PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2014 - Group A (Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon)

Beefy
June 11th, 2014, 5:36 AM
Please use this thread for prediction and match discussion for this Group.

Simon
June 11th, 2014, 6:14 AM
BUZZING. Brazil vs Croatia is a decent opening game, plenty of players I'm excited about seeing more of. Got to fancy the two of them to go through with Mexico having a poor qualification run and Cameroon not having a great squad.

Ringo
June 11th, 2014, 6:33 AM
Yeah hope it's a good one. I remember the tournament took a while to get going in 2010. There was about 5 goals in the first few days of games. Also remember how absolutely chuffed everyone was when SHABALALA scored that great first goal for South Africa only for Mexico to ruin the party late on. Then there was that really disappointing France/Uruguay 0-0 draw.

Come on, let's have some GOALS.

Unlike the one Beefy posted this pitch looks good:

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpf1/t51.2885-15/10431884_1521776251383829_1658803036_n.jpg

...even though the stadium itself isn't finished.

Simon
June 11th, 2014, 8:04 AM
If Neymar scores early on, I wonder if the commentator will call it "a goal for all of South America". I definitely think Argentina will be delighted to see Brazil doing well.

Romford Pele
June 11th, 2014, 8:18 AM
I'm looking forward to the cameraman perving on all the fit brazilian birds in the crowd.

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 3:03 AM
Going with a bunch of Croatians to a Croatian bar to watch the opener.

I'll let ya'll know if horrible things happen.

Romford Pele
June 12th, 2014, 4:11 AM
I'm guessing you are in Croatia.

Grimario
June 12th, 2014, 4:20 AM

He's in the US... if I had any Croatian mates here in Australia, I would go down to the Croatian Club and watch the opening game with them as well.

Torn
June 12th, 2014, 4:41 AM

:lol: what

Yeah because I say I'm going down to the English bar every time I go in this country too

Romford Pele
June 12th, 2014, 5:02 AM
I have never heard of a Croatian bar thats all - quite random, certainly none I know in the UK

Simon
June 12th, 2014, 5:10 AM
You never been to the Croatiatown part of Hammersmith?

Grimario
June 12th, 2014, 7:28 AM
I have never heard of a Croatian bar thats all - quite random, certainly none I know in the UK

Not a lot of Croatian immigrants into the UK over the years? Lots of economic and political refugees came to Australia from Croatia... I assume it's the same in the US.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 3:21 PM
Tweeted pictures of the teamsheets list Kovacic as starting but everyone is saying Brozovic is. It's the 98 world cup final all over again.

Grimario
June 12th, 2014, 3:28 PM
Tweeted pictures of the teamsheets list Kovacic as starting but everyone is saying Brozovic is. It's the 98 world cup final all over again.

Think these are the teams... someone else posted these tactics, no idea how accurate they are.

Brazil (4-2-3-1)

Júlio César – Dani Alves, David Luiz, Thiago Silva, Marcelo – Luiz Gustavo, Paulinho – Hulk, Oscar, Neymar – Fred

Subs: Jefferson, Fernandinho, Dante, Maxwell, Henrique, Ramires, Hernanes, Willian, Bernard, Jô, Victor, Maicon

Croatia (4-2-3-1)

Pletikosa - Srna, Ćorluka , Lovren, Vrsaljko – Modrić, Rakitić - Perišić, Kovačić, Olić - Jelavić

Subs: Pranjić, Vukojević, Zelenika, Schildenfeld, Brozović, Badelj, Rebić, Mandžukić, Sammir, Vida, Eduardo Da Silva, Subašić

Grimario
June 12th, 2014, 3:30 PM
And yet someone else entirely (and most of twitter has)...

Croatia XI: Pletikosa (GK), Srna, Corluka, Lovren, Vrsaijko, Brozovic, Modric, Rakitic, Perisic, Olic, Jelavic. #BRAvsCRO
Brazil XI: Julio César (GK), Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Marcelo, Luiz Gustavo, Paulinho, Oscar, Hulk, Fred, Neymar. #BRAvsCRO

Beefy
June 12th, 2014, 3:30 PM
I used my free Paddy Power €5 bet on Croatia to beat Neymar.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 3:41 PM
It is Kovacic after all :yes: Good stuff.

