PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2014 - Group G (Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA)

Beefy
June 11th, 2014, 5:41 AM
Please use this thread for prediction and match discussion for this Group.

Beefy
June 11th, 2014, 5:41 AM
I got Ghana in our office sweep :(

BBF
June 11th, 2014, 5:48 AM
I'm involved in 3 sweeps. I got Switzerland, Japan and Iran. Good luck.

Beefy
June 11th, 2014, 5:53 AM
Cheers BBF. Bloody nice of you.

BBF
June 11th, 2014, 6:05 AM
Any time, mate. Any time.

Romford Pele
June 11th, 2014, 8:20 AM
Interesting group. USA are decent and Portugal can be prone to have off days, and Ghana are good too. Hard to back against Germany qualifying but could be any of the other 3 here

RFF Champ
June 11th, 2014, 8:24 AM
USA aren't decent. The other 3 should be competitive though, one of my favourite groups this.

MichaelC
June 11th, 2014, 8:41 AM
USA aren't decent. The other 3 should be competitive though, one of my favourite groups this.

I'm hoping the USA can be decent enough to beat Portugal (like in 2002) so that the Portuguese wind up pointless after two games and probably out. :)

MTR
June 11th, 2014, 9:41 AM
This should be an interesting group. USA has to come out and win the first game against Ghana if they are going to have a chance of getting out of this group. If they lose the first game and have to get results out of the next two games they are in trouble. I think they can get out of this group but it won't be easy. Portugal and Germany can't look past Ghana or USA because that could cost them.

Beefy
June 11th, 2014, 9:45 AM
There's always a shock elimination somewhere in the group stages. I'm going to stick my neck out and go for Portugal and Ghana to get through this group (C'mon Ghana!) and the Germans to go home

BBF
June 11th, 2014, 9:46 AM
There's always a shock elimination somewhere in the group stages. I'm going to stick my neck out and go for Netherlands and Ghana to get through this group (C'mon Ghana!) and the Germans to go home

That is sticking your neck out in a massive way, Beef

MTR
June 11th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Did we add a fifth team to the group? ;)

wardy
June 11th, 2014, 11:54 AM
You must have got some odds on that Beefter.

Beefy
June 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Stupid, forgettable Portugal.

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 2:22 AM
We NEED to finally beat Ghana. And that can happen.

If that happens, we're better conditioned than Portugal and more used to playing in the disgusting conditions we'll be playing them in. Ronaldo's mystery knee injury is a bonus.

Germany likely won't give a fuck for the third match since they'll already be through.

I!

I BELIEVE!

I BELIEVE THAT!

I BELIEVE THAT WE!

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pjliE37ENY

:usa:

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 2:28 AM
This should be an interesting group. USA has to come out and win the first game against Ghana if they are going to have a chance of getting out of this group. If they lose the first game and have to get results out of the next two games they are in trouble. I think they can get out of this group but it won't be easy. Portugal and Germany can't look past Ghana or USA because that could cost them.

When you refer to your country, don't say THEY. Say WE.

RFF Champ
June 12th, 2014, 2:32 AM
Guaranteed Dempsey scores against Germany.

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 2:47 AM
Dempsey is a bad ass motherfucker who has spent years in Donovan's shadow while he's the one getting bruised and bloody and said years ago while Donovan ducked playing in Europe that he'd rather sit on the bench in England than start in MLS because he'd learn more from it.

Granted that was a long while ago and now he's back in MLS, but he became the highest goal scorer in Fulham's history.

This is likely to be Dempsey's last World Cup so I expect him to kill himself with effort.

RFF Champ
June 12th, 2014, 3:02 AM
Dempsey only does effort in the big matches. He'll spend the Ghana game on his ass and score the opener against Germany. His record against big nations and big clubs is one Ronaldo would be proud of.

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 3:44 AM
How dare you compare Dempsey to Ronaldo.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 4:42 AM
Granted that was a long while ago and now he's back in MLS, but he became the highest goal scorer in Fulham's history.

That's not true. :squint:

Torn
June 12th, 2014, 4:53 AM
Ahaha yeah where has that come from!?

He's past it now. His Fulham stint in January was a mess.

MTR
June 12th, 2014, 10:55 AM

He is not the highest scorer for Fulham. I think he has scored the most goals by an American in the Premiership.

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 3:45 PM
Well fuck me sideways I was positive he was. Maybe most in a season?

Anyway stop being a communist MTR.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 3:47 PM
Could be their highest in premier league history. Has about 50.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 5:04 PM
Ronaldo's limped out of training and not looking good apparently.

Caito
June 15th, 2014, 3:28 PM
I know only the basics of the sport and fuck all about the intricacies of it.

With that said...

USA! USA! USA!

Judas Iscariot
June 16th, 2014, 1:52 AM
I'm a diamond in the rough, everybody knows the score...

"But the people want more!"

And I'm a give it to 'em. I was born a winner, all I had to do was show 'em.

