PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Semi Final: Argentina v Netherlands

Romford Pele
July 9th, 2014, 4:38 AM
No thread so thought I would make one.

Should be a closer game than last night (you would think) - Argentina probably have a bit more quality upfront and a meaner defence but you still get the impression it will be tight, Di Maria is injured but Aguero is apparently fit to play.

RVP is a doubt, he would be a big loss if he doesn't make it. Can Van Gaal pull it out the bag?

Argentina have not impressed yet, but is this their time?

What are your thoughts?

I'm going with a narrow Argentina win.

Mik
July 9th, 2014, 6:22 AM
My mate has Argentina in the sweepstakes and although I would like them to win for messi, he's being a right cocky bastard so I would rather they lose. Have they really been that different to Brazil this tournament? Messi and 10 shirts.

a Netherlands vs Germany final sounds good to me.

Romford Pele
July 9th, 2014, 6:31 AM
Yeah they haven't been great. Higuain stepped up last game, maybe Aguero will tonight.

I had Brazil in work sweepstake, it is top 3, so if they somehow beat the losers tonight I will get £12.

I also put £6 on Argentina to win the world cup each way at 4/1. If they get through tonight, I'm guaranteed £12. If they win it, I'll get £36. Argies first and Brazil third is best case scenario now for me.

That said, I have always liked the dutch and they are the best team to have never won the world cup. If they get through would like them to win.

turdpower
July 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I fancy Netherlands to nick this if RVP has got over the shits.

Red Dog
July 9th, 2014, 12:34 PM
My mate has Argentina in the sweepstakes and although I would like them to win for messi, he's being a right cocky bastard so I would rather they lose. Have they really been that different to Brazil this tournament? Messi and 10 shirts.

a Netherlands vs Germany final sounds good to me.

How has Messi been cocky?

wardy
July 9th, 2014, 2:16 PM
Because he got Germany in the sweep.

Red Dog
July 9th, 2014, 2:29 PM
Makes sense

turdpower
July 9th, 2014, 3:05 PM
His mate has been cocky, not Messi.

Romford Pele
July 9th, 2014, 4:18 PM
Good start so far, quick pace. Should be good

Simon
July 9th, 2014, 5:29 PM
This is shit. Absolutely shit.

The Rosk
July 9th, 2014, 5:32 PM
Vlaar has been absolutely brilliant.

wardy
July 9th, 2014, 5:33 PM
Hopefully Messi wins it for the lads.

turdpower
July 9th, 2014, 6:05 PM
This seems to have penalties written all over it.

Both teams just look knackered.

Judas Iscariot
July 9th, 2014, 6:27 PM
Riveting action.

Glen
July 9th, 2014, 6:36 PM
Well here we go. Lottery time.

The Rosk
July 9th, 2014, 6:36 PM
I am pretty sure we aren't going to keep Vlaar after this. He has had Messi in his pocket all game.

Beefy
July 9th, 2014, 6:38 PM
Shit match. Come on Argentina.

The Rosk
July 9th, 2014, 6:39 PM
Cheers Ron. We need you next season.

Beefy
July 9th, 2014, 6:39 PM
I am pretty sure we aren't going to keep Vlaar after this. He has had Messi in his pocket all game.

Looked like a Villa player just then.

Beefy
July 9th, 2014, 6:41 PM
Ha, that's a great pen from Garay!

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2014, 6:42 PM
Oh dear.

turdpower
July 9th, 2014, 6:49 PM
Turns out the Krul substitute wasn't such a master-stroke after all. After seeing that GK performance it was a fucking obvious sub.

JP
July 9th, 2014, 6:59 PM
Turns out the Krul substitute wasn't such a master-stroke after all. After seeing that GK performance it was a fucking obvious sub.

As much as Van Gaal has been taking credit for that sub he should also take some blame for the detrimental psychological effect it obviously had on Cillessen.

Andy
July 9th, 2014, 7:24 PM
Feel sorry for Vlaar missing the pen, he had a great game.

