PDA

View Full Version : Football pet peeves

turdpower
March 2nd, 2014, 1:29 PM
These can be serious or light heated;

The phrase: "warchest", only ever gets used by the media and it is a horrible phrase. "Transfer kitty" is also quite shit.

Players not celebrating when they score against former clubs. This is fine if its against your boyhood club that you were at for 10 years (a bit), but if the other fans hate you for leaving - just celebrate.

Add your own.

Gary J
March 2nd, 2014, 4:00 PM
I hate when either Lampard or Gerrard score from the penalty spot these days and the press will be fawning over them saying how despite their best years behind them they are still forces to be reckoned with.

Andy
March 2nd, 2014, 4:08 PM
"If he's not giving the penalty he should book him for diving"

Fanny
March 2nd, 2014, 4:29 PM
I hate defenders 'shepherding' the ball out for a goal kick i.e. fucking blatant obstruction, and everyone just accepting it as part of the game. It's ludicrous and I HATE IT.

I hate injured players who've been off for treatment having to go all the way around the pitch to the halfway line by the dugouts to come back on. Ridiculous. Hate it.

Torn
March 2nd, 2014, 5:47 PM
I hate injured players who've been off for treatment having to go all the way around the pitch to the halfway line by the dugouts to come back on. Ridiculous. Hate it.

This doesn't happen though? Players have to go off after receiving treatment but they can just come back on from wherever when the ref says.

Torn
March 2nd, 2014, 6:23 PM
Also your other one is perfectly legal according to the rules from FIFA

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play, being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

Shielding the ball is permitted.

A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept in playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body."

Get some new pet peeves Fanny.

Grimario
March 2nd, 2014, 6:46 PM
My pet peeve is football know it alls. Fuck off, you smarmy book smart cunt and go watch a game instead of reading all about it.

Simon
March 2nd, 2014, 7:16 PM
The number of corner takers who can't beat the first man.

Players who put in a horrible tackle and then complain that its their first one when they get booked, as if persistent fouling is the only bookable offence.

This new thing that is presumably being pushed by the FA where everyone including the officials cover their mouths when they talk.

As Andy said, "if its not a penalty then book him for diving".

Officials consistently allowing defenders to go down cheaply and win free kicks when they are being chased in dangerous positions.

Unpublished holding at corners. Some players like Skrtel do this so transparently its unbelievable.

What amounts to an unofficial ban on challenging the goalkeeper for a high ball.

Bullshit rutting when they press their heads together.

Managers using referees as an excuse to hide their teams failings. Wenger, Mourinho and Hughes are among the worst.

Grimario
March 2nd, 2014, 7:25 PM
I hate all that unpublished holding at corners to. It definitely needs to be revealed in the press. MURDOCH OUT. :dork:

The number of players that can't take a throw in.

The number of throw in's that are actually taken nowhere near where the ball went out.

turdpower
March 2nd, 2014, 7:33 PM
The yellow ball in winter - we never play in the "snow" any more.

Prototype16
March 2nd, 2014, 7:43 PM
Monday Night Football - the most annoying example of TV companies taking over. Who wants to go to a football match on a Monday night?

Simon
March 2nd, 2014, 7:49 PM
Monday night games have been a staple of football for years though. Back when the Prem started it was 8 games at 3pm Saturday, one Sunday and one Monday night. Its the early and late kick offs on Saturdays that are new and weird to me. We can't be that far from every game being on at a different time, all live on TV. You can already watch as many as six in a PL weekend.

Grimario
March 2nd, 2014, 7:56 PM
Come to Australia... every single game has a different kick off time to accommodate TV broadcast.

Prototype16
March 2nd, 2014, 8:23 PM
Monday night games have been a staple of football for years though. Back when the Prem started it was 8 games at 3pm Saturday, one Sunday and one Monday night. Its the early and late kick offs on Saturdays that are new and weird to me. We can't be that far from every game being on at a different time, all live on TV. You can already watch as many as six in a PL weekend.

I know they've been around a long time but it's still crap - I don't mind the early/late Saturday ones as they don't interfere too much, although the atmosphere tends to be a bit rubbish for a 12.45 kick off. Monday night games are just a nuisance, I work in Peterborough now so I end up taking two days off if one our home games gets moved to a Monday night. Obviously it's not such a problem for most home fans, but it does tend to kill away followings. I don't get why anyone really wants to watch a game then as a neutral either as there's so much on over the weekend these days- aside from Stoke games, the only Monday night match I can remember watching recently was the Manchester derby in the title run in a couple of years back. West Ham/Stoke was on last season - people must have better things to do with their time than watch that at the start of the week

Simon
March 3rd, 2014, 5:17 AM
And people say being a proper fan who actually goes to games is better :D

Clive Plasma
March 3rd, 2014, 5:39 AM
Chico Flores

Torn
March 3rd, 2014, 5:42 AM
Don't mind Monday night games, they are just like any other midweek game, and you can't beat a game under the lights at Griffin Park.

