PDA

View Full Version : Football movies/documentaries

turdpower
November 10th, 2013, 7:19 AM
I'm basically starting this thread because of this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2496231/Manchester-Uniteds-Class-92-film-trailer-featuring-David-Beckham-Gary-Neville-Ryan-Giggs-Paul-Scholes-Phil-Neville-Nicky-Butt.html

Cannot wait to see it.

It made me think what other ones are out there and are they decent? I know there's the Zidane one, which I've seen bits of. I remember on BBC 2 they showed one on Barcelona around 2004 (I think that was more fly on the wall documentary).

So, yeah. Discuss.

Gary J
November 10th, 2013, 8:22 AM
The Diego Maradona one they showed on channel 4 a while back was pretty good.

SheltonLondon
November 10th, 2013, 11:01 AM
The 5 Year Plan - film about QPR when they were taken over by Briatore, Ecclestone and friends. Quality watch if only for the insight into how much of a shambles the club must have been at the time! Briatore literally phoning up the managers during the game to make subs, decent film.

MMH
November 16th, 2013, 11:21 AM
The Last Yugoslav Football Team by Vuk Janic is great. Really hard to get an English copy of it though. Was shown on ESPN classics a few times a year or two ago.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 16th, 2013, 3:24 PM
There was a brilliant one years and years ago about Romario, I taped it on late night channel 4. I can't remember the name and haven't ever been able to find it again. I had to set the old video recorder to get it, it was probably about 1996 or 1997. Although it also showed him showering in the nip with his massive pubes and quite small penis. I remember being weirded out by that.

turdpower
November 17th, 2013, 9:37 AM
FYI guys, don't google "naked romario"

turdpower
December 8th, 2013, 7:48 AM
I watched Class of 92, I'm not sure if non United fans will enjoy it.

The cameo from Tony Blair seems very odd, he barely even mentions football, never mind these 6 specific people. Would have been brilliant with more ex United players from that time (Schmikes, Keane, Bruce), the guys who they basically replaced (Hughes, Ince, Kanchelskis) and also Fergie - it clearly misses him the most.

Also it was bit annoying how it went up to 1999 only (I get they were trying to tell the story of the 90's through these footballers, but is it the story of the 90's or is it about these 6?), they were all there until 2003 when Becks left. Would have been nice if they spoke about the first one leaving and what happened etc.

Also, how many times are we going to be told that Sharpe/Giggs story when Fergie turns up at their house?

7/10

Also, is Giggs not allowed to wear Adidas clothing? During the scenes where they were having a kick around in the old kit, the logo on the front of the shirts and the three stripe sleeves were all blurred. Just very odd.

Gary J
December 8th, 2013, 8:38 AM
I would assume it only goes up to 99 as Thats seen as the pinnacle of their careers. As for the addidas thing aren't united sponsored by Nike now? They probably put their foot down and said they didn't want a current player who wears their kit to be seen in a rival company shirt.

Simon
December 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Downloading this now, quite looking forward to it. I've heard clips of it and listened to a 5 Live podcast on the same subject of the six of them coming through - it's mad how normal they seem, just like any group of mates. Incredibly difficult to tell their voices apart on the radio though, Beckham aside obviously.

turdpower
December 8th, 2013, 3:10 PM
I would assume it only goes up to 99 as Thats seen as the pinnacle of their careers. As for the addidas thing aren't united sponsored by Nike now? They probably put their foot down and said they didn't want a current player who wears their kit to be seen in a rival company shirt.

Well it's bittersweet for Scholes, but he turned that around in 2008. Which isn't really documented.

As for the kit thing, that doesn't make much sense. If Wales were sponsored by Adidas, Giggs would be allowed to wear it.

Gary J
December 8th, 2013, 3:19 PM
Yeah but this is a heavily promoted thing do Nike aren't going to want to see Giggs in an adidas shirt. When Ronaldo does his adverts thats why hes not in his real Madrid kit as he's under contract to Nike and they probably hate the fact he wears an adidas shirt every week. Probably why the rumors of a man Utd return wouldnt go away last year.

turdpower
December 8th, 2013, 3:21 PM
I dunno, that seems a bit odd to me.

Even the United badge was blurred on his which is fucking odd.

Gary J
December 8th, 2013, 4:40 PM
Didn't United change the badge this season or am I confusing them with Everton which is what David Moyes seems to have done.

Mikey_Jones
December 8th, 2013, 4:46 PM
Everton tried changing to a badge without a crest but there was a lot of fan outcry so they're changing back for next season

Gary J
December 8th, 2013, 4:47 PM
Didn't Man Utd remove the words Football Club off theirs or put it back it on again?

turdpower
December 8th, 2013, 5:11 PM
Football Club got removed in 1998.

