PDA

View Full Version : Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

OD50
January 24th, 2014, 3:15 PM
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is an action-packed adventure-RPG inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Exploring an original story of vengeance and redemption, the game puts players in the role of Talion, a valiant ranger whose family is slain in front of him the night Sauron and his army return to Mordor -- moments before his own life is taken. Resurrected by a Spirit of vengeance and empowered with Wraith abilities, Talion ventures into Mordor and vows to destroy those who have wronged him. Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.

Every enemy that players face is a unique individual, differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Through the Nemesis System, enemy relationships and characteristics are shaped by player actions and decisions to create personal archenemies that remember and adapt to the player and are distinct to every gameplay session. Gamers are able to craft their own battles, enemies and rewards within the dynamic world that remembers and adapts to their choices, delivering a unique experience to every player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgvvgGEpkQ

Not quite sure what to think about this. The gamer in me thinks it looks really cool while the Tolkien fan thinks ''wtf?". Dude is like some kind of Ranger/Wraith superhero.

I haven't played any Assassin's Creed games myself but from what I've seen this is very similar to them, yes? Some people compare it to the Arkham City/Asylum Bat Man games as well.

Bill Casey
January 25th, 2014, 5:29 AM
This is before LOTR, so...
Talion essentially has to fail, doesn't he?
I mean Sauron still exists in LOTR, and Talion is nowhere to be seen...

Unless he becomes one of those Ringwraiths...

OD50
January 25th, 2014, 8:29 AM
According to the Tolkien timeline the game should take place in (or shortly after) 2941, the same year as the Battle of Five Armies. Sauron was driven from Dol-Goldur in that year by the White Council and returned to Mordor, which I guess is what triggers the story of this Tallion character.

Talion ventures into Mordor and vows to destroy those who have wronged him. Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the
Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.

Sounds to me like there's some kind of curve-ball there, maybe his true enemy isn't Sauron but the Wraith itself is using him for his own purposes or something.

Alf
January 27th, 2014, 7:19 PM
What an odd game. It looks like a mash-up rip-off of the Arkham games, and I know one of the Assassin's Creed devs was vocal about the animation and code looking like it was ripped from them too.

It seems an odd use of the license. Is there an appetite for a made-up story in that universe?

Grimario
January 27th, 2014, 7:29 PM
I think the real question should be "is there a market where plebs will jump all over something just because it has a big name tagged to it?" and I think the answer is probably yes.

Judas Iscariot
January 27th, 2014, 7:34 PM
I'm gonna jump all over it, I don't give a fuck. Give me more Middle-Earth.

virms
January 27th, 2014, 8:14 PM
Hobbits represent is what judas said

OD50
January 27th, 2014, 8:14 PM
I'm gonna jump all over it, I don't give a fuck. Give me more Middle-Earth.

Yeah, same here probably. Story and main character might be a lttle whack but it looks like a fun game.

Judas Iscariot
January 27th, 2014, 8:24 PM
Game Informer had a cover story on it and the AI they're trying to implement looks ridiculous.

And I'll take anything based in Tolkiens universe. I suppose it's no different than all the stuff done with Star Wars, eh?

Grimario
January 27th, 2014, 8:25 PM

I miss hobbit

Judas Iscariot
January 27th, 2014, 8:26 PM
Bring back Tom Bombadil too.

Judas Iscariot
January 27th, 2014, 8:28 PM

Please stop following me around just to troll me virm Jesus Christ ffs

virms
January 27th, 2014, 9:52 PM
I consider the comparison to be flattering but that is just you saying you want to stab me in the back.

Atty
April 17th, 2015, 8:27 PM
Question for those who have played this: about how long is this game?

Everything about it looks like something I'd love, but read somewhere that the campaign was really short. Thinking about picking it up for the PS4 for whenever I finish Dragon Age again.

Reech
April 20th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I spent ages on side-quests/herb collections. Think I was around 20-30 hours for my playthrough though.