PDA

View Full Version : WonderLocke Challenge - Pokemon X/Y

Sparky
April 22nd, 2014, 2:04 AM
Hello guys. It's been a while since I've been on these boards. Quite a while back, there was a thread by Deewun on the Nuzlocke Challenge. For those who are unaware, Nuzlocke Rules are intended to make Pokemon games more challenging, being that there is no difficulty setting. Here's the standard rules, for reference, from the original Nuzlocking thread.

- If the pokemon faints, it is dead. Put it in the box and release it.
- Nickname everything
- Catch only the FIRST thing you find in each route/area.
- White Out/Black Out is GAMEOVER.
- No Legendaries.

I'll be doing a few additional rules as well, as there are no set parameters for them, but these are all variations.

- You do not have to catch duplicates, and get three chances to get past a duplicate before you are done with that area. Shinys ALWAYS exempt the catching rule.
- No buying other healing items, but using found ones is ok. No limit on Pokecenter visits.
- No HM slaves.

With the introduction of Wonder Trade in Pokemon X/Y, many people have begun playing "Wonderlocke" rules.

-You must trade out whichever Pokemon you catch through Wonder Trade.
-You must re-Wonder Trade duplicates. (Pokemon you received through Wonder Trade, not Pokemon you have caught. Example: You catch a Bunnelby, and Wonder Trade it, and receive a Pikachu. If you receive another Pikachu later on in the game, re-trade it. On the same note...You catch a Bunnelby, and Wonder Trade it, and receive a Pikachu. If you receive a Bunnelby later on in the game through Wonder Trade, you must keep it.)
-You can capture Legendaries, but they must be Wonder Traded. If you receive a legendary via Wonder Trade, you can still keep it.
-Some people play with the rule, that if a Pokemon is given to you In-Game, then you can keep it, as you never actually CAUGHT it. However, for my run, I will be Wonder Trading anything I catch or receive.
-If a Pokemon you receive via Wonder Trade will not listen to you due to not having the right badge requirements, you must re-trade it.

It would be wonderful if others would join in on this WonderLocke challenge, and play along. It would be interesting to see how our respective teams turn out, and it would be great to hear tales of others journeys and the challenges they face.

I will be playing Pokemon Y for my run. I will be playing this shortly, and posting my first update.

My Friend Code is 5172 0445 3959, for anyone who wishes to add me.

Good luck, to anyone who wishes to do this challenge with me. Thank you!

Sparky
April 22nd, 2014, 3:11 AM
So, I just barely started my journey. I downloaded Pokemon Y, and started up my game.

I chose Chespin as my starter, and in Route 2, caught a Scatterbug, to finally start my Wonder Trading (you need two Pokemon to begin trading for some reason.)

For Chespin, I received a lvl 10 Audino (f). Quite interesting. I've never actually competitively used an Audino, so this should be interesting. So, that makes Audino my starter Pokemon.

For Scatterbug, I received a lvl 11 Espurr. A male one, nonetheless, which I believe has higher defense, while the female has higher attack.

Should be interesting to see how this goes. Cannot wait to delve deeper into the Wonderlocke run with these Pokemon.

EDIT: Figured I'd just add this in. Went to Santalune Forest. Caught a Pansear. Wonder Traded it and received a Furfrou. Now, I have yet to use one of these Pokemon, even in my regular run through Pokemon X. It was lvl 1, and it's already up to lvl 8. Made it to Route 3, and caught a Bunnelby. Wonder Traded it and received a lvl 1 Meowth. This Meowth knows Last Resort, which may very well come in handy in a pinch. I then moseyed on over to Route 22 immediately after arriving to Santalune Town. There, I caught another Bunnelby and got wonder traded a lvl 16 Helioptile. Not bad. That then became my highest level Pokemon

Audino, lvl 11 (f) (Starter)
Espurr, lvl 11 (m) (Route 2)
Furfrou, lvl 9 (f) (Santalune Forest)
Meowth, lvl 9 (f) (Route 3)
Helioptile, lvl 16 (f) (Route 22)

The Rogerer
April 22nd, 2014, 4:17 AM
Nice, Sparky. I've been tempted to get a 2DS for a while. I'll be cheering you on.