Prototype16
June 12th, 2014, 3:45 PM
Never seen him play before but seems highly rated so I'm interested to see him, and Modric and Rakitic are quality - could make it an awkward opener for Brazil. Should be fun

RFF Champ
June 12th, 2014, 3:46 PM
I used my free Paddy Power €5 bet on Croatia to beat Neymar.

Come on Croatia, do it for the good guys.

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 3:50 PM
Not a lot of Croatian immigrants into the UK over the years? Lots of economic and political refugees came to Australia from Croatia... I assume it's the same in the US.

Yeah she has a lot of family in Australia and Germany.

Astoria, Queens is teeming with them. There are several Croatian bars and restaurants.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 4:13 PM
Classic Jelavic goal...

Beefy
June 12th, 2014, 4:13 PM
Didn't realise how much I wanted Croatia to win until kick off

Andy
June 12th, 2014, 4:18 PM
Croatian midfield bossing this on the counter attack.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 4:21 PM
Ivica Olic must be about 90 now.

Still a classy player. Always thought he was massively underrated.

Hlebsfall
June 12th, 2014, 4:21 PM
Couldn't see the goal, it was stuck behind that massive fucking score graphic that ITV have decided to use. How do they manage to fuck up literally everything when it comes to football.

Hlebsfall
June 12th, 2014, 4:23 PM
Oh yeah, and I want Croatia to win, because I put 2 pound on them at 14s before the game. Monster odds.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 4:29 PM
Couldn't see the goal, it was stuck behind that massive fucking score graphic that ITV have decided to use. How do they manage to fuck up literally everything when it comes to football.

They really are terrible. They make any match 20% worse somehow. They have some good pundits today but just ask them shit questions too.

At the risk of sounding like an old git these modern football boots are shit. Look at them! Bunch of massive fannies.

JP
June 12th, 2014, 4:31 PM
Elbows player in the face, only gets a yellow, scores minutes later.

Please don't be that kind of World Cup.

MMH
"scuffed it" Fantastic finish that.

Pablo Diablo
At first I thought, greedy selfish shot. Still think it, but very good positioning.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 4:32 PM
Elbows player in the face, only gets a yellow, scores minutes later.

Please don't be that kind of World Cup.

Meh it was more of a stroke of his face.

JP
June 12th, 2014, 4:33 PM
Meh it was more of a stroke of his face.

Not at all, look at the damage it did to Modric's fac...never mind.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 12th, 2014, 4:48 PM
I had some money on Neymar to score anytime at 8/11 - not great odds and I was shitting myself when he probably should have went... I'm slightly happier now!

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:09 PM
Very good first half. Can see Croatia holding out and it staying 1-1.

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:26 PM
YES, loving the magic spray to draw the line for the wall.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 12th, 2014, 5:28 PM
Me too. I'd not read much about this World Cup but that's genius... They need to bring that in everywhere. Simple and effective.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 12th, 2014, 5:29 PM
Oof! Penalty!

They can't gangbang the ref like this.... eesh

Very soft penalty... disappointing way to win a game this... If they score, Croatia will probably come back out and batter them for 10minutes before conceding a 3rd.

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:31 PM
Soft pen but nowadays refs are going to give them.

Beefy
Disgraceful decision.

MMH
Soft pen but nowadays refs are going to give them.

For what? He didnt touch him!

Fucking disgrace that.

Canuck
June 12th, 2014, 5:32 PM
Yeah, this ref has been shit.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 5:34 PM
Yeah, this ref has been shit.

I thought he had been fine until then. Not blaming the ref though. Cheating cunts its pathetic.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 5:34 PM
Yeah, super soft. Ref looked terrified.

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:35 PM
His arm touches Fred shoulder you know what refs are like. I agree never a pen.

JP
Well fuck me, this is deflating.

JP

What?

No, not all refs are atrocious and football is a contact sport.

Canuck
June 12th, 2014, 5:36 PM
I thought he had been fine until then. Not blaming the ref though. Cheating cunts its pathetic.

Probably biased, but it has been looking like he's letting more slide for Brazil. Nothing major, but I'm not fussy on his decisions.

turdpower
June 12th, 2014, 5:36 PM
Thread per match is not a goer then.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 5:37 PM

He cant not put some sort of challenge in though. Bollocks to the ref, if these cunts didnt cheat it wouldnt be given.