Judas Iscariot
June 16th, 2014, 1:53 AM
Said the proof is in the pudding, the secret's in the sauce. I ain't gotta tell nobody why they call me the boss.

Red Dog
June 16th, 2014, 8:40 AM
Dempsey is a bad ass motherfucker who has spent years in Donovan's shadow while he's the one getting bruised and bloody and said years ago while Donovan ducked playing in Europe that he'd rather sit on the bench in England than start in MLS because he'd learn more from it.

This is likely to be Dempsey's last World Cup so I expect him to kill himself with effort.

Fulhams highest goalscorer has 178.

Dempsey has 50 for them.

Oooooh close.

Beefy
June 16th, 2014, 8:49 AM
Really looking forward to the two matches in this group tonight (think I'll be skipping Iran vs Nigeria though...). Should be plenty of goals.

McBain
June 16th, 2014, 9:03 AM
Great evening for me of Game of Thrones finale and Germany/Portugal. YES.

turdpower
June 16th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Pepe is a fucking idiot.

wardy
June 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Harsh red. Muller is a fanny.

Mik
June 16th, 2014, 12:58 PM
They are both idiotic.

Kneeneighbor
June 16th, 2014, 1:00 PM
Okay so the chap with the red card is out for the match and his team is down a man... Are there any repercussions for him or the team beyond this match?

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 16th, 2014, 1:01 PM
Harsh red? He clashes heads with him. He needed to go.

Adrian Chiles droning on about how Muller play acting is a disgrace, it is, but so is the 'vigilante' justice Pepe dealt out. They're highly paid professionals and what he did, on the biggest stage there, was act more of a petty child than Muller did by going down like Tyson hit him. If Pepe goes over and shouts at him, and he gets up straight away like he did, then he looks the fool. Now Pepe does.

The ref could have dealt with that, potentially booking him, but Pepe give him absolutely no choice.

I'd be taking Eder back off for a defender and hoping for the best...

Thought penalty was stone wall and probably should have been a red too.

wardy
June 16th, 2014, 1:07 PM
I know the rules of the game but there was fuck all in it. I would've booked the pair of them and told them to grow up.

turdpower
June 16th, 2014, 1:08 PM
Okay so the chap with the red card is out for the match and his team is down a man... Are there any repercussions for him or the team beyond this match?

Gets suspended for the next game is my understanding.

turdpower
June 16th, 2014, 1:09 PM
I know the rules of the game but there was fuck all in it. I would've booked the pair of them and told them to grow up.

That's true of course, but "clashing heads" is a red card, so the ref got it right.

Muller tried to get him sent off and it's worked.

turdpower
June 16th, 2014, 1:11 PM
Jesus, I've just seen Nani's haircut :nono:

Andy
June 16th, 2014, 1:12 PM
Adrian Chiles is such a stupid fucking cunt. Vieira looks like he wants to knock him out and Cannavarro is just getting fed up.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 16th, 2014, 1:21 PM
I was just saying to my mate how Vieira wants to punch him. He's insufferable. I dont know if ITV think he's the "every man" and appeals but he's the "every man" who everyone hates cos he speaks so much shit. He probably doesn't even watch football beyond the Premiership highlights. He knows nothing (Jon Snow) and isn't shy about making it apparent. I'd rather listen to Tim Lovejoy, and that's saying something.

Kneeneighbor
June 16th, 2014, 1:24 PM
Gets suspended for the next game is my understanding.

But his team gets to play at full strength correct.

Simon
June 16th, 2014, 1:25 PM
Slim Charles is gonna bang in a hat trick to nick a draw for Portugal

wardy
But his team gets to play at full strength correct.
Aye they can just replace him with someone else for the next game.

turdpower
His team gets to play with 11 players if that's what you mean? But he can't be one of them.

Ringo
June 16th, 2014, 6:03 PM
fucking hell GHANA what are you playing at

Matthew
June 16th, 2014, 6:04 PM
USA
USA
USA

Kneeneighbor
June 16th, 2014, 6:09 PM
We're killin' em!

wardy
June 16th, 2014, 6:14 PM
Woooooo

Grimario
June 16th, 2014, 6:27 PM
Who is doing commentary on BBC 5 Live? Jason Roberts and someone else...?

turdpower
June 16th, 2014, 6:34 PM
That leg raising action doesn't seem normal to me.

turdpower
June 16th, 2014, 6:36 PM
Who is doing commentary on BBC 5 Live? Jason Roberts and someone else...?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046ct18

Never heard of him.

Grimario
June 16th, 2014, 7:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046ct18

Never heard of him.

:cheers:

We have match coverage with him and Roberts... and at half time, we have Torn's favourite ever Ghanaian striker doing analysis.... Lloyd Owusu!

Simon
June 16th, 2014, 7:24 PM
Alistair Bruce-Ball has been on 5 Live for years, think he's more of a first-teamer nowadays whereas he used to be the dude updating you on Stoke vs West Brom.

Kneeneighbor
June 16th, 2014, 7:35 PM
God this hanging on shit is painful to watch.

