PDA

View Full Version : JUST FOR FUN: Predict England's starting XI for the 2018 World Cup

turdpower
October 12th, 2014, 4:33 PM
Or if England don't make it, they're starting XI for the first fixture after the 2018 World Cup. Not necessarily who you WANT it to be, but who you THINK it will be.

2 points for every player you get in the XI
1 point if the player is in the squad but not the XI

Simon
October 12th, 2014, 6:24 PM
Stfu

Simon
October 12th, 2014, 6:25 PM
Hart
Shaw
Cahill
Stones
Walker
Wilshere
Henderson
Chamberlain
Sterling
Barkley
Sturridge

Bad Collin
October 12th, 2014, 6:26 PM
Hart

Stones - Cahill (c) - Chambers - Shaw

Henderson - Will Hughes - Barkley

Walcott - Berahino - Sterling

MikeHunt
October 12th, 2014, 6:36 PM
No Rooney lol. Who the fuck are yous kidding?

Andy
October 12th, 2014, 7:28 PM
4-3-3

Hart, Clyne, Chambers, Stones, Gibbs, Wilshere, Henderson (c), Ox, Sterling, Welbeck, Sturridge

MikeHunt
October 12th, 2014, 7:52 PM
Hahahahahahaha! Rooney will be playing and will be fucking captain 100000000%

Andy
October 12th, 2014, 8:00 PM
Can't see it if his form continues to decline. I'm predicting another crap tournament in France then he'll either get left out completely , retire or be used from the bench.

Gary J
October 13th, 2014, 4:10 AM
Hart (c)

Chambers - Cahill - Jones - Gibbs

Sterling - Henderson - Barkley - Chamberlain

Sturridge - Welbeck

Gary J
October 13th, 2014, 4:20 AM
Hopefully Chambers will have learnt to actually stay on his feet by then as the amount of reckless slides he commits in a game at the moment he's been lucky to escape being sent off. Clyne should be the right back but unless he gets a big move I can see him being ignored.

I also think you are all kidding yourself for not putting Phil Jones in your central defence. He's a permanent fixture now even when he's not been playing well it's obvious Roy rates him and sees him as his main CB.

RFF Champ
October 13th, 2014, 4:28 AM
You think Roy will still be there in 4 years Gary?

Gary J
October 13th, 2014, 4:31 AM
Yeah I think he will I think this is the job he has always wanted and he'll be 70 by then I think. So unless we get completely shown up at Euro 2016 I can see him retiring after the World Cup.

RFF Champ
October 13th, 2014, 4:37 AM
Butland - Garbutt, Jones, Cahill, Chambers - Henderson, Ward-Prowse, Poyet - Roberts, Sturridge, Sterling

Andy
October 13th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Gary, Chambers is 19 and hasn't hit 50 senior games yet, give him a break.

turdpower
October 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Hart

Jones
Chambers
Shaw
Stones

Henderson
Barkley
Sterling
Wilshere

Rooney
Sturridge

turdpower
October 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Stfu

The last thread caused JIJ to go a bit mad and make a thread like this but in 2072. It was fairly brilliant tbh.

TraXX
October 13th, 2014, 2:03 PM
Hart

Walker
Cahill
Jones
Shaw

Henderson
Barkley
Wilshere

Sterling
Rooney
Sturridge

Rest of Squad:

Forster
Butland

Chambers
Stones
Gibbs

The Ox
Shelvey
Ward-Prowse
Milner

Redmond
Welbeck
Rodriguez

What do I win? :wired:

MMH
October 13th, 2014, 2:07 PM
Brendan Galloway will be in the squad by then.

With any luck he will be in ours soon too...

Gary J
October 13th, 2014, 4:25 PM
Gary, Chambers is 19 and hasn't hit 50 senior games yet, give him a break.

Don't be so sensitive all I said is I hope that in 4 years time he's learnt that good defenders stay on their feet because at the moment that is a glaring weakness in his game or it at least in the three games I've seen Arsenal play this season (Leicester , Everton and Chelsea)

Simon
October 14th, 2014, 5:35 AM
The last thread caused JIJ to go a bit mad and make a thread like this but in 2072. It was fairly brilliant tbh.

I wasn't actually telling you to stfu I just double-posted :ashamed:

Beefy
October 14th, 2014, 6:03 AM
Dan Bentley will be in goal. Wayne Rooney will defnitely be up front.

Simon
October 14th, 2014, 6:17 AM
I'm not convinced Rooney will still be there. It seems pretty clear-cut that he's on his way down (albeit not as quickly as some people make out) - there are already calls (wrongly IMO) for him to be dropped from time to time, and in four years those calls will probably be louder with top players like Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge playing in the positions he plays. I doubt he will retire from international duty while still being picked regularly, but I can see him being sidelined before 2018 and eventually giving it up having broken the goalscoring record and probably the caps record too.

