PDA

View Full Version : WWE Supercard

RuneEdge
November 22nd, 2014, 8:30 AM
https://downloads.2kgames.com/2k/staging/datastore/1239-wwe_supercard_buynow.jpg

Is no one actually playing this? Its been out for some time now, and I'm surprised no one's made a thread about it.
Highly addictive game, even without the fact that its associated with wrestling. A few of my friends are hooked, and they don't follow the product.

Its sort of similar to "Top Trumps". You have a hand of 5 cards (Four superstars and one diva). Each card has 4 stats, as shown in the example here.
http://wwesupercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/heath.jpg

You play against other AI controlled hands, where the game calls out one of the four stat categories (eg. Power) and you have to play a card who has the highest power stat available to you. The other player does the same, and the highest card wins. It's best of three, and if you win, you gain two new cards at random from the deck.
Pretty simple.

There's loads of cards to collect, plus various game modes and mechanics to keep you busy, such has levelling up cards to improve their stats or combining two similar cards to great stronger "Pro" cards,

Download the game for free on Android and iOS. :yes:

The Rogerer
November 22nd, 2014, 8:53 AM
Don't. It is an endless, joyless treadmill and it will burn through your phone's battery like nobodies business.

Playing the matches aren't fun because it's mind numbing, and you have to play the third match when it's best out of three for absolutely no reason so it's a good time to aimlessly mash your finger into the screen
Getting cards isn't fun because you're waiting to get the duplicate of them to train them up
It's nothing to do with wrestling

RuneEdge
November 22nd, 2014, 9:31 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
BOO YOUR OPINION :mad:

The game isn't mind numbing. It's called grinding. Lot's of modern games have some form of grinding involved, and I don't see how this is any worse. And the game isn't supposed to just throw easy duplicates at you. That just takes away from the longevity of the game. Besides, if you win the King of the Ring (or even a runner up), you're rewarded with two copies of whatever card you pull. So there is a sure fire way to get duplicates, which requires a bit of work (as it should be).

Matthew
November 22nd, 2014, 9:45 AM
the whole game is grinding

The Rogerer
November 22nd, 2014, 9:49 AM
Grinding is now just an accepted word. It used to be a perjorative. Matthew is right, it's 100% grinding. Where is the point where you're happy? Oh, I got this card, welp better get it trained up over the next 10 hours. Oop it got beaten by Vince McMahon anyway. The matches aren't fun. Where's the carrot? In other games you might grind for a bit to be able to go on and do something else.

RuneEdge
November 22nd, 2014, 10:11 AM
How's that any different from something like grinding in Destiny? You repeatedly go to the same location, constantly grind by killing stuff, with the hope that it will drop some loot (eg a weapon of some sort), just so you can use that same weapon to kill the shit that you were killing to get the loot in the first place.

Supercard is a card collecting game. Like every other collecting game, you're happy when you've completed your collection. Its like any other card game in real life, except they've made this into a phone app.
I've collected every card from the first two tiers, and now I'm moving on and trying to get the rest. The only way I'll get them is by winning matches, and I'll only win matches if my cards are stronger.
There's my goal and my incentive to play.

The Rogerer
November 22nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
In Destiny the concept is that you're doing something enjoyable in the process of grinding - playing a shooter. In this you're playing top trumps against a computer in a best of three match where you always have to play the third fight, and your success isn't based on any real strategy, just what cards you happen to have. Nothing will happen that surprises you there, you're going to be stuck with the same cards for a long time anyway. It's WORSE than Top Trumps because in that you have a random hand so something unexpected might happen.

Completing your collection will take a ludicrous amount of time. Hope you're sitting near a phone charger for the next few months.

Card games in real life have deep levels of strategy and luck that affects gameplay. You get to make interesting decisions and gambles regularly. Not in WWE Supercard.

Matthew
November 22nd, 2014, 10:31 AM
battles in destiny require some type of skill or strategy to out-battle an opponent. there is an illusion of strategy in this game, but it's not really there. the only skill required is the ability to play the game more.

RuneEdge
November 22nd, 2014, 10:47 AM
In Destiny the concept is that you're doing something enjoyable in the process of grinding
I don't see how hanging out in one area and repeatedly shooting the same enemies for loot, over and over for hours can be fun. And to make matters worse, you get other people jumping into your game, who then go around and steal your loot that you worked hours for.