Simon
June 16th, 2014, 7:43 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaasss fuck off yanks

Clutch
June 16th, 2014, 7:47 PM
holy shit!

Clutch
June 16th, 2014, 7:47 PM
nice header

Kneeneighbor
June 16th, 2014, 7:48 PM
We're killin' em

Caito
June 16th, 2014, 8:01 PM
US looked extremely lucky to win that game.

Kneeneighbor
June 16th, 2014, 8:05 PM
From about 30 min on I felt like they had the fight taken to them.

Bert
June 16th, 2014, 8:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/e7qEmTP.gif

wardy
June 16th, 2014, 8:37 PM
Well done the Yanks. 110%.

wardy
June 16th, 2014, 8:38 PM
Now that I have been nice to you I would like you to come over and help us get independence from these bastards. #voteyes

DaSaintFan
June 16th, 2014, 10:29 PM
US looked extremely lucky to win that game.

3 apparent major injuries, and our worst player managing to get that miracle header.. I'll take a bit of luck. And with Portugal losing Pepe for the next game... I like our chances now. (I seriously thought we'd go 0-3 in this group).

Judas Iscariot
June 17th, 2014, 1:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5A0pg4oN8

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2014, 3:04 AM
Now that I have been nice to you I would like you to come over and help us get independence from these bastards. #voteyes

What the fuck are Vot eyes

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 17th, 2014, 6:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5A0pg4oN8

They should have used that as the anthem, your players might have actual sung it instead of half of them pretending to be asleep (?) and the others just moving their lips.

The best bit was Robbie Savage having a fit on commentary.

Simon
June 17th, 2014, 7:06 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed Robbie Savage telling us that he used to have a tattoo but now he doesn't have a tattoo.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 17th, 2014, 7:14 AM
"I just got a bit overexcited.."
"..I know"

:lol:

WWPNS - What Would Phil Neville Say.

Romford Pele
June 17th, 2014, 7:35 AM
Robbie Savage should not be employed. I loved it when Henry tore him a new one the other day.

This group is very interesting. USA have a great chance now, especially as Portugal looked so shite (even before the sending off) yesterday

Thomas Muller is supremrely unlikeable, but Pepe is a gimp for doing that.

Ringo
June 17th, 2014, 8:06 AM
I always disliked Müller as well. Something about his face. But in Germany he has a reputation for being a genuine nice guy. Always super modest in interviews, never takes any credit for himself. Pepe is a lunatic who it could be argued shouldn't even be allowed to play football anymore. Find it amusing how Chiles and others were apparently criticising Müller so much.

wardy
June 17th, 2014, 8:31 AM
What the fuck are Vot eyes
Don't be jealous.

Chris Scott
June 17th, 2014, 10:27 AM
From what I watched first half USA played some decent footy.

Red Dog
June 17th, 2014, 7:28 PM
Robbie Savage should not be employed. I loved it when Henry tore him a new one the other day.

This group is very interesting. USA have a great chance now, especially as Portugal looked so shite (even before the sending off) yesterday

Thomas Muller is supremrely unlikeable, but Pepe is a gimp for doing that.

Not sure what game it was, think it was this one, Savage kept saying "run it into the corner, get the job done, waste some time".

That's why lower league cloggers shouldn't be pundits at world cups. Couldn't imagine Henry saying that.

MTR
June 19th, 2014, 9:53 AM
Jozy is out vs Portugal. :(

Simon
June 19th, 2014, 9:59 AM
Didn't he tear his hamstring in the last game, surely he's out for the tournament? In any case, I would suggest that if USA could choose one player to remove from each team, they'd probably go with Altidore and Ronaldo, so count your blessings...it could have been Dempsey and Nani.

Andy
June 21st, 2014, 3:16 PM
This is shaping up to be an excellent match. Got the 5Live commentary on and it's so much more enjoyable. Brad Friedel is very good.

wardy
June 21st, 2014, 3:24 PM
WHAT A MATCH MATE

Andy
June 21st, 2014, 3:27 PM
Slowed down a bit now Germany are controlling possession but still enjoying it.

wardy
June 21st, 2014, 4:24 PM
Good game now.

The Rick
June 21st, 2014, 4:25 PM
The fuck is going on? Germany shouldn't be allowing Ghana to control this well should they? I mean Germany is a better team aren't they? Ignorant yank here with questions :wave:

The Rick
June 21st, 2014, 4:32 PM
well never mind I guess

Xtreme Rebel
June 21st, 2014, 4:48 PM
Does Klose get another goal this tournament to take the record for himself?

Andy
June 21st, 2014, 4:51 PM
Bloody told you this would be a good game!

MikeHunt
June 21st, 2014, 5:10 PM
The 2nd half was outstanding. Fucking begging for a Germany 3rd for a score cast to come in. Sadly another £5 down the drain

Prototype16
June 21st, 2014, 5:11 PM
Great second half - loved seeing Klose get his goal too

Germany would be better off starting with Schweinsteiger and moving Lahm to right back - it seems a waste to leave him out, and Lahm is still an excellent right back

McBain
June 21st, 2014, 5:32 PM
What a second half.