McBain
July 9th, 2014, 9:20 PM
Glad I didn't bother staying up til 3am to watch this. Changed my mind at the last minute.

Glad Argies went through, hopefully we'll see an open final now.

Romford Pele
July 10th, 2014, 4:54 AM
Germany must be licking their lips - Argies must be absolutely knackered, whilst they were toying with the Brazilians.

Not a great game at all. I think Messi is going to have to have a brilliant game on Sunday to win this for Argentina.

Simon
July 10th, 2014, 5:33 AM
That was without a doubt the worst I've ever seen Messi play.

Romford Pele
July 10th, 2014, 5:40 AM
The Dutch shackled him well - the Germans will do the same surely.

Am seriously tempted to stick some money on Germany to lift the trophy Sunday. £20 on to give me £32.

Simon
July 10th, 2014, 6:15 AM
The Dutch shackled him well - the Germans will do the same surely.

Wouldn't be so sure about that - it's worth remembering that prior to the first goal (I know it was only ten minutes but still) Brazil looked just as likely to score as Germany did in the semi, I remember thinking it was an insanely open game for a semi-final. Maybe Germany played that way deliberately because they knew they could get at Brazil's defence...but they were very open at the back. If they played the same way I think Argentina could have plenty of joy going forward.

Having said that, Aguero looked off the pace yesterday and Higuain's first touch throughout the game was that of a pub player - more of that and Messi will have to be superhuman (not that he isn't already) to turn it their way. Hopefully Di Maria is back, apparently there is an outside chance.

son_of_foley
July 10th, 2014, 6:17 AM
Brazil were playing long ball for the first ten minutes. The game hadn't settled down at all. I think Germany will be a bit more disciplined this time round because Argentina don't have the same soft centre

McBain
July 10th, 2014, 6:36 AM
I've had Argentina as one of my teams from the beginning so would be great if they could pull it off. But really wouldn't begrudge Germany if they do - they've been outstanding.

Main thing is I just want a final worthy of the tournament so far and worth staying up until the early hours of Monday morning to watch.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 10th, 2014, 7:16 AM
I don't think Germany have been outstanding. They've been pretty good, but the two big wins for them came against absolute shambles of teams in Portugal and Brazil. Apart from that they've given up chances against every team they have played and have relied upon some poor finishing and some good saves from Neuer. They could and should have been 2-0 down vs. Algeria after half an hour or so, they gave up plenty of chances against a curiously flat France team, they were given the run-around by a pretty poor Ghana side and they struggled to finish the USA off. The two big scorelines stand out, but in neither game would I have pinpointed Germany's brilliance over the opposition's defensive and tactical meltdowns as being important. So I think it'll be tighter than people would imagine.

Argentina have been, in contrast, defensively very tight after being predicted to be weak in that area, while it is their forwards who are struggling. Apart from Messi, Mascherano has had an absolute stormer of a tournament (MoM last night, even after being knocked the fuck out) and Garay has not put a foot wrong. Romero in nets has become more confident as the tournament has progressed. Rojo and Zabaleta have been defensively solid, but have lacked going forward and this is perhaps why Argentina have struggled. Full-backs are very important for width nowadays and it appears to be a conscious decision to tell Rojo and Zabaleta to be careful about getting forward. I think this knocks on heavily on players like Messi and Lavezzi who like to move into the channels if they have no over-lap to occupy the opposition defence. I don't think Higuain was nearly as bad last night as Simon suggested, particularly playing up against 3 centre-backs, and Argentina made a few clearcut chances, whereas Holland made virtually none (Robben bursting through a couple of times only to be tackled by Mascherano) and I'm struggling to remember a shot on target from them. In all, I think there should have been more coming from the Argentina forwards over the tournament but moreso the problem has been they have been a much different team than anyone expected. I think they will get chances against Germany because every team has had them.

Simon
July 10th, 2014, 7:23 AM
Higuain wasn't terrible in all areas, his movement was good and he created a lot of space for Messi and Lavezzi dropping off. Also he worked hard. But his first touch was heroically bad, especially in the first hour or so when space was at a premium.