PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2014 - Group E (Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras)

Beefy
June 11th, 2014, 5:39 AM
Please use this thread for prediction and match discussion for this Group.

Bad Collin
June 15th, 2014, 10:49 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing this France team

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 10:54 AM
They looked very impressive in drilling Jamaica 8-0 last week in a friendly. I've got a double on France to win with Benzema to score any time + Argentina to win, but I've been let down so many times by France in the past with bets. Basically every time I ever bet on them, they fuck it all up. They owe me big time.

RFF Champ
June 15th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Didn't fancy adding Switzerland Cappy?

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 11:12 AM
No, but I stuck five on the Swiss to win with both teams to score. They're a decent side but Ecuador looked decent enough too in the draws with England and Holland in the warm-ups, so I don't think a draw is out of the question there.

RFF Champ
June 15th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Personally trying to avoid looking too much into the friendlies. Age of the key Swiss players here: Inler 29, Lichtsteiner 30, Behrami 29, Barnetta 29, Benaglio 30. Beat Spain 4yrs ago so maybe peaking now. Young talent like Shaqiri, Schar and Drmic added too. I don't think they're under the radar or anything, they'll make no great shakes but they're solid. Ecuador just 3 points away from home in qualifying, draws against Venezuela, Bolivia and Uruguay. Rarely a factor outside of Ecuador.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 11:31 AM
The friendlies give an insight as to how the World Cup squad is doing, as long as there's not too much experimentations, possibly moreso than for qualification in the South American series which involves a lot of travel. Uruguay always scrape through, for example, when they make it. The difficulty of the away ties Ecuador face there shouldn't really be underestimated either. They're a strong enough side and have got out of their group in the past. I have the Swiss to win but a draw wouldn't surprise me.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Drmic and Stocker. It's arguable the Swiss have the best manager in the tournament as well in Hitzfield. It's surprising he isn't linked with more big club jobs.

turdpower
June 15th, 2014, 12:33 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24565655

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 1:03 PM
Stocker subbed already. The Swiss looked woeful in that first half. Behrami barely looked professional. Shaqiri was fucking awful.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 1:07 PM
Bad defending for both goals. I appreciate this development for my small bet.

MMH
June 15th, 2014, 1:50 PM
Stocker subbed already. The Swiss looked woeful in that first half. Behrami barely looked professional. Shaqiri was fucking awful.

I have never been that impressed by Shaqiri. All style and no substance. Also looks about 2 stone overweight.

Behrami has been shocking today. Did great for the goal then though....

turdpower
June 15th, 2014, 1:57 PM
Maybe I've got some blinkers on, but is every world cup this fucking exciting? :hyper:

Ringo
June 15th, 2014, 1:57 PM
Well into that. Lovely lovely Switzerland.

also:

15 goals at this stage in 2010. 25 in the entire first round of games. There's already been 31, twice as many!

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 2:00 PM
Switzerland looked very mediocre, as did Ecuador. France should fill their boots in this group if they have their heads together. I'm glad my bet came up but there wasn't much quality on show there. Shaqiri was so bad, just so stupid in possession, fucked up almost every cross or corner he delivered. The Swiss had 7 or 8 corners and only one was delivered properly, Switzerland scored. That is criminal, seeing how bad Ecuador defended that corner and not being able to deliver the corners correctly into the box. Behrami was shocking all game until that last bit of play for the goal, he was just laughably crap at times.

Jefferson Montero is an interesting player. He is so quick and loves taking players on.

wardy
June 15th, 2014, 3:48 PM
Tyrion Valbuena looking good.

Grimario
June 15th, 2014, 3:51 PM
World rankings aside, Honduras has to be the shittest team at this tournament, surely?

And Palacios, what a maroon.

son_of_foley
June 15th, 2014, 4:08 PM
How fucking stupid is Pearce?

son_of_foley
June 15th, 2014, 4:09 PM
Like how does he not understand that the first hit wasn't in and the 2nd was. He's questionning replays because he's a fucking simpleton

MMH
June 15th, 2014, 4:10 PM
How fucking stupid is Pearce?

Incredibly so. Im amazed at how moronic he is being here, its not hard is it? First part wasnt a goal, second part was.

son_of_foley
Sack him. Just sack him. Keown has explained what happened 3 times and he just doesn't understand

Mikey_Jones
This is infuriating. He's talking about controversy when it clearly crossed the line

Jay
I know, and the fans - why are they booing? Fair enough it shouldn't have said "no goal", but that was on the first instance when it hit the post. When it came off the keeper, the technology showed that it was over the line. What's the problem?