I was one of three mates cheering on Ghana in a bar full of Germans. The reactions we were getting from them was hilarious. Ghana really deserved at least a point though, thought they were outstanding. Strong in defence, great with the ball and really went for it. Really hoping they somehow manage to get through.

FOOTBALL.

The Rick
June 21st, 2014, 6:07 PM
I watched most of that second half until Fro invited me to play some Mario Kart 8. It was exciting to watch. I might just have to watch a bit more of this world cup.

Just thought about it, I could have left the tv on the game and played MK8 on the pad. Oh well.

Caito
June 22nd, 2014, 5:53 PM
Alright, true followers of this, tell a non usual follower...

What are the chances the US can win this match?

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 5:58 PM
Reasonable based on the first games each team played. USA aren't as talented but are solid enough and work their knackers off. I reckon it will be a draw, which will probably suit the US.

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 6:07 PM
However if you defend like that you will be punished. Even by Nani.

Caito
June 22nd, 2014, 6:08 PM
Yeah that was awful. gotta get the ball out.

Ringo
June 22nd, 2014, 6:11 PM
Nani is BACK.

Loved Ronaldo rinsing about four players not long before the goal by the way.

RFF Champ
June 22nd, 2014, 6:12 PM
The standard Dempsey vs. Big team goal will get USA back into this.

RFF Champ
June 22nd, 2014, 6:13 PM
Shit goalkeeping by Howard, he sat down.

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 6:18 PM
Nani is BACK.

Loved Ronaldo rinsing about four players not long before the goal by the way.

Yeah brilliant, completely unnecessary as well. It's like he realises that Portugal can't achieve what Argentina can, so he's trying to outdo Messi just by skilling the shit out of everyone.

Caito
June 22nd, 2014, 6:27 PM
Tell you what though, they are playing they're asses off after that terrible goal and have had some decent chances.

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 6:42 PM
USA have four or five players I've never seen that look really tasty. The lad with dreadlocks in front of the back four looks good, Johnson is full of energy, Brooks the centre back looks class. Not seen a lot of Bradley either but he looks the real deal, mad that he went back to the MLS at the peak of his career.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 22nd, 2014, 6:50 PM
They all work very hard but are distinctly ordinary players, apart from Bradley who is a decent footballer but has had awful luck with injuries.

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 7:00 PM
Would have thought you would be in a more positive mood after your boyfriend scored earlier.

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 7:21 PM
BOOF

Caito
June 22nd, 2014, 7:24 PM
Damn

wardy
June 22nd, 2014, 7:28 PM
Fucking love it!

The Rick
June 22nd, 2014, 7:33 PM
Some of the passing by US has been pretty lackadaisical.

Kneeneighbor
June 22nd, 2014, 7:39 PM
That passing was tits... 'Muerica

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 7:40 PM
Gwan the Yanks.

MMH
June 22nd, 2014, 7:41 PM
That Eder is shockingly bad.

Ringo
June 22nd, 2014, 7:41 PM
yessssssssssss.

The Rick
June 22nd, 2014, 7:42 PM
I'm enjoying this match.

Kneeneighbor
June 22nd, 2014, 7:44 PM
That Chris Ronald guy is always offsides. He's pretty terrible.

wardy
June 22nd, 2014, 7:46 PM
Just realised my stream is miles behind. Go on the yanks! Always like them at the World Cup.

MikeHunt
June 22nd, 2014, 7:47 PM
yas great result. fuck you ronaldo you stupid tosser.

The Rick
June 22nd, 2014, 7:53 PM
Fuck. That little blonde fucker has misplayed the ball too many times.

MMH
What a cross.

JP
Bradley needs shooting, what the fuck was he doing?

Simon
June 22nd, 2014, 7:55 PM
Unbelievable finish to another great game. What a tournament unnnnnnnnnnnnn

Ringo
June 22nd, 2014, 8:00 PM
fuckkk. Was so ready for a massive US/Klinsi celebration there. Makes the last two games in this group very interesting indeed.

DaSaintFan
June 22nd, 2014, 8:01 PM
Jones with one bad pass.. and set that up Ronaldo's crosser.. (who shot like crap the whole game til that one pass!)

Kneeneighbor
June 22nd, 2014, 8:01 PM
So what's the soccer etiquette here in the next game. Both Germany and US both advance with a draw. Will they just kick the ball around for 90 and call it good?

Also how about the interview with Klinsmann?

Caito
June 22nd, 2014, 8:07 PM
Playing pool couldn't hear interview. What were the cliff notes?

Kneeneighbor
June 22nd, 2014, 8:21 PM
Well they asked him about playing Germany and he basicly said FIFA set everything up for them, didn't make them play in the jungle or travel at all for their games.

McBain
June 22nd, 2014, 8:25 PM
Delighted by this result, means Ghana still have a chance to go through.

