PDA

View Full Version : WWN Live in China

Defrost
November 16th, 2014, 7:08 PM
The Gabe Sapolsky network of promotions drew over 10,000 fans in Beijing today. You can watch it here with Chinese commentary

http://www.letv.com/ptv/vplay/21223675.html

Defrost
November 17th, 2014, 7:06 PM
So it sounds like not only are they going back soon but WWN Live is making some major deals over there. So the first wrestling promoter to crack this market is Gabe.

takerson
November 17th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Fucking awesome. Wow. Evolve just outdrew anything TNA has done, by a large margin. Evolve is my favorite promotion too. WWN is DGUSA, Evolve, FIP, & Shine, mainly. I love the whole group. This is so unbelievably cool.

Mills
November 17th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Gabe was always great in breaking into new areas and building a promotion in a new area, now if he can maintain it, that's a whole other beast

DDT
November 19th, 2014, 5:50 PM
As much as I want to derisively mock everything and anything associated with WWN, EVOLVE, and Gabe...got to hand it to them. They went from the dead dog that is the U.S. independent scene and broke into an entirely new market where wrestling is actually fairly fresh (hurrah for oppressive governments, I guess). Being a Gabe project, I fully expect them to fuck this up in, oh say, five years tops. Especially since New Japan has run a few shows in China as well, and they were fairly successful from what I understand.

Defrost
November 19th, 2014, 5:56 PM
The problem with a Japanese company going into China is that the Chinese are still a little miffed about the whole genocide thing back in World War II.

DDT
November 19th, 2014, 6:11 PM
Pretty sure Japan STILL hasn't apologized for that; apparently that's the Asian equivalent of Holocaust Denial.

Also pretty sure I heard one Japanese politician say something to the effect of it was nothing that the Chinese didn't do to themselves both before and after, so what are they so miffed about. I mean, technically he's right, but still...

Cewsh
November 19th, 2014, 6:14 PM
I think New Japan are flirting with Taiwan and Hong Kong, which are a totally different thing that the mainland.

DDT
November 19th, 2014, 6:17 PM
Yup; those are what I was thinking of. Nevermind completely, then.

Matthew
November 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
lets go china!

Ringo
November 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
Pretty sure Japan STILL hasn't apologized for that; apparently that's the Asian equivalent of Holocaust Denial.

Also pretty sure I heard one Japanese politician say something to the effect of it was nothing that the Chinese didn't do to themselves both before and after, so what are they so miffed about. I mean, technically he's right, but still...

It's insane. As I understand it there are still some fairly prominent Japanese parties and politicians who outright deny events like the Rape of Nanking ever occurred or that the death toll is greatly exaggerated. Then there's the continued use of that rising sun flag - remember when New Japan used a Nazi/SS theme for one of the big shows?

Such a contrast to Germany. The state of those two countries in 1945 was obviously very different of course. It is telling though that in Japan a wrestling promotion thought this was acceptable

http://www.japanprobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/nazi-wrestling.jpg

while the German chancellor is busy scolding her conservative ministers for so much as waving a little German flag during post-election celebrations.

Defrost
November 21st, 2014, 6:18 PM
I think the reason for that, if we want to get historical, is how differently the occupations were handled. In Germany you had the Americans, British, and Soviets in their zones with the Americans and British in a standoff with the Red Army so there were things going on there and meanwhile in Japan General Douglas MacArthur was basically a benevolent King.

Beer-Belly
November 21st, 2014, 6:24 PM
:lol:

HOLY SHIT, that fucking poster!

Ringo
November 21st, 2014, 6:40 PM
I think the reason for that, if we want to get historical, is how differently the occupations were handled. In Germany you had the Americans, British, and Soviets in their zones with the Americans and British in a standoff with the Red Army so there were things going on there and meanwhile in Japan General Douglas MacArthur was basically a benevolent King.

Yep, exactly.

Defrost
December 4th, 2014, 5:10 PM
http://www.pwponderings.com/2014/12/04/wwnlive-announces-multi-year-deal-to-tour-china/

WWN Enters Multi-Year Agreement to Promote Professional Wrestling Events in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan Next Tour Slated for Spring 2015

Tampa, FL, December 3, 2014: After a very successful initial tour of China, which resulted in four capacity events in Grand Epoch City, Chengdu, Emeishan and Beijing, World Wrestling Network, Inc. (WWN) has entered into a five year agreement with Great-Wall International Sports Management LTD. (Great-Wall) and Transnational Services, Inc. (Transnational) to continue to bring the WWN brand of sports entertainment to China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.

WWN President and CEO Sal Hamaoui stated, “The reaction from our 2014 China Tour has been nothing short of phenomenal. Over 16,000 fans witnessed our events live and millions more have now seen the television airing of our November 16th event from the MasterCard Center in Beijing. This agreement will allow WWN, along with our partners, Great Wall and Transnational, to do multiple tours annually throughout the region.”