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 4:11 PM
Fuck me what is the fucking fuss here? Why is Jonathon Pearce being such a fucking moron, we all knew the one off the post wasn't fucking in you twat, it was the one off the keeper we were waiting for. The goal line technology worked perfectly you stupid fat fuck.

Torn
Fucking Robot Wars guy.

Beefy
What happened? I was rewatching the England match (we lost :( ).

son_of_foley
He's a fucking dickhead I'm more angry than I should be about this

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 4:12 PM
I'm really angry because he's trying to make controversy over nothing. Typical of fucking football commentators, it worked perfectly and he's trying to make out there's a problem. Typical Luddite wanker shite, he's casting aspersions on the technology for absolutely no reason other than it being new.

Jay
June 15th, 2014, 4:13 PM
Fucking hell, of course it's an own goal, you fucking dickhead. Jesus.

Torn
June 15th, 2014, 4:13 PM
His "OHHHH THEY'VE CHANGED THEIR MINDS" comment almost made me want to punch the TV more than Rooney stealing the ball off Barkley yesterday.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 4:14 PM
The ref knew straight away it was a goal too, there was no delay. This is literally the very reason this technology has been introduced and we should all be happy.

turdpower
June 15th, 2014, 4:15 PM
But guys, it's supposed to be a flawless system - and it's not the same one we use in the Premier League, so it must be shit!

son_of_foley
June 15th, 2014, 4:17 PM
He won't climb down either. I honestly think he'll mention it when summing up. The BBC should make an apology for him maybe Thierry Henry

turdpower
What happened? I was rewatching the England match (we lost :( ).

Benzema hits a shot, which hits the post and goes back across the line, goalkeeper has a fumble and clears it - ref gives the goal.

Then Jonathan Pearce goes mental about goaline tech not working when they show the ball hitting the post was "NO GOAL". But then waits two seconds to see the one across the line was a "GOAL", then he starts moaning about the system for no reason.

Ringo
Richard Keys too.

@richardajkeys: That wasn't in. At any time. Told you this technology wasn't fool proof.

Jesus.

Grimario
June 15th, 2014, 4:18 PM
I don't know who our commentator is here but he won't shut the fuck up about CONTROVERSY. And now he has just gone "ooooh, we have word from FIFA that it's been ruled an own goal!"

Fucks sake. Ref called it a goal, had no doubt. Tech just proved it. How the fuck is ANYONE confused?

Can't understand why I am SO RILED UP about such a thing.

Coffee.

turdpower
JP needs someone to Truth him.

But they did give the goal...

turdpower
Hey Grim, you've got our comms :)

El Capitano Gatisto
June 15th, 2014, 4:19 PM
Pat Nevin saying it wasn't a goal either apparently, even though there are non-technology photos showing it was over. Jesus Christ.

Grimario
June 15th, 2014, 4:19 PM
Hey Grim, you've got our comms :)

Jonathan Pearce? But why do you lot keep saying Keown keeps correcting him... we just have ONE person talking.

son_of_foley
June 15th, 2014, 4:21 PM
Richard Keys too.

@richardajkeys: That wasn't in. At any time. Told you this technology wasn't fool proof.

Jesus.
Well nobody should question the eyesight of an old wino perv . Lets chalk that goal off

turdpower
June 15th, 2014, 4:23 PM
Now he gives a goal that goes wide :lol:

turdpower
Jonathan Pearce? But why do you lot keep saying Keown keeps correcting him... we just have ONE person talking.

Oh maybe you don't have him. Is he an English guy?

Torn
"3-0 what a goal!"

As the ball is rolling miles to the side of the goal :lol:

Grimario
June 15th, 2014, 4:26 PM
Oh maybe you don't have him. Is he an English guy?

Yeah. We only have Australians on Australian games. We have had Martin Tyler, Gary Bloom and Jon Champion.

Today it is John Roder, apparently.

MMH
June 15th, 2014, 4:27 PM
Now he gives a goal that goes wide :lol:

"we were in a restaurant last night.."

No shit, maybe you should have got an early night.