Judas Iscariot
June 22nd, 2014, 8:35 PM
Fuck you McBain

Judas Iscariot
June 22nd, 2014, 8:38 PM
The bar turned from insane jubilation to where you could hear a pin drop in the blink of an eye.

It's alright though we've got this.

But with less than thirty seconds left Jesus fucking Christ.

McBain
June 22nd, 2014, 8:39 PM
That's football. It can be a cruel mistress.

I have a lot of sympathy for USA, but Ghana are both my sweepstake team and the best African team I've watched so far.

Judas Iscariot
June 23rd, 2014, 1:21 AM
Jacked dude came up to me in the bar with tears in his eyes after I lead the bar in a rousing rendition of "God Bless America" at the start of the second half.

Said, "I've got to tell you, sorry I'm tearing up, but the last time I heard that song sung was when I got back from Afghanistan last month. Thank you for getting us to sing that."

I said, "Why are you thanking me? Thank YOU man. Thank YOU," and I shook his hand.

He put his arm around me and hugged me and said, "Don't thank me for anything. It just reminded me of the things I saw and the friends I lost over there. So thank you for getting us to sing that, I appreciated it."

I bought him another Hennessy.

Red Dog
June 23rd, 2014, 3:02 AM
So what's the soccer etiquette here in the next game. Both Germany and US both advance with a draw. Will they just kick the ball around for 90 and call it good?

Also how about the interview with Klinsmann?
Soccer etiquette is playing the game properly.

Although Germany have form for this - they did it in 1982. Think that was when they introduced all final group games being played at the same time.

Simon
June 23rd, 2014, 4:02 AM
Soccer etiquette is playing the game properly.

Not really. In England maybe (though there are examples of dodginess all around) but in other countries it's completely the norm. Italy even have an accepted term for it, biscotto...not sure why it's called that.

You'd like to think it wouldn't happen and there's no reason to think it will have been pre-planned...but if there are twenty minutes to go and the scores are level, neither team will go for it.

RFF Champ
June 23rd, 2014, 4:16 AM
Playing in Manaus seemed to have quite a big effect on Italy and England. It'll be interesting to see how Croatia are tonight but based on the evidence so far I reckon the USA will be well up for the draw.

Simon
June 23rd, 2014, 4:33 AM
I read that Italy players claimed to have been hallucinating by the end of the England game due to the conditions, madness.

Excited to see the tournament start to kick on now. Mexico/Croatia tonight should be great, with Brazil/Cameroon retaining interest thanks to Brazil not being confirmed group winners yet.

Red Dog
June 23rd, 2014, 4:35 AM
Not really. In England maybe (though there are examples of dodginess all around) but in other countries it's completely the norm. Italy even have an accepted term for it, biscotto...not sure why it's called that.

You'd like to think it wouldn't happen and there's no reason to think it will have been pre-planned...but if there are twenty minutes to go and the scores are level, neither team will go for it.

Well besides that I think they will go for it anyway as surely there is a huge advantage in finishing top? Who are they likely to play?

RFF Champ
June 23rd, 2014, 4:35 AM
It'll be a shame to lose Mexico or Croatia, they both look decent. Fancy Croatia to win tonight though and go far.

Fanny Batter
June 23rd, 2014, 7:44 AM
You think Croatia would beat Holland or Chile? Seems a big ask to me. They've looked solid in their games but you'd fancy those 2 teams to have a bit too much for them. Lot's of attacking flair in both the Croatia and Holland teams though, hoping the Dutch get the draw tonight because that would be a great game. Chile would provide good resistance to Brazil too, would be a tense match.

I definitely see Argentina (Switzerland should be a doddle), France (Nigeria aren't great) and Germany (Algeria have played well but shouldn't be too much hassle) coasting to the quarters, all the other games (I think it'll be Holland/Croatia, Brazil/Chile, Belgium/USA, Ivory Coast/Costa Rica and Uruguay/Colombia) are very close games on paper and could provide some shocks, namely Chile beating Brazil and Murrica beating Belgium. What a great World Cup.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 23rd, 2014, 8:00 AM
Chile showed they had a few issues in the game against Australia that Spain couldn't exploit, namely their central defence is very ropey. I would fancy Croatia to give them some trouble as Mario Mandzukic is extremely strong in the air and they have a lot of pace down the flanks. It would be an interesting game. Luka Modric is the best central midfielder in the competition now in my opinion and it means Croatia will tend to be able to control midfield vs anybody they play now. The problem for Chile is getting close to him with their high pressure game and hoping he just doesn't pick them apart when they move up. I don't see Chile's defence being good enough to take them much further unfortunately.

I would fancy them to give Brazil a real go because Brazil have looked so static and ordinary so far, aside from Neymar. Brazil need to change their midfield, Paulinho should simply not be starting.

RFF Champ
June 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Holland will come unstuck. The midfield has veen very quiet and they won't be able to rely on monster Robben and RVP performances for long.

Romford Pele
June 24th, 2014, 5:24 AM
Snejder needs to get back to his form of 5/6 years ago and dictate games if they are to get past QF stage but they have match winners.