Card games in real life have deep levels of strategy and luck that affects gameplay. You get to make interesting decisions and gambles regularly. Not in WWE Supercard.
Clearly you haven't played the game long enough to understand how its played at higher levels. There are various strategies when it comes to creating your team alone, then there's how you pick your cards during the matches, the use of support cards, there's the random element of special card abilities, then the use of tag teams and how some "compatible" cards get tag team boosts.
And that's just the thought that could go into it between matches. If you're playing the King of the Ring mode, there's the fact that you need a team of twice as many cards, and need to substitute/rotate your team to keep their stamina levels high. You also need to look at the upcoming fixtures and prepare for the next opponent by looking at how they played in their previous games, and make use of stat boost cards that you pick up on the way.

Thinking its a game purely based on randomness and grinding is stupid. There's actually such a thing as "being good at this game". If you dont understand that, you're either not very good at the game yourself, or you're too lazy to give a shit. Either way, your summary of the game is kinda wrong and biased.

JP
November 22nd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Hearthstone. Everybody should play Hearthstone. I bloody well loves it, I do.

The Rogerer
November 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Good grief, tell me your Supercard strats then. The ones that don't involve "Keep playing so you get the duplicate Paige/Cena" cards and hope enough other people out there don't have the patience to level them both up before combining them into a problem."

King of the Ring involves you remembering to log in every so often and swap your cards. Yet another 'hook' that is now prevalent in these games.

JP you can't mention hearthstone in the same sentence as this. "There are cards" is the start and end of the resemblence.

Matthew
November 22nd, 2014, 11:12 AM
the way to be good at this game: know the difference between blue and yellow and an up and down arrow.

RuneEdge
November 22nd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Need to know left and right too.

Matthew
November 22nd, 2014, 11:44 AM
those are just sideways up and down

RuneEdge
November 22nd, 2014, 11:49 AM
That's one way to help you remember, yeah. :yes:

The_Mike
November 23rd, 2014, 2:22 PM
I don't see how hanging out in one area and repeatedly shooting the same enemies for loot, over and over for hours can be fun. And to make matters worse, you get other people jumping into your game, who then go around and steal your loot that you worked hours for.

Isn't that making Rogerer's argument for him, though? Grinding used to be a word people used to say that a game wasn't actually fun - it was a grind. If you don't get how going back and shooting enemies in the same place over and over hoping you get lucky with loot can be fun, surely that explains why others don't get how playing the same card game over and over waiting for duplicates can be fun? It's the same problem - grinding. Personally I don't find shooting and hoping you don't die to be much different from button mashing in a game like this but I can get that people who are into shooters at least find that part enjoyable while they grind. I used to find battle strategy, drinking in the gameworld and the music enjoyable while grinding in RPGs but it's been forever since I last played one that had a good world that I cared to spend that much time in. This isn't hugely related but I really got put off this kind of gameplay once I realised Final Fantasy XIII was just an exercise in grinding until you were powerful enough to access the next corridor.

Clearly you haven't played the game long enough to understand how its played at higher levels. There are various strategies when it comes to creating your team alone, then there's how you pick your cards during the matches, the use of support cards, there's the random element of special card abilities, then the use of tag teams and how some "compatible" cards get tag team boosts.
And that's just the thought that could go into it between matches. If you're playing the King of the Ring mode, there's the fact that you need a team of twice as many cards, and need to substitute/rotate your team to keep their stamina levels high. You also need to look at the upcoming fixtures and prepare for the next opponent by looking at how they played in their previous games, and make use of stat boost cards that you pick up on the way.

Thinking its a game purely based on randomness and grinding is stupid. There's actually such a thing as "being good at this game". If you dont understand that, you're either not very good at the game yourself, or you're too lazy to give a shit. Either way, your summary of the game is kinda wrong and biased.

Did you make the game? To start going into "you obviously just suck at the game" seems a bit of a strong reaction.

To be fair I'm totally biased against freemium type games and card games where you have to get lucky and/or buy a billion cards to make any progress. But if you're enjoying it, good, that's what games are for. I loved With Authority back in the day, I think some people still play it. Did you ever try that one? How does Supercard compare?

MikeHunt
November 23rd, 2014, 2:48 PM
The games bollocks. I lasted about 2/3 mins before deleting it.

turdpower
November 23rd, 2014, 3:39 PM
It's shit and I've never even played it.

The_Mike
April 28th, 2015, 1:34 PM
I'm in the finals of King of the Ring! :hyper:

The_Mike - King in the North!