PDA

View Full Version : Rank the current gen titles so far

Bad Collin
November 15th, 2014, 9:31 AM
Simple, rank the PS4 or Xbone games you have played so far and update your list as you get more.

1. Shadow of Mordor 9/10 - They copied Assassin's Creed but did it better
2. Destiny 8/10 - Feels like the start of something amazing but does not tell a good story
3. Fifa 14 7/10 - Same old Fifa, better graphics
4. Watch Dogs - 7/10 - Not bad but doesn't get near to living up to the hype
5. Assassin's Creed 4; Black Flag - 6/10 - I enjoyed this for a bit but got bored after about fifteen hours, very samey

I've got the Last of us too but I haven't played it enough to rank it yet.

Peter Griffin
November 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Simple, rank the PS4 or Xbone games you have played so far and update your list as you get more.

3. Fifa 14 7/10 - Same old Fifa, better graphics

Fuck off, the whole game is fucking broken, defending is nigh on impossible and the opposition ai is beyond a joke most of the time, and this is coming from someone who has played every fifa since 2001. Of course EA dont give a fuck as longs as gullible twats like us gobble this shite up like sweets. Considering a switch to Pro Evo in all honesty even if the presentation is non existent at least the football might play like the real game.

Bad Collin
November 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I found it to be the same as always. I got pissed off when attackers started walking through my tackles at higher skill levels because the AI is too shit to beat you any other way. I didn't buy Fifa 15 and i'm with you on PES, it is getting excellent reviews.

Peter Griffin
November 15th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Haha sorry, read the first post as Fifa 15, which is fucking broken as fuck.

The Rogerer
November 15th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes: Five Stars
Made me say "Wow", felt like it completely redefined how MGS was going to work. I'll have to replay more of this and the side missions but I'll give this five stars. Short games with replayability are the ideal thing for me.

Shadow of Mordor: Five stars
Batman meets Assassin's Creed, but bigger and more dynamic than both.

Destiny: Three Stars
Hard to score this one. The game is strange about the way it frames itself, but I keep playing it because ultimately it lets you shoot nice guns all the time. Edit: Helium

Alien Isolation: Two Stars
Great concept and atmosphere, but the game length is about 20 hours when it should be 5, so it absolutely draaaags and the alien just becomes annoying.

Infamous Second Son: Two stars
Very pretty, but mediocre missions, and not much better or different than the first game. Doesn't feel unique at all, just generic open world city game.

Infamous First Light: Three stars
Gets bonus points for being shorter, a better story and a combat mode thingy.

Transistor: One Star
Complete disappointment from Supergiant Games after Bastion. Feels like the complete opposite of Bastion. Just so much writing and art that's all pointless, and unsatisfying gameplay.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition : Four stars
I loved this game on PS3, getting it to run more smoothly is nice and all. Very enjoyable standard shooting, even if it's not very Tomb Raidey.

Sounds like I'm being overly positive with two 5 star ratings but those two games both felt like something new that we haven't seen yet.

Atty
November 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Would we be counting Wii U in this?

Bad Collin
November 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Why not.

Fro
November 15th, 2014, 11:58 AM
1. Mario Kart 8

The Rogerer
November 17th, 2014, 9:46 AM
Downgraded Destiny to 3 stars. I almost gave it 3 stars at the time. Why do you have to grind to get so much helium?

Beefy
April 8th, 2015, 5:04 AM
Ok, I'm going to keep a running chart of PS4 games that I've put any significant time into:

1. Madden 15 - I'm pretty much addicted to this right now. It is teaching me a lot about football which I didn't know, it enables you to build a squad and develop your players like Football Manager does and it combines it with a genuinely enjoyable game engine.

2. The Last of Us - Still a cracking game - one of my favourites of all time, but considering how good the PS3 version was I'm unsure if there was much value in rebuying it for the new console. Don't get me wrong - it does look better but by percentage points. It isn't a huge leap. In fact I've noticed a couple of handling issues which I don't remember having on the original version. I've still got to play the online mode and the DLC both of which may add the extra value I'm looking for.