God im annoyed.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 5:37 PM
33rd Brazil goal for Neymar. Equals Jairzinho and Ronaldinho. Could pass Rivaldo and maybe even Bebeto in this tournament and be top 5 already.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 5:39 PM
On and the ITV live website is currently performing maintenance that could be going on for an hour.

Are they for fucking real?

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:39 PM
What?

No, not all refs are atrocious and football is a contact sport.

I know. But they always say they want get away with it in World Cups with refs etc

Like someone mentioned Ref was scared not to give it maybe.

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:40 PM
He cant not put some sort of challenge in though. Bollocks to the ref, if these cunts didnt cheat it wouldnt be given.

God im annoyed.

Well just think how many more cheat stuff will be happening for the next 4 weeks.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 5:40 PM
Thread per match is not a goer then.

Probably would work if it was posted before the game as opposed to half way through I reckon.

turdpower
June 12th, 2014, 5:43 PM
Just transfer into it mate, embrace it.

JP
If that was given as a foul we're getting into South Korea vs Italy territory.

The Rosk
Brazil look shit.

MMH
Just transfer into it mate, embrace it.

Try again tomorrow?

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:45 PM
Brazil look shit.

They do don't they.

turdpower
June 12th, 2014, 5:45 PM
I won't be about, but yes - you do it mate.

Chris Scott
June 12th, 2014, 5:46 PM
GO ON CROATIA

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 5:46 PM
Brazil look shit.

They really are. Just a bunch of snides these days.

turdpower
June 12th, 2014, 5:50 PM
:lol:

How have Brazil won this 3-1?

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 5:51 PM
Shocking defending that.

Canuck
Well deserved goal. Best player today.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
Toe poke of doom.

Bennedy
June 12th, 2014, 5:52 PM
Oscar has been great.

Ringo
I love Oscar. My prediction for player of the tournament - he's been saving himself for the last 6 months.

Pablo Diablo
Really harsh for Croatia. But really like their chances against Mexico now.

MMH
June 12th, 2014, 5:53 PM
I think David Luiz was MOTM myself. Not a fan of his but a solid showing from him.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 5:56 PM
Yeah they should go through. Tough game in the next round whoever they would end up playing.

Prototype16
June 12th, 2014, 6:01 PM
Good opener, marred by the terrible penalty decision. The ref will probably get the final after that

Judas Iscariot
June 12th, 2014, 6:09 PM
Things are being burned.

MikeHunt
June 12th, 2014, 6:22 PM
Good to see the Brazilians hate chiles as well. Next time throw something bigger, sharper and preferably on fire.

Ringo
June 12th, 2014, 6:26 PM
What happened? Saw some chat on Twitter. Mainly encouraging Chiles' death.

also: Hulk looked shit. Get Willian in there.

Drop Paulinho for Ramires while you're at it Phil.

MikeHunt
June 12th, 2014, 6:46 PM
A protest and some rocks were thrown at the glass studio. Sadly not hard enough.

turdpower
June 13th, 2014, 2:57 AM
They should go to the actual stadiums and throw rocks at Andy Townsend.

MikeHunt
June 13th, 2014, 3:02 AM
irish caps, english heart, complete fucking arsehole.

turdpower
June 13th, 2014, 3:03 AM
I'm stealing that.

Gary J
June 13th, 2014, 3:18 AM
I think David Luiz was MOTM myself. Not a fan of his but a solid showing from him.

I thought Luiz was pretty good last night too. I seem to recall him being pretty good during the confederations cup maybe he's like Senderos and looks a far better player when playing for his country.

As for MOTM I thought Gustavo deserved that.

Gary J
June 13th, 2014, 3:19 AM
I too am stealing that Andy Townsend line from MikeHunt.

connorboy
June 13th, 2014, 3:26 AM
They should go to the actual stadiums and throw rocks at Andy Townsend.

The danger is they might hit him too well. You expect better than that at that level

RFF Champ
June 13th, 2014, 3:43 AM
Really liked that finish from Oscar last night. The commentators were criticising the goalkeeper but the technique to take that shot on the run and hit it so sweetly into the corner was great, any keeper would struggle to react to it.

MikeHunt
June 13th, 2014, 3:52 AM
Oscar was the outstanding player last night for me.

Cameroon seem are being underestimated by the media imo. i believe this game has goals. mexico just to sneak it, 3-2.