Guessing four years into the future is almost a waste of time though, there are players we've never heard of now that will go to that tournament. Luke Shaw went to the last World Cup and was 14 when turdy did the thread in 2010.

Romford Pele
October 14th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Hart
Clyne
Stones
Cahill
Shaw

Wilshire
Henderson
Barkley

Sturridge
Wellbeck
Sterling

turdpower
October 15th, 2014, 5:23 AM
I'm not convinced Rooney will still be there. It seems pretty clear-cut that he's on his way down (albeit not as quickly as some people make out) - there are already calls (wrongly IMO) for him to be dropped from time to time, and in four years those calls will probably be louder with top players like Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge playing in the positions he plays. I doubt he will retire from international duty while still being picked regularly, but I can see him being sidelined before 2018 and eventually giving it up having broken the goalscoring record and probably the caps record too.

Guessing four years into the future is almost a waste of time though, there are players we've never heard of now that will go to that tournament. Luke Shaw went to the last World Cup and was 14 when turdy did the thread in 2010.

That's what makes it so bloody fun Simon.

Although I doubt there will be players we haven't heard of in the starting XI. It was slightly different 4 years ago when we had a much older team.

Simon
October 15th, 2014, 5:34 AM
GK: Anton Blofeld
DL: Gregory Rance-Feldman
DC: Liam Flott
DC: Eduardo Puddlesuck
DR: Hayden Pennyfeather
MC: Warren Fisting
MC: Quincy Ince
MC: Leamington Carr
ML: Ken Theft
MR: Mark Budget
FC: Jeff Umbongo-Congo

Beefy
October 15th, 2014, 5:39 AM
I'd love England to have a player called Anton Blofeld.

That team does remind me of what a CM94 England side typically looked like by 2014. Just with less Jason Le Tissier.

turdpower
October 15th, 2014, 5:41 AM
Brooklyn Beckham

Simon
October 15th, 2014, 5:43 AM
I'd love England to have a player called Anton Blofeld.

That team does remind me of what a CM94 England side typically looked like by 2014. Just with less Jason Le Tissier.

I always remember Premier Manager '98 on PS1, they didn't put much thought into their random name generator with no differentiation between nationalities or even acknowledgement of the Brazilian propensity to use single-name nicknames. So my star striker for the best part of a decade with Tottenham was an Englishman known simply as "Geoff"

Beefy
October 15th, 2014, 5:44 AM
haha

Beefy
February 10th, 2015, 9:17 AM
We should have a general England thread really.

Definitely not getting ahead of myself thinking we'll win anything, obviously, but it is nice to see so many genuinely talented attacking options for England at the moment. Not saying that any of them are World-beaters but we look like a side who could cause teams bother going forward . Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Sterling, Walcott, Ings, Austin and Kane as well as the big lads like Carroll and Lambert (I'd have Crouch at the minute) as options.

It isn't Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Collymore, Ferdinand & Owen and we don't have too many options in a lot of other positions but I'm quietly optimistic about England at the moment.

Simon
February 10th, 2015, 9:30 AM
It's nice to see that we've finally got some good attacking players - not just the strikers you've mentioned but the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Lallana too. But the downside is that our once fantastic defensive line-up is now actually quite crap.

Our first-choice back four (I would say?) is Baines-Jagielka-Cahill-Clyne, and only Clyne has been any good this season. More worryingly, there doesn't seem to be much coming through in terms of centre backs at all. Jones and Smalling are just fundamentally not good, Caulker hasn't progressed as expected, Chambers hasn't impressed me in the slightest either, Dier is very raw and has a lot to learn. Stones is possibly the exception to that but still has a long way to go as well. Compare that to six-eight years ago when the likes of Campbell, King, Carragher, Brown and others were unable to get a game. Our defensive depth in those times was even better than the striker depth in the 90s.

And you left out Cole from your list - never looked good enough at international level but probably deserved more of a chance given his PL record. Could possibly the same about Phillips, and Le Tissier although he didn't fail at international level, just wasn't given a chance.

It's crazy that Crouch on his own got as many international goals as Fowler, Wright, Collymore, Le Tissier, Cole, Ferdinand and Phillips combined (22).

Beefy
February 10th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Yeah I somehow forgot Andy Cole and my favourite footballer of all time Matt Le Tissier.

Plus Chris Bloody Armstrong.