3. FIFA 15 - It's FIFA innit?

Still to play:
Evolve
GTA V
Alien Isolation
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Alf
April 8th, 2015, 5:08 AM
Alien Isolation will make you poo everywhere. Loved it.

Beefy
April 8th, 2015, 5:10 AM
I'm going to wait until I get a set of headphones before I play that. I reckon that game is going to be all about the level of immersion.

Bad Collin
April 8th, 2015, 5:25 AM
Forgot about this thread

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition 9/10 - I'm 70 hours in, nuff said.
2. Shadow of Mordor 8/10 - They copied Assassin's Creed but did it better. Downgraded to 8 because I got very bored of it quite quickly.
3. Destiny 7/10 - I played it a lot at first but i'm not a social gamer so I lost interest.
4. Last of Us 7/10 - It didn't keep my interest. I know i'm wrong so i'll be back to this at some point.
5. Fifa 14 7/10 - Same old Fifa, better graphics
6. Pro Evo 15 7/10 - I feel quite shallow but the lack of presentation really affected my enjoyment of this
7. Watch Dogs - 7/10 - Not bad but doesn't get near to living up to the hype
8. Assassin's Creed 4; Black Flag - 5/10 - I enjoyed this for a bit but got bored after about fifteen hours, very samey

Kdestiny
April 9th, 2015, 1:27 PM
Beefy, you need to add me so we can play more Madden, Last of Us, and then GTA V

Bad Collin
May 31st, 2015, 11:20 AM
Witcher in at number one, I'm in love with it

1. Witcher III 10/10 - Skyrim with better stories
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition 9/10 - Played it for 120 hours and finished it, best DA game yet.
3. Shadow of Mordor 8/10 - They copied Assassin's Creed but did it better.
4. Destiny 7/10 - I played it a lot at first but i'm not a social gamer so I lost interest.
5. Last of Us 7/10 - It didn't keep my interest. I know i'm wrong so i'll be back to this at some point.
6. Fifa 14 7/10 - Same old Fifa, better graphics
7. Pro Evo 15 7/10 - I feel quite shallow but the lack of presentation really affected my enjoyment of this
8. Watch Dogs - 7/10 - Not bad but doesn't get near to living up to the hype
9. Assassin's Creed 4; Black Flag - 5/10 - I enjoyed this for a bit but got bored after about fifteen hours, very samey

Atty
May 31st, 2015, 1:10 PM
1. Bayonetta 2
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Dragon Age: Inquisition
4. Super Luigi U
5. MLB 15: The Show
6. Super Mario Bros U
7. Shadow of Mordor

Notes: I've only just started Mordor and need some quality time with either more or fewer pain killers in me to judge it. Had it sitting there unopened a couple months and didn't put it in until I was out of a hospital stay. Starting over due to being totally out of it for the first bit. Dragon Age needs massive props. I played it on 360 and liked it a great deal. Got it for PS4 and absolutely loved it. Last of Us, Tomb Raider and Zelda have not been counted due to being past generation games.

Atty
November 14th, 2015, 7:43 PM
Ok, definitely time for an update here. My top games will be no surprise. I decided to throw P.T. on here. I finally got around to it and it's the most a game has freaked me out in at least a decade and probably ever. It's just so subtle and uneasy. That feeling of helplessness that's so hard to achieve without being cheap. Not really sure how to rank it as it was the demo for a now dead game and can't really throw it over something like Dragon Age (that I've dumped over 200 hours into between the 360 and PS4.)

My opinion of Dragon Age has really skyrocketed throughout the year. How well it's maintained my interest is a testament to how well it is designed. It's so wonderfully immersive with the crafting system and customization. My two runs on the two systems have been largely the same character but I haven't lost interest after a year and hundreds of hours. Shadow of Mordor is the opposite, where I loved it while I was playing it but as soon as I was done I lost all interest have have no desire to revisit it.

