PDA

View Full Version : Best Games from the 7th Generation: Discussion

The Rick
July 25th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Best Games of the 7th Console Generation

http://chomponthisgaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/7th-gen-consoles.jpg

We are advancing onto the next generation of consoles. So I think it is time we take a look back at the Best Games from the 7th console generation. These consoles include Wii, Xbox360, and Playstation 3.

Please submit your list of the Top 15 games from the 7th console generation via Private Message. Please specify which console your game appeared on. Some titles are the same across the consoles, and some are not. Lists will be due September 8th after Monday Night Raw.

Each sports title year(FIFAs Maddens, etc..), and different iterations of fighting games(Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs Capcom, etc...) will be counted as separate entries. HD remasters and compilations are fair game, but keep in mind that they can cannibalize other single titles. It is up to you guys to defend, and discuss your favorite games. It is also up to you to politic for the games you feel like are being overlooked.

Have fun.

Kdestiny
July 26th, 2014, 12:00 AM
My goodness, I am so in this.

Atty
July 26th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Fuck yeah!

Mass Effect is going to be the tricky one in writing my list, as they've pretty much all merged into one in my mind as my last few runs have been start to finish (1 to the fixed ending of 3.) Arkham Asylum and City will rank high on mine, as will Portal 2, BioShock, BioShock Infinite, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted(s), The Last of Us, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy 2, Dead Space 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, South Park, Dragon Age Origins, Halo(s)...

Ok, I see the first problem. I have more games that I consider for my top five than total spots on the list. :panic:

This should be fun. And thank you for making the deadline over a month off. Gives me time to argue Mass Effect order for me.

LOCONUT
July 26th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Shit. Forgot the batman games on my list...

The_Mike
July 26th, 2014, 12:38 AM
I don't think I even played 15 different console games from the 7th generation. I got a Wii and eventually a PS3 but pretty much checked out. RDR was great, very little else really left an impression. This was when I joined the PC master race I suppose.

The Doc
July 26th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Can we just say Batman Arkham City and walk away?

LOCONUT
July 26th, 2014, 1:17 AM
No

Kdestiny
July 26th, 2014, 1:21 AM
No

The Doc
July 26th, 2014, 1:51 AM
I see. The drugs are strong in this joint.

Fro
July 26th, 2014, 2:00 AM
I expect GTA V will win over Batman

Kdestiny
July 26th, 2014, 2:02 AM
Both will be in top 10, but not 5 for me

The Rick
July 26th, 2014, 2:14 AM
I expect GTA V will win over Batman

Possibly, but I fell out of love for GTA V. I don't know what it was.

This will absolutely be in my top 3, and possibly my #1
http://vgboxart.com/boxes/PS3/30369-modern-warfare-2.jpg?t=1245579918

I put 40 days into that game. No hack, or bullshit 40 days. My K/D about 1.0. I never cared about the K/D, because I liked playing the objective games. I was the gofer on the CTF, King of the Hill and Domination games. The weapons were so great. I loved the M16 just as much as the P90s, and the AUGHBar. I loved the rage people had for the game. From "campers" to "tubers" to the "javelin jackholes", everyone seemed to have a type of player they hated.

I had way too many great moments in that game to ignore it. So many laughs had with friends, and so many adrenaline filled moments. I didn't even beat the single player until after I had had the game for 4 months. I was hooked on the multi-player, and grew to love every map. I'm still done with Call of Duty for the most part, but this was my favorite of the whole series. Possibly my favorite game of the whole generation.

Kdestiny
July 26th, 2014, 2:30 AM
I feel it went downhill for COD after that game

The Rick
July 26th, 2014, 2:33 AM
Shit. Forgot the batman games on my list...

So do you want me to disregard your submission?

LOCONUT
July 26th, 2014, 4:19 AM
No

Mills
July 26th, 2014, 4:38 AM
I may get a list together, some love for Wii sports is desperately needed. Such an amazing game

Dave
July 26th, 2014, 8:30 AM
Arkham Asylum was the 1st game i got 1000GS on, and Arkham City was the first I got over 1000GS on. Still not finished GTAV, so I know that the Batman games will be ahead of it.

Rock Band 3 will probably be high on my list. It was the climax of the music game genre and was so much fun to play.

Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Portal 2, Saints Row: The Third, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Lego Star Wars, Dead Space, Dead Rising, Burnout Revenge will also all probably feature, somewhat in that order.

Atty
July 26th, 2014, 9:55 AM
Can we just say Batman Arkham City and walk away?

