PDA

View Full Version : TNA will have lasted longer than WCW

Defrost
August 20th, 2014, 9:21 PM
Dixie said Spike agreed to have Impact run on their channel through the end of the year. That will mean that TNA is guaranteed to live longer than WCW. :\

Mills
August 20th, 2014, 9:30 PM
Ok.....

JRSlim21
August 20th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Weird fact. I think that's the best way to look at it.

Honey_Badger
August 20th, 2014, 11:24 PM
When TNA initially went on the air it was a quality product. After a while, it was stable because it offered violence and a "hardcore-new age" style in a PG WWE world. Now it just sucks.

StoneColdWWE316
August 21st, 2014, 12:21 AM
Dixie said Spike agreed to have Impact run on their channel through the end of the year. That will mean that TNA is guaranteed to live longer than WCW. :\

I miss WCW at times.

Id rather have them as the #2 behind WWE.

Matthew
August 21st, 2014, 12:34 AM
that isn't even possible

you can't miss tna

it is still here

StoneColdWWE316
August 21st, 2014, 1:36 AM
Fixed.

Happy now? My mistake

Panther52
August 21st, 2014, 1:39 AM

If you're going by just the name sure. but really it was just a name change from the old NWA which was over 100 years old. so nope. They sold the rights to the NWA name, but kept it's history and vid library with WCW.

Defrost
August 21st, 2014, 2:01 AM
JCP became WCW in October 1988. The only bits of history and video WCW owned was that which JCP owned.

LOCONUT
August 21st, 2014, 2:38 AM
In fairness, JCP was the most commercially successful NWA run until the WCW takeover. From about 1985 to WCW, NWA was epic and the entire TV roster became WCW.

G-Fresh
August 21st, 2014, 2:51 AM
1987-1990 was amazing.

LOCONUT
August 21st, 2014, 3:04 AM
AMAZING

OD50
August 21st, 2014, 3:46 PM
Yeah.

Nash Diesel
August 21st, 2014, 3:52 PM
Let's just remember that the NWA was not a promotion, but a group of promotions.

LOCONUT
August 21st, 2014, 7:55 PM
let's just remember that the NWA we are talking about here was most certainly a promotion.

virms
August 21st, 2014, 8:15 PM
Bit early to be drunk hollywood.

LOCONUT
August 21st, 2014, 9:56 PM
I haven't had a drink in almost 2 years.

Version 6
August 21st, 2014, 9:59 PM
I haven't had a drink in almost 2 years.

This seems like good thread fodder.

Quick, to The Asylum.

Panther52
August 22nd, 2014, 2:58 AM
In fairness, JCP was the most commercially successful NWA run until the WCW takeover. From about 1985 to WCW, NWA was epic and the entire TV roster became WCW.
this and the fact that pretty much everyone runs the NWA title lineage through WCW.

Bill Casey
August 22nd, 2014, 5:01 AM
TNA will have lasted longer than WCW because it's being funded by a multi-billionaire who was less stupid with his money than Ted Turner...
I guess being less stupid with your money than Ted Turner could be seen as an accomplishment...

son_of_foley
August 22nd, 2014, 5:17 AM
I'll be honest Bill I find it a bit hard to describe multi-billionaires as being stupid with money. If it's not been direct inheritance anyway

JRSlim21
August 22nd, 2014, 7:15 AM
If Turner didn't have people in play that put less emphasis on wrestling on Turner stations, WCW would've lasted longer. Regardless of opinion towards the end, it was a shit product that people (including me) still watched that had some promise if booked properly.

Nash Diesel
August 22nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Only a few times in the 13 years I watched NWA/WCW did I tune in for the storylines. I still tuned in to watch the wrestling, even at the end, because they've always had a roster that could go and be entertaining. Sure they suffered throughout the years with terrible characters, storylines, but no company has been spotless. The WWF had their share of crap during the Attitude Era, but they just had a more appealing product as well as WCW having internal issues that helped put them out for good. It was unfortunate, but it is what it is. I'll always wonder what would have happened if Bischoff and his backers just had a little more faith and maybe WCW could have wound up on another station and what would have happened then?

Sad to hear that ODB is now gone from TNA. Made me wonder where that Brittney chick went.

WizoOzz
August 22nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
Man, I miss Jim Crockett Promotions. If there was one thing that would get a kid all worked up, it would be seeing Ric Flair come just a nun's hair away from losing that belt only to cheat and win.

That being said, WCW post JCP was a pale comparison. TNA, even at its peak, wasn't anywhere near as great as JCP's Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling.