I merged Mario Bros U and Luigi U because fuck you I want to.

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
2. Arkham Knight
3. Dragon Age Inquisition
4. Bayonetta 2
5. P.T.
6. Super Mario 3D World
7. Super Mario Maker
8. Mario Kart 8
9. MLB 15: The Show
10. Super Mario Bros U/Super Luigi U
11. Assassin's Creed IV
12. WWE 2K16.

Again, left out the likes of The Last of Us, Journey, Tomb Raider, Uncharted or other re-releases. Really thought about tossing TLOU in, but am not sure what would have been my number one: that or MGS. With better structure towards the end, MGS would get the nod, but TLOU was perfect design start to finish.

Bad Collin
June 22nd, 2020, 4:56 AM
I checked in to see what what going down in the British Wrestling thread and thought I would update this with PS5 on the horizon:

1. Witcher III 10/10 - Excellent world building, characters and combat - the stand out game of this generation for me
2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 10/10 - The best graphics, story and music on PS4, just edged out by the Witcher
3. Fallout 4 - 9/10 - The story sucked but the world was really good and I spent ages building bases
4. No Man's Sky - 9/10 - I bought this for £18 after a couple of the free updates and really enjoyed it, they did such a good job of turning the game around
5. Elder Scrolls Online - 9/10 - I'm not much of a social gamer but this MMORPG works really well as a single player game too. There is so much content here.
6. Persona 5 - 8/10 - I got bored of this towards the end, I'm going to go back and finish this but I didn't enjoy it as much as Persona 4 on my PSP
7. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 8/10 - Great game but too much stealth for me to really enjoy it, still haven't finished it.
8. Dragon Age: Inquisition 8/10 - Played it for 120 hours and finished it, best DA game yet.
9. Outer Worlds - 8/10 - I was stop start with this game because of my Fifa ultimate team addiction, i'm looking forward to going back to it now i've kicked the habit.
10. Fifa 7/10 - This is a weird one. Fifa changes more from patch to patch than from game to game so i've lumped them all here. Ultimate team is one of the best ideas in gaming history but it is designed purely to get people to buy Fifa Points. I have been very addicted to this mode for the last two years and I have had a love/hate relationship with it. In short, the gameplay sucks but the presentation and game modes are amazing.
11. Shadow of Mordor 7/10 - I really liked this to start with but got bored and never finished it
12. Destiny 7/10 - I played it a lot at first but i'm not a social gamer so I lost interest.
13. Last of Us 7/10 - It didn't keep my interest. I was sure I would go back and finish it but I never did.
14. Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain - 6/10- Same as Horizon, good story and premise but I don't enjoy games that are mostly stealth.
15. Watch Dogs II - 6/10 - Better than the first but by the time it came out there were much better games available
16. Watch Dogs - 6/10 - Not bad but doesn't get near to living up to the hype
17. Pro Evo 15 6/10 - I feel quite shallow but the lack of presentation really affected my enjoyment of this
18. Final Fantasy XV - 5/10 - Really disapointing, I just didn't care about the characters or story and never finished it
19. Assassin's Creed 4; Black Flag - 5/10 - I enjoyed this for a bit but got bored after about fifteen hours, very samey

wardy
June 22nd, 2020, 6:26 PM
I'd give every game here a 9/10 except FIFA which gets 7.

1. Fallout 4
2. Call of Duty: Warzone
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. Zelda: BOTW
6. Uncharted 4
7. God of War
8. Mario Kart 8
9. Super Mario Odyssey
10. FIFA

Those are the only current gen games I've completed/put a lot of hours into. I never finished MGS V and I'm playing TLOU 2 at the moment so they'll probably get added later.

I probably played Skyrim, The Last of Us and GTA V more than the rest combined but they are previous generation IMO.

