and Barnett offer excellent commentary. That bit where they emphasize Okada being underutilized in TNA and openly describe him as having an inferior yet different gimmick was very nice. I like how they break kayfabe in that aspect yet still use it to enhance Okada's profile and put over his Rainmaker persona.

Such fucking shame WWE has no clue how to push these guys. An Okada/Tanahashi blow off at Wrestlemania could literally be a smark fan's deepest fantasy lol.

How do I keep up with current storylines? Do I have sign up for New Japan World? how else?

Defrost
January 19th, 2015, 7:26 PM
Loved the concept, Ranallo and Barnett offer excellent commentary. That bit where they emphasize Okada being underutilized in TNA and openly describe him as having an inferior yet different gimmick was very nice. I like how they break kayfabe in that aspect yet still use it to enhance Okada's profile and put over his Rainmaker persona.

Such fucking shame WWE has no clue how to push these guys. An Okada/Tanahashi blow off at Wrestlemania could literally be a smark fan's deepest fantasy lol.

How do I keep up with current storylines? Do I have sign up for New Japan World? how else?

Keeping current I'd go with puroresuspirit since Puroresufan is done.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
January 19th, 2015, 8:29 PM
Keeping current I'd go with puroresuspirit since Puroresufan is done.

Thanks bro.

Bad Collin
January 20th, 2015, 7:27 PM
I really enjoyed this show. I didn't think the match was on the same level as this years and Ranallo grated on me a bit at first but when the action was in full flow towards the end it was some of the best wrestling TV I have seen. Barnett's analysis added a lot.

I can't wait for the next installment.

Canadian Devil
January 20th, 2015, 8:41 PM
I am looking forward to see more episodes and can't wait for the day that shows like these can be see live with english commentary all the time

greebull
January 23rd, 2015, 10:23 AM
TONIGHT on AXS TV: A special 2-hour block of "NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING"

MATCHES BEING SHOWN FROM 9PM ET to 10PM ET:
-Hiroki Goto vs. "Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (FINALS OF NEW JAPAN CUP 2013)
-Jado / Shinsuke Nakamura / Tomohiro Ishii vs. Lance Archer / Minoru Suzuki / TAKA Michinoku (6-MAN TAG)

MATCH BEING SHOWN FROM 10PM ET to 11PM ET:
-Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada (IWGP CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH, REMATCH FROM LAST WEEK'S SHOW, 2013)

Bad Collin
January 24th, 2015, 9:50 AM
Just watched episode two, I thought it was strange that they cut the six man tag down but I enjoyed seeing SHINSUKE and some new characters. The end sequence to Okada/Goto was incredible, that dropkick to the back of the head!

I'm saving episode three until later in the week.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
January 24th, 2015, 4:00 PM
haven't watched episode 3 yet. But shit that Okada/Goto match was quality. Nakamura being his usually awesome self on cable tv was boss.

I wanna see that Shinsuke/DH Smith match if it ever happenned.

Gibby
January 24th, 2015, 4:24 PM
Ep. 2 was fun, Goto's counter to the Rainmaker was my favourite other than the tag team one that Goto & Shibata did. I won't spoil it.

Ep. 3 was very very good indeed.

Ringo
January 24th, 2015, 4:43 PM
haven't watched episode 3 yet. But shit that Okada/Goto match was quality. Nakamura being his usually awesome self on cable tv was boss.

I wanna see that Shinsuke/DH Smith match if it ever happenned.

Yeah, was second from the top at Invasion Attack where episode 3's match takes place. Worth a watch. Dave Meltzer absolutely loved it.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
January 24th, 2015, 5:05 PM
Yeah, was second from the top at Invasion Attack where episode 3's match takes place. Worth a watch. Dave Meltzer absolutely loved it.

So Davey has been killing it in NJPW and NOAH then. Man I just love the fact that let him come through the crowd and just fucking be himself in the mic.

Gibby
January 24th, 2015, 6:07 PM
Yeah, Young Harry Smith has been let off the leash a bit in New Japan. He is capable of some very good matches (his matches with Nakamura are all good and the ones with Tanahashi and Ishii from the recent G1 are tremendous) and Killer Elite Squad have been a solid tag team. Occasionally he's a bit corny with his angry heel monster shtick but then I look at his age and think his best years are coming up.

Defrost
January 24th, 2015, 6:22 PM
big appeal

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
January 24th, 2015, 8:26 PM
If it were easier to catch up and stay up to date I could potentially ditch WWE for NJPW. Especially with the looming prospect of Cena/Reigns (face vs face yawn) and Bryan/Sheamus at Wrestlemania which would basically drive home the fact that WWE will always stick to their lousy ways no matter how much backlash the fans give them.

By the way commentary was brilliant his week as well.

Bad Collin
January 25th, 2015, 5:48 AM
Once this run of NJPW TV has ended i'm going to be very tempted to ditch the network for New Japan World. I feel I need to know more about the characters first.