Bert
April 22nd, 2014, 4:34 AM
Can't you only have one save file on X/Y?

If you can have more than 1 I might get in on this (and it will get me to dust off my 3DS) but I'm not looking to erase my file after beating the Elite 4 because I think I'll go back to catch more pokemon eventually.

Sparky
April 22nd, 2014, 1:23 PM
I purchased Pokemon Y on the eShop. I just kind of did it on a whim after seeing some YouTubers doing this version of a Nuzlocke.

Well...not a whole lot of excitement quite yet. Beat the first Gym Leader, Viola. Almost lost Meowth to her Vivillon's Infestation move. 4 HP left and unable to switch out. Perfect timing for a well placed Last Resort to win our first badge.

From there, caught a Budew on Route 4 and Wonder Traded it to receive a Tirtouga! Level 20, also. Not bad at all. I'm happy to just NOT get a Normal-type Pokemon at this point.

This was an unexpected kicker, though. I chose a Charmander after defeating Professor Sycamore. I Wonder Traded it and received...a Charmander?! What a coincidence. This one, however, knows Dragon Rush, Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse, and Crunch. I am quite pleased with this. Though, I feel I should get a Fire-type move on him. After all, Mega Charizard Y is not even a Dragon-type, unlike the X version.

EDIT: Also picked up a Furfrou on Route 5. Wonder Traded it and received a Larvitar! Haven't touched it yet. It's lvl 1.

Espurr, lvl 15 (m) (Route 2)
Furfrou, lvl 15 (f) (Santalune Forest)
Meowth, lvl 15 (f) (Route 3)
Helioptile, lvl 17 (f) (Route 22)
Tirtouga, lvl 21 (m) (Route 4)
Charmander, lvl 1 (m) (Kanto Starter)

BOXED:
Audino, lvl 15 (f) (Kalos Starter)
Larvitar, lvl 1 (m) (Route 5)

Bert
April 22nd, 2014, 5:35 PM
Oh, I see.

Well, I just blew a bunch of money on games for Vita and PSP/PS1 classics that are finally playable on Vita but I might get in on this eventually.

My micro sd for 3DS still has a ton of space left so I'm sure I would have room for X (already own Y).

mr sabu
April 22nd, 2014, 10:15 PM
should give pokemon randomizer ago

Sparky
April 23rd, 2014, 4:59 PM
Ooookay. I told myself that I would not do another update until I beat the second gym. However, I have added a ton of new members to my party. There is apparently a lot of areas between the first gym and second gym. So, here is a quick rundown of the new Pokemon that have joined my team.

On Route 6, I caught a Venipede, and in Wonder Trade, I received a lvl 1 Honedge. Now, this Pokemon is level 17 and I have had quite a few close calls with it. I fear that this one may end up being the first of my Pokemon to perish.

With a Snorlax blocking the path to Route 7, my team fought it, and caught it. Almost lost Meowth in the process, though. Hung on with just 2 HP after one good critical hit from Snorlax. In the Wonder Trade for Snorlax, I got a lvl 1 Froakie! And it has its hidden ability Protean. What a good pull! This one is sure to be a staple of my team.

On Route 7, I encountered a horde of Hoppips, and caught one of them. Wonder Traded it and then, the newest member of my PC box was Venipede. I actually REALLY like its final evolution, so I may eventually make this one a party member

Once I made it to the Connecting Cave, I ran into an Axew. Wish I could've kept it. I love Axew! However, it was merely used as trade fodder to receive an Eevee. Lvl 1. At this point, at level 9, Eevee became my first Pokemon to evolve. Now, I am the proud owner of a Sylveon.

