PDA

View Full Version : International week

Simon
March 5th, 2014, 5:22 AM
Last friendlies prior to World Cup squads being announced for most teams tonight.

Quite excited to see how Shaw and Sterling do. Seems like it's a straight race between Cole and Shaw for the second left back spot with Baines rested tonight and presumably therefore sure of his place in the final 23.

Ireland's first game under O'Neill against Serbia, Diego Costa's debut for Spain against Italy, Northern Ireland trying to end a run of eight years without an away win in a friendly, Scotland and Wales playing too. France vs Holland, Belgium vs Ivory Coast, Portugal vs Cameroon as well.

Chris Scott
March 5th, 2014, 5:33 AM
About time Baines was made first choice left back, no one better in 2 seasons.

RFF Champ
March 5th, 2014, 6:00 AM
In 10 years time we'll look back and laugh at the fact that we played international friendlies in the middle of the season.

son_of_foley
March 5th, 2014, 6:38 AM
Saw the Italy Under-21 squad today in Belfast. Would've mounted the kerb but I don't think that would even have helped us

Rather amazingly our game is on MUTV today :( what the actual fuck

Prototype16
March 5th, 2014, 6:48 AM
I assume Sturridge will start tonight - hope he does well as he's not had that much playing time for England recently.

It's a strange situation but I'd still take Ashley Cole to Brazil, I'd be more confident with him against the better teams

In 10 years time we'll look back and laugh at the fact that we played international friendlies in the middle of the season.

Hope not - people complain about friendlies but we shouldn't be going from November to May without any international matches ahead of a major tournament

son_of_foley
March 5th, 2014, 6:54 AM
I love international football and am going to try and go to Hungary for an away game

RFF Champ
March 5th, 2014, 6:56 AM
Everyone loves international football, but these friendlies aren't representative of what everyone loves about it.

MikeHunt
March 5th, 2014, 7:05 AM
I properly love international football. Everything about it, I give so much more of a fuck about it than club football.

Beefy
March 5th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Exactly. Fuck you, Alex.

Looking forward to England's game tonight. 99 days until the World Cup!

Simon
March 5th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Na international weeks are a pain in the arse, especially when they are friendlies. International football is absolutely bollocks except for the major tournaments, and now UEFA are doing their best to ruin one of them as well.

Beefy
March 5th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Nah.

Torn
March 5th, 2014, 5:53 PM
Adam Lallana should be a shoe in for a starting place at this point.

Andy
March 5th, 2014, 6:00 PM
I only caught the second half but it was fucking shit, complete lack of creativity and invention.

MikeHunt
March 5th, 2014, 6:02 PM
Na international weeks are a pain in the arse, especially when they are friendlies. International football is absolutely bollocks except for the major tournaments, and now UEFA are doing their best to ruin one of them as well.

Couldn't disagree more

Grimario
March 5th, 2014, 6:04 PM
Australia v Ecuador. Up 3-0 at HT. Bunch of subs, 2nd choice keeper gets a red card, lose 4-3.

3 goals though... our last manager would be happy to score 1 goal in most games.

MikeHunt
March 5th, 2014, 6:29 PM
So happy with our result again tonight. Didn't have a chance to catch the game but from what I've read we seem to have played well and as usual the win is all that matters for us. 5 in a row, can't remember the last time that happened. Good omen for our euro group as well. Lovely to see captain Darren back as well.

Simmo Fortyone
March 5th, 2014, 6:36 PM
Australia v Ecuador. Up 3-0 at HT. Bunch of subs, 2nd choice keeper gets a red card, lose 4-3.

3 goals though... our last manager would be happy to score 1 goal in most games.
Australian football never ceases to amaze me

Grimario
March 5th, 2014, 6:45 PM
Australian football never ceases to amaze me

Good game, I thought. We absolutely bossed the first half, made 4 changes at HT, had our GK sent off, made more changes then lost 4-3.

Far better learning experience for the coach and players than keeping the same XI for most of the game and winning 5-0.

Simmo Fortyone
March 5th, 2014, 7:36 PM
We're talking about our national team and not the Mackay U14Bs, right?

Grimario
March 5th, 2014, 7:44 PM
I am... not sure about you.

Simon
March 6th, 2014, 6:16 AM
What a pile of shite that was.

Positives: Lallana was decent, Sterling looks a reasonable replacement for Walcott, Shaw looked more at home in an England shirt on his debut than Baines ever has, Gerrard looks increasingly comfortable in that controlling deep role.

Negatives: Crap tactics (Sturridge on the wing?), Rooney was laughably bad, central defence again looked embarrassingly easy to cut through, utter lack of creativity, Wilshere and Henderson not bringing anything approaching their club form to the England side.

We don't look any more of a creative threat than at any point over the last decade, and now our defence isn't particularly good either.

Bennedy
March 6th, 2014, 6:19 AM
It was utter garbage.

3rd in the group and Roy out the door.

RFF Champ
March 6th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Exactly. Fuck you, Alex.

Looking forward to England's game tonight. 99 days until the World Cup!

We're all excited for the World Cup but ask Sami Khedira about how worthless these friendlies are.

Andy
March 6th, 2014, 3:50 PM
Or Jack Wilshere :(

Beefy
March 6th, 2014, 4:13 PM
Or Adam Lallana.

Bennedy
March 7th, 2014, 1:15 AM
Or Tom Cleverley.