It's going to be in my top five—very probably top three—but I'm going to weigh how to rank the Mass Effects. I hold them so together as one that, depending on my mood, I could well have them taking up the top three spot if I'm thinking of them as one. If I bump two of them down the list, it would be something like 1. Portal 2, 2. a Mass Effect, 3. Arkham City.

I forgot Ass Creed 2 and Brotherhood on my short list up there. And Limbo. And Journey.

If Asylum had a better end game and if the controls were as smooth as City, there would be no discussion with me for number one. It's one of those games that's so amazingly close to Portal perfection that it upsets me that it's hard to go back to after City.

The Rick
July 26th, 2014, 11:18 AM
So where do all of these games go?

Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Journey
Sound Shapes
Pac-Man Championship Edition: DX
Little Big Planet(1 or 2)
Guacamelee!(Lucha wrestling crossed with Super Metriod. The best game I don't think most on here played)
Infamous 2
GTA V
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Portal 2
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Demon Souls
RockSmith
Skyrim
Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (yea I'm considering putting the compilation on my list)
Borderlands 2
Peggle
The Orange Box
Burnout Paradice
Modern Warfare 2

and this is just the PS3 list.

LOCONUT
July 26th, 2014, 2:36 PM
Don't forget Tomb Raider you pricks.

LOCONUT
July 26th, 2014, 2:37 PM
Skyrim I have had since I got my PS3 and have never played it..

Atty
July 26th, 2014, 3:19 PM

Oh Jebus, yes. I got that the week it came out and didn't open it for a year. When I finally played it, I was massively impressed. Never was big into the other Tomb Raiders, but this one was a phenomenal platformer. I was absolutely blown away with how much I liked it. Only quibble was QTEs, but that's true of near every game this gen.

The Doc
July 26th, 2014, 5:19 PM
Somehow I forgot Mario Galaxy was part of this generation. Holy shit.

But judging from the two lists I'm not the only person who hears 7th gen, saw the picture and said "Best 360 or PS3 game"

Also congratulations The Rick I hope you receive a commission for selling a game.
Guacamelee!(Lucha wrestling crossed with Super Metriod. The best game I don't think most on here played) Seriously, I'm sold.

The Rick
July 26th, 2014, 5:31 PM

And when it came out, it was a bug filled mess on PS3. When they finally fixed it, it is one of the best experiences on the system. The mods on PC make it much better, but the current patched version on PS3 and 360 are still great games.

I couldn't get into it. This game and Bioshock Infinite are just a couple of those games where everybody lauded over them, and I just couldn't get into it. I recognize the beauty in the game and the solid mechanics, but neither were for me.

I think that happened quite a bit this generation. The Unfinished Swan is another example. It was touted by journalists, and many on here. When I sat down to play it, I hated the experience.

The Rogerer
July 26th, 2014, 6:51 PM
Is that The Unfinished Swan?

LOCONUT
July 26th, 2014, 6:53 PM
World of Goo probably belongs on this list.

The Rick
July 26th, 2014, 7:15 PM
Is that The Unfinished Swan?

Hah yes, yes it is.

Judas Iscariot
July 26th, 2014, 7:15 PM
1. Dark Souls

The rest mean nothing.

The Rick
July 26th, 2014, 7:16 PM
I don't think I even played 15 different console games from the 7th generation. I got a Wii and eventually a PS3 but pretty much checked out. RDR was great, very little else really left an impression. This was when I joined the PC master race I suppose.

Submit what you want. You never have to submit a full list in these. Any participation is appreciated.

Judas Iscariot
July 26th, 2014, 7:33 PM
Alright I'm actually going to submit a list for this.

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2014, 7:37 PM
Fallout 3 is my number one for sure. Most of my 15 will be Bethesda and Rockstar, I love an open world.

mr sabu
July 26th, 2014, 8:07 PM
this is going to be a pain in the ass to list

G-Fresh
July 26th, 2014, 8:23 PM
Fuck yeah it is.

Dream-Evil
July 26th, 2014, 11:54 PM
No love for God of War 3?

Atty
July 27th, 2014, 1:34 AM
I was thinking of it when I wrote my massive shortlist but I guess I forgot to type it.

This is really going to be the hardest list in so many ways. Yeah, the Nintendo one was brutal to widdle down, but there I had 20 spots to play with and didn't have something like Mass Effect that will eat up three of my 15 spots. Or Arkham, which takes another two. Or Uncharted, which takes another... FUCK!

Atty
July 27th, 2014, 1:41 AM
So where do all of these games go?

Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Journey
Sound Shapes
Pac-Man Championship Edition: DX
Little Big Planet(1 or 2)
Guacamelee!(Lucha wrestling crossed with Super Metriod. The best game I don't think most on here played)
Infamous 2
GTA V
Portal 2
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Demon Souls
RockSmith
Skyrim
Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (yea I'm considering putting the compilation on my list)
Borderlands 2
Peggle
The Orange Box
Burnout Paradice
Modern Warfare 2

and this is just the PS3 list.

Highlighting two here for conversation. So, The Orange Box... How is everyone counting that? I hadn't thought of it as a single title and was well considering two titles from it for my list proper. Unlike other compilations, this is one where it was the release of the games. It's not something years later. And it gave me Portal. PORTAL.

Stick of Truth is highlighted as I'm strongly considering it for the final spot when my list is set. So much fun.

FUCK! Forgot Bayonetta. Top ten getting shuffled again.

Morrison
July 27th, 2014, 1:52 AM
Highlighting two here for conversation. So, The Orange Box... How is everyone counting that? I hadn't thought of it as a single title and was well considering two titles from it for my list proper. Unlike other compilations, this is one where it was the release of the games. It's not something years later. And it gave me Portal. PORTAL.

Stick of Truth is highlighted as I'm strongly considering it for the final spot when my list is set. So much fun.

FUCK! Forgot Bayonetta. Top ten getting shuffled again.
i was just about to come in an mention the orange box. really, the only game off it that would make my list is portal, as i've been unable to play half-life 1 and thus don't want to start half-life 2 and i never got into team fortress. i'd like to just put portal on my list as a standalone, cause if it has to include everything from the orange box, i'm inclined not to put it on my list.

this generation is very clearly where my video game playing took a nose dive. i actually am going through the entire catalog of ps3 and 360 games(never played enough on the wii to even really consider it) just cause i'm so hazy on this generation in general. i'll come up with a nice, sizable list, but it should be fairly easy to wittle down to a top 15 without any knuckle dragging on my part. i've played a lot of the big games, like uncharted, mass effect, the last of us, etc. but never finished any of them, so i'm not going to include them on my list, so there will be plenty of big things missing.

Atty
July 27th, 2014, 2:01 AM
My weird thing this gen is franchises. They dominated my play. If I liked the series (Batman, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Portal, Halo, Mario, BioShock, the non-3 Ass Creeds), I stuck to that series a lot. Makes it trickier for me when I see two or three from each of those that I want on but don't have places for.

Halo will be tricky and may get left off altogether as it would be lower end of my list and is sure to be split for votes between 3, 4 and Reach.

Games also varied massively by my mood this gen. Bayonetta's the perfect example. Got it when it came out for PS3 and hated it. Gave it another try years later on 360 and it became one of my favorite games to play. Maybe I'm just getting old and bipolar.

Morrison
July 27th, 2014, 2:03 AM
also, how are we handling the walking dead? each season as a separate game or just lumping it all together as 'the walking dead' and leaving it at that?

Atty
July 27th, 2014, 2:12 AM
That definitely needs some consensus before we submit lists. I'd imagine it the same way I'm thinking of DLC: if it's part of that game, it counts. So, Mass Effect 3 for me would be the game plus all the DLC, plus the fixed endings. That actually makes it radically different from the initial release but I think DLC should be included as a factor to the game it impacts.

Likewise, I'd count the various chapters of Walking Dead as one, but that's just me.

Morrison
July 27th, 2014, 2:17 AM
i'm of the same mind, there.

Morrison
July 27th, 2014, 2:19 AM
completed my first draft. only 18 titles between the ps3 and 360. also came to the realization that despite owning a 360 for longer, i played the ps3 a hell of a lot more and then to go that way when it comes to cross console releases.

Judas Iscariot
July 27th, 2014, 5:54 AM
Dark Souls should win.

Bad Collin
July 27th, 2014, 6:00 AM
No mention of Gears of War yet. That game is why I got an 360 so it needs to be on my list.

I never owned a PS3 so my list should be easier than most.

Dreyski
July 27th, 2014, 9:10 AM
I've only owned a PS3 so my list may be even easier.

The Rick
July 27th, 2014, 12:43 PM

The Orange Box was the retail release, and to my knowledge, the games on it weren't released individually on the 7th generation of consoles. I could be wrong on that.

also, how are we handling the walking dead? each season as a separate game or just lumping it all together as 'the walking dead' and leaving it at that?

Each season as a different game. The first season has a retail disc release.