On Route 8 I encountered yet another horde, this one happened to be filled with Wingulls. In what would be yet another good pull in my eyes, I received a Fennekin! Its a shame that I am Team Chespin all the way. This Fennekin will do quite well on my team!

Did you know that you can catch a Pokemon in Ambrette Town? Using Rock Smash on nearby rocks has a small chance of triggering a wild Pokemon battle. This Dwebble never stood a chance. What did I get for it? A Skorupi. Which would've been great, had it not been level 38. So, re traded that and got...a Froakie! Shame to get a repeat. Oh, whats that? I get an Eevee in exchange? Sweet. Awesome. Cool. This is not even funny at this point. Finally, I got a Ferroseed. Now, I love Steel-type Pokemon...but I have no interest in Ferroseed or Ferrothorn. Maybe I'll use it at some point...but I doubt it.

Route 9 on the way to Glittering Cave saw me capture a Helioptile. I already have a Helioptile, but this one is simply trade fodder. I received an Anorith. Anorith. The single pokemon I know NOTHING about. At all. Seriously, I forgot this thing even existed. I will most likely forget it sitting in my PC box as well.

This? This was a true heartbreaker. Right in the chest. Ugh. Caught an Onix inside the Glimmering Cave that was hiding in the shadows. Because, you know, its hard to see a 28 foot snake inside the shadows. Wonder Trading this Onix netted me a Hydreigon. A HYDREIGON. These are the kind of Wonder Trades people dream of getting. However...I could not keep it. At level 64, I had no choice. In exchange, I get a level 1 Riolu. Yay. At least I have another potential Mega Evolution out of the deal.

Sparky
April 25th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Froakie, lvl 20 (Snorlax Event)
Sylveon, lvl 20 (Connecting Cave)
Meowth, lvl 26 (Route 3)
Ferroseed, lvl 18 (Ambrette Town)
Tirtouga, lvl 23 (Route 4)
Riolu, lvl 14 (Glimmering Cave)

BOXED:
Audino, lvl 15 (Kalos Starter)
Helioptile, lvl 21 (Route 22)
Charmander, lvl 22 (Kanto Starter)
Larvitar, lvl 19 (Route 5)
Honedge, lvl 19 (Route 6)
Venipede, lvl 22 (Route 7)
Fennekin, lvl 19 (Route 8
Anorith, lvl 20 (Route 9)
Buizel, lvl 1 (Fossil)
Metapod, lvl 6 (Cyllage City)
Espurr, lvl 20 (Route 2)
Furfrou, lvl 20 (Santalune Forest)

Buizel and Metapod, I had received for my revived fossil (Tyrunt) and a Pokemon from Cyllage City (yet another Dwebble...)
Not too excited about these findings.
After seemingly FOREVER, I am now in Cyllage City, ready to take on the Gym Leader.

I almost lost my Riolu on the way up, to a Relicanth using Yawn, which kept putting Riolu to sleep. Luckily, that didn't happen. Riolu hung in there and defeated the Relicanth.

The gym battle against Grant, however...was never even really close. By the time we had reached the top...Froakie had become a Frogadier and Meowth had evolved into Persian. Persian never even made it into battle.

Frogadier destroyed Amaura with a few Water Pulses. Gone-zo. Later!

Tyrunt, I chose Sylveon. The Fairy-typing is strong against the Dragon-typing for Tyrunt. Being a smidge slower almost proved costly. A few Bites and Stomps left Sylveon locked in a state of flinching. Then, BAM, one Draining Kiss later, and Tyrunt went down.

So. A long wait since the last gym battle...and it was kind of underwhelming. Not much of a challenge at all. 2 badges, no fatalities yet...things are going smoothly.

Sparky
April 26th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Just defeated Korrina, the Shalour City Gym Leader. Her Fighting type Pokemon...never really stood a chance. With Flying, Fairy and Psychic types at my disposal, it was One Hit KOs throughout the entire gym.

Since the last update, I've picked up a handful of new Pokemon.

I picked up a Pikachu on Route 10 through Wonder Trading a Dedenne I caught there.

