PDA

View Full Version : AAA coming to America

Defrost
January 12th, 2014, 7:53 PM
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/101-mexico/34877-aaa-coming-to-el-rey-network-in-2014

The long discussed movement of AAA to the U.S. was announced officially as a joint venture between Mark Burnett of Survivor fame and Robert Rodriguez of the El Rey Network by Scott Sassa, the Vice Chairman of El Rey Network. Sassa, one of the major power brokers at TBS when wrestling was on that station, announced a one hour television show that would debut during the second half of this year.

One Three Media, run by Burnett, would partner with Lucha Libre AAA, run by Joaquin and Dorian Roldan. Burnett said this was a long-term commitment to bring Mexico's No. 2 sport into the U.S.market. They have a storyline in place, with the idea of building both prime time television specials on the network and PPV shows.

The Law
January 20th, 2014, 3:56 PM
I listened to a podcast with Konnan last night where he talked about this venture. He didn't shed a ton of light on it, as it seems like a lot of the details are still in flux. But here's what I gathered:

This will be a limited run, like a season of TV. They'll do a set number of episodes, probably in the 13 range, and then go on hiatus and evaluate how their business is going. The goal is to end up running house shows and month pay-per-views, like any other wrestling promotion.
It seems like this is going to be a separate promotion from AAA. It will feature most of the same wrestlers, but many of them will have different names and gimmicks.
Konnan says he wants to present a mature, adult, edgy program that stands in contrast to WWE's PG approach.
Robert Rodriguez and some other big time TV people are involved.

Not totally sure whether to be optimistic about this. The real question is with the TV people. If they're just there to do promotion and technical work, that's good. But if people who don't know wrestling are involved in a creative capacity, that could be a problem. There's definitely a chance for this to work, between the growing Hispanic population of America and the number of people who want to watch non-WWE wrestling, I could see this taking off.