The Rick
July 27th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Don't forget some of the Xbox live arcade and PSN games.

Shadow Complex
Castle Crashers
Bastion
Trials
Super Meat Boy
etc...

Kdestiny
July 27th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Each season as a different game. The first season has a retail disc release.

i didn't do that, can I adjust my list then?

The Rick
July 27th, 2014, 1:30 PM
i didn't do that, can I adjust my list then?

yep. We have over a month. if you wanna change your list up until then, you're fine.

The Rick
July 27th, 2014, 6:18 PM
I'd also like to give a mention to 3D Dot Game Hero

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/4/3/1/125431_front.jpg

Fro
July 28th, 2014, 10:12 PM
NBA 2K13 won't make the list, but it should.

The Rick
July 28th, 2014, 11:16 PM

I think it was 2K 11 with the first Jordan challenges. I loved that game. It might make my list, but damn is this one going to be hard to whittle down.

blackening
July 28th, 2014, 11:31 PM
No mention of Gears of War yet. That game is why I got an 360 so it needs to be on my list..
If I make a list Gears will be on there and its also the reason I got a 360. Gears of War 3 would be #1.

Beefy
July 31st, 2014, 6:37 AM
This is going to give me an excuse to play/finish some highly-rated games of this gen in order to make my list. Going to finish Stick of Truth and play Uncharted 2 over the weekend. Then got a month to squeeze in Flower, Uncharted 3 and Far Cry 3.

I have all three Mass Effect games lined up but couldn't get into the first one at all when I tried. I really struggle to engage with any games featuring RPG elements.

Currently my top ten will likely be:
1. Journey
2. The Last of Us
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Arkham Asylum
5. Warhawk
6. Grand Theft Auto IV
7. FIFA 11
8. Grand Theft Auto V
9. Arkham City
10. Infamous

But with four weeks left there's everything to play for. Need to decide if I want to include the MGS HD Collection too.

Atty
July 31st, 2014, 2:00 PM

The problem with yearly franchises and this type of list is which to go with? For the MLB: The Show series, I played each years games like crazy and it definitely should be on my list but would have no clue which one to place. Same deal with Madden, where most years see gradual changes and nothing overly dramatic or that I can differentiate looking back on them.

Beefy
July 31st, 2014, 2:13 PM
They shouldn't be on there as individual games IMO. Every few years there tends to be a major change to the game and those iterations spanning several releases should be included. Like Pro Evo 2013 and Pro Evo 2009 are different games but Pro Evo 2013 and Pro Evo 2012 are the same game.

Mik
July 31st, 2014, 2:15 PM

I suggest you you play it. Probably my favourite game of this generation.

The Rick
July 31st, 2014, 6:20 PM
They shouldn't be on there as individual games IMO. Every few years there tends to be a major change to the game and those iterations spanning several releases should be included. Like Pro Evo 2013 and Pro Evo 2009 are different games but Pro Evo 2013 and Pro Evo 2012 are the same game.

But that would be the same thing as COD, WWE, and Assassin's Creed. Each year, they're largely the same with a few tweaks. But we would each have specific entries in those series that we felt were the best. I have no problem with putting that to a vote if more people start speaking in favor of the switch.

Morrison
August 1st, 2014, 12:23 AM
But that would be the same thing as COD, WWE, and Assassin's Creed. Each year, they're largely the same with a few tweaks. But we would each have specific entries in those series that we felt were the best. I have no problem with putting that to a vote if more people start speaking in favor of the switch.

eh, i feel like sports games are more incremental, most years. at least with COD, they're changing the maps, adding guns and perks, making new game modes, even if the core gameplay hasn't changed in ages. plus the overall tone and style are altered. with madden, at times it can just feel like an expensive roster update. i think it's far easier to differentiate the assassin's creed and COD games than it is madden '11 and '12.

Atty
August 1st, 2014, 12:23 AM
Yearly sports entries are most definitely different than yearly releases of COD or Ass Creed.

The Rick
August 1st, 2014, 1:32 AM
Have a mod throw up a poll. I have no problem either way.

The Rick
August 4th, 2014, 7:31 PM
A mod was kind enough to add the poll to this thread. Thanks

Fro
August 4th, 2014, 8:29 PM
I'm for it. The yearly sports games never make these lists cuz no one agrees on the best version or even necessarily owns the same version. But I still think when voting we should choose our single favorite iteration and place it based on that version alone, and then Rick will include them all together for countdown purposes.

