PDA

View Full Version : Gaming heaphones

Alf
October 10th, 2014, 9:18 AM
Hello chaps,

I live in a flat-share with paper thing walls so I can't really get away with blasting my TV out, so I'm looking for a good set of gaming headphones that will work with my PS4 (if they work with PS3 and Xbox360 too, then great). Price wise I'm looking to throw no more than £100 at them.

I'm not even sure what features I should be looking out for... 5.1 I suppose? No idea. Doesn't have to be wireless either, just has to have a long enough lead.

Anyway, throw some recommendations at me.

Pablo Diablo
October 10th, 2014, 2:46 PM
Apparently the official Sony ones are pretty good.

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/accessories/audio/gold-wireless-stereo-headset/

I'm thinking of getting them myself.

Pete Cash
October 10th, 2014, 3:59 PM
I have a pair of sennheiser 558s which I think I paid about 150 au for iirc. They are very good and have lasted me years. One issue is that it comes equipped with a 6 5mm plug and the 3.5mm adapter plug is comically huge so I've got to plug it into the headphone out plug in my speakers rather than the port on the case. Still they are the best midrange headphones I've owned.

Alf
November 27th, 2014, 8:44 AM
Pabs, did you buy the playstation ones? Any good? They are cheap cheap on Amazon at the mo.

Pablo Diablo
November 27th, 2014, 8:50 AM
I didn't end up getting them yet. I'm anticipating them as a Christmas gift. I was by someone who has them though and I heard the audio from it. Sounded pretty good. Not sure how the mic works or how it feels long term.

Alf
December 3rd, 2014, 10:10 AM
I got a pair and to be honest they aren't much better than the headphones I have already. The surround sound is ok, but not massively better than good stereo. Overall I found the sound to be quite shallow compared to my current set.

Hmmm... might try a more expensive pair.

The Rogerer
December 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
Do they connect via bluetooth to the PS4 or something, is that why people are going nuts for them?

I had some cheap arse turtle beaches one that was specfically set up for the 360 but it had so many wires I felt like I was in the ICU.

Pablo Diablo
December 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
Yeah they're wireless. Can also use on PC I've read. I had a headset before but the shitton of wires turned me right off.

Alf
December 3rd, 2014, 1:09 PM
Yup, wireless with a usb dongle. Comfortable and decent quality sound. I reckon if you play through your TV speakers now you'd be utterly blown away, but I've already got decent headphones and the quality isn't quite as rounded.

The Rogerer
December 3rd, 2014, 1:16 PM
I have an old hi-fi connected to my TV because flatscreen speakers are SHIT and I'm spoiled.

Ugh, dongle. Is that the official ones? I don't know why the dongle annoys me so much.

Alf
December 3rd, 2014, 1:29 PM
It's a usb dongle that plugs into your PS4. Why are you so mental?

The Rogerer
December 3rd, 2014, 2:36 PM
I had PS3 dongles that would default to controller 1 and started a hatred of dongles. Then I wonder, Playstation eye, is that a USB socket? Controller? There's only two. Can't believe there's only two holes. Two holes

Beefy
April 8th, 2015, 4:38 AM
Anyone got the official Sony PS 2.0 heatset? I've heard it is pretty good and the price is very decent

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B00I8S4E1C

Alf
April 8th, 2015, 4:59 AM
I tried them but the sound was quite thin to me. It comes down to what type of sound you like and expect. I like substance. I like bass and deep boomy explosions. These are quite thin and light to my ears. The surround sound effect (and it is just an effect) is actually pretty impressive, especially in conveying distance. I'd say it's a better effect than on most virtual surround sound solutions.

I think if you've never gamed with half decent headphones on before they'll likely blow your mind. Buy them off amazon. If you don't like them, send them back.

I went a bit mental over this very subject over christmas and ended up getting myself a pair of really good stereo headphones... Philips Fidelio x1. They are bloody lush.

P.s Read the thread you animal, just had a look a couple of posts up and we are talking about them.

Beefy
April 8th, 2015, 5:08 AM
I had a fairly decent pair of Turtle Beach headphones for the PS3 (PX3s I think), I like the idea of not spending quite as much this gen though hence the 2.0s are quite appealing.

Do you use those headphones for anything else Alf?

Jay
April 8th, 2015, 5:11 AM
I've got them. I have a pair of Astro A40's as well, and while the Sony's don't sound quite as good, they're wireless and also about £100 cheaper. Like Alf said, they sound really impressive, especially for the money.

The only annoying thing is you have to connect the headphones to your PS4 and go into the headset App to change sound profiles. They're a number of generic ones like shooter, adventure, etc., however a number of games have their own official sound profile that you can use. It's not that big of a deal, but something to keep in mind to make sure you're getting the most of them.

They're a shade under £60 at GameStop as well. Everywhere else seem to have put their prices up, as they were that price pretty much everywhere when I bought them about nine months ago.

Alf
April 8th, 2015, 6:14 AM
I had a fairly decent pair of Turtle Beach headphones for the PS3 (PX3s I think), I like the idea of not spending quite as much this gen though hence the 2.0s are quite appealing.

Do you use those headphones for anything else Alf?

Movies and Music. They are absolute beauties.

Pablo Diablo
April 8th, 2015, 7:57 AM
Anyone got the official Sony PS 2.0 heatset? I've heard it is pretty good and the price is very decent

Those are the ones that I use. Although I never mess around with the settings, granted that's because I mainly use them for FIFA.

The Rick
April 8th, 2015, 8:38 PM

I have the first edition blutooth one that I was using with my PS3. It still works pretty well with the PS4. Eventually I'll upgrade, but I'm fine for now.

Grimario
April 8th, 2015, 8:49 PM
Those are the ones that I use. Although I never mess around with the settings, granted that's because I mainly use them for FIFA.

We should play again before my Secret Santa PS+ subscription runs out. I need to hear you swear at whatever it is you swear at when I run into the goalkeeper, Reech passes out for a goal kick or you dribble it out for a throw in.

Pablo Diablo
April 8th, 2015, 9:08 PM
To be fair I never swear when any human messes up. Only when me or the AI fuck it up.