The throw ins being taken nowhere near where the ball went out one Grim mentioned I agree with, especially when the ref is like woahhhh settle down there move back and then the guy just runs half the pitch and throws it from where he was anyway. I've only seen one ref this season at a Brentford match actually give it as a foul throw and give the throw the other way when a player took the piss. One time the ref told a guy to move back to where it went out and he just stood there and took it from the same place anyway. In the grand scheme of things it makes very little difference but still.

Fanny
March 3rd, 2014, 6:48 AM
Fuck off Torn you cunt

Torn
March 3rd, 2014, 6:51 AM
I feel bad about this.

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2014, 7:01 AM
Celtic football club

turdpower
March 3rd, 2014, 1:26 PM
Pre match handshakes.

Chris Scott
March 3rd, 2014, 1:46 PM
A song getting played when someone scores, cringeworthy stuff that.

Clive Plasma
March 3rd, 2014, 2:08 PM
The Poznan

Chris Scott
March 3rd, 2014, 4:31 PM
I don't mind that Clive Plasma.

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2014, 4:35 PM
The Poznan

the huddle, celtic football club

Fanny
March 3rd, 2014, 4:43 PM
Huns

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2014, 4:43 PM
tims

Andy
March 3rd, 2014, 4:59 PM
The old firm

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2014, 5:00 PM
people who support multiple teams in the same country both club and international.

Fanny
March 3rd, 2014, 5:25 PM
Andy

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2014, 5:26 PM
good shout fanny.

Clive Plasma
March 3rd, 2014, 5:45 PM
I don't mind that Clive Plasma.

Yeah but it said add your own, not add what you think Chris Scott gets annoyed about.

The Poznan is a stupid celebration made even worse by Man City fans adopting it.

I hate that players get yellow carded for whipping their shirt off in a fit of joy when scoring. The other day a player got yellow carded, even though when he took his shirt off, he had one exactly the same underneath. He only did it so he could give his shirt to someone in the crowd.

Chris Scott
March 3rd, 2014, 6:05 PM
Yep hate that one too when you take your shirt off and get booked.

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2014, 6:13 PM
the identical sleeve tattoos that the majority of young british footballers seem to have. same with their dire essex inspired slicked back fucking shit haircuts.

Grimario
March 3rd, 2014, 6:26 PM
Isn't that just young people in general though?

Simmo Fortyone
March 3rd, 2014, 6:31 PM
Australian fans desperately hanging on to "traditions" held by their eight year old club.

MikeHunt
March 3rd, 2014, 6:39 PM
Isn't that just young people in general though?

massive generalisation. example i am 26 and don't look like that.

turdpower
March 3rd, 2014, 6:43 PM
People who properly hate other fans. To the point where they would spit on and hit them. Grow up.

Clive Plasma
March 3rd, 2014, 7:02 PM
People who properly hate other fans. To the point where they would spit on and hit them. Grow up.

I went to West Ham v Millwall about 10 years ago.

"Ladies and Gentlemen there are minor delays as violence has erupted outside Upton Park station" - I stick my head out to see what's happening and it's two blokes yelling at each other, "you're nothing but a colour to me, claret and fackin blue, nothing but a shirt, you fucking west ham caaaant" and then they started fighting again.

My first experience of the sheer idiocy of football fan hatred.

Mikey_Jones
March 3rd, 2014, 7:05 PM
The number of corner takers who can't beat the first man.

This is my main one. Surely it's not that hard to put a ball into a decent area consistently. Such a waste otherwise

Chris Scott
March 3rd, 2014, 7:06 PM
See Steven Gerrard about not beating the first man.

Simon
March 17th, 2014, 7:47 AM
Willian's red card this weekend reminded me of another one - players who think that lifting their hands up while fouling a player somehow makes the foul invisible. Willian lifted his arms in a gesture of "letting him go" but then clearly tripped him, and when he gets a second yellow Ivanovic and someone else come steaming into the ref gesturing that he had done the lifting arms thing, as if this has any relevance.

turdpower
March 17th, 2014, 1:24 PM
I don't like how the yellow card gesture is hated.

wardy
March 17th, 2014, 1:37 PM
Rangers fans who know absolutely nothing about the independence referendum but are voting no anyway because of the team they support.

Darkoke
March 17th, 2014, 2:03 PM
Rangers fans.

Fanny
March 17th, 2014, 2:19 PM
Huns

Simon
March 17th, 2014, 2:36 PM
SPL fans. Scottish people.

Simon
March 17th, 2014, 2:36 PM
Except wardy.

wardy
March 17th, 2014, 4:50 PM
Take that Mandrag Ganon.

Simon
March 17th, 2014, 7:28 PM
I hate that Scottish (?) cunt.

Grimario
March 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM
Media/players/manager hyping up "a real crunch game" or "turning point" or "must win". If you had had the same focus on the previous 20 something games that you fucked about in, it might not boil down to one fucking game.