Hero!
June 23rd, 2020, 4:15 PM
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Mario Odyssey
3. Spider-man
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Smash Bros Ultimate
6. Tetris 99
7. God of War
8. MGSV: Phantom Pain
9. Celeste
10. Fortnite

yeah i pay mostly nintendo and don't care for games that are just dreary story games.

Gangers
June 26th, 2020, 8:25 AM
Terraria: 9/10 - Insanely addictive and fun, great feeling of getting stronger as you progress and unlock different materials, weapons etc. Looks great, plays great, can be played a number of very distinct ways.

Rocket League: 9/10 - It's cars and trucks whacking a massive football into a goal, how could anyone not be into that? It's awesome, ridiculous fun.

Breath of the Wild: 9/10 - Gorgeous, very playable although a pretty lacklustre ending. Shitloads to do, incredibly varied and interactive. Satisfying combat and a great emphasis on solving problems in any way that seems suitable to you.

Sonic Mania: 8/10 - We finally got the Sonic game we'd been wanting for 20 years and it rocked tits. Only downside is I'd love there to have been more new levels and a couple less 'classic' levels. But maybe they'll do a sequel.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 8/10 - Like with all SSB games, the single player stuff is nothing to write home about but there's a good variety of challenges and game modes to keep you occupied. Still one of the best ways to play with mates.

Overcooked: 8/10 - Ridiculous mayhem co-op cooking game where you will end up screaming at your teammates. Totally batshit fun.

Red Dead Redemption 2: 7/10 - Obviously looks great, amazing scope and detail and a huge amount of gameplay, plus a very engaging and occasionally even moving story. But the controls are incredibly clunky for a game like this, and there's no real challenge to the missions. I can count on my hands the number of times I had to replay a mission and half of those were probably me being impatient in a mission where you have to avoid being seen. The combat is kind of a joke.

FIFA 20: 7/10 - I'm utter bollocks at it but seems fine.

This War Of Mine: 7/10 - Really interesting idea for a game. Sort of a bleak, war-torn version of The Sims. Definitely worth a play but once you figure out a pattern it's easy enough to keep your folks fed, watered and warm.

Fallout 4: 6/10 - Sort of the same as RDR2 really, except the story isn't that memorable. Like with all Bethesda open world games, it's packed full of content and the world itself looks interesting on the face of it, but you can barely interact with it and the characters are wafer thin. Unlike previous Fallout games there's not really any option to play as different styles of character in a meaningful way. And of course it's buggy as hell.

Hero!
June 26th, 2020, 8:46 AM
Dude, I got sonic mania on PSN last year and holy Jesus was it good. I never even like Sonic, but a coworker recommended that I try out Mania. Legit, what a blast of a game. Felt like such a throwback game without feeling dated in any way. The fact that the game was essentially fan-made is something that still blows my mind.

Atty
June 27th, 2020, 11:40 PM
1. Breath of the Wild
2. The Last of Us Part 2
3. MGS V
4. Final Fantasy VII Remake
5. Bayonetta 2
6. Bloodbourne
7. Arkham Knight
8. Dragon Age Inquisition
9. Mario Odyssey
10. Doom or The Fractured But Whole

The Last of Us has a ton of recency bias as I just finished it and need to let it digest. Depending how it sits with me, it could stay at the top or drop mightily. My initial reaction is similar to what I got at the end of Silent Hill 2, which has stuck with me to such a degree that I'd rank that as one of the best games ever made despite gameplay issues. FF7R could easily move up the list over time, depending how the follow ups go.

I left off any remasters from past gens and cut PT off my list from a few years ago as it is just a demo even if it's still brilliant. There's still a lot I haven't really played from this gen. I've had RDR2, God of War and some others sitting on the shelf for years and just haven't had the time to really dive into them. I'd love to throw Fallen Order or Spider-Man on, but really haven't felt the desire to revisit either since beating them and they haven't really stuck with me the way some others have.