McBain
June 24th, 2014, 5:26 AM
It could really be any one of about 5 or 6 teams at the moment, none have looked invincible. Great stuff.

Romford Pele
June 24th, 2014, 5:31 AM
True. i got Brazil in my office sweepstake and put £10 at 4/1 on Argentina (each way) but could end up being anyone at this rate.

Ringo
June 24th, 2014, 5:43 AM
Snejder needs to get back to his form of 5/6 years ago and dictate games if they are to get past QF stage but they have match winners.

If they beat Mexico it's probably going to be Costa Rica or Ivory Coast in the quarters so they could well get to the semis without too much trouble. Not that I want to write off the other teams so easily, but they'll be heavy favourites.

Romford Pele
June 24th, 2014, 5:59 AM
On another point, I saw Portugals equaliser from Sunday - Ronaldo didnt even celebrate it, he just cannot stand it when he is not centre of attention can he?

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2014, 6:28 AM
On another point, I saw Portugals equaliser from Sunday - Ronaldo didnt even celebrate it, he just cannot stand it when he is not centre of attention can he?

Or maybe he was fucked off at the shite display from the rest of the team over the two games.

Romford Pele
June 24th, 2014, 6:29 AM
So you wouldnt celebrate a last minute goal that keeps you in the world cup? Behave.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2014, 6:35 AM
I don't see why he would if he was fucked off. I certainly wouldn't.

Romford Pele
June 24th, 2014, 6:51 AM
I bet if it was he that had scored, he would be giving the big un like he did when he scored the irrelevant fourth goal in the Champions League final. It is all ego.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2014, 7:07 AM
Nah wrong.

Romford Pele
June 24th, 2014, 7:30 AM
Nope.

thegoat
June 24th, 2014, 7:45 AM
I did think that he wasn't celebrating at the time but assumed it was because he'd been preparing himself for his usual massive cry when Portugal go out of a tournament and just wasn't able to switch emotions so quickly.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2014, 7:45 AM
Yup

Mik
June 24th, 2014, 8:38 AM

He was centre of attention, it was all about his cross.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 24th, 2014, 8:59 AM
Why would he celebrate, they're practically out anyway. I think the guy does try to get that memorable pic when something happens, like dropping to the floor on his own when Man Utd won the Champs League instead of running over with the rest of his team or whipping his shirt off after his peno in the last final, but he had spent the USA game watching a real display of ineptitude on behalf of his colleagues and then produced the sort of quality that none of the rest of them could manage to provide for him to set-up a goal that was really too little, too late. He spent the game making good runs that his team mates just couldn't find. Eder was absolutely terrible. It wouldn't be terribly surprising if he jacks in international football after this tournament. Portugal look spent. It's easy to forget that before the Costa/Figo/Pinto generation they hadn't gone to a tournament in years and they could easily return to mediocrity for a while.

MMH
June 24th, 2014, 5:06 PM
I didnt realise that Ronaldo has that weird shaving in his hair for a reason.

Hes not all bad I suppose.

MMH
June 26th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Looking at the weather in Recife if anybody hadnt backed a draw before hand I would be lumping on about now.

Romford Pele
June 26th, 2014, 11:38 AM
0-0?

Simon
June 26th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I didnt realise that Ronaldo has that weird shaving in his hair for a reason.

Hes not all bad I suppose.

Increasingly it seems to me that Ronaldo is a decent bloke who happens to be easily dislikeable, I'm always hearing stories of him doing all these humble, decent things that are at odds with the public perception of him. Whereas stories are starting to creep out about Messi that makes him seem the other way around, a seemingly likeable chap who does actually have a bit of a dark side - over the past year I've heard various stories about him being insubordinate to Vilanova and Martino, and also pushing for Tevez to be continually left out of the Argentina squad. Obviously it's all conjecture though.

Simon
June 26th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I've had the idea banging around my head for some time but I am actually now fairly comfortable with the idea that the Yanks, when it comes to football, are actually quite likeable. I don't know if it's because it's a sub-culture over there and so pulls in a different crowd to the arseholes that follow Yankball and baseball or what, but American soccer fans that I encounter seem very passionate and knowledgable about the game (in the way that fans of minority sports tend to be, I guess) without any of the insane nationalistic bullshit that they have in their culture in general. The team is pretty likeable as well - not exceptionally talented but hard-working and well-drilled.

So yeah...cards on the table, I like the Yanks and would like to see them do well.

Of course the problem with that is that if they strart doing well, the sport will grow in popularity and the rest of the country will get into it, and they'll be a horrendous, detestable superpower in football by 2022 or earlier.

Chris Scott
June 26th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Come on Germany and USA.

wardy
June 26th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I've always liked the Yanks as a team. Get with it Simon. Hoping they snatch a win here. Bruv.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 26th, 2014, 1:12 PM
People have been saying the USA will be a football superpower for ages. It will never happen. They'll always be a decent team and that's about it.