Ringo
January 25th, 2015, 6:21 AM
If it were easier to catch up and stay up to date I could potentially ditch WWE for NJPW.

It IS easy to catch up and stay up to date! All you need is NJPW World and a couple of websites.

Anyway, episode two was good and episode three was genuinely amazing. Commentary was delightful. It's refreshing to just have wrestling commentary that doesn't actively irritate you and detract from the match, so when you're sitting there and thinking "oh yeah, good point! This commentary is good" it's quite something.

Liked the little sit down interview with Okada where he brought up how he's well aware of Tanahashi's obsession with attacking the knees and he's been working on countering that. Then in the match we see exactly that. The post-match Okada/Gedo/MiSu promo was just excellent. I don't remember that from the time but it was great to see all that with the english subtitles. MiSu came off like such a boss. Again though, it's a bit annoying that they're not actually going to show you Okada/Suzuki.

Three episodes in and they've introduced a bunch of the top characters, the greatest rivalry, fed you loads of history, decribed the different atmospheres of the Dome, Korakuen and Sumo Hall etc.

Devitt and Togi next episode. Looking forward to hearing what Ranallo has to say.

Bad Collin
January 29th, 2015, 7:12 PM
Episode three was incredible, this by far my favourite wrestling program at the moment.

greebull
January 30th, 2015, 10:07 AM
RE-AIRING TONIGHT @ 9PM ET on AXS TV: EPISODE 3 (Hiroshi Tanahashi defends the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Kazuchika Okada in a classic bout voted the 2013 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Match of the Year.)

If you haven't seen this match, you need to.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
January 31st, 2015, 8:14 PM
The ring psychology during the episode 3 match was amazing. Tanahashi destroying Okada's arm after Okada dodged the dropkick to the knee and all the little stories they told had me going full blast.

Gibby
February 1st, 2015, 2:42 PM
I hate to compare WWE & NJPW because they do two different things, basically, but the post-match of the Okada win at IA 2013 reminded me of WM30 inasmuch as they told a story of wrecking the fuck out of Bryan's shoulder and yet in the photos he's lifting both belts (apparently they told him to and he questioned it, but it makes for good photos). Okada's spoken stuff is great, I am actually of the opinion that he's SHOOT brilliant and not just a kid who got a push that he grew into. I'm not saying he's a great promo and he does need Gedo a bit but he had the crowd in the palm of his hand when dissing Suzuki (who was also absolutely incredible).

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 4th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Man would I love a New Japan based invasion angle in WWE. Just have them tear everyone apart then leave before creative gets a hold of them.

greebull
February 6th, 2015, 10:21 AM
MATCHES SHOWN ON TONIGHT'S EPISODE: (@9PM ET on AXS TV)

-Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt
-"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Togi Makabe (IWGP CHAMPIONSHIP)

greebull
February 13th, 2015, 10:11 AM
TONITE @ 9PM ET on AXS TV:

-Okada (c) vs. Prince Devitt (IWGP CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH)
-6-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH (Featuring: Jushin Thunder Liger, Tanahashi, and more)

Karate Piper
February 13th, 2015, 11:19 PM
I gotta say I am loving this tv deal. As a fan that has long heard of New Japan but never actually seen it, I find it so refreshing from the stale WWE product. Even if the matches are 2 years old. And the announce team is a dream, no bickering, no constant panhandling, no fed lines. I have yet to see a match that disappointed. I know NJPW has been around for years and I could have found it on the youtubes or whatever but I have a TV and I prefer to watch wrestling on TV. Now I just hope ROH comes to my TV market sometime soon.

Gibby
February 14th, 2015, 6:29 PM
5 episodes in and I feel ready to declare this an artistic success though I have no idea how it is doing.

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 14th, 2015, 11:56 PM
I gotta say I am loving this tv deal. As a fan that has long heard of New Japan but never actually seen it, I find it so refreshing from the stale WWE product. Even if the matches are 2 years old. And the announce team is a dream, no bickering, no constant panhandling, no fed lines. I have yet to see a match that disappointed. I know NJPW has been around for years and I could have found it on the youtubes or whatever but I have a TV and I prefer to watch wrestling on TV. Now I just hope ROH comes to my TV market sometime soon.

Listening to those two makes it that much desirable to mute Raw.

Emphasis - JBL.

Defrost
February 19th, 2015, 12:47 AM
According to Barnett this show is being renewed

ThE_GrEaT_GaM
February 19th, 2015, 10:00 PM
According to Barnett this show is being renewed

Yeah saw the add hyping the previous Shinsuke/Ibushi match.

greebull
February 20th, 2015, 10:23 AM
NJPW on AXS TV has a special start time tonight: 8PM ET (Going head-to-head with WWE Superstars on the Network! Ohhhhh)

Here's a short summary of what to expect, taken from AXS TV's official website:

"Coverage of the legendary 23rd annual G-1 Climax Tournament featuring Shinsuke Nakamura, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Karl Anderson, Satochi Kojima, and Kota Ibuse."