Encountered a Nosepass horde on Route 11. Caught one, and Wonder Traded it out. Received a Snorunt. I am unfamiliar with Snorunt and its two evolutions. It is male, so unfortunately, no Froslass, but perhaps a Glalie is worth investing in.

This was a pretty good pull. Caught a Carbink in Reflection Cave. Wonder Traded it, and received a Skarmory! Skarmory is one of my favorite Pokemon, so I am excited to make this a member of my team.

This next bit was almost like a running gag. Directly in Shalour City, I caught a Luvdisc. I wonder traded it...and received yet another Froakie. Then a Furfrou. Then a Helioptile! Then, a Golem, which was too high in level. Finally, I received a Fletchling.

In the Tower of Mastery, I received a Lucario, and gained the ability to Mega Evolve Pokemon. The Lucario netted me an Inkay. I have two Pokemon with evolutions that can currently Mega Evolve (Charmander and Riolu) because I have their stones.

I am extremely fortunate to have NO casualties as of yet.

Frogadier, lvl 28 (Snorlax Event)
Sylveon, lvl 37 (Connecting Cave)
Persian, lvl 29 (Route 3)
Ferroseed, lvl 27 (Ambrette Town)
Tirtouga, lvl 23 (Route 4)
Riolu, lvl 20 (Glimmering Cave)

BOXED:
Audino, lvl 15 (Kalos Starter)
Helioptile, lvl 21 (Route 22)
Charmander, lvl 22 (Kanto Starter)
Larvitar, lvl 19 (Route 5)
Honedge, lvl 19 (Route 6)
Venipede, lvl 22 (Route 7)
Fennekin, lvl 19 (Route 8
Anorith, lvl 20 (Route 9)
Buizel, lvl 1 (Fossil)
Butterfree, lvl 20 (Cyllage City)
Espurr, lvl 23 (Route 2)
Furfrou, lvl 22 (Santalune Forest)
Pikachu, lvl 19 (Route 10)
Snorunt, lvl 16 (Route 11)
Skarmory, lvl 38 (Reflection Cave)
Fletchinder, lvl 21 (Shalour City)
Inkay, lvl 14 (Tower of Mastery)

Sparky
May 2nd, 2014, 5:44 AM
Well guys, its been awhile since my last update. But...I've had my first casualty.

My beloved Charizard has perished. In a battle against Serena's Delphox, an untimely critical hit took him down.

Charizard was one of only two Pokemon I have capable of Mega Evolving.

Charizard lost his life at level 49. He shall be missed.

The Rogerer
May 2nd, 2014, 6:01 AM
Is Mega evolving a new thing, or is that just a three level evolution?

Pablo Diablo
May 2nd, 2014, 9:32 AM
It's a new thing. You do it during a fight and then after the fight they un-mega evolve.

The Rogerer
May 2nd, 2014, 9:58 AM
Mental

wardy
May 2nd, 2014, 11:25 AM
They ripped the cunt right out of this series of games.

The Rogerer
May 3rd, 2014, 2:56 PM
I just got a copy of Pokemon Blue on eBay. No mega evolving there.

The Rogerer
May 12th, 2014, 9:53 AM
I hear they're re-releasing Ruby and Sapphire on the 3DS? For Christ's sake. Pokémon has been the same game for 15 years and they make a trillion dollars. Why is this happening.

Bert
May 12th, 2014, 2:10 PM
Remaking not re-releasing. I never played the GBA ones so I'm interested.

The Rogerer
May 12th, 2014, 3:14 PM
Not to spoil the story or anything but you go around and get gym badges

Bert
May 12th, 2014, 3:45 PM
Well, shit. I guess I won't get it now.

Fanny
May 12th, 2014, 4:17 PM
You're all utterly fucking demented

The Rogerer
May 13th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I'm getting Pokémon Y. I hope you're happy Stocky. How's it going? I think I'd play through a normal playthrough first before I do a challenge like this