RFF Champ
June 13th, 2014, 3:57 AM
I agree. Mexico are unknowns. Shit qualifying performance and half the team play in the Mexican league.

MikeHunt
June 13th, 2014, 3:59 AM
to be fair there is tons and tons of cash in that league so the players don't need to leave. just like england but without the worldwide tv exposure, kinda.

RFF Champ
June 13th, 2014, 4:03 AM
Oh I'm sure they're good players but it's difficult to say how they'll play tonight. They were great in the Olympics though.

MikeHunt
June 13th, 2014, 4:47 AM
Is Hernandez not playing today?

Gary J
June 13th, 2014, 4:58 AM
Probably not in the previews I've been reading they were saying he's been mainly a sub for Mexico as they prefer Peralta.

MichaelC
June 13th, 2014, 5:00 AM
Mexico always seem to get out of the groups though. I think they've only failed to get out of the group stage once since 1966. Admittedly, they didn't qualify for 82 or 90. Peralta looked good at the Olympics. Cameroon allegedly in-fighting over payments, manager, etc. Think a draw today, with Croatia/Mexico being the key for 2nd place in the group.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 13th, 2014, 8:10 AM
Really liked that finish from Oscar last night. The commentators were criticising the goalkeeper but the technique to take that shot on the run and hit it so sweetly into the corner was great, any keeper would struggle to react to it.

It was a toe poke. Good idea to use it but it's the easiest thing to do in football. Pletikosa's feet were so slow for both of the non-penalty goals, he really should have got to them. They were well-placed shots but a keeper with better footwork would have saved them.

The referee fucked that game up big time. The penalty was an absolutely disgusting decision and there was no way Olic winning that header over Julio Cesar was a foul. Brazil ought to be embarrassed by that victory. Their midfield is so pedestrian, if Croatia had Mandzukic available I think they would done even more damage. Modric was the classiest player on the pitch.

Bad Collin
June 13th, 2014, 9:15 AM
I'm with Kovac, let's not bother having this world cup if Brazil are going to be handed it. I hope they get dumped out early like last time.

Simon
June 13th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Paulinho once again looked like man who had already played three games before kick off, it's easy to say that Hernanes made the difference seeing as they scored within two minutes of coming on, but he immediately injected a bit of life into the game I thought. Oscar and Neymar were the difference (more great insight Simon, the scorers of the three goals were what swung it Brazil's way, well done) but the rest of the team were pretty poor I thought. Wasn't that impressed with Croatia either in truth - Rakitic and Kovacic didn't live up to the hype and looked vastly inferior to Modric who was superb, although Perisic looked really good down the right and gave Marcelo the drizzling shits throughout.

Quite looking forward to Mexico/Cameroon on the undercard tonight. Packed with FM stars that I've never/hardly ever seen - Herrera, Reyes, Moreno, Aboubakar, Choupou-Moting, Matip, Nkoulou.

Simon
June 13th, 2014, 11:20 AM
It was a toe poke. Good idea to use it but it's the easiest thing to do in football. Pletikosa's feet were so slow for both of the non-penalty goals, he really should have got to them. They were well-placed shots but a keeper with better footwork would have saved them.

The referee fucked that game up big time. The penalty was an absolutely disgusting decision and there was no way Olic winning that header over Julio Cesar was a foul. Brazil ought to be embarrassed by that victory. Their midfield is so pedestrian, if Croatia had Mandzukic available I think they would done even more damage. Modric was the classiest player on the pitch.
The penalty was obviously wrong but I don't think the disallowed goal was particularly bad - I don't think it SHOULD be a foul, but that kind of cheap, easy decision is made all the time now. Cesar seemed to have fucked it regardless of Olic making contact with him though.

Grimario
June 13th, 2014, 11:22 AM
#CMR to play #MEX: Itandje, Assou-Ekotto, Nkoulou, Djeugoue, Song, Moukandjo, Eto'o, Choupo Moting, Chedjou, Mbia, Enoh #WorldCup

#MEX to play #CMR : Ochoa, Rodriguez, Marquez, Herrera, Layun, Dos Santos, Moreno, Guardado, Peralta, Aguilar, Vazquez #WorldCup

Ringo
June 13th, 2014, 11:26 AM
No Aboubakar in the starting XI for Cameroon then. He's been talked up quite a bit in the previews I've seen.

I have no idea what formation that Mexico side are using. Really curious to see how they look here.