Ringo
February 20th, 2015, 1:00 PM
Reckon I'll watch this one.

Bad Collin
February 20th, 2015, 2:14 PM
To me it sounds like the worst one yet, presumably it will be all highlights.

I watched last weeks today, great match between Balor and Okada. The Bullet Club didn't ruin it too much but it would have been better without them.

Ringo
February 20th, 2015, 2:16 PM
February 20
Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi
Satoshi Kojima vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Karl Anderson

I'm hoping Nakamura/Ibushi is in full and the other two are short highlights? Cutting down all three so we get a bit more Tenzan/Anderson doesn't seem like a good idea.

Bad Collin
February 20th, 2015, 2:30 PM
That would be good, I don't need to see too much of the second two.

Defrost
February 20th, 2015, 5:40 PM
Nakamura vs Ibushi is tonight

Defrost
March 2nd, 2015, 1:49 AM
For anyone who watched the latest episode this is what Tanahashi had to say in his book about Naito's post match promo

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.com/2014/05/njpw-hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about-his_22.html

Naito himself always expresses negative thoughts in his promos.
For instance, when he won the 2013 G1 Climax, his first words were “I was thinking that you might not remember me-”. This line was unnecessary. Everyone in the venue was informed of his injury and anxiety in the pre-match promo video. But he starts out with self-denial. May be some female fans would feel for Naito, but if he’s going for the top, I think he should make his statement more clear-cut and stronger.
“Tetsuya Naito is back! I’m coming for you, Tanahashi, Okada!”
That way, people’s expectation would grow in a good way, and lead them to cheer for Naito. That’s the kind of situation that the fans exactly want.
G1 Climax is where heroes are born. We fight all around Japan getting hurt along the way. As for 2013, we all fought through the summer for a birth of “G1 Climax Winner Tetsuya Naito”. That’s why I wanted him to cut a promo that would respond to the whole roster that took part in G1. So I couldn’t help but think, “What a great opportunity he wasted!”
I admire his skill as a wrestler, which made it even more disappointing. When I’m on the microphone, I try to pick “energetic words”.
For example I reword “Thank you” to “I’m grateful for you support!”
I see wrestlers in pre-title match press conference saying, “I want to win the match.” but they should really say, “I am going to win for sure.” You’re conveying two completely different messages here.
A young wrestler like Naito shouldn’t use less energetic words than me

greebull
March 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM
TONITE @ 9PM ET on AXS TV: "New Japan Pro Wrestling"

FEATURED MATCHES:
-Naito vs. Takahashi (IWGP #1 CONTENDER'S MATCH)
-Marufuji vs. Nakamura (IC TITLE MATCH)

greebull
March 13th, 2015, 9:36 AM

FEATURED MATCH:
-"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito (IWGP CHAMPIONSHIP)

Defrost
April 2nd, 2015, 6:50 PM
We has press release on Season 2 of NJPW on AXS

AXS TV EXTENDS ‘NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING’ FOR 12 MORE EPISODES RETURNING MAY 22

LOS ANGELES – April 2, 2015 – Based on the success of NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING’S (NJPW) inaugural run on AXS TV, the network today announced it has exercised its option to extend the current season by 12 episodes. The second cycle of NJPW will premiere Friday, May 22 at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT with coverage of the “Best of the Super Juniors XXI” tournament.

Renowned combat sports commentator Mauro Ranallo and former UFC heavyweight champion and NJPW veteran Josh Barnett reprise their roles as critically acclaimed commentators for the series. The additional episodes feature a combined eight hours of comprehensive coverage of the 24th annual G1 Climax Tournament, including full matches and highlights, and three hours of coverage from “Dominion 6.21.”

The first cycle of NJPW episodes will wrap up April 10 featuring the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match between A.J. Styles and Kazuchika Okada from “Back to the Yokohama Arena.” New episodes air Friday nights on AXS TV leading into the network’s weekly, live AXS TV FIGHTS broadcasts.

“In the second cycle of NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING on AXS TV, we will focus a majority of the episodes on G1 Climax 24, which was hailed by many as one of the best pro wrestling tournaments in history,” said Andrew Simon, CEO of AXS TV FIGHTS. “We are thankful to New Japan Pro Wrestling and our programming partner TV Asahi in Japan for allowing us to acquire this unique series and share it with our audience.”

AXS TV’s NJPW episodes were produced by and acquired from TV ASAHI CORPORATION.

greebull
April 3rd, 2015, 9:32 AM

MATCHES:
-AJ Styles vs. "Rainmaker" Okada (c) (IWGP CHAMPIONSHIP)
-Kozlov / Romero vs. Young Bucks (JR. HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM TITLES)
-Ibushi (c) vs. Taguchi (JR. HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE)

greebull
April 10th, 2015, 10:10 AM

-AJ Styles (c) vs. "Rainmaker" Okada (IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP)
-Shelton Benjamin vs. ???