It isn't back.

And to confirm it was only Ryan Giggs that had blurred stuff on him.

Gary J
December 8th, 2013, 5:15 PM
Yeah a quick google search tells me it was Edward Woodward trying to earn brownie points by saying the words Football Club were coming back.

eldanielfire
December 10th, 2013, 6:49 PM
FYI guys, don't google "naked romario"

I wish you hadn't posted that......:(

Andy
December 10th, 2013, 6:51 PM
This Keane/Vieira thing is good.

Simon
December 10th, 2013, 6:56 PM
I wish you hadn't posted that......:(

agreed

turdpower
December 10th, 2013, 7:19 PM
DON'T.

I was pretty clear.

eldanielfire
December 10th, 2013, 7:45 PM
DON'T.

I was pretty clear.

You knew what you were doing :squint:

Andy
December 10th, 2013, 8:24 PM
Seriously, watch the Vieira/Keane thing. :yes:

turdpower
December 11th, 2013, 2:57 AM
Got in Sky Plussed. Does he give a reason why the fuck he picks Paul Parker over Gary Neville?

Andy
December 11th, 2013, 5:21 AM
I think he said Parker was better going forward and that Neville would be on the bench. Didn't really spend much time on it. Came across as if he didn't like Neville very much though.

All his digs at Fergie were quite funny, although saying he never went out to injure anyone was a joke.

Peter Griffin
December 11th, 2013, 9:01 AM
All the digs at Fergie made him look like a twat, Those two need to sit down and sort things it, its a real shame that with all those two achieved together it has come to this.

Red Dog
December 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Who is the best manager you played for? Brian Clough. Good lad Keano!

Gary J
December 11th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Changed his mind from his book then hasn't he? I'm sure I remember you and Keano's Magic Hat arguing about this before.

Red Dog
December 11th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Yeah and I was right then and I am right now. He doesn't even post anymore that's how beaten he was.

Peter Griffin
December 11th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Who is the best manager you played for? Brian Clough. Good lad Keano!

Yeh pretty sure Cloughie was a shell of his former self and a alcoholic mess by the time Keane got there, he was obviously just saying it because Fergie said nasty things about him.

Red Dog
December 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Yeh pretty sure Cloughie was a shell of his former self and a alcoholic mess by the time Keane got there, he was obviously just saying it because Fergie said nasty things about him.
1. He has said it before. 2. It is hardly surprising he rates a manager who bought him from Ireland and gave him his debut (at Anfield!) within a few weeks of joining. And helped turn him into a player who went for British transfer record. And thirdly, Clough was clearly a shell of his former self by then but we Keane still reached 2 cup finals at Forest, something your little club hasn't done since people had rations books.

Red Dog
December 11th, 2013, 2:01 PM
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-sorry-fergie-but-roys-right-to-be-so-keen-on-brian-clough-8997444.html

turdpower
December 11th, 2013, 2:25 PM
I'd love Keane and Fergie to patch things up just only so we can have honest opinions from Roy. I don't doubt he thought Clough was better, but all this stuff about Fergie not being loyal and how he's ruthless is a bit boring. I get it, you don't get on.

I wish they actually asked during that thing if he ever thought they would patch things up.

Peter Griffin
December 11th, 2013, 5:47 PM
Keane still reached 2 cup finals at Forest, something your little club hasn't done since people had rations books.

:rofl: Good one.

Red Dog
December 11th, 2013, 5:51 PM
I'd love Keane and Fergie to patch things up just only so we can have honest opinions from Roy. I don't doubt he thought Clough was better, but all this stuff about Fergie not being loyal and how he's ruthless is a bit boring. I get it, you don't get on.

I wish they actually asked during that thing if he ever thought they would patch things up.
Keane generally has come across as pretty honest though. Too honest for his own good at times. Eg the Haaland episode.

turdpower
December 11th, 2013, 7:18 PM
He's being honest about how he feels, but I don't think he's being true. And he'd definitely have different opinions if he and Fergie hadn't fallen out.

Red Dog
December 12th, 2013, 5:09 AM
And he'd definitely have different opinions if he and Fergie hadn't fallen out.

That's your opinion not a fact. He won more with Fergie obviously but he was the most expensive player in Britain - he was almost the finished article. Clough made him.

turdpower
December 12th, 2013, 1:29 PM
I'm not at all suggesting his opinion about Brian Clough would have changed - that's not the point I'm making.

I do think he would have a lot more respect and talk about Fergie in much more fonder terms if they hadn't fallen out. It's annoying to watch his little petty put downs and things all the time. Fergie vs Keane in a Bret/HBK style interview would be fucking ratings, though.