Simon
June 13th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Apparently Cameroon are mad even by west African standards, with external pressures making it a complete circus...Eto'o supposedly has been absolutely terrible for them for a year or so, but they are just not allowed to drop him.

Ringo
June 13th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Heard something on the Guardian podcast about their coach Finke having to walk around with an entourage of Cameroonians to educate him about their culture. And some government minister turned up and woke the squad up in the middle of the night to give an hour long speech of encouragement. Sounds fantastic.

edit: and there's Sammy giving the team talk :lol:

Ringo
June 13th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Onside ffs.

edit: fuccck offf. 2 disallowed wrongly for Mexico, 1 correctly for Cameroon.

Simon
June 13th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Another. Ridiculous. Potentially two games out of two ruined by terrible decisions.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Disgraceful decision. Dos Santos was neither beyond the last defender nor was he passed to by one of his own team. Just wrong in every way possible. Fucking terrible.

Grimario
June 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Fucking hell, that is ridiculous.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 13th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Horrific decisions so far... Colombian Mafia must have drawn Cameroon in the drug lord sweepstakes.

Ringo
June 13th, 2014, 1:25 PM
Good. That fat Mexican manager's celebration was absolutely stunning.

MichaelC
June 13th, 2014, 1:25 PM
Mexico deserved that goal.

Ringo
June 13th, 2014, 1:34 PM
http://gfycat.com/RichDarlingCockatiel

Prototype16
June 13th, 2014, 2:02 PM
Cameroon were lucky not to get thrashed there and seem to be getting worse with each world cup. It's going to be close between Croatia and Mexico - that last match could be great

MichaelC
June 13th, 2014, 2:03 PM
Mexico deserved the win. Cameroon were content to sit back for long periods, and Mexico could have been out of sight with a competent referee. Cameroon came more into it near the end, but having had all those errors against them, Mexico deserved some luck, and their keeper saved well late on.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 13th, 2014, 2:18 PM
Cameroon are rubbish. I didn't think they'd be that bad, I think they flattered Mexico a bit. Croatia-Mexico should be a good game, it's really the decider for this group by the looks of it.

RFF Champ
June 13th, 2014, 6:27 PM

Harsh. He's running at full pelt between two defenders and shuffles his feet so he can take it quickly with his right and surprise the keeper, not to mention positioned perfectly.

Kneeneighbor
June 17th, 2014, 3:03 PM
The pace of the first 3 min of this game has been better than any other 3 min I have seen in the tournament.

Xtreme Rebel
June 17th, 2014, 3:07 PM
Referee forgot his whistle in his hotel room it seems. Long as there are no shenanigans like the first game I'm all for letting them play.

Ringo
June 17th, 2014, 3:27 PM
This game's great so far.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 17th, 2014, 3:29 PM
So... why have some of the Brazilian's gone gray/white? :dunno:

turdpower
June 17th, 2014, 3:31 PM
Jonathan Pearce still banging on about goalline tech from the other night :lol:

MMH
June 17th, 2014, 3:31 PM
Oh my God, Pearce STILL doesnt get the goal line replay thing?

And why was he going on about how many murders have happened in the past few days. Its a football match not fucking Panorama.

MMH
June 17th, 2014, 3:32 PM
Jonathan Pearce still banging on about goalline tech from the other night :lol:

Surely its got to be a piss take? Nobody can be that stupid?

Chris
June 17th, 2014, 3:33 PM
Pearce was at it again about the goal-line technology there - "they got it horribly wrong last time...it went Goal, No Goal, Goal". How has he missed all the piss-taking about his previous comments and not realised how unbelievably simple it is?

Ringo
June 17th, 2014, 3:42 PM
Really liking some of the play from the Mexicans.

wardy
June 17th, 2014, 3:48 PM
Oscar is joy to watch. The rest of that midfield can piss off.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 17th, 2014, 3:58 PM
Get Hernanes on. He has a bit of class about him. Paulinho, Gustavo and Ramires are all too ordinary.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 17th, 2014, 4:37 PM
Bosh.... This is not "like watching Brazil"

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 17th, 2014, 4:45 PM
What a fucking idiot, diving like that when he has the ball and a run on his man... fucks sake.

Ringo
June 17th, 2014, 4:51 PM
yeah that wasnt three minutes. prick.