Donald
August 22nd, 2014, 10:31 PM
ODB had huge tits but unfortunately nothing else.

Nash Diesel
August 22nd, 2014, 10:42 PM
She was a decent brawler and I think she was very original and had a shit load of potential that they wasted with dumbass storylines like Cody Deener and that horrid Tara feud.

StoneColdWWE316
August 23rd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Remember that whole deal where ODB won the KOs Title and Cody Deaner thought he was the Champion? So stupid,Vince Russo at his best or worst.

OD50
August 23rd, 2014, 3:54 AM
ODB and EY being the Knockouts tag-team champs was a good one too.

G-Fresh
August 23rd, 2014, 1:24 PM
I'm like fuck her. Biter ass hoe. Wu-Tang for life, bitch.

Bill Casey
August 23rd, 2014, 10:02 PM
ODB was actually talented, but was a victim of WWE's vapid obsession with Divas' looks, and Vince Russo's obsession with overwritten garbage...

The Rogerer
August 24th, 2014, 7:46 AM
Even with the most lowbrow booking wouldn't you want half of your women to be 'ugly' so that people will root for the hot one?

ReDPath
August 24th, 2014, 8:07 AM
TNA ain't got shit on WCW.

That said, no matter what era of the 90s wrestling it was...I always felt it went like this

1. WWF - Regardless of early/mid/late 90s era
2. ECW - Cutting edge stuff
3. WCW - Great wrestling program, but after awhile, it just felt so meh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vB3Dtr8tTk

The Rogerer
August 24th, 2014, 11:23 AM
4. Tits 'n' Ass Wrestling

G-Fresh
August 24th, 2014, 8:45 PM
In WCWs last days JCW was doing better than they were.

StoneColdWWE316
August 25th, 2014, 12:07 AM
I thought WCW at the beginning of 2001 had turned it around. Its just to bad it was too late to save it.

Nash Diesel
August 25th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Even with the most lowbrow booking wouldn't you want half of your women to be 'ugly' so that people will root for the hot one?

Doesn't always work that way.

In WCWs last days JCW was doing better than they were.

Evil Dead should've had a run in WCW.

I thought WCW at the beginning of 2001 had turned it around. Its just to bad it was too late to save it.

Exactly, they were already on the chopping block and it was unfortunate because they were still churning out solid wrestling and had a fresh look going with so many young talents coming into the picture within the last year or so.

Donald
August 25th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I think I'm so used to WWE that I think every other promotion has sucked and will always suck. They've brainwashed me. Damn you Vince.

AudioDynamite
August 25th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Apparently TNA wants a better deal than what VELOCITY can give them..........maybe if they put out a better product they would get the offers.

Nash Diesel
August 25th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I think I'm so used to WWE that I think every other promotion has sucked and will always suck. They've brainwashed me. Damn you Vince.

This is what happens when the mainstream doesn't have variety lol. It gets beat into your head that everyone else must have sucked or does suck because they're not on the WWE level.

OD50
August 25th, 2014, 2:41 PM
I'm glad that I had tons of variety available when I started to watch wrestling. Talking about the WWF, NWA/JCP, Stampede, the AWA and various other promotions like POWW and GLOWW. Also got to watch PWTW which showed highlights from places like Florida, Memphis (CWA), WWC and World Class. Made me appreciate all kinds of different stuff.

And I guess that VELOCITY deal is better than nothing. Let's see what happens.

Nash Diesel
August 25th, 2014, 2:53 PM
I was reading an article on Yahoo about this and they talked about how when ECW lost their TNN deal there was interest from Fox Sports Net to have ECW air during the early afternoon for 30 minutes. Dreamer said that ECW could've stuck around longer, but Heyman didn't feel like it was worth it because they'd be losing visibility, they'd be getting less money and making even less so he thought it was a shit deal and didn't go through with it. To me that sounds like the Velocity deal, where TNA would be losing major visibility and have to spend way more than they'd be making.

You're right man, I'm 32, I was a young kid in the 80's, teen in the 90's, there was a lot of wrestling out there. Sadly, living in Des Moines, IA, I still only had access to the big 2 (WWF and NWA/WCW) and then the 3rd promotion would be like AWA on ESPN, then when they bounced I had sattelite in 96 so I was able to see ECW here and there on the Sunshine Network. Pro wrestling mags kept me in the loop, which I guess you could say the internet is what keeps people in the loop nowadays, even more than when we were growing up.