Beefy
August 5th, 2014, 1:51 PM
Quite enjoying Uncharted 2. Not sure it is the best game ever but it is a huge step-up from the first one.

Atty
August 8th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Finally got around to playing Journey for this...

...Holy fuck. Like. Wow. I don't even know what to say after. Brilliant. Overjoyed that I waited until I was in the right mood and that Comcast went down for the final level forcing me to go it alone.

Replaying Uncharted 3 now from the start. Haven't played any of the Uncharteds in a couple years so this should give me a clean slate on the game. When I played it before, it was right off marathoning through the first two again and not at all fair to the third game.

LOCONUT
August 9th, 2014, 12:00 AM
After replaying Uncharted 3 a year later I think it is my favorite game of the series and of the Generation. I got super high and had a couple of proper holy shit moments playing that game.

Beefy
August 9th, 2014, 1:35 AM
Finally got around to playing Journey for this...

...Holy fuck. Like. Wow. I don't even know what to say after. Brilliant. Overjoyed that I waited until I was in the right mood and that Comcast went down for the final level forcing me to go it alone.

I know.

It's incredible. One of the three games I've ever played which has made me have rethink everything I thought about what a game could be. I play it once a year now at Christmas so it remains special.

Atty
August 13th, 2014, 12:14 AM
I have my list about where I want it. I'm going to wait until the deadline to submit it so I can play (replay) some games a bit. May even give the dlc for The Last of Us a go to see if that bumps that on my list. Well, it could only bump it two spots right now, but still.

Just outside my top 15 is:
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
BioShock
Assassin’s Creed 2
MLB: The Show
Halo Reach
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
Halo 4
Limbo
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Halo 3
God of War 3
Little Big Planet 2

Most of these are games I'd really like to find a place for. Zelda may find a way on, but bumping MGS 4 or Bayonetta would be painful to me.

The Rick
August 13th, 2014, 7:03 PM
I'm interested to see where DLC games like Bastion, Castle Crashers, Journey, and Shadow Complex will end up. Did they leave a lasting enough of a memory to garner a spot on the list? Time will tell.

4 lists in as of now. The is a fine start. We have until the September to make these lists, so take the time.

The Rick
August 13th, 2014, 7:04 PM
And if the Xbox owners never played Mark of the Ninja from last year, they really missed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0knqt0qSds

The Rick
August 14th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Alright I'm going to call the poll at the top. Sports titles will count as ONE entry. So a vote for FIFA is a vote for all FIFA kind, and madden, and MLB The Show, and NBA 2K, and so on.

Beefy
August 14th, 2014, 3:58 AM
Democracy in action.

Fro
August 14th, 2014, 5:46 PM
NBA2K still won't make the list tho :(

The Rick
August 15th, 2014, 12:44 AM
NBA2K still won't make the list tho :(

Not with that attitude.

Atty
August 15th, 2014, 1:41 AM
Now don't be down y'all. Maybe our new friend Fro can help us get 2K on the list.

Atty
August 19th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Uncharted 3 is interesting and I know why I rated it lower when I first played it. If I play one section at a time (ie: all of the boat sections at once, the plane bit at once, etc), I find it brilliant. If I try to go through all at once, it gets so repetitive with spawning enemies that it loses a fair bit. There are sections of the game where I feel it would have made a better game if they went straight to the platforming with fewer enemies. Far too many enemies in places like the boat graveyard or the ballroom in the boat.

Still, fantastic game and all, but sometimes less is more.

As for my working list, the Mass Effect ordering is a bit of a pain. Really leaning towards rated the first the highest. The Last of Us keeps creeping up my list every time I tweak it.

Beefy
August 19th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I've got 11 days to play the second half of Uncharted 2 and then play Uncharted 3....

Just as a question, would it not have been better to have a list per console rather than covering the whole generation? I doubt I'm the only one on here who only had one console. I could be underselling some great Wii & 360 games because I never played them.

Fro
August 19th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Well I had 360 and Wii but not PS3 so we'll even each other out

The Rick
August 19th, 2014, 3:03 PM
I've got 11 days to play the second half of Uncharted 2 and then play Uncharted 3....

Just as a question, would it not have been better to have a list per console rather than covering the whole generation? I doubt I'm the only one on here who only had one console. I could be underselling some great Wii & 360 games because I never played them.

better, probably. But that would alienate quite a few people. there are quite a few people that just had Wii or 360s or ps3s. I feel like it would be PC all over again if I targeted just one of the systems.