Bad Collin
June 29th, 2020, 5:06 AM
It's good to see Inquisition make someone else's list, I really had a lot of fun with that game.

I'm getting close to finishing the Outer Worlds; it's good but unless the ending is incredible I don't see it moving up my list.

I'm going to get God of War, Nier: Automata and Assasins Creed: Odyssey next.

Morrison
June 29th, 2020, 9:49 PM
subnautica

i have a tremendous fear of the vastness of the ocean. my wife will show me a picture or video she stumbles across on reddit or tiktok of some 'oh boy look how deep and scary this is' bullshit and i can't help but shudder and get goosebumps every time. with that said, subnautica is my favorite game of this generation. think i first discovered it by seeing someone streaming it on twitch, and enjoyed the look of the gameplay loop, so i ended up getting it when it had it's full release in january of 2018. the progression of exploring and opening the world up feels so wonderful. starting off popping out of your floating escape pod, seeing the giant flaming wreckage of your crashed spaceship off in the distance and realizing you are completely surrounded by water on all sides, is a great, tense introduction. the baby steps you take in those first couple hours, of only being able to explore the nearby shallows, to powering up your pod to enable crafting, which allows you to fabricate new gear and items that let's you slowly start to expand the boundaries of where you can go, is incredibly satisfying. and the simple story beats provide some direction of tasks without being too overbearing. As fun and exhilarating as exploring this world was, it was also absolutely terrifying. over the course of the first handful of in-game days, as you are getting the hang of the mechanics and beginning to outfit yourself with gear, you're getting these messages from your PDA about the drive core of the crashed ship degrading, building up until it explodes and flooding the immediate area around the ship full of radiation, making it impossible to reach. finally realizing i can craft radiation-proof swim gear, which would allow me to get to the ship and explore it, had me clamoring to find the materials i needed, stock up and head out. i start to make my way through the foggy waters, no longer having my health chipped at by the radiation the closer i get to the ship. the space opens up and the seabed kinda drops down and disappears, leaving me floating in this big expanse of emptiness...

and that's when i first meet a reaper leviathan, who comes swimming aggressively out of the murky depths by the ship. all of the fears i ever felt about our own ocean smacking me in the face at once, and fuck me, so intense. i had known the game had these bigger sea creatures, but this was the first time i'd ever seen one. up until this point, in the shallows around my lifepod, i'd only been running into moderately sized creatures that were either harmless or easy to avoid. the only thing close in scope were these massive, slow moving, passive whale-like monsters that would do these low-frequency echoes, which had an eerie but calming effect. as you move along in the game, you become more and more formidable as far as your ability to move and dive in the water with greater protection (combat is not really a thing in the game), but that still never helped to totally ease the anxiety of reaching a ledge that drops off into dark, mysterious water. i literally stopped playing the game for awhile cause i kinda maxed out all the the quests and things i could do in the areas i had open to me, and needed to start moving deeper into water, and ended up psyching myself out. but i fucking loved it. amazing atmosphere, a simple but engaging story, a satisfying gameplay loop. no other game this generation, or really many games at all, have gotten the kind of visceral reaction out of me that this game managed to, and that's why it always sits at the forefront of my mind when i think about gaming nowadays.

i'll come back with other games, but wanna write up shit for them, so i'm not gonna blow my load with a list in one post.

Ozanne
July 7th, 2020, 3:07 AM
I haven’t finished it yet but I think The Last Of Us 2 might be the best video game I’ve ever played. It’s incredible. So we’ll made, stunning to look at and the story is so very good. I can’t think of a better game.

Atty
July 8th, 2020, 3:32 PM
It's so good and the more time I've thought about it since finishing, the better I think it is.