I think we're ok at fullback. Baines and Gibbs are both capable and I like the look of Ryan Bertrand now so we're well set at left back and there's a number of players who can play right back as well. I have low standards when it comes to right back (it is my theory that no one plays right back unless they're not good enough or tall enough to play anywhere else on the pitch) but we have a few players who can play there. Centre half is a real worry plus I'd like a couple of ball-winners in midfield.

Andy
February 10th, 2015, 1:26 PM
Kane has been getting the hype and rightfully so but I think Ings really looks a top player too.

MMH
February 10th, 2015, 1:30 PM
It's nice to see that we've finally got some good attacking players - not just the strikers you've mentioned but the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Lallana too. But the downside is that our once fantastic defensive line-up is now actually quite crap.

Our first-choice back four (I would say?) is Baines-Jagielka-Cahill-Clyne, and only Clyne has been any good this season. More worryingly, there doesn't seem to be much coming through in terms of centre backs at all. Jones and Smalling are just fundamentally not good, Caulker hasn't progressed as expected, Chambers hasn't impressed me in the slightest either, Dier is very raw and has a lot to learn. Stones is possibly the exception to that but still has a long way to go as well. Compare that to six-eight years ago when the likes of Campbell, King, Carragher, Brown and others were unable to get a game. Our defensive depth in those times was even better than the striker depth in the 90s.

And you left out Cole from your list - never looked good enough at international level but probably deserved more of a chance given his PL record. Could possibly the same about Phillips, and Le Tissier although he didn't fail at international level, just wasn't given a chance.

It's crazy that Crouch on his own got as many international goals as Fowler, Wright, Collymore, Le Tissier, Cole, Ferdinand and Phillips combined (22).

Honestly Stones is ready now. Fantastic player and our best defender easily.

MikeHunt
February 10th, 2015, 1:31 PM
11 overhyped, over paid ponces.

MMH
February 10th, 2015, 1:33 PM
I always remember Premier Manager '98 on PS1, they didn't put much thought into their random name generator with no differentiation between nationalities or even acknowledgement of the Brazilian propensity to use single-name nicknames. So my star striker for the best part of a decade with Tottenham was an Englishman known simply as "Geoff"

My game of Champo went a bit haywire and I had a Richard :; playing for me. I just called him Richard Dotdot.

turdpower
March 6th, 2015, 2:36 PM
For some reason, Alan Shearer has had a go at picking the 2022 team.

Woodman

Shaw
Dier
Stones
Clyne

Sterling
Barkley
Ward-Prowse
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Kane
Berahino

Simon
May 21st, 2018, 7:48 AM
Hart
Shaw
Cahill
Stones
Walker
Wilshere
Henderson
Chamberlain
Sterling
Barkley
Sturridge

6 out of 11, not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

No Rooney lol. Who the fuck are yous kidding?

:ashamed:

- - - Updated - - -

Can't see it if his form continues to decline. I'm predicting another crap tournament in France then he'll either get left out completely , retire or be used from the bench.

:ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed:

- - - Updated - - -

Butland - Garbutt, Jones, Cahill, Chambers - Henderson, Ward-Prowse, Poyet - Roberts, Sturridge, Sterling

Some wild shouts there.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan Bentley will be in goal. Wayne Rooney will defnitely be up front.

:ashamed:

- - - Updated - - -

I am a fucking legend. If he'd stuck around a few more games to become the all-time caps record holder that would have been the perfect prediction.

The Rosk
May 21st, 2018, 7:51 AM
Pickford, Trippier, Walker, Stones, Cahill, Rose, Henderson, Dier, Sterling, Alli, Kane.

Fucking hell I am so good.

Torn
May 22nd, 2018, 6:47 AM
Dan Bentley should be in goal to be fair to Beefy

Torn
May 22nd, 2018, 6:51 AM
And despite Alex's wild Poyet and Garbutt shouts his Butland pick who he has loved for a long time was decent

TraXX
May 27th, 2018, 5:29 AM
Hart

Walker
Cahill
Jones
Shaw

Henderson
Barkley
Wilshere

Sterling
Rooney
Sturridge

Rest of Squad:

Forster
Butland

Chambers
Stones
Gibbs

The Ox
Shelvey
Ward-Prowse
Milner

Redmond
Welbeck
Rodriguez

What do I win? :wired:
You win nothing you fucking moron...

turdpower
September 19th, 2023, 6:10 PM
For some reason, Alan Shearer has had a go at picking the 2022 team.

Woodman

Shaw
Dier
Stones
Clyne

Sterling
Barkley
Ward-Prowse
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Kane
Berahino

I wish I knew where this was from, because I've tried to google it and found nothing.

Donald
September 20th, 2023, 4:20 PM
Fucking hell I am so good.

You're so good you disappeared.

turdpower
September 20th, 2023, 7:15 PM
You're literally replying to a deleted account.