Atty
August 22nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Awhile back I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy set for PS3, figuring my next playthrough would be on that system. Well, I'm playing the first now and am kind of amazed how much better the 360 port was. I even loaded up the 360 to double check this, but there are numerous lip sync issues (some right at the start) on the PS3 that just aren't there on 360. The graphics are also puzzling. When I loaded up the 360, they were perfect from the start, where as I had to modify the tv settings to get them there on the PS3. All the ingame setting were the same for them (crap like motion blur and film grain turned off), but it was just darker and blander on the PS3. It's really strange.

That said, it's still a fantastic game. In many ways, I could call it my favorite/best game ever. Many of the issues people cite on it over controls and combat are things I find charming about it. It's hard to explain, but these things remind me of KOTOR in a very, very good way. I also greatly prefer space travel in the first game to the other two. People hate the Mako sections, but I love them. It's much better to explore by roaming around in a SPACE TANK and shooting giant SPACE CENTIPEDES on strange planets than blasting probes into the atmosphere.

Basically, every time I've ever played the first game, I just think about how great it is and how much I love it from start to finish.

The Rogerer
August 22nd, 2014, 12:04 PM
Mass Effect 2 was the first one to be ported and had some massive audio sync problems. There's also issues with it playing off a disc vs the hard drive. Lest we forget that the PS3 has a very weird architecture.

Anyway, I believe that Mass Effect 2 is the peak, but it doesn't have as much charm as 1 and works as a sequel to it. Shame about the mako going.

Atty
August 22nd, 2014, 12:31 PM
The hard drive thing could be key. For ME1 on ps3, it has a mandatory install of around 10 GB (more than the size of the entire game on 360) but then still runs off the disc. I suspect a purely downloaded version would be smoother. I had to turn off auto save as it stops the game for around 30 seconds and is fairly frequent.

Excel
August 22nd, 2014, 5:08 PM
No love for Mortal Kombat?

My list was easy. Putting it in some sort of order was a real bitch.

Ive never had more games in a generation than I had this one. Partly because of the length of the generation, partly because of the abundance of awesome games, but mostly because of Playstation Plus Instant games. I have over 60 titles on PS3 thanks to that and a lovely 750gb hard drive upgrade. I haven't played more than 30 mins of some of them and there are a couple I still haven't touched, there's just not enough time to play them all

My list for anyone who's interested

The Last of Us
PS3

Grand Theft Auto V
PS3

Saints Row the Third
X360

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
PS3

PS3

Portal 2
X360

PS3

Bioshock Infinite
PS3

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
PS3

Dead Rising
X360

Mortal Kombat
X360

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
PS3

Red Dead Redemption
X360

Tomb Raider
PS3

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
PS3

Olympus
August 22nd, 2014, 8:17 PM
This was really hard to get from 20 to 15...

List...

1. The Last Of Us
2. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
3. Grand Theft Auto V
4. Final Fantasy XIII
5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
6. The Walking Dead: Season 1
7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
8. Borderlands
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Mass Effect 2
11. Record of Agarest War
12. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
13. The Witcher 2
14. Dragon Age: Origins
15. Heavy Rain

Honorable Mentions (no particular order):
Beyond: Two Souls
The Witcher 2
Borderlands 2
EA Sports Tiger Woods PGA Tour Franchise
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mass Effect 3
Grand Theft Auto 4 + Expansions
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD
Fallout 3

Atty
August 23rd, 2014, 11:53 PM
Mass Effect 2 was the first one to be ported and had some massive audio sync problems. There's also issues with it playing off a disc vs the hard drive. Lest we forget that the PS3 has a very weird architecture.

Anyway, I believe that Mass Effect 2 is the peak, but it doesn't have as much charm as 1 and works as a sequel to it. Shame about the mako going.

Very curious here. So, I love the games so I bought the PSN downloads of the trilogy. Installed them and am back to playing 1 and basically all issues have vanished. Even the graphics are back to where they were on the 360 (I had to modify the tv settings for the disc version, but it's back to gorgeous on the unmodified settings for the download. Bizarre.

Mark Hammer
August 26th, 2014, 8:50 AM
Hate that I procrastinated through this.

The Rick
August 26th, 2014, 2:47 PM
And I'm gonna bump it a week.

You have 12 days to finalize your lists and submit them by the end of Monday Night RAW Sept 8th

Atty
August 26th, 2014, 4:18 PM
What's this Monday Night Raw that you speak of?

Mark Hammer
August 26th, 2014, 5:36 PM
Fuck yes.