MEXICO. Was dying to see them get a late winner. Pretty impressed with them so far.

Bad Collin
June 17th, 2014, 5:35 PM
Are Pearce and Lawrenson the worst commentary team ever?

Simon
June 18th, 2014, 6:43 PM
Alex Song has a cabbage for a brain, and Grimario is a wanker.

Grimario
June 18th, 2014, 6:50 PM
Alex Song has a cabbage for a brain, and Grimario is a wanker.

Tis true. I even nicknamed it genius so I could cheekily say "I had a stroke of genius" and no one had a clue what I was referring to.

Cabbage is much better than a former Socceroo "legend"... "(someone) is a typical pea-brained African." after something in the COT/JPN game.

Version 6
June 18th, 2014, 6:52 PM
Jesus Christ, who was that? Aloisi?

Grimario
June 18th, 2014, 6:54 PM
Jesus Christ, who was that? Aloisi?

Chipperfield.

He also then went to say "Fuck off calling me racist, I am sitting with Italians and Swiss people"... as if sitting with some European folk reverses that comment.

Version 6
June 18th, 2014, 7:00 PM
Chipperfield.

He also then went to say "Fuck off calling me racist, I am sitting with Italians and Swiss people"... as if sitting with some European folk reverses that comment.

What do you expect from a bogan Wollongong bus driving dickhead.

The Rosk
June 18th, 2014, 7:40 PM
I somehow got Chile Draw No Bet at 4/1 at bet365. Wish I'd put more than a tenner on it but waheyyyyy.

Judas Iscariot
June 18th, 2014, 8:12 PM
AJMO VATRENI

Simon
June 19th, 2014, 4:24 AM
If we get through and play Chile in the quarters we will get absolutely pulverised. That was one of the most terrifying performances I've seen in ages, it felt like they had two players for every one of Spain's.

MMH
June 23rd, 2014, 5:20 PM
This Mexico Croatia match is killing me.

Do something knobheads!

Ringo
June 23rd, 2014, 5:41 PM
Shit, 3-0. One more for Mexico and no more for Brazil and they're top?! Would really change things up. Germany would avoid Brazil until the final, potential Brazil/Argentina semi I think etc. etc.

Ringo
June 23rd, 2014, 5:43 PM
And then Brazil score again so yeah.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 23rd, 2014, 5:59 PM
Mexico have been tactically perfect in every game, they really should be group winners after those awful offside decisions in the first game. Croatia just ran out of steam. The balls in to Mandzukic just weren't good enough and playing Modric further up the pitch hampered their game overall. Also the difference between the two keepers probably counted for a lot in this game and the respective games vs Brazil. I think if Croatia had Ochoa they probably would have beaten Brazil.

RFF Champ
June 23rd, 2014, 6:29 PM
Playing in Manaus ends teams.

Beefy
June 24th, 2014, 4:23 AM
Beefy, what do you see in Mexico? They're the biggest dark horses in that half the team plays in Mexico so they're really hard to judge.

Mexico were rubbish in a pretty weak qualifying series too.

Mexico have been rubbish for a while now, two of their better players wont even play for them, and now they are raking up injuries. You'd get better chance of Brentford getting promoted to the Premiership next season than either of those two in the Semis.

Take that Gringos

RFF Champ
June 24th, 2014, 4:41 AM
They look good but I'm still trying to remember the names of half the team.

Romford Pele
June 24th, 2014, 5:21 AM
I cannot remember a tournament where European teams have done so badly and Central & South American teams have done so well - I'm sure the climate has something to do with it but still.

England, Spain, Croatia out & Portugal on the brink. Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica all through and Colombia, Uruguay & US will probably make it as well.

Only France, Germany & Holland look a threat from Europe, interesting.

MichaelC
June 24th, 2014, 5:47 AM
Take that Gringos

:D

They've done no bad!

I'm more shocked Chile qualified, as my support has been the kiss of death usually. (Brazil will thump them in the next round.)

Simon
June 24th, 2014, 10:23 AM
The thing I like best about the Guardian is their attention to detail.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10389143_10152315279193682_5504641659607092171_n.j pg

Judas Iscariot
June 24th, 2014, 6:09 PM
http://screamer.deadspin.com/croatia-vs-mexico-fan-brawl-features-shirtless-smokin-1595462133/+Tom_Ley?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--8is6clcy--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/782540318120189869.gif