Percussion
June 26th, 2014, 1:17 PM
Superpower is a tall order, especially given the amount of diversity of sport offered here. But there is a pretty big gap between decent and superpower that we can still fill in the coming years and find ourselves more and more competitive.

MMH
June 26th, 2014, 2:01 PM
When did Clint Dempsey turn into a modern day Socrates? Been doing sexual backheels all over the place in the world cup.

Fanny Batter
June 26th, 2014, 2:44 PM
What's everybody fancying from here on out then? You'd have to consider either Algeria or Russia to be massive underdogs against Germany so the line up is pretty much settled.

Brazil vs. Chile is the tie of the second round for me. Chile were perhaps flattered by Spain's lack of urgency and Australia's lack of experience at the back, but they're still a good team with a lot of attacking talent that might give Brazil trouble, as well as a lot of defensive discipline. If they can take Neymar out the game they've got a great chance. Before the last games I was pretty confident that they could take Brazil but the mixture of Neymar taking off and Chile's slack play against Holland makes me lean towards Brazil.

Colombia beat Uruguay. They won't be very good without Suarez, easily their best player and attacking outlet. Their defense should get torn to pieces by Colombia's talent up front. I think it'll be tense as a lot of the Colombians don't have big match experience, but I think they'll take the lead after half time and win quite comfortably.

France vs. Nigeria. Nothing I've seen from Nigeria tell me they'll beat France. Could be a good open game if they come out looking for goals though.

Germany will beat Russia or (hopefully) Algeria.

Holland vs. Mexico will be great, Mexico are well drilled and looked good on the counter. Robben and Van Persie look good though, and beating Chile when they didn't need to shows they've got good depth and attitude this time around.

Costa Rica will surely handle Greece. Surely.

Argies beat the Swiss.

Fancy America to beat Belgium.

Brazil/Colombia, France/Germany, Argies/USA, Holland/Costa Rica. Brazil/Germany, Argies/Holland. Brazil/Argies. Argies.

Judas Iscariot
June 26th, 2014, 2:51 PM
People have been saying the USA will be a football superpower for ages. It will never happen. They'll always be a decent team and that's about it.

Yeah it's not likely to happen, but the interest in soccer over here and the growth of MLS and the fact that most of our players play in Europe has grown exponentially even over just the last eight years.

The ratings for the US matches here have been higher than the Stanley Cup Finals, the NBA Finals and the World Series, which is mental.

Superpower is a tall order, especially given the amount of diversity of sport offered here. But there is a pretty big gap between decent and superpower that we can still fill in the coming years and find ourselves more and more competitive.

Exactly. There isn't the money in soccer here that there is in the four other major sports. Imagine if Kobe Bryant had stuck with soccer? What if Lebron James, Mike Trout, or Calvin Johnson only had soccer to ply their trade as professional athletes? Our national team would be terrifying. But the money is in other sports here.

_me
June 26th, 2014, 2:55 PM
I feel like there is a huge gap between the top 2 sports in America (NFL and NBA) and everything else. If the MLS could ever make it into the discussion for 3rd (with MLB, NHL, MMA, etc) then I could see America turning into a nation that could compete for a World Cup. Until then, it is too niche to attract the elite athletes it takes to be world-class and that other nations have playing. I would say that none of Americas top 1000 "athletes" play soccer (probably 5000 or more). Once the elite 8 yr olds are deciding they want to be the next Ronaldo or Messi instead of LeBron or Peyton Manning, the USA will be something to see but not before then.

_me
June 26th, 2014, 3:04 PM
Pointless question with no correct answer - Which American professional athlete, if you gave him the exact same physical and mental skills he had in his real sport but had him grow up in England or Brazil and thus become a soccer prodigy instead of a ____ prodigy, would have been the best?

My answer is Allen Iverson. Had a perfect soccer body - ultra quick, unbelievable balance, tough SOB.

Judas Iscariot
June 26th, 2014, 5:41 PM
Kobe Bryant.

Grew up playing soccer already, insane athlete and completely focused on winning like a man possessed.

Maybe not at this point in his career, but in his prime he'd have been Captain America.

Bluemoon
June 26th, 2014, 5:58 PM
The ratings for the US matches here have been higher than the Stanley Cup Finals, the NBA Finals and the World Series, which is mental.

What seriously?

Bluemoon
June 26th, 2014, 5:59 PM
USA got out their group, Hodgson is a shit manager.

RFF Champ
June 26th, 2014, 6:22 PM
When did Clint Dempsey turn into a modern day Socrates? Been doing sexual backheels all over the place in the world cup.

Dempsey has always looked an excellent footballer. His close control is amazing, he never loses the ball in tight spaces which is ideal for 'weaker sides'. He always said he was going to play Champions League but never got the move to prove himself at a better level.

The problem is managers get tricked into playing him up front because of his goalscoring record and he scores so many important goals. First problem is that he's lazy and won't press the ball particularly when it's not an important game. His movement is better cutting in from the left. I'd have been interested to see whether the result would have been different if the USA had Altidore causing problems up front and Dempsey helping Bradley to keep the ball higher up the pitch.