The Rick
August 26th, 2014, 8:09 PM
I haven't been up on giving warning updates. And I only have 7 lists in as of now. The next 12 days should give enough time for everyone to make their final selections for their list submissions.

Atty
August 26th, 2014, 8:20 PM
Mine is basically finalized. I want to debate the order of the top two in my head a bit longer though.

The ones in my present top 15 (randomized):

Mass Effect

Arkham Asylum

BioShock Infinite

Uncharted 2

Portal 2

Mass Effect 3

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Mass Effect 2

Arkham City

Journey

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The Last of Us

Red Dead Redemption

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Mark Hammer
August 26th, 2014, 9:09 PM
I poo on any list which doesn't include Skyrim.

Atty
August 26th, 2014, 9:23 PM
It's on my shortlist of 100. Just behind the GoldenEye remake...

The Rick
August 31st, 2014, 4:42 PM
Just over a week away from the new deadline.

Get those lists in. :yes:

Dreyski
September 1st, 2014, 4:28 PM
Here's my alphabetised list (all PS3, as I mentioned earlier)

Bioshock Infinite

Borderlands 2

Fallout: New Vegas

GTA IV

Infamous 2

MGS: Ground Zeroes

MGS: HD collection

Need for speed: Most Wanted

Red Dead Redemption

Saints Row: The Third

SSX

The Cave

The Orange box

Tomb Raider

Beefy
September 1st, 2014, 6:48 PM
I completed Arkham Asylum again over the weekend. I just don't understand how anyone can think City is a better game.

Atty
September 1st, 2014, 10:11 PM
Gameplay and ending. I have them very close on my list and have swapped them multiple times while I tweak.

Morrison
September 2nd, 2014, 12:03 AM
I completed Arkham Asylum again over the weekend. I just don't understand how anyone can think City is a better game.

basically what atty said. i love the new mechanics as far as traveling/gliding. it's one of the biggest joys of playing the game for me, that going back to asylum afterward was jarring in how limited i felt. i loved the expansion of the riddler sections and the introduction of side quests. i rank it higher as a game because i had more fun within it's gameplay, though clearly the story of asylum was much, much tighter and cerebral.

The Doc
September 2nd, 2014, 1:57 AM
If your judging a game on all things by it's game play City is bigger and better in nearly every way. But the narrative just doesn't move as well as Asylum and as an entertainment vehicle I find I like Asylum better. Well except those last five minutes. That was pretty bad.

What I mean is if you were to strip away the story and cut scenes and replace the characters with generic cardboard cut outs I could still sit and play City for hours and hours and hours. At some point (especially after playing City) the hiccups in Asylum would make me put it down. As they both exist now Asylum is hands down a better experience if that makes and sense.

Alf
September 2nd, 2014, 5:30 AM
Asylum is just way tighter. The slow reveal of the gadgets was incredible. They shat the bed with the ending a bit, but the whole game was just so detailed, disciplined, well planned. Perfect.

Beefy
September 2nd, 2014, 5:46 AM
City is a lot of fun but yeah as Alf said Asylum is designed & structured so much better.

I think it was great that both games feel so different and they didn't just rinse and repeat the same formula for the sequel but Asylum is a classic whereas City is just another Sandbox game for me. A good one but not a truly great one.

The Rogerer
September 2nd, 2014, 5:49 AM
My favourite part about City was actually the differences in using Catwoman/Robin/Nightwing in the challenge rooms. City was bigger but not better, even though they did a good job with the gliding, moving around could feel like a chore. Plus Asylum has the 'happens over the course of a night' feeling that goes a really long way with me.

The Rick
September 4th, 2014, 11:40 PM
We have just a few days left.

I have 10 lists in as of now, and one of those is mine.

Get those lists in!!!

G-Fresh
September 5th, 2014, 2:11 AM
I think I'm sittin this one out.

Beefy
September 5th, 2014, 4:06 AM
I've seven chapters left in Uncharted 2. Will try to get that played on Monday then send a list.

Atty
September 5th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I sent mine in. I'd just keep staring at the top ten order otherwise and occasionally moving one or two. A lot of great stuff ended up just past 15 (Bayonetta, Uncharted 3, Dragon Age: Origins, BioShock 1, Ass Creed 2.)

Realistically, BioShock should have made it but with Infinite very near the top it missed out. Similar story with Uncharted 3, though BioShock is clearly a superior game.

Mark Hammer
September 6th, 2014, 10:17 PM
There are a lot of games I missed out on this generation. But I can't rationalize anything being a better overall game than Skyrim.