Peter Griffin
July 8th, 2020, 4:09 PM
Streets of Rage 4 fun fun fun

Bad Collin
October 20th, 2021, 8:48 AM
I have a PS5 and a XBX now so this should be the final list but everything is backward compatible so I have gone back to play some of the games below in 60fps

1. Witcher III 10/10 - Excellent world building, characters and combat - the stand out game of this generation for me
2. Assassins Creed Odyssey 10/10 - As a history fan this was one of my favourite game worlds of all time. I really enjoyed the combat too. I know AC fans hate this game but I never got into the pure stealth AC games.
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 10/10 - The best graphics, story and music on PS4, just edged out by the Witcher
4. Fallout 4 - 9/10 - The story sucked but the world was really good and I spent ages building bases
5. No Man's Sky - 9/10 - I bought this for £18 after a couple of the free updates and really enjoyed it, they did such a good job of turning the game around
6. Elder Scrolls Online - 9/10 - I'm not much of a social gamer but this MMORPG works really well as a single player game too. There is so much content here.
7. Persona 5 - 8/10 - I got bored of this towards the end, I'm going to go back and finish this but I didn't enjoy it as much as Persona 4 on my PSP
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 8/10 - Great game but too much stealth for me to really enjoy it, still haven't finished it.
9. Dragon Age: Inquisition 8/10 - Played it for 120 hours and finished it, best DA game yet.
10. Outer Worlds - 8/10 - I was stop start with this game because of my Fifa ultimate team addiction, i'm looking forward to going back to it now i've kicked the habit.
11. Fifa 7/10 - This is a weird one. Fifa changes more from patch to patch than from game to game so i've lumped them all here. Ultimate team is one of the best ideas in gaming history but it is designed purely to get people to buy Fifa Points. I have been very addicted to this mode for the last two years and I have had a love/hate relationship with it. In short, the gameplay sucks but the presentation and game modes are amazing.
12. Nier; Automata 7/10 - I did play this a lot for a while but lost interest about halfway through
13. Shadow of Mordor 7/10 - I really liked this to start with but got bored and never finished it
14. Destiny 7/10 - I played it a lot at first but i'm not a social gamer so I lost interest.
15. Last of Us 7/10 - It didn't keep my interest. I was sure I would go back and finish it but I never did.
16. Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain - 6/10- Same as Horizon, good story and premise but I don't enjoy games that are mostly stealth.
17. Watch Dogs II - 6/10 - Better than the first but by the time it came out there were much better games available. I got back into this recently and was going to move it up the list but something happened in the story which really annoyed me and I haven't gone back to it.
18. Watch Dogs - 6/10 - Not bad but doesn't get near to living up to the hype
19. Pro Evo 15 6/10 - I feel quite shallow but the lack of presentation really affected my enjoyment of this
20. Final Fantasy XV - 5/10 - Really disapointing, I just didn't care about the characters or story and never finished it
21. Assassin's Creed 4; Black Flag - 5/10 - I enjoyed this for a bit but got bored after about fifteen hours, very samey

Bert
October 20th, 2021, 9:10 AM
I'm waiting for the PS5 version of Witcher 3 which last I heard was coming this year.

Persona 4 Golden was on Vita. Persona 3 Portable was on PSP. I tried to get into Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royale but neither hooked me the way Persona 4 Golden on Vita did.

Bad Collin
October 20th, 2021, 4:51 PM
Yes, of course PSP was out 15 years ago. What is it about Persona 5 that makes it hard to get into? I could never work it out.

Witcher 3 PS5 version just got bumped to late 2022 :(

Bert
October 20th, 2021, 5:24 PM
Yes, of course PSP was out 15 years ago. What is it about Persona 5 that makes it hard to get into? I could never work it out.

Witcher 3 PS5 version just got bumped to late 2022 :(

I just feel like I couldn't get attached to the characters the same way I could Yu, Yukiko, Chie, Rise, etc from Persona 4. There was stuff they added in Persona 5 and Royale that made me want to like it, but I just never got hooked long enough to stay with it.

I just saw that and posted it in the news thread. Cyberpunk too. Cyberpunk q1, Witcher 3 q2. That really sucks. I was looking forward to playing the best version of Witcher 3.