Fuck I hate my football team :irked:

Grimario
March 21st, 2014, 10:07 AM
I hate that Scottish (?) cunt.

Speaking of Scottish cunts, Melv messaged me yesterday. Completely out of the blue... added me on Steam and then asked me to recommend a LB for him in FM because Spurs were trying to buy Jose Enrique.

Simon
March 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM
ahaha class

Romford Pele
April 10th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Probably been said but defenders blocking the ball out of play in the box, anywhere else its obstruction

Sky Sports reactionary coverage, match 1 - Arsenal are out of the title race, match 2 - Arsenal are in the race, match 3 - Arsenal are out again

General lazy punditry, which you just cannot get away with anymore.

People leaving games early

Rip off food and drinks at grounds (At Wembley this weekend so will worse than normal)

People applauding the attendance (why, well done for turning up?)

People reading the programmes DURING a game (this has happened at Arsenal, trust me)

When fans argue amongst eachother the inevitable - "How many games have you been to?!" tends to be question of a 45 year old virgin with bo says to someone even when he has said something moronic

Grimario
April 10th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Probably been said but defenders blocking the ball out of play in the box, anywhere else its obstruction

Isn't it perfectly legal if the ball is within a playable distance? If a player runs in from the side and into the path of the opposition player, sure, but having the position to begin with and standing between the player and the ball isn't obstruction.

Also, are you suggesting that attacking players shielding the ball in the corner at the end of games to waste time is also obstruction and should be blown for a foul? Are you suggesting that a player who is standing with the ball at his feet is to blame for the guy who runs through him from behind because he was obstructing that player?

It's not obstruction anywhere on the pitch.

Or just what Torn said earlier in the thread. Fucking Torn, what a cunt.

Simon
April 10th, 2014, 10:37 AM
There is an argument for the 'seeing the ball out for a goal kick'/'protecting the ball at the corner flag to waste time' routines being fouls because you're not really trying to play the ball. Personally I don't mind it, as long as it's within the laws (ie. within playing distance and no more aggressive than challenges when you are playing the ball) there's no problem really, it's just good defensive play. It's one of those things that's incredibly annoying when they go against you, but just seen as good professionalism when it's for your side. Sort of like Gary Neville's entire career.

Romford Pele
April 10th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I don't like attackers or defenders doing it, I will admit I don't know exactly if it is illegal or not, but I haven't seen people doing it in the middle of the pitch, so I would have thought that it is.

Grimario
April 10th, 2014, 11:00 AM
The reason you don't see it done in the middle of the pitch is because you aren't up against a sideline meaning players can come at you from the front. Surely that much is obvious...

Romford Pele
April 10th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah but could still obstruct them by shielding the ball, just turn around a bit :)

turdpower
April 10th, 2014, 12:23 PM
People applauding the attendance (why, well done for turning up?)

Hahaha, yes. Why is this a thing? Why do people even need to know?

Prototype16
April 11th, 2014, 6:12 PM
Rip off food and drinks at grounds (At Wembley this weekend so will worse than normal)

Eat before you get there :yes:

Romford Pele
April 14th, 2014, 6:16 AM
Food yes, but Wembley is miles from any pubs so no option. 5 for a pint of Bud :(

Romford Pele
April 14th, 2014, 6:17 AM
Hahaha, yes. Why is this a thing? Why do people even need to know?

They did that on Sat when we were still 1-0 down and everyone told the PA to fuck off :lol:

RFF Champ
April 14th, 2014, 6:21 AM
The away team being able to change ends. The home team should always be attacking the home end in the second half.

Romford Pele
April 14th, 2014, 6:24 AM
Agreed.

Also, I wish we could drink while watching the game - I was so thirsty for a pint by ht and just managed to beat the queue. If it is in plastic glasses, don't see what the problem is.

RFF Champ
April 14th, 2014, 9:43 AM
Players being substituted when on the losing team and strolling to the touchline. Podolski did it on Saturday. It's your own team's time you're wasting.

Romford Pele
April 14th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I'd also like to nominate former players 'not celebrating' when they score against their former clubs.

Its all clearly contrived and bullshit 99% of the time, you have scored for the team you play for so why not celebrate it?

turdpower
April 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM
There were a few players who did it who were like proper fucking legends at their old club and it was understandable.

Romford Pele
April 14th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Van Persie scored against us the first time and didn't do it, but did the second time. Showed that it was all bollocks.

wardy
April 25th, 2014, 11:02 AM
When 2 teams from the same country play each other in Europe, especially in the final.

turdpower
April 25th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Van Persie scored against us the first time and didn't do it, but did the second time. Showed that it was all bollocks.

He showed a bit of respect and most of your fans still booed him and stuff, so why should he have bothered?

turdpower
May 26th, 2014, 5:21 PM
Football interviewers that use obvious slang or regional terms to foreign players with limited English.