The Rick
September 7th, 2014, 1:49 PM
After the sports hoopla that started this off, I have a striking lack of sports titles. I have more submissions for NBA 2K than FIFA too.

The Rogerer
September 7th, 2014, 1:53 PM
Even with being harsh on sequels, etc, I had to cut a hell of a lot. Far too much.

Atty
September 7th, 2014, 5:00 PM
Even with being harsh on sequels, etc, I had to cut a hell of a lot. Far too much.

My list is sequel heavy. My top two are sequels but most of the sequels that made it saw the original game (if same generation) make it as well. BioShock 1 JUST missed out on mine and that's sort of a crime given how brilliant it is but I was desperate to find a place for the South Park game. I had so much pure fun with that game that it had to make it.

Sports titles would have become a factor had it been top 20, but at top 15 I just couldn't justify giving away a spot that could go to Journey, MGS 4, RDR, Galaxy 2, etc.

The Rick
September 7th, 2014, 8:50 PM
Just over 24 hours left for submissions

Beefy
September 8th, 2014, 6:55 PM
Got Uncharted 2 finished a few minutes ago so now submitted a list. I can see why it is rated so highly. I think it has been surpassed by a few games which have come out since but I can see why it was held up as the PS3's best game for a long time.

I'd hoped to give Flower a play-through today but ran out of time so that joins Far Cry 3 and Uncharted 3 on the list of games which I suspect would have made my top 15 had I ever actually got around to play them.

The Rogerer
September 8th, 2014, 7:11 PM
This thread is agonising. Seeing all these games I cut, like the telltale heart. What an amazing generation this was.

The Rick
September 8th, 2014, 9:21 PM
It really was a great generation. There was something for every single type of gamer.

The Rick
September 8th, 2014, 9:30 PM
I have a couple of people that still want to get a list in. I'm out tomorrow anyway, so work on it. I'll tabulate the results Wednesday night.

Beefy
September 10th, 2014, 5:33 PM
Just finished Flower. What an amazing little game. I don't think I can put it on my list but, yeah, I'm glad I squeezed it in.

Psycho666Soldier
September 11th, 2014, 3:29 AM
I got my list in earlier. A little bit easier than I expected because there were plenty of games that I didn't get to really play this generation, but I got a few of the heavy hitters and still had to cut out at least 10 or 15.

Excel
September 11th, 2014, 4:35 PM
Dude, where are the results? I need this.

The Rick
September 11th, 2014, 6:24 PM
I will finish up results tomorrow, and start the reveal on Monday.

I like the ebb and flow of the last reveal with doing it just on the week days.

Excel
September 11th, 2014, 7:40 PM
Boooo Wendy Testaburger. Boooo.

The Rick
September 11th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Boooo Wendy Testaburger. Boooo.

Hey I'm gonna drag this shit out until Christmas.

Just reveal all titles one a day for the next 100 work days.

Fro
September 12th, 2014, 1:04 AM
Forreal? Starting at 100 seems excessive

Bad Collin
September 12th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I'm annoyed that I didn't get a list in for this but i'm looking forward to the results.

Atty
September 12th, 2014, 12:27 PM
How would yours have shaped out? What would have been the top games? Just curious.

Fro
September 12th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I'm annoyed that I didn't get a list in for this but i'm looking forward to the results.

I don't know if he even finished tabulating the results, just send him a list now you lazy rube

Beefy
September 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Send a list now BC.

Bad Collin
September 12th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Done.

If its too late i'll post it here.

The Rick
September 12th, 2014, 7:06 PM
Forreal? Starting at 100 seems excessive

I was being a smart ass to Excel. This list will be around 25-30 like most lists.

And yes I'll take your list Collin.

I knew I had some things this week (work learning projects), but didn't think it was going to take up so much time this week.

The Rick
September 14th, 2014, 6:05 PM
Waiting on one question, and then this is finalized.

Psycho666Soldier
September 15th, 2014, 2:14 AM
For the record, I didn't know whether to put Portal as a standalone or as The Orange Box, and since I didn't touch the rest of Orange Box, I just voted Portal 2. I think there's no harm done there.

Morrison
September 15th, 2014, 2:24 AM
For the record, I didn't know whether to put Portal as a standalone or as The Orange Box, and since I didn't touch the rest of Orange Box, I just voted Portal 2. I think there's no harm done there.

rick isn't counting portal as a standalone, anyway.

Psycho666Soldier
September 15th, 2014, 2:25 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Morrison
September 15th, 2014, 2:39 AM
i had to find that out the hard way.