PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Podcasts

Kyle_242
March 29th, 2014, 2:23 PM
There's been a lot of podcast talk in the other parts of the forum lately, so I thought I'd throw some podcasts out here that I listen to.

Retronauts - This is an old 1UP podcast that's been resurrected via Kickstarter in the past year. It's absolutely lovely for anyone that interested in not only classic gaming, but video game history in general. It does a great job of going beyond "Hey, remember this game!? Fuzzy nostalgia!" banter and actually getting into the facts about what caused old games to be what they were, some of the politics of the time, etc.. In terms of quality I find it really nicely paced, the odd tangent discussion does come up but the hosts seem to become very conscious of when things go too far. If you hunt this one down, make sure you find the new 2013/14 version, and not the old 1UP version, they're listed differently.

Giant Bombcast - And even though it's pretty much the complete opposite as the above, I've grown to really like this one too. Giant Bomb is much more about the personalities of the site than the games themselves, and this is certainly reflected here. It's almost all just back-and-forth banter, but the good part is, the banter is actually really funny and they do talk about games the entire time, so it's easy to stay engaged. The bad part is, each podcast is incredibly long (2.5 hours at least), and it's weekly, but it's perfect for someone like me who commutes a lot and needs something to fill that time. I could see this being a love-or-hate thing for anyone.

Those are really the only 2 gaming ones I've come to listen to regularly, some others I've tried and not liked are:

Joystiq Podcast - Joystiq has sort of become my default gaming news blog, and I liked their podcast for a little while, until the personalities just started grating on my nerves and I couldn't take it anymore. I haven't listened to this in awhile, but it's pretty nicely structured and many people do seem to like it, so it might be worth checking out to see if it's your thing.

Watch out for Fireballs - Another retro gaming podcast, these guys appear on Retronauts pretty frequently, and I like them fine but this podcast really just details walkthroughs of old games and I don't find it too interesting. It's sort of become what I download when I can't find a new episode of anything else, so I haven't listened to that many, but the idea just seems to come across as boring as it sounds even though I like most of the jokes (which is unfortunate, because I think the parallel of movie podcasts works pretty well).

Of course, there are a TON more gaming podcasts out there. Anyone have anything to recommend and/or stay away from?

The Rick
June 8th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I listen to IGN's

Podcast Beyond
Nintendo Voice Chat

that's about it. There were couple of others, but they had members that have moved on. The quality wasn't the same anymore, or it just wasn't entertaining anymore.

The Rick
April 26th, 2015, 1:47 PM
I picked up a new show. No Quarter (http://monsterfeet.com/noquarter/) is a show where they review arcade games. Most of them are old nostalgia trips, but pretty good listens.

Karate Champ episode 97
http://monsterfeet.com/shows/noquarter_097.mp3

Wrestlewar eipsode 95
http://monsterfeet.com/shows/noquarter_095.mp3

The show isn't for everyone and I think there are probably more entertaining people out there, but the guys are good about giving quite a bit of info about the game and its history.

Reech
April 27th, 2015, 7:21 AM
DLC
Podcast hosted by Christian Spicer and Jeff Cannata. Nearly 2 hours of good gaming chat.