DaSaintFan
June 26th, 2014, 8:05 PM
If altidore had been available for the last two games, I think you'd have seen different outcomes.. either Dempsey would have had more shot opportunities, due to Altidore drawing all the atention, or less attack time with Bradley resulting in fewer mistakes.

It's possible Altidore will be back for the Belgium game (iffy, but possible), and I think you'll see more attacking from the US in that regard.

_me
June 27th, 2014, 1:54 AM
Kobe Bryant.

Grew up playing soccer already, insane athlete and completely focused on winning like a man possessed.

Maybe not at this point in his career, but in his prime he'd have been Captain America.
isn't Kobe too tall? what other soccer players are 6'6?

Version 6
June 27th, 2014, 2:01 AM
Peter Crouch and Fernando Llorente are probably that tall.

Judas Iscariot
June 27th, 2014, 3:22 AM
Actually, I hadn't thought about height at all, so my bad.

But we could hypothetically field an entire squad of nearly 7 foot tall fit monsters.

Imagine that.

JP
June 27th, 2014, 3:37 AM
Nikola Zigic, 6'7"

Legend.

McBain
June 27th, 2014, 4:18 AM
Shelton Benjamin.

Just because.

Torn
June 27th, 2014, 5:05 AM
If altidore had been available for the last two games, I think you'd have seen different outcomes.. either Dempsey would have had more shot opportunities, due to Altidore drawing all the atention, or less attack time with Bradley resulting in fewer mistakes.

It's possible Altidore will be back for the Belgium game (iffy, but possible), and I think you'll see more attacking from the US in that regard.

Well the slight problem with that is that Altidore is a bit shit.

McBain
June 27th, 2014, 5:16 AM
Dempsey definitely needs someone to play off.

RFF Champ
June 27th, 2014, 5:17 AM
Well the slight problem with that is that Altidore is a bit shit.

He's not that bad and it drastically improves Dempsey's contribution to the team. It'll be a massive boost in my opinion.

Red Dog
June 27th, 2014, 9:55 AM
*Football

_me
June 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Actually, I hadn't thought about height at all, so my bad.

But we could hypothetically field an entire squad of nearly 7 foot tall fit monsters.

Imagine that.
A team full of NBA point guards (Westbrook, DRose, John Wall, etc) and stretch forwards (Blake, LeBron, etc) and NFL receivers or running backs (Calvin, Shady McCoy, Peterson) and corners (Patrick Peterson, Revis) would be pretty staggering athletically.

Every players would be at least 6'0 200 and run a 4.5.

Simon
June 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Get this basketball baseball fuckrie out of the World Cup thread.

_me
June 27th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Get this basketball baseball fuckrie out of the World Cup thread.
I actually hate basketball. But there are no world cup games today. We have to talk about something until tomorrow.

Simon
June 27th, 2014, 11:14 AM
LeBron with the trips-score into the hanging garden, high victory for the New York Tall Blacks!

El Capitano Gatisto
June 27th, 2014, 11:20 AM
It's all bollocks anyway, it's like saying if all rugby and cricket players played football instead, England would have a world beater of a team. Every country has competing sports vying for the best athletes, even in Ireland there's rugby and GAA that are enormously popular. Having a supply of big fast men means nothing, either. They need to be good at football.

The USA having other popular sports of their own is besides the point. The reason they will never amount to anything in world football is because of the systems in place and the culture of college sport. Every other nation has the most promising players at professional clubs quite early on, whereas in the US the college sports system is the funnel for young players to get their training. Allied to there not being any money for domestic players in the US, this means that their most promising players, unless willing to move to Europe at a young age, are not going to be playing professional football until their early 20s. Perhaps this system is changing, regardless the coaching and youth set-ups in the US have a long way to catch up with the rest of the world. There's no onus on large numbers of American kids to leave their home country to take a risk on a football career as there is for African kids who are picked up by European teams in droves.

The USA hasn't produced a single world class player of note. Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride, Tim Howard and a handful of others have all been decent players but not even close to the top tier of talent. Not even producing one such player yet suggests that producing the several required to have a team able to compete at a World Cup is a long, long way off.

Torn
June 27th, 2014, 11:20 AM
A team full of NBA point guards (Westbrook, DRose, John Wall, etc) and stretch forwards (Blake, LeBron, etc) and NFL receivers or running backs (Calvin, Shady McCoy, Peterson) and corners (Patrick Peterson, Revis) would be pretty staggering athletically.

Every players would be at least 6'0 200 and run a 4.5.

The best player in the world is a small white man.

son_of_foley
June 27th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks mate
x

_me
June 27th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I tend to agree, which is why my original answer was Iverson. I was more referring to Judas' comment about a team of 7' monsters when I made that list.

son_of_foley
June 27th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Imagine Jamaicas sprinters all playing for the REGGAE BOYZ maybe they wouldn't have got fucked by france so hard. YEOOOO