Grimario
June 15th, 2014, 4:29 PM
"we were in a restaurant last night.."

No shit, maybe you should have got an early night.

I am guessing the commentary boxes are low and on the far side. Our commentator said ""And a third goal! Ohh.. ohhh, what an optical illusion, from the angle I'm sitting in that looked like goal number three"

turdpower
June 15th, 2014, 4:30 PM
The CONTROVERSY of the second goal.

Does he not have a producer or something that can whisper in his ear and tell him it's fine?

Hlebsfall
June 15th, 2014, 4:33 PM
The CONTROVERSY of the second goal.

Does he not have a producer or something that can whisper in his ear and tell him it's fine?

He seems like he's a massive wanker, so they're probably happy to let him make himself look like an absolute cunt.

Pablo Diablo
June 15th, 2014, 4:33 PM
I am guessing the commentary boxes are low and on the far side. Our commentator said ""And a third goal! Ohh.. ohhh, what an optical illusion, from the angle I'm sitting in that looked like goal number three"

I think we have the same.

Grimario
June 15th, 2014, 4:34 PM
"There will be plenty of talk and debate about that second goal but that third was a wonderful shot"

WHY? FFS.

Grimario
June 15th, 2014, 4:40 PM
So happy that the first time a team has set up to not lose, they get pasted.

Bad Collin
June 15th, 2014, 5:02 PM
I hate Honduras and Eduador, dirty fucks. I hope they get smashed in every game from now on.

Grimario
June 18th, 2014, 10:30 PM
So, Australian ref Ben Williams is in charge of Honduras v Ecuador. He is the most card happy ref in the A-League and (at least here), you can get ~$3.38 for a red card any time.

That almost seems like printing money unless the FIFA directive is LESS cards.

Prototype16
June 19th, 2014, 4:13 AM
In that case Honduras will be lucky to finish with eight men if they play like they did against England and France

Grimario
June 19th, 2014, 8:54 PM
Yep, that's my thinking.

greebull
June 20th, 2014, 2:17 PM
SCENARIOS FOR TODAY'S GAMES:
(3PM ET: France vs. Switz... 6PM ET: Ecuador vs. Honduras)

-LOSER of Ecuador/Honduras is ELIMINATED from contention. (If they TIE: They're both still "alive.")

-SWITZ would clinch and advance with a WIN (vs. FRANCE) + Ecuador/Honduras TIE

-FRANCE would clinch and advance with:
(1) WIN + ECUADOR LOSS
or
(2) WIN + ECUADOR/HONDURAS TIE

MMH
June 20th, 2014, 3:18 PM
Behrami is having a ridiculously shit world cup. What the fuck was that??

El Capitano Gatisto
June 20th, 2014, 3:20 PM
Switzerland are crap.

MMH
June 20th, 2014, 3:22 PM
I dont think they are, they have just shit themselves as per usual.

I dont really get Shaqiri either. Always struck me as a fat waster. Again like Greece last night though I dont get what they are trying to do by sitting back. France will destroy them if they keep doing that.

wardy
June 20th, 2014, 3:35 PM
Against crap opposition, France have been my team of the tournament so far.

MMH
June 20th, 2014, 3:40 PM
Switzerland are crap.

Pablo Diablo
June 20th, 2014, 3:41 PM
Haha he's so short.

Romford Pele
June 20th, 2014, 4:49 PM
France look very solid, good at the back and a threat going forward

Romford Pele
June 20th, 2014, 4:59 PM
I say that and they let 2 goals in. Jinx

Prototype16
June 20th, 2014, 5:04 PM
You know it's a good tournament when France/Switzerland turns into a goal fest. Impressive stuff from the French - fast, powerful football. The Swiss were poor but it's good to see a free kick finally go in, and Xhaka's goal was good

Romford Pele
June 20th, 2014, 5:07 PM
Will be very interesting when France play one of the better sides, good game

Ringo
June 25th, 2014, 4:29 PM
The fuck was Sakho doing earlier? Should have gone surely.

Pablo Diablo
June 25th, 2014, 5:14 PM
That's a bit harsh of a red.

Badger
June 25th, 2014, 5:49 PM
Amazing how this has stayed goalless.

Ringo
June 25th, 2014, 5:53 PM
Annoying too. I got in just after the 5th goal in the Argies/Nigeria game. Watched about 120 minutes of football tonight. NOGOALS.